Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VIN check

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sorry I can't as I have to pay Autocheck per search. There may be others here who have unlimited accounts.
  • musashinmusashin Member Posts: 3
    Ah, that was more a response to burdawg, the guy that was doing it for the others. Sorry about that.
  • musashinmusashin Member Posts: 3
    So, good mr. burdawg, how about it? VIN# WAUKC68DX1A130788

• jljinmichjljinmich Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking to be a 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe for my son and want to be sure it has not been a flood vehicle or reconstructed title. Can someone provide a VIN check of 1GNFK13048R142341? Thanks very much. Jack
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Nothing special, just 1 title event and yearly registration.
    Ditto for this one, just title and registration.
  • hdz83hdz83 Member Posts: 2
    Burdawg I had posted previously on may 25, could you please assist me with this VIN check, 5LMPU28A0XLJ30325. Thank you!
    Well, there's nothing bad on the report, but there's a warning:

06/01/2005 LA PORTE, TX
    Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.

Also, this is just my opinion, but why would you be interested in an SUV with so many miles, that is somewhat ugly?
  • bird900bird900 Member Posts: 1
    i want to buy this car from a small dealership and all seems alright with the car for the most part. the vin number is 2c8gm68484r322957 if anyone could help me
  • floorboardsfloorboards Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a small truck. The odometer is broken and I was wondering if someone can check the vin to see about how long ago it was reported so I can get a better estimate of how many miles are on the truck.

VIN # 1FTDR15XXPPA31700

Really appreciate the help!!!
  • dwheaterdwheater Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone out there know a VIN Decoder website that will verify a VIN and decode for classic Mercedes and other manufacturers. I have used:

http://www.motoverse.com/vinDecoding.asp
    http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/
    http://www.carfax.com

but they do not normally provide info for classic cars prior to 1981 or 1982. In most cases they will provide a "breakdown" of what each number in the VIN represents, but will not run a VIN to verify it is correct or tell you the year, model, etc.
    Thanks
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    I do not know of an accurate decoder for pre-VIN cars.

However, I am pretty sure that you can contact the MB Classic Center and request a copy of the data card for your exact car, which will specify exactly what it wore when leaving the factory.
    The factory is really your only recourse and even then things like "model year" are tricky. Back in the day, a Mercedes dealer was allowed to register his inventory to the NEXT model year if the car didn't sell in the former and if it was in fact the same car just being made in Germany through the December month to the January month or beyond. So the factory may very well tell you that your 1969 Benz is in fact a 68. I run across this all the time, especially in the 1950s and 60s.

The Mercedes VIN is quite informative and unless you suspect that the VIN plate has been replaced, then using the ID charts online should satisfy you. Of course, the factory report gives you extra info and also production dates, etc.
    edited June 2010
    IIRC the serial number plate on pre-VIN cars will give some info, but not as exhaustive as the data card. I think there was once a site called "Benz-o-matic" or something like that which would try to decode old numbers, but with mixed results. It seems to be long gone now.

Here's a good little page about the data cards
    And this one has a long list of codes, very handy stuff My fintail has a weird entry on the data card, the car was requested to have its first oil change performed at the factory, a 300 mile break in was performed before the car was shipped, the first entry in the logbook being at the factory confirms this.
    The biggest concerns with a 250SL should be solvable by inspecting the car. One, do you have an SL or a 250 Sedan engine in there; Two, does the car have its original body panels or is it a combo of doors and hood from other cars (parts are coded to VIN number usually); Three, if a European car in specification, is it a rust-bucket underneath?

