Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid Engine

nexusprimenexusprime Member Posts: 2
I have an intrepid '98 and I wonder if my engine 3.2 v6 is american production or it is mitsubishi.

I ask becouse someone told my this.

Tanks for answers.

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    The 3.2 is an American engine, built by Chrysler. It's a smaller-displacement, all-aluminum version of the 3.5 that first came out in 1993. The 3.2 put out 225 hp and was used in the Intrepid ES and Concorde LXI models from 1998-2001, and then was replaced by a reduced hp version of the 3.5.

Mitsubishi made a 3.0 V-6 that Chrysler used in their minivans, the Dodge Stealth, and some of the larger versions of the K-cars. Mitsu also made a 2.5 V-6 from around 1995-2000, that was used in the Sebring/Stratus/Avenger/Cirrus midsized cars.
  • pep5pep5 Member Posts: 2
    Could you please help me find the location of the crank sensor on a 2000 intrepid. a picture would really help. Thanks
  • pep5pep5 Member Posts: 2
  • illini_1_fanillini_1_fan Member Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Intrepid and I have several codes on my car. One of the codes, I knew for sure that needs to be done, but these other codes are just terrible. The codes that I have are: P1784(manufacturer control/transmission), P0401(EGR flow/insufficient), P1698(Manufacturer control/auxillary inputs/auxillary outputs), P0736(reverse ratio/incorrect). Is there anyone out there that can help me find the true problem that I am having with my car? I have had the pulley replaced due to the fact that the barriens were gone in it, the water pump, and alternator replaced already. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
  • rickkim01082rickkim01082 Member Posts: 1
    have a 1994 dodge intreped has no spark and wont start replaced the crank sensor and the coil pack still no spark no start anyone have a clue to whats wrong :confuse:
  • alpinelabalpinelab Member Posts: 5
    hi i have a 2000 intrepid and the engine is making a tappin noise rather loud it seems to be coming from the top of the engine at the front just inside where the oil cap is. i changed the oil and had it flushed i also see its gettin oil up top. its gets faster with more reving. wondering if it might be timeing chain or something would really aprreachiate any opions or if ya need more info just let me know it still works good lots of power ect.. thx for any help
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    The pre 1998 3.5L engine is in no way related to the 1998 and later 3.5L or 3.2L engines. The later ones are aluminium block while the earlier ones were cast iron.
    The difference between the post 1998 3.2 and 3.5 engines is the cylinder bore.
  • lawanda333lawanda333 Member Posts: 1
    Can I change to another motor that will fit into the same car like a differant year that may not cost so much? :confuse:
  • mondainemondaine Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me where this is located :
  • raulmraulm Member Posts: 2
    if is a 2.7l, be real careful because your timing chain is loosing oil pressure; you need to change timing chain and gears, failure to do it, wiil cause engine to fail because of bent valves. that already happen to me.I had to repl. the engine because the 2.7 is too expensive. i had to use a 3.2 instaead if need more info send an email at raul3331@yahoo.com i will be happy to help you. engine swap is real easy and will save a lot of money. it will fit i did it in my 98 intrepid..
  • raulmraulm Member Posts: 2
    yes you can use a 3.2 or 3.5 instaed of the 2.7 just make sure that you get starter,
    a/c bracket,radiator alternator,throttle cable,and motor mount l/s, swaping the engine is real easy conectors are the same. the only little problem is cutting the exhaust pipes. cut pipes right after O2 sensors after first cat and before it goes down cut 2 inches on each side
    I've always been intrigued by this, and thought it would be kinda cool to do with my 2000 Intrepid if the 2.7 ever went south. However, the car now has about 139,000 miles on it, so at this point I imagine if the engine failed, I'd be better off just junking it and getting another car. And if I wanted another Intrepid, just seek out one with a 3.2 or 3.5.
  • tyree74tyree74 Member Posts: 1
    hey every one tells me not to get an dodge intrepid cuz of engine failur and did mercedes ever buy out dodge intrepid?
    hey every one tells me not to get an dodge intrepid cuz of engine failur and did mercedes ever buy out dodge intrepid?

