Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joednajoedna Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe with 22,600 miles on it and I am about to take my car in again for the rear brakes...they were replaced at 11,000 plus and it looks as if they will have to be replaced again. The wear signal from the rear brakes are making the loud squealing noise when I drive. I Heard that Honda is going to take care of the problem with the brakes and I hope they work with me. I am not a "hard driver" and I can't believe that this will be my 2nd set of brakes within 22,000 miles!!!
  • carroll74carroll74 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear about two sets of brakes. I guess mine aren't that bad yet, actually sitting here waiting for the rotors (all 4) to be turned on my 2009 Accord with less than 12000 miles. This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Would recommend opening complaint with BBB. I have just submitted one as well. I am disgusted that I pay for a car and don't even feel safe having my wife/children ride in it.
  • carroll74carroll74 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to hear about two sets of brakes. I guess mine aren't that bad yet, actually sitting here at the dealership waiting for the rotors (all 4) to be turned on my 2009 Accord with less than 12000 miles. This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Would recommend opening complaint with BBB. I have just submitted one as well. I am disgusted that I pay for a car and don't even feel safe having my wife/children ride in it.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    Just chiming in on the brake topic. Today I got the front rotors turned at not quite 14K miles to fix the shaking (more like 'quaking') when hitting the brakes moderately hard at high speeds. To their credit the dealer did this under warranty.

Of course I also have had a bit of steering wheel shimmy since day one at various highway speeds (three road force balances minimized it). Add this to the stupid wiper design that pulls water back onto the left side of the windshield in heavy rain, the annoyingly low front 'chin', and the wimpy headlight low beams (fixed by putting in Phillips Extreme bulbs - DOT legal BTW). It remains to be seen what I will buy for the next car in two or three more years.
    ------------------
    2008 Accord EXL-V6 Navi
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    Have they checked the rotors to see if they aren't off balance? By that I mean when the rotor was cast and machined it may have more material on one side than the other, say in the cooling vanes. I installed some cheap rotors from Oreilly's once on a car I was going to sell and it vibrated right away after I installed them. Took them back and compared them to another new pair, same brand and model, and you could see the vanes were thicker on the first ones. Perhaps Hondas OEM supplier might be the culprit. Everyone seems to be trying to cut costs in their manufacturing process to maximize their profit margin. Rotors shouldn't warp after so few miles unless they were really abused. I've been lucky so far, 23K and no vibrations and the back brakes still have over 60% left. :surprise:
    As for rotor balancing - this was a Honda dealer where the service writer claims to have never heard of balancing a rotor, and says they normally don't need to road force balance Honda's (the road force balancer is in their GM service dept) - and of course they don't have issues with vibration (damn, I got another lemon, like the three rain water leaking vehicles I have owned). But as has been discussed here (and you pointed out), a shimmy / shake can be caused by any rotating mass - rotors, drive shafts, etc, not just wheels.

If this trouble ever truly gets under my skin, it will either be trade in time, or I will get with a local shop who actually has an interest in challenging themselves (while collecting good money) to figure it out. Finding someone who will methodically work through what needs done is the trouble. All the dealers are focused on the repair manual times, and always seem to say 'normal road noise and vibration' after balancing the wheels. It doesn't help that you have a 'service writer' to convert customerese into technicianese - nothing like the usual 'lost in translation'.

I have not had a chance to compare the before and after yet, due to weather and adding a load for the return trip. I think there is still some brake pulsation, but I need to take more time with it. It sits in the garage during the week while I drive a company van.

On all my other cars in the past (eleven other new cars since 1988) I have not had to have any rotors turned, except in conjunction with brake pad replacement. Though the 1990 Dodge Spirit ES used up front pads every 25K. My 1993 Accord EX (5sp) had OE tires and brakes at over 50k when I traded it (still lots left).
    -----------------------
    The best warranty is one that is not needed.
  • boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    My 09 Accord doesn't seem to blow Hot air out when Temp level sets to Maxium hot. But the 02 Civic and 06 CRV I have they all blow hot air when setting is Max?
    I don't know if it's the way the 8th gen Accord is or my heater has a problem?
    Can you share your feeling, it's hot or just warm?
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "my remotes won't unlock the doors until about the third or more press".

