Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
Here is a new discussion to talk about Ford Sync.

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Does anyone know if they are integrated beyond sharing the screen?
    For example, does Sync work with the nav the same as it does with your cell phone and mp3 player? (Can you use Sync voice commands to control the nav to input street addresses while you're driving etc.)?
    Does anyone know if you can use the Bluetooth audio streaming function of Ford Sync to receive the audio of a cell phone based navigation system?
    It would very cool if Ford Sync allowed you to hear the turn by turn instructions from your phone played over the car stereo speakers without wires especially if you can simultaneously play the music saved on the phone and have it all paused for you automatically when you are on a call.

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    That's a very good question and I don't remember reading about that capability on the websites.

Anyone have Sync yet and know the answer to thi?
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Not sure whether anyone linked to this yet - but a good write-up.

http://pimpblog.com/?p=68#more-68
    That's actually their answer to the TripTunes Deluxe which Ford introduced back around the Detroit show too. Same exact thing. The Sync is worlds ahead of both of those.
    The Sync is only exclusive to Ford until November 2008.
    So, I wonder what other manufacturers will be offering their version of the Sync in their 2009 models?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Any other manufacturer will have to call the system something else.

Also, not all features will be available with all phones. Even a phone from one carrier might have different bluetooth capabilites than the same exact phone from a different carrier.

As for Nav instructions through Sync this does not seem possible right now unless those instructions would be played through a bluetooth earpiece, the won't be played through Sync. Sync will do bluetooth streaming stero thought through some phones. See www.syncmyride.com for a not so exhustive list of tested phones.

Mark
    I don't think there is any smartphone nav system that plays audio through through the normal bluetooth handsfree profile stream you use for phone calls. However, if the phone is a AD2P capable stereo bluetooth phone and you enable bluetooth stereo streaming, isn't all the other phone audio routed through the wireless regardless to it being a locally saved music file, streaming internet radio or the nav system voice?

Isn't AD2P streaming the wireless equivalent of plugging a cable into the headphone jack of the phone and connecting it into the AUX input jack of the car stereo?

I don't know the answer to this question, but if the answer is yes, then I can't see any reason why this would not work if you are using a phone compatible with Sync bluetooth audio streaming.

I hope someone tries this.
  • albertaboundalbertabound Member Posts: 5
    I am awaiting delivery of a factory ordered 2008 Edge Limited AWD. It will have the DVD Navigation system. Both myself and my wife will be driving the vehicle. Will Sync recognize both our voices?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes - it doesn't require any training.
    The navigation system doesn't use Sync. It has it's own completely separate voice recognition system.
    Maybe the next generation navigation system will be fully integrated with Sync.
    He was asking specifically about Sync, but the answer is the same for both Sync and Navigation - they both respond to multiple voices without training.
    Since he made the point of bringing up the DVD navigation, it sounded like he thought the nav system used Sync.
    Thanks for the replies. I have been researching the Sync system through various web sites, and did realize that the Navigation was separate. Nevertheless from your replies I realize that both systems will recognize multiple voices. When my wife forgets her cell phone and tries to use voice recognition on my phone it will not work. Hence my question about sync voice recognition.

I presently drive a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T RWD with a Navigation system that is quite a disappointment. I end up using my portable Garmin Nuvi. We travel to Southern California for the months of March and April, via I-15, through Montana, Idaho, Utah etc. and last year we had two days on H---, with snow and ice on the roads. My wife threatened to fly this year. With an AWD and the snyc system she is back on board for driving down.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I just returned my 2005 Magnum RT RWD two weeks ago at the end of its lease. My wife has ordered a 2008 Edge Limited. My Mag didn't have the Nav but I sure loved that car. Today I read that Chrysler is killing the Magnum. Too bad, as it was a very practical and fun to drive car as far as I am concerned. We are looking forward to the new Edge and the SYNC. Wife never cared for the look of the Mag and loves the Edge, so domestic bliss wins out! My mid life crisis car is history.
    The Magnum is one of the best driving vehicles I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few. The Hemi is terrific for cruising on long trips, with no downshifts. Other than some minor glitches, and terrible Continental tires, it has been repair free. My wife loved the look of the vehicle, but hated driving it in close quarters, as she had trouble seeing what was in back. I installed a rear view camera but that did not help.

