Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Anyone's recommendation for an Internet source of Honda parts, would be much appreciated

I've used HandA for parts with great success. They seem to have a good track record with other posters as well. I've also heard good things about Bernardi and Majestic but I've never used them.

My Honda dealer sends out coupons on occasion for 15% off parts. That works for me. Some have reported that their dealer will also match online prices... or at least come close.

If you do buy parts online, get several things at once and the shipping may not be as bad.
  • galvannigalvanni Member Posts: 8
    Where do I get one of these tools to reset the caliper piston. I'm going to do my back brakes myself on my 2008 Accord EXL-V6 Sedan.

Also, can someone suggest replacement rotors and pads e.g., which vendor, model if anyone here has done it. Much appreciated.
  • pgm17pgm17 Member Posts: 51
    I got a tool at my local Advance Auto Parts to reset it. It look like a cube with different pins on each end. Attachs to a rachet and twists the piston right in.

At 16k miles my rear brakes wore worn and the front pads had the judder when braking. I read up on the OEM pads being the culprit so I went with Akebono ceramic pads all around. So far alot less dusting and no more judder. Lets see how they hold out.
  • paul79ufpaul79uf Member Posts: 5
    I just replaced one of the headlight bulbs in our 2009 Honda Accord and I took the time to create a guide for all of the other bulbs.

Here's the guide - Honda Accord Headlight Bulbs Replacement Guide

I hope someone finds it to be useful.

Cheers,
    Paul Michaels
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If you have a Harborfreight store close by or can wait for a shipment to arrive, you can get the cube for less then $4.

http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wheel-disc-brake-piston-tool-95713.html

Mrbill
    I just ordered the tool - hopefully be here by end of the week.

Tire Rack has lots of pads and rotors for 2008 Accord Sedans. Should I get new rotors along with the new ceramic pads. I also get that "shudder" when braking and it feels like the front. I think my front rotors are warped. I'm not paying through the nose to get them cut again like I did the rears when they charged me out the wazoo.

Any suggestions on pad brand/model or rotor brand/model would be appreciated. I don't mind ponying up the money now if I know what I put on there is going to last, but I'm done with this circus side show at the Honda dealer - no more.
    i read up on rotor cutting and most of the time its unnecssary but a nice revnue generator to shops. i just replaced the pads and they are smooth now. but depending how bad it is you may need to cut them or just go for new ones.

i really like the Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads i put on front/back. no shudder, less dust, but one drawback is they have a little less bite than the OEMs.

supposedly Honda is redesigning the front and rear pads with different materials due to the class action on the rear and the tsb on the front.
    I got the letter for the class action lawsuit on the rear pads, but I heard nothing about a TSB on the fronts - what's that about? My car is in the shop today getting inspected and having a seat button fixed so if you can post the TSB, then I can give my dealer hell about that too ;-) Tire Rack has the pads you mentioned - I may try those out too.
    the link i had no longer works, i should have printed it...
    tell them its TSB 09-096
    edited July 2010
    I found the TSB online. I called the dealer and told them about this TSB and explained my shudder and they said they'd take care of it. By that, they better mean fix/cut/replace on their dime or I'm going lose my mind when I go pick up the car. If they don't take care of this - I assure you some poor sap there is going to go home and kick their dog after I get done taking a poo down their throat.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/08-10%20brake%20noise%2009-096.pdf
    edited July 2010
    Well, I must say - I'm mildly surprised. They cut the front rotors and gave me new pads as per the TSB for the front brakes and didn't charge me. Good thing I found out about the TSB before I hit 36k - I was at 30K. To top that off, the back brakes that I had replaced at 18 are barely worn according to the inspection report - so they must have replaced the backs with the new material pads when they did it (yes, I did file for my class action claim on the rears too).

