Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you want to exchange dealer contact info that can't be found on the web, please mark your email address public in your profile so people can contact you, or set up your CarSpace page and use that email.

That'll keep the conversation moving along and there won't be emails in the posts for the spambots to harvest. Thanks!
  • jr318jr318 Member Posts: 17
    Hey Joe,
    They deleted my post with my email in it.I have spoke and dealt with Lori.Two things to beware of when setting up an appointment are, call the day before make sure the parts are in, my jeep sat there for a full day with them knowing they didn't have the parts to fix it! So not right, also when you call make sure they have your reservation for a rental car.In my experience she called the morning of and they gave me a car with no 4 wheel or front wheel drive and it was snowing really bad.Totally unexplainable to me.I bought 4 wheel drive for a reason.Im not fond of driving in snow without it! At the rental place they also have cargo vans thats what they wanted to give me do to the fact she called the day i needed the car.They did after 3 times fix the leak.But now it is diverted to the door jam at floor level.The rain at night going down to the jam freezing and having a hard time with it opening doors because their is ice all on the bottom door jam like a half inch.I haven't gone up to address this yet.I bought new because im busy and i don't have time to waste(dropping off my jeep then going across the street to get the rental then going back at the end of the day time is money for me) so soon i will be making yet another appointment for the same problem.Advantage and jeep have known about this they told me after the fact that they have had a few back for this problem.She also told me there are holes for drainage on the floor boards.Can you imagine i know there is but come on..With all that said I do love it and can't wait to remove the top for summer fun.Im hoping all of this doesn't start again when i put the hard top back on in the fall.GOOD LUCK
  • rodandkathyrodandkathy Member Posts: 1
    When customers go to buy a New Jeep the Dealers or Chrysler should tell them about the leaking top. We have owned 4 Jeeps in the past and would have probally bought a new one, only without the hard top if they had told us about the problems they were having with the hard top leaking. We purchased our 2008 Jeep Wrangler in Dec 2007. As of today we have had it back to the deeler 4 times for the leaking top. We have heard every excuse you can think of, now they finally say it is a design problem. The service dept. has put in new seals twice. The third time they even put Silicone between the Hard top and fram (won't that look good this summer when we take the top off). Its in the shop now (this is the fourth). I cant wait to pick it up and see what the fix is this time. After Silicone its hard to tell.
  • dashboardjesusdashboardjesus Member Posts: 8
    I bought mine in Nov. of 2007 and it has been to the shop 4 times to be fixed with no luck. Chrysler has offered to buy mine back. However, today it is really nice out and I took the freedom top panels out for the first time. Have you looked at the "seal kit" that they put in? What a joke. It's nothing more than pieces of foam tape. I really like my wrangler minus the leak and the whole thought of selling it back is really depressing. This is my first jeep. I have wanted one for so long and this is my luck. I am considering trying to fix it myself, I can't do any worse. I'll let you know if I find a fix. Good luck to you.
  • tcs2tcs2 Member Posts: 11
    Just curious.....Did Chrysler offer you even close to what you paid?
  • greengirl4jgreengirl4j Member Posts: 29
    Chrysler .....what a joke!!!! I waited 4ever for my jeep.....and I am still waiting! I tried to order the 4 door Sahara Unlimited 6 speed manual with all the fun stuff when it first came out. Couldn't get the dual top...then they stopped production for awhile. Waited a year! Had one dealer nightmare at Massey Yardley in Plantation, Florida and went back to my fleet friend....he placed my order through another fleet dealer located within Eddie Acardie dealership....BIG MISTAKE...and I warned him!!!! Order was placed on 1/3/08. I waited until March...kept calling... finally...it is supposedly in....I went by to check the lot that evening of the call and looked online in their inventory...something close but not mine....wrong top, interior, and a smoker's group! They assured me that my jeep with all ordered features was there on their fleet side. They are about to drop it off on a flat bed to my office because it is Good Friday and they want to go home...I asked them to check order compared to what was on their lot! My fleet dealer friend's order was correct but....Of course.... it was the wrong jeep!!!!! They blamed the factory!!!! Their best response???? How about we put leather seats in it? What do you take me for??? It's a jeep! Can you imagine leather after one off road run with the ever so popular leaky hard top every one keeps talking about!?! She was supposed to call me back the very next morning about one in Calfornia that may match my order.....never heard from this dipchick again but heard from the Fleet GM 5 days later. He called to ask how well I was "enjoying my new jeep because with Chrysler and Eddie Acardie, customer satisfaction is their highest priority!""!!!!!! I think I am going FORD!!!
    They offered a full refund. No usage fee, and they are liable to purchase any accesories that I put on or had installed. Originally I had asked for a new hardtop to try and solve the leak issue but they refused. Then I asked for a new jeep. They will offer me any Chrysler or Jeep product with the exception of a jeep wrangler. When I asked why not a wrangler I was told that the leaky roof is still an unresolved issue and that there would be no guarantee that a new wrangler or new top wouldn't leak.
    Isn't that nice of them? I didn't buy a wrangler because I really liked the dodge ram....I wish I were one of those people that didn't have a leak.
    I wish the new liberty looked more like the Dodge Nitro that it was modeled after. I thought it would be cool with the retractable roof but I test drove it and it was like a soccer mom mobile feel. Anyway, I am back to square one. I don't know where to start..I am not paying 30+ for a link mobile that rusts after a few months. I noticed a co-workers 4 door Unlimited X is completely rusted by the exhaust and it is obviously only a year old at the most!
    Mine also has some rust on and around the muffler. I've only had it 4 1/2 months.
    So, DBJesus,

