Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    wow, sounds like a thorough job. The amplifier should make a big difference at higher volume levels. Are you dynamating the whole door, or just the speaker surround?

Keep us updated on how it sounds and how the dynamat affects road noise, I'm sure there are several more interested parties on here.

One thing to check, if you haven't already, is whether or not your kicker amplifier accepts "speaker level inputs" If it does, you won't need the RCA converter you previously mentioned.

Good luck, and give us a full review when it's done!
  • hondaman01hondaman01 Member Posts: 163
    I use Mother's products and they are great. Always use a 100% cotton Terry cloth for washing and wiping wax and you will avoid swirl marks. I also have a pressure washer and that really gets a lot of the crud off even before you touch the paint.

Black bumpers.....use a little of that tire gel on them and they stay nice longer...just make sure to rub it in well. Back to black is good too.
  • altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    to all for the tips on bumper care, waxes, etc..
    This is a great forum for sharing information.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Armor All cracking dashes issue is more than "alleged", it happened to my old Datsun. The car was 10 years old at the time and the cracked right across the middle after I applied Armor All.

YMMV but don't say I didn't warn you. I have a bottle I got in a gift pack and still refuse to use it.

-juice
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I've been doing a bit more reading into this stuff. Apparently, the older stuff was silicone based. The silicone seems to be the culprit for cracking dashes. Now, it seems they have switched to a water-based formula or something like that. Not too sure, but I will never use the stuff and I don't recommend to anybody.

I did use the armor all car wash for a while, but the Mother's stuff I just bought works much better...better shine and few to no water spots.
    Do you recall when they switched?

This happened to me in 1990, on a 1980 Datsun 210 coupe (rear wheel drive!). Imagine how peeved I was, the dash lasted 10 years and then cracked the very first time I applied what is sold as a "Protectant". Puh-leeez!

-juice
  • ExtellExtell Member Posts: 7
    Just talked to a salesman at markrobets in oklahme, the honda dealership that sell honda's at 316 over invoice.

Basically thery are not going to do that anymore for the cr-v, and the next shipment in august will go for sticker price. Salesguy said something about honda being mad at them for selling them so low , and the local population not being able to get any crv-s.

For everyones info.
    No exact date, but it sounds fairly recently.
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi just found out about the new honda pilot,I have a 2002 CR-V ex in sliver with 1300 miles.Do you think they will give me a good trade for the pilot.Or I will lose to much....
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Armorall - I've been using it for three years on my dash. No problems.

Ssoto - Why pony up for the Pilot? I gotta wonder why you bought a CR-V if what you needed is a fairly large midsize.

To answer your question.. you will take a serious loss trading in the CR-V for any new vehicle. However, with CR-Vs going at MSRP, you might find a private buyer who is willing to pay for yours rather than wait for a dealer.
    Keep the CR-V for a year or two, then get a Pilot when demand isn't quite so extreme. I bet you'll see markups above MSRP at first. Odysseys still are hardly discounted at all.

-juice
  • jquantjquant Member Posts: 10
    Who has it and where can I get? Single Din
  • fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    I never heard from any 2002 crv owners about this so i'll re-ask.

Any of you have a problem with the back window being hard to close? I need to push down to the right of the black handle for the window to close. If i use the handle, it does not lock down.
  • maq4463maq4463 Member Posts: 45
    Thought I explain my experience about dash or vinyl polish too. I have been using stp Son of a Gun (really thats the name) for years and it works excellent, just have enough shine to make the dash look very clean and polished. Cheap too, less than $3 if I remember. DO NOT use it on leather it will not work, this stuff is only for vinyl and plastics. I even used it to clean and polish my stereo (black) it will work for any plastic.