So now my brake caliper tool is on the way and I have no need for it - guess I'll just save it for next time and do both front and rear myself and save some cash - I always did my brakes on my cars as a kid in school anyway, so it's time for me to get greased up again I guess.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    My 2010 Accord lx 4cyl, has a squek from the dashboard. When I start,,,you can hear it. Sometimes. Sounds like golf balls,in a bowl, shaking around. I know when i drop it off, Hondal will say they cant hear it.
  • itsmaheshpitsmaheshp Member Posts: 11
    is that when you start your car? if it is then its normal (from what honda dealer had said) and it appears only when you turn ignition too fast.
  • kendall8kendall8 Member Posts: 28
    no, after,,, ty
  • atx10atx10 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My Accord shows signs of severe oxidation...not in line with a two year old car. Everything that hits the paint, bird droppings, greasy smudges, etc. adhere and won't come off with a simple car wash.

The dealer says "some chemical got on it," but I've had two body shops point out the side mirrors, bumper, and vertical piece of the truck are all pristine. Every other surface shows that same oxidation. In my mind, this proves it's not an external problem. Nothing has gotten on the paint, no tree sap, water sprinklers, etc. to my knowledge. But could the dealer be correct?

The body shops that have looked at the paint say it's defective, but have no incentive to get involved. I can't find a place to have the paint tested near Austin, TX which seems my only option at this point.

Honda has advised they are finished considering the matter. They provided nothing in writing and advised me the damage was determined to be external by a Honda employee looking at photos of the car.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • ballyhooballyhoo Member Posts: 7
    I noticed that this is the cheapest paint job I have ever had on a car. Mine is one year old 2009 and it scratches so easily. I am sure down the road it will become apparent on all the cars. Yeah, I just went from a Land Rover to this... :cry:
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    This site was useful to me when I was identifying one of the defects in the finish on my 2008 Accord. No pics, but very good description of defects and what causes them.
    Paint Flaws

Mine has more paint flaws than the last three cars I owned combined - or the 2006 Subaru Outback that I couldn't find one on. Might have passed for a good paint job in the peeling late nineties. Dirt in paint in the door jambs, one solvent pop, and another dirt piece or two not in the jambs.
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Say can you tell me what color you're talking about. Do you have a Coupe or Sedan. Thanks Roger
    Mine is a Mystic Green Metallic (black interior), 2008 Accord Sedan, V6 EX-L Navi.

I suspect that you want to know what color atx10 's car is, since he is having the major issue with the paint.

If I had been buying one off the lot, I would not have bought this one after looking at it due to the paint issues, and the shimmy in it. However, no one had what I wanted on the lot, so the dealer swapped an order with another dealer, who had an order already in at the factory to be produced for the car I wanted. Three weeks later the car arrived. I hadn't been concerned about sight unseen on a new car, because in the past I never had an issue with Honda (or the other two brands whose vehicles were ordered/located for me in the past).

Well, as much as I would have liked to, it didn't seem worth the headache to refuse delivery over some minor paint flaws - as the dealer would either deny them, repaint a new car, or take you to court. As for the VCM/shimmy issues, they take a little road time to notice - and to find out that tire balance doesn't seem to fix the shimmy.

A warning about the repainting solution on a new car - these days savvy dealers use a device to check the paint thickness on panels on trade-in's. If a panel has a much different paint thickness, they know it was painted / repaired. Then they ding the value or press you about not disclosing accident damage (some states require accident damage of a certain value to be disclosed at trade-in).
  • foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    Well took my 2008 Accord in today with 55915 miles and again the rear brake pads are shot but the fronts were 40 % wore had all 4 rotors turned to take the
    shake out of the car when braking. The dealer said that the rear brakes are doing most of the work Seems to me that 20131 is not many miles on a set of rear pad
    PS this is the first time that the rotors been turned. Anyone else having the same issues?
  • coooocscoooocs Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I need a little help...i have a coupe 09 V6 and have had non-stop problems with steering wheel shimmy. I have been in and out of the dealership and unfortunately all has failed.

The thing that really blows me away is that sometimes ill be doing down the same highway to work and there is no shimmy at all, and then the next day there is! I am talking about a slight shimmy, nothing major, but it'd be great if it were never there at all....are there no solutions from Honda to this issue at all? I take it you have not had much luck either?

