Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Corolla Electrical Problems

2»

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Obviously an installation gone bad ! The shop that tried to install this remote start should be held accountable. It's obviously their fault regardless of their past record, you didn't have this problem before you took it to them. Perhaps they used a roookie installer and he shorted something out. If you don't hold them accountable and have to have the Toyota techs. repair it, it sounds like your gonna be in for a very expensive repair as most electrical problems are. Toyota will not allow themselves to be held accountable, and shouldn't be, for this shops irresponsibility. Follow all the appropriate avenues to rectify this problem with them, if no solution, challenge them in small claims court.
  • corolla_drivcorolla_driv Member Posts: 1
    Both of my low-beam headlights were off. I had heard two sounds within one minute before I found the lights were off. The sounds were similar to a microwave when food is cooked. After examination, the fuses are good, but no voltage between the sockets of the fuses. So I guess it is an electric problem. Any experience? Thanks a lot.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Have you checked the fuses with a meter? Sometimes a fuse will look OK, but has blown.
  • 01corolla01corolla Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 corolla thats having some headlight problems. WIth a couple of days of eachother, both of my headlights burnt out. I was surprised, but replaced both bulbs. Only one (the left) headlight came back on. I then checked the fuses, both the right and left headlight fuses were fine, but I replaced them anyway, just to see if it would held. No such luck. Thinking now that it might be a relay related problem or a loose circuit, but not sure. Any ideas?
    My first thought would be that it's just a mere coincidence that they both burned out at the same time. If both are new now, just wait and see what happens.
  • bongettibongetti Member Posts: 1
    while driving seems like the power locks have mind of their own. they lock and unlock...pls help. :(
    Gotta be a short somewhere. Good luck finding that!
  • cintcint Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla
    I have a problem that sometimes I get in the car, turn the ignition, the ignition lights are on, power going through circuits But wont turn over. Mainly does it when its warm, leave for 15 minutes then it will start.
    Does anyone know how to fix this problem??
  • vtcyclevtcycle Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 Corrolla w 150K miles. Brakes/rotors replaced 2 days ago. All fluids are good. 1/4 tank of gas. Young driver was coming home from soccer practice with radio & air conditioning on and the thing dies, all idiot lights on. He shuts it off after muscling it to the side of the road.
    He waited one minute and started it up, drove home 5 miles.
    If I had a job I would buy a new car.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    michel
  • susan83susan83 Member Posts: 1
    I'll be following your story...mine too. Scarey. July 3rd, driving my teenagers' 1996 Corolla, 150 K miles, near midnight up a steep mtn highway, went to turn on brights due to possible deer traffic and car entirely shuts off. No lights in or out (it was a moonless night), no power steering, no brakes. I began to roll backwards down the highway and was able to slow to a stop in a ditch (no shoulder) just off my right side lane when cars began passing at 50 mph. Whew. I'm scared to ever drive it again as the mechanics are saying they "cant' find anything wrong with it." Or that I need to drive it to "catch it misbahving" in order to diagnose it. I don't wish to drive it again, nor would I want my teenagers in it.

Odd that for a few days the Power Locks had been acting funny--sometimes locking all 4 doors, sometimes only 1, sometimes 2, etc. Obviously electrical but not obvious fix. IF anyone can speak to this or to vtcycle's please do. :confuse:
  • longbow713longbow713 Member Posts: 6
    I installed new battery few months ago. Since then, the auto start (dealer installed when car was new) will not work. Dealer says costs 100$ minimum to reset the remote start on key chain. They did quick check and said it is problem in dash and cost depends on how bad.
    Any thoughts on how I can try to reset the auto start? I have hard time believing this is problem in dash.
    Thanks
  • rhoeltrhoelt Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Corolla does the same thing. Any ideas as to the cause or how to troubleshoot?

TIA

RT
    I can't help you with the reset, but yea, I gota agree with you there's no dash problem; just another reason why you can't trust a dealer.
  • breth21breth21 Member Posts: 1
    96000 miles, daughter drove it to a friends and then the car wont start, no turn over or anything, all other electical works fine. New battery. Next morning, car starts fine, drive home, park and the car wont start. Any ideas
  • sai_questionssai_questions Member Posts: 1
    Coincidentally I have the exact same issue - but mine is different in some respects.

Did not drive for 3 weeks. Dome light might have been on. The battery was drained completely. Jump-start worked twice. The first time I drove around 100 miles - still it would start with a lot of difficulty.

The second time I drove 7 miles(20 mins) and turned it off in the shopping lot of a parking lot. Came back and tried to start - the dashboard lights came on, but the car won't start. My friend tried the ignition too many times and the dash lights dimmed too. Tried jump-start: got a few strong sparks when the negative terminal was being connected to metal part on the engine. The headlights shone bright but the car won't start. Dash lights did not turn on. Next time I tried to jump-start no lights go on - neither the ones on dashboard nor the headlights. It's been dead since then. Another thing to add - the brake became really hard after this jump-start attempt.

