Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bud_foxx44bud_foxx44 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2009 Accord sedan and I am experiencing wind noise and now a rattle coming from my sunroof. Is anyone else have this issue and if so, can it be fixed?

Thanks
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2010
    You're welcome.

The steering wheel shimmy will be with my 2008 until it's traded or sold. It wasn't worth any more wasted time at the dealer. Repeated road force balances moved the peak of the vibration out of the exact highway speed range I typically cruised when I was chasing this problem. Late last year I relocated again, and am not doing hours (6+) worth of driving at those highway speeds anymore (where it was bugging me the whole way). I just ignore it now for the shorter weekend runs (1+ hour).

This issue was generally considered by most to be a VCM issue, which has it's own large forum here. Postings have died down greatly in the past while, either people got rid of the car, or have likely done what I did for the sake of their sanity.

Other things on the 2008 it went to the dealer for - glovebox rattle (dealer failed, I fixed), leaky ac fitting at the condenser (you start to see road dirt sticking in the oil at the fitting).

I've spent un-told hours of my life in certain car dealerships, having purchased twelve new cars of various makes from 88 - present. Some were truly horrendous, such as the 92 Dodge Dakota that in 8mo/12k miles sent me running to my first foreign purchase (a fondly remembered 92 Accord EX Sedan 5sp in Rosewood Brown Metallic, with the Honda 5 disc cd trunk changer added - put on 52k in two years). Something like ford, dodge, dodge (multiple problem child), honda, honda, chevy (one problem they couldn't fix), ford, ford, bmw (one nagging electrical ill), toyota, subaru, honda.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Haven't been on the board in a long time :) But, I thought I might post my most recent experience with my 08 Accord and with Honda Customer Service :(

Unfortunately, my 08, 4-cyl Accord has been the most disappointing car I've ever owned. Among other complaints, it's due for its fourth brake job with 50,000 miles. Yes, I know about the rear brake pads..but that's only one of my problems. I've had all four rotors either machined or replaced 3 times (12k, 24k, 34k). Now, ny Accord needs the front rotors machined again and the back pads and rotors need replaced. I drive 80% highway miles and I'm VERY easy on brakes. This is my 4th Accord and the other three were traded in or sold with 140k+ miles without ever replacing a single pad or machining a single rotor!

With just over 50k, my local dealer is no longer able to provide courtesy warranty work. So, I called Honda Customer Service yesterday in Torrence, California. I was surprised and very dissapointed. Although I finally was assigned a case file and referred to a case manager, the lady I initially talked with was very clearly trained to filter calls and provide a significant block to customers who need help. Without getting into all the details, I explained my case to this lady and, after consulting with her people, she provided a detailed diatribe on why Honda was sorry but couldn't help me. I'm a lawyer...unfortunately for her :) I was extremely polite, but equally persistent! While I eventually got what I wanted, I was honestly surprised and dissapointed in Honda's apparent approach to customer relations. I know that neither my older parents nor many of my friends would have had the "be a courteous a**hole" skills that it took to get Honda to do something for me. That's not the way things should work with a car that very clearly has a defect and that any honorable car company would do something to fix.

I'll post again when I hear back from the case manager. :confuse:
  • joednajoedna Member Posts: 5
    Class action law suit settled Aug 29, 2010 due to major complaints on rear brakes for 2008-2009 Accords...look up www.accordsettlement.com
    Thanks joedna. I do have the rear brake pad issue... however, I've had all four rotors machined or replaced multiple times. Unfortunately, my problems are bigger than the recall :(

On another note, my frustrations with Honda continue. I received a call from my case manager last night. She told me that my problems are all solved by the rear brake pad replacement recall. When I told her that I had experienced problems with all four rotors and pads, she said "oh" and told me she would call back next week. Impressive! :cry:
    Well... here's a short update, since I'm still exhausted from explaining to Honda that 4 brake-jobs in 50,000 miles constitutes a "defect." I finally got what I wanted with some "participation" on my part. I get to buy the brake pads, while Honda is going to pay for new disks and all the labor. That's actually fine with me and seems reasonably fair. However, I have truly lost my faith in Honda of America. The squeaky wheel gets the grease....but I should not have had to be so squeaky when I had a legitimate claim. I was always very polite, but had to absolutely put the screws to the claim manager before she finally gave me what I deserve. At one point, I pinned her down on Honda's position and she told me that there is no defect in a 2 year-old Accord that has had the brake rotors replaced or machined every 10-15k miles under regular driving conditions.....whaaaaaaat? Honda does not play fair...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Honda does not play fair

