Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe 2007+

pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
My wife had said she was finding the headrest to be a bit too forward for her comfort. I asked her if this was something recent or did it bother her from day one of our purchase. She said it was just recently. I went out to check and sure enough the kids must have been roughing it up in the back seat and accidently pushed against her headrest. I explained to my wife that the Santa Fe headrests are adjustable. She was not aware of this. You have four available settings. Pushing them beyond the fourth setting will allow them to retract and reset.

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Hyundai's new Santa Fe will be moving up in size, and it will now have 3 rows of seating. The Tucson is now Hyundai's small SUV. The SUV will be built at the Alabama plant.

Anyone know anything else about the Santa Fe? Any additional pictures?

Here's the Edmunds link.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106454
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    Here's another Edmunds.com thread with some good information. The following are shots from CarSpyShots.net showing an uncovered right-hand-drive (taken in Australia) pre-production unit; the first interior shot below goes with the exterior images (it's brand new - just posted today) and the second photo is left-hand-drive (taken in Korea). Enjoy!

Front-end
    Rear 3/4
    Interior1
    Interior2

Mike
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    I am glad they are keeping the back door lifter. It's a great little feature.
    Yeah, definitely. I've been glad on many an occasion that my Santa Fe's rear handle is so big and easy to use. It's great to see that they've decided to keep it.

Mike
    The leather-wrapped hand-brake and rubber cup-grips for the front-seat beverage retainers are out -- a foot pedal-type parking brake and spring-loaded cupholders are in.

Mike
  • bohemusbohemus Member Posts: 1
    Any word on when and how much? Those unmasked shots look great! Hyundai really has it going on!
    Availability: Earliest - late February 2006, latest - May 2006, most likely - March 2006

Cost: nothing yet (official pricing probably won't be released until at least February), but I figure from $24,000-$27,000, depending on trim level and options. We'll see....

Mike
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I agree with your availability estimate, but I think your pricing is low. My guess would be up to $30,000 max. But again, its all speculation.
    Well, this is the way I figured it: its lowest-priced true competitor will likely be the Mitsubishi Endeavor, which starts at $25,699. Its most expensive competitor will likely be the Subaru B9 Tribeca at $31,320. Since Hyundai generally undercuts the competition by $1,000-$3,000, I figured a $24K-$27K range would be about right. Now, if the navigation system and Dynamic Toe Control do indeed make their way to the options sheet, a $30,000 price tag (or even a touch more) on a loaded LX AWD could be very realistic - especially since that current trim can cost up to $26K. At this point it is unclear whether the 3rd-row seat will be standard or not.

So I guess I'll go ahead and revise my estimates to between $24,499 (assuming a GL 3.3-liter 5-seater as the base model) and $29,999 (for an LX AWD NAVI with a Premium Sports Package).

Mike
    Comments released by Hyundai Motor America today seem to indicate that the 3rd-row seats will be standard on the '07 Santa Fe: "Later in 2006, Hyundai will introduce a completely redesigned Santa Fe SUV, which will also lead its segment in standard safety features including Electronic Stability Control, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, side-curtain airbags for all three rows and active front head restraints."
    [Source.]

Mike
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    I can't see why Hyundai wouldn't offer 3 rows standard, unless they want to undercut the competition by a wide amount in the GL trim. From my knowledge, doesn't the Pilot have it standard?
    "...doesn't the Pilot have it standard?"

Yes -- as do the Mazda CX-7, Nissan Pathfinder, Mitsubishi Montero, and Suzuki XL-7. On the other hand, the Toyota Highlander, Subaru B9 Tribeca, Buick Rendezvous, and Ford Explorer don't; while the Mitsubishi Endeavor, Nissan Murano, Pontiac Aztek, Chevrolet Equinox|Saturn Vue V6|Pontiac Torrent, and regular-length Chevrolet TrailBlazer do not offer 3rd rows at all. Because of this and undercutting factor (as you pointed out), there was some ambiguity concerning how the Santa Fe would be equipped.

Mike
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    The all new 2007 Santa Fe is going to be an exciting vehicle. Top notch fit and finish with a standard safety package which will put the great Toyota to shame.

Toyota is scrambling to respond to this safety standardization initiative from Hyundai and Honda. The racked their brains and viola - "the Star safety system" is their new marketing slogan.

