Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Tires/Wheels

Comments

• easternshore1easternshore1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a set of 18" MDX rims with the stock 255/55R18 tires. My intent is to depax after replacing the TPMS valves with originals from the PAX tires. I know that several have made this conversion and was looking for confirmation that this tire wheel combination has no interference issues. Any comments from those who have made the conversion using these rims and tires would be appreciated.
  • dml247dml247 Member Posts: 2
    After being told in the the summer of 08 that I would have to spend $3000 to replace my bald tires with completely new wheels and tires, I held off. Now in November of 08 I have to replace these bald tires before the snow flies and started researching a DePax scenario. After pricing that out to be around $1200, I then called the Honda dealer to see if they could do the DePax. They told me they can replace the tires now that they have been trained to do so (keeping the PAX system) and thus the cost should be around $1150. Still, more expensive in the long run since the next tire replacement will still cost as much where instead doing the DePax now would allow for a less expensive replacement down the road. But, this way, I'll get the use of the PAX system that I originally paid for. Looks like Honda has come through with at least a much more economical way to replace tires on this system.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    You can view the video of how to dePAX the Ody ...
    Touring owners with PAX systems can switch to conventional wheels and a spare!

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman2/publish/Odyssey_41/Podcast_Episode_131_- - -_Honda_Odyssey_DePAX_Kit.shtml

Q&A about PAX tire system
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman2/publish/Odyssey_41/Common_Odyssey_Q_A_a- bout_the_PAX_Tire_System_159.shtml
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Anybody have any experience with tire chains for the Odyssey? My wife and I are planning a ski trip and I don't think it would hurt to have some chains along.

I've read you need to be careful or you can scratch the rims?
    Here is one Tire Chain for your review ...

• tashatomtashatom Member Posts: 1
    I own an '05 Honday Odyssey Touring and want to get rid of the PAX tires. Can anyone tell me where to go, what to advise, and the approx. cost of the switch?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Could be a all new model or a facelift or just a carryover. PAX will most likely be discontinued for 2010. So yeah no pax for the 2010.
  • ron999ron999 Member Posts: 2
    De-pax-ed: – A Honda Odyssey that has the Pax System tires replaced with conventional tires.

Part 1 of 2:

OK so I am now free of the tyranny of the Honda/Michelin Pax tire fiasco. After looking for information on depaxing and only finding bits and pieces, miss-information, and hearsay I decided that I could do it and publish some accurate information for others who may be looking to do the same thing. So here goes…

First the standard disclaimer: If you decide to de-pax based on this information herein you do so at your own risk. The replacement wheels and tires that you pick will not be exactly the same in size and weight as the OEM Pax tires and therefore the suspension and handling may vary from the OEM design target. I do not guarantee any information herein although I have attempted to make it as accurate as possible.

2006 Odyssey OEM Pax Wheel and Tire Size: 235-710R 460A 104T. This translates into: Wheel Size: 18.1” diameter Tire Size: 235mm width, 27.95” Tire Diameter, and sidewall height of 4.9”. Translated into P metric sizes it would be a 235/53 R18.1 Tire.

Looking over the Honda 2006 and 2008 Odyssey Glossy pamphlets that I have: The Stabilizer bars are 24mm for non-Pax Vehicles and 25mm for Pax Vehicles. Only a 1mm difference! This would result in only a slightly stiffer torsion bar. From the pamphlets see that a 235/60R17 102T is the tire package offered for a 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring NON-Pax vehicle. So it seems that a 235/60R17 tire and wheel package would be safe as an installation option. Another option is a 235/65 R16 103T Wheel and Tire option. This is the standard tire size for Non-Touring Odyssey 2006 and 2008 models.

