Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    djconnerdjconner Member Posts: 10
    I've had the same problem with my new 2009 V6 coupe on a couple occasions. The XM is still displaying everything correctly (song titles, etc.), just no sound. Restarting the car fixed it, but nothing else I tried did.
  • Options
    jrj620jrj620 Member Posts: 2
    I was reading in one of the car magazines (Motor Trend or Car and Driver) that in their long term test car (2008 Accord V6) that they needed to replace the rear break pads at about 15000 miles. Can this be true? Has anyone else experienced this very early replacement?
    I had a 2003 Accord V6 and I needed to replace the rear pads at 40,000 and thought that was early.
  • Options
    rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    I've got an 08 accord with 22,000 miles on it and the brakes are working great so far. My previous accord was an 04 model and it went about 40,000 miles before it needed brakes all around.
  • Options
    Several times while driving at 65mph, this accord has stalled. When I try to accelerate, there is a hesitation/stall for about 2-3 seconds then it jumps and jerks then finally speeds up. The hesitation/stall feels like the motor died but it doesn't. I've tried gas at different stations and it still continues. I've also noticed if I use 87 octane, this car just gets horrible gas mileage and very little power. The book calls for 87 octane. I've put in 89-90 octane and it runs better with increased power and mileage but it too stalls out for several seconds at various times. Anyone know what is causing this?
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I would take it to Honda service asap. It appear the electronics of your drive-by-wire system may not be working properly. Any codes or lights on the dash indicating any problems?
  • Options
    brandersbranders Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I wanted to post an update about my brake noise problem and inform everyone of some information I received yesterday.

I bought a '09 Accord in December and ever since 2000 miles (3100 now) the brakes have made the same horrible high-pitched noise. I have taken my car to Honda 4 times now. The first time they checked the problem but could not find anything. The second time they replaced the front pads and resurfaced the rotors. This stopped the problem for a day, then the noise came back with a vengance, louder and more often.

I opened a case with Honda's custmomer care line which was really no help because they were getting all of their information from me or the dealership. The service manager at my dealership would never ride in the car with me, saying that he trusted me and didn't need to hear it. The third time I took it to Honda I had a technician ride with me and finally he heard the noise. The technician told me that the noise is a result of a defective brake pad and that replacing more parts will not do anything. Further, the dealership could not get authorization to replace more parts.

Not satisfied with this answer, I scheduled a meeting with Honda's district service representative, who I met with yesterday. He and the dealership's service manager rode in the car with me and the noise was worse than ever. The district rep immediately gave authorization to replace the rotors and I was hopeful that this would solve the problem.

A few hours later the district represetative calls back and says that replacing the rotors will not solve the problem. He said that he just got off the phone with Honda's engineering department in Torrance, CA and said that they have come up with a fix for the defective brake pad and that now they are in the process of working with their suppliers to get the new pad out the door.

I had told him that the customer care line had suggested that I call the BBB to initiate that stage of my complaint and that I've looked into the state lemon law and if I had to I would file suit. He maintained that if I gave them a few weeks he was confident that they would have replacement pads that would solve the problem.

I don't know if others have heard this story before or if it really is true. I am trying to get confirmation of this from the customer line as we speak. I would suggest that for those that have not complained to their dealership yet to do so in the hopes that more complaints will encourage Honda to deal with this issue sooner if they haven't already.

As stated numerous times on here before, it is completely unacceptable for a brand new car to make this kind of noise, not to mention sounding worse than my 1994 Accord that sits in my garage.
  • Options
    When my car stalls, it never shows any codes or lights anywhere. I have also noticed a decrease in fuel mileage too. This 08 accord does not run nor have the mileage that my 04 accord had. Both are v6's. The 08 accord sputters from time to time when I floor it. I've tried different brands of gas, fuel treatments, etc and nothing seems to help. This 08 accord also has that ECO engine thing that starts out using 6 cylinders then down to 04 cylinders then 3 cylinders. I hate it. The car jerks back and forth from time to time as it decides what cylinders to run and how many.