Where was this "Star" system two years ago? Toyota had the audacity to bundle safety features in "packages". Want side air-bags? Buy package # 5.

If you are in the market for a SUV, I suggest you wait till the 2007 Santa Fe goes on sale. You will not be disappointed. And yes, dont insult your intelligence by falling for the "Star" marketing system.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    As far as we can see from the pictures, the third row occupants have the back of their head inches from the rear window. Could be nasty in a rear end collision.

The rest of the vehicle looks light years ahead of the current Santa-Fe however.
  • jshinjshin Member Posts: 7
    Here are another spy shots,

1. compare with current Santa Fe (dress-up bumper and grille, hood scoop for turbo diesel(korean version))
    http://kr.img.dc.yahoo.com/b4/data/car/1123819720.jpg

2. compare with Kia Sedona
    http://kr.img.dc.yahoo.com/b4/data/car/special1091672159.jpg

I think the size of new Santa Fe might be similar to that of Honda Pilot or Nissan Murano. :)
    Yeah, it's definitely larger. The only preliminary measurement I have is a width of 76.6", and I'm not sure if that's accurate or not (though it seems to be). For comparison, consider the following measurements:

Saturn Vue V6: 71.5
    Toyota Highlander: 71.9
    Ford Explorer: 72.1
    Lexus RX330: 72.6
    Hyundai Santa Fe (SM): 72.7
    Kia Sorento: 73.3
    Buick Rendezvous: 73.6
    Mitsubishi Endeavor: 73.6
    BMW X5: 73.7
    Subaru B9 Tribeca: 73.9
    Nissan Murano: 74.0
    Ford Freestyle: 74.4
    Chevrolet TrailBlazer: 74.7
    Volkswagen Touareg: 75.9
    Dodge Durango: 76.0
    Hyundai Santa Fe (CM): 76.6
    Acura MDX: 77.0
    Honda Pilot: 77.3
    Chrysler Pacifica: 79.3

The length, wheelbase, track, height, curb weight, payload and towing capacities will all see increases as well. Overall, I think it will be closest to the Acura MDX inside and out.

Mike
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    off topic, but I do believe it is relevant...a friend of mine, who does not like Japanese cars, but is enthralled with American and Korean cars, states the following to me:

Japanese cars use thinner weaker steel for their body parts, so they practically self-destruct in a collision, whereas American and Korean cars use thicker steel and their cars/trucks are sturdier in a collision.

I know this is BS, but I have no source to document...while I believe Korean cars are sturdy, I also believe the same about Japanese cars...any sources out there to prove him wrong, aside from my personal opinion???
    Absolutely - check out the crash test results on this site. Below are some stats that I've calculated for you:
    Automobiles rated "Good" in the category of Structure/Safety Cage after the 40-mph offset crash test:

American Brand-base - 65 tested; 54% rated "Good"
    Buick: 4/7
    Cadillac: 3/3
    Chevrolet: 5/12
    Chrysler: 1/4
    Dodge: 2/6
    Ford: 6/9
    GMC: 1/4
    Jeep: 1/2
    Lincoln: 3/3
    Mercury: 4/5
    Pontiac: 3/6
    Saturn: 2/4

British Brand-base - 3 tested; 100% rated "Good"
    Jaguar: 1/1
    Land Rover: 1/1
    Mini: 1/1

German Brand-base - 13 tested; 85% rated "Good"
    Audi: 2/2
    BMW: 3/3
    Mercedes-Benz: 3/3
    Volkswagen: 3/5

Japanese Brand-base - 56 tested; 88% rated "Good"
    Acura: 4/4
    Honda: 5/6
    Infiniti: 4/4
    Isuzu: 0/1
    Lexus: 6/6
    Mazda: 2/5
    Mitsubishi: 5/5
    Nissan: 6/7
    Subaru: 3/3
    Suzuki: 5/6
    Toyota: 9/9

South Korean Brand-base - 9 tested; 44% rated "Good"
    Hyundai: 2/4
    Kia: 2/5

Swedish Brand-base - 6 tested; 100% rated "Good"
    Saab: 2/2
    Volvo: 4/4

Automobiles rated "Good" in the category of Structure/Safety Cage after the 31-mph side-impact crash test:

