Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cherokee Classic Screaming!

sgtagnersgtagner Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I have just recently been given a 2000 Classic with 104000 miles and a great body. I am in the Army over in Germany and the only thing really wrong with it is that it screams for dear life when you to the defroster on, the previous owner said he went through 6 fan belts in the past 4 years, when i removed the fan belt to check the pulleys it seems everything is fine! Any Help from Any one would be great! Thank You

Comments

• Options
    xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    If it makes the noise when the defroster is on, I assume it also does it with the A/C on. The defroster setting kicks in the A/C compressor. That being said, I would think the problem area would be the A/C compressor. Either it has a problem that makes it harder to rotate than it should or the clutch on the compressor is bad, although I don't see how the later would cause fan belts to wear out. Make sure the belt is adjusted to the proper tension before you do anything else.
  • Options
    I'm up to any suggestions, the sound is so loud that i am having a terrible time narrowing it down but i believe it is either the altenator or the A/C compressor. It is just really hard getting parts over here. Does anyone else have this problem? I have completely removed the belt to check for drag on all the pulleys and they all spin freely with no audible sound untill i put the belt back on then it goes right back to LOUD! Thanks for the advice i hope i can get parts soon enough before i start having to wear earmuffs!
  • Options
    Get a length of rubber hose or something that is hollow in the middle and hold one end to your ear while CAREFULLY putting the other end close to the part you think is making the noise. You should be able to determine the source that way.
  • Options
    tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    if it is the ac you would not have any drag on pulley till you turned on ac
    i would guess that you have a seized compressure
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A stick, like a section of broomstick, works pretty good too, and it doesn't flop around so much.
  • Options
    I just wanted to thank you, hopefully not to soon, as i said i am in Germany so i have been waiting on parts, but i believe it is the A/C compresser so i went ahead and ordered one, which should be here next week. i also ordered, recieved and installed a JET power programmer, AIRAID throtle body spacer, K&N air intake, new tranny filter hoping to get a little better gas milage! anybody have this combo??? i haven't noticed much yet out of the programmer except for a bit better throtle responce but i'm hoping for the gas mileage! been soaking the A/C compressor in 10W 40 everyday to quiet the squeak untill my new one gets here! working so far! Thanks Again
  • Options
    just disconect the one wire at the front of the compressure and that should not allow the compressure to turn at all when you use heater
  • Options
    I have so far replaced the...Altenator, A/C compressor, Idler Pulley, Belt. the sound quit for about 3 days and now it is back, it is beginning to become a real annoyance! Has anyone ever had this problem? I have tried to narrow the problem with the garden hose up to my ear and even a stethoscope but the sound is to loud and seems to be everywhere! Please someone!
  • Options
    disconect the belt and start the engine to make sure it is the belt

when you have the belt off turn the water pump and make sure that it is not the prob
  • Options
    I just want to make sure I have this right, you only get noise when the AC compressor is engaged, or do you hear it at other times also?
  • Options
    sgtagner is having the prob read earler posts
  • Options
    I first wanted to say thanks for the help...Second i still have the problem, it is all the time, no matter if at idle or reving, when i take the belt off the sound goes away! i took the pully off the water pump last night and it seems to be in great shape, its not loose, no leaks, spins freely... i have spun every pully minus the crank/harmonic balancer and they all make no sound untill i put the belt on, no matter how loose or how tight it is it continues to make an ungodly scream for help. Thanks for everything
  • Options
    Yea, sorry. I didn't realize I had clicked on the wrong post until I was done.
  • Options
    Have you tried any of those spray on belt dressings? From my experience they are only a short term solution but you may want to try it to see if it has any effect. Are all the pulleys in line? If something was replaced before you got the Jeep maybe an incorrect pulley was installed? The noise has to be slippage from what you say you have done. Have you checked the belt tension with a tester? What seems to be really tight to one person may feel loose to another. Just throwing out ideas....
This discussion has been closed.