Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    you seem to be the only one here with that problem. The Highlander and RX300 share the same running gear, as does the Pilot and MDX. I don't hear anyone around here complaining about that.

Yes the Legacy had the 2.5L engine first, then it became standard in the Forester, and then in the Impreza. I, being an owner, don't have a problem with that. I also spend most of my time over in the Subaru boards. To this date, I have never heard that complaint from any Subaru Legacy owner, that "lesser" Subarus also use the same engine and AWD. It's a non-issue.

Sharing engines and drivetrains is as old as the automobile itself. Look at Detroit. Even the very expensive Mercedes S-320 uses the same engine as the lowliest Mercedes C-320.

Bob
  • ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    I would have no problem if Honda uses the power plant on a similarly priced vehicle. But on one that cost $7000 less? Pricing isn't firm and I realize the top Element will not be $7000 less than the lowest CR-V though so I should really wait to see. But something about this just irks me.

This is a first for Honda, that I know of. And if you're the buyer of the lower priced vehicle it is great at IMO the expense of the buyer of the higher priced vehicle.

Again, regarding Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda, IMO there is enough differences in favor of the Luxury brands to justify the $ difference. And besides, the MDX will eventually have a different engine than the Pilot, it's a fact.

You hit it right on the head when you said "look at Detroit". This is something I expect from the Domestics. I just have to accept that Honda is no better than they are.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    by your statement, that you also disagree with Lexus letting Toyota use the same running gear from the RX300, on the much less expensive Highlander? Same with the Acura MDX and Honda Pilot? Same running gear in similar, but yet much less expensive vehicles?

<< I would have no problem if Honda uses the power plant on a similarly priced vehicle. But on one that cost $7000 less? >>

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You're comparing a loaded CR-V 5 seater AWD to a stripped FWD Element 4 seater. That is hardly the same. I'm sure you would have considered a top-end Element, for $21k. So $2000 less, not $7000 less, a huge difference.

You say there is enough difference from a Toyota to a Lexus, but you haven't even seen the Element yet, so how can you say it's not the same way? You might think it's worth paying $2 grand for full carpeting, an extra seat, and rear doors that open independently from the fronts.

Yes, the MDX will get a bigger engine, but the Highlander coexists with the RX300 and has the exact same engine. It even has a 4" longer wheelbase, and is roomier, and even has a VSC option! Heck, why would anyone buy the Lexus? Yet people do.

-juice
  • dougalsmomdougalsmom Member Posts: 1
    After watching from the shadows for at least I year I have finally decided to register. Have to say I have learned a great deal from all of you, so thanks.

I am planning to purchase a cr-v ex sometime in the next 2 months, and I am wondering if anyone can point me to some dealers actually willing to deal. I live in the Oklahoma City area, but am willing to drive to Houston, Dallas, Amarillo, Lubbock, or Midland, TX to find the best price. I've read posts that I can't find now about autoinvoice.com coming out of the Tulsa area, so that is a definate possibility. I vaguely recall something about a Houston dealer, but don't remember if it was good or bad.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
    Heather
    PS No fair to stereotype the domestics. Subaru did it. Toyota did it. Honda is doing it.
    Are you referring to Lexus/Toyota or Toyota/Toyota?, big difference IMO.

I realize the pricing isn't firm and the highest priced Element will be closer to the lowest CR-V than $7000 but they are still both Hondas. By putting the same engine/trans/AWD system in another Honda branded product, IMO they have diluted the $ differences. If the CR-V was an Acura, that would make it more palatable. Or if the Element was some new brand like Toyota is doing with Scion, again more acceptable. But these are both Hondas.

And looking at the RX300/Highlander and the MDX/Pilot, regardless of their similarities if you look around you will see lots of people saying why should I pay >$35K for the MDX when I can get the Pilot for less $. Hundreds of posts about that already in the Pilot topic. And people say the same thing about the Highlander. This supports my argument 100%.
    Big difference from Toyota to Lexus, but perhaps a big difference from the Element to the CR-V, too. That's all I'm saying. Seating capacity is a big deal.

