Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    edited January 2013
    It was on our 03 and it's on the Cobalt which is now getting an education at OSU. Couple months back son called after returning from a business trip on Saturday. He had locked his keys inside at the apartment. He called me instead of OnStar. I called, gave them the code number, and the car was unlocked within 5 minutes. Much better than a drive to Columbus to open the car.

>If OnStar had been invented by anyone other than GM

I completely agree. The bias against anything GM permeats the attitudes of some people.

As I've been looking at the current car crop, I laugh about the shrinking of the rear seat legroom in the Malibu with the platform change: if that had come from Honda or toyota, it would be praised as a feature and as forward thinking. It would be mitigated as a negative for a fraction of the folks by pointing out that most of the time the vehicle is driven with 1 or maybe 2 people in the front seat and rarely with anyone other than children in the back seat.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,101
    edited January 2013
    Last place--Chevrolet Malibu ECO.

So you're saying that C&D, which accepts advertising money from manufacturers, is more balanced than CR? Come on, now, I'm pretty sure that's not what I've heard here recently!

The CR review is more recent, and not of the Eco...but you know that.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,685
    edited January 2013
    I agree with Uplander, that that test wasn't totally fair using the Malibu Eco. However, I don't fault C&D, as that's all that was out at the time.

It sort of reminds me of way back in 1980, when MT or C&D did a luxury car comparison and they pitted a Seville, Mark VI, and New Yorker 5th Ave against each other. In performance, the 5th Ave was grossly outclassed, as it only had a 120 hp 318, compared to a Caddy 368 that had around 150 hp, and a Ford 351W that probably had about 140, not to mention a lot of extra torque from those additional cubes.

The Caddy did 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds, quite respectable for the time. The Lincoln managed 10.9. The poor Chrysler came in a distant third, at 14.1.

That year, you could get an optional 360 in the Chrysler that put out 130 hp in 2-bbl form, or 180-185 in 4-bbl. Or in California/high altitude areas, there was a 318-4bbl with 155 hp. Any of those would have been a better match in this comparison.

However, the vast majority of Chrysler New Yorkers came with the 318-2bbl, so I wonder if it was fairer to compare these cars as they'd most commonly be equipped, versus making the engines more comparable? The 360-2bbl was very rarely ordered, and the 4-bbl isn't even listed in the sales brochure. It was mainly a police car engine, and had to be special-ordered.

But, IIRC, the Olds Diesel was actually the standard engine in the Seville, with the Caddy 368 (or Olds 350 gas) being a no-cost option? Most of them came with the gasoline engines though (although enough Diesels were ordered to do some serious damage to their reputation) Anyway, the test was definitely stacked against the Chrysler, but I don't know if I can really fault the reviewer.

In the case of this Malibu Eco, I think they should have just waited until the gasoline version came out to put it in a comparison test. The Eco should be tested with hybrids IMO...only problem there though, against dedicated hybrids like the Camry, it would probably fall even further behind. :sick:

I wonder if the Buick Regal would have done better in that comparison test, as it's essentially the same car underneath as the Malibu. Maybe its base price is too high to be competitive though?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    There isn't a single logo with more history than Subaru's. Not one. You see, Subaru's logo is the Pleiades star cluster. I'll take that over a bow tie any day. ;)

Ford's logo is simple and very direct, I like that one too. I happen to like Caddy's emblem, even if it is a bit busy.
    just correcting the post based on new source information. :shades:
    I happen to think OnStar is an excellent invention and service, with a great value add. It's obviously successful enough that Toyota and VW contracted with them for service for a while, and Hyundai blatantly copied it with BlueLink.

The problem has generally been the cars that OnStar is available on, not OnStar itself. Remember, GM is a car company, not an OnStar company.
    My correction was based on something. Yours is based on nothing.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    Good points, andre.

Concerning the Regal, I've liked the looks when I 've seen them, but they look so small from the rear IMHO. I've not looked at one in a dealership though.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have not experienced OnStar but just this week I posted a link to how UConnect won an award for its interface, which I do like.

We should judge based on merit, not by the label of the manufacturer, and that's what I do.
    You'll have to admit, you're not seeing a whole lot of that on here, are you? ;)
    I've always felt that a logo should have an image or icon, not letters, so I don't like Ford's or the H from Honda and Hyundai.

