Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2008-2012) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• insider5775insider5775 Member Posts: 7
    Definetly change ALL the fluid! Using a synthetic is optimum, the current ATF breaks down with heat! BG synthetic works great! Plus they give you a $2000 Warranty change it before 36k then do it every 30k .no brainer and I work at a Honda Dlr
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    I test drove a 2009 EXL V6 yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. I am currently negotiating a final deal. In the interim, I read in detail the posts on the 2008 and 2009 Accord, and I am concerned to say the least. My biggest concerns are oil consumption, gas mileage and the braking issues that an awful lot of folks have commented on.

My '05 has been absolutely flawless, with the exception of a winshield creak that the dealer fixed back in December 2005.....I think I really need to reconsider getting a new one.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Remember, you're on a thread for repairs. There's not a "2008-2009 Accord Everything's Fine forum" so that all you read here makes it look worse than it really is.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My initial test drive of my 08 EX-L V6 Sedan back in Sept 07 left the same impression, I absolutely loved it and went on to purchase it. I can only offer my experiences regarding your 3 concerns. No squeaks or grinding from the brakes and a knowledgeable friend inspected them recently and felt I had about 50% life on the rear pads @ just under 20,000 miles. Front brakes weren't inspected as the rears seem to be subject to most of the negative comments. Sticker is spot on as far as fuel economy goes, 22 MPG overall for 20,000 miles. I've seen one tank @ a low of 17.5 mpg's and one @ a high of 32.16 mpg's many 28-31 on the hwy and many 19-21 city. I live in a hilly section of New England. The 2 oil changes that have been performed were both around 7,500 miles and in each case around 6,000 miles I had to add a quart. At nearly 5,000 miles since the last oil change it is down just a small amount on the dipstick, maybe a 1/2 a pint, nothing that requires any additions.

I don't regret the purchase and mostly the love is still there, just not in the absolute range.
    Thanks for your insight and impression, DP. I appreciate it.

You also make a very good point, graduate.

I will let you know what I decide. Thanks!
  • bduedebduede Member Posts: 2
    I just had the rear brakes replaced on my 2008 Accord LX-P at 31,000 miles. The dealer said they were at 0% and also tried to say it may be due to the parking brake being adjusted too tightly at the factory. Thus, they made the replacement free as a "one time goodwill." I foolishly did not as how much was left on the front brakes. Time will tell if this happens again at 60,000.
    Well, I made my decision and purchased a EXL 4 cylinder. I will let you know how it works out, as I put on the miles.

My son is happy...he got the "flawless" 2005 EXL V6! :D
  • yen_s_liuyen_s_liu Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Honda Accord has a humongous paint problem! I bought my brand-new Honda Accord in May 2008 at Round Rock Honda in Texas. A couple of months later, I noticed there were spots all over the car, the hood, roof, door, trunk top. In July 2009, I took my car to the dealership for problem analysis, and they told me it's caused by bird dropping and tree sap. They estimated to re-paint the car would cost $3,300. I trusted their judgement because I bought 4 Honda's from this dealership. In good faith, I took it to a body shop to repair the damage, which I used before. After the owner of the body shop examined my car, he concluded the paint is defective. In August 2009, I contacted the dealership and opened a case with Honda Customer Service. The dealership set me up to meet with Jerry Meade from American Honda Motor Co., from Dallas, Texas. Mr. Meade was very belligerent and re-iterated the paint damage is caused by bird dropping and tree sap. Mr. Meade's attitude was so hostile, at one point of time during our meeting, he threw the key of my vehicle back to me. A day later, Brian Magana from the Customer Service called me back. Brian stated the cause of the damage is environmental elements and the case is closed. He further stated there is no escalation and will not return any future calls from me. I retained an attorney, and under his suggestion, in November I located a paint/coating company in Pennsylvania to test the paint. In January 2009, I received the report , and the report concludes no organic contamination on the paint. In April 2009, my attorney wrote a letter to America Honda Co. and the dealership with the report attached. Within a week, American Honda replied and re-confirmed their prior decision. As I discussed this with my attorney to explore the possibility of taking legal actions, my attorney explained to me that the estimated cost is around $20,000 without the attorney fees. My attorney told me this case is not cost effective for me to pursue. I have been a loyal Honda customer, and America Honda will not help with the paint problem when their product is defective. Most of all, I feel very hurt. I feel I am powerless when it comes to going against the giant American Honda Co. I have pictures, report, and statement to show the facts, but I won't be able to legally make America Honda to step up the plate because of the cost involved.