Then don't play with them anymore...
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    about that refund for the brakes, be sure that you enter the brake pad part number and not the honda part number when you send it to get refunded per that class action law suit. they sent mine back and told me to enter the honda part number which was what i initially did and i got their phone number and called them. i told them that i had entered the correct part number per their claim and the dingdong on their end told me they wanted the brake pad part number, not the honda part number which is different. i said...why didn't you say that then? and the guy hung up on me. they're all a bunch of a**h***s including honda.
  • michael2595michael2595 Member Posts: 72
    I admire you... I went bonkers on the lying thieves at my Honda dealership and realized I dont want them to touch my car anymore nor my brake system that I dont own, but I rent.... 200 dollars to turn rotors and they will sell me new rotors installed for 250.. they told me this after I had the rotors turned twice... I am taking my 2007 honda with less than 25,000 miles on it to my mechanic and he will put the finest oem brake pads and rotors and calipers on the car... I dont want to run the risk of having my family killed on a steep hill, etc,, This is too important to fool around with.. I choose not to have rotors made out silly putyy on my car anymore and brakes that kast 25 niles (sic)... to hell with the warranty.... This will cost me about 750 but well worth it.. At least I will own my brake system and gt rid of that awful pulsing that makes my car feel like it going to jump off the road.... What A mistake I made buying this POS.... should have done my homework, my fault.
    edited October 2010
    Just a thought, but I would not put Honda OEM parts back on if I had a choice!!!! Use aftermarket parts that will be more robust at the same cost! I asked, and my Honda dealer can't do that since Honda is paying my labor costs. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider bolting on the same parts that have already failed me 4 times! Unless I decide to purchase a different car (which I very well may do), I foresee a complete aftermarket brake package on my Honda when my "new" brakes fail 12-15k miles from now :(

rkirchoff - thanks for the advise on the warranty claim!

Grad-- good to hear from you... it's been a while! Unfortunately, until you step up into something much more expensive, I'm not sure any of the manufacturers are any better than Honda. And, my likely replacement vehicle will be an Acura....so I still get to deal with Honda. My hope is that Acura's engineering standard is sufficiently higher to avoid most of the problems that seems to plague my Accord. Really, most of my complaints center around engineering and corner cutting issues...brakes included! BTW Grad, if you have an opinion, I'd love to know what you think of the Acura TSX or TL...and whether you think their price is worth it :) I'm very seriously considering an upgrade....but don't want to do anything stupid.
    I can't be the one to tell you if I think they're worth the price or not; we likely all have different ideas of the value of a car based on our financial situations and personal preferences. From the perspective of an engaged-to-marry young man whose wife-to-be is graduating from a private college in December, I went shopping for a replacement with the mindset that I wanted no car payment. I spent $650 out of pocket and found a more powerful, much newer ('09 vs. '06), better equipped car, with a good deal of warranty left in it.

The cars in general? I'd prefer the TSX from a styling standpoint, and I'm not sure you really want to know what I think about the TL if you're considering it for purchase. :blush:

For the money, Honda needs powertrains that are about ten years more advanced; 5-speed autos and the J-series V6 (still SOHC? I don't honestly know...) are old by modern-car standards. The J is a fine engine, but hitched to that automatic, it's not much quicker than my Sonata; it saps the power and economy is only "decent."

The car asks you to overlook its shortcomings; I can do that when spending $15k-$20k; but at $35k I don't really want to feel like I'm being apologized to when checking out a brand new model.
    My Honda is so full of problems I didnt know I had an exhaust system... I dont own the rotors and brakes.. I rent them.. I could go on and on but I have a weak heart. First time I bought a Honda....where is my 38?
    Good perspective Grad! I'm looking at slightly used Acura's, but your points are well taken. Who knows what I will do... it likely will depend most on the trade-in or private sale value I can get from my Accord. I have several quotes on 6 speed manual TSX's. That might be cool and it would squelch my endless frustration with my Accord's automatic transmission! Ahhhhhh.......I'm not sure it wouldn't be worth the price just to feel a real stick-shift under my hand :)
    edited October 2010
    There are lots of stick shift options; not just Hondas & Acuras.

Just sayin... :)
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    2008 EX-L V6/Auto. 40K miles.
    I have two potential problems I want to see if anyone has experience with any of them.
    1- At low speed there is this high pitched (whine) noise from the engine and perhaps the transmission (I am guessing more from the engine since it does it when stopped too). Although, I have noticed it does not happen all the time.

2- When starting slowly from stop, and moving forward slowly, it feels like a hesitation/vibration at around 30 mph when it seems like it is changing gears (2nd to 3rd, perhaps). Any thought son these two. Thanks.
    If the whine happens when stopped and in park, have you opened the hood and tried to locate what seems to be making the noise? An alternator bearing can make a nice whine, along with many other things.