See second post after this post for the rest of this article.
  • ron999ron999 Member Posts: 2
    Part 2 of 2

Next I back engineered data to see if there were any differences between the 2006 to 2009 Honda Odyssey wheels and tires. I went to my favorite source; www.tirerack.com and plugged in the model years of 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 for Honda Odyssey non-pax vehicles. The tire wheel packages were the same for each of the years showing that the mounting dimensions, clearances, wheel lugs were the same. Tire rack preselects only wheel/tire packages that will exactly fit your vehicle so the chance for problems are very small. One of the parameters they consider is Wheel Offset (distance from the axle mounting surface to center of the wheel). Just choose any one of the Odyssey non-pax vehicles when selecting the wheel/tire set for your vehicle, example LX, EX, or Touring Non-pax.

I first looked at using 18” wheels (to most closely match the Pax system wheels) but I found only 1 tire choice that was offered for this wheel size! Not good! Tire Rack caries at least 20 brands and they only had 1 tire choice. This would be no better than the Pax System… if you got a flat chances are no one would have a replacement. So I downgraded to 17” rims and surprise, I had a choice of about 20 different tire brands. I chose the following: Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 235/60R17 with Elbrus 102 17” High Pressure Cast Alloy Wheels. The load rating of the Goodyear tires are slightly less (102T) than the Pax tires (104T) but 102T is the same load rating as specified for the 2008 Touring Non-Pax 235/60R17 Tires. These wheels ship with a centering ring… a circular piece of metal that ensures that the new alloy wheels oversize hub mounts concentrically to the vehicles hub for precision wheel rotation. Some wheels may not require this (if designed only for a Honda) but many will. Tire rack mounted and balanced them (for free) using Hunter Precision Balancing Machines and shipped them in one day! I received them in (flawless condition) on day two via UPS ground. Total cost with shipping was $1,077. This is less than the cost of just 4 PAX tires with mounting!! I love Tire Rack!! This is the third set of tires I have bought from them and the experience has always been great.

What about the TPMS? Well Tire Rack has the TPMS for the non-Pax equipped vehicles but they say they do not carry the ones for the Pax vehicles. So your choice is:
    1: Don’t use the TPMS (TPMS was installed originally for run-flats only because you might not know that you had a flat and the run flat could disintegrate after 125 miles). Extra Cost: $0 and ignoring the TPMS warning on the dash display.
    2: Dismount your old Pax tires or cut a hole in the tires and remove the sensors and install them on the new wheels. Extra cost: $300 to dismount 4 pax tires + $90 for install, balance and mount on new wheels (Honda dealer quote).
    3: Buy new TPMS OEM sensors from Honda and install them on your new wheels. Extra cost of $235 for new sensors + $90 for install, balance and mount on new wheels + $50 to initialize new sensors (Honda dealer quote).

I choose option 1 and we are just ignoring the TPMS sensor warning. I will be checking my own air pressure. Note: Pulling the fuse on the TPMS system still yields a TPMS warning on the dash.

I plan to buy a 17” space saver spare from Honda and it should fit in the floor space after removing the revolving turntable. Honda quote: $67 for wheel, $135 for tire, $25 for mounting = $227. The Touring already includes the jack so nothing is needed there. If you want to save your turntable, forget the spare, buy a can of flat fix, and keep your AAA membership up to date. In the last 20 years I have not had a flat on the road that required a spare. All the flats I have had were slow leaks due to nails and they were recognized and fixed at home.

So how does it ride? This is subjective as I am comparing to how I remembered it to how it is now. My first feeling was a lighter feel from the overall van. The wheel response before felt somewhat lumbering. The ride may be a touch harsher on broken pavement on side streets. On the highway it is quieter. I feel the taller tire sidewalls (more cushioning) on the 17” tires offset the stiffer suspension that results from less un-sprung wheel weight. My significant other says it turns better and overall is happy with the ride quality. Most importantly she is relieved about not worrying anymore about a Pax flat and getting stranded.