I am looking for help. If you have any viable solution, please contact me at yen_s_liu@yahoo.com
  • foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    Honda agreed to replace my hood there a hole in it and also replace the evaporator the anti fungus coating is coming off its the coating on it
    this work is being done next week,, I have to rent a car as honda has no rental program unless you have the honda care .
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    You could try another Lawyer. This Lawyer obviously doesn't think your case is strong enough to win.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    Filing a lawsuit and taking it through a trial is very expensive. About twelve years ago I looked into suing my previous homes builder over a water issue in the basement. The lawyer said that I would need to put up about $10K as a retainer to cover getting it through trial. After the trial, if you win you can request the costs be placed on the defendant, but the inverse is also true should you loose.
    Quite often you will read that in the case of a car company, they will make the person take it all the way, then offer a settlement right before the court date for the trial (if you look to have a good case). Sadly it is cheaper and easier to fix it yourself than sue, unless there is a small claims court you can use instead. I envy people that have a lawyer in their family when it comes to this stuff.
    The normal cure for this issue is to trade it in with a moderate layer of road dirt at night.
    The paint on my car has a couple pinhead size areas under the clear coat with no color, and a thin white circle around it - from what I can find online they are probably 'solvent pops' on mine.
    The jury is out on my car in general, but it feels more 'americarish' than I like - I miss the old low dash, and the better build quality on the older ones.
  • edk57edk57 Member Posts: 6
    Roger,

How the new block is working for you? Did the oil consumption issue fixed. My car is at the dealer now to replace the short block, should I be aware of any issues when its time for me to pick it up. Thanks
  • rbbrickrbbrick Member Posts: 37
    Yes I have 6800 miles on the new short block and heads. Slight oil consumption 1/2 quart in 3200 miles.... it should get better over time.. But runs better than the old one more torque and smooth.
    I broke it in carefully during first 600 miles - no jack rabbit starts or high revs over 3500 rpms
    Thats about it .
    Roger :)
  • guitar4himguitar4him Member Posts: 19
    I need to replace the wipers on my 2008 Accord. There is some kind of weird cover over most of the wiper....they aren't exposed like most other vehicles. Anybody changed theirs yet who could offer some tips as to how to remove the covers without damaging them?

Ken
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    It sounds like you have "winter blades" on your car. If so, you need to replace the whole assembly, not just the rubber wiper part. If you do an online search on "Trico winter blades" you will find pictures to verify that's what you have.

Mrbill
  • guitar4himguitar4him Member Posts: 19
    I looked up the Trico winter blades that you suggested. This is not what is on my 2008 Accord. I've been changing wipers blades on cars for 30 years. What's on my Accord is unlike anything I've ever encountered before. The carrier for the blades is plastic and is in several sections. I'm still at a loss as to how to approach a replacement.

Ken
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    There is also a "beam blade" which looks like a frameless blade. I see Trico shows pics of them on their web site. Try www.tricoproducts.com and select the Neoform or Innovision blade.

Good luck

Mrbill
  • rkirchoffrkirchoff Member Posts: 65
    I have an 08 accord ex-l v6 and when my wipers needed changed, I opted for the new Rain-X wiper called Latitude, http://www.rainx.com/ , and I am extremely happy with them although they are a bit pricey. I installed them in less than 1 minute each.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    Did you try the Honda dealer? I'm sure they'll replace the blade inserts for a modest sum. The Rain-X website has their Lattitude blades priced at $39 before shipping/tax. It will be less at the dealer.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    I saw they were odd when I bought my 08 EX-L V6. They reminded me of a new style called 'flat blade' wipers.

