Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Looking at both the Taurus and Sable. Best research indicates a $1500 rebate, $500 Bonus cash and $2000 owner loyalty cash if you own a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln. Also, the metro ATL area now has lots of off-rental 2008 Taurus being advertised in the high-teens, very low-twenty's. Seems like a lot of car for the money, was ready to pull the trigger on a Mazda 6 but the Taurus offers much more room, power and refinement for about the same $$$.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Rental abuse is the only thing in question. When my folks could get a brand-new Taurus, similarly optioned to an off-rental 20k mile Taurus, for only $3,000 more, they took the new one in a heartbeat.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Dale Jarrett Ford near Charlottre NC is advertising the 2008 Taurus at $7000 off MSRP on their web page. Just Google Dale Jarrett Ford and click on specials.
    There is fine print hocus pocus that would take some of that away. (Military, College, etc rebates.)
    As far as the Ford to dealer cash, it may be date, regional or specific dealer related. I suspect the above $7000 off contains some Ford to dealer cash.
  • abaltabalt Member Posts: 4
    ...with 22,700 miles and moon roof for $17,600 + ttl.

Sweet Ride!
  • csoriacsoria Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Iam having a problem with the fuel pump. A family mechanic replaced the Constant Control relay module after he checked the inertia switch in the trunk campartment. After installing the new (CCRM) he said the problem might be with the fuel pump and said he would check on a new one. Iam a hvac mechanic and decided to do some checking of my own and determined that the fuel pump is good by running a hot wire from the + post to the wire out of the inertia switch leading to fuel pump and the pump works fine. I did a (contanuity check on wiring from disconnected harnes at CCRM and dedermined a complete circuit from CCRM thru inertia switch back to the harnes) on floor board by driver side door. the other side of this harnes leads to the fuel pump. Iam getting voltage thru circuit but the fuel pump will not energize.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Hi, csoria.. This forum is to discuss Taurus pricing.. It looks like you found a discussion related to your fuel pump problem. You'll probably have better luck getting an answer there.

If that doesn't work, you might try, Got a Quick, Technical Question?

Good luck!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kam327kam327 Member Posts: 115
    Just bought the subject car last night in order to get the $1,500 incentive plus additional $2,000 bonus cash for cars invoiced prior to May 1 2008, both of which expired yesterday. But this morning I see they combined the two into one $3,500 incentive which runs to early November. At least my dealer gave me $500 below invoice so in total I got around $5,750 off sticker. MSRP was $26,970 and I got it for $21,200.

On the ride home the car was extremely quiet and soft over bumps, but handling is not as crisp as my Tribute or my old '99 Contour. I guess that's to be expected.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds somewhat similar to the deal my folks received. $6,000 off of sticker (there was $2,000 Customer cash and $2,000 Dealer incentive cash) back at the end of May. They have an SEL with convenience package, leather, and Sync. I believe they paid $22,000 out the door (Tax, Fees included).
  • crustysargecrustysarge Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 08 Merlot SEL Taurus with Sync (the only option) for $15,800 from military car sales. That is no TT&L as I am overseas. I actually paid $17,490 with shipping to Germany and their handling fees and stupid Ziebart ($469) plan because they stick it on before leaving from the States and you have no choice. The offered me the 7/75K protection plan for $850 but I declined.

I feel it's not a bad deal at all. They had two 08 models and I almost bought both, the other is silver.
  • kris27kris27 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at an 08 SEL with ESC (pre-owned with 2,300 miles) offered at 19K in NY metro area..
    It doesn't seem as if anyone is buying this car, though I think it's a damn good one for the money. Any comments on this offer will be appreciated.
    What other options does this car have? With ESC it must have the safety package. Does it have the convenience pkg or leather? I think you can buy a new 08 SEL for 19K if it does not have many options.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Geez, no posts in over 2 months??!! When I checked around northern NJ, most dealers are either out-of-stock or have 1 '09 Taurus on hand! Is the '09 already out of production? I was hoping to get a great deal on an '09 since the '10 has been unveiled and is supposed to be on sale in June.
    Anyone buy an '09 recently? I've been waiting for the '10s to come out. Now that the '10s are in production, I'm hoping Ford offers a nice hefty rebate/finance rate in July for any remaining '09s. I'm hoping to buy one around $21K
    There are some new 09's on Ebay for around that price. I saw a SEL with leather, and a Sable Premier in that price range. There are still some new 08's out there also.
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealerships/locate/index.asp
    Let's see,,,,sticker is $29,500.....is $22,500 before TTL a rasonable offer inc. the $3K rebate? Any salesman, feedback is welcomed.
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Any news on 2010's coming up for sale and what incentives are on offer. Hopefully Ford will realise that they cannot sell a Taurus at above $30k
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Just picked up a "new" 2008 Taurus AWD Limited with most of the bells and whistles (it was pre-Sync but has navi). It has 1400 miles on it but was never titled and sold as new. Probably a demo or loaner car.

I needed a sedan to replace my RX-8 which was getting impractical with 2 car seats and a manual in ATL traffic. Funny how priorities change.