American Brand-base - 13 tested; 8% rated "Good"
    Chevrolet: 0/3
    Chrysler: 0/1
    Dodge: 0/2
    Ford: 0/2
    Jeep: 1/1
    Mercury: 0/1
    Saturn: 0/3

British Brand-base - 2 tested; 0% rated "Good"
    Jaguar: 0/1
    Land Rover: 0/1

German Brand-base - 5 tested; 40% rated "Good"
    Audi: 1/2
    Mercedes-Benz: 0/1
    Volkswagen: 1/2

Japanese Brand-base - 24 tested; 4% rated "Good"
    Acura: 0/1
    Honda: 0/3
    Infiniti: 0/1
    Lexus: 0/1
    Mazda: 0/3
    Mitsubishi: 1/3
    Nissan: 0/3
    Subaru: 0/2
    Suzuki: 0/4
    Toyota: 0/3

South Korean Brand-base - 5 tested; 0% rated "Good"
    Hyundai: 0/3
    Kia: 0/2

Swedish Brand-base - 4 tested; 0% rated "Good"
    Saab: 0/2
    Volvo: 0/2

Mike
    As for those vehicles rated "Good" overall in the offset test:

American Brand-base - 65 tested; 54% rated "Good" overall
    Buick: 4/7
    Cadillac: 3/3
    Chevrolet: 5/12
    Chrysler: 2/4
    Dodge: 2/6
    Ford: 7/9
    GMC: 1/4
    Jeep: 0/2
    Lincoln: 3/3
    Mercury: 5/5
    Pontiac: 3/6
    Saturn: 2/4

British Brand-base - 3 tested; 67% rated "Good" overall
    Jaguar: 1/1
    Mini: 1/1

German Brand-base - 13 tested; 100% rated "Good" overall
    BMW: 3/3
    Mercedes-Benz: 3/3
    Volkswagen: 5/5

Japanese Brand-base - 56 tested; 82% rated "Good" overall
    Acura: 4/4
    Honda: 6/6
    Infiniti: 4/4
    Isuzu: 0/1
    Lexus: 6/6
    Mazda: 2/5
    Mitsubishi: 4/5
    Nissan: 6/7
    Subaru: 3/3
    Suzuki: 2/6
    Toyota: 9/9

South Korean Brand-base - 9 tested; 44% rated "Good" overall
    Hyundai: 3/4
    Kia: 1/5

Swedish Brand-base - 6 tested; 100% rated "Good" overall
    Saab: 2/2
    Volvo: 4/4

Automobiles rated "Good" overall in the side-impact crash test:

American Brand-base - 13 tested; 23% rated "Good" overall
    Chevrolet: 1/3
    Chrysler: 0/1
    Dodge: 0/2
    Ford: 1/2
    Jeep: 0/1
    Mercury: 1/1
    Saturn: 0/3

British Brand-base - 2 tested; 0% rated "Good" overall
    Jaguar: 0/1

German Brand-base - 5 tested; 60% rated "Good" overall
    Mercedes-Benz: 0/1
    Volkswagen: 1/2

Japanese Brand-base - 24 tested; 42% rated "Good" overall
    Acura: 1/1
    Honda: 2/3
    Infiniti: 1/1
    Lexus: 1/1
    Mazda: 1/3
    Mitsubishi: 1/3
    Nissan: 0/3
    Subaru: 1/2
    Suzuki: 0/4
    Toyota: 2/3

South Korean Brand-base - 5 tested; 0% rated "Good" overall
    Hyundai: 0/3
    Kia: 0/2

Swedish Brand-base - 4 tested; 25% rated "Good" overall
    Saab: 1/2
    Volvo: 0/2

Mike
    Here are some new photos:
    Of note, #4 is the first image to show the base temperature controls and leather-wrapped steering wheel (standard for North America). In the US, we very probably won't be getting a manual transmission or hand-brake lever. The color is Powder White Pearl, though it may be called something more "truck-like" when the vehicle arrives next year.
    Enjoy!