For the how-to, have you checked the owner manual? Believe it or not, they have the directions on what looks to be page 332. if you don't have the manual, I found a pdf online at:
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AAD080/AAD0808OM.pdf

You can buy just refills from the dealer or online at:
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint08.html (scroll down to find the wiper refills).

The exploded parts breakdown is shown here:
    http://tinyurl.com/lqp363

From a press release, here is what they called them:
    • Flat-blade windshield wipers provide modern and upscale look.

Hope this is what you needed.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have a 2005 Accord and a 2009 Cadillac CTS. I purchased the Cadillac in January. I have had around 10 places where the paint bubbles up. They are small and very difficult to see. I took the car to the purchase dealer. I did not have to argue at all. They said they would repaint the hood, top and one quarter panel. This is one of the differences that I see with Honda vs an "american brand." Honda is very resistant to intervening and taking care of the situation. The only reason that that is not much of a problem is that my Honda has been so good.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A lot has to do with your dealer, I believe. My Honda dealer has done plenty of things "good-will" AFTER the warranty had expired over 100k miles ago (on my '96 Accord). Never had to argue for anything; they just offered.
    My Honda dealer sells only Honda parts and does not offer wiperblade refills such as RainX. I chose RainX since I love their Windshield Treatment and their Windshield Washer Fluid. At the time of my Latitude purchase, I was also given a free microfiber towel, a can of glass cleaner, and more of their original rainx windshield treatment.

In all of my 40 years of driving cars, pickups, and semi's, I have used alot of other wiper refills such as Trico which were junk and didn't last more than 6 months. Although the Latitude wipers are a bit pricey, so far they have lasted 9 months and are still doing just as good a job now as they were when they were new.
    I replaced the rear brakes on my 08 accord yesterday after having 33,000 miles on them. The service tech suggested I have the rotors turned to ensure fewer imperfections when matched with a new set of brake pads. I paid $206 and was told my front brakes would be replaced around 60-65,000 miles on my accord which was the mileage I remember replacing my front pads on my previous 04 accord.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    IMO, if the rotors are bad enough to need turning, I would replace them. Turning them only makes them thinner/weaker. I use the Honda wiper refills. They are less than $10 from handa-accessories.com. The owners manual has the directions for changing them. To each, his own. Happy Hondaing :)
  • chuckamuckachuckamucka Member Posts: 1
    I experienced the same rear brake problems at 22,000 miles and was shocked to know that they need to be replaced every 20,000 miles at a charge of roughly $200. Thanks for the info. on the website and I filed a complaint as well.
  • stopthenoisestopthenoise Member Posts: 4
    I just got the word today about the brake noise on my 2009 Honda Accord. First, afive weeks ago, they cleaned the front brakes and buffed the edges of the drums, that did not work. I brought it back two weeks ago and I brought a copy of the service memo. They then replaced the Front pads, and turned the front drums, that worked for a few hundred miles before the noise came back. I called for service today, and they now tell me there is a service memo JUST OUT, humm, must have not read the same memo I had given them weeks ago. Well the service manager said there is not currently a fix for the issue and when they receive the fix from Honda, I will be contacted.
  • hondadanhondadan Member Posts: 8
    Hey, folks. I'm new to this forum, and I've scanned through some of the many posts. I'd like to hear from people about their experiences with the 3.5 liter V6 in regards to oil consumption. I am a service manager and a technician for a Honda Dealership, and I'm trying to get a little more insight on this topic. For those of you experiencing unexplained consumption, I'd like to know your mileage, amount it is losing, and when it was first brought to your attention. For those of you who have had a repair (or an attempted repair) from a Honda dealer, I'd like to know what repair was performed or the explanation you got. If you did have a repair, did it fix the problem? I'm wrapping up my second V6 repair at my shop, and looking for others' stories so I may know more of what to look for. I'm determined to find the absolute cause of this issue, and would like to better know how to make a successful repair on the vehicle's first visit.

