Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bearblackbearblack Member Posts: 8
    In response to your vibration problems,
    I bought the 08 Accord EX 5spd when it first came out (September) and had it in the Honda dealer 4 times. Dealer deny, deny, can't really feel vibration! They balanced (steel wheel weights, very professional) the tires 3 times, rotated 2 times, ahhh, still couldn't feel the vibration I was talking about. I refused to let the idiot drive and took him for the ride of his life between 60 and 85, chewed his but for the steel wheel weights and runining my nice wheels. They replaced 2 tires saying the belts may have shifted. I ended up bringing the car to a quality tire place were they removed the wheel weights and balanced the tires just like the manufacturer (stick on weights) and told me they found various air pressures in all 4 tires. (46psi, 26psi, 33psi and 32psi) Wow those mechanics at Liberty Honda, Hartford, CT are true monkeys! The car still is not right, as I still have slight vibration, irritating! Town Fair tire told me they have heard of bad factory tires on new Accords, not sure if they just want to sell me new Toyo's, so I'll just burn these off first.
    But thats the least of my problems, I now seem to have a syncro shifting problem with 3rd gear if I do anything but a very positive, perfect shift and to add more insult, the lights just started flickering really bad (4K miles), most noticable when I drive it into the garage. Really flickers bad!
    Hay, I am not new to Honda's, as this is my 5th one, my last being a 2001 Accord EX V6, awesome car, poor brakes but thats about it after 135,000 mi.
    My 2008 Accord is the worst of all, and it rides like crap and even the clutch is weak. Maybe the V6 is a lot better, outside of the flickering lights, seems everyone like them. Stay away from the 4 banger 5spd!
  • Options
    dana18dana18 Member Posts: 1
    During rush hour on Valentine's day car just instantly shut down while idling at a traffic light on busy boulevard at dusk. Lights still worked, windows and moonroof would open but not close, and car wouldn't start again. In fact car couldn't be taken out of park without inserting key into slot next to shifter. The car is an EX 4-cyl with 4300 miles. Honda dealer replaced 50 amp fuse labeled "IG" (actually part of a multiple $28 fuse block). Honda advised dealer to jiggle wiring harness to try to get problem to reoccur. The problem didn't reoccur even though they drove it for 4 days. I haven't heard of defective fuses before, so I'm suspicious that the fuse blew due to an intermittent defect in the ignition switch, the component that the fuse protects. Or, possibly the wiring to the switch. I suspect that the "fix" was not permanent and that the car will once again shutdown without any warning! I really liked the car until this happened. Now I have to stick to the right lane when I'm on the freeway. Has anyone else had this serious safety issue?
  • Options
    parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    The other day, while trying to park, I scrapped the alloy wheel rubbing it against the curb. It is scratched around the edge and a gash on the front face of the rim. Does anyone know how I can at least dress it up to make it look better.
  • Options
    classact1classact1 Member Posts: 6
    The popping sound comes from the speaker itself. It is louder than the station that is playing, and happens whether I try playing a station or a CD. This week was warmer, but I still had the problem one morning when it was around 32 degrees outside. Once the car warms up (about a minute) the popping stops.

My dilemma about bringing it to the dealer is that they will not be able to recreate the problem since the car will be warmed up long before it even gets to the dealer (1/2 hour away).
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Do you have a small voice recorder? If you do, try recording the pop by placing the recorder next to the bad speaker. Try playing it back to see if the pop is clear. If you get a good recording, talk to the dealer before making a possible wasted trip, but maybe they will be willing to replace the defective speaker based on the recording. Factory speakers don't cost much, so they may go for it.

Good luck,

Mrbill
  • Options
    elliott2elliott2 Member Posts: 64
    We purchased a 2008 Accord sedan with V6/nav. It's the worst Accord we've ever had. The car originally started to vibrate at 55 mph and above. Now it starts around 35. While driving on a flat highway today with the cruise control on, the car felt like it was shifting gears every few minutes even though the speed was not changing and the highway was flat.

Has anyone noticed that when the gas tank is full (and down to 3/4 full), the gas sloshes when you stop or start?

If anyone is looking to purchase a 2008 Honda Accord, I strongly recommend against it until Honda figures out how to repair the defects in the 2008 model year.
  • Options
    "...If anyone is looking to purchase a 2008 Honda Accord, I strongly recommend against it until Honda figures out how to repair the defects in the 2008 model year..."