Other than that, there should be a color code on the radiator cowl area to tell you if the color is correct.
    Thanks for the insight. The VIN on the Mercedes in question is 11304312001055 and the breakdown I found for 1967 Mercedes does not designate which place in the VIN specifies the "model year." I know early Ford Mustangs, say 1965-66, that the first number of the VIN was the model year. With some manufacturers, it was the 5th place in the VIN. I was just wondering if anybody knew how I could figure out the model year looking at this VIN. If all else fails, I guess I'll attempt to call the factory and see what they have to say. I do appreciate your help.
    Thanks very much for the 2 links that you provided on the data cards. However, in attempting to break down the Mercedes VIN in question, 11304312001055, you get to the "sequential number" but it does not tell you the model year for the vehicle. I believe this is a 1967 but I am not sure. Based on the information in one of my replys, it could a toss-up. Thanks for your help.
    There's no real way to be sure. You can contact MB and get a production date, but like Shifty said, MB didn't use specific model years like American makers, and leftover cars could be titled as the next year, as there were no yearly changes. However, every 250 car I have seen has been called a 1967.
    You'd be pretty safe calling it a 1967. A few might have been re-registered as 68s.

The 250SL is the rarest of the pagoda SLs, and ironically, the least valuable--probably because so few we see are US models.
  • mississippi4mississippi4 Member Posts: 1
    Vin is 1Y1SK5466MZ024752. I really need it soon. can anyone help.
  • mustanglady3mustanglady3 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 68 Mustang from a lady who said she didn't have a title, would apply for lost title, DMV said it wasn't titled under her name and then she thought it was under maiden name, DMV said it doesn't show up because they have no records beyond the time it was last titled over 13 years. What do I do, I want to sell it. 8F01T136725 is the vin #
    Just get a bill of sale from her and apply for a new title. It's possible your local DMV might require an inspection by police and they may affix a new VIN tag with a new assigned number. Unless this is some special '68 Mustang, I doubt the new VIN # will affect value very much if at all.

You need to be careful here, as she may not have been the legit owner in the first place.

Check with DMV--call anonymously, and ask them how to get a title for a car when all you have is a valid Bill of Sale.
  • julie325julie325 Member Posts: 2
    Im looking at a bmw 325xi. I can't get the car fax, can anyone help?
    WBAVD13526KV11615
    Thanks
  • julie325julie325 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Now I feel much better about driving 2 hours to test drive the car.
    Well come back and tell us how it worked out for you
  • aduranaduran Member Posts: 1
    I need help VIN # 5NPET4AC3AH591653

Thank you.

e-mail: myoff1@yahoo.com
  • xtsea99xtsea99 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all.,.. I'm trying to help my dad find a car he sold about 6 years ago. The VIN # is VB56KO678987. This is a '56 Chevy Nomad, and we're hoping to buy it back. I'm trying to find the location of the current owner, if possible. I got taken for $19.95 by www.GovVINReports.com. I entered the VIN, and it indicated they have it in their database, but I had to "subscribe" to get the info. I did, and there is no result. I think it's a scam, and I'm disputing, but in the meantime, I'm hoping someone out there can help me locate this car. My dad had restored it and it was highlighted in Classic Chevy Magazine about 7 years ago... and he sold it. Says it's been his life's only regret (he's 72).... I'm hoping to find it and buy it back for him. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks to all who read!
    edited July 2010
    Unless you know someone in law enforcement who is also in the same state the car is now in, chances are pretty slim of finding it based on a VIN number. Also this car is too old to appear in CARFAX, etc.

If your dad can't remember who he sold it to, your only real hope is:

1. advertise in Hemmings Motor News, giving the VIN in the ad.

2. Contact the Chevy Nomad Association and see if the VIN is in their registry (I didn't see it online)

Also I wonder if your VIN # is correct....you will note on the Nomad page that no other car has anywhere near that high a number for the last 4 digits---that suggests an error perhaps? And I think you have one extra # in the sequence.

CHEVY NOMAD ASSOCIATION
  • wustlcatwustlcat Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am thinking about a 2003 Ford, 65k,asking for $4200. Is the price reasonable?
    the VIN number is 3FAFP11393R144449, can someone help me to check the car's
    history? Thanka a lot!
  • jenradjenrad Member Posts: 2
    Just bought this today for dirt cheap, odometer reads only 61,333 on it, drove atleast 30 miles and it hasn't moved. Did I just get screwed? Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

1FALP45T6RF192544

Thanks
    Jen
    5 accidents total, including hitting a utility pole. Mileage seems accurate, however.
    Was the fact that the odometer doesn't work disclosed to you? If not, that's fraud in most states.
    edited July 2010
    What I meant by "mileage seems accurate" is that the miles YOU state are the last ones recorded in the CARFAX....however, what I didn't mention was that the mileage of 61K was recorded in September 2003.