I don't know if there are any other Honda Technicians or Service Advisors/Managers on this forum, but if anyone has any questions for me or would like the perspective of someone who works on these vehicles daily, feel free to ask.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I bought my 08 EXL V6 in Aug 08, and at 50% oil life/approx 4200 miles, I had to add a quart of oil. I am now at 14,000+ miles and have not had to add oil since that one time. I was concerned at the time but now I see it as a one time incident. Curious, my 06 V6 never needed a drop in 42,000 miles.
  • frustrated2009frustrated2009 Member Posts: 3
    We had horrible oil consumption problems with our 2005 Odyssey. Actually, we had horrible problems with our local dealership who sold us our New 2005 Odyssey. :mad: It was VERY difficult to get them to even address the continual problem. Our Odyssey has ALWAYS needed a bit of oil. The problem only worsened. Finally, the Oil Clogged up the Catalytic Converter and burned up the head gasket. :sick: Unfortunately, it was Christmas Eve and we were en route to Grandma and Grandpa's house out of state in Utah. We live in LA, CA. The actual oil problem was not addressed when the car was repaired in UT. Only the catalytic converter and head gasket were replaced. Back in CA, the van continued to eat oil, as much as a quart a week!! Finally, after months of bringing the car in to the dealership and taking it home after only an oil change. The dealership FINALLY opened up the engine at our prodding and repaired the Short Engine block. All seems to be well now. I'm almost afraid to look. The experience was awful! Our dealership Really Let us Down!! :( The Valencia Service Manager was replaced during the process. The New Service Manager Really helped us Get the Job Done! :) It seems that you too are an active and involved service manager. Thanks so much for your interest!!

Honda Odyssey Repairs Timeline
    Our 2005 Honda Odyssey Has ALWAYS needed a little oil Every Month.
    The Condition has gradually worsened over the years.
    Odyssey finally broke down on Christmas Eve while on route to see family at Christmas time.

12/24/08 Honda Odyssey Breaks down in Cedar City, UT
    (Christmas Eve) (Won’t Accelerate past 50. Van shudders. White Smoke Pours out Tail Pipe)

12/26/08 Honda Odyssey towed to Dealership in St. George, UT

12/26/08- 1/15/09 Honda Odyssey repaired at Dealership in St. George, UT(Clogged Catalytic Converter Replaced. Burned up Head Gasket-Replaced Underlying Engine Problem: Van EATS OIL- Never Addressed, Nor Repaired)

2/3/09 Honda Odyssey returned for Repairs to Valencia, CA Dealership where purchased. (Oil Below Dipstick. Honda Odyssey is eating 1 qt of oil every week. Solution? An Oil Change. No other problems found. Dealership Reluctant to Look For Problem.)

2/10/09 Honda Odyssey returned for Repairs to Valencia, CA Dealership where purchased.(Oil Low on Dipstick. Honda Odyssey is eating 1 qt of oil every week. Solution? An Oil Change. No other problems found.Dealership Refuses to Look For Problem.)

3/2/09 Honda Odyssey returned for Repairs to Valencia, CA Dealership where purchased.(Oil Below Dipstick. Honda Odyssey is eating 1 qt of oil every week. Solution? Needs to be investigated. For $1600We AGREE-- Same Day- Open & Examine Engine.Service Manager reluctant to Provide Rental. **THE SAME RENTAL I’VE NOW DRIVEN FOR OVER 1 MONTH.**)

3/7/09 NO NEWS. No Contact. HUH??? We Contact Dealership. Investigator investigated on 3/05/09? FINDINGS BY 3/10/09.

3/16/09 NO NEWS. No Contact regarding Investigators Findings. HUH?? We Contact Dealership. Short Engine Block and Pistons to be repaired.

4/1/09 NO NEWS. No Contact……..

Short Engine block finally repaired. Van returned 5-6 weeks later in May 2009.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My 08 VCM sedan averages around 7,500 miles between oil changes and requires an addition of 1 quart of oil around 6,000 miles. At 20,500 miles it's down around 1/2 qt and showing 40% oil life remaining. It would be nice if it would go between changes without the need to add oil, but adding 1 quart around every 6 months can hardly be considered an oil burner.
  • gyushergyusher Member Posts: 67
    adding 1 quart around every 6 months can hardly be considered an oil burner.

