Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good Taxis

2»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Doesn't CNG take up a lot of space?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I am not sure where they put the tank. I know the trunk is huge as I have ridden in them. Of course the back seat is very roomy. Much better than the Escape or Prius so many people would like to see take over.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I know I'll hate myself for having to ask but when did they stop making Checkers? They were great cabs. I remember having 4 or 5 passengers in them without a big problem.

In high school I knew a kid who was one of 10. his folks would get either Checkers or Ford airport wagons.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    I think 1982 was the last year for Checker. I always thought they were neat rigs. I think Shifty had one once, or at least drove one a long distance, and said the front seat comfort was horrible. I sat in one that was for sale at Carlisle once, but can't remember how it was. I don't remember it being bad, but it's hard to tell from just sitting in something for a minute or two.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I just think you are in a world of your own sometimes, Gary.

I don't know of anyone else I know other than you who picks a cab and says, "Dang, I'm glad this cab has 45 inches of legroom !!"

I have taken cabs maybe 60-70 times in my life. In various countries. And NEVER EVER have I given a darn about how much room was in the seat. I'm 5'9" and medium build.

I don't pick a taxi for the luxury and comfort level. I have usually picked cabs only as a last resort and WHATEVER can get me there, I'm happy to have.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,671
    I have taken cabs maybe 60-70 times in my life. In various countries. And NEVER EVER have I given a darn about how much room was in the seat. I'm 5'9" and medium build.

Funny thing is, I don't think the Crown Vic is all that great, given its big external dimensions. I'm 6'3", and find legroom kinda tight in the back. Definitely tighter than the Caprice or the old Mopar R-body. Heck, even the old M-body Gran Fury/Diplomat weren't any smaller, IMO.

I think the current Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable would make a great taxi. Roomy back seat with almost limo-like legroom, and a trunk that's actually bigger than the Crown Vic's!

The Crown Vic probably wins out as a cab because they're rugged and durable, and can take a beating.

I can't even remember the last time I was even in a taxi cab. It was long enough ago though, that I remember it being a '91-96 Caprice.
    Last time I was in one was in China in 2002. Volkawagen Jetta. The driver had a seat belt. The passengers didn't!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I'm trying to remember my last cab ride. It was probably in Xtapa or Mazatlan. They have all small cramped taxis like the Prius. I prefer and usually go in a shuttle van. By far my preference. Unlike some people I will not ask someone to ride in the back of a vehicle I own that I would not ride in. Usually first place I sit is in the back seat. If it is cramped not a chance I would buy the vehicle. When you are charging the customer their comfort should be considered before your own personal preference or cost to do business. I understand why they use the Prius in Canada. I think most people would if they know many Canadians.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    and as an ex-NYer have ridden in the back of cabs hundreds of times, the cramped back seats of the CVs always made me long for the days of those roomy checkers

Of course, the armored partition found in most NYC cabs doesn't do a thing for leg room but I once rode back-to-back in a CV with no partition and then an Impala.
    The Chevy was way more roomy in back.

Supposedly the Taxi Fleets preferred less roomy RWDs for reasons of lower maintainence and longevity but now I see FWD vans, particularly Siennas catching on as cabs everywhere.

If Mayor Bloomberg has his way the entire fleet will go hybrid in a few years. I wonder how owners will feel about replacing those battery packs. :sick:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I'm an inch shorter than you and am amazed at how cramped a back seat can be. What the heck do tall people do?
    "...I once rode back-to-back in a CV with no partition and then an Impala. The Chevy was way more roomy in back."

The RWD Impala may indeed have had more rear seat legroom than the Crown Vic, as you observed, but without knowing how the respective drivers' front seats were adjusted your single experience doesn't prove that the Impalas were roomier.
    I'm over 6 foot and thought the CV was roomy in the back seat. Though I have not seen one with a partition. Most of the time I have just jumped in the front seat, here in San Diego or in Anchorage.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Who knew? They haven't made a cab since '82 however.

And the rest of the company may not be around much longer:

Checker Motors Seeks Bankruptcy Protection

I never would have guessed that though I do remember that some vestige of Studebaker still existed at least into the 80s...

I see they mention the Checker Taxi in the same sentence as the London Taxis. I wonder what ever happened to the plan that would have brought the London cabs to the US? Like Checkers they are roomy as all get out.
    Ford is displaying a Transit taxi at the Chicago Auto Show. This vehicle makes sense as a taxi, since it's roomy (including excellent head room), yet space efficient. This taxi version can be equipped to run on compressed natural gas or propane, in addition to, presumably, gasoline.

With the Crown Vic scheduled to go out of production soon, the Transit could make an excellent replacement as a taxi.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a pic:

More pics.
This discussion has been closed.