Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    As I recall drop shipping is only available on their Chrysler/Dodge products. Check their web site to confirm this. I ordered my CRV, 1Feb and it should arrive end of this month a 3 mo wait don't know what it is now. Good luck
    rockycow
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    I asked and they said they could ship the crv.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sheehy.com sells Hondas at no-haggle prices, but I looked and found they list only one CR-V EX auto, and for $23,755.

Above MSRP sort of defeats the purpose of a no-haggle dealer, though. Oh well. They don't list Odysseys at all. Maybe for future reference.

-juice
  • elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    I just learned of this site yesterday, and the gentleman who told me said to post this question to you. Received a brand new CR-V on 3/19. On 4/5, began noticing an intermittent, very soft creaking sound, underneath, occurring only when I first begin to accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gears. Service Manager said the technician heard the noise then, and also when at a standstill. I never hear the noise at a standstill, so I think the technician was talking about something else. Manager said they found nothing loose underneath. He called national tech support, who said they were just now receiving calls about same noise, but hadn't figured out what to do yet. Manager advised me to keep driving and check back. The noise is still there, and is driving me crazy, esp. in new car! Any ideas? Oh, by the way, I've got the noise on audiotape!
  • geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information about the exhaust system. I searched all over the internet and couldn't find it.

I still love my cr-v after almost three weeks of owning it.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Elisthorn - Someone has more faith in me than they should. =)

Congrats on the new CR-V. Is it a 5 speed or auto? I'm guesing auto, but don't want to assume. When you are accelerating, are you accelerating hard?

Also, does the problem happen when taking very sharp turns. It doesn't have to be at high speed. Maneuvering in a tight parking lot might do it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! I am sure your friend also told you this is the finest group of CR-Vers anywhere!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tidester/Steve - Just an FYI. This isn't your baliwick, but I'm hoping you can pass the word. The Consumers Most Wanted poll on the sidebar allows double access. I filled it out last night from home. I'm able to access it a second time from work. In fact, I could probably log off and vote several times (not that I would do such a thing).

Dunno how they were hoping to prevent this (cookie ID or user login), but it ain't workin'. I'm going to have to let Al Gore know about it, if this happens again. =)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks! I've passed the word along!

I really really really do not want to get into counting chads! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    I drove 67,000 miles in my 98 crv and I traded it in (for a 2002) and I only took an $8,000 loss! That works out to 11 cents a mile! Very impressive for a car that was purchased brand new!
    My CR-V is a 5 speed. I'm just back from the dealer. The technician tried to recreate the sound by slowly accelerating with the brake on (not what I assumed as a "standstill". The service manager road with us and said, no, that's the car straining against the rear brakes. He heard the noise, esp. on my tape recorder that I'd thoughtfully used. I"m to take car back on Monday and they'll try some other things. No, I'm accelerating very gently. I don't know about the sharp turns--I'll try and get back to you. Thanks!
    The CR-V is supposed to perform a self-test of the ABS system. I don't much about this, but others have posted about it. CR-Vs with ABS (is your's an EX?) will do a quick brake test the first time you put the car in gear. It doesn't matter if it's a forward gear or reverse. However, this should only happen when you first start up and move. Since you are hearing it all the way up to 3rd gear, I doubt that this is the cause. My only concern would be that it is malfunctioning and testing the brakes too frequently. Just a wild guess.

Good thinking with the tape recorder.

I wouldn't worry about the quick turn issue. After reading your last post, I'm pretty sure that the problem I was thinking of could not be it. When the fluid goes bad, the RT4WD system will make a squeal/grind kind of noise. Typically, this doesn't happen until about 40K miles. I was thinking that perhaps you had some how lost RT4WD fluid (a slow leak), or got a batch of bad fluid.
    So no one has had their crv shipped from Mark Roberts to local dealer?

Anyone on here worked with Matthew D Shaw of mark roberts? How was your experience with him?

Thanks.
  • jjc7jjc7 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a gold EX a week ago from Sloane Honda via Autobytel. They took $300 off the sticker. Easiest vehicle I ever purchased. As noted on this site, the driver's door is stiff to shut and open as compared to the other doors. The road noise is louder than my old Camry, but the veiw from up high is great. I ordered the cargo cover from www.hondapartsforyou.com, $130, no tax, no s&h. Thanks for all the info from you guys who blazed the trail and posted it here. Keep em comin. What a great site for cr-v owners.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Just got back from a 3 day vacation in the
    San Bernardino Mountains.Loaded up with two
    mountain bikes,large ice chest,4 suitcases,with room left.Went over 200 miles on 1/2 a tank.
    While up there ventured up a dirt road in the woods with snow ,mud,boulders,it did not miss a beat.My wife drove back down and said this is
    "exciting".It is no sports car but who cares.
    May Consumers Report put the Rav 4 ahead of the CRV.That's fine if you want less room and power.
    The only feature the RAV4 has that would be great is removable rear seats.
  • surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    I just purchased a new 2002 CRV-EX 5 speed. Actually this is my 2nd week with the car. I love it!! Had a 1993 Accord with 170,000 and what a change!! I love the build quality and its larger than I thought. My friend bought a Tribute at the same time, it will be interesting to compare down the road. My one glitch is that my seat does rock at certain times (mostly when letting out the clutch) it was very intermittant at first but it is more frequent now. Or just maybe i'm noticing it more because it is new and i'm all over this car. I love the info here and really appreciate the a/c defroster trick by fasteddie #6798. My 1 question is that in viewing the threads the seat problem is refered to as bulletin 02-017. Is this a Honda bulletin or a national safety bulletin?? I do have confidence in Honda to provide a fix for this problem (they once replaced some sort of ignition camshaft (car was sputtering) at 80,000 on my accord for free (said it was a bad part)so I have faith in them.
    I understand that because the Honda is so new that even the dealers might not know what I'm talking about so I would like to find out as much info as I can before I call them (probably when i get my tags or get first oil change maybe earlier)
    This is a great forum I comb it every day. Any feedback or help appreciated
    Thanks Varmint. I appreciate your suggestion. It is an EX. If anything else pops into your mind, please let me know. Anyone else who has had this prob, please write. I'll be sure to mention the ABS check to the technicians on Monday and will get back with you afterward. Think I need a spelling lession (road > rode!).
  • bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, i agree with jjc7, the driver door of
    new CRV is really stiff to close.
    Why is this problem? why dosen't it happen
    to the other three doors as well?
  • chookichooki Member Posts: 7
    Hi!

I just got a 2002 CRV EX, and I have two comments about it - the first is the driver's armrest. It sits pointing down, so that my hand can rest on my thigh when my arm rests on it. I've heard others say similar things - is this by design? Or do I have the dealer adjust it?

And, am I the only one who likes the Mojave Mist color and saddle interior? I found the black interior waaayyy too dark.

-Chuck
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Whne I first saw the Mohave Mist color I thought Honda had made a horrible mistake.

Turns out to be well liked by lots of people.

Same with the saddle interior. At first, we all hated it and thought our customers would too.

Both MM and the saddle have grown on me, and are good sellers.

Still, Number One seller...Silver EX automatics.
    Just picked up on another piece of the puzzle. The creaking occurs not only when I first accelerate after shifting into gear. I also heard it when I slowed way down in gear and then slowly accelerated. Don't think I'm hearing it above 3rd.
    Surfactant - It is a TSB number issued by Honda. While the Service Writer may not know about it, they should be able to look it up.

Elisthorn - Let us know how it works out. The ABS check "theory" is something I've read on the internet. I haven't seen it validated, yet.

Isell - Remember when the first few spy pics were posted. People were blasting Honda for not changing the new model enough. I think it's safe to say that particular opinion has faded.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Just curious about most popular colors.
    1. Silver
    2,3,4,5 ?????
    I'm guessing they may be different in Canada & Europe.
    My personal preferences-1. Red(that's what I ordered)2.Silver 3. Mojave Mist(although I've only seen one).
    The beige FABRIC doesn't matter since I'm changing to leather.
    I'm still up in the air about black body side cladding. Easier or harder to keep clean than paint?
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I thnk the driver's armrest is not propely set - the passenger's armrest is pretty much horizontal and is much more comfortable that way. I am going to get my dealer to fix the driver's side.
    As for body cladding - I have it on Silver EX - I think it looks really great. And so far, is has not been a problem keeping it clean. But I've only had my '02 for a little over a month. I did like the red exterior color but could not take the saddle interior and was not going to put leather when temps here can be in the 90's and 100's. Think Honda should give more choices in this respect - they don't offer options like other car makers, so they should offer choices in colors. Black interior with the red exterior would look good.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My next car will likely be silver. Maybe champagne depending on how it looks on that particular car. Much easier to keep the appearance clean.