Our trip south last year turned the tide to start looking for an AWD vehicle. She has a Honda Civic for around town.

We have owned a number of Ford Windstars, that treated us well and we also had to have room for our golf clubs which we usually have with us in the summer and on the trip south.

We drove a number of crossover vehicles and had narrowed our choice down to a 2008 Toyota Highlander or 2008 Hyundai Veracruz Limited. We both happened to see a Ford Ad on T.V describing the 2008 Edge and the Sync system. We decided to talk to the fellow we had bought our vans from at the Ford
    dealership.

He had limited information on the 2008 Edge, but while we were there a carrier brought in a new 2008 Edge and we learned about the vehicle together. We went for a test drive, in a 2007 SEL plus, and by the time we got back to the lot my wife declared this was the best riding and most comfortable vehicle. As you say domestic bliss wins.

I love gadgets and have been devouring everything I can find on the computer about the Sync system, and Navigation system. I could not see any info about voice recognition and thus my post on this forum.
    Here are some people playing with Ford Sync in the new Ford Focus, but they can't get it work properly.
    I'm not sure they really know the titles of the songs they have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fec8XfTImc
    UNLIKE THE NISSAN system, anyone can use any phone that is paired to the vehicle. No training is required.

Sync does work but can only recognize meta data in your music tracks. If you tell it to "Play genre rock" and you have a Clint Black song labeled as "Rock" it will play that song.

If you have tracks that you got from friends or made yourself, you may have to correct the meta data in those tags.

Mark.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Ford + Microsoft =

Fill in the blank yourselves.

I guess Ford will leave satelite communications (OnStar) to GM, back-up cameras to GM and everyone else, hybrid and high mileage vehicles to GM and Toyota, but hey, wanna talk to your car and have it misunderstand most of what you say? Ford's got a $750 better idea.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    GM can keep OnStar, the "big brother" spy that is always watching, tracking and listening to you. Ford has backup cameras on certain models as well as makes Hybrids. If you don't want SYNC don't check that option box. I don't think it is $750 to add either, but since it was standard on the Edge we have ordered I can't say for sure. If you read the forums on GM you will see that they are losing quite a number of possible sales due to not having Bluetooth compatibility, which most people would rather have than the proprietary OnStar system.
    All cars have a Big Brother box in them these days. At least with OnStar, you get some value out of it. (BTW, On Star is NOT always watching and listening to you.)

I know Ford makes hybrids - ONE to be exact (can't count the Escape and Mariner as TWO). GM will have hybrid Chevy Tahoes in '08. Over 20mpg in the city in a Tahoe - look for Expedition sales to sag even further. I didn't know of any Fords that have B/U cameras. WHich do?

It'll cost $750 to get Sync on the Edge because it requires the convenience package.

I'll take your word that folks are not buying GM cars cause they can't hook their bluetooth phones into the radio. Seems silly to me.
    This post is a perfect example of someone making up things and pushing them off as facts. Perhaps you should work for Fox News.

1. OnStar is not and never was a "satelite communications" system. Its a cell phone built into the car. As GMs cell network provider switches to all digital, customers with the older OnStar analog only system will be left in the cold. And the new OnStar system will only work where there is digital coverage.

FACT: Sync will work where ever your Bluetooth compatible phone works. That includes Canada, Mexico, etc.

2. Back-up Cameras? you obviouly have not driven a 2008 Ford F-150, Super Duty, Expedition, or Lincoln Mark LT or Navigator.

3. Hybrid and High Milage vehicles? GMs "Mild Hybrid" system is a joke. The 08 Chevy Malibu Hybrid is rated at 24 City and 32 Hwy. Whats the Point? Ford Fusion 4 cylinder is 20 city, 28 hwy. You are talking an annual cost difference of $272.00. Malibu Hybrid TMV is $22,720. Ford Fusion SE has a TMV of $19,426.00. Thats a Difference of $3,300! You'll have to drive that Malibu 12 years!!!! to make that money back in fuel economy savings.

3. Sync is standard on top trim levels and optional for under $400.

:P

Mark
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Is Sync "handicapped" if on a car without NAV?
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Hey Mark, do you know if Lincoln is going to offer xenon headlamps on the MKX? Thanks
    steve
    "This post is a perfect example of someone making up things and pushing them off as facts. Perhaps you should work for Fox News."

Oh, they took my response to this off, saying I broke the rules by dissing the writer of this. Hmmm, I thought they had taken his off as well, since the above statement clearly calls me a liar. But I guess I, like Fox News, am fair game.

Well, hopefully I'll be more diplomatic this time, and I will start by merely saying with all due respect that mschmal doesn't know what he's talking about when he says:

"1. OnStar is not and never was a "satelite communications" system. Its a cell phone built into the car. As GMs cell network provider switches to all digital, customers with the older OnStar analog only system will be left in the cold. And the new OnStar system will only work where there is digital coverage."

OnStar most certainly is a satellite communications system as one can readily verify merely by going to wikipedia or 'Ask'ing about OnStar (I dont do Google)

As for what sync works with, several messages on here will vouch that it doesnt seem to work at all with some of the advertised phones and some folks have been told to buy new phones to work with sync. Good luck with that.

As for backup cameras, mscmal says:

"2. Back-up Cameras? you obviouly have not driven a 2008 Ford F-150, Super Duty, Expedition, or Lincoln Mark LT or Navigator."

And he's right, I haven't driven either of these 2 vehicles, which are really basically only 1 vehicle, but why quibble? My point was that Ford is way behind everyone else in using back-up cameras and this post helps make my point. Many lesser priced cars, including the Toyota Prius and Highlander, have B/U cameras and the Highlander in fact it is standard equipment.

Mschmal goes on:
    "3. Hybrid and High Milage vehicles? GMs "Mild Hybrid" system is a joke. The 08 Chevy Malibu Hybrid is rated at 24 City and 32 Hwy. Whats the Point? Ford Fusion 4 cylinder is 20 city, 28 hwy. You are talking an annual cost difference of $272.00. Malibu Hybrid TMV is $22,720. Ford Fusion SE has a TMV of $19,426.00. Thats a Difference of $3,300! You'll have to drive that Malibu 12 years!!!! to make that money back in fuel economy savings"

Laughable. GMs system is a "joke"? Really? 20% increase in gas mileage is a joke? I dont think so. Especially with gas about to cross $4.00/gallon where I live. Ford has ONE vehicle with hybrid tech. Billy Ford promised oodles of hybrids. That is pretty far behind the curve of the rest. Ford will still be selling 12/16 mpg rated Expys in the fall while GM will have it's 22/22 or thereabouts hybrid Tahoe. Excuse me, but 22mpg city in a Tahoe is just what the Dr ordered for a huge number of soccer moms etc. I think predicting big success for the Tahoe, assuming they can make enough of them, would be a pretty good bet.

Finally he says, without counting:
    "3 (sic). Sync is standard on top trim levels and optional for under $400. "

This is supposd to rebut my mentioning that it costs $750 to get sync in an Edge. HAHAHAHA I see, so IF you pay an extra several $1000 to get the top trim, then sync is std? Great. How does that change the fact however that sync costs $350 and requires the convenience package which is $395? (or vice-versa)

Now who's making stuff up? Me and Fox or mscmal and Dan Rather?