GM tried this and it failed...why does Honda think it will work? The actions are the same on boht the GM and the Honda. Both performed horrible and got poor fuel mileage.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    This 08 accord also has that ECO engine thing that starts out using 6 cylinders then down to 04 cylinders then 3 cylinders. I hate it. The car jerks back and forth from time to time as it decides what cylinders to run and how many.

GM tried this and it failed...why does Honda think it will work?

Um, whatdya mean? Surely you aren't comparing the 2009 technology to the Cadillac engine of the early eighties.

They currently have a "Displacement on Demand" system in their 5.3L V8 engine, as well as in their 3.9L V6. I don't recall hearing of "horrible performance" or "poor fuel mileage" for their size. Chrysler's Hemi uses something similar.
  • Options
    I've got several friends that have this same V6 08 Accord and they too have told me they are feeling jerks when the car activates the ECO. They too told me their performance is very lacking and their gas mileage is not as high as it was on earlier models.

My next car will definitely not be a Honda or some other car that utilizes this ECO stuff. I'll never buy another GM and will definitely not buy a Ford or Chrysler/Dodge product.

Had the salesman told me that this car had this ECO on it at the time I was thinking about buying it, I would have gone shopping for a different manufacturer. GD, I hate this ECO crap!
  • Options
    You didn't test drive it?
  • Options
    Yes I test drove it but I never let the engine just sit at a certain speed for this test drive. I ran the crap out of it since I have a heavy foot and I wanted to make sure it had some power and cornering ability. Thus, the salesman should have told me about this crappy eco feature as I was testing it and talking about it with him. I asked all sorts of questions but if one doesn't know or is not aware of this ECo thingie, then it is impossible to ask questions about it. I will never do business with that dealership or with Honda again. If I wanted crap, then I would have bought GM, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, or Mercedes Benz.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I asked all sorts of questions but if one doesn't know or is not aware of this ECo thingie, then it is impossible to ask questions about it.

With all due respect, Honda spent a lot of time and money advertising VCM beginning with the 08 Accord (it was used previously on other models). Brochures, Honda's website, advertising... it was everywhere. Hard to believe you missed it. :confuse:
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'd recommend giving Honda a chance to fix this. Sure, I wouldn't be happy about it, but at least they've identified a problem and are willing to address it, unlike the poor folks who have VCM/ECO issues.
  • Options
    I respectfully agree with tallman. I imagine it is right on the window-sticker, too (powertrain information is usually the first thing listed). Spending that much, I'd read as much literature on the vehicle (reviews, the sticker, brochures) as possible.

Can't go back in time though, so best of luck; sorry about the situation.
  • Options
    LornalsLornals Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new car and was seriously thinking about an 09 Accord EX-L (V-6). However, today I heard a (potentially) disturbing comment about high oil consumption. Can anyone tell me if this is, in fact, a problem? I'm aware that new engines have a 'breaking in' period, but I don't know for how long this period should last. I'm hoping to keep whatever car I purchase for a very long time, but it has to be known for relatively low maintenance costs, upkeep, and reliability. Comments???
  • Options
    dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My 08 EX-L V6 has been very reliable, very low maintenance cost and has required the addition of 2 quarts of oil over and above regular oil changes. The Maintenance Minder suggests oil changes based on my driving style, every 7,500 miles and I've had to add a quart of oil @ 6,000 miles & 12,000 miles. 16,500 miles currently on the odometer.
  • Options
    FYI, The salesman and Honda should have given me some sort of brochure or informed me of this crappy eco thingie. They didn't offer and they sure as heck did not advertise it and have yet to advertise the fact that ECO exists on any models. I had seat problems in the beginning and tried to get honda to help fix it but they more or less laughed at me. So screw HONDA!
  • Options
    There have been television commercials touting Honda's VCM, it's mentioned in all reviews dealing with the V6 versions, the brochure from the dealership mentions it etc,etc. A little due diligence on your part before shelling out $25-28,000 on your Honda or any other car, was in order. Having said that, VCM is noticeable and by varying degrees in different cars. A good 6 speed auto tranny would have probably returned as much if not more fuel savings and a shifting transmission going thru it's progression of gears is far more acceptable than the on again off again surging that VCM produces.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I'm not going to discuss the merits or otherwise of VCM. Some are unhappy with it (there's a VCM thread around here describing the complaints) while others have no problems.