When I was getting an oil change at the dealer I told the service manager about my remote issue's and she took the remote and pushed the unlock button and looked for a little red light on the remote to light up. Well it would like up only every 3 or 4 pushes. She said it needed a new battery. I told her that the car is only 16 months old and this was the spare key. She said that she has been replacing a ton of these batteries lately so they replaced both remote batteries under warranty. I wished they would of taken responsibility to fix my rear brakes under warranty :sick:
    ""Next time I will look at an american car. ""
    to which you replied
    "Good luck to you and God bless"

I did what Andy suggested and bought an american car. I had alot of luck with Honda's over the years but think that all changed around 2008. This reminds me of the 80s when GM was building junk and you had the hard core GM lovers trying to justify chevettes, the 8/6/4 engine (kind of like the VCM) and the great diesel conversion engine. It was just bad engineering and cheap materials and poor workmanship. I would take you 94 Accord any day but you can keep the new one.
  • stopthenoisestopthenoise Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem with the key not working until the third push. The dealership said it was not the battery, but there is grease inside that is acting like water inside the key housing and shorting it out. They cleaned out the grease. Time will tell if that is the fix.
    Big spenders they were! :surprise: Those batteries are real expensive these days. So are your remotes working ok now? How long since they changed them? All they did for me was turn the batteries a 1/2 turn to make a better contact they said. They told me that is what Honda has told them to do until they have a "fix". It seemed to work for a few days.
    How long ago did they do that for you? I wonder how soon they will have a TSB for this issue?
    They started working on the first push every time for about 3 weeks then I traded the car in because I gave up on Honda. So its hard to say if it is a long term fix but the weird thing is that it was my wife's car and she used her remote everyday my remote was in a drawer in the house and I rarely drove that car so when her remote started acting up I gave her the spare and it did not work any better. I told the service rep that because I thought that there was no way the spare remotes battery was dead only being used a couple dozen times but she put new batteries in them in they worked perfect.
    Sounds like I will give some new batteries a try. Thanks for the reply!
  • andy109andy109 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with both remotes. The dealer service rep opened tee cases and wiped the battery and the terminals in the case with a cloth. Both remotes still working fine for the last few months
  • gwh9gwh9 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer was right. I had same thing happen to my 2008 Accord and couldn't believe they wore out so fast. I did the job myself for $50 using ceramic pads from advance auto. The dealer tried to charge me $17 to tell me I needed the brakes but I told him he wouldn't see me in the shop again if I had pay that fee for something that shouldn’t be wore out in the first place.
  • medic78medic78 Member Posts: 11
    When spraying windshield wiper fluid to clean the windows, I can smell it while inside the car with the windows closed. Is this normal? I've never noticed this from other car manufactures. I have 2008 accord coupe
    I can't say specifically about the coupe (I have the 08 four door), but I have had that happen on a couple vehicles. Normally it is when the car is stationary, with the HVAC system fan on and Not on recirculate. The air intake for the HVAC system is in the area between the hood and the base of the windshield, so anything that is atomized (such as the washer fluid) in that area can be pulled into the cabin. Just like I had a Subaru that any little bit of clutch stink would get sucked in, or when you are behind a car with your windows closed and start smelling that drivers cigarette, or the oil burning stench from the car in front.

It's also possible that you have started using a winter version of the washer fluid that has methyl alcohol added (to prevent freezing), which gives it that distinctive smell.

As long as there are no rainwater leaks into the cabin, I would say it is normal.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I don't think that I've ever had a car where I couldn't smell it. As jmiller x 2 said, the vents are right below the windshield... smells get in.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yep - more noticeable in my '96 Accord than my '06 Accord, but noticeable nonetheless.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Yep, again. I tried a different brand of windshield fluid, and the smell was terrible. Went back to what I was using before. The new stuff was supposed to clean bugs better, but I couldn't take the smell of it.
  • jim_man888jim_man888 Member Posts: 2
    I had my 2008 Accord rear brakes replaced @ 28K miles for $280, including resurface rotor. It is premature worn and uneven. Two pads wear to 2-3 mm, but the other two have 6-7 mm left. There is a web site that have 630 complaints about 2008 Accord rear brakes (2009 Accord have a lot too):
    http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/brakes/premature_brake_wear.shtml-
    There are no other make/model/year that have close to that many complaints. Go to the site if you have not done so.
    There is a class action law suit pending:
    http://www.girardgibbs.com/
    Search the site for 2008 Honda Accord.
    Keep your recept, I expect Honda will fix the problem if enough voices are heard.
    Honda has come up with a fix for the 8th generation Accord brake pads. I heard this from a Honda tech. (on another forum) Something about springs on the pad backing, to pull the pads away from the rotor. Check with your local dealership.