Agreed. . . My 08 EX-L 4cyl coupe uses about 1/2 quart at oil change. That was the first one however right at 7500 (20%). Now at 9500 she's still touching the full mark.

I was concerned I didn't get the V6 but every day I like mine more and more. No complaints. . . None. . . Not one. . .
  • GrilltenderGrilltender Member Posts: 5
    I had 20,000 miles when i first noticed it 6-mounths ago.
  • mmaxemowmmaxemow Member Posts: 12
    My car has 33k miles on it and has many issues from the beginning. My current issues is when I start the car in the morning or after not driving it for a couple hours it makes a horrible noise like the valves are tapping or something. Is anyone else having this issue? I'm dropping the car off at the dealership today will update when I know what the problem is
    My shortblock and heads were replaced at 24K miles. I completed 3 x 1000mile oil consumption tests showing a quart per thousand. My dealership is Capital Honda, San Jose, CA. Service department was superb. Since then the engine has consumed 1/2 quart per 3200 miles, I have 9000 on the new block..

Here are additional details.
    1. 1st oil change -- Breakin oil changed at 3600 miles mm 50% by the dealer due to the fact it was down 1 1/2 quarts. We put in conventional oil (honda) 5-20w for the oil consumption test.
    2. At 4500 miles we checked it and it was down maybe an 1/8 of quart so Honda declared it was the additives in the breakin oil. I felt I was clear of the issue until around 5500 miles then it was down 1/2 of quart in 1200miles.
    3. I have changed the oil every 5000K with Castol GTX 5-20w with filter and just moved to Castrol synth at 16990.
    4. The driving routine and distances are consistent yet the oil usage is getting much worse. From 1 quart per 3000 miles to 1852 miles now under 1000 miles.
    5. Prior status on Synth oil – down 2/3 quart in 680 miles expect to add full quart before 1000 miles. 12-03-08 – synth seems to piss out of the engine.
    6. Started oil consumption test with Honda at 19616 miles fresh oil change (conventional oil), added full quart of oil at 21182 = 1566miles – observation is that new oil viscosity being high the burn rate is slower but as the oil ages the burn rate increases. We are checking the oil today at the next 1000 mile mark.

I drive in the northern California bay area generally a commute of 27 miles each way plus local short trips during the week. Freeway speed 70 to 75mph.
    I am not a hot rodder nor do I red line or hammer it when it cold etc.
    My prior two Accord V6's consumed not a noticeable drop at the 4000 mile oil change. Both cars had over 125K miles when I sold them. Same driver, same roads, same oil. I do my own oil and filters just because that the way I am.
    On the V6 models, Honda has a bulletin for a faulty VTC solenoid, if I'm not mistaken. Your dealership should be aware of this issue, and be able to handle it accordingly if that is the problem.
    jhinsc:

How often do you check your oil level? How many times have you changed your oil?
    Hey, frustrated2009. I'm unaware as to the 05 Odysseys having this issue. That does make me want to start watching the Odysseys that come through there for low oil level. The two engines share a lot in common, but are not identical. With your permission, I'd like to look at your warranty history via running your VIN number. If you don't mind me taking a look, please provide me with your VIN. If you do mind, no hard feelings. I'm just trying to get a feel for similar problems that may run across other vehicle lines. Thanks for your input, and please keep me up to date as far as how your repaired vehicle is in regard to this issue.
    My experiences with the maintenance minder system shows 6,000-8,000 miles to be the norm to reach 15% oil life remaining. My experiences also show that historically, Honda vehicles burn virtually no oil. This is why it's somewhat of a shock to me to see cars with such low mileage consuming oil. Honda's Service Operations manual and warranty claims guides say that under the New Vehicle Warranty, consumption of up to 1 quart every 1,000 miles is acceptable. If excessive consumption is suspected, then the dealer is to perform a consumption test. I wish everyone had the foresight to check their oil on a regular basis (as it sounds that many of you do), but the truth is that so many people spend $30k for a car and expect to do nothing other than add gas and have the oil changed. Preventative checks that can be done while filling the tank can save you from countless troubles. Warranty or not, being stranded on the side of a road with a locked up engine is pure inconvenience that no warranty prevents. I believe as a technician and a service manager that it is my duty (or the duties of the technicians inspecting your vehicle) to check fluid levels at every visit. However, if your visits are spaced out into 7,500 mile intervals, and you're (hypothetically, of course) losing a quart every 1,000 miles, then your 4.5 quart capacity is dimished to the point of engine damage halfway through your engine oil's expected life. Even if you're consuming 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles, you're still at the point of engine damage at your service interval. Not to mention potential damage to catalytic converters, spark plugs, pistons, valves, oxygen sensors, your fuel economy, and (now becoming extremely important in the eyes of more people) air quality. Catalytic converters will clean expected exhaust gases, but they're not made to clean burnt oil from exhaust.