Mike
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I'd be surprised if the stick shift made it to the states.
  • munchcolomunchcolo Member Posts: 2
    The 07 Santa Fe looks very promising. I'm looking for something:
    Mid-size
    AWD
    Affordable (but with lots of extras, like leather, navigation, good audio)
    Respectable mpg
    Hey, mike belknap, you sure seem to possess a wealth of information about the possible features on the new Santa Fe. Is your stuff pretty reliable?
    What about auxiliary audio input for ipod or other mp3 players?
    "Hey, mike belknap, you sure seem to possess a wealth of information about the possible features on the new Santa Fe. Is your stuff pretty reliable?"

It varies: some of it's confirmed (e.g., standard XM Satellite Radio & 3rd-row seats), some rumored (e.g., the 3.8-liter 263-horse V6), and some is just a logical progression from their current/near-future line-up (e.g., fold-flat rear seats).

"What about auxiliary audio input for ipod or other mp3 players?"

Well, all of the available stereos will play mp3-encoded discs, but I'm not sure if there will be an iPod "plug-in." I know that the home-market vehicles will probably have this -- but it's just one of those things that has a 50/50-chance of making it to other markets. If it doesn't, you may want to consider getting the XtremeMac AirPlay. Granted, it might not be quite as convenient, but I figure that it could be an option. A friend of mine has one, and it works well.
    If there's anything else in particular you'd like me to find out, I'd be happy to try and get some answers for you -- I have some pretty decent resources. ;)

Mike
  • munchcolomunchcolo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks mike. Another suv I'm interested in is the Acura RDX, due early next year. I've been checking forums for info on it, but there isn't a lot. Do you have any scoop on it?

I know it will be more expensive than the Santa Fe, but it'll probably have more bells and whistles (except for the third seat in the Santa Fe).
    "Another suv I'm interested in is the Acura RDX.... Do you have any scoop on it?"

Probably not anything that you don't already know. As with the '07 CR-V, the RDX will be based on a modified TSX platform, but unlike the Honda, the Acura version will sport standard SH-AWD and either a 260-horsepower 2.2-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder or a J-series V6 (from what I'm reading now, the former is the most likely). A 6-speed manual transmission will be available. Exterior styling will resemble the latest RD-X concept (obviously!), but this and this are the only spy shots that I know of. The options list is said to be very impressive, so expect prices to start out in the very upper $20K range, but quickly rise to well over $30K with some of the cooler packages.

Anyway, that's about all I know - AHMC is keeping a tight lid on any information regarding this vehicle.

Mike
    I hope they keep the hand brake in #4...I really miss hand brakes, they are just so neat to me...
    Well, I suppose they could -- hand brakes are definitely more convenient, IMO. Hopefully they're thinking the same, eh? :)

Mike
    Don't Jeeps and Jags still have hand brakes???...what other vehicles still do???
    Most still do, actually. Amongst the more mainstream brands, certain...

Acuras, Audis, Bimmers, Benz', Caddys, Chevys, Chryslers, Dodge', Fords, Hondas, Hyundais, Infinitis, Jags, Jeeps, Kias, Landys, Lexus', Lotus', Mazdas, Mercs, Minis, Mitsu's, Nissans, Pontiacs, Porsches, Saabs, Saturns, Scions, Subies, Suzukis, Toyotas, VWs, and Volvos.

Did I miss any? It really just depends on which model you pick in a given brand's line-up, but hand brakes are still very commonplace - much more even than, say, manual transmissions. The current Santa Fe (SM) has one, actually - as do all other available Hyundai models, except for the XG350, I believe (the XG's replacement, the Azera, will not have a hand brake either).

Mike
    My Volvo XC90 do not have a had brake. ;)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I35 does not have a handbrake.
    "My Volvo XC90 do not have a had brake. ;)" "My I35 does not have a handbrake."

LOL! :P That's why I said "certain...." You folks crack me up. :D

Cheers!
    Mike
    Actually, that's a separate, larger vehicle than the '07 Santa Fe (CM). This has caused some major confusion on many message boards. The SUV mentioned in that press release is internally code-named "EN." It will seat seven adults comfortably, and John Krafcik, Hyundai's Vice President of Product Development and Strategic Planning, recently confirmed that the exterior styling will be similar to the Azera and new Santa Fe. Like the Santa Fe, the as-yet-unnamed ute is car-based, but will be more upscale, priced higher, and roomier. Perhaps this is the easiest way to think of it: the EN is to the CM, what the Azera is to the Sonata.