That is a strong position to take. How long have you had your Accord and what do you know about the defects in other Accord? Did you take it to the dealer to check from the first day? Or do you think that is a waste of your time.
    My 08 V6 w/ Navi is working as designed and has been from the day one. It now has over 2000 miles on it. The norm is not that they are all defective and if one has a working one then they got lucky. On the contrary, there is always a few that come out with problems and need to be fixed (if the problem is duplicated by an objective person). V6 Camry is notorious for having problems and Malibu? Let's not go there.
  • Options
    sotissotis Member Posts: 6
    have the same identical problem with the rear speaker,took it to dealer had
    speaker replaced.I still have the same problem ,disconnected the speaker
    until something more serious happens.My gut feel is that that speaker is part
    of the noise cancelling circuitry and the problem is there.My car is japanese built
    purchased mid september.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    That technique applies to painted wheels. The Accords are typically clear coated aluminum around the perimeter, although I don't know what the 08 has.

Mrbill
  • Options
    macsanmacsan Member Posts: 27
    I have a 08 Accord EX sedan with less than 200 miles on it. I just noticed a weird noise like a blot rattling and it only happens when I go over a bump or turn right quickly or when backing out of my driveway .(which is on an incline a has a slight drop off at the end of it) Its quite loud at times and has startled my wife and I . I pulled out the spare and looked under it for a loose nut/bolt etc.. none found. I can't figure it out ... any ideas?

Thanks Brian
  • Options
    Thanks, The scratched rim in the picture looks just like mine!
  • Options
    musicejrmusicejr Member Posts: 11
    Today I was driving too work... I heard a pop noise come from the area where my shifter is.... I thought maybe it was something hitting the bottom of the car.

I heard it again about 10mins later. Same Spot, Same Sound.

Then tonight on the way hone from work, the same issue.

I've got 300 miles on my car.

Any thoughts, comments, or ideas?
  • Options
    rtxbobrtxbob Member Posts: 8
    On my Ridgeline when I remotely unlock the doors, the domes lights come on. This does not happen with my 2008 Accord. It is completely dark inside and I doubt if this is the way it is supposed to be. Do I need to take it into the dealer??
  • Options
    bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Check to see if there is a switch to make the light active when unlocking, and opening the door. If it does not, then perhaps take it to a dealer and ask them.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    There should be a switch on the dome light, with three positions. Try setting that switch to the middle position. If that doesn't work, I'd take it to the dealer and ask them.
  • Options
    rtxbobrtxbob Member Posts: 8
    Thanks everybody. Yes there is a two position switch overhead, on and off. That took care of the problem.
  • Options
    sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    I have driven an Accord and checked the engine compartment. When trying to shut the hood I noticed the support arm tends to shift positions even though it is in the secured position and will lay on top of the radiator area, prohibiting the hood from closing securely.

Seems like a poor design. Maybe it is the fact that so many people have looked at the car on the lot, the arm bushing may have worn a little.

Later, Brad
  • Options
    brm128brm128 Member Posts: 4
    I am at 5100 miles on my '08 EX-L 4 cyl and the oil life still shows 50%, yet I got the automated mailer I received from the dealer that shows recommended 5000 mile oil change intervals which is what I used to do anyway on my older cars. Should I go ahead and take it in or wait until the computer tells me it's time?
  • Options
    WAIT until you reach 15% oil life before taking the car in. The car comes from the factory with a special type of oil for the break-in process, and should be left in the engine for a normal oil-change duration.

Congrats on the new Honda! :)