I have the factory michelin tires, wonder if that could be it? would appreciate your fed back, thanks!
  • shell100224shell100224 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2009 Accord brand new. I broke it in according to specs prior to the first oil change. Since then, the oil light has come on between each subsequent oil changes (Honda recommends every 5,000). It appears as though the car is losing (?) about 2.5 quarts of oil every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. This seems rather excessive and bothersome to me. I have driven a few Hondas, as well as a handful of Toyotas and Subarus, and have never had ANY oil loss between changes. Honda is insisting that this is normal, but I am not convinced. I have taken the car to the dealership three times and each time I have been dismissed and told that this is normal oil consumption. The warranty is almost up, and I'm worried there's a major issue here. Any input or suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • zatireszatires Member Posts: 39
    Anybody having this issue?
    2010 EX-L

When nobody is sitting on the passenger seat, the headrest of the seat is making a ticking sound, clicking sound when the road is not smooth, which mainly is most of my driving.

And thus it is driving me nuts. If I end up holding the headrest it does not make the sound. Will need to take it to dealer when the service is due, but i do not know if they will actually fix anything.

I also have a rattle in the steering wheel, on the horn cover. When you put a little bit pressure on the horn cover plastic it stops the rattle.

And of course the door handles.

Crazy. This much sound coming from a door handle while trying to open the door. This is not supposed to be a truck from the 80s.

Anybody having the same issues, and got them fixed somehow?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    That much oil usage is ridiculous. By all means, stay after them. Take it to another Honda dealer. I would not go back to your present dealer. My dealer would have been all over that. I have a 2005 Accord EX-L 2.4 and it uses no oil. I have 100,000 miles and I have always had it changed every 5,000 miles. Don't let your warranty pass without this being solved. No car should use that much oil. You have an engine problem. Keep us advised.
    There has been a huge discussion of this issue in the VCM thread. One person got lucky with a coupe that the dealer had the higher level factory mechanic come in when the local dealer couldn't fix the issue - they found a tiny bit of play (outside spec) on his accords inner tire rod end.

Me? I'm like the others, first time the dealer replaced two tires, road forced them, called it fixed. Picked the car up and it was horrible.

Second time they roadforced the tires again, saying they were way out of balance (guess a newbie did the work the first time, huh). Called it fixed. Picked the car up, still a shimmy at some speeds / conditions.

Third time, another balance, another - fixed, just normal road vibes. Picked it up - still shimmy at times.

At this point I was reading the VCM and this string - basically realized I was wasting my time, and this particular car was always going to shimmy to some degree, unless I wanted to spend oodles of money and find a shop that has the expertise to carefully check every items tolerance in the front end that might cause this (inner and outer tie rod ends, bearings, balance brake rotors, driveshafts, etc).

Some people notice the shimmy in the wheel (like us), and know it shouldn't be there. Others drive the car, and unless it is really bad, don't find anything wrong. I also notice the VCM 'minishift' sensation, and its delayed throttle response.

I've had front wheel drive cars where a quarter ounce of lost wheel weight would cause a small shimmy.

This accord, while still a very good car compared to many, doesn't measure up to older ones, nor some of its competitors. Damn I wish I could buy a brand new 1993 Accord EX five speed, rosewood brown metallic (my first import car, and my first accord). Chrysler/Dodge drove me off - you want troubles and bad dealers stories - the purchased new 92 dakota was soo bad i traded it at 8mo/12k miles.

I'll just drive this accrod like I stole it, and if I still have a good job next year, it's getting traded in. My mother likes it, and the little shimmy on the highway won't bother her - though I keep telling her to buy something else new.