If you can find one that's been well-maintained and not too high-mileage, an Intrepid can be a good car. Personally, if I were searching one out, I'd try to find one with the 3.2 or 3.5, as they're better engines than the 2.7. More powerful, almost as economical, more durable/reliable, and cheaper to repair or replace when they do break down.

I forget now when Mercedes took over Chrysler. I want to say it was 1998? That never really had any bearing on the Intrepid, though. The first-generation Intrepid, which ran from 1993-97, was more troubleprone, especially in the transmission department. Air conditioning problems were common as well, and on the 3.5 engine, I think water pump and timing belt problems were common. The 3.3 was a good, durable engine though.

The 1998 Intrepid was much-improved, but that was all Chrysler's doing. Mercedes had no input. I'd say about the only influence Benz had over the Intrepid was in 2002, when they did some decontenting. On the base model, they eliminated a few standard features such as the rear sway bar, tint on the top of the windshield, carpeting and cloth on the door panels, a cheaper cupholder in the console, etc.

Oh, and with the Benz takeover, development on the replacement LX cars (300/Charger/Magnum) was pushed back. I think they were originally supposed to be launched as 2003 models, but Daimler/Chrysler kept pushing it back until they were launched in early 2004, as 2005 models.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Regarding the "merger": it must have been in 1998/1999. I ordered our Intrepid in 2/99 and took delivery in 3/99. When I was ordering, the sales folk were talking about the takeover and that for the first time new cars were showing up with DaimlerChrysler on the window sticker. Ours did. Daimler (Mercedes) had nothing to do with the design of the Intrepid/300M/Concorde/LHS. It's my understanding that the underpinnings of these cars go back to AMC? ??? :shades:
    Daimler (Mercedes) had nothing to do with the design of the Intrepid/300M/Concorde/LHS. It's my understanding that the underpinnings of these cars go back to AMC? ???

I don't think the underpinnings of the LH cars were actually derived from AMC. However, the old AMC Premier/Dodge Monaco, from around late 80's/early 90's vintage, was FWD with a longitudinally-mounted engine/tranny. Chrysler might have studied those cars when they were designing the 1993 Intrepid and Concorde, but I don't know if any of their structure or underpinnings actually found their way into the LH cars.

I think the first Chrysler-badged vehicle that Mercedes really had a hand in was the Pacifica. It was originally supposed to be based on the LH cars, but then Mercedes held it back, to incorporate their own rear suspension into it, as well as other components.
  • markussmarkuss Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my daughter has a 1995 Dodge Intrepid, 6 cyl., 3.5 liter. Lately, she has been starting the car and the climate control, power windows and reverse lights won't work. The ABS light is also on. I had originally thought it was a fuse but the windows are on a different fuse and some things on the climate control/ABS fuse still work. I changed fuses and relays and sometimes, after changing fuses and relays, everything will work for two days or a week and then cut out again.
    She recently told me that when she turns the key for power, but not start the car, the windows work but when she starts the car, the windows will not work.
    I'm beginning to think it's the engine control module, the computer. Or I'm thinking a short in one of the reverse lights or tail light? Any help?
  • peter1micpeter1mic Member Posts: 1
    97 Dodge Intreped 3.3L what is the normal PSI for fuel? How long should it hold the PSI at the fuel rail? I get 43 PSI and think that may be normal. ??? Asking because i have a missfire at Idle I can feel. But i have no ck eng light on. also if I make a quick stop in, Like at the 7-11, when I go to restart the car it does not start the first time, but always fire up on the second try. I thought I was loseing PSI at the fuel rail because i had to make 2 trys at the restart, but iv got 42PSI at the rail. sound like a Elect problem??
  • pinky7pinky7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 /Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7 liter engine. It runs if I give it a charge but it knocks while you're driving down the road. . was wondering if it could be a simple fix that I may be overlooking, before I I go ahead and try and find another engine to put in it. I have also been told that the 3.5 and the 3.2 are better engines for this particular vehicle. Where should I start. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!
  • neecie700neecie700 Member Posts: 1
    My car will not start. I took it to several car places and they are giving me th run around about my car. First they said it was the wiring hornest, got that fix. Then they said it was the timing chain, that's not it. Then they said it was the cam sensor not that so they said that it's going to cost 1400 to get it fix but not for sure that is going to fix the problem. So i got it towed back home. I got someone to give me a jumpstart they said they did smell any gas flowing . What should i do now?
    Then they said it was the cam sensor not that so they said that it's going to cost 1400 to get it fix but not for sure that is going to fix the problem.