TheGrad

2006 Accord EX I4, ~30,000 mi (clicked over yesterday ;))
    1996 Accord LX I4, ~ 179,000 mi
  • Options
    Beside what "the graduate" said, I would also add that keep in mind that most likely you will go through the same scenario in the future. You will get mailers at about 5000 miles but if you do mostly freeway driving your service minder will give you about 8000-9000 miles between oil changes. That's what I have been getting with my 06 Pilot. I would just follow the service reminder, not the mailer. The manual says if you don't get to the 15% mark within a year, should change the oil once a year.
  • Options
    :D Bingo!
  • Options
    seekingperfectseekingperfect Member Posts: 8
    I agree. I just upgraded from a Nissan Versa. I hear a lot of static on strong stereo broadcasts. Static is more annoying than mono. If there were only a way to turn off static...
  • Options
    ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem opening fuel filler door on a 2008 V6 EXL Honda Coupe? On mine it takes two people to open, one to push down on lever on floor the other to push in on door and then let go until it opens. Once you open it it will work for a few hours and then not open again. I've added more grease to plunger but that did not solve problem; any suggestions?
  • Options
    Take it to your dealer and get it adjusted. I had the same problem in my 2006 Accord sedan; a small rubber piece just needed to be moved around a little bit; it was that way when brand new. They fixed it while I stood there watching; took 30 seconds. I bet yours is the same.
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Sometimes upon the first press of my fuel door release button my door doesn't open either- but always opens after the second try...
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    I suspect an alignment problem with my Accord. I just fininshed my first long trip on this car - a 600 mile trip from MA to VA yesterday and noticed this problem. The wheels pulled to the left side when I stayed at the fast lane. So then I stayed at the right lane yet i still had to pushed the steering wheel clockwise in order to go straight.
    Does anyone experience the same thing?
    I plan to bring the car to a Honda dealer to have them check the alignment. I wonder if they will charge me for that since there is only 2200 miles on it (after the trip).
    Are there any suggestion what I should tell the dealer or who i should talk to first? Thank you for any help.
  • Options
    They will probably tell you that a little "pull" to the left is normal. There is a tolerance such as how many feet to the right after having traveled so many miles (I don't remember the exact numbers but have seen it on line). If it pulls more than that they will need to do something. On my car they said that was due to the tires and rotated the the two front tires, it seems to be okay now but I'll need to put some more miles on it to make sure. In either case, the alignment is covered under the warranty for the first 12000 miles so you should be okay. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    The post directly above indicates that your alignment is covered for the first 12,000 miles. I hope that is true!! However, in my experience (but never with Honda) the dealership won't fix your alignment after the first 1000-2000 miles. The problem is, alignment can be knocked out by driving over pot holes, hitting curbs etc. But, I think you should take it back to the dealer and have them check to confirm whether or not it is within specs. I have never been charged for having my alignment checked.

With regard to the pull - I love Hondas because I have never had the car pull when it is aligned. If you are in the slow (right) lane and your car is still pulling to the left (and up the crown of the road), I think something is wrong.

Of course, a pull is not necessarily created by your alignment. Make sure all your tires are properly inflated to equal pressures. Over time, uneven tread wear also can cause odd pulling. But, this should not be an issue in a new car.

If the alignment is within specs and your tires are all evenly inflated and there is no obvious uneven tread on your tire, I would have them take off the tires to make sure that you don't have one with a manufacturing defect.

As I said, I have always loved my Hondas because they drive super straight :) ----as opposed to the GM SUVs I've owned which never drove straight even after multiple alignment jobs :(
  • Options
    diuneidiunei Member Posts: 23
    Thank you very for the replies. You guys ar awsome. :)
    I checked all four tire pressure right after the trip and they are the same: 35front and 33rare.

I have scheduled an appointment for next week and will see how it goes.
  • Options
    medic78medic78 Member Posts: 11
    I noticed while stopped at a red light, I need to really press on the brakes to prevent motion. This is the first time driving a Honda and not sure if it's the norm. I normally would place the weight of my foot with a little push to stop the vehicle. Do you all experience the same thing?
  • Options
    That's the case with my 2006 Accord; it likes to idle forward, more-so than my 1996 does. No biggie, as my dad's 2003 and 2005 Accords were the same way and never experienced any drivetrain trouble.
  • Options
    Yep, same here, experienced the same thing, no problem though,
    Sometimes, I don't realize I am not pressing hard enough, and look out the window
    and notice, wait, I am moving ever so slightly. haha. Oh well. no biggie.
  • Options
    Yeah, well...

I got "no biggied" into a $250 rear-bumper repair when a 2007 Honda Pilot rolled into me in the Wendy's drive-thru. The lady was reading. :sick: I was in the middle of saying "no pickles or onions" when I got hit.