The new part number for the rear pad set is 43022-TA0-A51, which replaces the original pad set 43022-TA0-A00.
  • jim_man888jim_man888 Member Posts: 2
    I checked my receipt. It does show part # H43022-TA0-A51.
    I checked my receipt. It does show part # H43022-TA0-A51.

So the dealership didn't tell you about the pads being changed/different? :confuse: Doesn't sound like an honest dealership, to me. :( I guess, as long as the new pads are an improvement, it's not a big deal.
  • chiralpaulchiralpaul Member Posts: 9
    At 17,000 miles my '08 Accord V6 developed a "chirp" in the vicinity of the main drive belt. It turned out to be the timing belt and there is a Service Bulletin on the problem. They are replacing the timing belt and water pump under warranty. So, watch out for "chirps"...fairly subtle.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I have a 2008 Honda Accord LX automatic and have over 50K miles on it. Sometimes when its parked for a long period of time (overnight, etc.) and then I start the car, there is a click/tap sound. Sometimes the sounds occurs and sometimes it doesn't. There have been a couple times where the sound has been harsh, like a really hard click/tap. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what could be the problem, if there is any. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • joednajoedna Member Posts: 5
    Same here, I have an LX Coupe (2008) and have experienced the same noise...always after my car has been setting overnight, get into the car and try to start, a hard, sometimes crashing sound, like I broke some gears or something, my wife has heard it and was startled! I am just wondering if it has to do with leaving the air conditioner in the "on" position...noticed that air was on the last time I experienced the sound. Any one else?
  • musicislifemusicislife Member Posts: 16
    I've been following all of the discussions about the rear brake pads wearing out quickly but I haven't seen anyone say anything about the size of the rear brakes. Have you looked at your rear brakes? Have you compared them to the front ones? It looks like the rear brakes should be on a Civic, not an Accord. They're so small it's no wonder the pads are wearing out quickly.
    To me, it's like the designers and the engineers weren't on the same page. The engineers decided that the Accord's rear brakes were going to do more of the braking than the front, which is not typical. But the designers kept the old school of thought and made the front brakes the large beefy ones and the rear brakes small. They should have either reversed it or made the rear brakes the same size as the front.
    And I think that the rotors are too thin for a car this heavy. The rotors on my '96 Camry feel about twice as thick as the Accords. My wife's '98 Saturn had thin rotors like the Accord's and she was constantly having warping problems.
    I've got 20k on my 2008 Accord right now and I'll probably have to change the rear pads at the next tire rotation. There's still plenty of pad on the front. Oh, and my right rear rotor is warped slightly.
    I agree. Since EBD uses more rear brake, the rear disk should be vented (like the front disks), and be larger. This will cost Honda to redesign the rear callipers, but it could save them a few lost customers. Honda has come up with a new rear pad (with spring clips attached, to pull the pads away from the disk). Has anyone had these new pads installed on their car?
    I don't have personal experience with the four cyl, but I have seen this post, that talks about a TSB regarding a possibly bad VTC actuator:
    TSB