As you state the transmission is acting weirder than normal for the adaptive automatic, it could be that too.

If you get it diagnosed now, and it is something major, it could be covered under the 5/60 power train warranty.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Re: Problem 2 (hesitation/vibration) - I have a 2004 EX-L V-6 6 spd., but have experienced a similar problem since the car was almost new. It seems to happen only in colder weather (from late fall until early spring, but not during the summer) and is best characterized as a minor seemingly rotational vibration in the seat. It almost feels as if there is a tiny flat spot in one of the rear tires or as if a caliper is very slightly hung up a shade too close to a slightly warped rotor. I've had half a dozen techs look at it - we've changed rotors, pads, and tires, as well as inspected bearings, checked motor mounts, etc. The most vexing part is it lasts for about 35-40 seconds as I accelerate to highway speed and then perhaps for a minute or so after that and then just fades away.

I'd still worry about it, except that the car has 149,000 miles on it (original clutch, alternator, and starter!) and is starting to develop a little "high mileage personality" in other areas. If that's the worst I have to live with, its not so bad and my hope/plan is to run the car to around 175k and get rid of it sometime mid-next year.

I know this doesn't really help you, and I'm sorry, but I thought you'd want to know that you're not the only one whose had it and/or that it doesn't seem to be something to panic about as you try to figure it out.
  • dilt1dilt1 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone looked at your inner CV axle joints? Vibration getting up to speed is a classic symptom. FWIW.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I have the same car (08 EXL V6) and just turned over to 40k miles. I don't have the whine problem but I do experience the hesitation/vibration you have. I also had the same issue with my previous 2006 EX V6. My problem only occurs when the engine/transmission has not fully warmed up. Once I've gone about 4-5 miles or so, it stops acting up and shifts and run smoothly. It seems to occur when the engine/transmission appears ready to shift to a higher gear but something holds it back for a second or two.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've had an 08 V6 and now own a 2010 V6. Have yet to drive the newer vehicle in cold weather, but my 08 had some similar characteristics when cold. In the 08 and newer I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with the hydraulic engine mounts being slightly stiffer when cold and normalizing after a few miles. Not familiar with the 06, but I don't think that has the same engine mounts.
    With over 5,500 miles on my 2010 I'm not noticing anywhere near the amount of VCM activity that my 08 exhibited. Either their system has a wide range of mfg tolerances resulting in variations in activity being transmitted thru the drive train to the seat of your pants or they have been able to isolate and tame the on again off again surging - pulsing - shifting nature that was present in my 08.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    I am the proud owner of a 06 Milano red/ebony 6MT tsx/wnav. It will soon be 4 years old and has almost 114,000 problem free miles. It still has the original brakes. Love it. We recently traded our 05 hyundai elantra GT with 100,000+miles for a '11 sonata 6MT. It would be nice if they offered more options with the MT. Will not settle for automatic. We also own a 07 Mitsubishi truck with 6MT.
  • daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    So nj2pa2nc, what does this have to do with the Honda Accord (2008+) Maintenance and Repair? I visit the Accord postings regularly to benefit from the many useful postings. Perhaps the Hosts should do a better job of keeping rubbish like this at the appropriate places?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    While there's not a much more gratifying experience than being told by a stranger/infrequent visitor that you need to do your job better (i.e., according to THEIR specifications), the comment was in context. We do permit some off-topic conversation as long as the entire topic isn't derailed... which it isn't. There's still plenty of space here for you & others to talk about your maintenance & repair concerns.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• daneeldaneel Member Posts: 19
    Kirstie_h, perhaps if you would explain what an 06 Milano and an '11 Sonata MT have to do with the "Honda Accord 2008 Maintenance and Repair" discussion, I may just be able to comprehend it.
    sometimes when i drive my 08 accord v6 on the highway it causes milano and sonata vehicles to disappear in the rear view mirror. Sometimes i pass them so fast they even look like accords. ;)

Oops, that not the speed, it's the vcm vibration making the mirror shake, my bad.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Daneel - you made a good observation, you got your explanation (whether you agree with it or not), and now everyone's been educated - all things that could have been just as easily (and perhaps even better) accomplished without the obnoxious sarcastic tone you've taken in your posts about, well, these posts. This is a friendly group of helpful people and your aggressiveness is, in my humble opinion, both over the top and totally uncalled for.

My father taught me that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

-FS
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Actually, nj2pa2nc was replying to bug4's post about the TSX and the reference to manual transmissions. Even though it does not directly relate to the topic, it was a reply to the thread.