I wanted a domestic sedan to support the homegrown industry. It came down to this and a V-6 G8 (I know, the V-8 is awesome but too much $$$ when equipped how I wanted). Needless to say, Gwinnett Place Ford wanted the '08 gone and I got what I feel is a super deal. Treated very well and they were patient with my endless questions and penny pinching.

I recommend Frank in the internet department if you're looking for a Ford in the ATL.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    http://fordnr.rizzacars.com/vehicleDisplay.php?carID=81481&AID=10546635&PID=3193- - 616

Who'll be sucker number 1?

I'm no psychic, but I see heavy rebates soon, and incredible depreciation.

But at least you can pay even more and get Sync (if you're a glutton for punishment):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja65oINs1gs
    Hope the people at Ford are reading this forum, get the car priced right and it will be a winner. Overprice and rapid depreciation will follow and reputation down the pan.
    The model listed does have the option package which includes Sync. However this car is priced too high. See my post here:
    ronsmith38, "Article Comments - 2010 Ford Taurus First Drive and Full Test" #11, 20 Jul 2009 8:54 pm
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    2010 Taurus is yet to arrive in many Atlanta area dealerships (based on a drive through of 4 large dealers yesterday), but already Ford is offering a $1000 rebate on 2010 SEL models. It's Ford program 11708 and is listed on the FordDirect.com website. I know Ford is hoping for a strong launch to this car but putting an incentive on a new model before they hit the lots seems to demonstrate that they believe they've overpriced the car from day one. Imagine if Lee Iacocca had thought to patent his idea of the "rebate" back in the K-car days. If he got a dollar per car sold with a rebate, he'd have added millions to his retirement nest egg!
    Ford should have tried to set the price range for the Taurus (in this economy) in the 23k to 28k MSRP range.

As it is, the Taurus is an oddity, not really competing against very many cars directly, being very heavy and large outside, but less large in terms of interior space, and being Front Wheel Drive.

Because the interior space is close to that of an Accord, Camry or Mazda 6, these are just some of the 17k to 22k cars it will cross-shopped against.

With a MSRP of 26k to 35k for the regular Taurus, and 37k to 45k for the SHO version, I think Ford Dealers are going to really see a lot of people experience Sticker Shock Syndrome, where potential buyers may not even think it's worthwhile talking to a saleman.

Besides, the Fusion is nearly as large inside as the Taurus.

Ford's strategy with both the pricing and the type of styling and sizing of the Taurus is very odd.
  • madlockmadlock Member Posts: 42
    Some dealers are really thinking the new Taurus is the panacea they've been waiting for to take them to the promised land, and many are behaving accordingly now that a few units have trickled into the marketplace and those that have them are playing automotive "nanny nanny boo boo".

I've driven six of the eight 2010 vehicles based on the same platform, the Taurus, Flex, and MKS with each engine offered. Of them, the Flex is by far the most impressive. Even with the SHO Performance Package, the EcoBoost Flex seemed to rocket from the line and accelerate with greater power and ease than either of the sedans.

I qualify for X-Plan a dozen ways, and the dealers hoping to command sticker for a Taurus started making immediate excuses why the couldn't sell the units on-hand for X-Plan. One tried to claim the SHO is a "Limited Production" vehicle, and therefore is exempt. They had no answer when I responded that they're only "limited" to the number customers are willing to order. Another claimed it would only honor X-Plan for non-SHO Tauruses. The solution was very simple. I went to a dealer that had none, and they were more than pleased to have won the business, selling a vehicle that they don't even have to take into inventory.
  • cruisin66cruisin66 Member Posts: 12
    That youtube video is hilarioius....but really, who is going to Tuscaloosa, Alabama???
  • cruisin66cruisin66 Member Posts: 12
    This goes beyond the Ford Taurus, but anyone who owns a Ford should enroll in the Ford Owners (http://www.fordowner.com) website. Its everything online, and allows you to keep track of your cars’ complete maintenance records, calendar/mileage of recommended maintenance, and tons of coupons to use when you have your car checked at a Ford dealer.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I agree. They get one chance to price a car appropriately and I don't see it yet for the Ford Taurus Ltd. Overprice it and the discounts rise and value falls. I see it as overpriced.

The dealer that I visited immediately gave me the old song that these are special and won't be discounted. I haven't seen a Ford in years that is special and held its value.

Compare it to the Toyota Avalon Ltd which one can buy for 33-35K fully loaded and get great mileage, roominess and reliability to boot.

That Sync you tube illustrates that it is an exercise in frustration.
    Don't forget that the "all new" 2010 Ford Taurus is about 70% carryover from the 2009 Ford Taurus.

They changed the sheet metal and interior, and they modified the suspension.

Other than that, it's the same chassis (D9), same motor, same basic suspension, etc.

Check out the rapid and incredible depreciation on this gen Ford Taurus. You can get a two year old one for about 13k with under 35k miles.

Anyone who pays remotely close to 30k for a 2010 Taurus is likely to regret it more deeply than most new car buyers.

