Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door panels

Comments

• Options
    davejeepdavejeep Member Posts: 1
    I just got off the phone with Chrysler (800-992-1997). They stated they would not help me with covering the charge for the shotty (sp?) materials used in fabricating the doors. I told the rep that this was a MAJOR safety concern that 3 of my 4 door panels are cracked. He told me with the mileage I have on the jeep (74K) it would be considered "wear and tear". I explained to him that if it was one door out of 4, I would definitely agree; however 3 out of 4 leads me to believe the materials used where sub-par. I filed a complaint, which I was told I probably would not get any correspondence back on (who do these people think they are?). I asked the rep what was gonna have to happen before Chrysler starts looking into this? He couldn't answer. I asked if this was his vehicle and he was driving his family around and happen to get into an accident and no one could get out of the vehicle if he thought that was a safety concern. He stated he couldn't personally comment.

Honestly, it's gonna take a class action law-suit, death pertaining to the manufactur's defect, or government inquiry before these pin heads create a recall for this. Anyone heard any additional informatiopn about a class action? If so, I would be interested in hearing more about it.
  • Options
    jpalanjianjpalanjian Member Posts: 4
    I also started a claim. The man who called back was very rude and had the audacity to say they had NEVER had any other complaints/problems with the door panels. He told me the car was out of warranty (and wouldn't be coveredby waranty anyway) and there was nothing they would do for me. My response will be to advertise negatively as much as possible! SO DON"T BUY JEEP!
  • Options
    Has any seen any other forums/blogs on this topic?
  • Options
    texasbob1texasbob1 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have the same problem with my 2006 Grand Cherokee. I also called Jeep as the warrantee was expired. They said they would review. they called me back and said that I hadn't spent enough money at the dealership!!! They were more concerned with helping someone that spends more money than honoring their defective product.

Anyway, I developed a fix! If you have substantially all the little pieces of the shattering handle mold, super glue them into place. The glue will not hold the panel under regular use but is only to hold it together for a short time. Then, take fiberglass resin with hardener and spread a layer on the back side of the molded part (carful not to get it into the handle area), place some pieces of fiberglass sheet, then another layer of resin. Once it hardens, it will be stronger than a new one.

It saved me from spending $1,200. You see the cracks from the inside of the car, but it's just another way to bring up the crapy quality of Jeep/Chrysler. No surprise to me that they went bankrupt.
  • Options
    yacahumayacahuma Member Posts: 8
    My jeep Grand Cherokee 2005 has only 37900 miles and 3 of the 4 handles are broken, GONE. Please file a complaint with the NHTSA. Also other with the same problem in youtube
    youtube.com
  • Options
    brentwoodkrisbrentwoodkris Member Posts: 15
    Update: It's now been well over 3 months and my door panels have still not arrived at my dealer. Apparently, the RH Front door panel is on 'national backorder' they tell me. If that many people need the door, you think Chrysler would realize that they need to recall the doors. Or maybe not. Anyways, I'll keep updating, but the dealer tells me my 4th panel won't be in until at least mid September.

Oh and as for the NHTSA, I filed a complaint months ago and never even received a followup now three months later...
  • Options
    bkwilliams4089bkwilliams4089 Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE IF YOU HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM GOTO NHTSC AND FILE A COMPLAINT SO CHRYSLER/JEEP WILL FIX THIS MJOR SAFETY PROBLEM. THEY SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR POOR PRODUCT, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION. I HAVE 4 BROKEN DOORS WHERE THREE DOORS REQUIRE A PERSON ON THE OUTSIDE TO LET THEM OUT. IF YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT. THIS SHOULD BE FIXED AT THE COST OF THE CAR MANUFACTURER. WILL IT REQUIRE A DEATH TO GET THEM TO LISTEN. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • Options
    I filed today. :lemon:

I also started a blog about it.

Their current advertising is a big joke! ooo their undercarriage is made of steel....but their doors are made of cheap plastic and you can't get out of your car!