The CM will go on sale as scheduled for Spring 2006, while the EN should debut later in the year, also as a 2007 model-year vehicle.

Mike
    Here are some new spy shots for you all. They're the first to clearly show the side styling. :shades: The US-spec models won't be getting the side repeater lamps or blacked-out B- and C-pillars... or the front and rear camo, for that matter. ;)

Photos 1 & 2
    Photos 3 & 4

Mike
    Thanks!
  • newdoc2002newdoc2002 Member Posts: 7
    So will the 07 Santa Fe seat seven? or just the larger all new model?

It would be nice to have a reasonably priced seaven seater SUV that isn't a tank, is dependable, gets more than 15 mpg and is better looking than the Tribeca. And not a minivan.
    From what we know so far the 3rd row on the 2007 Santa Fe will be for children only. What I find most concerning is that from the pictures we have seen so far, the seat backs are right against the rear hatch. Does'nt seem to leave much protection for the 3rd row occupants.
    Both will have seating for seven, but, unlike the CM, adults will fit nicely in the EN's third-row. The Santa Fe's rear-most right-hand seat is clearly visible in this photo -- it's a 60/40-split arrangement (the "40" shown), with height-adjustable seatback-integrated head restraints. Both sides should easily fold flat into the floor when not needed. In the above photo, they appear to be positioned very near to the rear glass, but the seatback angle seems to suggest that there may be a reclining adjustment of some sort.

It has now been confirmed that the EN will also be a unibody SUV, but it is unknown if the all-wheel-drivetrain will be front-, rear-, or symmetrically-"biased," or if the 3.8-liter V6 will be transverse- (like the Azera) or longitudinally-mounted (like the 2008 "BH" RWD luxury sedan).

Mike
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Do you know if there are any plans to offer a diesel option in the 2007 Santa Fe?
    "Do you know if there are any plans to offer a diesel option in the 2007 Santa Fe?"

In Europe, a common-rail turbo diesel will be offered at (or shortly after) the initial launch. There are currently no announced or rumored plans to offer a diesel-powered CM in the US at this time. Given a few successful years of sales, and widerspread acceptance of diesel engines (the cleaner-burning diesel fuel should help), I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyundai bring a Santa Fe CRTD here. On the other hand, I think the Tucson is a strong candadite for the near-term -- perhaps as early as the 2008 model-year.

Mike
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    I hope Hyundai finds a new name instead of "Santa Fe."
    Well, the "CM" (due this coming Spring), will apparently retain the name Santa Fe. The larger "EN" (due late 2006), will, of course, be called something new.

Mike
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Santa Fe is a pretty neat name. Think about it, they named their smaller SUV the Tucson, after the city in Arizona, and their bigger SUV is called the Santa Fe because Santa Fe is a bigger city, and the capital of NM.

Just found it interesting that they named both their SUVs after cities in the Sunbelt.
    no future models are named Gulfport, Biloxi or New Orleans...
    No, that wouldn't work: it sounds too weird and people would mispronounce "Biloxi," anyway!

Just as an FYI, I lived in Biloxi for 5 years (this was a good 8 years ago) and visited about a year ago. It's gonna be strange going back -- most of the city simply doesn't exist anymore. Really sad stuff.... :(

Mike
  • newdoc2002newdoc2002 Member Posts: 7
    Good pic of the third row seat. Yes, it's really close to the back hatch. I would assume they have done a crash test with that third row seat even though a high speed rear collision is less likely.
    Yeah, it's about the right time to be finishing up the internal crash tests for the home-market vehicle. A crush-zone was integrated into the rear of the truck - they'll be looking closely at structural and fuel tank integrity.

Mike
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Think about it, they named their smaller SUV the Tucson, after the city in Arizona, and their bigger SUV is called the Santa Fe because Santa Fe is a bigger city, and the capital of NM.

Interesting idea, but the logic doesn't work because Tucson is bigger than Santa Fe. But Santa Fe is a capital city. Thus you get partial credit and avoid having to re-take Geography 101. ;)
    was also the name of a railroad, whereas Tucson was not...how this is relevant, I don't know, but it is Sat night, and I am sitting at my computer... ;);)