Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Active Fuel Management Problems

Comments

• eric_rev1eric_rev1 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if there is a way to disconnect the afm? I have 50,000 miles on my 07 with a 5.3ltr and have never gotten above 17 mpg. i got that in my 01 with a 5.3. id just as soon not have it if its not gonna help. at least i wouldnt have to listen to my exhaust go from a deep v8 growl to a 5 hp briggs and stratton.
  • zjoneszjones Member Posts: 1
    Yep...No Problem. Said that in the title too. Jeeze...Get used to it cause it IS the future. Mine is a 2009 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab LTZ Silverado 5.3 with 6 speed auto and runs just fine but reading post on the internet will scare anybody. No Throttle problems, no Tranny problems, No engine problems, No paint problems, No electrical problems, No issue with shift points, No issue with AFM. Owned it 3 Months 9from new) and have about 13,000 miles on it now

The Cons are:
    1. It's so quiet that I try to fall asleep on the highway.

The Pros are:
    1. I could list at least 200 Pro's over my 2007 Silverado Classic 5.3 (non AFM) and more than half would be technical.

So now you know. This truck is not lacking in any way. I don't really understand why so many people would buy a truck they didn't like or want, ya know? with AFM? Sell it and get a Ford. This truck is my Cadillac and I seriously doubt anybody is gonna improve on what GM has built here with a hack saw underneath it in the back yard.

Just a clue how AFM works...very simple. The cyl's that de act have special lifters. What's so special? They have a locking pin, that's it. Those cyl are de act mode with less than 6% throttle or load...this is decided by several process in less than 20 milliseconds...they are pressurized in de act mode (4 cyl) controlled by solenoids in the oil galley under the intake manifold. If that system was to fail (de-pressurize) it would default to a V-8. It's simple and it works. On a 80 mile drive thru the hills and curves I was able to attain a high average once of 24.4mpg I get 23 often and have got 21 driving 70 mph.

There are alot of parts in this motor that will fail before AFM does...Jeezes. I'm going to put 300,000 on mine then recheck it and see how it's doing then. I have bought 4 new GM vehicles in the last 3 years or so...1 of them had a minor quality control issue that was probably done by the transport driver. 1 was traded on this truck, the 2007 Silverado. It had 86,000 miles on it and zero parts replaced. just tires and oil.

This won't be fun if we didn't get a little OT and throw in something about oil...I do have to admit I did develop the dreaded tick at start-up. I don't know what factory fill was and you don't either unless you put it in. That's why I drained that stuff the same week I bought it. Well I went with Mobil1 I have been running for years no problem and then after say 3000 miles, tick for 2 seconds at start-up every time...then started it sometimes even when warm which raised my brow. And NO it's NOT THE AFM...remember, the lifters have to be pressurized in order to collapse. Anyways, left that crap in there too long but switched out to The Castrol Edge USA made 5w-30 and about 1000 miles later presto! no more tick, at all. none. Mobil1 filter. I don't care what bobtheoilguy says this stuff works and it meets all current GM specs.
  • mp12mp12 Member Posts: 2
    "Those cyl are de act mode with less than 6% throttle or load..." 6%??? WOW! Thats seems a little sensitive in my book. No wonder my '09 is almost constantly changing "in & out" while in cruise on level highway. It was mentioned earlier that this feature can be deactivated. Anyone know where in the south Louisiana area this can be done? Just looking at my options.
  • garyj2garyj2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 sierra with the 5.3 afm. Bought new has 16400 miles. At 16000 miles one lifter has a cold start tick that last till almost complete warm up approx 5 minutes. After break in i used mobil one syn. With a mobil one filter. Took to the dealer they stated to add a additive i refused as no additive should be needed at 16000 miles. They said to change the oil filter to a gm filter which makes no sinse. So my question could synthetic oil be causing the problem even though i used it for 12000 miles changed every 5k or is it a lifter problem. Truck is embrassing to drive as it ticks really loud. Tick never began till i did the 16000 mile oil change, so i changed it again still with no results
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    CSK is a known issue with these trucks. GM claims no long term harm will come of it. It is caused by one of two things. First is carbon build up on top of the cylinders, second is loose fitting pistons till they warm up.