So I'd assume that it has an additional 70,000 miles on it or so, unless it was on blocks these last 7 years.

I think you should contact Tennessee CID right away about this car and both accident and mileage problems and let them advise you accordingly.

http://tennessee.gov/safety/CID.htm

You can also file a claim with Small Claims Court in your district if CID can't help you for some reason.
  • jenradjenrad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info from CARFAX, looks like it was the side that couls have been replaced from hitting utility pole.

Will look into the odometer thing.

Jen
    Actually CARFAX says the car was hit on the right side, the left side, the front and the rear. :cry:
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Jenrad doesn't seem overly concerned. It must have been a Really good price.
    Sounds like the previous owner may have had some problems.
    When my daughter came home from UC Santa Barbara after a couple of years, my wifes old Pontiac that we gave her had a bump or scrape or something on the corners of both front and rear bumpers. Her uncle summed it up - "at least she knows where the four corners are now".
  • phillybillphillybill Member Posts: 4
    I need a VIN checked, this yahoo is selling a 2007 BMW Hardtop Convertible with 29k miles on it for only 18k. Based on the pictures the car looks in excellent condition however NADA and Kelley say its worth 35k. So why so cheap? vin is WBAWL73597PX47726
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    While I'm no help on the VIN, I will warn you to have it checked VERY carefully by a BMW expert familliar with that particular model. Friend had one, got 'tapped' from behind in a store parking lot. The insurance co. TOTALLED the car, because the 'tap' pushed the trunk lid into the top mechanism. Major repair bill.
    Thanks for the reply and the input. Its about 2 hours away, what i am thinking is, rather then take a mechanic on a 2 hour trek, I will drive up there, find a local BMW dealer and hire one of their mechanics to check it, just wanted to see if there are any major reports on the carfax or autocheck, such as salvage title, lemon title, or something like that, to save me the trip. Google the vin and you will find one of the listings for the car and you can see the pics. From the pics it looks brand new.
    I googled it..found ads in two different locations, one ad listing it for 6K :confuse: ...same pics...I'd wager an awful lot of money that it's a scam....as in they want you wire money for delivery. I bet there's no car to inspect. Photo backgrounds are very dry looking and generic too...probably not in the northeast at all.
    The car was in Edmunds Oklahoma on June 29th with 33,000 miles on it.

it is also a Lemon Buyback and thus has a branded title.

Sounds like both a scam AND a bad car. Nice! :)
    And once again the saying "if its to good to be true, it probably is" hold true again. Thanks for your help
    Or as Mark Twain said:

"NOTHING that glitters is gold"
  • bigcrazymikebigcrazymike Member Posts: 4
    First off, I've been working as a mechanic for well over 35 years. I know where the VIN# is.

I went to four previous sites to find out who the previous owners of a 2003 Saturn L-200 are plus any other reports on this vehicle, yet when I enter the VIN# it keeps coming up as invalid. What gives?

The VIN# in question is, IG8JU54F83Y551362

Shal ' aam
    AAPiY
    Mike
    Just iG8ju54f83y551362, not IG8JU54F83Y551362
    You need a 1, not the letter I
    Tried it with both. I looked at the VIN three times and believe me, it's an I.

Shal ' aam
    AAPiY
    Mike
    Ah, no, Mike, it's a 1, believe me, and the VIN shows up on CARFAX.

Your correct VIN is

1G8JU54F83Y551362
    Time for a more powerful set of reading glasses. I rechecked again only this time using a magnifying glass, your correct, I'm wrong.
    Accept my apology.

Are there any sites where I can get a free report. $34 for each report can get a little expensive, especially if one is checking out multiple cars.

Shal ' aam
    AAPiY
    Mike