Got a suggestion for me....think it is Jesus saying "not the jeep for ya" after I waited 3 months and the wrong vehicle came in? I ordered the Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 6 speed manual with all the stuff. Meanwhile, on the older jeep I have, I got a new top for it from 4WD and it leaked on Easter Sunday...entire jeep flooded due to the downpour we had. I love jeeps but I am over all the hassle!

greengirl4jesus
  • mikeya2112mikeya2112 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Guys,

I have a 08 Wrangler X with a leaky freedom top also. I also just noticed that the hinge pins on both doors are beginning to rust. The dealer fix for this is to give the owner a container of touch up paint, at least according to my service manager. Has anyone else encountered this issue? The service manager told me that these are the same hinges that have been used for years on Wranglers, has this always been an issue?

Any input would be appreciated

~Mike
    My hinge pins are showing slight signs of oxidation, no major rust there. How many times have you been to the dealer for the leaky roof? I don't know what the lemon laws are where you live, but 4 was the magic number before chrysler offered to buy mine back. The trouble is that I really love this thing. You may want to go for the buyback and try to find an 06'. I took the two top panels off for the first time last week when we had nice weather...The seal repair kit is a JOKE. Whoever came up with that solution should be castrated so he can't contaminate the world with his filth. I did a self fix on the leak and so far so good. It's a shame that a consumer spends 24,000 + for a new vehicle to be free from hassles and gets nothing but. Chrysler solution...buy it back and auction it. You may want to try bringing your jeep to a window place. They are experts at fixing leaks. Unlike Chrysler. As I said before, there are a lot of people with leaks, and on the flip side of that coin there are a lot of people that have no leak issues at all. It is just unfortunate that we ended up with the jeeps that were made on the friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.
    Also keep in mind that Chrysler is no longer Daimler Chrysler. They are Chrysler L.L.C. Chrysler is suffering financial issues just like the rest. Could it be possible that they are trying to save pennies and making them cheaper? I don't know. Just my opinion.
  • jr318jr318 Member Posts: 17
    I have had the leaks 3 times but now i have drips coming in on the floor when the doors are opened and it happens to be raining..I also have rust on my hinges and a rusted [non-permissible content removed] muffler..I wish i had read this board before i bought mine it has been one big pain in the butt..I should have bought another GMC i never had that back in the shop at all..But wanted new and different now im paying for it.Back and forth to the dealer its nuts! to say the least i am not happy!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The service manager told me that these are the same hinges that have been used for years on Wranglers..............