Conclusion: I can now replace my tires with any number of tire brands at any tire dealer I choose for a fraction of the cost. Of course I choose Tire Rack! If I get a flat anywhere it can be fixed anywhere. My ride is improved and in fact the new wheels are ultra cool!! We can now travel without the fear of getting a flat and getting stuck because no one can change a Pax tire. Good luck and happy depaxing!
    ">
  • royknapproyknapp Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 lx odyessy with 7800 miles on it from a honda dealer. the van cme with bridgestone turanza el42 tires on it. i understand that these tires are very poor in most conditions except dry roads.
    I want to replace these tires with a all-season tire as i donot drive in anything but light to moderate snow and occasional ice.
    I have done some inquiring into what tire would be best and theYOKOHAMA Avid TRZ (235/65/16) tire appears to be it.
    Has anyone had these tire on there odyssey and how did they perform for you. i was told about the Blizzak tire but i cant afford another set of rims with new sensors just to put a set of snows on and mount and unmout snows this leaves me with concern about the tire bead and air leaks. I have been told by two tire shops that the bead could be compromised at any time the tires are changed seasonal. Thankyou very much for your help
  • jcchevyjcchevy Member Posts: 13
    Hello, Thank you for your posting regarding depaxing the tires/wheels on the Honda Odessey. I've been struggling with what to do about this over the past 3.5 years since I purchased the car and was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me where I can purchase the replacement (non-pax) tires and rims for a 2006 honda odessey. Right now I have 68,000 miles on the car and I was ready to take it in the shop today in fact today, to have a 3rd (actually maybe 4th) set of pax tires put on but quite honestly, I'm real tired of spending $1600 every 16-20k miles to replace the tires. I simple either want to replace the pax tires/rims or just get rid of the vehicle (it's got other issues as well). Anyways, I would greatly appreciate if you can provide me the information on where I can purchase non-pax replacement tires/rims or at least provide some recommendations. I live just north of Philadelphia, PA.

thanks

john
  • dml247dml247 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure this is posted elsewhere on this site, but just to make sure people see it, I'll post it here too. There is a lawsuit that owners of Odyssey's with PAX tires can get in on here. (Or google "honda pax lawsuit".) It isn't perfect, but at least you'll get something from them.

If you want to de-PAX, then talk to your local tire shop. They most likely can help you if they really want your business. The trick seems to be removing the old tire and reusing the tire pressure gauge sensors on the new rims. Again, any tire shop worth their sweat will do this. Skip the Firestone or Sears stores, they probably won't touch it. Go to the independent guy.
    Check out message #60
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    I'm Looking to replace the OEM Michelin's with something better. The Cooper CS4 and Yoko Avid TRZ's seems like decent options. Also saw Hankook and Toyo's out there. Anyone have any experience with any of these tires? Thanks.
  • cogitojazzcogitojazz Member Posts: 14
    Greetings. I need recommendations for tires for my 02 Odyssey [just turned 100,000 miles. I have Yokohamas on it at 50K and they are worn badly. Trip coming up, so I hope to hear from you soon. Please - not Cooper tires - very bad blow out experience on my Maxima. Thanks!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I have the TRZ's on my 00 Odyssey and thus far have been very happy with them.
    www.tirerack.com
    Tirerack is great, but responses here may differ. More information can't hurt.
  • trc101trc101 Member Posts: 11
    Just picked up an 2010 Odyssey and will be needing to purchase a snow tire / rim package this winter. TireRack is recommending ContiCrossContact. Anyone know if this is a good tire or have other suggestions?

Thanks,
  • cogitojazzcogitojazz Member Posts: 14
    Hey, Big Dadi. Thanks for the reply - bought a set of Generals - had a better rec. than Continentals and just put over 1K on them - very responsive. First Generals I've owned, so I hope they last. . .
  • stevexrxstevexrx Member Posts: 2
    Just DePAXed my 07 Touring. Discount Tire installed 18X8 TSW Mallory 5s with Yokohama YK520 235/60R-18 107V. I kept the original TPMS sensors. Michelin was nice enough to credited me $38.00 per tire. The new wheels are very conservative & accent the van. Drove a little over 90 miles today in town & highway, my Honda has never driven smoother or quieter. My center console no longer vibrates, it's like driving a $40k dollar minivan. I purchased a spare tire kit from College Hill Honda $228.84+sh (will process the paper for my $110 refund this weekend).
  • renzirenzi Member Posts: 1
    looking to purchase an 06 or 07 touring in the next few weeks.