Chevy's bow tie is just fine, much better than "GMC", IMHO.
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of 'unfair or not', CR also tested the Avenger, but they had it down to 43 points to the Malibu's 83.

Actually, if I hadn't heard anything bad about the Avenger's reliability from people, and the cost was low, it wouldn't keep me from buying one if I wanted one. The shape of the rear door would though. ;)

Last time I looked at one at an auto show (several years ago), I was pleasantly surprised at its U.S. assembly point and very high 'domestic' content.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    It's peak summer heat there so I'm sure that's the case. She's a lawyer so she drives in to town a lot, kids to school, short errands, etc. YMMV but she likely has the worst commute to get decent MPGs.

When I drive in that type of environment in my Expedition, I'm lucky to average 10mpg. No way will a Suburban get close to 15 in that environment.
    Avenger was the lamest car in that class.

It did improve when they added the Pentastar engine and the new 6EAT but CR may have tested one without that powertrain, or perhaps before the improvements happened. Back page has an index with the month and year each car was last tested for reference.

Even Chrysler fans agree, look at the uptick in sales with the recent improvements. Dodge sales were up 26% for 2012.

When you build cars that no longer suck, consumers flock to dealers. To be brutally honest I think the Avenger is still very weak, and needs a ground up redesign. I'm sure the next one will be a vast improvement.
    GMC's logo is a cop-out, Kia is just as bad.
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, Kia's sucks.

I like Audi's four rings. Classy and historically meaningful.

I also like Subaru's, and there's a secret handshake, if you will: the hood latch release aligns with the right-most start in the Pleiades constellation. So the emblem actually serves a hidden function. Now that's cool design. :shades:

VW's logo opens the hatch of a GTI, but I don't like that it's just letters.
    edited January 2013
    Remember, GM is a car company, not an OnStar company.

True, and Onstar did nothing to improve the lousy GM car's I've owned and certainly doesn't attract me to a GM vehicle. I have to like the vehicle first.

Though it would be highly unlikely I'd be willing to pay extra for Onstar as I never was compelled to pay for it in the past.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/10/gm-isuzu-planning-new-truck-development/

Maybe GM will just use Isuzu to distribute pickups for them? Strange.
    http://www.totalcarscore.com/car-reviews/road-tests/spy-shots-2014-cadillac-cts-- v

The rest of the market seems to be downsizing and adding forced induction, but I wonder if this is the right move for Cadillac.
    All I'm saying is, I bet that local woman in her Sebring wished she'd had OnStar.
    Nothing wrong with forced induction as long a Cadillac continues to offer a V6. Seems everyone is offering forced induction 6 cylinders and even a few turbo v8s.
    When you build cars that no longer suck, consumers flock to dealers. To be brutally honest I think the Avenger is still very weak, and needs a ground up redesign. I'm sure the next one will be a vast improvement.

When Chrysler restyled these cars a couple years back, didn't they put a bit more effort into the 200 than they did the Avenger? My biggest beef with both is their awkward (IMO) proportions. I sat in a 200 a couple months ago at the dealer I bought my Ram from, and its interior was definitely upgraded compared to how they used to be. Can't remember if the Avenger got any interior upgrades too, or just the improved powerplants?

Anyway, considering it wasn't a ground-up redesign, I think the did a pretty good job. If all I wanted was an inexpensive/cheap midsized car and didn't care about the latest and greatest, I'd consider one. But I agree, it needs to be redesigned.

If forced to choose a Malibu or a 200, I'd probably go for the 200. While neither one is a car that I really WANT to own, the 200 has a more useable back seat (regardless of the published specs, I at least know I can fit decently in the back of it, but I can't with the Malibu), and would come in at a lower price. These days you could probably get a V-6 200 for about the price of a base Malibu...so while I'd still hate the proportions, at least it would be kinda fun! :shades:
    I'm not a fan of the Avenger. They tried to make a baby Charger, but it's FWD, so I see it as a wannabe, lesser sedan.

It's also sandwiched by 2 better cars, IMHO, Dart and Charger.

I checked out Chryslers and the updates are half way there, but they still have a ways to go. I'd pick a Malibu and a Fusion over an Avenger even for a lot more money.
    GM could do a lot more with that bow tie, it just sits there.
    What you SHOULD be asking is if she wants a car that comes with OnStar, or if she would like OnStar added to her Sebring. There's a difference.
    What you SHOULD be asking is if she wants a car that comes with OnStar, or if she would like OnStar added to her Sebring.