That style hinge was introduced in '07. I expect that people who first bought a Model A Ford and had a problem were told "They all do that!".
    Service training 101....... :shades:
  • sm8770sm8770 Member Posts: 3
    I have been reading up on the 4-door Wrangler, as well as the Toyota fj cruiser...trying to decide between these two vehicles.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A few questions i have not seen answered:

1. while i dislike using stick shift in city driving, does the 6 speed manual far outperform the 4 speed automatic? Better acceleration, gas mileage, more quiet highway driving, etc.?

2. how quiet/noisy is the hard top on city streets and, especially, on the highway?

3. are the issues i read regarding water running into cabin when doors are opened
    after a rain still felt to be an issue?

4. how long to change from hard to soft top, and back the other way?

FYI, i will be new to the use of an suv and i do not intend to do off-road driving, but i like the safety factor in inclement weather, and i absolutely love the looks of both the Jeep and Toyota.

Thanks for your help and advice.
  • deperez007deperez007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks. I just ordered an '08 JK Sahara Unlimited with hard top, auto trans, and a 3.73:1 rear axle. I would like to swap out the factory wheels and tires with the 17 inch JK Rubicon wheels and Firestone Destination M/T LT285/70R17 tires. I really don't want to go too large and I realize that these will not be that much bigger than the factory 18 inch wheels and P255/70R18 tires that come standard. Just a different look and slightly bigger. I intend to also add the Warn Rock Crawler Bumper with the Warn Power Plant HP winch mounted on it (front) and the Rampage Recovery bumper (rear). I then want to slightly "spacer" lift the Jeep to give it "that look." Given the wheel/tire size and the additional weight of the bumpers/winch, and so as not to make the wheel/tire combo look small in the opening, any thoughts on what size spacers I should use? 3/4 inch? 1-3/4 inch? 2 inch? Different size front and rear? Any recommendations on replacing shocks? How soon is the tax rebate coming?

Any help, advice, or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks. Steve

And remember, let's be careful out there...
    A manual will always get better gas mileage. The 6 speed definitely handled better but I have been driving sticks for awhile! If they are going to make a jeep in auto, they should at least make a 5 peed if not 6 auto! I would never order a 4 speed auto. However, after my last train wreck in order attempts and hearing about all the leaks, rust, and trips back to the dealer from everyone, I am finally giving up on purchasing this vehicle after 2 years!!!!! It isn't worth the $32000........Go with the cruiser!!!!!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I have been reading up on the 4-door Wrangler, as well as the Toyota fj cruiser...trying to decide between these two vehicles.

There's a whole discussion devoted to that very subject here: Toyota FJ Cruiser vs. Jeep Wrangler
  • sm8770sm8770 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input.

With all the posts here about water leakage and rust, I am
    am starting to think the toyota may be the way to go.

I am going to take a second test drive today; maybe they will have
    a stick I can try.