Demand is so strong for the MDX it's almost sick. I'm sure Pilot will be a huge success, but I doubt MDXs are going to sit around on Acura lots, no way.

Lots of people will ask why pay more, and those people will buy Elements. I don't dispute that. But I still think the CR-V will sell well, because it has broader appeal.

-juice
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133

Looks like the weathertech deflector doesn't cover as much as the collegehills honda deflector available. I stops about 4 inches shy on each side of the hood. There is about 1.5 inches between the hood and deflector, so cleaning looks to be easy. Also has a lip on the trailing edge of the deflector, looks effective in directing wind, bugs and debris over the windshield. Took 10 mins to install. Hope this helps some decide on which deflector to get. cost $55+$10 shipping.
  • moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    ticktock4321:

You are right. Honda blind-sided you with a decontented CRV to be marketed as the Element. Same motor, and drivetrain options but in a relatively stripped down version using new inexpensive body panels to differentiate the model.

If you had known about it, you would have waited for the Element instead. You trusted Honda's (Honda/Acura)conservative, predictable model placement and differentiation to ensure that your Honda purchase would retain its niche (pricing, value, prestige) in the Honda line-up.

What happened to you has not happened to any other Honda owner. Honda needed to attract generation Y buyers and created a cheap spinoff of an existing vehicle. Kind of like when the Acura division was created to attract up-market customers (and profit), but this time without creating a new division, unlike Toyota and their new Scion line. But you didn't see this coming, and you're a gen Y guy so you really missed this boat.

You pegged Honda's behavior exactly, except for one characteristic. They are exceptionally secretive. You see their new vehicles/products on the street before you read about them. You're info network is dramatically improved with web forums, but still don't even know what the 03 Accord is going to look like and that's due in 6 months.

So you made your choice on then current info, and your prediction of Honda predictable behavior. Well, your assumptions were flawed and you have to live with them. Who knew Honda was going after the youth market and was determined to make a successful effort.

Well, actually there has been quite a bit of info on this for more than a year. See forum "Honda Element ("Model X" - miniSUV/Hatchback)":
    moonkat "Honda Element ("Model X" - miniSUV/Hatchback)" Jan 26, 2002 5:55pm

So, you are right. Honda has not done this before. But, it is your responsibility. You didn't read the signs correctly.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    TickTock - I have no problem with your point of view. I do understand why you feel this way. It just sounds to me like you are over-reacting.

The Pilot/Ody example: You are focusing on only the engine and AWD. That is where I think you are missing the point. A car is much more than just an engine and drive train. With the Pilot/Ody example, we have two Hondas that share an engine, similar seating configuration, similar demographics (family haulers), similar content (NAV or RES, leather, audio, and climate systems), and even the same colors.

If the Accord offered the 225 hp engine, I would still buy the TL. The TL offers a quiet ride, better seats, a five speed tranny, better audio, better styling, etc... Well worth the extra 3-4K I spent.

I also agree with many of the comments made before me. The Element is going to cost $21K. That is not significantly cheaper than the CR-V. We know very little about what the $16K is going to be. It may very well have a 2.0 engine and no AWD. In fact, I'm almost certain it won't have AWD.
  • redbelairredbelair Member Posts: 7
    One of the main reasons we bought our new CRV is the fact (besides the superb reliability of Honda)
    that we can tow it (auto.) behind our motorhome 4 down, but still have plenty of carrying capacity for passengers/stuff if we need it.
    We have compared possible tow cars for a year: Toyota, Ford, Subaru, Suzuki, Chevy, Land Rover and the '02 CRV is head and shoulders above any of them in value, looks, carrying capacity, economy, features AND reliability.
    (We added running boards to it also and that really gives it a new attitude!) For us this redesigned mini ute suited our needs to a "T."
    Absolutely no regrets here, we love it.
    I really shouldn't even respond. But thanks for making me younger than I am. I'm not Gen Y, not even Gen X, so I'm not the target market for the Element. But again thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! We're glad you finally decided to join in the discussion! I am sure our knowledgeable members will be happy to help you out if they can!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Don't compare the top of the line crv with the bottom of the line Element... that is your problem with this whole thing.