However, for those who might read these messages, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression about Honda hiding the fact that the Accord V6 comes with VCM. They are quite proud of it, in fact.

On their website-- When you click on the Accord, you get this page:
    Honda Accord
    Under the heading "Powerful", VCM is the second bullet.

The brochure has a whole page (p.11) dedicated to VCM and how it works. It has pictures and everything.
    Accord Brochure

Fortunately, people here have great forums to help them to do additional research besides what any carmaker might offer through advertising, what is on their website, or through written info.
  • Options
    I've yet to see any Honda commercials revealing the VCM crap. FYI, my 08 honda has a 5speed auto...not a 6 speed auto. It is not as responsive as the 04 and it does not handle as well as the 04 nor does it get as good mileage as the 04 accord v6. Screw Honda!
  • Options
    Sorry, I fail to see how it's Honda's fault for not knowing what you were buying, or for taking a through test-drive. They advertise their VCM everywhere, as tallman pointed out. Also, if its on the window-sticker, it should be common-sense that the salesperson shouldn't have to itemize each particular detail listed there.
  • Options
    jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    We get the fact you're unhappy about the "eco" thing, but how is it Honda's fault that you didn't know about it? They make no attempt to hide it, in fact they advertise on their websites and in print ad's and on sites like Edmunds and others. It existed in the previous model Accord Hybrid, the previous and current Pilot, the current Odyssey, and now the current model Accord. :confuse:
  • Options
    mwest75mwest75 Member Posts: 6
    Branders, thank you very, very much for posting your information here. My wife and I leased an '09 Accord back in September and have had the exact same problem with the brakes since November. After two trips to Honda, they did the same thing with rotors and pads that you described and it was only a temp fix (also as you described). At this point we're fed up and plan to follow your lead in contacting the Service Manager at our dealership and ultimately the District Manager as you did. How did you manage to get the District Manager's contact info by the way?

Once again thank you for posting your dilemma and if I have any luck in finding/gaining a solution, I'll certainly share it.
  • Options
    edk57edk57 Member Posts: 6
    My 2008 Accord EX-L V6 burns and consumes one quart of Oil per 1000 mile. There Technical experts state that is Normal. Also, the brakes on this car has a squeaky noise when cold and the dashboard get filled with white residue from the heat/AC vents. I definitely don’t recommend this car to anyone.
  • Options
    rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Regarding the oil consumption, your technical experts are plain WRONG. I have the same problem, I have escalated this issue with Honda America, Area Honda Rep and Dealer Service Mgr. The process is you need to request an oil consumption test for several 1000 mile cycles and if your car uses 1000 quart per thousand or more they must FIX IT. My car is going in to have the short block replaced today. It appears to be a ring problem on a few motors since only a few customers have had this experience. Honda acceptable specifications for oil consumption are 1 qt per 1000 but close to that they must do something for you. Finally I have noticed that the older my oil is the more it consumes, after a oil change it degrades from 1200m per qt, to <1000m per quart so you have to do at least 3 or 4 thousand mile tests with the same oil in place.
    Roger
  • Options
    edk57edk57 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for a very helpful reply. I will make my dealer re-do the oil consumption test for several thousands miles as you recommended, and I will let them know that Honda is fixing engines due to ring problems... please post any future progress on your engine and I&#146;ll do the same. Again thanks a million.
  • Options
    keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    When did the noise first begin? I have about 5K on my Accord with no noise yet, but I have had that squeal on a previous Accord and it drove me nuts. Any others having this problem on the '09's. I'll definitely be more than peeved if it becomes a problem with mine.