Thanks
  • stu9stu9 Member Posts: 4
    I agree 100% with your article, including the 3 lemons, and would like to add some of my experiences.
    My JK hardtop jeep has been back to the dealer 8 times for the leaking roof. Here is it's history from Dec 07 when the trouble started. (I bought it in August 07)
    First leak occurred onto the CD player, then onto the dashboard both driver & passenger sides. I was given every excuse in the book as to why it was leaking. Then I was told a TSB had been issued, and they were waiting on parts from overseas. I had to wait 5 weeks for the so called parts which turned out to be a tube of silastic and some 3M sticky backed foam, that I could have bought from my local hardware shop. Guess what, I drove it home in the rain, and it leaked again, this time onto the drivers side window sill.
    In March 08 I was on my way home from a 4wd trip, gearing down a steep hill behind another vehicle when I was required to use my brakes. My foot went flat to the floor twice before I managed to veer off the road onto a grassy embankment and apply my hand brake. I pumped the brake pedal several times before the brakes started to firm up again. On reporting this to the dealership I was firstly told it was incorrect brake fluid, then the brake booster, and finally the master cylinder. The master cylinder was replaced, and about a month ago the brakes failed yet again, only this time I couldn't press the brake in at all.
    This was the final straw, after 5 months of absolute hell I traded it in.
    What really gets to me was the overall attitude from Chrysler. The water leaks were bad enough, but the loss of brakes were treated like," what's your problem, it was only the brakes". I was offered no compensation in anyway, and when I suggested maybe a new roof would help regarding the leaks I was told they don't do that anymore.
    I'm asking the same question that many other people are asking. "Why are Chrysler still persisting in selling faulty Hardtop Jeeps"? Also has anyone else had problems with there brakes failing? :cry::cry::cry:
    :confuse: So, after your brake disaster, did you trade it in or sell it? If so, what vehicle will you purchase now? I am still looking after my Wrangler order disaster? :cry: Gas prices as well as negative Chrysler reviews definitely influencing my decision. :sick:
    I traded it in on a Kia Sorento, which so far has proved to be a 100% improvement over the Jeep. I will admit that with off road driving the Jeep is better in heavy conditions, but the Sorento isn't all that far behind. On tar & dirt roads the Sorento is the way to go, also the diesel economy is a lot better. But the main reason I'm wrapped in the Sorento is because the brakes work & it doesn't leak plus the after sale service is great.Good Luck with your decision. :)
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Greengirl, I purchased a 2008 Jeep Wrangler (4WD) Sahara edition with a six speed manual and the soft top. I have been very happy with the vehicle and the only problem(s) suffered thus far, was an unplugged connection for the rear windows and a broken wire on the Sirius satellite radio antenna. The dealer, Douglas Jeep in Venice, Florida took care of the problems immediately and loaned me a brand new loaded Jeep Liberty while repairs were made. Any vehicle, or for that matter, any item is only as good as the dealer standing behind it. I preached and lived that doctrine through 37 years in the mobile construction equipment industry. I am happy to hear that you are a "happy camper" because I am of the belief that working brakes are a boon to safe motoring.

Bookitty
    Bookitty, You got what I ordered back in 1/08 with the exception of the dual top that supposedly has leak potential on hard top. I also ordered the My Gig and tow package. Anyway, as it came in wrong and as I had more dealer and fleet dealer drama since that time, I think I have finally given up on Jeep. I had waited on the new liberty with retractable top to come in but since none were available to test drive with that top at that time and as I didn't like base model, I went with Sahara because I have always liked them and wanted to join the Jeep off road adventures! However, with gas prices this high and probably going up, I think I will be taking "Staycations" instead. Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking about VW or Hybrids. :)
    Stu9- Thanks for the feedback and tip! What do you think of the VW Tiguan? I test drove it last weekend. I liked it but heard Track and Field off road edition is only available in Europe. The "4wheels in motion" available here is a pseudo-AWD...great for rocky roads and has 18 inch steep angle approach but a very far cry from Jeep anything! :cry:
    I bought an inventory unit even though I didn't want the tow package. I would have preferred the 3:21 axle(s) ratio but had no choice. The tow receiver replaces the rear tow hook and is a simple four bolt installation. The lighting package is a plug in at the left taillight and is also uncomplicated to install. The price for both items is around $100.00 purchased aftermarket. We have just shipped our Jeep unlimited via car carrier from Florida to New Jersey and it is sitting in our driveway awaiting our arrival on June 5th. I am thinking about ordering a BestTop end of trail cover so that I can leave the top down and not worry about rain, etc. There is an experimental automobile being built in India that runs on compressed air. That would mean that it is an "owner renewable" fuel source (if it ever comes to market and the inventor is not assassinated by "Big Oil").

