Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Another Equinox rebadge.

Latest Buick Encore teaser shows us more of the same

Don't want to leave Buick out! :sick:
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Kinda sad, but I always remember the Cavalier Z-24 as being a decent little car, but the one that comes to mind for me is the 1988-90 style which, IMO, was probably about where the Cavalier peaked out. It actually had, dare I say, a nice interior! And good looks, too. They started botching it up with a 1991 restyle though that cheapened the look, both inside and out, and then when the 1995 redesign came out, I didn't like it at all. That's when it really started feeling like a cheap rental car, IMO.

One of my cousins, who I guess is in her mid 60's by now, wanted a Grand Am SOOOO bad back in the day. She had a Ford Probe, but it's been so long ago that she had it I can't remember the year, but she was probably in her mid 40's when she got it.

She finally did get her Grand Am, a silver coupe. Forget what year it was, but it was the final generation. I think it was fairly reliable, but just an uninspiring car all around. I don't know what happened to it though. When her mother (my great-great aunt) went into a nursing home, she got her '04 or so Impala, and whenever I see her she's driving that.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited December 2011
    LOL, the girls I went to college with at the time were driving what we used to call "Plasticars"; Z24 Cavaliers, and Grand Ma's with tacked on plastic and rubbermade interiors, handed down to them by their parents.

Those and Chevy Berettas. A Probe was an exotic compared to those piles of junk.
    Yes. And this from a GM guy.

Fair enough;)
    edited December 2011
    Actually, is it politically correct to say "secretary" anymore?

LOL, I guess that would be an administrative assistant;)

But yeah, today's v6 Mustangs and Camaros will out perform most pony cars from the 70's and 80's.

The v6 Mustang is probably nearly as quick as the early '90's Cobra mustangs. Granted it doesn't have the torque but is nearly matches the HP and add better gearing and it's close.
    400 gross, back in the good old days, and I'm sure the V-6/automatic Camaro would smoke most of those old 60's muscle and pony cars.

No question. My dad had a 71 Mustang convertible with a 2bbl 351 that I drove quite often in HS and it probably would have a hard time out running a Cruze. Sure the Mustangs and Camaros back then could be had with big HP v8's, but few had them, so no doubt a base mustang or camaro would blow away the average model from the '60's and 70's.
    My hot rod would be a Boss 302. :)

Good choice, Ford's new DOHC 5.0 v8 is sweet. Over 440hp and 7,500rpm. NICE!
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Perhaps that is the reason as Jeep looks vastly improved as well.

Regards,
    OW
    Actually I am having a hard time with my dream 'Vette now that the Boss 302 is around...

Regards,
    OW
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    I never knew a girl with a V6 Cavalier. I bought a Beretta GT new and enjoyed it. I think it looked way less-girly than a Probe, of which I remember so many being naked down the side and having plain silver wheel covers (the Probe, that is). Plus, who wants a car with a name that reminds one of a visit to the proctologist?
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Looks like the blast out of the gate has slowed significantly. Market is filled to the brim.

Last week, GM shut down production of the Cruze, saying only that it had an unspecified “supplier issue.” But Automotive News [sub] reports that had already GM shut down the Lordstown plant for the entire week of November 28, after inventories shot from 33 days supply to 73 days supply during the months of September and October. As of December 1, inventories had risen higher still, to 88 days, as sales continue to slacken. Lordstown reopened yesterday, but with sales falling and inventories running out of control, another slowdown or stoppage of production seems inevitable.

So, what happened to the Cruze’s sales? The fact that its downturn coincided with the switch from 2011 to 2012 is certainly mysterious, as GMInsidenews’s reliable guide to 2012 model-year changes shows that only the following features were deleted from Cruze in the switch from 2011 to 2012:

(GAP) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color
    (EN4) Cargo cover compartment
    Rear center headrest on all trims

Surely a lost cargo cover compartment and rear center headrest don’t explain the downturn… which might actually be cause for even greater concern. If GM could pinpoint a specific problem that is keeping buyers away from new 2012 Cruzes, it could remedy it fairly easily. As things stand though, it’s tough not to conclude that GM may simply have filled the bulk of market demand for their car, and that it’s now losing out to the brutally tough competition in its segment. If that’s the case, it doesn’t bode well for The General… at least in terms of perception, as the Cruze goes, so goes GM.