Copied here:
    April 11, 2009
    09-010
    Applies To: See VEHICLES AFFECTED
    Engine Rattles at Cold Start-Up
    (Supersedes 09-010, dated February 11, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars)
    REVISION SUMMARY
    Under WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION, the
    Symptom Code has changed.
    SYMPTOM
    At cold start-up, the engine rattles loudly for about
    2 seconds.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    The VTC (variable timing control) actuator is faulty.
    VEHICLES AFFECTED
    2008 Accord L4 2/4-Door – ALL
    2009 Accord L4 2-Door –
    From VIN 1HGCS1...9A000001 thru
    1HGCS1...9A004953
    2009 Accord L4 4-Door –
    From VIN 1HGCP2...9A000001 thru
    1HGCP2...9A029528
    From VIN JHMCP2...9C000001 thru
    JHMCP2...9C010096
    CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace the VTC actuator.
    PARTS INFORMATION
    VTC Actuator: P/N 14310-R44-A01, H/C 8665374
    VTC Oil Control Solenoid Valve O-Ring:
    P/N 15832-RAA-A01, H/C 7131873
    Chain Case O-Ring:
    P/N 91302-PNA-004, H/C 6753560
    REQUIRED MATERIALS
    Hondabond HT Liquid Silicone Gasket
    P/N 08718-0004, H/C 8263386
    (One tube repairs two vehicles.)
    WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
    In warranty: The normal warranty applies.
    Operation Number: 110153
    Flat Rate Time: 4.0 hours
    Failed Part: P/N 14310-R44-A01
    H/C 8665374
    Defect Code: 03214
    Symptom Code: 04201
    Template ID: 09-010A
    Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
    expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
    the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
    Office. You must request consideration, and get a
    decision, before starting work.
    DIAGNOSIS
    NOTE: If you’re reading this service bulletin on ISIS
    and your computer has sound, click on the picture to
    hear an example of the engine rattle.
    1. Allow the oil to drain from the VTC system by not
    starting the engine for at least 6 hours.
    2. Start the cold engine, and immediately listen for a
    loud rattle:
    Do you hear a loud rattle that lasts about
    2 seconds?
    Yes - Go to REPAIR
  • ballyhooballyhoo Member Posts: 7
    I just bought my 2009 Honda Accord 3 days ago. After a horrible experience in purchasing this car (cash buyer, walked out on 2 dealers, lies about credit apps, tried to strong-arm into signing finance app, etc., etc.) my power mirrors worked once and now no longer. Yeah. From Land Rover to this. I've had enough with the automobile industry.

:lemon:

I wish Apple would make a car.
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    I can relate to what you're saying but more in the tune of apple. i just bought a new apple and returned it for full refund. hated it. nothing but problems. i've got an 08 accord that has seat problems and honda won't fix it. the gas mileage also sux at 22mpg combined. my previous 04 accord got 27mpg combined and both are v6. i hate the eco part of the motor...lacks performance and lacks gas mileage. other than that, no other problems. will not be buying another honda. thinking about a toyota or nissan now.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    First of all, let me state straight away that this is not a troll post, as I've been monitoring this forum for long time. My wife and I have owned a Honda vehicles since 1978. Civics, Accords, and an even an Element... of course, we've also owned other makes of cars too within that period of time, as we always have a least two cars. We currently have a 2009 Accord LX, and - hold on to your hats - a 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS. The Elantra is technically my wife's car. And, here is the interesting statistic: the Accord has had several of the aforementioned bugaboos that other folks are mentioning on this forum, but is still a fine car. The Elantra after 32K miles and 4 years of ownership (purchased December 2005) has been perfect - no trips to the dealer for warranty claims, etc. - only regularly scheduled preventive maintenance and oil changes.

After owning a Honda for 32 years, the experience with Hyundai has been an eye opener for us. Plus, the dealer has been excellent. Obviously, this is only one statistical sample and we still love our Accord, but Honda and Toyota need to keep an eye on their rear view mirrors!
    Yes, a little more refinement and a Genesis may be just the thing.
    This is my third Accord (1993,1995,2008), mother has a 1999. The '99 v6 needed a cracked cyl head replaced at about 80k mi - never was overheated, either. Now at 108K.

Never had power mirrors fail, but should be easy enough to fix, as they are not intermittently broken :) . Have the shimmy/shake in the 08 ex-lv6 navi though. It will most likely stay that way, too.

Have owned a new car every three or fewer years. From rain water leaks (three) to incompetent dealers (basically every car that had something difficult to diagnose and fix, was still that way when traded in for a different make).
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Currently I have over 55k miles on my accord and still have the original Dunlop 16" tires. I know that Accords are known to have a more road noise than average. I wanted to know if these tires are known to cause even more road noise. I have noticed that at times the road noise is really bad and it makes me wonder if these tires cause more road noise.