How many miles does this car have on it now? FWIW, I had a problem with the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors on my 2000 Intrepid 2.7. The car would usually start fine, but then would just stall out at random, without warning. At first, it only happened occasionally, and would always start back up after it stalled out. But then it happened more and more frequently, and wasn't always so easy to restart. I took it to my mechanic, and he replaced both sensors, camshaft and crankshaft, plus fixed a broken vacuum hose for about $520 total. That was back in May, and the car has been fine ever since.

First thing you might want to do is try finding a mechanic you can trust.
  • pinballwizdcpinballwizdc Member Posts: 1
    Is the conectors of a 2003 2.7 the same as 2003 3.5 looking to swap to the 3.5
  • 41coupe4me41coupe4me Member Posts: 4
    No you can't use anything but the 2.7 without changing the subframe,firewall to engine wiring harness and computer. I have a 2.7 from a 01 that was wrecked that is complete less valve covers and upper plastic parts for $950 plus shipping (no core needed) kenwalker1@cxox.net
  • bran9192bran9192 Member Posts: 23
    My son has a 97 Intrepid that won't start, have spark, air & fuel but will not start.The first time this happened we replaced the fuel pump relay fuse, the fuel gauge said there was 1/4 tank but didn't sound like it had anything in the tank. Added 5 gals gas and still wouldn't start. Tech at auto store said to hit the bottom of the tank while trying to crank and it started right up. He said the fuel float may have gotten stuck and not read right or a piece of debris had clogged the filter and we dislodged it after adding fuel. It ran fine for a week, didn't show no signs of problems then it wouldn't start. I don't want to replace everything on it just to eliminate the problem like others are saying they have done. How can I tell for certian its the fuel pump rather than the crankshaft or something else before going out to buy these parts...any suggestions?
  • stanman818stanman818 Member Posts: 2
    Check fuel pressure when it happens. Usually when you hit the tank and it starts it most likely the fuel pump.
  • bran9192bran9192 Member Posts: 23
    Stan
    Thanks for the response! I don't have a pressure tester however when you push the pressure test port fuel does spray out. When turning the ignition I don't hear the fuel pump ingauge so thats why Im not sure if its the fuel pump ( hearing isn't all that great) but almost sure it didn't kick in or could it be the fuel pump regulator etc.
  • joe192joe192 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Intrepid,with 97000 miles, has a knock coming for the left rear side of the engine. A said that there was,"...low compression in #5 CYL., after oil change #5 CYL. jumped to 90 psi. There maybe an possible Head problem or a sticking ring. The other CYL.'s has an psi. reading of 150." Do you think I should swap the engine with A 3.2 or a 3.5L? Or pay to have the cylinder head removed and inspected?
  • stormin2stormin2 Member Posts: 1
    2000 dodge intrepid 2.7 keep over heating took 3 half hour too change thermostat put in new bleeder screw the hole piece front to back i was told to open bleeder start car let run to fluild come out bleeder i did still running hot bleed again use 3 and half anti freeze let run gage go all way up no heat inside car car have 196,000 miles but look good i try everything never buy dodge again
  • edwardyongedwardyong Member Posts: 1
    I was replacing spark plugs on my 2004 intrepid and accidentally broke one of the hose/tube. Can someone tell me what hose/tube that was broken by me and how can i fix it? Below is the link to see the image of the broken hose/tube in red circle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38286570@N02/3523141829/
    I'm not sure, but it looks like some kind of vacuum hose. Could it be to the cruise control? Do they still use vacuum hoses and such, or are they totally electronic by now, I wonder? Actually, I'm taking my 2000 Intrepid, 2.7, to the mechanic this afternoon to get the oil pressure checked. The light flickers faintly on occasion, but I'm thinking it's just a sensor, wire, etc, and not an actual problem with the pressure. When I drop the car off, I'll show the mechanic that part on my car, and ask him what it is.
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    looks like a vacuum for the cruise control....avoid replacing but go to a hardware store and ask for a couple different sizes of heat shrink. find the tightest fit to go over it to join it back together and give it a flick of the lighter...should be just fine
    I asked my mechanic this afternoon, and it goes to the cruise control.
    I have a 2001 intrepid 2.7 and it started burning oil, I know the knock will be comming soon. I also have a perfectly good 2.7 out of a 98 just sitting there but i was told the EGR is different. can i use this motor?
  • jeromebjeromeb Member Posts: 31
    196,000 miles and you swear off the brand forever? Really? That seems a bit extreme.
  • taraborrelli1taraborrelli1 Member Posts: 2
    2000 dodge intrepid,2.7 liter engine, replaced crank shaft, rod bearings, all timing chain guides, tensioners, valve cover gaskets, timing guide cover gaskets, things we did not replace were: timing chain, oil pump, the engine has been taken apart and put back together 3 times. the last 2 times i started and let the car idle for 2 hours with no problem at all, i then turned the car off came back 1 hour later and did a test drive with in 10 minutes of actually being on the road the engine started smoking, the oil light came on and then 5 minutes later the engine started tapping up top. we have now went through this drill 2 times. the mechanic and i are stuck and do not know what to do. we have been advised to relace the oil pump, and something about boring out holes on the head where the oil drains back down. can you help?
  • taraborrelli1taraborrelli1 Member Posts: 2
    Engine Mechanical problem
    2000 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72,000 miles