Regards,
    OW
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    And I'm in California and am definitely in a state that is losing to others.

I'm in CA too. I think CA has the problem of being too greedy. They are chasing away businesses, and or driving boycotts toward CA businesses by going after online companies such as Amazon for greedy sales tax.

What do online companies do in response to CA's claim for greedy sales tax since they had affiliates in CA? They simply drop all their CA affiliates, merchants, and manufacturers, and go on about their way!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Where's the "rocket" part? How about the DI 3.6L in there, and add AWD. Then sell it for $25K.

Maybe the 138 HP, which is less than a base standard Civic these days is rocketable since the car could be 2,000 lbs light. OH WAIT, it's a Chevy/GM, nevermind, I'll bet 10,000 dollars it isn't 2,000 lbs. or less.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just for kicks:

Year, Make, Model, Passenger Volume, Cargo Volume, EPA combined, Price

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 104 16 28 $23,855
    2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco 100 14 30 $25,995
    2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 104 11 37 $26,545
    2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid 103 13 41 $26,660
    2012 Kia Optima Hybrid 102 10 37 $27,250
    2012 VW Passat TDI SE (AT) 102 16 34 $27,895
    2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid 100 12 39 $29,395

I put them in ascending order by price, for similar models (not cheapest because the Eco is well equipped).

Using the Sonata SE as the fuel economy benchmark for non-hybrids, gas was $3.39 this morning, diesel $4.09, you can adjust for prices in your region but this is my post so here goes...

Benchmark (Sonata SE) cost per 100 miles is 100/28=3.57*$3.39 per gallon=$12.11.

Eco cost per 100 miles is 100/30=3.33*3.39 per gal is $11.30, so you save 81 cents every hundred miles. To make up the $2140 premium you would have to drive 264,198 miles. Assuming the chinese-made eAssist motor and the batteries last that long.

Creating an Excel spreadsheet to make life easier, and I get:

73,014 for TCH
    91,253 for Sonata vs. Sonata
    115,169 for Optima Hybrid
    162,098 for Fusion
    264,198 for Eco
    5,013,139 for TDI (because diesel costs $4.09)

The only ones even worth considering for the MPG gains are the Sonata and Camry. You may want the TDI for the 700 mile range, though, or if diesel costs less in your region.

If gas prices go up, you break-even sooner, but it's still proportional, so the ranking order would not change.

The only way the 100k+ crowd makes any sense is if you get much deeper discounts. Else forget it.
    Don't write off the Encore as just another rebadge - I'm hoping they stuff the 3.6l V6 in there.

Remember, the Verano got powertrains that were unique, not the ones from the Cruze.

The 3l V6 in the 'nox and Terrain isn't nearly as intersting as the 3.6l from the Buick Enclave, and Buick dealers already know how to work on that engine.
    edited December 2011
    Probe, of which I remember so many being naked down the side and having plain silver wheel covers

Yeah, there were a lot of those, and there were a lot of GT's too. My wife had a '94 Probe SE (basically looked like a GT w/o the v6) with a manual trans. It actually was a fun car. The Mazda sourced 4cyl was a gem compared to the buzz box her previous Saturn SL2 had. It was fun to drive and 100% reliable to over 100k miles. Would have loved for her to get a GT, but back then the we were thin on money.

Sure the name was dumb, but the car was fun. I had friends with Beretta GTs and Z24s, the Probe GT was in another league. But it was a more sporty car overall too. I don't think they really competed. I'd say the Probe competed with more with the Eclipse/Laser/Talon and maybe a Prelude. I know all girly cars compared to a tough macho Beretta LOL.
    GM just needs to bring the diesel and maybe consider the 5 door as well, to keep the product fresh.

Let's hope they keep improving on it.

Also, gas is cheap, so I wonder if the whole 40mpg club is suffering?

IIRC, this was a stock color. :D
    edited December 2011
    That does stink of Saab to do that.

I think you meant that does stink of GM to do that. Blaming SAAB is like blaming Obama for the Recession. The problems started with Bush and GM in these cases.

I'm sure the gov't will honor SAAB's warranties just as our tax money already goes to paying for GM and Chrysler's warranties (even if indirectly).