STEVERX - would love to see some pics of the aftermarket wheels - I am tempted but don't want to make it look "ghetto" - it is a minivan after all :-)

I have cross-terrains on my 05 highlander now and love them except for snow. Heard several complaints on the PAX systems is removing it challenging for a technical guy?
  • ody2011ody2011 Member Posts: 1
    Just Depax our 2006 Ody Touring.
    I did not have much time do to research and didn't want to do it myself so my friend recommended me a seller: Acurahondaoem on Ebay who have a lot of depax package sets for sale on Ebay, ready to bolt on with Hankook Tires, so we bought a set of 18", I think they came from an Acura MDX. Wheels came to our house within a week, great packaging, great communications from the seller. Wheels and tires are look great upon arrival, installed on the van and tpms kick in within 10-15 mins as seller stated, sweet, love those ride on the Hankook tires, very quiet, handling great, much better than those PAX tires. I would recommended seller Acurahondaoem. You can browse his store by on to Ebay and enter DEPAX on search section, then look for seller Acurahondaoem. I love our van more now. Bye Bye PAX....
  • chirpchirp Member Posts: 194
    $1233 for steel wheels and hubcaps? You can't be serious.
  • lenknitlenknit Member Posts: 1
    Message for: ron999
    Thank you for your very informative article.
    I'm ready to take your advice for my 2006 Touring w/pax system. Would you do anything different or make any changes to your recommendations?
  • ewephoriaewephoria Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2006 Odyssey LX and several times a month from spring through fall I tow a small camper and sometimes have to go off road with it (dirt roads and fields which are sometimes muddy). Can I put LT tires designed for some off-road driving on my van by going with a different size, such as a 235/70R16?
  • dan123456789dan123456789 Member Posts: 2
    I have 51000 miles on my 2006 Ody and want to replace the OEM tires on the van before winter sets in here in Wisconsin. What do you suggest for a good all-season tire for this situation. I haven't had any issues with the Michelins that came with the van when purchased new but was wondering if there were others that folks found to be as good or better. I agree with many of the posts on the road noise but I knew Honda vans had that issue when I purchased it. So that is not THAT important to me but safety on snow and ice is for an all-season set of tires.

Thanks.
    Consumer Reports just rated the following tires as best buys:

Hankook Optima H727

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread

The Cooper CS4 received a good score for snow traction, but not as high overall. I'm considering the Hankook's for my 06 Odyssey.
  • dan123456789dan123456789 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I should have posted a couple days ago when I did purchase 4 new Yokohama AVID TRZ 235/65-16. These tires are giving a $50 rebate in the form of a Visa Debit card from Oct 1 to Nov 30.

Anyway, I had done some further research on the internet and message boards, etc. Also April 2009 edition of Consumer Reports listed this Yokohama as one of there top 3 rated tires.

See also this site for ratings of tires. Very enlightening.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?width=235%2F&ratio- =65&diameter=16&type=ST

So good luck rihops, but keep checking before you buy. I noticed that Hankook is lower down on the list on that link shown above.
  • rodabadarodabada Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Touring depax from 08 EX-L 255x65x16 my lite keeps coming on TMS check system any suggestions thanks Dan
    I bought the Hankook Optimo 727's today. Less than $600 total, including a front end alignment.

I'll post more thoughts about them later.
  • noblethomasnoblethomas Member Posts: 8
    I am trying to decide if I should do seasonal change overs or buy a second set of wheels for my '09 Odyssey in consideration of TPMS. If the only issue is looking at a instrument panel message while the non-TPMS wheels are on the van, I will probably buy a second set of wheels. However, if when I put the OEM wheels on with the summer tires the TPMS system doesn't automatically start working again without paying the dealer to do something, then I will probably not by wheels and just do the change overs. Any experience with this?