If you can live with adding oil between changes, that's fine, however, do realize that there is more to it than just topping up the oil. I'm a firm believer that Honda is a quality product, and I'd like to do my part to ensure that it remains a leader in building quality cars. I'm not on a crusade. If nothing else, I'd like to know how to resolve these complaints on my customers' first visits whenever possible. If what I'm looking for doesn't change anything in regards to Honda and their products, I'd hope that I can at least take better care of a customer who has made an investment in this company.

Oil burner? They all are. Minute amounts for some, an occasional tenth of a quart here and there for some, and serious consumption for others. They'll all use some oil. Our technology hasn't gotten to where we don't use it yet. But we are to a point that we can keep that quantity next to none.

I just got rid of a car that used literally 1 quart every 300-500 miles. I bought a much newer Honda, and in the 6000 miles I've since added to its original 39,000 miles, I haven't seen any consumption. I'd just like to find out why one engine burns more than the next.

Thanks again for your input, as well as anyone else that responds to this thread!
    I'm very impressed by the 2.4 liter 4-cylinder that you have in your 08 EX-L. Honda went with something entirely different in that engine, and it's been a stellar product. We'll occasionally see a faulty solenoid or an occasional seal leaking, but those are few and far between. We commonly see these engines with 200,000 miles or better, and still not leaking oil, and running wonderfully. This was Honda's first engine(that I'm aware of) that used a timing chain, in place of a belt (a costly service at 105,000 miles). It first came out in 2002 in the CR-V, and is still being used in several 2010 model cars. I don't forsee this engine going away really soon. It has had several miner alterations, changes of electronics, etc, but is still essentially the same.

I believe that 1/2 quart at the first oil change (especially at 7,500 miles) is acceptable. 1/2 quart at the next oil change isn't quite as acceptable in my eyes. Engine break-in is viewed in so many different ways by so many different people, but they'll almost all agree that it is a vital period for the life of the engine.

The v6 has many extras that I do like over the 4 cylinder, but the 4 cylinder is still a superb vehicle. Lower maintenance costs, better fuel economy... Wonderful car. Glad you're happy with yours!
    rbbrick:

Thanks for the info. Since the engine replacement, what oil are you using? Did you notice any performance difference? Did you ever get a check engine light before engine replacement? (if so, what were the DTC's?) How many times ahve you changed the oil since engine replacement?

With your permission, I'd like to get your VIN number and look at your warranty history, just for informational purposes.

Thanks!
  • mmaxemowmmaxemow Member Posts: 12
    Thanks but I have a 4 cyl - I just heard from the dealership and they said they have to replace the Cam Sprocket System (whatever that means)
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    Ok, sitting at dealer right now getting new rear pads at 15k miles on my 2008 EXL v6 sedan... Just had it at dealer last week for an oil change, and the "inspection" sheet said 9mm left on rears! Today on the way to work I get this terrible sounding metal on metal sound from the right rear. Dealer looked at it and said right rear is down to the sensor!

I asked about service bulletin, and service advisor looked it up. Here's what's in their system: "Tech Line Summary Article ATS090504", "Premature Rear Pad Wear, applies to 2008-09 Accord, 2008-09 Accord V6". "Premature rear brake pad wear is currently under investigation by the factories and R&D. Instead of calling Tech Line for additional Information, please wait for the forthcoming Service Bulletin".