Do a search on CSK, cold start knock, and you'll find a ton of info out there.
  • garyj2garyj2 Member Posts: 2
    its not piston slap or carbon. its definetly a lifter. is anyone else having lifter noise.
  • rosleo45rosleo45 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Avalanche 5.3ltr with active fuel management. Switched to Castrol Syntec oil. Bought the truck brand new off the lot, with a "shimmy", thought it was a characteristic of that kind of motor. Well 12,000 miles later check engine light and stabilitrac and traction control service messages started to display. Brought her in, and found a cracked spark plug in cyl 1. Seemed to running great until another 10,000 miles passed. Truck had same symptoms. Come to find out another cracked plug in cyl 1. Now 1 year later (jan 20, 2010) and an additional 10,000 miles from the first time it went in, Having check engine lights and stabilitrac and traction control service messages displayed, Truck is being looked at by the regional engineer, as the dealership has no idea what is wrong with this motor and "never seen these problems".... As others have stated if it is not run for a day or 2, truck has a nasty tic until it warms up. GM will be contacting me Tuesday with a verdict on the engine, if its a faulty block or top-end... Either way truck has 36000 miles on it and shouldn't be having these issues with cracking plugs.... Never did i hear of that happening... I think it may be a lemon :lemon: ...
  • gutterboy06260gutterboy06260 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Silverado had issues with it jerking while going between 50 to 65MPH, had cyl #1 plug changed in January (it was cracked). Back in the shop today for the same problem. This time they are also replacing the plug wire also
  • gutterboy06260gutterboy06260 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Silverado had issues with it jerking while going between 50 to 65MPH, had cyl #1 plug changed in January (it was cracked). Back in the shop today for the same problem. This time they are also replacing the plug wire also. Anyone else have this going on? Truck has 40K miles.
  • tafidtafid Member Posts: 12
    This is a problem I discussed some time ago. I have been round and round on this concern and no one (Dealer, Chevy Service, which is a joke, nor BBB Autoline).
    The last attempt three weeks ago, Chevy Service stopped responding. They say they investigated the concern thoroughly. Right.
    See what you think. They still call this normal.
    Add to this concern is that the truck feels like it shifts while I am stopped (about 25 seconds). :mad:

The engine speed increases while coming to or at an idle. The last time the vehicle was in to the dealer, Ed Rinke, the service manager looked into the problem and saw the issue that I am having first hand. He contacted Chevy Tech Service who asked the Rinke Chevy service manager to try the same test on other Silverado’s. The result was the same, increased engine speed. The Tech Service explained that it is a known problem with on calibration fix at this time
    I contacted customer service (case #71-566-017-460) where Andrew Okkema tried to assist me. He contacted Rinke Chevy who told Andrew there was nothing to do. Tech Assistance says it is normal. I do not think customers expect their vehicle to continue going when they step on the brake to stop. :mad:
    Is your truck under factory warranty? Have you documented all of your service attempts to repair this problem? Since it seems you're pretty much tried all the avenues avaiable for free perhaps it's time to look up a lemon law attorney.
  • trophy950trophy950 Member Posts: 1
    This is a problem with my 5.3 AFM. It started at 38000. Lucky for me (or not ) the dealer told me this was a common problem and the lifters would have to be changed out. Perhaps they were truthful with me since they know me and what I do for a living. I have ben a diesel and auto mechanic for over 20 yrs. The first service writer tried to blow off the noise but the service manager quickly took over. Bottom line is GM dealers know of the problem and I was told that GM is paying the claims quick,fast and in a hurry to try to keep this under wraps
  • pookadogpookadog Member Posts: 1
    2008 Silverado 5.3L - 35,000 miles. Damaged Camshaft and bad lifters. Why? Also door locks not working, tire pressure sensors gone nuts, stabilitrak and traction control issues, and of course rough running due to bad lifters and damaged camshaft. the lifter issue started out at about 34,800 miles with a noisy lifter tapping at startup that would go away after a few minutes. Oh yeah, it shifts rough too.
    Time to trade it for a 2011 model before it loses it's value.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Pookadog,
    I apologize that you are having concerns with your vehicle. Are you currently working with your dealership to resolve the issues? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Mariah
    It is great to see GM actually reading and responding to concerns on this forum.
    I must say, however, I have issues that are now falling on deaf ears that GM Customer Service calls normal. I have been to the dealer multiple times, just recently last week, with the same result. So, to ask if he has been working with the dealer to resolve the issue means nothing.
    I will post my concerns again as a continued update to a posting awhile ago.
    See '2007 Silverado Engine Surge'
    I am back to report on this on-going issue. The description below will inform you of the basic compliant. The Dealer contacted Chevy Techs and they say it is normal. Get this, it is normal for a vehicle to accelerate with your foot on the brake. It is OK for your vehicle's engine to surge up to 1000 rpm when you ease your foot off the brake.
    And last week when I asked for a more technical answer, they said the Chevy Techs says the AFM is shifting from 4 to 8 cylinder, even with the vehicle at 1 mph or after it stops. Now what? I tried "Chevy Customer Service" but because I will not settle they have simply ignored me. I have copies of the emails as well as all attempts to address this issue.

