Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Blazer Noises and Sounds

Comments

• salesataksalesatak Member Posts: 2
    Thanx for the input on the distributor, it did even out, as for the "Vibration" The Gas pedal, actually "flutters" or "pulsates" although I will investigate your PVC theory...any other thoughts will be appreciated..... :shades:
  • jagmajjagmaj Member Posts: 8
    I'm getting a metallic clicking sound that seems to come from my left front wheel area when I'm driving, except when I make a left turn. The clicking is rhythmic and gets faster the faster I drive, as though somethings hitting the wheel, but I can't see anything that's rubbing. The Blazer (a 1997) has sat up for a few months without being driven and it didn't make the noise before.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there any chance you have a stone stuck in your tire tread?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'll check, but it sounds like a metal on metal clicking.
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    No rock or nail in the tire then check the brake pads and if low there is a metal clip called a squealer or indicator that conracts the rotor when the pad is almost gone. If not that check that the caliper slide bolts are greased. Then see if the meatl inserts that the pads slide on mounted in the caliper bracket are seated and the outside edge of the rotor is not conracting them (rust build up). If OK then check the front hubs - if it goes away when turning left then the right side is suspect. They will feel rough or grate if bad. If 4wd then there is also the CV axles so see if the boots ripped and grease coming out.
    Thanks-- that'll give me something to do this weekend. I'll post again with the results of my looking around.
    I pulled the wheels this weekend. The brake pads still have a lot of life left on them, but I relubed the caliper pins. After I put it all back together, the noise was much less. In fact now, the noise only happens during the first few seconds of acceleration and it doesn't seem quite as rhythmic-- more of a metallic rattle. Before, the clacking got worse as I gained speed and never went away except when I stopped or turned my steering wheel to the left. This tells me that your advice was close-- maybe I just need to do a better job of cleaning up my brake calipers.
    Sometimes the metal pad slide inserts get bent and contact the outside end of the rotor thats usually all rusty and can do that noise (spin and clean with a file or course sandpaper). Then don't forget to look at the rears cause they often sound like the fronts - so after you stop laughing and I'm not that dumb - look at them - my daughters was like that and she insisted front when in fact the rears were it.
  • scott79scott79 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys i get a wet floor board in back passenger side. When the ac is on. This is a 2000 Blazer ls 4 door. Any hints thanks
    It sounds like you have some condensation back there. You should post your question in the Chevrolet Trailblazer Maintenance and Repair topic so as not to confuse people looking for specific information.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The AC system drain from the heater box is passenger side right behind the engine compartment AC box and firewall and it actually is a hose with a flat end so that may be clogged (hard to see as the inner fender liner is up in there too). With AC on and condensation/water should be dripping down there behind the front wheel and frame area.
    No drianing and it can run down into the passenger compartment - and make sure its not dex cool smelling or the heater core may have a leak as the AC raises the engine temp and if it is watch the reservior level. Don't feel bad it you can't find the drain they are hidden but an AC shop should be able to do it in a few minutes and give you an AC check as well before summer anyway.
  • mkobmkob Member Posts: 10
    I have a clunking noise - well it actually sounds more like metal grinding while I am driving. It stops when I stop and is consistent with noise the time I am driving, it does not get louder at higher speeds. I am not sure what this could be? I heard it might be my cv axle, but is this what it sounds like when it goes out?
    It could be brake pads low (chripping or squeeling), calipers sticking, hub bearings (grating sound), CVs (looked for grease and ripped boots), or if just a clunk on suspension travel the lower ball joints. Have to jack it up and test/feel components play.
  • mkobmkob Member Posts: 10
    I know it's not the brake pads, the calipers seemed to be in good shape when I changed the brake pads. The CVs seemed to be in good shape also, it sounded more like the grating sound. As for the hub bearings, what happens if I am unable to change this right away?
  • geemick53geemick53 Member Posts: 4
    They get worse and the hub can wobble if really bad or fail/lockup in extreme failure. Normal is just the grating and loose front end and many drive them like that for some time until they figure out what it is. But you are the one driving it so you have to decide how bad it is.
  • birdman409birdman409 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 95 blazer 4wd Automatic trans. When i shift into drive, I get a loud "clunk" that seems to be coming from under the rear seat (in the transmission area). Any ideas to point me in the right direction?
    Also, I just had front driveaxles, shocks, ball joints and the front right idler arm and wheel bearing/hub assembly changed and got new tires and an alignment. I still have a good vibration in the steering wheel and what sounds like a bad bearing in the front passenger side. I plan to check it out this weekend, but I could use any advice or suggestions I can get. Thanks everyone.
    Check this out: Chevy Blazer 4WD Noise

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Check the U-joints for wear. Then the rear diff in many GMs gets the clunk when you put it in D as the clearances get sloppier. Check the front diff and transfer case for fluids. If the front rotors are way off (balance due to wear or rust)or the brakes dragging at all you will get front vib.
    Dumb question, but where are the U-joints and where can I check the transfer case for fluids?
    U-joints are on each end of the driveshaft and if you grab the shaft near the end and can feel play in those T shaped caps with roller bearings they need to be changed. Transfer case has 2 plugs on uts rear, upper to fill and check level, lower to drain it and replace all fluid.