I've said it before, the only good warranty is one you don't need, dealers can only fix simple or obvious issues. Anything requiring a lot of time or special expertise, you can forget, as they aren't getting paid under warranty for spending that much effort.
    Thanks for the response, the car is at the dealership today, and the gentleman I spoke with said that on the V6 model they were updating the computers for excess oil consumption, as it is a noted problem on that engine. I have the 4-cylinder LX-P model, so I'm hoping there's some sort of an "update" available for me. We shall see. If the problem is not solved before the warranty is up, this particular car will be on the dealership's used car lot, for sure.
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Regarding the updating computers for excessive oil consumption, it is bull or a fake statement by your dealership. I asked a Honda Service Mgr friend to verify this statement and it was not in any tech bulletins or even known about.
    Oil consumption problem on my 08 Accord V6 Coupe was determined to be a missing oil ring on one piston.
    My short block was replaced by Honda.
    Roger
  • jamie1983jamie1983 Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone received payment on the class action lawsuit for the brakes? I mailed everything in and have not heard anything else on the outcome.
  • GrilltenderGrilltender Member Posts: 5
    Was your Accord consuming more than a QT. every 1000miles before they did something about it?
    It was going through a little more than a quart every 1k but the dealership insisted this was normal. FINALLY today, they ran a cylinder leak test, and the car failed. As a result, I am getting a brand new engine block under warranty. This is after four times at the dealership at which I was basically told to go screw. Hopefully this issue is singular to this particular car, but the new engine does make me feel better about the whole thing.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    After a couple of time, it seems like I'd have tried another dealership, but then again, I live in a metropolitan area (Birmingham, AL) with three dealers within 25 miles of home.
  • fnmornikfnmornik Member Posts: 1
    Have 08 Accord- exactly the same story- I am adding a quarter of oil every month. One oil-change place reject service to my cur because of oil was at low mark, and they said that this is common problem for 08-09 Accords. As usual, dealers rejects any claims, which is quite normal. I already participate in class action law suit against Honda regarding early breaks failure- dealers said that I have bad driving style... This will be next one, I believe.

Overall very disappointing- I used to have a 97 Civic that run perfect 250K miles... Please, keep positing if you learn something more.
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    Lucky for me that I do not have this oil problem. I've got an 08 accord v6 with 60,000 miles and my oil stick always shows it is full all the time. I've never had to add any oil even on my long trips of driving 1500 miles and more at speeds of 80mph in heat and the mountains. I change my oil according to my car's maintenance minder which is usually around 9,000 miles and I take it to the dealership for all maintenance.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    My 08 V6 hasn't consume any oil except during break-in when I had to add a quart at about 4500 miles. I was concerned at the time since my previous 06 V6 never required more oil since new. But since break-in, my 08 fell into same pattern as the 06. I change it when the minder indicated, somewhere around 8k miles.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    It will take some time to know if this solves your problem. When you have put enough miles on the engine that you can tell, let us know. I would like to know if this fixed your problem. Reading your post made me mad, not at you but the dealer.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    I have a 2004 EX-L V-6 6spd. Coupe with 147,000 miles on it. Car looks/runs fairly well - still on original clutch, starter motor, alternator, etc. but I have a 100 mile per day roundtrip commute and am starting to think about a new car sometime next spring. My dealer was right - I'm gonna sell it 'cause I'm sick of it, not b/c there's anything wrong with it.

Right now I'm averaging 27 mpg combined highway/local (80% hwy.) and have gotten 30+ on long trips. A strong contender for my next purchase is, obviously, the current generation Accord V-6 Coupe. However, I've noticed that, where my car with its 3.0L V-6 was EPA rated at 20/30 city/hwy., the new ones are 19/25 city hwy. Even accounting for the changes in the EPA cycle testing and the bigger motor, that seems awfully low to me - only one mpg more than my wife's Odyssey.

I was wondering what kind of mileage all y'all are gettin' out there with the current generation V-6 Accord - particularly those with the MANUAL tranny and the 3.5L V-6 motor.

Thanks!