Um, and that could be done...how?
    I was specifically referring to whether the car or the OnStar was more important, but since you ask, it's called OnStarFMV (For My Vehicle) and it's a rear view mirror with built in OnStar capability, that can be added to any car. Pretty cool actually.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Brands/OnStar/pcmcat246300050007.c?id=pcmcat24630005- 0007
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    You just beat me to posting the link.

Judging from what I saw on the Best Buy web page, it doesn't appear to be a big seller....
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,151
    >judge based on merit, not by the label of the manufacturer, and that's what I do.

And you do.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I wonder what it costs.

I believe it is now standard equipment on every GM, although not certain of that.

I doubt many people who wish they had it, like the lady from my town who was in the crash, would pay to have it added to their car, but wish their car had it when they bought it...obviously.
    edited January 2013
    And you do.

I agree. A refreshing change of pace on this board.

You avoid pretty ridiculous, 'on the fringe' postings, like "Sure there's Chevys made in Mexico...like the Captiva (which I couldn't buy if I walked into my local Chevy dealer), and 'OnStar can be added to an earlier vehicle' (yes, but do you know anybody who has actually done that? It's a good built-in feature, I think a lot of owners would concur).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    With install and everything, the first year can approach $700. Kind of pricey.

Mostly you'll have to pay the subscription. $199 annually for the basic one that dials 911 in event of a crash, $299 if you want the turn by turn navigation.

This PC Mag review is a little older now and I think the cost and install prices are less.

Be really good if you have a new driver in the family and have stuck them in an older (non-GM) car.
    Actually, I figure it might be a good investment for older folks. A lot cheaper than buying a new car just to get OnStar.
    With install and everything, the first year can approach $700. Kind of pricey.

True, but I'd gladly pay $700 to avoid driving something I don't want or like.

Regarding adding Onstar. Best Buy used to have a big display promoting adding Onstar to any vehicle. I haven't noticed the display in a while. I doubt there are many takers.
    Yeah, not having to worry about calling 911 when you plow into a deer and hit the ditch would be a nice feature.
    Yeah, but you have to pay a monthly fee for something that you can only use while you're driving, which is a small percent of your time. Maybe 1 out of the 24 hours in a day.

How 'bout an alert bracelet linked up to a smart phone, so you have 24/7 protection?

A lot of people do not renew their subscriptions once they expire.

Of course others have copied the idea, so kudos to GM for thinking of it first. It's just not for me, but I can see why some would want it.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I agree with Uplander, that that test wasn't totally fair using the Malibu Eco. However, I don't fault C&D, as that's all that was out at the time.

I do have to wonder what the point is of the Malibu ECO with all the added complexity, yet identical mileage to non-hybrid models from its competitors.

This is the ongoing stench of GM behavior where they seem to put stuff out there and use names to try and act like they're accomplishing something that they really aren't. A hybrid called an "ECO" that matches non-hybrid mileage! Now there's a brilliant idea!

Why couldn't they just put out vehicles that actually do ok for mileage. They are the world's largest auto manufacturer, why can't they actually put something out that is innovative?

The Volt fits that description, but is an expensive niche vehicle. GM needs to put innovation into the heart of its lineup rather than into niche vehicles like Volt and ATS.
    It was a mistake to launch the expensive mild hybrid model first.

A lot of reviews seem to think the non-ECO model is the better car, and for a lot less $$$.
    edited January 2013
    Mostly you'll have to pay the subscription. $199 annually for the basic one that dials 911 in event of a crash, $299 if you want the turn by turn navigation.

The problem is that you can buy a nav for like, $100 and then no more fees except maybe refresh the DB every year or two.

Also, most people have smartphones that have nav and already cost near $100/month. Most people don't want yet another monthly or annual fee.

I do agree that automatic calling in a crash is a nice feature, but that seems to be the only real advantage. Not needed hardly ever, but could be useful in an emergency.
    I think one reason they didn't launch the mainstream model first is that the standard 2.5 4-cyl wasn't quite ready yet. I wonder if they would have been better off just letting the 2013 launch with the outgoing 2.4 first, and then drop in the 2.5 once it was ready?

