Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Sentra Owners' Experiences

txn_egl_scttxn_egl_sct Member Posts: 20
When I picked up my car ('07 2.0 S) this past week I didn't notice then being it was dark, but now I have noticed that I hve two issues.

1) The clear plastic edge strips on my doors are coming unstuck and peeling off. This is not noticable on the outside of the vehicle yet, so far it is only on the inside edge of the door. Are these supposed to be there after customer delivery?

2) My window sticker shows the dealer apparently added wheel locks for ($89). I have the steel wheels and plastic caps. There are no "locks" as I know them installed, like what would be used on custom or alloy wheels.

Should I be peeved about this? One sales-rat tried to convince me they "lock" the caps to the wheels. He then scurried off when he figured out I knew what I was talking about.

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I altered your title slightly to be a little more descriptive. I'm sure some folks will stop by to help you with your questions.

Meanwhile, let's drop the name-calling, okay? Maybe you'd like to stop by our Dealer Ratings & Reviews page to share your experience with other consumers in your area? That would be great!
  • stevek1949stevek1949 Member Posts: 8
    I just noticed that my driver's door interior trim and weather strip had been worn down to the plastic and the weatherstrip is coming apart. It is appareantly wearing from me entering the car as I am the only driver. This is on a 2007 Sentra with only 16k miles!

Is anybody else seeing this type of a wear problem? :sick:
  • txn_egl_scttxn_egl_sct Member Posts: 20
    What part of the weatherstrip is wearing? The side by the strike-pin and latch, or the bottom along the sill plate?
    The side by the latch pin, where my butt would rub. All of the color is warn off and the weatherstrip is worn to the point that there is a hole in it.
  • txn_egl_scttxn_egl_sct Member Posts: 20
    I just noticed that my driver's door interior trim and weather strip had been worn down to the plastic and the weatherstrip is coming apart. It is appareantly wearing from me entering the car as I am the only driver. This is on a 2007 Sentra with only 16k miles!

Is anybody else seeing this type of a wear problem?

Unfortunately I don't see this as a defect so much as just unfortunate. The friction from rivets on jean pockets, tooled leatherworking on belts, and buttons on back pockets can scratch and scuff the interior trim just as easily as it will the paint on a fender or quarter-panel. I would recommend bringing this up to your dealer regarding premature wear on trim surfaces and try for a replacement. You never know they might fix it.

The soft touch paint that is used on the interior trims can be rubbed off to show the molded plastic in whatever base trim color it was manufactured in. Typically you see this coloring on dashes and consoles. This is also why one trim area won't match another in color or tone exactly.

The weatherstrip failure itself is directly related to being pulled by the friction of you entering the vehicle. This will eventually tear the "pillow" portion of the strip away from the retention base. Most of the time you will see this on the bottom door sill where people exiting the vehicle will drag their feet on the weatherstrip till it eventually tears.

The only thing I can suggest is try not to rub on the door opening while getting into and out of the car. I don't know of any other remedy for what you are describing. I would bring the premature wear up to your dealer to try for a warranty replacement though.
  • nickerenickere Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2008 Sentra S and on the way home driving in the rain I felt a few drops of water on my left foot. Anyone else had this leak problem?
    Could it be condensation from the air conditioning?
  • nickerenickere Member Posts: 3
    It probably is if the A/C line is in the vicinity. Should I try and insulate the line with some common pipe foam insulation?
  • sentra08sentra08 Member Posts: 17
    Even if it is the A/C, it shouldn't be leaking on your foot. I don't run the A/C too much, but when I have, I certainly haven't noticed any condensation forming. I also have an 08 Sentra S, so same car. I would recommend just taking it to the dealership and telling them about the problem before you try insulating it. They should be able to do something better with it.
  • themrs2905themrs2905 Member Posts: 1
    3 days ago I bought a new 2009 Sentra S from the dealer, and yesterday I noticed that there is no ABS light in the dash. I know it is not supposed to stay on, but it doesn't come on AT ALL. I sat in the car, and turned the key to the ON position and watched and waited but it never came on. The manual said to close all the doors and put on the parking brake before turning the key to the ON position, which I did, but no light came on. After I pointed a flashlight to the dash, I don't even see where it would come on. I called the sales guy and he said since it was already almost 6 PM (yesterday was Saturday), the service guys went home, and they wouldn't come back until Monday morning. I specifically wanted the S trim because of the ABS, which I read came standard. How should I handle this?
    Go ahead and call back on Monday morning to see if they can resolve it for you. If you are unable to get anywhere, you might want to also post this in our Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? discussion.

Hope it works out for you.
  • thelinetheline Member Posts: 1
    So I bought a new 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Just two months after buying the vehicle I had to take it back to the dealer for a leaking drivers side tail light. Does anyone else have this problem because it has been to the dealer every month since then for the same issue. Write back
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    First off, how bad is the leak. Water or condensation? My daughter bought a 2008 Sentra and the first morning after delivery she had condensation inside of the same tail light. She took it back to the dealer and was told that the taillights are not sealed lights. They gave her a copy of the bulletin relating to this. Check with your dealer to see if your Sentra falls into this category.
    Corkscrew
  • capaccionecapaccione Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased a 2009 sentra and it pulls to the left when driving down the interstate at 60mph. Checked tire pressure, dealer balanced the tires and did wheel alignment. Anyone had this experience - Thanks
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hello folks,just purchased a new 2010 sentra s model a few weeks ago and i am also haveing a leak problem with only under 500 miles on the car.however,the leak is comeinig from the drivers side by where i rest my feet.i don't believe that it's an a/c issue because it only happens when it's raining.the car is already starting to smell like mildew and needless to say iam not a happy camper with a brand new car and already haveing problems.however,after further reasearch on other sites i have seen that other sentra owners from previous years models are also haveing the same problem with their sentra's.will be at the dealer on monday to sort things out.
  • carfreak12carfreak12 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I just bought a new 2010 Nissan Sentra last week. Yesterday, I turned on the air conditioning and it made a clicking noise. The higher the power, the faster the clicks. Anyone know what the problem would be?
    hi carfreak,i also recently purchased a 2010 nissan sentra s model and have the same clicking issue with my a/c...took the car back to the dealer a few weeks ago and was told by the service advisor that this is a common problem with the 2010 sentra and that a possible recall could come soon..anyway,they did not fix my problem because they told me that they are waiting for a technical report from nissan on the problem so they can diagnose the problem correctly.the a/c works but the clicking sound is really becomeing annoying.
    Thank you for your comment. This is the first car I've purchased and am dissapointed with the process. The car should be perfect as far I'm concerned especially only having it for one week. I will check with the dealer to see what they say and let you know.
    They say it's the motor blower that needs to be replaced. :mad:
  • barpyebarpye Member Posts: 8
    I also have a 2009 sentra and it pulls to the left at highway speeds. If you let go of the steering wheel or are distracted for a moment, the vehicle quickly veers to the left. Dealer mechanic said it has a problem, dealer general manager said it has a problem, but the dealer service manager claims it is normal for this model to pull to the left or right and showed an internal nissan memo stating some steering feedback, feeling like adjusting and pulling is normal, though he refused to provide me with a copy. ( they all test drove this vehicle). The dealer checked out the alignment etc. and said all is "to specs". I have lemon lawed it and am awaiting a court date as nissan has refused to settle out of court.
  • cooljcoolj Member Posts: 15
    I have a chance to purchase a 2002 Sentra GXE auto with only 33,000 miles on it. Clean inside and runs great. Some dings and knicks to the exterior. I can get it for $3,900. Any comments from previous owners please!!!!!
    purchasing any used car is a gamble especially one that is almost 8 years old.however,considering that this sentra has low milaege and that nissans in general are pretty reliable cars you shouldn't have to many issues.
  • ovyboxovybox Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2008 Sentra and I have a similar problem: I have to adjust steering at all time while driving. I cannot tell if it is actually pulling one side or another but I have to constantly correct it. If I pull right to correct a left veer it goes right. If I correct the right, it goes left. It's like it cannot drive straight.
    I do not have a lot of experience: is this just an alignment problem? I took it to the dealer and he said there is no problem, just the steering is a bit stiffer than in other cars and it has to do with the road being tilted. But I am not satisfied with the answer: sounds like BS.
    It is kind of irritating since I do not have to do all that on my 12 yrs old Toyota.

barpye: I would appreciate if you keep me posted with your progress. I might follow suit.
    I have found many complaints around the net concerning nissan and this specific problem pops up many times. I filed the lemon law complaint as nissan will not correct the problem because they are apparently trying to avoid a major recall. My advice is for you to do the same. Google up the lemon law info, be sure you still quailify, and get the ball rolling. The steering issue aside from the irratation of fighting with the car is a safety issue first and formost. Nissan refused to settle out of court (or fix the problem) so the court papers are filed. I will know more in Feb or March when I get a court date. Will try to update you then. By the way, all the BS excuses are choreographed by internal nissan memos to the service managers that I have seen for myself. They know the problem is there and have been instructed to BS people complaining with crap like road tilt, road crowning, small tires, electric steering feel, etc. All BALONEY. Good luck.
    I have a court date in early January.

Please send any documents you have as I will submit to court

Thanks
    John

email - capac@optonline.net
    Hi John,

I yet have to produce documents. I'll go early January to another dealer to see what they say and then (after the dealer sells me BS) I plan to contact Nissan USA. I only have an invoice on which it's mentioned that I inquired about the problem but I think that's it.
    I'll let you know when I have some progress.
  • beezer5beezer5 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 2010 Sentra in October and have been experiencing the same "pull to the left" syndrome. I would like to share my experiences since. Dealership didn't even have specs to do front end alignment, yet they STILL sold me vehicle off their lot. LEft car with them for three days while they tried to fix it, and in a not so funny moment, the loaner car's battery went on me!!!! Had to take cab home from work and had dealer tow car back to lot with the explanation of "no one really checks out the loaners"....can you believe this crap?? Four attempts at trying to fix car did nothing. Awaiting Lemon Law Court Date. Speaking to Nissan America wasn't helpful at all. Consumer Affairs gaveme the name of a particular gentleman to speak to down there and I wasn't put through. I was given a lackey of the desired rep and he wasn't helpful at all. Two months have passed with having this car, and I am furious. Dealership General Manager says to me after 4th failed attempt, and this is ver batim, "it's out of our hands now...there is nothing we can do..." Will keep all posted on progress, and I kindly ask that if anyone has any addl info on these issues to please post.....thank you...
  • mad3catmad3cat Member Posts: 5
    OMG I have the exact same problem! I've been to the dealer that sold me this car 4 times. The last time (a few weeks ago) I actually got yelled at by the service department. My regular auto repair company has said this car is dangerous the way it drives at highway speeds and would not even drive it. They suggested the Lemon Law to me but I thought because the dealer refused to call it a 'problem' (the dealer mechanic told me it was just crappy electronic steering) that the Lemon Law would not apply. I'm filing tomorrow!
    have the exact same problem! I've been to the dealer that sold me this car 4 times. The last time (a few weeks ago) I actually got yelled at by the service department. My regular auto repair company has said this car is dangerous the way it drives at highway speeds and would not even drive it. They suggested the Lemon Law to me but I thought because the dealer refused to call it a 'problem' (the dealer mechanic told me it was just crappy electronic steering) that the Lemon Law would not apply. I'm filing tomorrow!
    I believe there are many more out there. My court date should be late Feb. or early march. I will post the results. Good luck on your case.
  • inkguyinkguy Member Posts: 2
    I Have this issue, brand new car, took it in 3 times, still doing it. You would think with the recent problems Toyota is facing Nissan would want to adress this issue quickly. especially with the Corrola now having steering problems. Good luck with your litigation.
    It's amazing how Nissan America is so devoid of common courtesy and help. Good ole due process. Still awaiting response to settlement letter. I know I shouldn't hold my breath.....

Will keep all posted. And I agree that in light of the Toyota fiasco that Nissan should want to jump at the chance to shine with their customers....
    I hear ya. I will post any results as I get them. If lemon law doesn't work, I will go to the media.
  • inkguyinkguy Member Posts: 2
    Nissan just sent me an email asking how my recent service apointment was, I followed the prompt to give negative feedback about this issue and i was asked for a username and password that i don't have, don't know, never had. I tried again following the prompt to leave possitive feedback and sailed right on up to thanks for the feeback and the submit button. Very shady customer service tactic.
    How 'bout that. One would think with all the Toyota stuff they would wise up.
  • je123je123 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I noticed this discussion when I was looking to see if there was an issue with these. I just want it to be aware that my 07 sentra is also having the same "pull to the left problem."

I bought the car from a non-nissan dealership and returned it to see if they could fix it. After they tried alligning and rotating tires they did not know why it was still having problems, but they mentioned it could be a "torque pull" where the left tire is working harder than the right - causing it to pull. They suggested taking it to a nissan dealership since it is still under warranty. I will do that soon, and I also look forward to hearing outcomes from nissan and lemon law suits.
    Noted, I have an appointment to drop the car at a nissan dealership where the car was purchased later in March for the nissan lawyers and I guess mechanics to "inspect" the vehicle. After that I anticipate I will receive a court date. I will post the up-dates and outcome.
    edited March 2010
    Just came back from my second encounter with the Service department. Visited another dealer this time, cause the first one seemed incompetent to me. They could not find anything, of course.

In the meantime I've been reading the Corolla forums and seems like they have the exact same problem: the car is wandering all-over the road. They suspect it is the Electric Power Steering causing this problem. I think they are right: the change from hydraulic PS to electric PS is what we feel. The EPS is praised all-over the internet for its technological advantages, by engineers most likely. It is unbelievable how these idiots can ignore how consumers feel about this stupid EPS.

Implications: this seems to be a design flaw, not an execution flaw. It means the dealers cannot do anything. There are no better parts to put in place.

What I plan to do next:
    - file a complaint with NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) to make them and Nissan aware of the problem. I really do think this EPS (the way it is tuned now) is a safety problem: if you take your eye off the road for 5 sec, you may end up in the other lane. It is also a downgrade in driving comfort: I got Hulk's forearms from correcting the fcking steering every 2 sec.
    - try to get a brand without EPS. Maybe one with hybrid PS (hydraulic and electric).

I recommend that we all do file with NHTSA, otherwise we will not get noticed. Coupled with Toyota's complaints, it may have an effect. If we get at least 20 complaints on the same topic they may investigate. Last time I searched their database I only found 1, from 2007 I believe.

I think we will not be able to change much: changing the power steering on each Nissan (and Corolla) would be quite expensive. Car makers will pull out the big guns. But at least we send a signal to either improve the EPS or switch back to hydraulics. In the meantime I have to accept that my $3k '97 Toyota is a more pleasant driving experience than my $15k '08 Sentra. :mad:
    I had the pulling to the left problem and hard to control on the road at highway speeds problem with my 2008 Sentra. I finally found a dealership that would replace the steering column which replaced the electronic steering. (The first dealership I dealt with actually yelled at me for bringing my car back with the same complaint so often!) Absolutely no difference. It is a horrible car to drive at speeds faster than 55 which also bring (most often) longer driving times. My hands would ache and arms would be sore up to my shoulders. Nobody can figure this out. If 2007 are having this problems it's not electronic steering. I couldn't take it anymore. I got a Ford Fusion (32 mpg highway) and LOVE IT! It's so classy inside and drives like I'm going through butter. I always had Altimas in the past and should have stuck with them. I will probably never go back to Nissan after this experience.
    I had the pulling to the left problem and hard to control on the road at highway speeds problem with my 2008 Sentra. I finally found a dealership that would replace the steering column which replaced the electronic steering. (The first dealership I dealt with actually yelled at me for bringing my car back with the same complaint so often!) Absolutely no difference. It is a horrible car to drive at speeds faster than 55 which also bring (most often) longer driving times. My hands would ache and arms would be sore up to my shoulders. Nobody can figure this out. If 2007 are having this problems it's not electronic steering. I couldn't take it anymore. I got a Ford Fusion (32 mpg highway) and LOVE IT! It's so classy inside and drives like I'm going through butter. I always had Altimas in the past and should have stuck with them. I will probably never go back to Nissan after this experience.
    It's funny how we get the same reasons from the dealers... 'the tilt in the road'. If that were the case, all cars would have the 'going to the left' problem and when you are on the right side of the road you would drift off to the right. Get rid of it. I have owned 10 cars in my life and not ONE has been difficult to keep on the road.
    Thanks for sharing. Certainly saved us the trouble of getting the steering column replaced with no improvement. I have no choice but driving the Sentra and end up with Dwayne the Rock Johnson arms... :mad:
    I have submitted a complaint with the NHTSA.gov and like mad3cat, I'll try to keep away from Nissan. Sound impossible but I'll keep away from electric power steering as well, although it will be more and more difficult as all car makers seem to be heading that way.
    I thought I would share my recent experience with my 2007 Sentra 2.0 S. I just finished a trip to Florida and back in a weekend. About 1700 miles total. Left on Friday, returned on Sunday. I have just turned over 48,500 miles during the trip. The tires are the originals, just passed inspection. I averaged over 35.6 mpg overall, averaging over 80 mph for most of the trip (I-95 all the way). Not a single glitch. The only issues that I have had were a recall for reprogramming of the ECU, and a paint wear on the drivers door trim. All-in-all, a very reliable car. Too bad it's not paid for yet, or I would get a current year model! :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I just drove home in my new (leased) 2.0 S, in silver. I was looking for a good, reliable car at a reasonable payment and little out of pocket, and was focusing on used cars until I saw that Nissan had a lease special on the Sentra. My last Sentra was a 1997 GXE, also silver, and incredibly the 2010 car cost me about the same. And it's a much better car than that 1997 Sentra. My initial impressions is that it's fairly smooth riding for a small car, and very quiet because the CVT keeps the revs low (e.g. 1800 RPMs at 60 mph). The driver's seat could use a little more thigh support but otherwise seems comfortable. Good room in back, and I like how the rear seat bottom flips up to create a flat load floor (well, almost flat, there's a little step at the back of the seats). The controls are smooth, especially the HVAC dials, and there's clever touches such as the sliding cup holder adjuster.

I almost got the SR with its alloys and sporty trim, but the dealer that offered the best deal had only one, in black, and I don't like black (too hard to keep clean). But they had several S models, including silver (first choice), and I like that it has side moldings to help keep dings off the doors. Also the wheel covers are some of the better looking plastic covers I have seen, so I won't miss the alloys (which just seem to get scuffed up over time).

I'll post more when I have more experience with the car. Averaged 38.5 mpg on the way home from the dealer, if the trip computer can be believed. Given the low revs on the car, when driven with a light foot, I can believe that number.
    Really disgusted with how things have transpired. Nissan America received 5 opportunities to repair pull when law allows 4, and it hasn't changed one iota. Throw in an employee from dealership following me out to my car berating me for being upset at the complete lack of customer service from dealership and the BBB being a joke of an institution which apparently the automakers keep in their back pockets, and here we are. BBB feels there should be more repair attempts to correct. How many? 10? 20? 50? It's beyond comprehension. Nissan Sentra's aren't all 100 percent in perfect working condition. Upon having issues, I cannot understand why it is so difficult to to something for the buyer who used good faith in buying the car?
  • 2010_sentra_sl2010_sentra_sl Member Posts: 3
    we just bought a 2010 sentra sl and we began to notice a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car and when ever we closed the rear doors and passenger side door. we thought it may be that the muffler is loose. took the car into the dealership, and the tech was trying to wheel us and deal us that there is nothing wrong with the car. he showed us how the muffler moves on another new sentra, but didn't show us the sound it makes when you close the door. out of curiosity, my wife and i stopped at another nissan dealership, and when we closed the rear doors on a new sentra, the car didn't make the clunking sound. it sounds that the noise is coming from a "sheet" of metal around the muffler, which is what the nissan tech told me he moved away from the muffler while i was talking to him in front of the service department. please advice. :(
    All

Went to court - both side had expert witness and drove the car - mine said it was a safety issue - Nissan said it was fine - Nissan asked the judge to drive it - She drove and said it was not bad enough to cause the lemon law to be used and ruled she would not have Nissan repurchase the car.

in summary - do not let the the judge drive the car -
    Nissan is being allowed to sell a car with defects - I hope no one gets hurt.
    This is unbelievable; since when are judges experts on car quality and safety? Judges are supposed to rely on the law and the opinion of the experts, not personal perceptions. This is why we have jury, to eliminate the personal perception from the justice process. That judge seems off the line to me...she should have asked for a third expert it there was a tie in votes. But I wouldn't invest more resources into this...
    My sympathy man.
    I was talking to a friend with a PhD in electrical systems and he suspects that on medium quality cars (Sentra, Corolla) they install electrical motors which provide too little power to assist the steering. To reduce costs of course (or bad design). It makes sense since I feel my steering is stiff and requires a lot of power when making small adjustments (what you would do when driving straight on the interstate to correct for the road surface). When making sudden turns as well but you kind of expect that even if it requires more power.
    So my friend was saying that probably the premium cars (Altima, Camry) will not have this problem. I guess trading in on a more expensive car is the only way out.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited May 2010
    Was this a case tried in a court of law, or an arbitration hearing with an arbitrator? I also cannot imagine a judge deciding the case by driving the car herself. But I could see that happening in an arbitration hearing.

If it was in a court of law, you could appeal the case, maybe demand a jury trial next time.