Flat black cladding is like teflon, though. You don't have to wax it, and usually rinsing it with water is enough (or even rain). Major utility points for better scratch/chip resistance.

-juice
    People are funny...The saddle interior is either loved or hated with few people on the fence.

" Oh, YUCK!! what an UGLY color interior!!"

or...

" Oh, I LIKE that interior...it's such a pretty color!"

After silver, it's kind of a toss up. The least popular color is white.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    As I mentioned here a few times
    my new EX/Auto made a bang/clang once only after each start as you accelerated to around 5/10 mph or near the 1/2 gear transition (never occurs again on that drive until you reastarted again).
    Took it in finally to Honda dealer and they put it up. The clang was coming from the ABS brakes. There is a self test done on the ABS each time you start car and initailly accelerate.
    Actually as you accelerate, if you keep one foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake as you go beyond 5, 10, 15 mph and beyond the 1/2 gear transition, you do not here the clang, but as soon as you release the brake, the clang occurs.
    The techie had not heard it before on a CRV so decided to take 2 new EX CRVs on the lot out to see if they made the same clang noise, or was it just my vehicle. Both CRVs also made the clang noise. You may not here the bang if you have the radio on your keys make clings. But once you here it, you do notice it thereafter.

Give it a try and post observations.
  • phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Is the noise so objectionable that you would not purchase again if you had the choice? I did 3 test drives before ordering and did not notice anything. Now,I'll have to check this issue out.
    Thanks,and keep posting if anything else comes up.
    To me, anyway...what bothers some people.

I know that sound. ALL Hondas do this when started the first time. It's not a big deal at all and the vast majority of people would never notice it.

The sky is not falling, folks, it's nothing!
    Zops - Yep, that's the ABS test I was talking about. However, my understanding is that it should only happen once after starting the car. Elisthorn seems to be having this happen more frequently.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    varmint/Elisthorn - Yes it does it only ONCE after start and acceleration up to the 5mph or close to 1/2 gear transition -- The noise does not occur again on that drive. Shut the car off and restart and the noise occurs again.

Funny thing is if you hold down brake and accelerate at the same time to 20 or 25mph, the noise will only occur as soon as you release the brake pedal -- The ABS it is!!

If it occurs again in that initial drive after startup, it may be a tranny issue.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I tried to start it after it was already running
    and my wife did too.When you make it so quiet
    I think there should be an interlock system so the starter will not work when the engine is running.Incidentally I got 25 mpg on 1/2 tank
    with 40 miles of it on mountain roads the rest
    (about 100) doing 75-80 on the freeway.Not to
    bad!
  • rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    isellhondas - I agree that white is the least popular colour here in Canada as well considering it isn't even available. Maybe it blends in too much with the snow?
    Actually we don't get the green colour either. Possibly because it blends in with the grass?
    Personally I love the Mojave Mist with saddle leather and have loved it since the first day I saw pictures of it. I actually bought my V on the first day they were available at my local dealership on November 26 and that was the first time I saw MM in person.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    should make a bang/clang sound, should it? All the late model Hondas I've driven (I haven't driven the CR-V though) make a humming sound that lasts for about a second. However, I know some cars make a cracking/creaking sound that's part of the self-adjustment feature of the brakes.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Isell thanks for the info on the least popular color. My ex is white with saddle, it suits me fine, I like it and its great that its the least popular. I hope it stays that way. I don't like to see too many vehicles that looks like mine. Also from experience I always sold for a better profit if the vehicle was different.
  • granny8granny8 Member Posts: 2
    Anybody have any idea of the towing capabilities of the CR-V? I want to buy a new vehicle for mainly highway driving but also want to use it to pull a fold-down camper. So I'm looking for comfort, fuel economy and enough power to tow a camper - not interested in wilderness camping, just state parks, etc. Any experiences?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Honda recommends a maximum trailer weight of 1,500 lbs for the 2002 CR-V (1,000 lbs for the 1997-2001 models).
    I wasn't picking on your color. Someone asked me(I think) what the order of popularity was with colors.
    I happen to like white cars. My Miata is white.