RPM/Engine Surge:
    When easing to a stop or after stopping and slowly rolling (by easing off brake, no throttle apply) into my garage, the engine speed will increase surging the vehicle forward. It does not matter if the engine is cold or warm, nor driving for one minute or one hour. The engine speed will increase up to ~1000 rpm or more. The engine speed will surge and slowly come down to ~600 rpm in less than 15 seconds. This problem does not occur all the time, but I can bet on it happening each time I drive.
    Hello Tafid,
    I apologize that you have a concern with your vehicle. Have you tried going to another dealership for a second opinion? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Mariah
    No, I will see if that works.
    Now, if another dealership see the problem, just as the original dealership, they will call customer service tech and get the same response. But, I will see if it does not cost me.
  • rednecktroyrednecktroy Member Posts: 8
    I posted back when I owned a 07 new body style silverado.That the afm was not working for 17,000,bad economy and performance.Truck started knocking and had to argue with world class gm mechanic for 45 min. Then he went out and listened to the lifter tapping as I explained to him before.After he replaced the lifters,plug wires and reprogrammed the computor,I began getting 20 to 24 mpg.BUT then the truck began its lunge problem,same issue as other posts.I put up with it long enough to trade it off.IMO the lifters are soft and need to be replaced with an after market brand.The lunge problem is more than likely a computer relearn glitch.The next oil change have the garage hit it with the relearn mode.see if it helps.
  • natesmsnatesms Member Posts: 20
    I purchased on 08 with the 6.0 liter in it and had many of the same problems that you describe. The truck left me stranded, I had to have the lifters replaced, it was in the shop 10 times before 36,000 miles. I do think that the AFM is a bad design. That thing had lifter noise from 500 miles on, and while I never had the idle surging, that thing would buck like a horse going up hills if it didn't pull it down into a lower gear. I hope they are ironing the design out, since most posts on this are from the first few years these motors came out and spread across all the motors with AFM.

I will be the first to admit that you can get a Lemon from any car maker out there, and you can find horror stories of the same reoccurring problems with all the major brands (Fords used to pop out spark plugs and trash the heads, coil packs go out all the time, the new tundra's you'll find posts about people getting the whole motor replaced).

HOWEVER the difference here was the customer service. I tried multiple dealerships, and the service was bad at all of them. I get that you went bankrupt GM, but believe me when I say the SERVICE was the determining factor on why I'll never try a GM product again. Admit you have problems, and do your best to take care of them, not hope the person and problem just goes away. Thats how you get people ranting on message boards like this one. So, just over 36,000 miles, not under warranty, when it broke down again, I replaced the parts and GM wouldn't even re-flash the computer for me to fix a know issue (service bulletin), I gave them my last $134.00 for the computer re-flash.

Anyway, I traded it off and kicked in the bumper while the guy drove it off. It's really to bad because I still loved the way that truck looked (more than my new one), and drove, when it drove, and I wasn't having the strong desire to drive it through the front of the dealership.

My favorite GM customer service incident: I opened a case with the GM customer service line because I couldn't get my truck fixed, they called me while I was traveling for work and closed my case because "I wouldn't comply with taking my truck to the dealership". I was 2000 miles away from my truck on a 10 day trip, what was I supposed to do, fly back to take the :lemon: to the shop...