2000 dodge intrepid,2.7 liter engine, replaced crank shaft, rod bearings, all timing chain guides, tensioners, valve cover gaskets, timing guide cover gaskets, things we did not replace were: timing chain, oil pump, the engine has been taken apart and put back together 3 times. the last 2 times i started and let the car idle for 2 hours with no problem at all, i then turned the car off came back 1 hour later and did a test drive with in 10 minutes of actually being on the road the engine started smoking, the oil light came on and then 5 minutes later the engine started tapping up top. we have now went through this drill 2 times. the mechanic and i are stuck and do not know what to do. we have been advised to relace the oil pump, and something about boring out holes on the head where the oil drains back down. can you help?
  • bubaluphagusbubaluphagus Member Posts: 3
    My '01 had the same problem, it was the timing chain. Mine ended up jumping a few teeth, and destroying my engine. Hope this helps.
  • bubaluphagusbubaluphagus Member Posts: 3
    I need to swap my 2.7 out for a 3.2. I would like to know what kind of mileage these 3.2s are lasting for. Three of the five 3.2 engines in Washington state have 135k on them. Are these 200 or 250k engines, or am I going to end up replacing the engine again in a few thousand miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    "I need to swap my 2.7 out for a 3.2. I would like to know what kind of mileage these 3.2s are lasting for. Three of the five 3.2 engines in Washington state have 135k on them. Are these 200 or 250k engines, or am I going to end up replacing the engine again in a few thousand miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated."

As you no doubt know and anyone here will tell you: it's about maintenance. And the key factor is frequency of oil/filter changes. Since you are going used engine route, it's a crap shoot.

My '99 3.2 has 151,000 miles, uses no oil. It has had every 3000 mile oil and filter changes.
  • norcal2010norcal2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hi my name is cal if you looking location from crankshaft sensor is in bell housing in the trasmission (left side).
    is under distributor in bell housing in the trany.black sensor with two wires.
    HI good after noon.i have a 1998 intrepid 2.7 i change my engine and i put 2002 engine 2.7 i instale the all the harness for 1998.now the car dont run i have to disconect my camshaft sensor to make run but engine light read camshaft sensor .thank you to every body.
  • workmasonworkmason Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dodge Intrepid and when it gets warm it dose not like to start,, Not all the time,, thats why No one can figure it out,,, but when it dose start, it will shake like it is misfiring , But no codes,, and it will take a bit for it to run smoothly, but once it dose start to run right it works Great,,, We thought that it was the EGR valve so we disconnected it, and it still dose it,,, the fuel put PSI is right around 43 or so even when its acting up ,,
    I brought it to do different place's and no one know what wrong,, I even put in a different fuel pump,,,
    Can any one HELP ME ??
  • jay1978jay1978 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    yes i got a 1998 chrysler concord . i am getting oil up to the passenger side head but nothing to the drivers side can someone tell me what to do
  • corona89corona89 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    first of all this is common they have recalled the 2.7lt engine because the faulty design! time chain and engine failure is most common with them>What they did when they design the motor the oil ports run too close to the manifold n exhaust! which cooks the oil and gives u sludge in return it is recommended to use rotella full synthetic oil it is thinner allowing it to pass easier.5w40 this is why the timing chain is a problem because the motor cant lube itself well enough cause break and damage. put if there is a tapping noise coming from the oil area more than likely you motor is read to go any time!!!oh what fun.. these motors n high demand bcuz of so many problem so not only u be lucky to find one they r junk any how i would reccommend putting the 3.2 in or u would b wasting ur time. thats if u decide to keep t. have 3 currently my 00 model burns oil like there no 2morrow. just turned over 200 thousand miles! my 98 time chain is gone but i have another for parts so until i run out of parts ill be driving it 2 the wheels fall off! other than that i refuse to waste any money on them. now also its possible to b ur cooling fan it will make a tapping noise to if it no count(WITH ENGINE OFF) you can check it by giving it a good spin it should spin freely!if it dont u know what to do!hope ii was of some help
  • corona89corona89 Member Posts: 3
    i doubt u will get a swap the 2.7 have been recalled!the whole motor is waste they designed it when the oil ports run too close to exhaust/manifold causing it to cook your oil giving u sludge in return! and also built with a oil pump that puts out to lil pressure causing it not to b able to lube itself leading to time chain breakage!bcuz of the poor manf... there is no way of avoiding the engine failure u could change oil every day it wouldnt matter! i have a 2000 i have been driving for 1yr just turned over200000! so i maybe one of the few that made it that far! i say it will been needing tranny and motor sometime another but i have a 98 the time chain is out and another for parts other than that i dont reccommend putting money in it unless u change the engine size! u just wwasting money by putting the same back in it being recalled plus in high demand a used motor ur looking at1,400 and up! good luck with that go to www.carcomplaints.com type make n model youll be surprised
  • jalowjalow Member Posts: 2
    I am rebuilding the engine and ready to do the crankshaft. Does anyone have the specifications for the torque on the crankshaft bolt caps?
  • jalowjalow Member Posts: 2
    Since you already replaced the crankshaft I thought you might have the information I need. I need the torque to the main crankshaft cap bolts. Would you happen to have that information you could share with me?
    i have a 01 intrepid and a 98 as a parts car. looking to switch the motor but the map sensors are different. they are both 3 wire, can i cut and join? or do i have to switch the intakes?
  • hoelatthemoonhoelatthemoon Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I just rebuilt my original 2.7 engine in my 2000 dodge intrepid and am having the exact same problem. Have you come up with a solution yet?