You guys have a right to complain...
  • Options
    frustrated2009frustrated2009 Member Posts: 3
    Happy to be in good company. We have the same problem. What could it be? :confuse: Where could the oil be going? We have No indication where it might be going- no leaks, puddles, smoke etc. We've got a 2005 Honda Odyssey that's eating oil like there's no tomorrow. It was a gradual problem at first. Now, it's really become a problem and an inconvenience! :mad: The van finally broke down on Christmas eve. Check engine light was on and the van just wouldn't accelerate past 50 after gasing up while on a trip out of state. :sick: We had it towed to the nearest dealer who kept it for 3 weeks. They replaced gaskets, an O-ring, Fuel injector assy, catalytic converter, spark plugs etc. It's driveable now, but after two weeks we checked the oil level and it was two quarts low on oil since we took possession of it two weeks ago. Took it into the Honda dealer where we purchased it. They told me last year that it would take several days if not a week to diagnose the oil consumption problem. This was before the partial engine failure we experienced Christmas eve. Same day they called me and told me the van was ready for pick-up. They'd checked it out. Changed the oil. Couldn't find a thing. Bring it back in two weeks. HUH??? Ridiculous!!! Any suggestions? We're still covered by an extended warrantee for 20,000 more miles. Too bad the catalytic converter wasn't.
    Diagnosis at engine failure: "Caused by Found 30 PSI in cylinder one. 130 in all others removed head and found exhaust valve burnt through." In English this means?? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    decattedecatte Member Posts: 1
    Same XM radio problem for my 2008 I4 EXL - Happens about once a week or so (three times this week alone!). I've found that it is caused by either just starting the car, or sometimes by channel surfing with the knob; but it's clearly not at all related to obstruction.

At first, the sound stutters in-and out, alternating ½ seconds with and without audio. When I try another channel - nothing. The radio does register the channel, song title & artist, but will not process audio on any channel. Not even the hiss you get with an obstruction.
    Since it still is processing channel info, my guess is that there is a glitch in the XMs memory that causes it looses the ability to process audio. Just a guess - I've had a lot of quiet time to think about it.

Has any body found resolution to this issue with Honda? Please let me know.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    Since this is my first Honda after being a Toyota driver for many years I am still getting used to a "drivers car". I've noticed the drive train seems to whine more than I'm used to although the shifting is very crisp. Is this an Accord characteristic or should I be concerned? Overall I really like my new Honda.
  • Options
    That's to be expected. Toyota's are more isolated than comparable Hondas and Mazdas. Don't worry, and enjoy the new Accord. :)
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    My mom bought an 08 LX-P right when they came out in or around Sept. of 08, it had the same whine but after a thousand miles or so it went away... It must just be related to the 177 hp engine b/c a couple months later I bought an EX coupe with the 190hp and it didn't have the whine... go figure...
  • Options
    ArivarashanArivarashan Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

When I serviced my 2008 Accord AT for 10000Kms in Honda service centre, informed me that they found minor transmission fluid leak hence want to replace the transmission assembly using honda warranty.

I don't find any reduction in fluid level but I don't why they are doing this. I suspect they will use my new transmission assembly for their own and replace me with new one as my car is in warranty period. Is it possible?

As they are the authorized service centre I am not able to avoid their advice also. As my vehicle is under warranty period I could not take it to other service centre.

How to check whether they replaced my transmission assembly with new one or old one? Can anyone advice me?

Regards,
    Ari
  • Options
    I'd try a different dealer, make sure they come to the same conclusion.
  • Options
    beechjet21beechjet21 Member Posts: 26
    "We're still covered by an extended warrantee for 20,000 more miles. Too bad the catalytic converter wasn't".