Got a freshly painted bumper though (on my 1996), the only part of my old Honda that had any sign of wear (the clearcoat was peeling) now looks great! :)
  • Options
    gimme789gimme789 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am new to the forum. Bought my 2008 EX in November of 2007, now has 3000 miles on it. Up till now, I have loved the car. I made my second road trip this past weekend, and am now noticing rattles/buzz from ( I think ) the front passenger door. The sounds are as follows :

1) On a rougher highway surface, a buzz which sounds like a pair of sunglasses rattling in the door storage compartment. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the compartment.

2) When going over expansion strips on the highway, I hear a rattle which is essentially the same sound as previously described, however, a very short duration.

3) When accelerating from a stop, I hear a buzz also (esp 1500 to 2000 rpm )

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the noises are coming from the front passenger door.

I drove a 1990 Accord for over 17 years, and never heard any noises like this. This car is only 3 months / 3000 miles !!!!

Has anyone else had this same, or similar problem ?

Will Honda fix this under warranty ?

I hate this noise. If I wanted a car with rattle, I would have bought GM

thx, Tom
  • Options
    Don't worry, its totally okay. It is such an easy fix! It really is, Not a big deal. I took my accord to the dealer and they fixed it right then and there. Getting a couple rattles in the door is normal. You slam everyday, and even at that, it takes more beating that other parts. So just take it in there, and tell them it is your door, and they will simply take off the panel, which is held by a couple screws and tighty everything up inside, and it'll be fixed.

Even honda will have couple rattles hear and there, but nothing like other models. It is typically because something in the door is wiggling. Hey, your driving a Honda. Be proud! Have pride!
  • Options
    mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    I'm thinking of leasing for 48 months - am aware that warranty is 36 months. I'm assuming that the Accord is a pretty safe bet, repair-wise - and that nothing too outrageous will happen in during months 37 - 48, assuming gentle driving & normal wear & tear. Any comments from board members?
  • Options
    The powetrain warranty is 5yr/60k miles, remember that! :)
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I purchased an EX coupe in late October - it too has a rattle/noise coming from the passenger door- it doesnt do it all the time- and after having the car looked at twice- the problem cannot be "duplicated" - so I've learned to live with it- and turn up the radio -

In any event I may trade in anyway for a 2011 Civic when the next gen comes out- provided Honda doesn't mess it up...

Hopefully you'll have more success finding the problem than I... Good luck
  • Options
    gimme789gimme789 Member Posts: 6
    I wouldn't accept that "can not be duplicated" BS. Take your salesman or service manager for a ride and let them hear it for themselves. Thats what I'm gonna do. I will never be able to ignore it. That noise makes a nice car seem like a cheap Hyundai. (:
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Any rattle can be found. Even if it takes removing parts, until the rattle stops, then you've found the culprit. Usually it doesn't take such drastic measures, but it is very effective at last resort.
  • Options
    wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    I would suggest you google: honda transmission problems. This seems to have been a problem with hondas (including ours) form a very long time and seems to be something that continues in hondas - not just accords, but across the board.
  • Options
    not just accords, but across the board.

Hardly across the board, my friend. No 4-cylinder vehicles were ever affected (that includes the majority of Accords, all Civics and Civic Si, all CR-Vs, all Fits, all Elements, Preludes). It was a select group of V6 Accords (some from Gen VI, and 2003-early build 2004 model V6 Accords, as well as some Odyssey vans (our 2000 wasn't affected, nor was my aunt's 2005 Odyssey). Those transmissions were given a massive warranty (7 years/100k miles I think?), and owners who did pay out of pocket before the warranty was extended were reimbursed by Honda.

Happy Hondaing.

TheGrad
  • Options
    Have any of you listened to make sure the "rattle" isn't coming from the gear shifter. I only ask because my AT gear shifter makes a very distinct noise, particularly when its cold, when hitting bumps or accelerating. However, the noise I am hearing is much like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together - not so much a rattling noise. Its not a huge deal, but it is getting worse with time (i'm at 6500 miles now) and I think I'm actually going to take it to the dealer to see if they can do something about it. I'm always very reluctant to do that because, IMHO, the dealership often do more harm then good when removing panels and searching for rattles.

I mention this because, when I first heard it, i thought it was coming from the passenger side of the car.
  • Options
    wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    I'm thinking of leasing for 48 months - am aware that warranty is 36 months. I'm assuming that the Accord is a pretty safe bet, repair-wise - and that nothing too outrageous will happen in during months 37 - 48, assuming gentle driving & normal wear & tear. Any comments from board members?