Most transmission shops can check the cluck for you and usually give a free estimate.
  • kengebauerkengebauer Member Posts: 2
    My Blazer is making a low pitch humming sound when driving. There is no noise while idling or standing still. The noise seems to eminate from the rear wheel and is louder when coming in from a longer trip. Could this be a bearing problem and how can I test the bearing(s) to see if they have failed. If its a bearing how much is the fix $$? Thanks...
  • kengebauerkengebauer Member Posts: 2
    Could be but I would look at the front hubs first. The U-joints could be getting worn also. As for the rear make sure you have a full differential - pull the plug about half way up and 80w-90 gear oil should be to bottom of hole. Also make the trans is full.
  • troublelighttroublelight Member Posts: 4
    I began having a very loud sound after driving @ 60 mph. It sounded like an 18 wheeler was coming up behind me & had to downshift to avoid colliding. I looked around & didn't see a truck, but pulled off the highway to assess. I drove the distance home without any further incident & since fluid levels checked out & no service panel lights glowed I presumed it had been a truck. I proceeded to drive around on city streets no problem. Then when driving again on the highway about 45 minutes into the drive it happened again. The sound was constant even though I was decelerating & continued until I parked. 45 min. later I get back in & proceed to drive 100 miles on the interstate without the sound . The dealership cannot find a thing wrong. The car only has 55K miles, though almost all of these are in town miles verses highway. Needing to drive again on the highway the sound came back after an hour into the highway drive. IT makes the loud noise but doesn't conflict with performance that I can tell. You do not lose pwer nor any indicator lights blinking. You can continue to drive without incident again once the car has sat for 10 min. or so. A friend diagnosed a bad fan clutch which I propmptly replaced. Thinking my troubles were over I drove the 150 miles home with no problems. Making a return trip, it happens again after 4 hours of highway driving. Now the noise happens sooner than the hour mark, of course it is summer & 95 degrees.The sound tends to diminish greatly when I get up to higher speeds but when accelerating up or decelerating down it gets progressively louder. I have now heard a brief clicking sound in both the extreme right&left in cabin by wheel well. This is making my life miserable especially when the experts cannot diagnose the issue. The U joints were inspected & I've been told it can't be anything electronic or the computer would have flagged it. Any advice at all or similar experience is deeply appreciated.
    Margaretanne & Michael in Jefferson City, MO
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Check the muffler carefully. With this many years and these few miles, the internals may have collapsed. Just had a similar thing happen on a '99 with 78K miles. Makes some awful noises, but not all the time. Check to see if there is a lot of discoloration on the body of the muffler, and rusty looking drainage from the weep/drain hole on the back of the muffler.
    Interesting, good tip, I will check. Can you describe the awful noise that you were having & was it primarily after running at higher speeds for 30-40 minutes? I say that my noise, which my partner believes is at around 100 decibels, is coming from around the cockpit area & only when wheels are in motion. So glad to have some ideas coming forward. I am at a great disadvantage when several experts have looked it over & can't diagnose. In fact, every thing electronically reads out as tip top shape. Thanks so much for your input jl. Margaretanne McJunkin
  • lowblazalowblaza Member Posts: 1
    hi im new. i have a 2000 blazer with a problem i cant find. after owning a 94 for 5 years youd think id be able to find it.
    anyway..... the problem is, is that something is squeaking after the truck gets hot. but only hot from driving. not from idling. its a high pitch squeak. if i start the truck cold....about a half hour into driving, the squeaking starts. and it follows the speed of the engine, you know?
    ok, one day i jacked the rear and drove it for like 45 minutes, but it wouldnt do it. as soon as i dropped the back and started driving, it started the problem.
    so its only under load. now....if i drive for about 30 minutes and stop....and idle. it wont squeak. but if i drive for an hour and stop and idle, it will do it in park, nuetral, reverse, everything.
    so..... i havent much time to try to find out where this is coming from, becuz once the temp goes down just a bit, the noise stops.