If the base Element costs (which it wont be that cheap) 16,000 then compare that to the base model of the crv which costs 18,800. The 2800 difference gives you a smoother ride, ac, cd, power locks and windows. Who knows if that stuff will come std with the element. My guess is not, look at the civic models.

If you wanna compare the 23k crv, then compare it to the element that costs the most, probably around 21k.

Your comparison is flawed because of the way you are looking at it. You can't compare a top of the line crv to a bottom of the line element. If you do that then I am suprised I am not hearing...

How come I paid 23k for a crv, when I could have gotten the crv for 18.8k? I paid over $4000 more for my crv with the same drive train.

I hope my language doesn't come across harshly..... I am merely participating in the debate.
    Your points are valid and I think I even addressed them somewhat. I fully understood what trim line I was buying and how it differed from the others that were available. It's not like they only offered the EX and then two months after I bought they came out with the 2WD LX (although some think this is what they will do with the Pilot). If varmint is correct and the $16K Element has a smaller engine and no AWD, then yes my logic is flawed. But will it? Not from what I have read. And that is very un Honda like. In what vehicle other than the Accord do they offer two different engines? The Civic I-4 and Accord I-4 both use the same displacement through the line, just with an increase in hp (I don't mean they are the same engines).

I think the problem that many are missing is that these are both Honda branded vehicles.

So if the Accord had the same engine and tranny as your TL and both were badged Honda, you wouldn't have a problem paying more for heated seats (and a few other things as well)? People went back and forth on the Accord V6 vs. the TL thread, and what I got out of it was that people were willing to pay more for the TL because it was an Acura and it had among other things, a bigger engine and a better transmission. Eliminate those differences and would people still think the TL is worth the extra dollars? I really don''t think so.

And no dave your language wasn't harsh. Really I think this whole discussion has been pretty good, no bad blood I hope.
    Neither am I, but I'm fascinated by the functionality, shape and execution of this econobox.

The toughest choice will be choosing between the Element and CRV, when the time comes, and having to pay the same price for either one comparably equipped (AWD models). CRV can be gotten discounted, but the Element will likely command no less than MSRP due to its limited (50k) production.

Common sense will tell you (me) that the CRV would be a better value at the same price, but good judgement does not always prevail.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Ticktock: Actually, I do think I can understand you just a wee bit. Little pangs of envy, regret, etc. are rather normal after making such a big purchase. I can tell you for a fact, however, that Honda has not let every CR-V owner down. I am an owner of a 2000 EX, and I didn't feel "betrayed" when Honda decided to bestow its i-VTEC mojo on you folks arriving late to the CR-V party. . If I follow your reasoning to its logical conclusion, then Honda should have put a less-powerful engine into the CR-V LX as well. After all, those cheapskate buyers are paying $4000 less, right?

In fact, I'm going to extend your differentiation scenario a bit: Remember, the Element is going into production later this year, which means it's coming in as a 2003 model with the puported 160-hp engine. Let's say that Honda decides to drop a 200-hp V6 into the CR-V EX for model year 2003. You want differentiation between models sold at the same time . . . that would make it happen to be sure. But I don't think it would make you feel any better, would it?

When we make a purchase as consumers, we are only getting the best deal we find available at that time. There will always be something better/cheaper around the corner. It's the best way to lure us back into the dealerships.
    The i-vtec engine that is in the new crv is 160hp. We all know that.... but that engine can be tweaked to generate 200 HP and still remain a 4 cylinder with descent fuel efficiency! One of the Acura's (i can't think of the name off hand and I am too busy to look it up at the moment) has both the 160 and 200 HP for an option!

It is essentially the same engine...basically goes something like this...