(I have been doing this for years on a '02 Toyota Prius and I have the dealer include the winter/summer change overs in the price of the snow tires and am very comfortable with this except that I need to be conservative in the timing).
    The Odyssey's problem with road noise on rough surfaces has been well documented. I have heard of people spending a couple thousand $ at Car Toys for sound insulation with mixed opinions of effectiveness. Has anyone found an effective noise reduction solution?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'm not quite sure but I think you will still need to have the sensors recalibrated by the dealer if you use the same rims. Call and check.

IMHO, I'd go with 2 sets of rims and some black electrical tape during the winter.
  • gfm1gfm1 Member Posts: 4
    bought my 2006 Odyssey new with Michelin All Season tires. Noisy as hell. had to always adjust volume on radio in proportion to speed. Pain in the neck. At 36,000 miles I replaced Michelins with Toyo Versado LX tires. Cannot belive the difference. Radio can be set at one volume at any speed, and my wife and I can hold a conversation as if we were in our living room. Cost? If I replaced with Michelins cost would be about $800. Total cost of Toyos (including labor, balancing various and sundry Florida taxes, etc) $500. Couldn't be happier, try them!!!
    I have Michelin's on my '09. I don't find the noise as speed sensitive as I do road quality sensitive. No noise on fresh laid asphalt but rough old stuff produces terrible noise. No noise on concrete with longitudinal grooving but they just scream on cross grooved concrete. Is it all tires or is there a lack of noise isolation and can that can be addressed by after market product?
    There are so many different models of Michelin All Season tires. Find the model then check them out re ride comfort, noise at tirerack.com
  • carmaster1carmaster1 Member Posts: 64
    Just replaced terrible michelins with Yokohama Avid TRZ, 235/65/16.I paid $419.00 total drive out at a local Discount Tire. I love the tires so far, and I hope they will last more than 35k miles unlike Michelins. Awesome customer service with an unbeatable price.
    I was just told by a Honda service rep that the Vehicle Stability Assist system would not work if the Tire Pressure Monitering System is not working. Is this true? If so, it doesn't make sense to use a second set of wheels for snow tires to save on seasonal change over costs as the cost to keep the TPMS working is at least as much as changing the tires on a single set of wheels.
    Call Honda to clarify or check if anything like that stated on owner's amnual...
  • heukenheuken Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I am shopping for new tires for my 2007 Odyssey. I got 40k on the factory Michelin's, Any one have good experience with other brands?
    See message 96
    Had a conversation with a Honda service advisor who seemed to really know what he was talking about (no "I think", or "I understand"). He stated that the VSA system will not function when the TPMS is not functioning. The Honda implimentation of TPMS only allows for storing the registsration of 4 specific sensor serial numbers (unlike other vehicles that allow 8). So if you have two sets of wheels for winter/summer, 1. they both have to have TPMS sensors and 2. The sensors must be re-registered every time the wheels are changed in order for the VSA to work. If you didn't want to go to the expense of re-registering, he suggested using the wheels with TPMS sensors for winter when the VSA is most valuable.

Looking at the whole picture (safety, cost) I have come to the conclusion to simply have the tires changed on original wheels each fall and spring due to the problems with two sets of wheels. I have been successful in the past at getting a tire dealer to include all those change outs with the snow tire deal buy adding about $60 to the cost of the deal. Will see how I do this year and let you know.
  • sodomojosodomojo Member Posts: 1
    I did some internet research and found this:

link title

It appears it will do the job and then I found a discussion on another board.

link title
  • spikey09spikey09 Member Posts: 5
    We have just purchased a brand new 2010 HONDA "ODYSSEY TOURING MINIVAN ".
    It had been "Test-Driven" during the 84 miles to the NC Dealer who was selected.
    Though 2 hrs away from our home, they had miraculously produced the color that I, (the "wife") had desired. We checked reputation of car and dealership!