So I'm paying $169 for new rear pads installed. Dealer advised that I hold onto my receipt and I may get some reimbursement once the "forthcoming" service Bulletin is released. Fook me! My last car, VW GTI had 70k miles and was still on original brakes for all four wheels. Thanks honda for making your pads from dried oatmeal. Let's hope I get some $$ back.
  • mikecnorthwestmikecnorthwest Member Posts: 11
    How timely.... I literally just came to this forum to post a question asking if the brake issues I read about with the 08 Accords were occurring on the 09 Accords as well. I was very close to trading in my very good condition 96 Accord for an 09 but I think I'll pass. I don't need a new car payment and I certainly don't need an annual brake job on a new car.
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    We have a 4 cyl Accord that has a vibration starting at 50mph that feels like wind buffeting like when a window is slightly open at highway speeds. We have checked for air leaks, have rotated and balanced the tires and driven a variety of roads, though the vibration is most obvious on smooth roads and difficult to feel on rougher ones. The dealer has also checked these things and chalks it off to a design flaw which they all have (of course). Any one else out there have this problem? Google searches have shown hints of this problem but it's hard to tell. Thanks.
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    Much to my surprise, the regional guy from Honda kept his word and called me back today as promised. He said that he had spoken with the service manager and they found no signs of abnormal brake wear in my rear's going out at 15k. But, he was willing to give me a one-time "goodwill" gesture to refund the $176.74 that I spent having the rear pads replaced. The check is in the mail!

When I asked him what American Honda was doing for a long term remedy to this issue, he said it's under investigation and that I should look for a future dealer service bulletin.

So, if you're having rear brake issues and your local dealer won't help out, do what I did and write a letter to American Honda and file a NHTSA.org complaint. Reference the other "goodwill" gestures, and get a refund. Don't waste time calling their 1-800 line, I've found a well written letter with a carbon copy to NHSTA.gov etc... will get their attention.
    Wow. I'm impressed. As a Service Manager, I have the authority in some instances to 'goodwill' certain things that are typically outside of warranty periods. Brakes are almost never goodwilled. Make sure that you send a 'thank you' note to your regional guy from Honda. To those who are experiencing this problem, do hold on to your reciepts...
  • drodrigodrodrigo Member Posts: 5
    I just registered to comment about the issue you are having with your Accord. Yesterday I went to test drive a new ‘09 Accord EX i4 Sedan since I’m considering on trading my ’08 EX-L V6 Coupe which I really like a lot. To my surprise three out of the three EX i4 sedans that I test drove were suffering from this very same issue that you’re referring. The first one that I took for a ride the vibration was extremely pronounced that even the salesman, how is new to the auto sales business, told me that something was really wrong with the car. Then he brought me another EX for me to test drive it since he was convinced that this was an isolated problem with first one. In this second car the vibration was a little bit less evident but still I was able to feel it. I drove a third EX sedan from the dealer’s lot brand new only 3 miles on it and still the vibration was unmistakable. The salesman kept insisting that this vibration was due to the road condition, but I proved him my observation right by making him test drive my 08’ Accord Coupe, which does not exhibit this issue at all. At that point he tried blaming the observed issue on the sedans by suggesting the i4 engine might be causing this odd vibration. Finally this whole experiment with the sedans ended up when we test drove an EX-L V6 sedan. I had to admit that with the V6 engine the issue was barely noticeable but it was there. Due to this whole experience I have decided not to go with any Accord sedan since I know for sure I won’t be able to live with this issue at all. I’ll be sticking with my Coupe for now until I find a decent sedan.
    Hello Hondadan
    I have 9500 miles on the new engine - going in for 3rd oil change at the dealer today.
    Oil consumption from new to first oil change 1/2 quart @3200miles. Oil consumption at 6400 miles LOF 1/2 quart. Since the last oil change I have added 1 quart.
    I am using Honda dealer Mobil conventional 5-20w.
    So the oil consumption is double per 3200+ mile since the new short block & heads were installed. I am not giving out my VIN number if you want it you can email me with you Honda domain email address.
    Doesn't look good --- Roger :lemon:
  • mbros2kmbros2k Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for your response. My experience driving other new Accords has been similar. Time to contact a Honda rep...