Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mountaineer Electrical Problems

needinhelpneedinhelp Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Mercury
I have a '98 Mountaineer and all three brake lights have gone out. I have checked the fuses and have 12V running threw the pedal switch. However, no voltage at the bulbs. Anyone have any ideas?????

Comments

• ahartmanahartman Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Mountaineer in the shop twice due to the check engine light being on as well as the Check fuel Cap. The dealer said that I was getting the messages in error and reset the computer. This works for a few weeks then the light comes back on. Is there anyway to fix the error message?
  • jaredkahlerjaredkahler Member Posts: 1
    The stereo in my 1999 Mountaineer doesn't read the CD's very well The screen blacks out often and so does the temp/direction indicator above my re-view mirror. The CD's wont read unless you put them in right when you start up the car or right after you eject a CD, and then sometimes it still doesn't work. Is this just a loose wire?
  • scootermannscootermann Member Posts: 1
    I recently discovered that when I used E85 fuel in my 2003 "Flexfuel" 4.0 V-6 Mountaineer, it destroyed the spark plugs in about 5000 miles, watered down the oil to the point of irreparable engine damage and gave me poor gas mileage. The vehicle was under warranty and the complete motor, throttlebody and fuel pump were replaced. The dealer advised me not to use E85 fuel anymore unless I switch to a synthetic motor oil, Why? I use regular gasoline now and get much better mileage anyway.
  • dmearsdmears Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Mountineer with 42000 miles on it and the Instrument Cluster went on it and my child was stranded in MA. I had to spend $500 for parts and labor because my bumper to bumper warranty was up at 36,000. The service at the Ford dealership in Great Berrington MA was horrible. Has anyone else seen this electrical problem in any of their vehicles before?
  • derschdersch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. When you turn the head lights on and have the fog lights on, the fog lights do not work at all. Also, the turn signals will not work with the fog lights on and the headlights on. I could only get the turn signal to work with the running lights on. Another thing is that with the lights on and the fog lights on, the left headlight/ fog light would be really dull. and the left turn signal light stays on.
    I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this or if they have any ideas.

Thanks

Brandon
    please email me at dersch6221992@aim.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me at ...

That would deprive other members of valuable information and tends to defeat the purpose of a Forum. Let's keep the discussion here. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • blackenknightblackenknight Member Posts: 1
    My mountaineer door locks lock and unlock on their own.. any idea's why? I have taken it to dealership and they couldnt figure out what was wrong.
  • le royle roy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Mountaineer. I want to adjust the headlights. I opened the access flap and notices there are two adjustment screws(?). Facing the passenger side light, there is one in the upper left and one pretty much in the middle of the housing on the right. I would like to make the beams a little higher and am not sure which one to adjust.
    Does anyone have any photos?:confuse:
  • Britboy58Britboy58 Member Posts: 2
    Mine too.

Been like it for years (about six now) for our 99 Mountaineer 4.0 Liter - pretty much as soon as it was off warranty of course.

The green LED segments on the display fade in and out and for the most part now are off most of the time now. So you never know which radio station you are on until they call it out.

Apparently it is a common electrical fault (have heard exact same complaint from otther owners on line) but the dealers of course prettend like they know nothinng about it.

As you may have guessed, after six years with it I have given up on getting it fixed.

In any case I have a new more serious issue - the car is not recognizing my key. So while it opens the electric lock doors and cranks the engine, the "Theft" indicator remains on and so will not allow the engine to start. This used to be intermittent (approx once every 50 starts and was temporary. Now it is permanent!

If other Ford makes are this reliable - no wonder they have lost market share.
  • Britboy58Britboy58 Member Posts: 2
    The car cranks well despite the current cold snap but will not start.
    I noticed that even with the key in the ignition that the "Theft" light is still flashing just like when you lock the car up. The owners manual says that this indicates it is not recognizing my key and if flashing will not allow the car to start.
    This used to be intermittent (approx once every 50 starts and was temporary. Now it is permanent!

Next step for me is to try and find the spare key to see if that one works.

Anyone else have the same issue?

If so, did it mean getting the key re-programmed at the dealer or was there some other fix?

Any suggestions welcome
  • emcmanus1emcmanus1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Mountaineer and the front Power Outlet has stopped working. there is also one for the rear seat that works fine and another hidden one under the rubber mat in the center consile that works as well. I've pulled and checked fuse number 24 and it looks perfect. Is there a fuseable link under the console? something else I need to check? I've attempted to remove the console buy haven't found all the screws yet.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • le royle roy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 with a tach that works intermittently. The shop they would have to send it in and it would cost a lot. Any ideas? :(
  • tandtbtandtb Member Posts: 1
    Newbe here. I just purchased a 1997 Merc Mountaineer, and have a few questions and problems. First of all I would like to know what other years or makes interchange parts with this vehicle. Is there a company that sells " body parts " ( not human ) for this year vehicle?
    When you start the car the brake lights come on and stay on everytime. I took it to my mechanice and he replaced the sensor and it still stays on...naturally he took it out and did not charge me. He said the answer was to disconnect the lights....WOW I could have figured that one out.....but I would like to have them work the way they were meant to work....anyone know how to handle this???? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me you can email me at:

tandtberman@comcast.net :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    you can email me at ...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone benefits. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • walterdwalterd Member Posts: 11
    Is it your brake light indicator on the dash? If so, make sure your brake fluid Level is correct and the fluid is clear.

How does your braking feel? Is it spongy? Does it take a lot of effort to brake?
  • captconcaptcon Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 with the same issue. I can't figure out why it's doing it. Did anyone ever find out why it does this?
  • mbolyardmbolyard Member Posts: 1
    I am being told by the Ford dealership that my instrument cluster is bad on my 2004 Mountaineer. They will not guarantee this is the problem. What were your problems? I have lost power to several accessories including: radio, CD player, interior lights, glove box light, all gauges, power windows and sunroof. I need your input before I put more money into it. They first told me the smart junction box was bad. After $500 this wasn't the problems. I am running out of patience and money. Thanks.
  • rdmoore13rdmoore13 Member Posts: 1
    need help, strange things with my mountaineer v8 awd, seem to be electrical, sometimes rear passenger windows will work sometimes not, sometimes cruise works, kill and restart car cruise works, also grinding sound seams to come from transmission and clunking shifts while driving slow, kill and restart car problem gone, fairly sure something electrical is the culprit but local Mercury shop says Huh!!
  • juliet77juliet77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Mountaineer that won't crank when it is about 43 degrees or less outside. When you sit inside and go to crank it the THEFT light is flashing fast. When the outside temp reaches above 43 it cranks just fine.

The other day I was driving down the road and the horn starts going off on its own intermittently. I had to hit the horn to make it shut up. When I got out of the car and had turned the ignition off and had the key in my hand, it started going off on its own again. I found the fuse for the horn/cruise control and took it out so I wouldn't have to deal with that issue and all the stares.

A friend said to look under the driver side plastic molding area for a black reset button. Did not find one. He looked later and didn't see it. My husband found something that said to replace the idle air control valve (?), but that didn't work.

Do you have any suggestions? Please HELP!
    Change the batteries in your key remote
    get a new fuel cap
    Check your remote and make sure the lock buttons aren't gummed up. The remote gets a lot of abuse. it comes apart easily and cleans up well.
  • indyrobbieindyrobbie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Mountaineer and My dog has chewed the key when I try and start the car, the theft light just flashes I don't have another key anyone have any suggestions?
  • yankeefan7yankeefan7 Member Posts: 1
    Just filled gas tank, fuel guage reads empty and service engine light is on. What could the problem be?
  • buck48buck48 Member Posts: 1
    I just experienced a problem with my 2005 Mountaineer, engine shut down completely, all warning lights came on, lost power steering, minimun brake. My son has the same year and model, he says this has happened to him before and he thinks it is the cruise control,I have a 4.6 L engine with the Premier Package.
  • killabrewkillabrew Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue as you do. The grinding and then restarting seems to make it go away for awhile. Did you ever get a resolution? I had a transmission shop check it out and they pulled up a bad key error code. If it is as simple as a bad chip in the key I will be very excited. They reset the code and everything seems fine. Let me know what you found out.
  • court72court72 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Mountaineer did the same thing as yankeefan7 did. Just that the fuel guage reads empty and the sevice engine light is on.
  • the_colonelthe_colonel Member Posts: 1
    My electrical system seems to be freaking out. Go to adjust the mirror and the locks click off and on. The locks will work if the key is on, but not once you start the engine. The heat/air fan only works on high. The radio will shut off then come back on, and the CD has stopped completely. What's going on? How do I fix it?
  • 5hskrs5hskrs Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks ago I discovered that my windows will not work.....however the sunroof, electric seats, mirrors, door locks, etc. all work just fine.

I am wondering if the circuit breaker might need replaced. Has anyone had this problem? Not sure if I should pickup a circuit breaker at Advanced Auto....or if I need to take it in to the dealer.

Would appreciate input.
  • planetweaverplanetweaver Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to share this.

I was having major gauge issues; the gauges would all go to zero, then vibrate, then go back to normal, then do it again. Interior lights would flash, and the radio would turn off and on. Usually would happen in colder weather. One day (Oct.24), the gauges "wigged out". They continuously did the on/off thing for 40 min. They even did it when the car was off and key out of ignition, but not as violently. Dealership just wanted to replace the gauge cluster for about $800.

Drove it to an independent garage, while the gauges continuously going haywire... so he was able to experience the problem. He tried several reprogramming option on the computer, but nothing solved it.

He finally went back to electricity 101 and replaced the main ground from the engine to the firewall. It was corroded. He also cleaned all other grounds in the engine compartment.

The issue was solved. Been driving the car for 2 weeks in all types of weather, and so far, no issue.

$120 - and he put gas in it.

As a bonus, replacing / cleaning the grounds fixed my ambient temp gauge. It would give a very inaccurate reading when the temp was below 40.
  • vminatravminatra Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem as some other users here. The fuel guage has dropped below "E", the service engine light is on and now the auto-lamps will not work. Are there any solutions to this problem yet?
  • hammer20hammer20 Member Posts: 4
    while changing the drivers side sun visor on my 2004 mountaineer accidentally shorted it out blowing a fuse . immediatly after check engine light came on with a code p0193 also started to have abs problems as well . ideas ?thank you
  • chancestranechancestrane Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

Hello, new here. I just recently bought a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer and I was driving it at night two days ago and the dash light and night driving lights and brights went off same time the dash did. Also the lights on the temperature and compass will not light up as well as the radio. This vehicle needs some work! As well as new brakes and struts. If anyone has any ideas PLEASE email me @ [Email removed] Or post on here so everyone can benefit but email is best to get ahold of me.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2014

Sorry, we frown on posting contact info here.

First thing I'd do is a battery load test. Then check all the connections from the battery back to the engine/firewall, etc. Old or weak batteries can cause weird electrical stuff.

• AnokaCountyTornadoAnokaCountyTornado Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer. Recently, several things stopped working all at once: Front wipers, interior lighting, windows & the speedometer. I have checked fuses and found nothing. I have looked under dash and under the hood for visual wiring issues - found none. I am assuming something happened that is causing these different things to stop working all at the same time. Any suggestions?