After inital driving approx 40 minutes out -and while ascending a winding uphill Mt. Highway at 70 mph, - the V.S.A. LIGHT and ALARM sounded accompanied by sounds similar to a home "Sump Pump cycle". This was accompanied by HORRIBLE GRINDING NOISES - like driving on metal rims only. Thank god I, (a lesser-experienced-Driver), was not at the wheel and could easily have lost control by being surprised at 75 m.p.h between trailers.!)

After turning VSA back-on the same scenario occurred --whether ascending or descending -- heavy turns or slight -- different speeds (incl 30 mph on local winding country road ).

Next AM - we reported to selling Dealer who was completely unsympathetic to the danger, just denied any awareness of the problem, and suggested my husband, (an experienced middle-aged Driver with considerable background in Auto Mechanics ) "might just have left the safety brakes on"!!

We then contacted nearby local Honda Dealer and insisted the Van be picked up on flatbed that morning. After Computer and Testdriving by different Tech/Mechanics with the same results - they concurred on the serious problem and said they were " stumped and never experienced this before". (Neither did we - after spending over 40K$ the afternoon before) . This Monday AM : Nov 2, a Honda Rep will be brought in and begin "Conference-Call Repair Sessions " with Honda Tech-Engineers. (Do I smell a recall situation brewing??)

We're very concerned with the danger and a recurring lemon nightmare that might follow - and have been researching blogs on Goggle. Did anyone else experience this situation? and with what reasons and results??. Any tips or advice from professional mechanics or recommendations from savvy readers?? Should we keep this car? How do we protect ourselves -asap?? PLEASE HELP! Thank you in advance.. Spikey09 Mom
    I think it is great there is a potential solution out there however I am too timid to want to mess with my Odyssey's OBC for fear of something going wrong and having to pay big bucks to a Honda dealer to correct things.

Since my original series of posts on this matter, I was able to purchase a set of Blizzak WS-60s from a local dealer at a price competitive to TireRack ($525 including everything) AND they agreed to do the fall/spring change overs at no cost as long as the snow tires last. No wheels to buy, no tool to mess with,... talk about a "no brainer".
    New Update: TECHLINE by Honda America Conferenced-Call diagnosed the problem with our local Auto Dealership Service Dept. - SOLUTION: mail over and Replace the Entire "MODULAR" - thereby correcting: (1) Vehicle Stability Control Audible and Lite Alarm - and (2) very loud grinding noise (which is like marbles rolling and being ground up) - probably the ABS and TCS and (3) Hydraulic Pump-like Sounds resembling a Sump-Pump.

NO LUCK - still the same problems - especially driving into a curve. HONDA is Clueless...Now we really have a problem and have lost faith in Honda's Reputation of Reliability. Plus we're "out" a $40K+ brand new car that we haven't been able to sniff or touch since we drove it home last Thursday... (Only the Selling Dealer, who has demonstrated the fact he doesn't give a Damn, is Happy!!
    (I promise a Reward for the Hero who solves this Lemon P :cry: problem)
    Use Lemon Law to get Honda buy back the car.
    Thanks BigDadi118 - We've researched this option already, and even contacted local N.C. "Lemon Lawyers". It's necessary to pass the required :3X+in or 20 total business days in the repair shop period to qualify for "Lemonhood".
    Meanwhile, our distress continues as it is a week since we pickedup the new Van and it's still languishing at the AutoDealer Repair Shop.: Honda Tech now determined it was a defective "STEERING ANGLE SENSOR" - which was miscommunicating to the V.S.A.system with a "no signal" on turning the steering wheel...they're sending a relacement S.A.S.today!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

PS (Honda is now getting investigated by the Feds regarding the Safety of 2009 Brake Compaints on the Odyssey Minvan !! Hope our problem doesn't become another issue that will poorly brand the Odyssey for "Tradein Value". It's unfortunate that Honda needs outside legal pressure to force them to protect "SoccerMoms" and others! Wow, Honda sems to be buckling under in this hard economy and becoming totally "Americanized"in the worse sense of our unfortunate Automobile History --- what a great and priceless loss to their sterling reputation this will be!!