ok, i replaced the belt, and so far thats it.
    i wd-40'd all of the pullys and stuff.
    what i am afraid of is....when i bought the truck, they replaced the tranny with one from a junkyard.
    could something inside a tranny make suck a noise? ANY ideas would be helpfull!!
    it is so aggravating i wont even drive the truck anymore. please help!!!!!!
    Reposting / DESPERATE/ all advice welcomed, especially REPAIRDOG
    BACKGROUND:
    Vehicle recently inherited/ 56K on the clock/ Most likely never driven more than 45 miles in one direction until my recent ownership, May '07
    Fancy, Michelin tires may not be original

PROBLEM:
    EXTREMELY loud noise, at least 100 decibels
    Occured predictibly, at first, 45 min. into highway driving @ 60 mph. noise continuing until turning off engine ( have driven up to several miles). Starts back up & no sound ( usually drive another 70 miles with no incident)
    Initially sounded like an 18 wheeler had to downshift from high speeds on top of me

Noise coming from cockpit area
    Don't lose power, can drive through
    No obvious vibration
    No steering difficuly
    No indicator lights on/blinking
    Happens when a/c on & or off
    Cruise control engaged
    Operating in 2WD at time
    Normally don't have noise in city driving
    Wheels must be in motion for noise to occur
    Last 2 episodes, brief clicking sound at extreme right then left wheel area (not at same time)
    Replaced fan clutch, with hindsight, apparently in error
    Dealer rules out anything electronic,no computer messages, clean bill of health
    UVC joints checked OK
    RECENT ABBERATION:
    Noise occured uncharestically 20 min. into highway drive, of course temps. outside 95 degrees now.Using car 24 hours later, noise occured immediately when driving forward continuing to increase upon acceleration/deceleration, subsiding @ 70mph , 30 miles to home & sound gone

