Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Tire Pressure Monitor System

eddyman1eddyman1 Member Posts: 4
I just bought a 2008 Highlander. I'm thrilled with the quality of the vehicle so far. This model has a tire pressure monitor system which I can't seem to reset. I've set the pressure in all tires at 34psi and 44 for the spare, and the indicator light will not go out. I press the reset button and the indicator light never blinks to indicate that a reset is in progress. My dealer can't help. Anybody have a clue?

Comments

• gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    It's in the manual at least in my 2001. You have to set the ignition to on and keep the button pushed until the light blinks 3 times. Believe me a lot of times the light never blinked. Oh yeah stay on flat surface while doing this.
  • eddyman1eddyman1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks gunga64! Ignition on but the car engine running or not? My manual is incredibly unclear on this.
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    I finally figured out that it has to be done with the engine NOT running, just the key in the "On" position.

I have a 2007 and the manual is really not clear about this feature. It took me a long time to just find the switch, the graphic in the manual made absolutely no sense!
  • rexhrexh Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem finding the tire pressure system reset bottom. would you share the location you found this button. thank you
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    It's about 6 inches to the right of the hood release, but further back/under the plastic panel. I can't see it, but I can feel the button. I'm sorry I can't describe its location better.

I hope this helps.
  • eddyman1eddyman1 Member Posts: 4
    On the 08 model the button is just to the right of the steering column at the very bottom of the edge of the interior molding. the button faces downwards so unless you get on the floor and look up you won't be able to see it. It's recessed slightly into the plastic molding.
  • byumgrbyumgr Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2005 Highlander Limited. The light came on the other day. Checked all tires which were in need of replacement anyway which I did yesterday. The light is still on and following the reset procedure, I still cannot get it to reset. The light doesn't even blink. Any suggestions?
  • mmclaughlinmmclaughlin Member Posts: 6
    I have a idiot light for my Tire Pressure Monitor System that will not reset. I found a possible TSB dated Dec 4, 2006 - TIRE PRESSURE WARNING SYSTEM LIGHT ON. But I cannot find a description not even a summary of what the problem is except a site called: alldata.com that wants to charge me for the description. Is there not a place a person can go to for a further description of a TSB without being charged for it? Thank you. Mike.
    I have a 2005 Highlander which I just had the tires replaced. As I was reviewing the bill of sale I noticed that all 4 tubeless value stems were replaced also. What I want to know is the tire pressure monitor system still going to function properly even though they replaced the value stems as I believe the tire pressure warning system (transmitter) is inside of the rim.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    2005 uses ABS sensors to measure speed differences among tires,there is no connection to the rim or tire.
    Ok what about the spare tire? My low low tire pressure light came on and it ended up being the spare tire that was low. Once filled to the proper psi the light went out. So does this mean that the spare tire has the direct sensors in the rim?
    No sensor in spare.
    My light came on and the dealer checked the spare, inflated it to proper psi and the light went out.
    Only 2008 Highlanders have sensors that directly measure tire pressure. All previous years do not have direct tire monitor.
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    I just had a flat and repalced it with spare. I am planning on fixing the flat and making it a spare. From what I am reading here, I am getting conflicting info as I am not sure whether the spare has TPM sensor..the spare is identical tire on indentical rim so I would think it does. Any ideas ?
  • flm1flm1 Member Posts: 1
    Only the '08 measures pressure directly, including the spare.

Prior Highlanders sense low pressure by monitoring the ABS wheel rotation sensors. They do not monitor the spare.
    My '05 is indicating low pressure every other week for no apparent reason. A manual check of pressures indicate all within 2 lbs. : (
  • jjjsmithjjjsmith Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 08 highlander Sport and after looking at the quality of the tires and finding out they are only made by two companies(only 3 tires available), I have decided to get rid of the 19" and buy new 17" rims(like are available on the basic model). Many more higher quality tires are available for 17" rims. Does anyone know how the TPM is attached to the toyota rim? are they moveable or do you have to buy new sensors when you switch rims? Also could they be removed and "reset to 0psi" and just stored in the car for the duration of ownership. Spent 50 years watching my own tire pressure, believe I can still handle that.... ;) Thanks
  • hjehje Member Posts: 1
    After reading several discussions under the Highlander SUV threads, I could not find anything that addressed this specific issue. (Pardon me if there was a topic and I missed it!)

I just replaced the tires on my 2005 Highlander limited with Goodyear Fortera Triple Treds, 225/65R17. So far I am completely satisifed with the handling and comfort of these tires. However, I am having an issue with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Before I got home the first day, the TPM light appeared. I called the shop that installed the tires (Mr. Tires) and asked if they reset the TPM. They stated that it should have been done but to bring the car back. They rechecked the sensor, the air in the tires and drove it around a bit - no problems. The next day, I began a 200 mile trip. About half way, the light came on. We checked the tires, and there were sitting warm at 37-39psi. The light has remained on the entire duration of the trip.