-FS :)
    i've got an 08 accord ex-L with v6 automatic and my gas mileage averages around 22. one time i got 25 but that was on a long trip where i maintained a steady speed for every tank of gas and very few stops. i recall the 04 v6 model having fewer horsepower than my o8 v6 but my 08 has a new supposedly better gas mileage thingie built within the engine called ECO which imo is a pos. the eco somewhat monitors your speed and when it gets to be a steady speed, the engine will temporarily shut down other cylinders...6-4-3 and will or is supposed to be better fuel mileage which is isn't. due to the eco, the engine therefore lacks performance until you get about 60,000 miles on it and then it finally begins to come alive. i've had few problems otherwise with this car but there is still one nagging problem that honda will not fix is the driver's seat. it lacks adjustment for the rear of the seat bottom to raise up or down and causes a huge gap between the seat bottom and the seat back to which the lumbar control makes it worse. this is my 2nd and will be my last honda. it hurts my back to drive it and i want something like the previous 04 accord...performance and mileage and a seat that will adjust. my previous 04 v6 ex-L w/auto got 27mpg. i sometimes wonder what goofball decided to help the oil companies by adding the gas guzzling eco.
    Since you bought your 2004, the EPA has changed the methods with which fuel economy is measured. Your vehicle under the new measures is rated 18/27, so the difference isn't nearly so drastic. My '96 Accord was rated 23/31 under the old rules, 20/27 under the new ratings. My '06 2.4L was at 24/34, now 21/31.

Check out www.fueleconomy.gov and see for yourself. Hope that helps! :shades:
    edited September 2010
    seems to me their is a whole forum on this site just on the honda accord fuel mileage questions.

The newer cars are generally larger and heavier (again) than the older ones due to adding air bags, and structure to pass the IIHS offset tests, side impact tests, etc.

I have a heavy foot and an 2008 EXL-V6 Navi Sedan. Using the cruise control on the highway with speeds in the upper 70's I have gotten 29 MPG on trips between Columbus OH and Lancaster PA (a bit more than 400 miles one way, still have a 1/4 tank of fuel left) - I see many people during burst speeds on the highway (which lowers mileage), versus a steady speed. CIty driving is about 17 MPG with my heavy foot style - the same city mileage as I got with my prior 2006 Subaru Outback wagon 2.5 XT (that's a 250hp Turbo 4cyl with 5spd manual). The Subaru had about 24 MPG on the highway, same trip as the Accord.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Your results are right in line with my previous 08 V6 Sedan. Extended interstate travel at 65-70 mph I've had a couple tankfuls at 32-33 mpg. My new 2010 V6 Sedan has returned a best of 27 mpg with mostly interstate but about 125 miles of mixed stop and go and rural roads. I was quite happy with the 08 and feel reasonably confident that once broken in the 2010 will prove to be just as economical.
  • ash20ash20 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I just had my 15K check last night on a 2009 Accord. They found multiple issues and the car is only a year old, I feel like I am being taken.

Pollen Filter replacement, Rear Break Pads (I told them I'd wait, then he said that I probably had 10K miles left) and this is the one that really annoyed me, the Exhaust System, told me I'd fail an inspection if I didn't get it cleaned, it was $200.

Has anyone else had similar issues or comments?

Do you regularly get the pollen filter changed? Thanks!
    you can replace the pollen filter yourself. it is located behind the glovebox. it has latches underneath the glovebox...pull them apart and it swings down to reveal the filter. buy the filter at any local auto parts store.

my brake pads lasted about 30k and i have a heavy foot.

the exhaust system? cleaned? never heard of that one. sounds like a scam. almost sounds like the same scam that many dealerships try to force upon its customers like changing oil every 3k miles instead of letting the car's built-in maintenance minder notify you when it needs to be changed.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    All cars have to meet emission standards for well beyond 15,000 miles. Insist on a refund and avoid this dealer in the future.
    Leave this dealer and never look back.