Why not bail out SAAB? Who's picking winners and losers?
    Also, gas is cheap, so I wonder if the whole 40mpg club is suffering?

Could be. The Camry had a huge month. Maybe some people would rather have a 25/35mpg family sedan vs a 26/38mpg compact. Not to mention the Camry has a lot more power.
    edited December 2011
    LOL. The rear wing makes all the difference in the world;)
    edited December 2011
    The only ones even worth considering for the MPG gains are the Sonata and Camry. You may want the TDI for the 700 mile range, though, or if diesel costs less in your region.

The one thing the VW has the others don't is an available manual trans. I'd love to have a another TDI with a manual. I miss having a manual trans big time. My wife and I never bought a vehicle with an auto until we bought a minivan and SUVs.
    edited December 2011
    The Eco model can make sense, especially if gas prices creep up.
    Good point, if you know how to drive stick, it's both cheaper and more fuel efficient.

$26,765 with freight, and combined MPG goes up to 35mpg combined.

Some quick math, 100/35*$4.09 = $11.69 fuel cost per 100 miles.

You'd still need to drive it forever to make up the premium, but it's a diesel engine, so it might actually last forever, unlike the batteries on any of the hybrids. The engine would likely outlast the rest of the car.

If I got a TDI it would be for the torque and the 700 mile range per tankful, not the $$$.
    Note to andres3:

GM sold Saab, and that included the reserve for warranties, over a year ago.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    If I got a TDI it would be for the torque and the 700 mile range per tankful, not the $$$.

I haven't driven a new Passat, but going by what I've read, I'd likely prefer how it drives over the Malibu Eco. Plus, I would appreciate and put value on the torque of the TDI and the enjoyment of driving a manual.
    edited December 2011
    You're only seven model years off the one I mentioned I had, and what you pictured is not a GT. Mine looked a lot like this one, without the rust bubbles and thankfully, without a spoiler:

http://media.motortopia.com/files/15605/vehicle/4908b7f14ae39/P1010035.jpg

Mine had a light beige corduroy interior, and it was my first car where you could fold either half of the back seat down, while stll carrying a passenger. It had a fold-down center armrest in the back, 2.8 V6 which was pretty peppy, cornered like it was on rails, and a nice swath of cloth on the door panels.

Here's what I recall most Probes around here looking like, but with the silver painted wheel covers:

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/Ui/esq-03-1993-ford-probe-041211-lg.jpg- -
    Um, that's not a Probe GT either.
    True...one had been pictured already. Balance, remember.
    Is it just the aura of "German sedan" that's more memory than reality? I don't know.

It's brand cache, value, and reputation. VW (despite all the stories of reliability issues) has nothing negative on the order of magnitude that GM and Chrysler (and Ford for that matter) do.

People can be proud and happy and say I got a VW (and cheaper these days, so that they can afford it). It's like in the last decade with Sony starting to make cheap lower line Televisions so the masses could buy a Sony TV and say "I got a Sony" (only if they knew the real Sony's are the highest line ones they wouldn't be so happy).

I think establishing a reputation for quality cars that are desireable and then later lowering the price (and perhaps some cost cutting) is a better business model than trying to go upmarket without any reputation or track record of positive light (GM/Chrysler/Ford) all trying to do that with improved interiors, supposedly improved cars, and such.

I have first hand experience with BIG 3 crap, and an '87 Jetta. While the Jetta was far from reliable (when compared to a Toyota or Honda), that gaping gap in quality was equally large between the VW and the Dodge. The Dodge was a Grand Canyon gap away from being as reliable as the VW.

So there you have it, there is positive, there is neutral, there is negative, and then there is extremely negative viewpoints (earned by Big 3).
    If the car had been done right, GM would've pulled off quite a coup in the subcompact market segment.

And if a Corvette Z06 cost $15,000 brand new, there'd be one on my property.

Lots of "IFS" in the world.

One that comes to mind is, IF the Dodge didn't suck so bad every 4 months with a major breakdown, and IF the Dodge had some reasonable resale value on Trade-in, then maybe I'd of been able to consider a Ford or GM in my lifetime.
    What was the price gap between a Neon and a Jetta back then? Just askin'. I have no idea.
    GM sold Saab, and that included the reserve for warranties, over a year ago.