The 160: uses the intelligent part on one end of the engine stroke.

The 200: uses the intelligent part on both ends of the engine stroke.

Honda will probably introduce the 200HP engine next year after the element has been out for a while....

Now, ticktocks point becomes clearer.... ;)
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_011205.htm

Scroll down a little over halfway for the reference to the two different but same engines!

Look at above post by me to see what I am talking about.

• canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Honda has "betrayed" me many times. Most recently by sticking in the 146hp motor in the CR-V in 1999 less than 2 years after I bought my '97. And they also included a proper clock and lighted window switches, and OD cancel button. Man, was I green with envy. But what can you do? I guess I had a choice to trade up. Can't stop progress, even if it is tainted with corporate greed!
    The situation you describe is IMO different. The 2G CR-V was a new model that replaced the 1st generation CR-V. I had an Accord in the last year of its run. I'm crazy but I'm not that crazy to feel bad that they came out with a new model. The Element is a new, distinct model (despite sharing many of the same, well...elements as the CR-V).

And I explained my reasoning as to why I have no issue with the CR-V having a $4000 spread. It was known, they didn't bring out the less expensive version later. Happens all the time. Accord has an approximately $5000 spread with the I-4.

And daveghh hit on my exact point as to why I don't think the Element will use two different engines (different hp maybe but the same displacement). As to the AWD, Honda is secretive but I'm thinking something would be known if the lower model won't be AWD.

When they start naming a syndrome after you, it's probably time to back off. Thanks for listening everyone.
    seguy: the deflector looks nice. From that angle, the CR-V looks quite different than the Pilot.

Ticktock: be disgruntled all you want, it's your right, never mind us. "Dis" Honda and "grunt" all you want, you'll probably feel better. :-)

To answer your question: if the TL didn't have a 5 speed tranny, and the more powerful engine, the extra features, and the longer warranty that comes with being an Acura, well, then it would be an Accord V6 and be priced the same!

-juice
  • rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    daveghh: Just to clarify, yes the Acura RSX shares the same i-VTEC engine as the 02 CR-V but to say the CR-V can be tweaked to 200hp based on that is a bit misleading.
    Here are some specs:

CRV vs RSX Type S
    Displacement: 2.4 vs 2.0
    Horsepower: 160@6000rpm vs 200@7400rpm
    Torque: 162@3600rpm vs 142@6000rpm

The RSX version has been tuned as more of a racing engine whereas the CRV is more of a hauler.
    I think Honda would be hard pressed to tune the 2.4 much higher and still offer high torque at low rpm AND have good fuel mileage.

-Rob
    I think in my scenario I said some things would still be different on the TL, like heated seats, auto-dimming mirror, etc. You know, similar to the amenities which will make the CR-V $2-7000 more than the Element. Would you still pay more for the Honda TL in that case? Because the "new" Honda would certainly have two different models. Corporate greed and all. That's how I view the CR-V/Element.

Someone mentioned the '99 and the mid generation changes. Again, IMO a different situation. The '99 didn't cost less than previous CR-Vs. It wasn't a new vehicle. They consistantly make changes to their vehicles mid generation. Maybe not always as significant as a 20 hp bump, but they change the styling slightly or whatever.

I am not disgruntled. I have a fine vehicle that hopefully will give me many years of trouble free service. I just wish they hadn't put the same mechanicals in a vehicle that cost thousands less. Doesn't seem that off the wall to me. Sums it up.

And to rburnard, I thought I was pretty clear. It's not that I am upset that I could have had an Element for less $ than a CR-V, I'm pretty sure I would never touch one. It's the fact that a lower priced vehicle will (potentially) have the same mechanicals. It will be a first for Honda within the Honda line in the US that I know of (that should be a good enough disclaimer).
  • rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    Up here in Canada the EX with leather lists at $32,200. Add tax and a few options and that easily comes to $40,000. Am I upset that the Element is going to be cheaper? No way! I love my EX-L and I didn't buy it simply for the engine and drivetrain. I bought it for the overall package and while the Element looks intriguing it is not something I would consider buying if given the opportunity to cross-shop it before I bought my V. The overall package IMO leaves something to be desired. It is a niche Honda is after and not the average CR-V buyer. Apparently you fall into that niche and if you're that unhappy with it than you should probably trade down when the Element comes out. I don't understand how you can get so upset about it and we don't even have the specs yet. All we have are pictures and a couple tidbits of information regarding the engine. What about the rest of the vehicle?