The posts above mine pretty much answer your questions; I agree with them both. The exhaust thing is baloney. The pollen filter can go 30k in most situations (mine has; I live in Birmingham, AL). Use the maintenance minder to tell you what service you need.
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    Yes, tell them it's a warranty issue and they need to stand behind it and then tell them you are more than willing to call Honda corporate to let them know about your issues they have found. I'm sure they will start doing some fancy footwork to squirm out of their lies. Ask them how they plan on cleaning it, perhaps with a really long q-tip? As for the filter, it is a regular maint. item and is super easy to change. Just Google cabin filter replacement instructions and you will be able to find pics people have posted on other forums. As for rear brakes, I have 34K on my 08 and plenty of pad left. Not a lot of stop and go driving though, and I have a 5 speed MT which helps brake wear. I had a number problems with my dealer early on and had Honda call me for a survey after one appt. I had for a squeaking glove box door (second appt. same prob.) The tech took a couple of things out of said glove box and pronounced it "fixed" without even taking it for a test drive. needless to say it went squeak squeak squeak all the way home. Took the phone survey as politely as possible so as to not sound like a raving lunatic and the dealer calls me the very next day with a very helpful attitude. Now if I have a problem they treat me like they should of from the very start.
    YMMV on the cabin filter. I didn't bother to check mine until 30K and it was filthy. I live in a more rural setting so it is a bit more dusty. I don't drive gravel though. Anyway, it's easy to check and replace!
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Clean the exhaust system??? Now that's a new one. I'm shocked they didn't say they would grease the muffler bearings when they clean the exhaust.

Mrbill
    I had the glovebox door rattle, dealer couldn't fix - first they said they heard something and were testing. Then when I picked it up they said they couldn't find it, and I needed to let it get worse so they could find it. Well, even though mine wasn't in the tsb range for the fix, applying the piece of cushioning pad (i actually used two small pieces of the loop side of velcro that had permanent adhesive) to both sides of the opening fixed it.

Might have a bit of the package shelf rattle on hard bumps, but not real obvious yet.

The dealers seem to be pushing overpriced filter changes now, to make up for the maint minder cutting down on oil changes. I'm afraid that the service writers real job these days is to find some high markup add ons to push at owners whose cars only need minimal work on a visit.
    My VIN wasn't within the TSB range either, but I specifically told them that I wanted it done. The tech told me quite frequently that TSB fixes work for a wider range of VINs than what is stated. What sucked is they knew of this issue, but didn't apply the right corrective measure from the git-go. I no longer take mine to the dealer for anything other than warranty issues. I take it to a guy I've known and trusted for years. I think the Maint. Minder is useless to me. I just switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic and will run that 6K or 6months, whichever comes first. Even if the oil could go more miles, I prefer to have my car looked over at more frequent intervals to catch any potential problems before they could get worse and lead to a much more expensive repair. Earlier this year I spun a crank bearing in my 97 Camry with almost 170K on it. It had the conventional oil changed in it every 3K. I was blessed to have a friend who rebuilt it for me. The pistons and rings had so much carbon buildup it wasn't funny. Just imagine if I had gone 6k on a oil change! Of course it makes a difference I live where it gets crappy cold in the winter and some of the driving is short distances. I now run Mobil 1 in it too. I've heard some people claim engines are more efficient now and can go 8k or more on a oil change. I'm not comfortable with that. Motors are still moving parts, and things that move need good lubrication or they will wear faster. You might as well go to Jiffy Lube, because there is little difference on the quality of service. I doubt the dealership makes much money on a oil change and that is why they push the high markup services. At least half the things on the list (inspections) for the 15k and 30k services at my dealership are things my local guy does every time he changes my oil. That's why it takes him at least 45 minutes to do it instead of the dealers 20 minutes. I'm all for taking my vehicle to a independent shop for as much as I can. You just have to ask a lot of people who they are satisfied with to find a good one, or you will end up with someone else wanting to clean your exhaust system = wallet!
  • coooocscoooocs Member Posts: 2
    Hey again. Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Yeah I've been in and out of the dealership a zillion times literally about this Shimmy problem...I noticed that it occurs depending on road surfaces. Sometimes its not there at all and then there are times when it is very apparent....its too bad that as of now I have not heard any success stories to this issue. Then again, lots of people don't even notice it, like you said.

Fortunately, I really don't have any other issues at all...The brakes were replaced due to noise, and that now has been solved - that was free of charge due to the amount of complaints Honda has received.

How satisfied are you with the Shimmy issue now? Have you had any success or is it still vibrating all the time? Thanks..