For those who have these tires, your feedback/opinion would be highly appreciated. I am really thinking about getting new tires even though I can still go another 10k miles with these tires. Thanks.
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    my 08 accord came with michelin tires and they were very noisy. i got tired of the noise and the poor performance of that tire model so i changed to a different model of michelin and although the performance and ride got alot better, the noise is still somewhat higher that i've noticed in gm cars. this will be my last accord due to poor gas mileage, poor performance, and poor seating ergonomics.
  • gyushergyusher Member Posts: 67
    this will be my last accord due to poor gas mileage, poor performance, and poor seating ergonomics.

I'm a little dissapointed with my 08 EX-L coupe 4cyl as well. . . 15K now, rear brakes at 5mm, all 4 tires are 8mm, 23mpg lifetime avg with about 60/40 hwy/city plus my butt will go to sleep on a fairly long ride. . .

What I am not dissapointed with is the power this 4 banger has. . . It just keeps running stronger where even on a dry road when you floor it in a lower gear the traction light flickers around 6,000rpm. . . Runs out of steam around 80 but pulls much harder than expected. . . much harder. . . Kinda makes the 23mpg a little easier to swallow. . .
  • rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Replacing your tires may reduce the road noise, but be sure to thoroughly research your tire choices before you buy. Some tires are much noisier than others, and while some start out quiet, they get noisier as they wear.

An alternative: Use some Dynamat (or equivalent) under the rear seat, under the carpets, and in the trunk. Google Dynamat and you will discover it is an EXCELLENT sound/noise insulator, made specifically for automotive applications. I bought a pile of it to quiet down our excessively noist 2006 Element, where it worked pretty well. Our new (less than a week old) 2010 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan was really noisy, mostly road/tire noise. I had about 1/3-1/2 of the Dynamat left in the box, and yesterday pulled out the rear seat bottom and the trunk stuff in the Accord and proceeded to stick Dynamat everywhere I could. One thing I noticed is that Honda has done a horrible job of insulating, IMHO. A few blobs of some wierd foamy stuff globbed on here & there. Still lots and lots of exposed sheet metal (which generates/amplifies the noise). Today, the car was noticeably quieter when we took it out. However, I ran out of Dynamat, so if it's still noisy on the freeway, I will likely have to buy more and get creative about where I stick it. This isn't rocket science, but it is costly, time consuming and requires the ability to contort yourself into a variety of uncomfortable positions as you install it.

Good luck! ;)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think you may be on to something. I've found Honda's to be noisy cars and tiring to drive long distance. I don't think any tire alone can overcome that design shortfall by itself. Unfortunately, my two Honda's also have a lot of noise emanating from the glass and window/door seals, besides underneath. Its just a trade off you have to make if you like the car and its handling. Unfortunately, it seems to me that Honda may be losing some of that bullet proof mechanical reputation as well after you read all the blogs on recent problems from tranny's to A/C to engines - very sad.
  • mbusuttilmbusuttil Member Posts: 11
    I am from UE Malta ,my 09 Accord is still new only 3 k but when i look trough web sites of new American Accords i saw even the look is different than of those built in Japan,although in the insight remains the same.My tyers are the Yokohama that came with ,they are smooth tyers and have a very good grip although I like the best Michelin because of soft compound and smoothy ride than hard compound tyers.The only objection i seen is that in my country some roads are bad and in these you can hear the impact noise of the suspension and the tyer. :):)
    I sure agree with you that Hondas can be noisy. We had two Odysseys that were really noisy, especially window/door seals. If you buy them new, and you have a good dealer, their mechanics will at least attempt to fix/reduce the noises.

I believe what we're seeing is the Americanization of the Japanese car makers, meaning that Japanese cars that are made in America are more and more starting to resemble American cars when it comes to poor quality control and more importantly, excessive COST CUTTING. The problems we are seeing with our Hondas (by no means are these Honda-specific though) are primarily due to these two items. Unfortunate for us.

Perhaps it's just the nature of the auto industry in today's economic environment, but I first noticed the decline in 1995, when I bought a new Toyota Tacoma pickup that was so bad Toyota finally took it back after two months and gave me a different vehicle instead. Looks like the days of thoroughly testing and improving vehicles before they hit the market are gone forever and the manufacturers now prefer to let the consumer do the testing (the Microsoft model). A good reason to not buy the first year's production of any new model.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Japanese cars used to be safer to buy the first year out because they had already been on the market in Japan. That isn't true anymore and there are specific US models. It seems to me lately that some of the Ford and GM cars are actually quieter, screwed together tighter and more comfortable than some Honda and Toyota. If they get their long term durability up to snuff they may become serious challegers in a few years. Competition is good for the buyer.
    Today I had the chance to hit the freeway to see if my application of Dynamat under the rear seat and in the trunk had any effect in reducing the road noise.