Would recommend you google: honda transmission problems. They've had a problem "across the board for years"

the grad added: Hardly across the board, my friend. No 4-cylinder vehicles were ever affected (that includes the majority of Accords, all Civics and Civic Si, all CR-Vs, all Fits, all Elements, Preludes). It was a select group of V6 Accords (some from Gen VI, and 2003-early build 2004 model V6 Accords, as well as some Odyssey vans (our 2000 wasn't affected, nor was my aunt's 2005 Odyssey). Those transmissions were given a massive warranty (7 years/100k miles I think?), and owners who did pay out of pocket before the warranty was extended were reimbursed by Honda.

Obviously, i would guess the grad, like a number of others on this site, have a vested interest in honda. Our 4 cyl 2000 accord, like several years before and after, were impacted by the transmission problems. Yes, we got the warranty extended (got a new 36/36 warranty on the rebuilt tranny put in but it was as bad as the first one the day we got it out of the shop). IF u google honda transmission problems i believe u will find honda has had many transmission issues involving many of their models and years - complaints up to and including the 2007 model accords. And, yes they extend the warranties instead of fixing the problems - and those with the VCM problems can probably anticipate the same dealing with honda. Instead of fixing the problem, they will extend the warranty. But do google: honda transmission problems and you will be amazed at the problems they've had (including 4 cylinder accords in a number of years). Then make your call as to what you want to put your money into.
  • Options
    Wayne21 ----- Try this ---- Google transmission problems in any Toyota product you like, any Nissan product you like, any Chevrolet product, any Ford product, Chrysler product, etc, etc, etc, etc,. Turns out their mechanical - and they fail. You'll find LOTS of transmission posts on every brand made!

You need to go read Grad's other posts before you accuse him of having a vested interest in Honda . . . .. He is one balanced dude :P For starters, try the "Help Me Choose" thread . . .
  • Options
    I took my 08 Accord into the dealership today for its first oil change (only 50% oil life used - but I just couldn't get myself to go any more than 6500 miles without changing my oil. . . . it almost killed me to go that far :sick: )

Anyway -- they found a fix for the noisy gear shifter I have written about. Apparently, there was a clip under the center console and gear shift housing that was not "fully engaged." Apparently, they took it apart, realligned all the parts to their proper position, slipped on "the clip" and everything is better now. We'll see when I pick it up -- but apparently they think they have it fixed. . . :)

Also, I have had consistently squeaky brakes since the car was almost new. The dealership checked the brakes and said there was an unusual amount of break-in brake dust around the brake pads and all over the rotors. He cleaned them well and thought that might solve the problem --- again, we'll see.
  • Options
    Vested interest in Honda? Nah... I've got Hondas, but certainly wouldn't replace my current Honda Accord with the 2008. It's much too large, and interior styling and quality seems to have taken a downturn. Personally, if something happened to my 2006, I'd look hard at the Altima. I've also been urging my parents to drive the "new" Taurus; it looks like a screaming bargain, and they're after a powerful, reasonably luxurious, comfortable highway cruiser for under $25k. The Taurus Limited fits that bill better than any Honda (they currently have a Civic which would stay in the line-up, just adding this new cruiser for trips).

Bug makes a good point. I googled transmission problems for brands from Acura (370,000 hits) to Volvo (2,060,000 hits). Guess what, all of the brands I entered, even obscure ones such as Saab (2,000,000 hits) had numbers over 300,000 links from which to choose. Even Datsun had 360,000 hits.

Wayne, would you please link me to a post on here about transmission problems from a 4-cylinder Accord that is fairly new (say, 1998-present)? As a 4-cylinder Accord owner, I'd love to see it! :)

Thanks,

TheGrad

P.S. I searched by typing BRAND NAME HERE transmission problems
  • Options
    mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
  • Options
    musicscenemusicscene Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 2008 for 3 months. In the morning the am radio is better but by the afternoon and evening it gets lots of interference. I went to the dealer last night and tried another radio just like mine in another 2008 and it was clear as can be. I'm bringing my car in on Monday to be looked at. I'm glad I drove in last night because I'm sure the service rep will tell me it's just normal. NO WAY!