Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Real World MPG

13»

Comments

• usedtodrivevwusedtodrivevw Member Posts: 4
    That would be US gallons. At least according to my iPhone app anyway.
  • shilohduffeyshilohduffey Member Posts: 16
    I would think that the mileage differential between TX and Canada has much to do with the a/c. We're in the midst of one of the hottest summers on record, and we keep the thing on max ... all we change is the fan speed. Don;'t get me wrong ... it's a very efficient unit. I'll continue to track the mpg when the weather breaks, and will post my results ... probably sometime in October or November.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Having your A/C on "max" does not affect your fuel mileage at all vs having it on normal. MAX, simply means that you are recirculating the already chilled air in the car's interior, thereby allowing an even cooler evaporator air-temp.

The A/C compressor (which affects MPG) cycles the same amount of time. Only when it is off altogether would your mileage be better.
    This has been hot in Cda as well this summer. No matter where you go it is A/C weather except for now. Yesterday in fact I went to town and didn't have to run the A/C. (and I love my air conditioning) Had it been 'free use', yes I still would have used it though.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    If you are pumping from Canada gas stations, I would expect it to be Imperial. The iPhone app simply does the math, but an imperial gallon is larger, and would skew the MPG.
  • usedtodrivevwusedtodrivevw Member Posts: 4
    I am pumping from Canadian gas stations and I'm measuring the fill in litres, not gallons. The app I use is doing the calculations.

When I set the app (Roadtrip on my iPhone for those interested) to use MPG (UK) I end up with over 30PMG. If I take the 9.31 L/100km that I'm getting (and my odo is in KM and I am pumping in litres) and use Google to calculate that in MPG - I get 25.26 MPG. So I'm pretty sure that I've got the right numbers.

I noticed in a local newspaper ad for the Rogue, they were putting forth some relatively low numbers for L/100km (lower is better) like 7.0 but I'm assuming that's the FWD only.
  • jezmiajezmia Member Posts: 36
    what is the true miles difference for a 2WD and a AWD? the epa says 22/27 and 21/26 respectively. I am wondering if it is true before getting one.
  • mx6bfastmx6bfast Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2 WD, and the answer is "it depends"

During cool months I have hit 28 mpg a few times, mostly 26 - 27, in the summer when I run the AC it's usually in the 24 - 25 mpg range. This is in rush hour traffic with stop and go for roughly 15 - 20 minutes each way in Memphis where it gets hot and steamy. Since I am mostly on the highway those are the numbers I get. I also drive in the mid 70's to stay with traffic.

City I can only go by what my wife did when she had it for 2 months in the summer, and she was between 21 - 22 doing mostly city driving while pregnant. But she also has a quick foot since she drives a mustang.
    We have 2 '10 Rogue SL's. Overall, we're about 20 city, and got as high as 26.8 on a long trip. Our salesman told us to realistically expect about 19 city and 25 hwy. with AWD. Given that we live in an area where snow is not an issue, we opted for the FWD. The cost differential is around $1500.
    I didn't make myself clear about the a/c settings we use here in the oppressive Texas summers. By "max. a/c," I meant that we run the units on the coldest setting, changing only fan speed ... the compressor doesn't get much of a break down here. Still, we're Ok with the mileage, since the vehicles are such a pleasure to drive.
  • ken75ken75 Member Posts: 52
    This may be in the wrong spot and if it is please move to correct area in the forum.
    I am going to upgrade from an Altima to the Rogue SV with SL package. With the Altima, my mpg started at about 27 hwy and increased to about a steady 32 mpg. The Rogue has the same motor with some different gearing I would imagine. Can I expect to see somewhere in the 28 - 30 mpg region with old person driving habits. You folks that have had the car for awhile may be able to give me an informed answer. Incidently, I am getting the car for about $26,880. Is this in a reasonable price for the St. Paul area? Thank you for any reply.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    We've had our 2011 Rogue SV SL for about 3 weeks now and wanted to give our MPG estimates. So far we're getting 23.5mpg on average - mostly urban and city driving. A few highway trips here and there will raise that mpg, but overall we're happy with the mpgs.
    Still need to put more miles on it before we get a true picture.
  • sandygirlsandygirl Member Posts: 2
    I have 32,000 miles on my Rogue 2010 AWD. 80% of my miles driven are highway miles. I am in sales covering 3 states. from the get go...I avg 27 mpg and I am THRILLED!! I drove a Volvo sedan prior...getting the same mileage.

I track mileage/mpg. every week btw. AND I carry sales samples (4 filled suitcases plus misc binders, etc...front seat and cargo is FILLED!) one passenger/me.

Very happy w/my Rogue. Purchased April 2010.
  • circi2000circi2000 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Only 800 something miles so far. 80% city with lots of hills, 20% freeway and usually in traffic (it's construction season!). A/C has been on constantly in this heat and since I'm a smoker, the driver window is always halfway open. SV SL AWD, averaging 25.6 mpg according to the onboard computer. Very pleased!
  • rogue2012rogue2012 Member Posts: 3
    Last tank on a long highway trip my 2012 FWD averaged 28.5. Thats with AC on and using cruise on 70mph 50% of the the time. Om board said 28.9 so it was pretty close to the actual. I think I could average 31mpg or so in the cooler months without AC and not using cruise......but Im happy with 28.5 using some cruise.....much easier drive.