Good news!! Yes, the road noise WAS reduced a bit, but I may order some additional Dynamat (I ran out) and proceed to finish the trunk and maybe do under the carpets too.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Had my 08 EX-L V6 serviced yesterday @ 29,400 miles. Got a call @ work about an hour after dropping it off and to no ones surprise I was told I needed the rear brakes done, rotors and all. Quotes $418.00 for rear brakes to which I replied that all my previous american cars could have had all 4 corners done @ close to that cost, and around 30,000 miles later. They finally acknowledged that the rear brakes have been somewhat of an issue and we settled on splitting the cost.

My transportation to pick up my car after work was a Buick Lacrosse 2010 AWD with pretty much all the bells and whistles @ an out the door cost of close to $40,000. I drove the 10 miles or so to the dealership and was left with mixed impressions. Acceleration was acceptable at best. While the car seems even bigger from the outside then the Accord, it seemed a tighter fit inside. Not compact car tight but not as roomy as the Accord. Seats seemed a tad more comfortable but visibility fore and aft were much worse then the Accord. For a GM product the ride seemed tight and well controlled with none of that boaty-floating over the road sense I've always felt from their vehicles. Steering was better weighted then most of the overly assisted feeling I remember from most GM vehicles. Bottom line, @ near $13,000 more then I paid for my Accord I felt most of that money went to all the electronic gadgetry and the vehicle dynamics while a big improvement over former GM vehicles still fell somewhat short of the Accord.

All serviced up and ready to hit the road in week for a 10 day 3,000 mile+ plus trip. We'll see what my impressions of the Accord will be after living in her and thrashing her up and down the east coast.

Happy motoring to all!
  • GrilltenderGrilltender Member Posts: 5
    Hello Roger,

I now have 43,000 on my 08 accord V6 and the oil consumption has increased to 2-Qt's every 4000 miles. Honda America continues to state that this is normal for my vehicle. I have a case with BBB and im hopping they can help resolve the situation. Where are you at with your 08?

Any input would be much appreciated.thanks

Steve
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Hey Steve,
    I have 54K on my 08 Accord Coupe V6 AT, with my new short block and heads at 24k I am going 4500miles using less than 1/2 qt. I drive spirited and cruise at 78mph for my daily run to San Jose. The first 10K miles on the new short block I was using about 1 qt at 3500miles than decreased to current over time. I also switched to Mobil 1 5-20w at about 15K miles as well.
    Honda will not help you until you get to 1qt per 1000 miles. I noticed that my prior oil consumption went up as the oil aged and I drove it hard by keepin it in 3 and 5000 rpm for 5 miles. If you try that and see what it does on your dip stick. You should see movement on the dip stick after doing that a few times. Wipe out your exhaust ports before and after you should see black oil residue. I checked my oil everyday during the time I had issues which helped me reach the conclusion. Honda did for sure have some of these engines go out of factory missing one oil ring on one cylinder but will not admit it. Honda dealer can scope into the cylinders and see what is going on in my case they saw scoring and a oil fouled head on that hole.
    Keep at them or go to a new dealer
    Roger
  • GrilltenderGrilltender Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Roger.

Do you know where I can obtain a copy of this Honda internal service bulletin that states- 1qt. per 1000 miles is acceptable?
  • itsmaheshpitsmaheshp Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2010
    I am having 2009 Accord EXL 4cyl Sedan and having the same problem. I have taken to Woodbridge, Virginia Honda Dealer and they checked it and said that the wheel rim has bends. I am really surprised that he said that I need to change all four rims for $2000. Since this is with the wheel rims, he told he cannot do the Road Force check. I am now 32K miles on it. Now I am having doubts on Honda quality.

Any solutions ?
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    It is surprising that all 4 of your wheels are bent - did you hit something really hard?

There are places that can repair your wheels, or you can go aftermarket for cheaper.

David