Why IS the Malibu Eco so expensive, anyway? I just pulled it up and a few competitors using Edmund's, and, on the quick, got...
    Camry Hybrid: $26,140
    Fusion Hybrid: $27,200 (okay, that ain't cheap, either, but at least it's a "true" hybrid"
    Prius: $24,200 (most people probably wouldn't compare it directly to the Malibu, but it's just about as good at holding 4 occupants, and has more cargo room)
    Malibu Eco: $25,335.

I guess one advantage I could see to the Malibu Eco, versus the Camry at least, is that if you do a lot of highway driving, they're close in MPG. The Camry is rated 39 mpg, and the Malibu is 37. Now in town, the difference is much more noticeable...43 mpg versus 25.

The Malibu also gives you slightly larger tires, alloy wheels versus plastic wheelcovers, and a standard power seat. So, I guess they do at least pack a few nice features in for the price. And, while looks are subjective, I think the Malibu looks a lot better than the Camry. The overall shape of the Camry isn't too bad, although it looks to me like it's going back to that old "80's Aero-wedge" that was all the rage once upon a time. But it definitely needs a facelift!
    edited January 2013
    Why couldn't they just put out vehicles that actually do ok for mileage.

General Motors Sells More Than 1 Million Vehicles That Get 30 mpg or Better in 2012 (automotive.com)

No other domestic manufacturer has matched that so they get some credit and bragging rights.

The problem with calling 911 on your cell is obvious - you may be unconscious and worse, you could be out of sight in a ravine on the side of the road.
    Yeah, but then pick the safest car you can find. The 'bu was only Marginal in that tough new IIHS crash test.

Maybe OnStar should be required for cars that got a Poor like the Camry. :D
    General Motors Sells More Than 1 Million Vehicles That Get 30 mpg or Better in 2012 (automotive.com)

No other domestic manufacturer has matched that so they get some credit and bragging rights.

Yes, but that to me looks like typical corporate PR.
    First, they've sold a lot of vehicles because they're the top domestic manufacturer.
    Second, they limit it to "domestic". So that pretty much rules out everybody but Ford (and maybe Chrysler)!

So they're really not saying much of anything. It's kind of like Honda saying they're they have sold more Ohio-made sedans than any other foreign-nameplate manufacturer in Ohio.

Another typical headline that doesn't mean much other than trying to get some good press. Sort of like using a term like "ECO"!
    Well, it beats number two. And it's encouraging because that's gotta be helping GM meet their CAFE fleet numbers, and with all the new pickups coming out, they probably need to offset some numbers.

GM keeps hyping the Corvette for the Detroit Auto Show, but I have to wonder if the new Silverados will draw more traffic.
    Well, hey, Ford put out the second most cars over 30 MPG than any other domestic manufacturer, and sold more hybrids than any domestic manufacturer as well.

They also sold more Mustangs than any domestic manufacturer, while GM leads all domestic manufacturers in Corvettes and front-end interest loans. :shades:
    Corvette will draw the biggest crowds, but Silverado will result in big sales.
    Why IS the Malibu Eco so expensive, anyway? I just pulled it up and a few competitors using Edmund's, and, on the quick, got...
    Camry Hybrid: $26,140
    Fusion Hybrid: $27,200 (okay, that ain't cheap, either, but at least it's a "true" hybrid"
    Prius: $24,200 (most people probably wouldn't compare it directly to the Malibu, but it's just about as good at holding 4 occupants, and has more cargo room)
    Malibu Eco: $25,335.

Because the FE isn't all that impressive. The EPA ratings of the Malibu Eco are 25/29/37 vs the new Accord which is 27/30/36. Or you buy a real hybrid and get closer to 40 overall.

Maybe FE is part of the reason why the Malibu isn't selling so well. Looking at the EPA estimates, a 2.5 powered Malibu's FE ratings are 22/26/34.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Here's a classic case where OnStar would've been a big help. I don't have it on my Cobalt (I'm too cheap),

too cheap... nah... On-Star's too expensive, or you'd be an adopter.

It just costs too much, and is TOO lame, for your to buy it.

Even cheap people buy things they think are worth it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I can't speak for other areas around the country, but in the Southeast, its very, VERY common to hear of multiple auto accidents weekly in which those that died were not wearing seat belts.

So, it seems logical to me that if a occupant isn't willing to use a basic safety device for bodily protection that has been standard equipment in every single vehicle for decades, then the occupant probably isn't going to pay anything extra to get the benefits of OnStar or any other competitive product.