It should be priced from 24k to 28k, max.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    We are getting our 2010 Taurus Sel AWD for $200 over invoice and 0% financing. This car is a good deal even at msrp, just avoid all the extra technological crap. And avoid the 255/45/19 tires which thump over bumps and add some road noise. More is not always better. In cinnamon metallic, it looks elegant and the darker color trims its big body. We don't care about depreciation since I kept my last car for 8.5 years.
    The Avalon is a very good car, but it is as frumpy looking as the previous Taurus, and Toyota's colors are really boring. And no AWD.
    I saw a 2010 yesterday in my local dealer in Estero, Lee County, Florida. They have one Limited and have two slots for new cars but it would be a December delivery. Is that not crazy!! At sticker of $34k that was even more crazy.
    I thought the interior was cheap with some hard plastics and poor fit and finish. I have been a Ford driver for many years and in their UK Mondeo did 50-60k miles a year. I am not sure I would want to live in this car doing that sort of mileage. The trunk was huge and the rear seats comfortable but I would prefer the headrests in front of me to be not so tall. Get it down below $30k and I might consider one where as now I may buy the Hyudai Genesis.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Why did you pay over invoice?
    So What would you pay for yours? Are you suggesting ours is not a good deal? Get real. We got the Costco price minus $500 early order rebate, and 0% saves a lot.
    And most importantly, we got what we exactly what we want.
    dturr, agreed on the interior.

I can't believe some reviewers are giving such high praise to the Taurus, as I found the interior really tacky and cheap in a lot of ways. The dash is way too big and the gauges way too garish, and the plastic faux chrome is cheesy.

At least some reviewers like Healy in USA Today is calling a spade a spade and giving a muted review of the Taurus, basically saying it's okay, but expensive for what you get.

I find the fit and finish to be much better on mid-sized cars, mainly imports, costing 6k to 9k less than the Taurus.

On top of everything else, the Taurus with 19" wheels rides horribly, and dealers have cars that are basically 32k and up. Ford dealers are notorious for high pressure tactics trying to upsell, too.

I'd rather buy the last gen, if I were to buy one: Same motor, chassis and more interior room, for about 12k to 13k with 30,000 miles on it.
    Paying over invoice for a 2010 Tuarus is not something to be proud of. What matters is that you are satisfied.
    I guess you don't know the difference between invoice and msrp. Expecting to pay below invoice on a vehicle just out is an unrealistic expectation.
    Is this your first new car purchase?
    Paying below invoice on a new car such as a 2010 Taurus is very realistic. As I stated earlier the price you piad is moot because it is what you purchased that matters.
    Ok, if you say so. Go to a dealer and offer them a price below invoice with 0% financing and see how far you get. And i have bought many cars and in my early years sometimes paid too much. But not this time. Some people just have to stick to their opinion even when they know they are wrong.
    Edmunds on this site show the 2010 Taurus TMV (what others are paying) at just about 2% under MSRP, or about $2000 over invoice!
    "Go to a dealer and offer them a price"

This could be the problem...Not a good idea to "offer" a dealer a price....let the dealer make first offer.

Enjoy your car.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I like the way the Honda forum does this section. Here is an example: Accord DX all weather mats and alloy wheels. $19549.00 OTD Our tax rate is 6.5% in OH. Now that is info we can use. We really don't care about debating about under or over invoice. I was getting ready to leave for the dealer back in 08 and someone posted the example above and I saved a addition $600.00 from a deal that I worked weeks on. Just a thought.
    Consumer Reports came out and gave a less than stellar review of the "new" Taurus in this month's magazine.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Consumer Reports lost credibility with me long ago when they recommended the Nash Rambler. :P
    Maybe less than stellar, but still recommended.
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    Anyone who pays $$ over invoice is getting a bad deal and not doing their homework. Dealers allot of $$ selling at invoice for there is something called 'holdback' that dealers get on every car that provides at least 600.00 per Taurus and they also get volume discounts, end of the quarter money from Ford ect. A Taurus will loose allot re: resale value vs, other foreign car makers in this class.. even though ' foreign cars' are made in the US. An Accord vs a Taurus re: resale value? No contest, hence take that into account when buying. You can get the invoice price including hold back if you purchase a 'new car' subscription from Consumer Reports, I believe they are approx. 3 months in length and about 40.00.. well worth the money to be informed
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    didn't CR recommend Camry's until recently?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • brspottsbrspotts Member Posts: 6
    Currently trying to negotiate a price of a Taurus... In Texas it appears that there are not a lot of Ford Taurus's in stock. On average, 2 per dealership. Looks like I need to special order one... Let's see with what I can work out. Supposedly it is a slow month for dealers and end of quarter....
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I ordered a Taurus on March 6th. Salesman called today and said I had a 5 to 10% chance of getting a 2010. Ford is done taking orders for the 2010 models. One of his secretaries decided to order a Taurus yesterday and hers will have to be a 2011.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a major newspaper is looking for a new car buyer who purchased a Ford because it did not take government money. If you just purchased a new Ford, please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you purchased to [email protected] by April 26.
  • blueyfishblueyfish Member Posts: 36
    Hi Host,
    Can you answer the questions from me on #103? Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    I moved your post here: Ford Taurus Lease Questions

Car_man has that information, and will see it, there.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator