Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Century Electrical/Lights

Comments

• doubled218doubled218 Member Posts: 4
    one person said you can use the power off the door lock the orange wire on the door lock is live i wanted to know what is the color wire i can jump over to they are seven [ blue ] blue with white ] black ] dark brown ] light tan ] dark green ] light green i checked all wires with tester no power to windows but work on other doors thank you
  • jmurray171jmurray171 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    When driving along in the evening the headlights occasionally blink on and off. I turned on the headlight switch thinking it was the sensor but it still does it. Any thoughts? Thanks, jmurray171
  • munleyjmunleyj Member Posts: 8
    It may be a loose or bad bulb.
  • loopsyloopsy Member Posts: 5
    I am on my third battery at this point same year 95 buick century wagon when I first got the car the dome light was very hot and I just took out the bulb and didn't mess with it. Noticed though that when I turn something else on my dash lights would dim a little then go back. My car is still down and you can read my other entries let me know if you have come up with anything. Hope I helped.
  • danimal8562danimal8562 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your 1995 Buick Century? I have almost the same exact thing happening with mine right now. I did not change the starter but did replace a fender and did some headlight work due to an accident. Now the ABS light is on and most of the items you identify don't work for me either. They did work for a couple of days after the repair work was done and then went out.
  • prince33prince33 Member Posts: 3
    1993 buick century custom. How to replace the passenger side courtesy Light that shows the Handle,Power door locks & windows??
  • youngkonvictyoungkonvict Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 buick century and while driving the car my Battery,check engine,air bag, lights come on and ant this point the transmission feels as if its slipping someone please i need some advic on what to do i already replaced the battery and ecm please help
  • anctechanctech Member Posts: 4
    The problem with your instrument panel lights lies withing the board itself. I repair these boards with a warranty. If you get a new one, you will not have the same mileage reading, so you will need to refurbish your board. Contact me at ANCTechnologies at Hotmail.com
  • anctechanctech Member Posts: 4
    Hey Mike,
    the problem lies within the cluster board itself. I repair these because it seems to happen to all of the 97-2004 models. If you want, contact me at ANCTechnologies at hotmail.com
  • lilfilthypawslilfilthypaws Member Posts: 2
    OF COARSE AFTER SEARCHING THRU THE BOAT-LOAD OF BOOKS WE HAVE, I FOUND PLENTY OF INFO ON EVERYTHING EXCEPT WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR~IM SEARCHING FOR A SITE CONTAINING 1993 BUICK CENTURY WIRING SCHEMATIC ...THAT DOES NOT HAVE A CREDIT CARD FEE* ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED { IM A FAIRLY NEW GARAGE-BUDDY :blush: }
  • chuckiebtoochuckiebtoo Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    Hi, I'm new here hoping to find out why my right front blinker light constantly (like every day) malfunctions. The bulb doesn't burn out, but the socket overheats and burns one of the connector wires on the bulb (as well as melting a little bit of the socket.

The rear blinker on the right side blinks fast, and the front bulb doesn't work at all.
    I've changed the socket a couple of times....no difference.

I can sometimes clean the connectors and/or wiggle the bulb around but it'll only work for a couple of right turns).

Thanks,

Chuck
  • mph22mph22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Buick Century with a six speaker sound system. For several weeks I would get a crackling noise from 1 to 3 of the speakers even if the volume was turned down completely. Then it would quit and all was fine for a while. The problem occurred whenever I hit bumps in the road. Sometime the speakers would fade in and out. Eventually the sound stopped. The radio would come on fine, just no sound. I installed a new radio, still no sound. Any ideas as to the cause and fix?
  • doubled218doubled218 Member Posts: 4
    where is the transmission drain plug located to change fluid
    Not sure. I had someone do it.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Member Posts: 255
    They don't have drain plugs, GM figures it cost too much. Some gm cars
    don't even have
    a dipstick for the trans. The last time I had my pan off I welded
    a
    plug in. Changing trans fluid is a big mess any way you go about it. My kids Saturn has a drain plug & a spin on filter. I guess that made too much since so gm's answer was to quit making the Saturn. I thought they had a decent product with Century and Lasaber but they got dropped. Same way with S10.
  • meb28meb28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2002 Buick Century that will not start. My friend has looked at it and checked the fuses themselves and says that they are good. He believes the problem is something to do with the the fuse box itself going bad. Can this happen? He knows more about cars then I do but this has both of us stumped. Something about an electrical low? (not sure about this part) We've tried putting it on a charger but I don't believe its the battery. We've tried jumping and still nothing. :(
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be the chip on the key. I used the spare set of keys and it worked fine.
  • techkentechken Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Century Wagon 3.1L engine. Took it out to store got home the autolocks quit working.Took it back out at another store started it up and my headlights didn't work my tail lights,brake lights,hazzard lights,horn,courtesy lights are out. The radio and clock won't stay set resets everytime you start it. I have turn signals and back up lights thats it. All went down at the same time. Had to replace two 5 amp fuses still not coming on. I replaced the headlight switch still nothing. Just put in a new relay switch still nothing. I got a conuinity tester checking back of fuse boxes every wire I can find still nothing. Any other ideas. I had a transmission replaced about 3 and half months ago. Is it possible it is a fusable link off of the starter. I have dash lights and it runs down the road. Any ideas any other tests or places to look let me know. Tested the alternator not that either. Don't know what else to do. I have a lot of money in this car and can't afford to take it in at the present time. Please any help would be appreciated.
    u gotta drop the pan change filter and gasket
    Sound like either a short or another electrical problem. No idea.
    someone earlier wrote somthing identical but dident write what the fix is.
    my car is in peices and my wife is gonna have a baby any hour lol
    hey loopsy i have the EXACT problem with mine.
    what was the fix?
  • dieselissydieselissy Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2010
    i know it's kind of old, but i just fixed my dads dash. go on you tube and type buick century dashboard. All you have to do is remove dash and solder 4 resistors only for a buck at radio shack . and whala! lights on again.
    hope this helps., did for my dads car. Also helped fix the electronic climate control using another solder technique. also has bad resistors that burn and when resoldered worked again like new!!!!
    Issy :shades:
    Thanks for the input.
  • stuck6stuck6 Member Posts: 1
    My son has the car at college, but the tail lights and license plate light does not work. Brake lights do work and Hazards as well. He check the fuse and put a new one in just incase, but no difference. Any Suggestions.
  • dieselissydieselissy Member Posts: 34
    have him check the wires coming from the trunk to lights, most of the time wires break there causing no lights
    pull tape and check wiring
  • deewmandeewman Member Posts: 1
    Have the same problem! Please tell me you found out wat is wrong and please let me know thanks.
  • regalgs241regalgs241 Member Posts: 4
    basically all you have to do is pull the ''lights'' knob out once to the ''park'' lamp position, it will chime then just push it back in to off. hope this helps!
  • eedueckeedueck Member Posts: 1
    The shifter indicator and kms. indicator lights for my 2003 Buick Century are out. What's involved to replace them?
    The described 99 Century CEL's remain on. The oil is OK. Should I disconnect the battery to reset the codes error readings or ???

Chuck
  • century003century003 Member Posts: 1
    Replying to: mbaldock, #4 of 82 Re: Buick Century Headlights
    I am having the same problem. I think I have located a used part but not sure. Does anyone know the part number or what the replacement part is called. I would appreciate any info anyone can give me.
    99 Century left-side dash vents (and other left side vents>) blowing warm air while right side blows AC.

I pretty much know it's a mechanical prob with the vent mechanisms, but what can I do about it?

Thanks,

Chuck
  • trailgypsytrailgypsy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Century and the right low beam light went out. The bulb is good and the fuse is good. Anyone have any idea on what to check next?
  • omarnunezomarnunez Member Posts: 3
    no tengo liz interior en mi century 1993 alguna ayuda gracias
  • omarnunezomarnunez Member Posts: 3
    in the door inside is the open the door
  • nicklenorpnicklenorp Member Posts: 1
    help
    I have a buick century 2000. this is the problem, the blower motor on the passenger side will not turn off, even with the engine off and the key out of the ignition. the only way to get it to stop is to pull the 60amp maxi fuse at location BAT#2. this however disables a couple of things including the break lights so of course I just got pulled over and issued a warning for nonworking break lights. I have disassembled the heater control panel and disconnected the two wire bundles but to no avail. please help.
    thanks.
    bob
  • rarerubyrareruby Member Posts: 3
    We had the same problem. Turned out that the stadium chairs we keep in our trunk were pushing on a bit of wiring that was poking out from the holes to access the tail lights. The wires were being pushed against the sharp metal edge of the holes, thus causing a short and blowing a fuse. The taillight fuse also controls the dashboard lights (it doesn't say that in the manual, it was discovered by trial and error...) We taped up the wire that was shorting, and pushed the wiring back into it's access hole. Replaced the traillight fuse, and the issue was solved. It was NOT the "dimmer" fuse as we originally thought. Wish the manual had noted that dash lights were on the taillight fuse!
    Are you tail lights also out? What about the lighting on your door buttons for lock and window? All of this was out on our Century and all at once. Yet, we too had the PRND12 indicator lit... Turned out that the stadium chairs we keep in our trunk were pushing on a bit of wiring that was poking out from the holes to access the tail lights. The wires were being pushed against the sharp metal edge of the holes, thus causing a short and blowing a fuse. The taillight fuse also controls the dashboard lights (it doesn't say that in the manual, it was discovered by trial and error...) We taped up the wire that was shorting, and pushed the wiring back into it's access hole. Replaced the traillight fuse, and the issue was solved. It was NOT the "dimmer" fuse as we originally thought. Wish the manual had noted that dash lights were on the taillight fuse!
    Last time we needed to drive at night we realized that our dash lights were out, as well as our tail lights, and the courtesy lights for lock/window on the doors. Turned out that the stadium chairs we keep in our trunk were pushing on a bit of wiring that was poking out from the holes to access the tail lights. The wires were being pushed against the sharp metal edge of the holes, thus causing a short and blowing a fuse. The taillight fuse also controls the dashboard and door lights (it doesn't say that in the manual, it was discovered by trial and error...) We taped up the wire that was shorting, and pushed the wiring back into it's access hole. Replaced the traillight fuse, and the issue was solved. It was NOT the "dimmer" fuse as we originally thought. Wish the manual had noted that dash lights were on the taillight fuse!
  • goneagaingoneagain Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
  • cshousleycshousley Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. What did you do?
  • mushkamushka Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find a replacement cluster for 2001 Buick Century
    I cannot vouch for this company as I have not used them; however, I did find this company that repairs an instrument panel.

http://www.mrwhizard.com/index.cfm
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You can also check www.car-part.com. They have a pretty good list of parts from salvage yards all over the country. If you don't feel comfortable ordering, you can always use the site to help find a salvage yard near you, then you can work with them on getting the replacement part.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ggriffin1990ggriffin1990 Member Posts: 1
    i have been reading past discussions and mine is different. my dashlights are out meaning my odometer and my gear shift for my 2001 buick century custom now my lights are out but my tail lights still work what do i do?
    If it is just the odometer and gear shift lights that are out, go to Youtube and do a search for Buick Century dash lights... Eventually you will find info and video about the four resistors that need to be replaced. Worked for me. Cost less than 2 bucks from Radio Shack. Of course I took out the dash, get instructions... I had a friend who was more experienced at sodering to soder on the new resistors. Saved me a bundle.
  • zapp2121zapp2121 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2004 buick century with the same problem of the headlites going off,then hitting the hi beams makes them come back,,any solutions ?? Zapp
  • headrjo222headrjo222 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Buick century, which for the past couple weeks has been driving me crazy with blown bulbs. First was the back up lights, replaced those, then tail lights, replaced those (one by one), then brake light. I eventually replaced every bulb in the rear light cluster. Now instrument panel and all tail lights out, found the bad 15 amp fuse replaced it and still no lights. When everything started I did notice a hairline crack in the tail lens which was allowing water to get into the tail lens and corrode the bulb housings. I sealed the crack and checked for any damaged wiring however other than a little corrosion which i cleaned, nothing. Please help I'm pulling my hair out. I'm pretty sure its a short in the wiring however electrical wiring diagrams are like french to me. PLEASE PLEASE tell me any advise on where you think I should start looking for the short. Thanks
  • rk0602rk0602 Member Posts: 1
    This problem just happened in my vehicle too. I was wondering if you would happen to know the part number or what the part is called?
  • ewolfdogewolfdog Member Posts: 2
    did anyone find out what the problem is...same thing is going on with my daughter's car