Difficult to describe sound with language, giving above deets best I can offer wtih my limited expertise. Obligations require me to drive 2+ hours on highway 1-2 x/ month, current situation untenable
    SOS
  • hikick1hikick1 Member Posts: 39
    My 2001 blazer is at it again. This time it is whining and screaching from the front somewhere. I cannot pinpoint if it is the brake rotors or under the hood at a pulley. It only happens at low speed. It also shudders or vibrates a little when I take off from first gear from stop. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • hikick1hikick1 Member Posts: 39
    I found out that the "new" brakes on my 2001 Blazer I purchased in June 2007, were worn completely out. Changed pads just in time. This eliminated the squeal. But I have developed a squeaky sound at low speeds, now. I still need any suggestions here. I'll check anything....it seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. As I speed up it seems to disappear until I reach less than 5mph again upon slowing down...
  • jeremys26jeremys26 Member Posts: 2
    have 2003 blazer 4x4, no major problems, except bad gas mileage, was driving on ice decided to switch into 4 wheel drive hi, pushed button, it is 4x4 on the fly right? running 35 mph, pushed 4x4, got funny grinding sound, acted like didnt want to go anywhere, grinding, loud.. under blazer, so when heard the sound, pushed in rear wheel 2x4 and still had sound, slowed down to 15 mph, and pushed in 4x4 low, still had the grinding sound, then pushed in normal rear wheel drive, and must have hit a bump but felt a tug of the vehicle and a loud bang, and then it started driving fine again, needless to say, wondering why it happened and what it might have been, haven't used 4x4 since...could it have been frozen?, it was 15 degrees that day..took it in about 4 months ago to jiffy lube and they changed the rear differential fluid...could it have been something they did? thank you in advance
  • souzasouza Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 Chevy Blazer with 130,000 it didnt make any noise 1 month ago .. now i hear a noise all the time.. seems like since the snow, rain and cold weather came it hasnt stopped.. I dont plan on keeping the truck for long so i hate to put alot of money into it... any ideas what it could be or how it can be cheaply fixed its wa :mad: s in perfect condition when i bought it 2 months ago.. i paid 3800.00
  • ncslaterncslater Member Posts: 3
    I read mostly everything before posting as didn't see anything that covered this topic. I have a whining noise I can hear through my speakers. It seemed to go away right after changing the serpentine belt but 2 days later came back. It appears to be related to speed of vehicle. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • skiextreme2skiextreme2 Member Posts: 30
    I just got an 02 Blazer with auto trans, 4wd, 4dr, 87K, and get a wind noise around the front door/window, has anyone had this problem or heard of it. :confuse: It only happens from about 35mph and up to highway speeds and does not go away till at lower than 35.It also seems to increase at higher speeds or when driving into the wind. I wonder if it's from the space where the door meets the fender or roof support, as there seems to be a lot of open space there, or maybe it's from wind hitting the mirror. I would really like to cure this, it's very distracting and annoying.
  • kustomkidkustomkid Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 99 chevy blazer just over 100K miles 4 dooor 4wd automatic 4.3 runs great. Just recently however, i put my turn signal on and proceeded to turn, but when i finished turning and shut off the blinker, the signals were still clicking as if they are on. the flasher located behind the glove compartment keeps clicking and never shuts off unless the car is off. ALSO very strange, when i'm driving it stops clicking when i apply the breaks. freaky i know. i changed out the flasher and all the bulbs are working properly. i dunno what to do next. open to any and all suggestions. thanks.
  • asap444asap444 Member Posts: 1
    when the weather turns cold get a bad squeaking when you rock the truck in park or stop and go any hints????? it seems to be in front center greased all fittings, still squeaks
  • beyondtime024beyondtime024 Member Posts: 5
    I am wondering if anyone has had a similar problem!!I have a 99 blazer 4 wheel drive and it seems that any time I even touch anything on my steering column my ticker for my turn signal will tick tock all on it's own!! None of the lights flash but it just keeps ticking!!!
  • vincelvincel Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a screaching noise in the front of my car i think its the idler pulley. Is this a common part to wear and screach. I thought it was the tensioner and replaced it the noise somewhat went away but is still there. If someone could help i would appreciate it thanks.
  • peachyjones76peachyjones76 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Blazer w/ about 85000 miles. I am desperately seeking an explanation for this whining noise. It sounds like WEEOOOH (best I can do lol), and it is definitely related to giving it gas. When you let off the gas the noise winds down. In the last week I have replaced the alternator, tensioner and belt, and also intake manifold and gaskets, and I keep getting the truck back with the same noise.
    I was told that these vehicles have an issue with the torque converter. Could a faulty converter cause a whistle like whining noise? I really can't afford all of this guesswork with the mechanics... Thanks
  • brgriffibrgriffi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Blazer LS, 115,000mi, 4.3L Vortec. I am hearing what I can only describe as a low pitched buzzing noise that seems to be coming from under the dash on the driver's side while in drive or in park while idling. Increase rpms and it goes away. I cannot hear the noise from outside or under the hood. The noise seems to be getting louder so I am worried it might be something serious. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what this would be?
  • beersbeers Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 chevy blazer,just had the computer,fuel injectors,spark plugs and wires and a oil change done,they also adjusted my idleling,which i think its too high now,but anyway,now all of a sudden my truck is loseing power again esp going up hills and its pulling back,and when i back up it sounds like metal hitting together,any ideas? :(
  • munchie83munchie83 Member Posts: 2
    have a 2000 4dr, 4x4 blazer, 115,000kms roughly. makes a noise every once in a while from front passenger side, but only when driving in a straight line...makes a sorta clunk noise. no noise when turning gradually or sharp, doesn't pull to the right. almost sounds like a shock bottoming out, that kinda clunk. im pretty stumped.....anyone else??
  • munchie83munchie83 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 blazer, had the tranny replaceed under GM warranty July 2006. The noise im hearing is like a card in a bikes spokes, but lower tone. noise only happens as soon as you start the truck and let it idle, go to reverse or drive, and you hear this weird noise. come to a stop, truck makes a clunk or a tock, then noise is gone until you shut off the engine, then it all starts over. the truck doesnt rev funny, or idle weird or anything, it runs fine except for this noise right when you start moving after starting it up.
  • hillbilly73hillbilly73 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 73 blazer jus resently there has been a screeching metal on metal sound coming from the front it happens between 1000 to 2500 rpm under load only when excelerating and braking. In nutral and park no noise. i was thinking that it was a loose pully but not sure.
    Thanks for the help if anyone knows anything.
  • binaflahbinaflah Member Posts: 1
    I have a trailblazer 2006 LT (7 Passengers), in the last couple of days I start hearing this ticking or taping sound from inside in the rear aft, right hand area. Once I insert the key and turn it, before I start the engine, the sound start off. it starts for few seconds and then stops, and then after a few secods it starts again, it hapens for a few rounds and the it stops for good, and I hear it again the next time I start my car, any ideas??
  • blazerwoesblazerwoes Member Posts: 3
    When I hit the gas I hear a squeaking sound coming from under the vehicle...seems like it's near the rear end? It speeds up as I speed up..high pitched, like an old bent wheel that squeaks at a certain point of rotation. It goes away if I hit the brake or just idle down the road, re appears if I acellerate again. Gets louder if I hit the gas hard it and rock the vehicle back.

HELP!! :(