At least it was a lot closer than some posts. :)

So who has some 08+ Accord repair issues??
  • kingrkingr Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2010 EXL-V6 sedan and I notice a slight hesitation when shifting gears when car is cold during low speed driving, almost feels like transmissinn is slipping but I don't notice it when car heats up. I see others have noticed it also, for now I will wait and see if it gets worse. Maybe mention it at next visit to dealer.
  • boqibamaboqibama Member Posts: 25
    I have a 09 Accord over a year, I found out the coolant level drops 1 inch in the past half a year. Is there any evaparation in the cooling system? I don't think the leaking is the problem on such a new car. How often you guys refill the coolant? and how much? If I do the refill, should I only use water to maintain the antifrezze concentration? Any information will be helpful, thanks
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I would not add tap water to the cooling system. Honda's coolant is pre-mixed, so you don't have to add water, and the mixture stays at 50/50. Adding just water dilutes the 50/50 mix. If you need coolant, buy a gallon. With 2 gallons, you could do a drain and fill. The Honda coolant is long life coolant, and is not compatible with some other coolants, so I would buy the Honda stuff.
    thanks for the input. But if the evaporation occurs, the coolant will loss water part hence the antifreeze appears in the higher ratio. Just the thought.
    You really should not lose anti-freeze. I am guessing that you are talking about one inch change in the coolant recovery bottle? Maybe there is a tiny leak in the system somewhere.

If it was to the point where you had to add a couple cups worth every month or two, I would be quite concerned. For instance, my mothers 99 Accord V6 developed a cracked head around 70k (never overheated, so not sure why it cracked) - and the first symptom was dis-appearing antifreeze, followed a couple months later by misfiring. Another car (not a Honda) I had experienced a head gasket failure, and there was a very tiny leak down the block when running, but it evaporated on the hot block and was hard to spot.

Your car is still under the 3/36 coverage, maybe you want to have a pressure test / leak check done (they can add a dye to the coolant and use a black light to look for residue after driving it awhile).
    Thanks. The coolant loss is in the overflow reservior. I will keep the eyes on it for the next a few months. I saw some people keep topping off their new Civics for about a year then the coolant loss disappears. that's weird.
  • cheesercheeser Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2010
    I posted this problem over a year ago and Honda Tech is still jerking us around. We are on the second oil consumption test. For months we brought the car into the dealer and they would call Honda, note how much oil they put in, topped it off and sent us on our way. We did this for 6 months. We started the first consumption test about 6 weeks ago. Bring the car in when the oil is a quart low and they will make a decision. We brought it in quart low @ 1200 miles. They told us they put a defective oil filter in and wanted us to do the test over again. I'm pissed. Oh yes, the Transmission started leaking about a month a ago and they said the Tranny's case is porous and the transmission has to be replaced. I called Honda Customer service and discussed everything that has gone wrong in this lemon. Brakes, Interior problems including seat motor and rails. They won't replace the car and will only fix what's wrong. They didn't offer anything to me other than a sorry and that does cut it. I told him you wouldn't be saying that if it was your car.
    This is my 5th and last Honda. Other than litigation I have no recourse, stuck with this pile and my warranty runs out in a year. What can I do?? I'm at a loss and totally disappointed with Honda Corporate Costumer Service. The local dealer has their hands tied by Corporate.
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Please search my posts re: 08 Accord V6 coupe oil consumption. My engine was missing an OIL RING on one cylinder. My shortblock and heads were replaced by Honda after the first round of oil tests. I was using one quart at 1000 to 1200 miles.
    You need to drive the piss out of your car in Drive 3 you need to get very close to 1qt per 1000 miles or they wont move. If you hit that mark call Honda Regional Service and beat the crap out of your dealer to get the regional service rep involved.
    Roger :mad:
    edited October 2010
    I have no tolerance for these idiots having gone through three sets of rotors in 25,000 miles and service telling me its my fault... Go after them with the lemon law,Send a letter to the President of Honda.. I am serious... That will get serious attention and when all else fails, Picket.. I have done that,too.
    I dont own them.. I rent them. 25,000 miles on car... Any suggestions as to what I should buy and not from Honda.. Thank you in advance
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yep, I looked at your post from last year before I posted again. I couldn't believe when they told us the oil filter might have been leaking and we need to do the test again. I haven't seen any oil leaking from the motor on the garage floor, but the tranny is another thing. They wanted to replace the trans and I said to wait, because you'll be doing the motor too. I've had interior problem too. Not like my 93 Del Sol with 130K miles i presently have. Not a drop of oil between changes! I told the Rep this is my 5th Honda and he really didn't care.

