Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 Electronics and Navigation

lostchildlostchild Member Posts: 17
Does the XC90 have a very weak radio reception? Some of the FM stations that were normally very strong in my other cars were weak at the XC90, and some of the AM stations that were normally okay got no signal at all at the XC90. Is there anything I can do to boose the radio reception?

Comments

• dortordortor Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am looking at purchasing a GPS - probably a TomTom. But the dash mounting looks like it may be a problem. Has anyone else purchased one - any good/bad experiences and recommendations? Thanks!
  • nonna1nonna1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm driving a 2006 XC90 V-8 AWD and love it except for one thing. My headlights go on and off spasmodically. I get a message...bulb failure low beam...but since they are on a lot it's not the bulb. My dealership (under warranty) performed a computer update to try and resolve the issue...did not help. When I kill my engine and restart they come on again. Sometimes if I simply turn the light switch they come back. Has anyone else had this isse?
  • bryangmdbryangmd Member Posts: 27
    Can anyone give me an idea of the installed price of the Volvo bluetooth?

Thanks,
  • jimmc2008jimmc2008 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same headlight problem with my 2004 XC90. Have had the right low beam bulb replaced twice in one year so it is either really bad bulbs or some electrical problem with the car itself. I am having the same "on and off again" headlight problem right now and have a service appt. next week. I noticed that Volvo dealer never seem to acknowledge that the XC90s are problem cars and that they, of course, always want you to pay for Volvo's inherent defects. I had a clogged sunroof drain that flooded the passenger side floor of my XC90 and the dealership in Austin, Texas acted as though this was not a common problem--I heard from a friend that clogged sunroof drains on the XC90 are a problem.
  • aalqudwahaalqudwah Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an updated map software for my XC90 T6 navigation. doaes anyone know how to replase the existing software with the new one. Someone told just all it takes is to eject the old DVD and insert the new one. My problem is I can't find the eject button on the DVD player which is located under the driver seat. Has anyone done this before?
  • carluver92carluver92 Member Posts: 1
    :) to eject the navagation DVD slide the cover down on the front of the player, then the dvd will eject, make sure your xc90 is on
  • abvbyndabvbynd Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2005 XC90 V8 with Volvo Navigation system. We have updated the maps every year. In the last few months the system just looses where we are and sometimes it will relocate us on the GPS but other times we have to shut the sytem down and it may not re-locate our position for a day or two (which is frustrating when travelling!). We also purchased a Garmin to take with us in case...Has anyone else had problems like this with the Volvo Nav system? We re going to take it in to the dealer to check it out, I am sure it should be covered on our Extended Volvo TotalCare Warranty, at least I hope since it comes fro the factory! Anyone else had this problem with their Nav system? Thanks!
  • sundance6sundance6 Member Posts: 6
    I would really appreciate any input about my built-in Nav screen on my 2003 XC90.

I tried the dash board dimmer and the NAV settings for screen brightness and it can not get it back from what appears to be 60% of what the screen brightness used to be.

thanks
  • my2005xc90my2005xc90 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have the latest dvd updates? Would you be interested in selling last years? let me know
  • pmeinpmein Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar issue.

thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "With its chic styling and sporty performance, the XC60 goes a long way in transfomring Volvo's image, while the vehicle's pioneering safety technology reinforces that the company is still the leader in this area, which other automakers have been moving in on of late. If only the vehicle's other tech wasn't as hit and miss, then the XC60 would be an unqualified hit."

Edmunds Technology Review: 2010 Volvo XC60 (Edmunds Daily)

• nav7nav7 Member Posts: 1
    Did you receive an answer? I have a 2006 XC90 and having a similar problem.
    The dealer updated the firmware, but still having the same issue. I am taking it back to dealer so they can try again. Do you know if the nav system is covered by the standard 4 year 48000 mile warranty?
  • luv2skiluv2ski Member Posts: 2
    Yes, we have it too. We're meeting with an RVP of Volvo today. We've already replace the lights once. Asked dealer for used parts. They claimed they were destroyed in the replacement process. Intermittent behavior now, sometimes on, sometimes off.
  • sundance6sundance6 Member Posts: 6
    The factory NAV DVD player on my 2003 Xc90 T6 with 110K miles is now displaying "can not read disc."
    I am told that Vovlo replaces and does not repair and to replace the DVD player would be about $850 including unit, synchronizing and labor. Ouch... my plan to keep this car for a long time is failing miserably since just about everything you can imagine (and can't imagine ie... dashboard for $600+) has broken on this car and has cost me about $12k in repairs out of warranty.

Should I dump the car for a Japanese model or keep maintaining this one?

Does anybody have any experience replacing the NAV with a non-volvo model? An isntaller told me that he could put in a $500 NAV system with many more features than teh Volvo and might be able to fit the new smaller screen in the same area wher the screen rises up now.
  • gtl2gtl2 Member Posts: 1
    I too have this issue. The dealer wants over $800 to replace the NAV DVD player which I can't see spending when a $150 portable GARMIN does the trick. Has anyone found a cheaper alternative?
  • mynatedoggmynatedogg Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 xc90 with navigation in the dash i am missing the dvd for the west coast and i was wondering if anyone can help me i have the east coast dvd but i live in Oregon so i need the west coast maps if anyone has the west coast maps and your not useing it let me know thanks

Might check eBay if you haven't already.

• mynatedoggmynatedogg Member Posts: 2
    I looked on ebay but they wanted $150 for the dvd
    edited July 2014

A Garmin/TomTom looks better and better.

I priced out a Kia Soul two months ago and they make it pretty easy to pick and choose stuff. The salesperson went down the list - heated cloth, sunroof, etc. When he asked if I wanted Nav, I said not really, I think Garmins work better than most OEM stuff. He peered around the corner to make sure his boss wasn't around and then whispered "you're right". B)

The built in stuff is "cleaner" though.

Only other thing I can think of is to try an auto salvage yard, one that's hooked up to a nationwide network. But if they are going for $150 on eBay, chances are the salvage yards are going to charge a lot for theirs.