Bookitty
    We need Hybrid Jeeps! LOL Have you towed anything with your Wrangler yet?

GreenGirl4J :shades:
    Greengirl, no I have not. I do use the receiver to mount my home manufactured bicycle rack and for a winch mount. With a 3.8 liter engine, I wouldn't expect much towing performance except for a very small trailer load. I am certain that one or more of the membership has tried towing and could answer your question more intelligently.

Bookitty
    Greengirl4j-We don't have the VW Tiguan in Australia yet, although apparently it's on the way according to the car guide in the local paper. So I'm sorry to say I can't make an opinion as yet, although its review read well.
    In Aussie our main overseas 4wd's are from the Asian market, with the biggest seller being Toyota, although European cars are making more of an inroad.
    stu9
  • moisha3moisha3 Member Posts: 8
    hey everyone! new here and had to join in...most interesting..noticed all the comments about leaks, but it seems that all the leak problems are in the hard top..I just purchased a new 08 wrangler X back in May 08..got the base model with auto, a/c, and regular fold down top..hasn't really rained a whole lot here in Georgia but did get caught in a couple of downpours. The only thing I have noticed is when ya'll open the door ya get a little run off. Other than that no leaks to speak of. Is the leak problem subject to hard top and sundowner tops exclusively? I have had no similar problems as of yet! Am I lucky or is my time yet to come!!! Other than that everything else is doin just fine..Whoa-did have one problem...it didn't have a lighter and bought an after market...blew three fuses before I finally brought it back..they had it for ten minutes, gave me a mopar lighter and never blew another fuse..Ride safe , have fun..later ya'll...
    :surprise: Stu9 Thanks for the update....Australia....beautiful!!!!!
    How's your gas mileage been? :confuse:
    greengirl4---19 mpg around town ( small town ), and 22 hwy...without a/c...17 with a/c in town and 20 hwy with a/c...but just cracked the 1000 barrier on speedo...expect it will go up some..also not heavy footed..all speed limit and no racin off the light...
    anyone havin any problems with standard fold down top?
  • luvthejeepluvthejeep Member Posts: 2
    Hey there, just signed up. Well, let me tell you first that I really do love the Jeep Wrangler. I was one of the first in line to purchase an 07 Sahara. It lasted with me for only 8 months due to constant leaking issues. It was a leased truck, and was happy to find out that it qualified rather quickly for the Lemon Law. ):lemon: ) I received all of my money back including the deposit. Still waiting for the interest...
    Also, I went the day after cashing my check, and purchased a 08 honda CRV... great on gas, but not for me... :( . Believe it or not, planning on purchasing another Jeep, and hope for the best. Is this crazy???? Crossing my fingers, legs, arms........etc.
  • luvthejeepluvthejeep Member Posts: 2
    Hi, just left a posting. but really quick. My 07 Sahara was returned due to leaks. It qualified under Lemon Law. check the Internet re: questions about L.L in your state. I live in NYC. I received all of my money back. In process of getting another one.
    I finally gave up on jeep! I am curious ...with all the headaches :sick: and the gas prices as high as they are now :mad: ...why are you even considering jeep again? :lemon: For the 2.99 gas for 3 years special? If so, heard the rebate offer amounted to better savings...anyway, as far as your purchase of the CRV...I was telling my friends...My biggest fear is that I will give up on real trucks and settle for the CRV Egg Mobile!!! LOL :cry: Not even close to being there yet!!! :shades:
    did ya 07 sarhara have the sundowner top or hard top...so far my 08 with the standard rag top has had no leaks..maybe lucky or not hard enough rain? also another reply on here lemon lawed there sahara and chrysler would not let them get another jeep!!!!
    to all those with leaks on there wrangler X-Sahara-etc...if you look under top where it goes across the rubber molding you will see or should see weather stripping on each corner...if not then that is your first problem...now if you do have the weather stripping, try taking off the two corner pieces and run one piece acrosss from one side to the other...wahla...no leaks and alot less wind noise comin in thru front...a simple $3.00 fix...
  • ross16ross16 Member Posts: 5
    Just curious. Are you located in NJ? My 2008 Wrangler with 300 miles on it has a Freedom Top that leaks. I made an appointment for next week and the dealer said they are bringing in the Water Doctor. Any further problem with leaks?
  • sgtrock62sgtrock62 Member Posts: 7
    No, I live in SC. I haven't had another leak. They got it right the first time. Hope they do as well on yours. Good luck.
    out of curiosity? did the docotr's use weather strip or silicone bead? I didn't and haven't had any leaks so far but noticed that on regular top each corner had a small piece of weather strip...everytime top was down one or the other flew off with the wind..keep weather strip in glove box and ran it across the whole top from corner to corner...cut down on wind noise and still no leaking! as far as ya post-"don't buy a wrangler" my big dog would have a fit if I didn't...afterall ya can't put 225lbs in any four door that I know of...he loves the top down and drooling onto cars that tailgate..
    Moisha, you may have inadvertently fixed the problem when you applied the weather strip. Seems as though it works. There really is no valid excuse for Jeep to have this problem this long. It's not as if they invented the wheel and cannot take it further. happy to hear that you seem to have a solution, and now I'm making a mental note to keep a considerable distance behind you to avoid "drool."