The catalytic converters have a federally mandated 8 year or 80,000 warranty for vehicles manufactured after 1995. Unless I misunderstood your post, it sounds like you got cheated.
  • Options
    rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    After 4 one thousand miles consumption tests which proved my engine was consuming 1 at per thousand. Honda replaced short block and front head. I am currently breaking in the new engine. Keep you all posted. Bad robot or rings in the engine!!! Persistence pays.
    Roger
  • Options
    mwest75mwest75 Member Posts: 6
    keitha3, the noise started well below 5,000. My wife drives the car sparingly and only recently passed 5,000. I'd say the brake noise started after roughly 500 miles. I initially told her to ignore it as I know new brakes can sometimes take some time to be broken in. However, after we reached 1,000 and beyond, had the rotors machined and pads replaced we still experience the noise. If you haven't yet encountered the noise, I'd say you're in the clear.
  • Options
    Mwest75,

I have an update for you. The following is an internal memo posted on driveaccord.net regarding our problem on the '09 Accord. You can search their forum under the "8th Generation" Accords. They are asking for '09s that fall within a certain range of VIN numbers to bring their car into the dealership. I actually just brought mine in today and they are replacing the rotors and pads and sending the old parts back to Honda. They have cautioned me that this is not a permanent fix, as the replacement parts are the same factory parts that are causing the problem, but hopefully it will hold over until Honda fixes the problem.

Asking to talk to the District Service Rep is like asking for the Wizard of Oz. They will not give out his contact info and he can only be reached through the dealership's service manager. I was told that he comes to my dealership once every two weeks and I had to get off work and meet him in the middle of the day. Even after we talked he said the only way to contract him is via the dealership. I understand that he probably doesn't want harassing calls, but none of us want a car that squeals whenever you try to stop either! Enough ranting.

Here is the memo:

To: All Honda Service Managers/Advisors

Re: Request For Parts: 2009 Accord (2Dr & 4Dr) Front Brake Noise

Print this iN message and provide a copy to the Shop Foreman and all Service Advisors.

Background
    American Honda (AHM) would like to collect front brake pads, rotors and calipers from certain 2009 Accords (2 door & 4 door / EX only) with a customer complaint of the front brakes squeaking or squealing.

Qualifiers
    AHM is interested only in 2009 Accords that meet the following requirements:

· Have no previous brake repairs of any kind.

· Accord EX ONLY starting with VIN:

1HGCP2***9A018106
    thru
    1HGCP2***9A999999

1HGCP3***9A007446
    thru
    1HGCP3***9A999999

1HGCS1***9A002794
    thru
    1HGCS1***9A999999

1HGCS2***9A001643
    thru
    1HGCS2***9A999999

JHMCP2***9C002071
    thru
    JHMCP2***9C999999

· The noise is coming from ONLY the front brakes.

· The complaint is ONLY squeaking or squealing.

Action Required
    If you have or know of such a vehicle call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group. TRS will record certain vehicle information and provide you with further instructions.

Thank you."
  • Options
    tomlematomlema Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain, I own a 2008 Honda Accord I believe I drive on the worst interstate in this country. I-4 corridor. I travel from Plant City to Tampa every day in and the past year of owning my 2008 Honda Accord, I have been hit with a rock or small stone 4 times. Each of which has crack the windshield. And just this week I will be having to replace the windshield again after getting hit with a rock or stone on 2/20/09. I am beginning to think there is a design flaw in the windshield. You are right the dealer will do nothing but refer you to a windshield repair company and American Honda will do nothing about this as well. I have filed claim with my insurance carrier however by doing so will only increase your rates. And the last repair cost $361.00 for an after market windshield. This can't go on too much longer. Is it the windshield or just bad luck. I have a friend who bought a honda CR-V the same time I bought my car and drives the same roads and he is still on the original windshield.