-Rob
    Dougalsmom - Sorry, I'm not in your area. If you find a dealer who is willing to negotiate, I may be able to share some possible buying strategies, but actual dealerships are out of my reach.

Gaveghh - The CR-V's 2.4L engine is based on the same block as the RSX, but it has been bored out and stroked. Making it generate more power would probably require making it spin faster. That's how they do it with the RSX-s engine which is a 2.0L block. With cylinders as big as the CR-V's, they would have difficulty moving that mass at high speeds. The bigger engine would shake a whole more than the smaller one. So there are limits.

That said, I suspect they could get another 20hp out of it without making it too rough. 180hp wouldn't be so bad in an SE trim level.

TickTock - I'm just guessing about the possibility of a smaller engine in the el-cheapo version of the Element. Don't quote me on it. With the AWD, yes, I am certain the lowest model will not have it. The cheapest CR-V doesn't have AWD and most other Hondas (across the ponds) follow the same pattern.
    varmint:
    Yes, and that motor will be in the 03 Accord. Well, maybe not quite 180hp, but more than 160.
    ticktock: have you sampled heated seats? I'd pay more for them, sure. Maybe $400 or so for that features alone. They are really nice!

A more relevant example: would I pay $2k more for a 5-seater, over a 4-seater? Yes, because we require 5 seats. If it weren't for that I'd take a close look at the Element.

-juice
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Upon further review, naming a "syndrome" after a poster here may have been a bit much -- sorry 'bout that. Kudos to ticktock for being a good sport about it; some others may have taken it personally.

Now, I was just thinking that maybe the two vehicles won't have such a big spread in real-world price. Wasn't initial Element production slated for 50,000 units or so? That's as many CR-Vs as Honda sells in just four to six months. If this funky/trendy youth-oriented SUV thing actually catches on, there might even be some mild price-gouging by dealers for awhile. (It's happened before -- remember the XTerra at its launch? What were people thinking? ) Meanwhile, CR-V production is expected to increase with the new English plant coming online. Maybe then we see CR-V pricing back to near-invoice levels as before the new model introduction?

If you believe in free enterprise and are convinced that the two vehicles will actually offer similar values to buyers, then you can bet that they will end up with similar pricing in real life. We'll see what will have transpired by this time next year. . . .
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Did do some driving on my cr-v it's not that quite,and it rides kind of stiff,you do feel all the bumps on the road. But this is my first new car(suv)and love the cr-v. Can I make the CR-V ride softer,what # are the tire psi's suppose to be on?
    One more thing about the new CR-V the tail gate in the back that swings out why? Someone parked right behind me that I could't put anything in or even swing the gate open why didn't they make it like a minivan that it opens up.
    Honda probably feels it's more "cool" to have a swing-out tailgate since ones that swings up are generally associated with ("uncool") wagons and minivans. That's just my guess. Personally I prefer ones that swing up. If Jeep GC and X5, 2 very cool-looking SUV's, can have them, why not Honda?
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    I first thought the tailgate sucked as well. But over time I have found the setup to be good 75% of the time, i.e., it is the handiest to quickly throw something into the back (compared to tailgates that swing up, i.e., Escape, or the other way, i.e., Liberty). It's a pain when loading a lot of stuff from the curb (opens the wrong way) and really sucks when you can't even open it when someone parks too close. But in general I find it is the best compromise.
    But even with a swing-up gate, they could put in a smaller window that opens independent which would allow the convenience of being able to throw small items into the back without opening the whole gate.
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    why do some of you assume the Element will be stripped down? they said it will come in FWD and AWD(fact not rumor) and it comes with a very nice engine. high powered mp3 player and navigation are options that arent even available to the CRV. just because its 'cheaper' doesnt mean its gonna be noisier.
    A navigation system would be nice just like there minivan has it looks nice.
    Ssoto - Tires should be inflated to 26psi. The cars are generally shipped with over-inflated tires. Sometimes dealers will forget to lower the pressure as part of their prep.