Upon returning, I contacted the shop again, and they asked me to check the tires cold - he said that the Forteras should be at about 32-34psi and it could be that there is more than a 10% difference between the tires which would trigger the TPM. This morning I checked and three are at 34psi, one is at 33psi.

I cannot locate where the TPM is to try and reset it myself.

Any thoughts on what is happening? And if anyone could please describe where the TPM reset is and how to do this, that would be great!
  • webgoodwebgood Member Posts: 95
    Do you have your factory owners manual? The procedure is written in there. Haven't got mine right handy, but it's pretty simple from what I recall.
  • choochoomanchoochooman Member Posts: 38
    2004 highlander, turned key on, pushed reset button bottom of dash light went off, i didn't get the three flashes till i pushed the reset button a second time. wala no more light. hope this helps :)
  • traceyltraceyl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Highlander. I needed one tire replaced due to a puncture. They put the new tire on the back along with my full size spare tire and made one of the 'old' tires the spare. Now the problem is I can't get the tire pressure sensor light to stay off. I've taken it back in twice (America's tire company), they've checked and rechecked mount and pressure; reset light and about 10 miles into my drive, the sensor light comes back on. They are at a loss and suggested I go to the dealer.

Reading here, I'm wondering if the problem is that there is no sensor in the spare. Could that be the case? Is there an actual sensor in the wheel? Or is the pressure monitored some other way? Thank you for your help.
    Your Highlander does not have pressure sensors in the rims(2008 on up do), it uses rpm difference from anti-lock brake sensors to detect rpm differences to indicate a tire is low on air. If all 4 tires are low by same amount, it won't activate. The problem may be that the two new tires have enough diameter differences with the front tires and therefore rotate at different speeds compared to the front, enough to activate the low tire pressure warning. If so nothing can be done, as the system is expecting all 4 tires to have the same tread wear.
  • deyodeyodeyodeyo Member Posts: 1
    First, live in Central Asia. I just changed all four tires for the Winter Season (From Brigestone to Dunlop) and now the tire pressure sensor is permanently on. Balancing for all the tires also done at placement. Put air in the tires to specification and still no change. Do I need to reset the TPM as suggested above? Or the light will be on permanently?

Thanks for your help
  • beancounter14beancounter14 Member Posts: 1
    The warning light on my 2010 Highlander Limited will not go out after repeated attempts to reset it following the owners manual instructions. I have checked and double checked the pressure in all tires except the spare and all are okay. How do you check the spare pressure? Any other suggestions if the spare is not the problem?
  • toyodeetoyodee Member Posts: 1
    Had the rear brakes on my 2006 Highlander done and the brake fluid changed and the tires rotated 3 weeks ago. The tire light has come on every few days. I see that this model does not have the valve stem sensors and that the alerts should be a result of some issue with the ABS although that light does not come on. I also see that some Highlanders (not mine according to no recall) had a master cylinder recall last year due to the degradation of the seal due to replacement fluid, but that would cause a different light to come on. Any ideas? The tire pressures are appropriate. I have had it looked at 2 separate times with no problems located. This causes me unease with the electronic issues that have been reported with no rationale behind these alarm lights being triggered Thanks.
  • bootsy7718bootsy7718 Member Posts: 1
    Check the OEM tire size sometimes that could cause the sensor to glitch that also depends on which psi monitoring system is installed also something overlooked is make sure the spare doesn't have a valve stem with the same characteristics as the for tires on the vehicle. Sometime the system is set to monitor the pressure of the spare as well. Whatever the recommended manufacturer psi, usually located in the frame or the rear edge of the driver side door, if the psi drops 5 pounds below that it sets the sensor off.
    1st generation Highlanders use wheel rpm and ABS sensors to indirectly monitor tire pressure. No direct monitoring of air pressure is possible, so spare is not monitored.
  • lexowgrantlexowgrant Member Posts: 1
    Are there any other forums that cover the 2008 highlander with maintenance tips, etc?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Edmunds has some forums about Highlanders, but only the newer models.

You can check our MAINTENANCE page--that would probably be helpful!
  • kaka_35kaka_35 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I need help to find tire pressure light reset button in 2008 Toyota Highlander limited model. I cant seem to find it.

I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2016
    This Video shows wear it is, but it refers you to the owner's manual for the reset procedure.

This Second Video might be the correct procedure.

An owner's manual is a good thing to have if yours is missing. You can often find them used on AMAZON. I see some for around $30 bucks. eBay might be cheaper.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    On some models the TPMS initialization switch is inside the glove box. Others it is below the steering column.