Ive averaged 26 mpg in the suburbs of North Ga with is very hilly. Thats according to the on board so real mpg is probably around 25.5. Not too bad for a vehile of this type.
  • tigerducktigerduck Member Posts: 1
    We are puzzled. We had a Rogue rental in Yellowstone last summer and got 44 mpg, no kidding. We thought the gas gauge is broken because it would not move and upon returning were told, that the car gets 44 mpg. That's what we came up with, but couldn't believe, being used to a 2001 Odyssey ;-) Can the driving style make that big of a difference? I guess we drove mostly longer distances and mostly around 55 mph or lower.
    We are car shopping now and I'm very annoyed that the posted mpg does not seem to reflect real world mpg for any given car really. Mostly being worse of course than better.
  • driver735driver735 Member Posts: 14
    I recently purchased a 2012 nissan rogue. Within the first couple of days i felt vibrations. The dealers states that this is normal for the cvt transmission in the rogue. The sales rep. also told me that other nissan owners have similar complaints. This vibration makes for a terrible driving experience. An automobile should run smoothly. It would appear that i am stuck with this car. Please people do not make the same mistake, find something else.
    I recently purchased a 2012 nissan rogue. Within the first couple of days i noticed a terrible vibration coming from the car. The dealer told me this was a normal part of the way the cvt transmission in the rogue operates, he also said other new owners have voiced the same complaint. How can vibrations be an expected part of the way a automobile operates ? This makes for a terrible driving experience, its impossible to get used to something like this. Please people do not make the same mistake, find something else.
  • mx6bfastmx6bfast Member Posts: 11
    Not normal. Take it to another dealer. You shouldn't feel the CVT.
    I recently purchased a 2012 nissan rogue. The next day i noticed vibrations coming from the car.I brought it back to the dealer several times. Finally i was told there was nothing they could do and that the vibrations were normal for the rogue cvt transmission. I was permitted to drive two others in their inventory, the vibrations were in those cars as well. I am presently stuck with this car. people stay clear away from this car, find something else.
  • sandygirlsandygirl Member Posts: 2
    My 2010 Rogue has 71000 miles on it. I experienced the "vibration" of the CVT early on but honestly, I don't even experience it all now. Maybe being broken in helps too. I LOVE my Rogue and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I have the base model.
    sandy
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Why have you posted the same thing 3X in the last few days? One time is more than sufficient....geesh..... :confuse:
  • 2002_accord2002_accord Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2012
    My first manual calculated mileage with odometer @ just 200 Miles.

Filled tanked, drove 70.1 miles (95% FWY), filled up again 2.7 gal, same gas station, same pump.
    Mileage ~26 MPG.

Satisfied with MPG so far.

I feel the dash MPG may not be accurate. I alway use the manual method (most accurate).
  • hiactivehiactive Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    Sadly here on the island of Oahu, my 2013 Nissan Rogue gas mileage has me running for alternative vehicle. After extensive research I bought the the Rogue due to its manufacturer reputation, my experience with Nissan and the fact that for its SUV class it beats most others in mileage. And to expect low 20's in city mid to upper 20's on highway. Not to mention for a 4 cylinder it has some power. Well that is where the false advertising comes in. I drive 90% City normally and see average of 12 miles a gallon. Yep! 12 miles a gallon. I have never seen either results here at all even when driving long distances on the highway I was luck to see 20-21 miles on the gauge. Nissan runs its testing and of course sees no issues. And shares that so many factors can effect it. I don't buy into that service results brush off, as an acceptable excuse or reasoning as my numbers are simply way way to off what is to be expected (see above) and what others have shared. After driving SUVS for 25 years I can guarantee all my there vehicles met the standards or were above even ones that were over 100k miles in use. Now I have to take this up with consumer affairs. Do please share your feedback especially if you live on the island or similar hills and stop and go landscape, so I can put some sense to all this.
  • AdamGrowAdamGrow Member Posts: 1
    It is Friday and I purchased a brand new Nissan Rogue SV 2016 on Monday. I am only getting 11.4 mpg in 80% City and 20% Highway driving! I am bringing it in to get looked at today after work. There are only 40 miles on it so far. I have read that it takes time for the engine to break in but I am not even in the ballpark!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    AdamGrow said:

It is Friday and I purchased a brand new Nissan Rogue SV 2016 on Monday. I am only getting 11.4 mpg in 80% City and 20% Highway driving! I am bringing it in to get looked at today after work. There are only 40 miles on it so far. I have read that it takes time for the engine to break in but I am not even in the ballpark!

You should really ignore mpg, until you have a full tank in. Actually, until you finish the second tank. 40 miles is not enough distance to get an average. Two long traffic lights could throw you off.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I would never even think about the MPG being off on new vehicle until I had at least a couple thousand miles on it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Are you a younger (under 50) car buyer who recently moved up from a sedan to new SUV/crossover, like a Rogue, HR-V, Q5, MKC or CT5? If you were a sedan fan who recently decided to make the switch to an SUV, a reporter would love to chat with you. Please send a note to PR@Edmunds.com telling us about why you decided to make the switch by Thursday, March 16, 2017. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews