Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Sun Roof Complaints

2»

Comments

• np01np01 Member Posts: 17
    I have had an '07 (silver) for over a year and the sunroof does not leak. Since it's a problem that should just not be explained away by Hyundai, I offer my sympathies - but I just wonder whether the problem is actually a flaw in assembly. Perhaps there is a design weakness that affects whether or not the sunroof is right when it comes off of the line. Otherwise how would you explain so many sunroofs that don't leak? I understand that this is little consolation to those of you with cars that leak, but it might be an explanation that would hold Hyundai accountable; rather than let them claim that the units that leak are performing "as designed".
  • glmorganglmorgan Member Posts: 3
    Can you please tell me the name of the Hyundai representative. My wife talked to the regional rep in Southern California and she stated that the car is "As Designed" and didn't say anything about whether the sunroofs should or shouldn't leak.

They are playing with words, i.e. "As Designed" meaing that water is channel back out of the car. The questions still is, WHY DOES IT LEAK? Please send me, if you will, that name to "lenettemorgan@comcast.net"

Thank you all for this info.
  • strawberry1strawberry1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm back and apologize for not keeping everyone updating on my situation here in WI. As you know I went through arbitration with the BBB, they lost my paperwork reply and I am going no where in my resolution of this situation other than racking up the miles on my Santa Fe.

My 07 Santa Fe is also WHITE and a LIMITED.... maybe there is something there as the loaners I had during the 5 repairs thus far were '07's, but not limited models and they stayed dry as a bone! Since I am not receiving resolution thru Hyundai or the BBB I would be very interested in joining forces with someone. I love my car but, the moisture that builds up inside and the drops that leak onto my arm rest (the drains are not plugged) are so discouraging and I don't feel it is fair that I paid full price for a vehicle that is flawed. I was going to file lemon law paperwork in WI, but the BBB arbitrator said it wouldn't fall under lemon law as it doesn't impair the safety of my vehicle???? Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed:)
  • mylibbymylibby Member Posts: 4
    Exactly...why does it leak?? I think everyone who owns a Santa Fe with a leaking sunroof should pursue their issue through the Better Business Bureau. We did this and ended up going to arbitration and won! Hyundai Corporation had to buy back my 2007 Santa Fe. It was quite a long process but it was worth all the time and effort. We opened up a case with the BBB in late March 2008 and last week Hyundai repurchased the vehicle under our Illinois Lemon Law. The whole process took about 3 1/2 months. Maybe if enough people pursue this problem, Hyundai will finally have to take responsibility and address this issue, possibly forcing a recall.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    The Sun Roof leaks can only be 1 of 3 things...

1. The tolerances around the roof opening, glass, frame or seals is too large, which allows water to by-pass at higher pressure (car wash, rain storm or higher speeds)i.e the higher water pressure force overcomes the seal pressure because the gap is too big, the opening is too deformed, or the glass doesn't seat into the opening as designed. It's called a rubber SEAL for a reason.

2. A badly fitted "collection" tray which is not laying flat or is deformed in a certain area and not laying flat enough. Too much water could build up on one side and overflow the drainage area before it can be drained away. i.e. the collection rate of drained water is too high versus the drain rate causing overflow. You need to know what the designed collection rate/ drain volume was meant to be as that determines the whole design.

3. The drain design is flawed and sometimes defective - this means a badly designed drainage hole (too small, too much paint build up), drain tube (too small, too kinked if it's a plastic fitted tube, blocked with paint, manufacturing debris or dirt)

The very fact that this sun-roof design does leak so often is an obvious design /manufacturing process flaw.

It's like the Hyundai Engineers saying :"... recession? What recession?. The economy is acting as designed. There is no Oil crisis, Banking crisis, Environmental crisis, Dollar crisis, Health Care crisis, Social Security crisis.... and the Levees during Hurricane Katrina acted as designed"
  • knowakknowak Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Sante Fe SE with the premium package. Heavy rains this week in Boston and noticed a leak at the back of the sunroof. It appears the the seam in the rubber gasket that runs around the entire glass panel has seperated [or was never sealed correctly]. and there is about a 1/8" gap for water to enter. Heavy amounts of water are flowing in, but most of it has been making it to the drains. I've gotten splashed a few times when stopping quickly and the like. Took it to the dealer and made an appt for Monday. They;ve said they'll have to pull the entire thing apart, do a water test, and check the drains, the whole 9 yards. Seems to me to be a gasket problem as when you look back you can actually see sunlight streaming in [along with the water]. I assume it to be a simple repair of the rubber edging? Anyone else have a similar issue with regards to the origin of the leak?
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    have a 2007 santa fe gls with the sunroof had it for about 1 and1/2 years no leaks at all oh yea mine is white. its hade here in the usa. maybe the ones that are leaking are the early models that were made over seas. the 2008 i did not like ceause of the inter color change and the chape look of the gls. they did away with the crome tile pipes, the windshield deicer,crome round the grill and color match interar seating.ive had no probleams ex cept with the lights inside on which they fixed right away and the radio.love it check out the service side of hyundai.
  • dgonzojrdgonzojr Member Posts: 1
    I d like to tell you that there is hope for your sunroof problem. Typically sunroof leaks are caused by one of two things. A clogged drain tube or a sunroof glass panel that isn't adjusted properly. There are four drain tubes that drain the water that enters from the edges of the glass panel. Factory sunroofs allow water to enter but if there is a blockage in your drain tube then that tube(s) need to be cleaned out. While its raining you would be able to feel the water coming in if you put your hands in the right place from the inside of the vehicle. That is by design dont worry. However, if your headliner is getting wet or your floorboard is soaked your problem is probably one of the two listed above. I have been servicing convertibles and sunroofs for 14 years and Id like you feel confident about having a sunroof. Even if I didn't install it. Let me know if you have some specific questions I can answer for you.
  • lisa89lisa89 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about buying a 2010 Santa Fe with a sunroof but now with all of the problems I read about I'm not so sure. Sounds like most of the problems have been with 2007/2008. Does anyone have any experience with bad 2010 sunroofs?
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    I have an 08 SF Ltd AWD and have not had one problem with my sunroof. Other than not having good enough weather to open it up, that is! ;)
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    I have a 2006 Sonata (45,000) and a 2007 Santa Fe (63,000) with sunroofs. No problems with leaks.
  • frustrated2010frustrated2010 Member Posts: 1
    Don't buy one!!!! I just bought a new 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and my sun roof leaks. It doesn't leak when it rains but it does leak when I go through a touchless ( high-pressure) car wash. My SUV is not even a month old and I already had to take it back to the dealer to get the sun roof fixed. They said they checked it out and it is fine. The the dealer told me that every Hyundai with a sun roof will leak under high pressure.
    I plan on doing whatever is necessary to get my money back.
    Good Luck!!!!!
  • basalt51basalt51 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2011 Hyundai Sante Fe. The sunroof leaks in touchless carwashes!!!!!!!!

Very happy with the vehicle except for this. It is unacceptable.
  • brianpopebrianpope Member Posts: 1
    Greetings. I know your post is almost a year ago but I too have a 07 Santa Fe with a factory sunroof that leaks. I too have had it back to the dealer to have them tell me it's built to leak.

What I was wanting to confirm, is with your experience, should I be concerned if my sunroof leaks but my headliner nor floorboard are wet?

I haven't owned many cars with sunroofs(47 y/o male) but this is the first that I noticed that leaks.

We are coming up on our 36 months(bought it in 08) and just want to confirm that I should or should not worry about this. Any chance you live and work in the Panhandle of Florida??
  • bambewbambew Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2011
    Hey...

Just purchased a 2011 Santa Fe Limited w/Nav replacing a 2007 GL AWD.... I'll let ya'll know what happens with my first trip to the touchless carwash...

@brianpope said: "I too have had it back to the dealer to have them tell me it's built to leak."

LOL!!! 'Built to leak'.... That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time!!!

John
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    Just took my 2011 limited AWD 6 in for her first car wash and no leak that I saw....so far.
    Hello 'Sir' / 'Madam'...

My 2011 Santa Fe Limited has been through the 'Touchless' car wash 5 times and no signs of a leak...

John
    edited March 2011
    SIR / MADAM... (wouldn't want to ruin my 'Credibility' on this site... :P )

Did your '07 SF Sunroof leak to the extent that the water stained the headliner?

John...
    edited March 2011
    SIR / MADAM

Agreed 100%....

John...
    edited March 2011
    Sirs / Madams... (must be 'Prim' and 'Proper' on this site you know... :P )

OH NO.... My 2011 Santa Fe Limited does leak at the sunroof when put through a 'high-pressure' Touchless carwash. No staining on the headliner as of yet though. Probably wont be either as the water drips into the slider track.

This morning, after going through the Touchless wash, I noticed again that it was leaking. It leaks at the side near the rear of the SR. When I got home I had a good look at the SR (on the outside) as to how it moved from the closed position, to the full open position, and back again. Did this for both the 'full open', and the 'vent' functions...

I noticed that when the SR closes from the full open position (auto close), the panel will seat fully down and then, ever-so-slightly, lift up on the back end. This does not leave the panel 'flush' with the roof line. I did this a few times with the exact same result... Now, when I put the panel up in the 'vent' (just the back part of the panel moves up about a quarter inch) position, there is no 'auto' close. Which is odd, as closing the panel from the 'full open' position, it 'auto' closes... Why would Hyundai not have the SR auto close from the 'vent' position???

Anyways, when closing the panel from the vent position (non auto), I can seat the panel 'FULLY' (flush with the roof) by releasing the switch before the panel went into that slightly-raised 'parked' position... The next time that I head to the carwash, I will put the SR in the 'flush' position and see if it leaks then... Will let you guys know the results...

It looks to me, that 'H' has designed the SR to 'park' in that, 'slightly-raised' position... When I go in for the first oil change, I will ask the Service Writer/Advisor and/or the Tech working on the vehicle, why this is. There must be a reason...

John...
    edited March 2011
    @bambew said:

"Now, when I put the panel up in the 'vent' (just the back part of the panel moves up about a quarter inch) position, there is no 'auto' close."

It looks like the panel moves a quarter inch from the inside of the vehicle, but today, while checking it out on the outside, it is about an inch that the panel opens...

John...
  • hyundai2010hyundai2010 Member Posts: 1

I have this problem with my 2010 Limited edition. Big leak that is thoughout my headliner and now leaking through my overhead lights

• SpeedbumpsSpeedbumps Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Santa Fe sunroof has just begun to leak--driver side carpet is soaked. Apparently the drainage tubes are clogged. How do I unclog?