White is the easiest color to touch up scratches etc. I've owned many white cars in my lifetime.

That being said...for whatever reason, it's the least popular. Still, not a dog, they do sell well.

I wish we had a dozen on the lot to sell. They wouldn't last long!
  • sacprofsacprof Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I've been reading this board for some time and appreciate the info. Test drove the rav4 about a year+ ago and found it noisy and small compared to the crv. Waited for the new engine and found most dealers were ordering to meet requests. Didn't want to do that as I like to see what I'm paying that kind of bucks for. Bought a black EX/4wd last week, not first choice of color bu acceptable. The dealer graciously sold it to me for only msrp + full price of $1551 for the plastic they had added. Total of $24293. Having read this board I realized they were not going to budge much as these go fast around here. The first dealer I checked in the area was sold out with a shipment expected 'in about a week.' So far it is great, quiet in my opinion. I had the roof whistle once out of 8 times on way to work, about 35mph. Not since. So far no seat rocking, clanks or bangs on start up, armrest seems level, and driver's door swings freely. I'm just putzing around town until get 600 miles so wont try for milage check for a while. I can't see waiting to 7500mi to change oil, any suggestions?
    I have never had a car with overdrive.......and the 02 CR-V manual doesn't explain much about this.....can someone explain to me iF it should be ON or OFF.............and does anyone know what the button all the way on the left of the odometer is for?
    I would leave the overdrive ON all the time. Some people may cancel it when going up or down steep grades, but IMO, with the grade-logic in the tranny, that's not even necessary.
    Someone told me that the keyless remote can be programmed to beep when u press a button. Anyone know anything about this?
    I know on the pre-'02 dealer-installed alarm, you can turn the "beep" on/off by simultaneously pressing the "lock" and "option" buttons for about 2 seconds. But my impression is on the '02, you beep the horn when you press the lock button twice. And I don't think it beeps when you unlock.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Thanks h1vc. Now we wait for the IIHS to chime in. Folks, when you scan the results, be sure you read the FAQs and other information on the site so you can properly interpret what you're seeing. That said, it's interesting to see that only the Acura MDX and Pontiac Aztek have four-star design in rollover resistance; maybe "wider is better" . The Buick Rendezvous rates three stars; perhaps that indicates that it's less related to the Aztek than I've been led to believe.
    Well, that's what Honda told us to expect. Surprized about the side impact tests. Both vehicles (with and without airbags) scored well. You have to check the exact test data for each vehicle to see the difference. It didn't flop on its side this time, either.
  • phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    Please save me some time scrolling posts & list accessory sites other than handaaccessories.com. I am looking for the side running boards that are shaped like tubes. Can't seem to find.
    PRICES ON CR-V. Philly area seems to be loosening up. After I ordered my EX Auto, I got several dealers that called willing to match price of $22,035 with no add ons except T&T. Ended up at Sloane Honda-Steve Black.
  • acknjacknj Member Posts: 1
    Hi--
    After 2 months of waiting, I finally picked up my LX (Silver, automatic) on 4/16. I've been reading all of your posts and, though I've only had the car a short time, noticed that the driver's arm-rest is ok, the passenger's slopes downward a bit; I don't have issues with the doors being hard to close; I don't notice the seat rocking; and haven't had any other issues I've seen mentioned elsewhere (yet!?).
    On the flip side, I am not sure I'd put myself on a waiting list ever again. If the car is not on the lot, I will walk. It was such a hassle with the dealer making up stories about the delivery date (4 weeks, then 10 days, then "any day now"), and other slimy things... only to get the car and find a scrape on the bumper (they say they'll fix it, we'll see).
    I enjoy the car, but I am not sure the Honda dealer experience is worth it.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Does anybody have any specualtion about whether Honda will change any of the colors next year, or leave them the same? I would like to see the bright Milano Red in a new model. The CR-V brochure actually tries to hide the current dull red by using a bunch of lighting effects to make the car appear bright red. How did some of you guys find out about colors so early last year when nobody evem knew what the CR-V looked like?
    Phillyguy - Try this link.

varmit "CR-V Owners: Accessories & Modifications" Jul 20, 2001 10:41am

The first few posts in the modifications section of the owners board have a good list.