I'll join in on any letter! email is jpalanjian@embarqmail.com
  • Options
    Yeah after paying Jeep $685, they installed 3 new door panels for my jeep, BUT ONE WAS THE WRONG COLOR. Now I'm back to waiting for the other TWO to come in now. However, even though it's the wrong color, at least it works. I also got them to comp me the 4th door since it's been backordered for 5 months...
  • Options
    jeepers19jeepers19 Member Posts: 13
    Wow, unbelieveable, I was at my Jeep dealership yesterday getting a new key, and one of the mechanics drove up in a Jeep Wrangler and showed me the cracked interior door panel of the Wrangler he was repairing and said "I hope this doesn't happen to your Jeep". I had no clue what he meant at the time, I didn't think it was a manufacturing defect, but now I know better after reading this thread. Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with the door panels on my 2005 JCG, but now I am forewarned, the cracks are just probably just around the bend.
  • Options
    Chrisb44, I am not sure if the manufacturing date is the issue. My 2005 JCG Limited, 5.7Hemi also shows a manufacturing date of Nov, 04 but so far I have not had any issues with my door trim or door handles. I just did a careful inspection of all the door trims and door handles with a flashlight and I have no cracks or issues so far.
  • Options
    I am in Puerto Rico. All my 4 handles are broken. I went directly to Chrysler. They are telling me that it cost 2200. They will pay half, so my cost is 1100. I am incline to accept since I am really worried about someone not able to open the doors. How much is the cost in the US?
  • Options
    It's about the same price here in Florida, maybe $200 cheaper, you pay around $300 per door out of pocket with Chrysler covering the rest.
    The plastic they used originally on these vehicle doors is obviously cheap and defective, but I'm wondering if the problem is worse in hotter climates. I know it can get 130 degrees inside a parked car during the summer time here in Florida. So I wonder if the heat is a contributing factor to the weakening of the plastic.
  • Options
    The warmer climate could be a factor as I bought my Jeep from a guy in Georgia. As for cost, Jeep originally quoted me 2200, then covered half. "Lucky" for me I guess that it took 5 months to get in 3/4 of the panels, and when they installed them, one was the wrong color. That was last week. So I complained some more and got the one that hasn't come in fully comp'd (and it was a front more expensive one) so my total out of pocket will be $684. However, as of now, I'm still waiting on the "national backordered" front right door and my rear left is black instead of khaki. Who knows when the new panels will arrive...Jeep certainly has no clue.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This sucks. It is a take it or leave it kind of deal. If I dont pay 1100, I get stock with broken door waiting to see if years from now they actually recall this piece of crap. BTW I talked to someone with a 2007 jeep, same problem. Also the black shift cover is completely broken in my car.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I tell you, before I joined this forum, looking for a reason as to why my JGC electronics were acting as if they were possessed, I had no idea the newer Jeeps had this many issues and faulty workmanship. Thankfully, I have not yet experienced any issues with the door panels on my 05 JCG, but hearing from you all, it is probably just a matter of time. At first I thought it might have been just a bad batch, but after seeing it happening on the 05, 06, and 07's so far, along with the Wrangler model as well, this goes beyond a bad batch. It should have been recalled long ago.
  • Options
    maj1614maj1614 Member Posts: 4
    Who did you all speak to at Crysler? My dealer in Fla keeps telling me they haven't heard of this issue and it is $700 per door! Two doors completely gone, two more on the way.
  • Options
    Yeah they always say they've never heard of it. "Plausible Deniability" lol. I've talked to several different reps up there, you just keep having to ask to speak to someone higher each time. I'm just glad after struggling for the past six months, that I'll get 4 new ones for $684, if the last two panels ever come in...
  • Options
    Just show them this forum, and show them the video in youtube. That is what I did and the guy did not said anything. You have to go directly to a Chrysler building near you. I talked to a Field Service Representative at Chrysler International Services (dcx.com)
  • Options
    rekswazeyrekswazey Member Posts: 2
    If your door handles start to spider crack or chip off in little places.You can mold fiberglass around the plastic thats holding the door handle. The door panels have three screws and the rest are clips, easy to remove. Use some super glue to fill the cracks, then apply the fiberglass. This doesn't take long and it's definitely better than waiting for the problem to get worse. I know longer see the spider cracks on my driver door, which now feels strong and the passenger door had a small crack, which the line is still visible but the door handle isn't going any where.
    Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!
  • Options
    jcabjcab Member Posts: 1
    If for any reason, may be an accident, your electrical system fails, the windows can not be opened and people will be locked inside the vehicle. I believe that Chrysler should not only replace the door panels for free, but also enhance the panels to avoid future problems.
  • Options
    Only time will tell. MAYBE if they get enough complaints, they'll do something. Unfortunately according to my knowledge, every person who calls gets the "we've never seen this problem before" speech from the reps.
  • Options
    wobywoby Member Posts: 9
    This is what you need to do
    http://img32.imageshack.us/f/fotouk.jpg/