I have no idea if my new Ford will be any better with customer service, I honestly hope to just never find out.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    Well written post & reply natesms, I couldnt have said it any better, your quote; "HOWEVER the difference here was the customer service. I tried multiple dealerships, and the service was bad at all of them. I get that you went bankrupt GM, but believe me when I say the SERVICE was the determining factor on why I'll never try a GM product again. Admit you have problems, and do your best to take care of them, not hope the person and problem just goes away."
    I am suffering from owning a 08 Sierra truck that is a jeckle & hyde, I love my truck, I hate my truck. I've experienced all the dealership crap as you & too many others have, GM has this down to a science, I agree it would be so much wiser to just fix a thing or 2 & keep people happy & loyal, obviously GM does not. At some point soon I will unload this joke of a truck & hope another manufactor can do better especially in the customer service area of things. Until then I will continue to get the word out that GM does not care about it's customers after the sale nor does it honor its well advertised warranty. A warranty is only as good as the person honoring it. Keep talking people because it truly is the only power we have, good luck to all.
    and I wasn't having the strong desire to drive it through the front of the dealership.

That seems to be a trend for people who own GM vehicles. It's not so bad that the truck has problems, what's really bad is trying to deal with a service advisor who gives you the attitude like he's doing you a favor by listening to you not that he would do anything about it or even care. Now that pisses people off. Been there done that but I must say that it isn't limited to GM dealers.

Good luck with that Ford.
  • pondrockerpondrocker Member Posts: 18
    I agree & have no doubt that GM dealerships are not the only place where you will end up frustrated & leave with nothing resolved, I'm sure its industry wide. The catch is WHY ARE WE ALL TALKING ABOUT BRAND NEW GM TRUCKS WITH PROBLEMS? You shouldnt even have to remotely think about going to the lame dealerships after dropping $30-40,000 on a NEW truck! Every day there is someone new in this forum with a brand new GM truck with under 20,000 miles that has major issues that GM will not even consider finding a solution for or attempt to make you a happy GM customer, they could care less, you are just another "sucker" that fell for the fancy lipstick on their pig!
    Everyone should take a look at the Dodge & Ford truck forums, you will see very few posts about BRAND NEW trucks, the few posted are probably just your typical bad apples in the bunch, it happens to the best of them. I would stay as far away from these trucks as you can until you see all the daily posts from NEW truck owners diminish, they are all :lemon: Again my point is, Why are we all discussing BRAND NEW GM trucks with problems, anyone????
  • natesmsnatesms Member Posts: 20
    I agree completely about the brand new trucks thing. It's why I traded mine. It had so many problems when it was brand new, I just couldn't see it getting any better. It's first trip in for a problem was at 500 miles and it just never stopped.

I worry about people who don't have some knowledge of how cars and trucks work in general. The service rep says, "Ohh just had to replace the lifters, the tech has the heads on the bench right now." Like it is no big deal...don't let them fool you, that's open heart surgery on a motor. You "can" get them back together like new, but they have to pull a huge number of parts off the motor. That just kicks the door wide open for more issues in the future.

When they replaced the lifters they took the heads off the motor and replaced all lifters both sides when the computer told them the 1 cylinder that was misfiring, don't tell me GM doesn't know they have a major problem with this AFM crap!!! I wish I knew enough about the heads to know why you would have to take them off to replace the lifters anyway...