Norm
  • sgtrock62sgtrock62 Member Posts: 7
    They used weather strips no top and put silicone bead along the bottom on the inside of the windshield. Not sure why they did that, but in anycase, they fixed the problem.
    yo norm...it's only bad when it's hot, or he drinks and shakes his head, but the drool isn't the deterent...it's his 36" neck, 50" chest and 225+lbs that'll make ya keep ya distance...and he's only a puppy...as far as the weather strip, I caught that one by coincedence when going to put the top up and seeing one side missing...but it does indeed work! I do believe if ya'll could put a bead of silicone across that whole piece it would probably work better, since the weather strip's glue has a tendency to loosen up and go flying down the road...
    rock62---that one baffles me...inside bottom of window! if anything there is enough of a gap around the outside perimeter where ya could put a molding thus oliviate any water or wind from penetrating to the inside...which is my next move..and if that works I just might patent it and charge Jeep for the idea...but glad it all worked out for ya bud! btw--ya think chrome or black rubber?
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    I am considering the purchase of my third Jeep Wrangler, however I am concerned over the Leaky Lid Syndrome. When I got my '00 TJ, the owner's material (VHS tape) listed the steps for top installation and removal in a specific order. Does the '08 JK have a similar process for top installation and removal? If there is a specific procedure, could the leaks be caused by not following the steps in order?
    I believe that the leaks are inherent in the four door hard top, which removes in sections. Some of the members have been able to stop the leaks using various types of weather seal and/or that old Chrysler standby; dum-dum. I have the rag top, and love it!

Norm
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    Norm,
    Does the soft top leak? It's a shame that Chrysler has not officially 1) admitted that there is a problem, 2) offered a legitimate solution to current owners, 3) ensured that this does not occur on forthcoming models. An old Jeep may leak on its Road Atlas, but a new Jeep should not leak on its Nav System. In my opinion this is a disappointing situation because the Wrangler seems to be a relatively strong product, yet the Detroit 3 ask for a GubMint bailout. Listen to customers, sell what people want, maybe the circling of the drain can be averted. End of rant. Matt.
    Matt, my rag-top Wrangler does not leak. Sometimes after a hard rain, you will get some water coming in when you open the door (no drip channels) but that is very minor and after all, it's not a Volvo. Not everyone gets leakage as I understand it, but enough folks experience it so that we know it's not a phenonoman. Of course, people don't normally report that their vehicle doesn't leak. That is a fair expectation.

Norm