I suspected the battery was absolutely bad and replaced it. But it still is completely dead after connecting the new battery too. No clicking sound, no lights. Could you point me in the right direction? do you think it would be an electrical/fuse problem? Or do you guys reckon there might be something else wrong?
  • joecorolla99joecorolla99 Member Posts: 4
    Folks,

If the car will not start and the battery checks good, more than likely it's the starter.
    Sometimes you might get one "click" but no start. Then it might start on the next try.
    I've heard it called the "corolla click". Over time the contacts wear out in these starters and you can have the starter replaced or get a replacement contact set. Starter replacement is the more costly option. The contact replacement is less expensive, but in both cases the starter has to be removed.

Cheers,

Joe.
  • markgmmarkgm Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm just starting to look at this on my car. The first thing I noticed was that the power windows wouldn't go after I started the car. I thought maybe a wiring problem somewhere, since the front passenger door sometimes doesn't work.

Next, I have to get going. The gear shift won't get out of park.

Next I look at what is not right electrically. The fan motor won't go (dash) and the wiper motor won't go.

There is in the main fusebox one socket for a 50A fuse called "FL ABS" next to one called "FL ALT" (100A) that is missing, or maybe it originated that way.

The horn works. The headlights work. The blinkers do not work. I think I'm o=unable to move with the gear-shift issue!

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks, Mark
    Fixed... The gear shifter was in park, but electrically not all the way in park (in the front, near the radiator).
  • gebasegebase Member Posts: 1
    engine shuts off while i am driving, after it can not start again until i touch almost every thnig without knowing what am doing. I suspect there iz loose cable, what that could it be ? Please help
  • taz_sataz_sa Member Posts: 1
    Three months ago, battery died and had it replace. Short time after, power lock on drives side door stopped working. 2 months later, power lock on drives side stopped working. 1 month later, rear door on passenger side when out. Now fan blower is acting up. It works sometimes. When it does work, speed fluctuates on its own; stops, then starts again. It still cools but the fan has a mind of its own; works when it wants. I was thinking an electrical short but have no clue at this point. I will need professional help, however, trying to get an idea... because I don't want to get railroaded. Help!
  • hopeful13hopeful13 Member Posts: 1
    2010 corolla, 72K miles. Installed HID lights, and removed them cause system couldnt handle. Have added prestige remote start/security system.(they insist it draws very little juice) Removed trunk light.

Symptom: When rolling down express power window gets to bottom, slight shudder from the engine when window motor coming to a stop (draws a bit more current before it stops) or when the battery was low at one point..., stepping on brakes causes a shudder (shudders are when waiting at red traffic lights durng idle)
    My battery dosent hold up for two weeks during Sandy superstorm when car was not used. I installed dash mounted solar panel to trickle charge battery every day (150mils- very little but to compensate) I think something is draining the battery.

Suggestions for most likely culprits?? The solar cell was a quick fix (connected direct to battery)
    Installation of the HID lights ccaused some wire heating just under the steering wheel so I uninstalled them, but electrical drains are usually shorts, not past heated wires.

Or maybe the alternator isnt bad but going? Rolling down power auto express window shouldnt
    have any affect on idle or make even a slight shudder when at light....

I did remove the trunk light, but wondering if there are any other culprits? The security system
    does keep a security code on all the time, but I popped the led.

mecker@peoplepc.com
  • jsheffeyjsheffey Member Posts: 1
    Intermittently, when I start my 2007 Toyota Corolla the radio and clock do not work. When I get 10-15 miles down the road power returns to the radio and clock.
  • seattlehikerseattlehiker Member Posts: 4
    When I turn my car (1994 Toyota Corolla) off the front side light and the tail light stay on.

I have to disconnect the battery to get them to go off. What part could short out or get stuck in the on position? I don't think it has anything to do with the light switch itself.
    Why would you automatically rule out the switch stalk ? That would be the first thing that comes into my mind.
    You may be right. That may be the issue. I thought (but am probably
    mistaken) that my lights normally would turn off automatically after a
    period of time if I forgot and left them off.

I can't remember if that is the case however.
    I'm taking the car in Monday to have it looked at. It seems odd that none of the fuses, when pulled out, will make the lights go out.

I'm tested the ones for the headlamps and when pulled they make those go out. There are some fuses labeled "fog" and "tail light" and when pulled they don't make the lights in the front side go out and tail light doesn't make the light in the back go out?
  • jcgrant78jcgrant78 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone figure this out? This is happening right now with our 1994 Corolla Wagon.....have to take the battery cable off to shut lights off. Mechanic already ruled out the steering wheel light switch.....says it might be something fused together in the fuse box.
  • arkiarki Member Posts: 1
    08 Corolla S.

I noticed my dashboard lights, tail lights, license plate lights and the side headlights were not coming on when I drove at night. I tried a couple if things like checking the fuse box and changing out the multifunctional switch out and the problem still persists. I'm totally clueless where to look next. If you can give me a step by step procedure on how to tackle this problem that would be amazing-- maybe even a video?

Thanks!
  • darb109darb109 Member Posts: 1

I just replaced the starter and the battery on my 2003 Toyota Corolla. When I attempted to start it, there was a pop, then it lost all electrical power. I have checked every fuse, and they are all good. Is there an in-line fuse somewhere going to the power distribution box?