Also, another thing that I found at what seems to be all auto manufactures is that the Power Train warranty appears to be pretty much worthless. It covers just deep internal items that virtually never go bad without something else causing it. So if something else causes the failure (which it will), it doesn't get covered. I actually had an impressively frank conversation at the ford deal with the sales manager, who agreed openly with the above statement.
  • lfeleslfeles Member Posts: 2
    My truck started making the same noise just after my first oil change. It started getting bad so it took it in. It took a bit to convince the dealer there was a problem. They finally agreed to tear it down and found the cam shaft was in bad shape. The mechanic claims it is very common with an AFM engine. I have 45k on the truck. I own a repair shop and think we are all going to have future issues. I keep hearing about another type of lifter and rocker arm that helps. They then program out the AFM. Who knows. Ask your dealer about the technical service bulletin that is out for this same issue. Don't let them tell you this is not a common problem.
  • mtnjam2mtnjam2 Member Posts: 1
    I had EXACTLY the same experience. They replaced cylinder #1 plug and wire TWICE, then about 40,000 miles later I had to have cylinder #3 replaced. This time I had them ALL replaced and new wires. Talked to GM dealer here in STL and they deny any problems. arrrrghhhhh........
  • flatfoot1flatfoot1 Member Posts: 3
    Driven from Az to Cal as you all know its flat. driven with tailgate up, down and with a camper shell get 14 mph with cruise control. active fuel mgmt, A non working selling point. Should have known better.
    2010 5.3 silverado. vehicle knocks when starting. it lunges when put into drive. after completing a turn i must allow the computer to adjust before slowing otherwise the lunges accelerates. Often vehicles sound like its missing. owned for 8 months 12000 miles. i am getting 2mph less then when i bought it. Dealer states the computer runs the eng and fuel mgmt system and no trouble code so no problem. This is my 4th silverado and the first time these type of problems have occurred.
    flatfoot1,
    I understand your frustration and apologize. Please e-mail me with your complete contact information (mailing address, phone, first & last name), VIN and current mileage, and the involved dealer. I would like to address this issue further with you through email. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    pondrocker, i've owned 2 gm products in past a new cadillac & a new chev. pick -up. total cost $79000. both were infested with problems. the cadillac dealer were good to work with but two many problems for a $45000 car. the truck dealer was good but the factory rep. was a jurk he didn't want the truck to be fixed & there were a lot of problems with it like the rear end, the transmisson. the inst. panel the drive line the steering column, the brakes disc.a noise in front when making a turn. some problems were fixed but the major problems didn't get fixed. whats bad was most of these problems have been going on for the last 10yrs. & will go for ever. gm don't care about their customers. they just want your money. I got rid of tr :lemon: uck at 30000 miles to keep from having to spend a lot of money when the warranty goes out.I for 1 will never buy a gm again. :lemon:
  • texag2001texag2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 silverado with 14500 miles and my mpg average is the same as yours. It's a problem
  • tomdogtomdog Member Posts: 1
    2008 Siverado, 5.3 V8. Just under 34,000 miles. Been idleing rough last couple weeks. Have noticed the lifter tick recently (last few months or so). SES came on today. Took it to dealer - #7 cylinder miss-fire. Dropping it off Monday to service. Not encouraged by these posts. Will keep you posted.
    tomdog,
    Please keep me updated on your situation. Feel free to email me directly. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • drosslanderdrosslander Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 Sierra with 5.3 AFM. It has 42,000 km worked flawlessly til last week when it started to sputter and engine lights went crazy. Same diagnosis as yours with #7 lifter packing it in. I'm not very happy about breaking down the engine and replacing the lifter assembly but what can you do.
    Crossing my fingers that it runs as well as it use to.
    drosslander,

I would encourage you to contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • tom6mntom6mn Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I have a 2007 silverado 5.3 and bought it new. I am a loyal Chevrolet owner and have never bought anything else. At around 50000 miles the truck started to consume excessive amounts of oil and the warning light would come on. The truck was over 3 quarts low. After talking with the dealer thy told me that this was normal consumption. After leaving the dealership the warning light came on again after 1000 miles and I returned to see why the warning light kept coming on if this was "normal"? They then told me they needed to change all my lifters. I was given the truck back and told it was perfect! After about 5000 miles the indicator light came on once again. I returned and this time they told me they were going to "soak" my piston and install a deflector in the oil pan. I told them (after researching experiences on the intenet) that this fix was only temporary and didn't fix the problem. They did not take my word and did the "fix" anyways. After driving 5000 miles the oil was again 3+ quarts low. I have contacted Customer Service, GM Executive offices, the LATimes, and Public Relations with no resolution! I have even been called a "Jerk" by the regional manager at GM! Are they crazy?! We spend 35000 for a truck and they call us jerks when we have an issue that is not our fault!!?? I am very unhappy with GM and they should be ashamed for treating customers (who saved them from bankruptcy) with such disrespect. They are now changing all my pistons and rings ( 3rd time trying to fix) and this osmunda again a temporary fix. They will not replace the engine as they should and are trying "band-aid" fixes. To top it off they only offer a 12000 miles warranty and after that ur screwed! I am very displease and wish I could trade mine in for a Toyota! At least they have customer service and are not afraid of admitting a mistake and Doug recalls! I gues I learned my lesson the hard way! Eating $35000! Buyers beware! The 2011's are the same!
    tom6mn,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. You stated you spoke with GM Customer Service; could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your case.