Finally, IMHO, sync may bring a lot of young folks to Ford but I think it's going to be a maintenance and CR nightmare for a year or two. But I'm probably just making that up.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    But I guess I, like Fox News, am fair game.

I think we'd better stay out of the cable channel wars before folks like Keith Olberman and John Gibson jump into the fray! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Sync is completely voice activated once your phone is paired.

The navigation system, while it shows you more of whats going on, actually gets in the way.

For Instance with have you have to do the following voice commands to phone home.

1. Phone
    2. Call Home.

Without Nave, you just use the command "Call Home".

To play the track "Life is a Highway"

With Nav:
    "User Device"
    "USB"
    Play Track "Life is a Highway"

Without Nav:
    "USB"
    Play Track "Life is a Highway"

If the last command you gave was for USB than you can skip that command.

Mark
    I apologize for that cheap shot. I was trying to be funny. Thats probably why I don't try to make my living as a commedian.

1. OnStar DOES NOT use any satellites for communication. Here is GM's page http://www.gm.com/explore/education/9-12/technology/onstar_gps.html.

2. I was refering to the Mild Hybrid system used in the Malibu and Saturn "green line" vehicles. The Tahoe and its brothern will be using a totally different "two mode" system. As for whether this will be a success or not, we still don't have prices or fuel economy figures.

If you have to pay more to buy the hybrid then you'll ever save through fuel economy in the time you own the car then IMHO the all you are getting is HYPE!

Mark
    MKX offers Adaptive steering headlamps in the Ultimate Pkg.

Right now HIDs do not appear to be in the future.

Mark
    "I apologize for that cheap shot. I was trying to be funny. Thats probably why I don't try to make my living as a commedian."

OK, cool. Bill Maher should've been something else too.

OnStar communications is by cell phone. GPS operations of course is satellite.

Certainly the cost of hybrids over non has to be factored. I tried to justify turning my Lincoln LS (22mpg) into a Prius (45mpg?) and found it would be close to 10 years til I made up the diff in cost. That was a good answer for me :)
    If you have to pay more to buy the hybrid then you'll ever save through fuel economy in the time you own the car then IMHO the all you are getting is HYPE!

Read the last sentence of this review. If C&D is right about the price then these GM beasts are HYPE X 2!!!
    Yeah, 50% better gas mileage than a non-hybrid Tahoe. That's hype all right.
    Yeah, and if it starts at $48k as predicted that's $13k MORE than a gas only Tahoe. That makes the time to recover the purchase price difference out of reach which was the point of this line of discussion.

Did you read how they only managed 12 mpg in the gas Tahoe? Just in case you didn't, they drove it like a drag racer and used the remote start "a lot". EPA says 14 in the city.

So assuming 12k miles driven per year, $3 per gallon of gas, 14 mpg average for the gas Tahoe (which is still probably low but I don't have better numbers for either at this point) and 18 mpg average for the Hybrid Tahoe it would take just over 22 years to make up the difference in purchase price with gas savings alone. That does not factor in replacement battery packs, which are usually required every 10 years at a cost of roughly $6k+ (not covered by warranty either at that point in time).

But hey, if that works for you then by all means buy one!

Here's the math if you want to check it. Maybe I'm leaving something out that I don't know about.

Hybrid:
    Purchase price $48k (estimate and assuming 2WD)
    12,000 (miles per year) / 18 mpg = 667 gallons of gas per year
    667 gallons * $3 per gallon = $2,001 spent on gas per year

Gas:
    Purchase price $35,000 (2WD 4.8L V8)
    12,000 (miles per year) / 14 mpg = 857 gallons of gas per year
    857 gallons * $3 per gallon = $2,571 spent on gas per year

Difference:
    $2,571 for gas per year - $2,001 for gas per year = $570 less for gas per year for the Hybrid

$13,000 difference in purchase price / $570 less per year for gas = 22.8 years

A gas Tahoe 4X4 with the 5.3L V8 is $38,800 to start with. That's a $9,200 price difference and the EPA ratings are the same for that larger motor. So for that one you'll only need 16.4 years to make up the purchase price difference. Again, that's without factoring in the pricey battery replacement.