For black bumper and plastic sill trim I use regular spray on tire polish/shine etc. It attracts some dust over time but not too much.
  • phandy1phandy1 Member Posts: 3
    Well after months of going back & forth between the 02 CRV and the 03 Forester, I finally settled on the CRV. Went to the local Honda dealer where I have test driven the CRV twice. I knew ahead of time that they are not taking anything off the sticker price--they don't have to. The CRV's are flying off their lot. But I figured I ought to get a decent price for my trade-in since the dealer is making $$$ on the CRV. WRONG! They told me what they'd give me on my 99 Villager, I told them what I wanted for it, and they upped their offer about $700 which was still $1000 below what I want. No more counter offers from the dealer, just a suggestion that maybe i should try selling it myself. I've never done that, but am willing to except for one little problem--what if I sell my van and there's no CRV available? Sure don;t want to rent a car for the interim. Guess I'll start driving to other dealers in the central IL/St Louis area.
    Fern - Is it the weather stripping? It could be uniformly out of place. If that's a possibility, I'd check it against another CR-V on the dealer's lot. (Sorry, mine's a '99 model.)

Phandy - I assume you are not in a position where you can buy the CR-V, then sell the van?
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi, just curious I have a 2002 crv ex,I put a baby car seat and after two weeks when I went to wash the crv I notice after removing the baby seat the back seat it was damaged.Called the dealer and the mang. said that wasn't covered and to buy a steamer and that would do the trick.And mind you that I had that car seat on my 1992 niss.sentra for 2 years and not even an indent.So what gives is the seats that cheap.They did replace my front driver visor.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I too noticed the tendency for hard objects
    to crush the pile of the seat fabric which leaves
    a dent.It usually goes away though.When I take my
    two grandkids in my CRV I put a towel under
    each childseat which protects it.I don't think
    the seats are cheap just the nature of the
    fabric.
  • jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I have had my 2002 CR-V EX (auto) since Christmas. For various reasons, my wife and I have only put 3100 miles on it since we bought it. Should I get the oil changed soon? I read the manual and it says 10,000 miles for normal driving, which we currently fall under, or 5000 miles for severe conditions. I was thinking of waiting until 5000 at least, but since it has already been 5 months, does anyone think I should change it sooner?

Also, on a note related to some of the above discussion, can anything be done to fix a surface scratch on the top of my 2000 Accord's dash vinyl? It is about 3-4 inches long and is very noticeable. Can anything be applied to smooth it out?
    I would change the oil at least twice a year, even if the mileage is very low.

-juice
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    My dealer has recommended a 3750 mile interval. Whether that is really needed - don't know but I will probably stick to it. Can't see where it could hurt anything where going a longer mileage/time could have adverse affects later on.
    I think that regular maintenence is xxxx miles OR yyyy months. I'd still do the oil changes after the given amount of time even if I hadn't driven the car more than 10 miles.
    Ssoto1 - Did the seat fabric rip, or just "dent"? My neighbor's 4-Runner had a puncture from excessive wear and tear after a few weeks. I assume that it depends on the design of the car seat as much as the fabric. I guess we'll have to wait and see if more CR-V owners report this problem.

On a related note: I noticed that Volvo advertises a neat child seat feature (or maybe it was Audi). The center portion of rear bench can be slid forward while a baby seat is fixed into place. This allows the front passenger to turn and fuss with the baby, but they don't have to unbelt and reach all the way back to the second row. Is this also possible using the 60% section of the rear bench in a CR-V? I have a friend who is interested. Thanks.
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    03 Expedition has it. You could do it with the crv but you won't be able to seat any people in the seat next to it, no leg room.
  • trilliumstevetrilliumsteve Member Posts: 35
    The 2002 JD Power initial quality survey is out -- the CR-V was in the top three -- listed second (which I believe means that it came in second) after the RAV 4 in initial quality. Listed third was a tie --the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Subaru Forester.

http://www.jdpa.com/pdf/2002040.pdf

On a personal note, I picked up my 2002 today, and with a whopping 9 km (5 miles) on the odometer, I have not found any problems yet!

• freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    I'll check this and get back to you, but speaking from experience my son (15 months old) is already able to press his feet into the back of my seat. Granted he's large for his age, but I would think that the benefit would be balanced by the constant kicking of the seat. For infants, the seat should be facing rearward anyhow, so you wouldn't gain too much with the seat forward. We always just reclined the passanger seat to look in on the 'little' tyke.
    A towel under a child seat is a good idea in any car, given the usual spills.

Nice to see the usual suspects in the top 3 at JD Power, I guess the Sante Fe snuck in, too.

But Malibu? Hmm, JDP is 90 days, so short-term quality is not the same as long-term reliability. Malibu and Santa Fe do poorly there, and Forester ranked ahead of the RAV4.

-juice
  • freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    The center spot on the 60 split appears a bit more narrow than the outer 2 spots. This can make it harder to fasten a seat in because the buckles end up coming from under the seat across 'sharp' edges. These edges wouldn't cut in most circumstances but could cause the belt to wear and fray over time. The tumble seats have the 'buckle' attached to the seat frame and not the floor so it travels with the seat as it moves front to back. You will need a child seat with a long "LATCH" strap to reach the tether points, however most of the tether straps are pretty long to begin with so I don't think this would be an issue. My biggest concern on the 02 is that center shoulder belt. The belt is pulled forward and clipped via a secondary clip to the seat base so that when you unbuckle it doesn't go flying past your head. This metal clip goes into what appears to be a plastic latching system which is where my concern comes in. This latch is what creates one of the 3 anchor points used by a traditional shoulder belt. Now it LOOKS plastic inside, but that could just be a nylon cover or coating over metal. I'm sure Honda had to saftey test this thing to hold a full size adult back in an accident and find some comfort in that, but from just looking at it I'm not entirely sold on its integrity. (doesn't mean it isn't good) The absolute last thing I want coming unsecured in an accident would be my child so I think it's important to really examine this connection point because the center space is also the safest position for a child seat.

That said, you would still have to slide the shoulder belt off the passenger to reach around to the child. I guess a lap belt is better than no belt, but still fairly unsafe. I'm going to try creating the latch layout with text, so if what follows looks like garbage it probably is....=P

\
    \
    \
    \
    \
    \
    \
    \
    [=======D

This lower left point is the one created by the secondary fastener. Normally this is anchored to the vehicle body directly, but in this case it is anchored to a buckle type latch that is attached to the seat frame.

Hope this cleared up things a bit.
  • sophie333sophie333 Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

I just purchased a clover green '99 CRV/EX, 5 speed w/sunroof, 58,000 miles for 13,900. It's in very good shape. Is this a decent price, or did I really screw up on my homework? (I live in Indiana, by the way....kind of a mid-line economy state). Your perspectives will be appreciated...
  • nohornnohorn Member Posts: 5
    If you haven't yet tested your 2002 CR-V on a washboarded dirt road, you might want to try it and listen for the thunking sound on the right front. Sounds like suspension noise but it's due to a clearance problem between the top right engine mount baseplate and the mounting surface. Repetitive bumps at the right speed causes the engine mount to "crash-stop", resulting in a metal-to-metal thunk. My car did it from day-1 and after a determined and persistent effort, for which my dealer should receive some kind of Nobel Prize, the service techs discovered the problem and solved it temporarily by using washers to increase the "crash-stop" clearance. It was implied that there would likely be a future recall to replace this engine mount with an improved version. Five ***** for Honda service!!!
  • chayachaya Member Posts: 18
    Guess the "power" in their name doesn't really mean that since everythinge I've read says the RAV4 is severely lacking in that respect ...
  • carm3carm3 Member Posts: 10
    i placed an order for a 2002 crv ex silver on
    april 8, the dealer told me first 3 to 5 weeks
    then about a week ago they said possibly first week in june, so said the gen. manager, i spoke to my salesman today he thinks really 1 more month which will make 3 months . is this normal
    for that color and has anyone else had this kind
    of experience from honda.
  • crv139crv139 Member Posts: 41
    Yes it is normal for the V to arrive late. I have a Silver EX it was suppose to be in about the third week of April but came in on the second week of May. Your dealer should have a shipping date and your VIN. If the can not give you that info then you will be waiting a long time.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    CRV's are bveing delayed because of the change in manufacturing sites. Honda went to Europe for the East Coast and Japan for the West coast. All CRV's for the East Coast are being held in the Port of Baltimore for inspection. Honda will not release them until the inspections are complete.

Jerry
    A minor problem but all my doors squeak when opening/closing. Have about 4500 miles. Anyone else notice this - '02 EX auto.
    Either get the dealer to lubricate the locks or go to an auto parts store (or even a home hardware kind of store) and buy a hinge lubricator.
    Why would the locks need lubricating if the squeak occurs when opening/closing the door.
    I knew I could probably fix this myself, but this is the only car I've owned that does this - even with 115000 miles on it. Curious if any other new cr-v's are doing this.
    I meant the hinges mucky..sorry :(
    Use a spray lithium grease, that ought to do the trick.

-juice
  • iluvhondasiluvhondas Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, come to think of it, I hear the same thing on my 2002 V. I chalked it up to the suspension. I can hear it on certain bumps on my commute to work. Definitely on the right front.
  • elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    First of all, thanks to all who helped me with this problem. Had into shop 5/22. They said they had TSB# (02-17 for freebar--but I never saw full description for repair), and knew what to do. I THINK seat is fixed. Have started off slowly, quickly, etc. and seems good, but every now and then I THINK it rocks ever so slightly. I'll stay vigilant! I love the EX, but honestly have never had any problems like these with a new car. Thanks for all your help! Elisa
  • elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    My VIN was OUT of the "trouble zone"! Elisa
  • nohornnohorn Member Posts: 5
    I just starting reading about this problem and want to add that my 2002 CR-V LX appears to have the same problem. I'm always checking the fwd/bwd slide latch to make sure it's properly locked (and it always seems OK) whenever I sense the seat movement. Guess I'll have to make another trip to the dealer to have them check this out.
    Every once in a while, I've thought mine rocks slightly too, but I believe it is more the back than the entire seat structure. My vin should be outside the problem zone.
    I don't recall (pardon the pun) this being discussed here yet, but AN wrote that 1.3 million Hondas and Acuras are being recalled, including 1997-2000 CR-Vs.

Just a heads up to keep an eye out in your mail boxes.

-juice
  • fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    ditto with muckyduck. i notice that if you adjust the seat height a little it can go away. The seat is still covered for the duration of the warranty.
  • nsakinsaki Member Posts: 2
    I am a big Honda fan and have been looking at the CRV for a while. I know Honda wants to keep things simple but why do they only have two interior colors, saddle and black. Black is a terrible interior choice as it makes for a boiling hot interior, esp, down here in the south (Atlanta). I use to have a silver civic (81) with a burgundy interior --- I loved that combination. They are extemely good at building the cars at Honda, but they need better color coordination. What say the rest of you folks?
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    I have been thinking the same thing about the interior colors available. Black cloth (or leather) makes me burn up just sitting here. Imagine it in a black car! Ouch!

The saddle in the CR-V doesn't look bad, but maybe an interior color such as gray would be nice.
    I have the silver EX with the black interior. So far, I have not found it to be that hot (Houston) but it sure shows cigarette ash (naugthy me smokin' in my car). But I could not take the saddle color.
    I totally agree Honda needs to hire some better interior designers. They have the building part down pretty good - now to improve on some comfort features!
  • scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Have driven black cloth interior cars for 12 years, now own a silver EX. They don't get any hottor than other colors as long as it isn't vinyl. My old corolla with black cloth/velour never gets hot even with no tinted window. Now those vinyl trim ..... ?