Thank you,
    My number is 71-911235617. I have talked with numerous people over two uears who have been anything BUT helpful! Why are others getting their engines replaced and others are getting the big finger from GM! I have even been called a jerk for trying to get my issue resolved as it should! This is the third time taking the motor apart and I am extremely concerned! I have been using my time and money to go to the dealership over 20 times in the last 2 years! Please help! Someone please!!! I am desperate and feel like GM is takin my money and running!
    You know there's a problem when customer service says there is nothing they can do for you! Good luck guys! Looks like were all getting shoved through a dead end process! Has anyone had their engines replaced for this issue?
  • doc623doc623 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2008 Silverado with 47,000 miles and since March of this year the truck has been in and out of the shop 3 times for the same issue of cyclinder #4 misfiring rapidly. So it happened the first time in march they "fixed" the problem by putting in new lifters in the engine that lasted for about 6-8 weeks. Around Memorial day the truck began experiencing the same problems again GM offered me a new engine that they couldn't or more likely wouldn't deliver so they took 3 weeks to trouble shoot and "fix" the engine again by replacing the lifters again as well as the VOM (regulates fuel, air and oil flows to engine). It was a week to the day from picking up the truck until it was back in the shop. I gues this is a really long winded way of asking if first it seems like this is a systemic problem across the 07-08's has anyone got GM to replace the engine or got them to replace the truck?
    doc623,
    I apologize for your concerns and frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN and Dealer information? Has the dealer tried to involve technical assistance? If not, I would recommend asking them to do so. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • imblueimblue Member Posts: 4
    Good luck with your 6.0L , my 5.3L problems did not start until 22,000miles.
    I experienced the same thing at an intersection, and was intent on stepping on the brake and the computer message said to get service. Once I had turned the truck off and back on in my 07 Silverado the message was off and have not experienced that problem again, oil consumption problem is my issue also.
    I have been in and out of Chevy dealers with my 2007 5.3L Silverado XLT for 2 years now. I love the truck and its first 20,000 miles. Now I am so frustrated at all the problems, "uses" 1.5 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles, and yes I am monitoring it for GM so....................... when will they step up and come up with a fix. Also had to have AC reprogrammed, and transmission fixed as it would not change gears, these problems were fixed by dealers and covered with warrantee. Then the windshield split for no apparent reason, and while it was raining the wiper flew off. I have experienced the acceleration problem as I was slowing into an intersection, but that has happened only once, knock on wood. The sad part is my husband bought this truck for me, new and $43000 and he died in 2009 before the problems started. The dealership is telling me what GM is telling them to do and in turn the dealership tells me to keep calling the 1 800 numbers. Why doesn't the dealership put pressure on GM, as they are made to look like fools.
    imblue,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    This particular discussion is for questions and problems with the Active Fuel Management system. Please check the main Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra listing for discussions on other components of the truck. Thanks!

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    Same song and dance from GM again last week. Finally the service manager admitted I would probably always have to put a quart in about every 3,000 miles, and that some were having to put one in more often. Does it make me feel better, h.... no!
    imblue,

The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi)." " Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition."" Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more. "Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner.

Thank you,
  • mgigueremgiguere Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 chevrolet silverado with 52,000 mile on it already had the lifters replaced due to the fact it was consuming almost 2 quarts of oil every 1500 mile. Oil is still going some where once again. Also truck stinks rotten eggs and my exhaust is turning all black from running so rich. This all started after the replaced the lifters. Just got the truck inspected and now they are telling me i need ball joints and a cv boot WTF? I drive 45 miles on the highway to work everyday how does this happen? Gm not very helpful at all!