Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What Cars are E39 5-Series Owners Buying?

manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
edited March 2014 in BMW
As an owner of a 2003 530i I have been on a test drive craze to see if anything out there matches/beats the E39 benchmark.

Let us know what choices you have made or are considering in this regard.

Comments

• warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I too have a 2003 E39. I'm not really looking to replace it yet, but if I were I would seriously consider the current 3-series. It has nearly the interior volume of the E39 but without the eccentric styling of the current 5-series. Audi and Infiniti G would also get a look.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Interesting question that, as a 2003 e39SP owner, I have been unwilling to answer yet :D My titanium silver/black beauty has been a fabulous ownership experience and I've said before that I'd just as soon drop the wonderful new TT engine into my car than give it up - if that were possible!

I've driven the 535SP and it is a terrific car with the most comfortable seats I've experienced. Sport option a must and do not recommend active steering. I'm 55 and have just had both knees replaced (20-year rugby career "been berry berry good to me"), so improved ingress/egress over the e39 a plus.

Just can't warm up to the Infinity M35/45 - looks like it could be the latest Nissan Maxima to my eye (the new G37 Coupe a much better effort by far and very nice). The Lexus GS is both tight and soft for me, although beautifully built and detailed. The MB E350/550 is on the cusp of a major series change, so a bit long in the tooth and resale bound to take a hit. I simply find the BMW to be the more engaging sedan from both a styling (controversial to some) and performance perspective.

Similarly equiped, the new 5er runs about $7K more than my e39, so will hang on to mine a while longer until I am simply bowled over emotionally enough to buy something new.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    That's funny, I am double nickel age wise as well :-)

I recently tested the following cars as I consider replacing my '03 530i (non-SP but have 17s all around with Michelin PS2s):

All 2008 models:
    Cadillac CTS-4
    Lexus GS350/ES350
    Mercedes C300 Sport
    C300 Luxury
    C300 Sport 4Matic
    Audi S5 (manual)
    Honda EX-L V6 Sedan
    BMW 535xi
    BMW 335i Coupe

I really thought I wanted either a 4-wheel drive sedan or coupe. The acceleration penalty weighs heavily on my mind though :-) If I were to buy another RWD car it would be another 5-Series since I know based on 8 winters in 2 different E39a that with the right set of tires I can easily negotiate 6-8 inches of fresh snow (without a lot of hill climbing).

So I am still looking to drive the:

Infiniti M35x
    BMW 335xi Coupe (only 3-Series design I like)
    Accord Coupe EX-L V6
    Infiniti G37 Coupe 4-wheel drive when they come out

I know that Accord seems out of place but I drove the sedan and was very impressed. Plus I know how they handle in the snow since I had 3 Accords and 2 Acura Legends. I do like RWD handling dynamics better but the new Accords really do tame any torque steer even using exuberant throttle.

I'd be happy to share more thoughts on any of my test drives and how it stacks up to an E39.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    I'd be very interested in your thoughts about the new S5. Sat in one over the weekend - demo model was on the road in a "very prolonged" test drive and the black/black model in the showroom was just sold!

A more "emotional" design than many from Audi and I was impressed, but have no seat time on the road. Of the cars you drove, I've only considered the 535 & 335 coupe - was very impressed with both. 535 seems to fit me better, but the coupe is also fine with the b-pillar moved back due to longer doors.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Has anyone bought one of these?
This discussion has been closed.