The tailgate functions as a swinger for two reasons. The spare tire cannot be mounted on the back if the gate swings up. And the rear door cannot be used for storage if the gate swings up.

Personally, I find the design very handy. But I can understand why folks who park on the street would dislike it.
  • samstrsamstr Member Posts: 13
    dear web host....

Can you please create a new board for the element. I'm tired of having to filter through these pages to find relevant info on the crv. i'm especially tired of listening to tick tock whine and complain. enough is enough. please give him another place to gripe.

thank you very much.... i hope this helps my headache that he created.
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    There is a dealer not too far from you that is dealing email me and I will give you the details
    rockycow@aol.com
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    You should be happy to know that there is a whole other board that discusses the Element. Ticktock has taken it over there, come and join us.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some off-topic drift is normal and tolerated. That said, we do have a Honda Element ("Model X" - miniSUV/Hatchback) discussion that really is a better spot to talk about the Element.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Thanks for the pics of the deflector. From the photos, it appears that the deflector does not quite reach the bumper extensions that protude up by the grill. Is that correct? Does anyone know if the other deflectors will?
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    So far I enjoy driving my CRV more than the Acura
    Coupe I had. It is quieter accelerating and the
    engine cannot be heard at idle unless you
    roll down a window.It is easy to exceed the speed
    limit if you aren't paying attention.If I could change one thing I would lower it.I am short
    and getting in I have to grab the roof rail and lift myself into the seat.My wife's TL Acura sedan
    is the perfect height for me.
  • samstrsamstr Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the invitation...but my headache is just starting to settle. I'll pass.

Also, thanks to all for the info on the hood deflector. It looks like the one from college hills honda covers a bit more of the hood than the weathertech one.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    IT's been three weeks and the under coating is not dry
    is anyone out there with this under coating dry? if you go by any
    sand or dirt can I scrub it? or will it come off?it would be nice to find out what is the deal with this. i will be calling north American honda and I will post any results until then go and see if yours still very soft and way too tacky to the point that you will end up with black finger tip.
    greeting from sunny Miami
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    yes, they leave about 4 inches exposed on either edge of the hood.( when viewed head on )
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Dont' worry about the undercoating. it can stay tacky for up to 6 months, don't scrub it because its not water soluble and you don't want to disturb it. Unfortunately it does pick up road dirt and sand but it does no harm. Please do post Hondas answer when you get it. Not all of the vehicles have this wet tacky undercoating. Some reliable sources tell me that on US cars if defects are found in the factory applied coating dealers or the QC people spray the areas with a different coating which stays wet for a long time.Maybe Honda does the same.
  • tomf11tomf11 Member Posts: 40
    The heated seats are great in the winter, what I did'nt care for was the $500.00 it cost to replace the cushion, element in one seat when it burn't out on a Tahoe (99) I previously owned. The element was sewen into the cushion. I hope non of you get burnt.
  • fremollyfremolly Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to these boards, just purchased 2002 CRVex and debating rustproofing and side cladding. (Posted on new members board, but this one seems more active....? and more appropriate. Thanks varmint for quick reply)

Anyway, live in the snowbelt with lots of salt and sand. Rustproofing from dealer, undercoating/waxoyl/various other amenities, costs $600. Research on how valuable this is seems confliting. Suggestions/recommendations?

Also, thinking of adding side cladding. Any concerns that this may cause rust problem by trapping water? Other experiences? My dealer said the service dept. doesn't like this add-on..difficult to attach.
    Thanks!