Mine came a perfect job
  • Options
    csteakleycsteakley Member Posts: 2
    exactly. all 4 of my doors cracked or shattered at same time. 38,000 miles
  • Options
    csteakleycsteakley Member Posts: 2
    csteakley--all 4
  • Options
    good luck with the fab guys! I'm just waiting on my last stock door panel to come in! Hopefully they won't brak anytime soon!
  • Options
    igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2010
    For those of you who are stuck footing the bill on a lot of these repairs or even paying a portion of what Chrysler/Jeep charges, you might want to consider buying the parts from a salvage yard (auto parts recycling, as they now all it). There's a site called- car-part.com and it's basically a search engine for used parts at thousands of different salvage dealers across North America.

I've purchased a new rear seat cushion, driver's side door panel, rear window switch and an Infinity AM/FM CD head unit to replace the dead CD player in my '95 Laredo. I also bought a transmission and A/C compressor for my Mazda earlier this year using the site. It has saved me thousands already and it's the only way I'd be able to keep my '95 Jeep (over 200,000 miles) on the road! =)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • Options
    andybwellandybwell Member Posts: 4
    On the drivers door, the plastic supporting the interior door handle has broken this morning, leaving the handle unmounted and useless and at first read, is not covered under my extended warranty. Obviously, this is a safety hazard as it takes more time to egress the vehicle in an accident. Do you have a telephone number of the field service representaive you talked to? The web site is huge!
  • Options
    Just call the corporate number and follow the menu to customer service. They'll open up a case for you and then you can begin the long song and dance that Jeep is putting us all through.
  • Options
    On the drivers door, the plastic supporting the interior door handle has broken this morning, leaving the handle unmounted and useless and at first read, is not covered under my extended warranty. Obviously, this is a safety hazard as it takes more time to egress the vehicle in an accident.
    UPDATE: After contacting Jeep at 1-800-521-9922 and filing a case (initially they declined my claim under my 100,000 mile 7 year maximum care upgrade extended warranty on my 80,000 mile 2005 5.7 hemi grand cherokee, stating that it was "wear and tear"). After I took 40 + complaints from the NHTSA website http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm to the dealer, and the dealer called Jeep, they are paying for the repair with a $50.00 copay. Unfortunately, the driver's front door panel is on national back order.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    After contacting Jeep at 1-800-521-9922 and filing a case (initially they declined my claim with my 100,000 mile 7 year maximum care upgrade extended warranty on my 80,000 + mile 2005 5.7 hemi grand cherokee, stating that it was "wear and tear or possible abuse"). After I took a miryiad of complaints from the NHTSA website http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm click search selected type, select year, 2005, select make jeep model--grand cherokee, click "select this check box"--- to the dealer, and the dealer called Jeep, they are paying for the repair with a $50.00 copay. Unfortunately, the driver's front door panel is on national back order. The more who complain, the better the result.
  • Options
    pjdpro71pjdpro71 Member Posts: 3
    This is most encouraging news, I will certainly call... Thanks !!
  • Options
    glennalglennal Member Posts: 2
    For those who don't have any warranty, Can't afford new door panels, or can't get any resolution from the dealer. I've come up with a few alternatives and started a site JeepEdge.com to show what I did with mine. The door panels are easy to pull off. So hopefully, maybe one of these repairs can help you out. If you are not the most mechanically inclined, then maybe you can show it to a friend who is, or your local mechanic and try to work something out.
    If you have some suggestions, then please post or contact on the site. I'm always looking for a better solution to a problem!
    I've also had a few other issues with my Jeeps. So if you have some of the same problems, hopefully it will help you with those also.
    Good luck. We all need it.
  • Options
    leitev8leitev8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Limited Grand Cherokee and all 4 door handles are broken!! This happened when the car had over 75k miles, now I'm at 85k. This is just unbelievable, Jeep needs to fix this under a recall!! How am I gonna get out of the car in case of a accident?? I need to lower the windows and reach for the exterior door handle.... I will never, never buy another Chrysler product in my life!!!!
  • Options
    jeep representative in now hiding from me. this is getting ridiculous. Does anyone have any idea if we could use parts from another manufacturer and get the handle working again????
  • Options
    What component did you use for your search? I am not finding that many complaints.
  • Options
    shannon264shannon264 Member Posts: 1
    if you dont' start a class action sutie, i'm going too, all four of mine have broke, I have not contacted Chrystler yet, but I did call my local dealership and it was going to be 700 for the front and 415 for the back ones, with labor and taxes, it would be $2,610.80, lol to replace that little plastic backing. So I guess i need to get in on that order as well.
  • Options
    I wish I had the time to start a class action suit but between working on my graduate degree full time and working two jobs to pay for it, I really don't have enough free time to follow through with it. As of last week, the final (fourth) door panel finally came off of national backorder and was installed on my Jeep. That puts my final bill at $685 for all four panels after fighting with Chrysler corporate since April 2010. I'm just glad to have four new panels and hope that they actually last for the 12month warranty (well I hope they last forever and if they break, that they'll break in warranty). If someone DOES get a suit started, I'll be glad to sign onboard, because I wouldn't mind recouping my $685 under a recall order.
  • Options
    silverjeep11silverjeep11 Member Posts: 1
    When driving 2011 JGC I am starting to notice some rattling noise in the dash on the passenger side. Noise occurs on semi-rough road conditions. Has anyone else has this problem?
  • Options
    eddie88eddie88 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2011 JGC. Has anyone been able to determine what is causing this?
  • Options
    A couple of weeks ago. Chrusler replaced all 4 door panels at no cost. Just labor(less than 200). The only explanation. A miracle.
  • Options
    SurreyHollySurreyHolly Member Posts: 2
    The back door of my Jeep Grand Cherokee wont open. Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?
  • Options
    tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    what year there is a small plate in the door trim bout in the middle that you pry off and can get at the lock there
  • Options
    ghostsailorghostsailor Member Posts: 2
    I apologize, that in a prior post I made a mistake on 1 digit of the Chrysler phone number. The Toll Free Number for Chrysler is listed at http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_contracts/contact_information/?section=contac- t_information I called the one for Warranty to file a complaint...