Where's that reserve now?

GM pushed Saab off a cliff, watches them fall, and people who bought one while they were under GM ownership are outta luck?

GM should step up and cover cars sold before Feb 2010.
    edited December 2011
    What was the price gap between a Neon and a Jetta back then? Just askin'. I have no idea.

The Jetta would have been more money for sure, particularly on the base and high end of the model lines I would guess. IIRC a base Neon was under $10k when it was introduced. I bought a new loaded '95 Neon Sport Coupe with the 2.0DOHC 150hp 4cyl and 5 speed manual (not that it had many options, fog lights, CD, Cruise, AC, and power locks etc) and IIRC it had an MSRP of 15k or so.

Plus a Jetta would have been a much nicer car. I paid $21k in 2000 for a Jetta GLS TDI 5speed.
    Ask Saab what they did with the money.

On another board there is vague talk about GM stepping up on at least some of the warranty cost, but if anyone here saw that, they've sure not said anything about it (shocker).
    My point was that for such a "girly" car that you and Lemko think the Probe was, it's kind of funny how the Berretta was the one that came in hot pink... :D
    Wow, the MSRP of your '95 Neon was quite a bit more than that of my '96 Cavalier 4-door 5-speed...by a couple thousand.
    That's "Raspberry", a one-year color.

BTW, it's "Beretta", not "Berretta".
    edited December 2011
    My apologies to dictionary.com for my error...

Raspberry, good. Cause I know penty of former GM owners who ended up with lemons... :lemon: :D
    Did GM get permission from every SAAB vehicle owner to transfer the liability of warranty ownership to another entity?
    edited December 2011
    Wow, the MSRP of your '95 Neon was quite a bit more than that of my '96 Cavalier 4-door 5-speed...by a couple thousand.

IIRC it was the most expensive model at the time. The DOHC 150hp 2 L was an upgrade over the base SOHC 132Hp 2.0. It had the sport suspension, alloy rims and Goodyear Eagle tires, 4 wheel disk brakes, with ABS, upgraded CD stereo with 6 speakers etc. Price should have been close to that of a Cavalier Z24 because that's what it competed against.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    IIRC a base Neon was under $10k when it was introduced.

Man, sticker shock sure is a bee-atch! Somehow, $10K for a stripper 1995 Neon doesn't sound that ridiculous. But I have trouble with the concept of paying $16-20K for a modern compact today. Nevermind the fact that, just adjusting for inflation, that $10K would probably be close to $15K today. And any modern $16-20K compact is going to have a LOT more than $1-5K more value.
    Good point, if you know how to drive stick, it's both cheaper and more fuel efficient.

Unless of course you can develop a quality smooth dual cluth direct shift gearbox like Audi/VW's DSG/S-tronic transmission.

Then the fuel efficiency tips in favor of the DSG over manual by about 1 MPG despite the 100-150 lb. weight penalty.

However, a manual is still cheaper to buy and cheaper to replace, should that ever be needed.
    And any modern $16-20K compact is going to have a LOT more than $1-5K more value.

No doubt, you do get a lot nicer car today.
    I don't have real world experience with a mid-90's Jetta to compare to the '95 Neon, but as was said, a fully loaded Neon (which I got) was about 15,000 dollars in 1994.

I know my Dad paid about 15K for his '87 Jetta GL (not the sporty GLI).

So allowing for the difference in age and inflation, they were the same price more or less.
    Raspberry, good. Cause I know penty of former GM owners who ended up with lemons... :lemon:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Well, that's good, I'm sure those who have GM sold SAABs feel a bit better.
    Did your '96 Cavalier have 132 HP? The Neon Sport (top line, base engine) did. I think the difference in price from the coupe to the 4 door takes away the savings of base engine SOHC vs. the 150 HP DOHC the other guy had.

Did your Cavalier have a multi colored interior fabic? The Neon did.

Did your Chevy have a cold blowing AC, 6 speaker stereo, 4 wheel disc brakes with Anti-Lock? The Neon did. dual airbags? ditto.

Also, My Neon had the ancient 3 speed auto transmission. Auto transmissions were always about 1,000 dollars extra back then, even if Chrysler's tranny had the lifespan of an insect.

Add all that up and I"m sure the Cavalier would have come in around 15K too.