Does your car still burn oil? They tried telling us that the motor doesn't break in till 12K, but we have 22k on it. Painful. Thanks for the tip on the regional rep!
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    I left my car runnning to get something i forgot in the house the other day. As I walked back I heard this loud, tinny noise coming from my engine. On lifting the hood, the noise was significant and was coming from the valve cover. The power and drive characteristics are all the same - just lots of noise. Two days later the service writer at Ed Morse Honda in West Palm Beach said the noise was normal for higher mileage 4 cyl.'s. My car has 28,600.

This is my thrid Honda (and two more in the family) and the first time an engine has sounded bad at any mileage. My wife says trade it..... Any engine noise issues out there....
  • icyou812icyou812 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2010
    Seriously, the guy said your engines sound was normal for a higher mileage car? Less than 30K is far from that. If this is a new sound you've never heard before, head to another dealer if there are any nearby. I wouldn't want to take a chance on the noise growing into a situation where your engine is trashed out. There is a TSB for engine noise at cold startup, but that noise supposedly only lasts for about 2 seconds. Here's a link to it, you can click on the picture to listen: link title Perhaps the valve lash needs adjusted? Sounds odd. My 08 has 37K and still sounds the same as new.
  • catmikecatmike Member Posts: 35
    Thanks Icyou812...... yup, that was what he said.... so i'll take to another dealer. I have to see him wendesday about the leather seats cracking (warranty coverage)... and I'll try him on the lash....

That TSB is fantastic... comes with sounds lol, amazing... .. it helps knowing that your car sounds the same.....

Will give an update... this later this week..... thanks...
    Anyone experience this - 2010 EX-L V6 Sedan, This morning out of the blue the car starts running rough feeling like it's going to stall and seems to have a loss of power, then the engine malfunction lights starts to flash, I drove it for about 4 miles like this, never got better. Have an appointment in the morning at the dealer. Car has 12,000 miles and never an issue till now,
    Any ideas.

Thanks
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20

...similar.
    Had to have the fuel pump replaced in my 2008.
    Inconvenience but no problem since.
    edited November 2010
    - 2010 EX-L V6 Sedan, This morning out of the blue the car starts running rough feeling like it's going to stall and seems to have a loss of power, then the engine malfunction lights starts to flash, I drove it for about 4 miles like this, never got better. Have an appointment in the morning at the dealer. Car has 12,000 miles and never an issue till now,
    Any ideas.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------

Here is what was done to correct my problem, I thought there may be some interest in this issue, Taking this directly from my work order. -

'Inspected spark plugs No. 1 through No. 4, Found the No. 3 spark plug fouled. Replaced the No. 3 cylinder spark plug and performed the power train control module software update as per Honda Service Bulletin No. 10-033'
    Guess I would be curious as to what fouled the plug. That isn't too common these days. Oil, gas, water, carbon, debris?
    Yea I didn't ask what caused it, I was just trying to alert owners that this problem does exist and Honda is aware of it and has a fix. It is not a recall which means you will not be informed of this unless you have this problem. Owners may want to mention it at the dealer to see what they say. They may do nothing if you don't have the problem, You will know if you have this problem,
    This is only for the six cylinders.
    Honda customer service called me last week and acknowledged there is a problem with their V-6 consuming oil and their engineers will have a fix in 2 - 3 weeks. They asked us to be patient and they will fix it. They want us to complete our (2nd) oil consumption test and then bring it in.. They also told us for our trouble they would extend our warranty for 8 years. We'll see and sounds good. I'll keep you all posted. I told him if the next fix does not work, we are going to talk......
    Do you know if when they said they will have a fix in 2 - 3 weeks, did they mean for you or for the problem in general, such as a Recall?
    Start joke:
    the fix - use a couple cans of the special super heavy oil additive for older cars to stop smoking/oil consumption.
    End joke.

Luckily, the 08 V6 Accord Sedan I have doesn't quite use a quart between minder oil changes. It's close though, and more than once I have added some to make sure it didn't get too low during a long trip near change time.

I wouldn't expect a recall, unless it can be turned into a safety issue. Likely another one of those service campaigns where only those who complain are offered the fix and warranty extension on the engine.

Also, the car already has a five year power train, so three more years on the engine - what mileage?

Sounds almost too good to be true - looking forward to hearing some official details.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Actually, I think I have that noise associated with my power steering since I have noticed it is a lot harder than any other car (or the past, for that matter) to turn the wheels. I will be taking it to the dealer to have it checked out and will keep you posted. As for the hesitation, I will have it checked at the same time.