Tom
    Plant City, FL
  • Options
    brian83brian83 Member Posts: 6
    Now that's another thing to add to my list, I too was hit with a stone on the windshield and it cracked my windshield also. I wasn't going fast enough nor do I feel that the stone was large enough to do that kind of damage but it did. Along with all the other issues I have with this vehicle I think it is possessed.............
  • Options
    ming2ming2 Member Posts: 17
    I leased an Accord V6 coupe a little over a year ago and just went for my second oil change with 13,400 mi. on odometer. Besides the oil change notification on the dashboard "B1" also showed. I have no problem with having the oil change done but I was told that the "B1" maintenance had to be done also; which included rotating the tires for the second time, which I had done at the first oil change 6,500 mi. ago and a "Multi Point Vehicle Inspection" which cost me an additional $50.00 dollars. When I stated that I wasn't very happy about paying that amount for a vehicle inspection which with my other vehicle a Nissan is free everybody went silent. I'm afraid not to get the work done because it is a leased vehicle and when it comes time to turn it in they might come back and say that I didn't maintain it properly. Am I getting ripped off and what does anybody think about maitenance and when it gets time to turn in a lease? This second oil change and maintenance cost me a total of $95.00.
  • Options
    Same service on my 08 EX-L V6 cost me $135. Thru 17 months my total service expense is $193. I view this as a small cost to keep my car running as it should. It may appear that the additional $50 they charged you is uncalled for or could be absorbed by the dealership but if they actually did inspect all the items this inspection calls for then $50 is not out of line for the time it would take to perform the inspection. Time is money as they say and I don't take a business to task if they are simply taking care of business. My opinions offered here might be different if my financial situation had been altered by the current economic downturn but to date my income has remained stable. Believe me the service center at your dealership is juggling with all sorts of ways to remain profitable as are most businesses.
  • Options
    atl08accordatl08accord Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 - the XM radio sometimes loses signal (sometimes when it is really cloudy) - or sometimes when I change stations too fast. The display will still show the song that is playing - but no sound. It usually starts by skipping or sputtering. The ONLY way to clear this seems to be to turn the car off then back on - not exactly convienient. I have seen a few other posting's on the web with people who are having the same problem. See http://www.cardealercheck.com/forum/thread73893.html but I don't see any resolutions - I have taken the car in to the dealer - but they said they could not duplicate the problem - and there was nothing they could do ? Has anyone else experienced this issue ? I also called XM Radio - and they of course said to take my car to the dealer.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I would not worry about the leasing company coming back and saying you didn't maintain the vehicle properly. How can they prove that? You are free to have maintenance done at any shop, including doing it yourself. So unless your lease specifically says proof of maintenance is required, I wouldn't worry about it. I never do those "Multi point inspections", but that's just me.

If you Google whether or not rotating tires is required, you'll get differing opinions. Some say they never rotate tires but will replace them 2 at a time, usually front ones first, and save the cost of rotattions. Over the life of the tires that can add up to couple hundred bucks.
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Member Posts: 14
    Hello. I have a 2009 Honda Accord and it has some kind of feature where whenever I press the button on the key to unlock the car, the horn honks twice. It's quite annoying. I don't mind the one "honk" when I lock it, but two to open is annoying. My 2006 Accord didn't have that. I looked in the manual and couldn't find much. Something mentioned a valet button, but I couldn't find that anywhere either. Any help would be appreciated by me and my neighbors who are trying to sleep in the morning when I leave for work ;-)

Thanks,

BD
  • Options
    hondaowner10hondaowner10 Member Posts: 21
    My 2009 Accord doesn't do that. The lights blink when I unlock the doors using the remote but that's all. I would have it checked. It might just be the way your locks are programmed. My dealer asked me before I picked up the car how I wanted the locks programmed. Check with your dealer.
  • Options
    embarrassedembarrassed Member Posts: 2
    09 Honda Accord brakes ALWAYS sqweeling! with or without humidity, rain, shine, cold, hot....HELP!
  • Options
    embarrassedembarrassed Member Posts: 2
    is there a site where we can mass report this and forward it to honda so they can stop using the humidity excuse.?
  • Options
    See post #813. Call your dealer and Honda customer service to open a complaint file.
  • Options
    74357435 Member Posts: 40
    i have very loud rattles in the back of the car which seem to come from behind the rear seat and in front of the rear window as well as rattles in the area of the glove compartment. the car is one year old and has about 13,000 miles. are there any service bulletins on this anoying problem?