All hype. GM is going in the wrong direction with this IMO. They should be using diesels like Mercedes and others and even the Lamdas would benefit from that too.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds will calculate most of that out to 5 years with the TCO tool. :shades:

We've been enjoying a similar thread over in the $4 a Gallon Gas discussion:

kdhspyder, "What will you do when gas price rises above $4 a gallon?" #2640, 13 Nov 2007 3:36 pm
  • mzaquiamzaquia Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2008 EDGE that came with Synch and Sirius, based on my reserach I don't think we can control the sat radios from Sirius using Synch, is that right ? Does anyone know ?

Also I can;t seem to switch stations using the controls on the weel, I just want to do a staion by staion search but when I press the "next" button it always takes me to 184, any ideas ?

Thanks
    Try reading the owner's manual. Seriously - that's why they put them there. There may be a supplement for Sync.
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    Can you pair more than one phone like HIS/HERS? Thanks for the post. Good info. I want to get the sync without the NAVI.
    I think you can pair up to 6 phones at a time, but check the website to be sure:
    http://www.syncmyride.com

As for the glovebox light - that was removed on several vehicles years ago during the nickel/dime cost cutting era. I'm sure they'll be back as the vehicles get redesigned.
    You can pair plenty of Phones but you can only pick one to be your favorite.

The Favorite phone is the one Sync will connect too if more than ONE paired phone is in the vehicle at the same time. You can get around this by just turning off bluetooth on the phone you DO NOT want to connect.

Mark
    The up and down button on the steering wheel takes you between PRESETS. So until you set your presets, it only goes to 184 which is the default preset

There are no Sync features for Sat radio that don't already have a steering wheel button.

On a Voice Activated Nav radio, you can use the command "Tune" then say a channel number"

Mark.
    So let us say I paired my husband's phone and mine. We setup his as favorite when I enter the car by myself with my cell phone will the system know that it only needs to work with mine not the favorite?
    thanks for the post again
  • verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    Yes, it will work that way.

It will only connect with one phone at a time, and the favorite will have preference.
  • jterminejtermine Member Posts: 1
    I have an IPOD video (5th generation). A graphic of it appears in nearly every Ford Sync ad I have seen. When I connect it to the USB, it works great, except if I try to use Voice commands to "Play " and some song title, the Sync chimes and says "Voice recognition not available on this device." I find this hard to believe, because when the IPOD is connected, it displays a friendly Ford logo on the screen and disables all other controls on the IPOD (so you can't pick the song on it).

Lacking voice recognition of song titles, the Sync is worthless -- nothing more than a fancy CD player -- because you have to scroll through the songs on the dashboard (while you're driving) to pick one to play. I'm thinking this is firmware glitch on the Sync and it will be interesting to see how quickly a firmware update comes available for it. I am using the latest Ipod firmware available.

What a disappointment!

Joe
    Did you interrupt the indexing?

IPOD video is a "recommended device." You need to visit www.syncmyride.com and there is a pointer there to some info at apple that will help you.

Mark
    If you are having problems, visit www.syncmyride.com

Be aware that the #1 cause of Sync issues is attributable to human error.

Mark
    I figured out your problem.

If you want your IPOD to be controlable by the Sync system, you have to connect it with the USB cord, not the audio cord from the headphone jack.

YES the USB cord, the one you use to connect your IPOD to your computer.
    You might have to pick up another one. 2 bad the IPODS don't use generic USB cords :(

Mark
    Well I think we did something to our Sync. The voice recognition button on the steering wheel is not responding. The prompt for the command is gone.HELP! I think I need to take it to the dealer.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124171

Looks like it will start with 2009 models coming out later this year.