Follow these 10 simple steps, & Chrysler WILL reimburse you for defective door panels:

You MUST take that stance that THIS IS A VEHICLE SAFETY issue, due to a supplier's defective plastic resin mix, not a warranty issue. In case of a crash or fire, a passenger or driver might not be able to get out of the vehicle and die from this defect. You don't want to get sued, and you don't want to have to go through the trouble of suing Chrysler for this; you just want to get it fixed!!!

Chrysler recovers the cost of this repair from their supplier via their Supplier Recovery Process, which is in every automotive supplier's contract. You or Chrysler don't pay for this; the supplier pays.

STEP # 1 - COMPLAIN TO National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
    File an online complaint at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
    List it under "LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES" for your 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee...
    65 complaints are currently under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES
    29 are under: STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR
    10 complaints are under: LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH

STEP # 2 - ARM YOURSELF WITH DATA
    Print out all 104+ complaints under these 3 categories so you have this as ammunition. You did not cause this situation.

STEP # 3 - GET A CHRYSLER COMPLAINT REFERENCE # (CASE #)
    Call the Toll Free Number for Chrysler (listed at http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_contracts/contact_information/?section=contac- t_information - I used the one for Warranty) and start a complaint case number (reference number). BE NICE and POLITE. Don't make a big ruckus a the start. State your case that you have defective plastic that is breaking, cracking, falling off, on all 4 of your door handle assemblies in your door panels. You've heard from other Jeep owners that Chrysler knows about their supplier's defective plastic that was used in the door panels.

STEP # 4 - GET A CASE MANAGER
    Stick to your position. Your goal in your first 2 or 3 phone conversations is to get escalated to a Case Manager.

STEP # 5 - GET AN EVALUATION AND PICTURES
    Tell your Case Manager that you'd like to email or send in some digital pictures to him/her to show the cracks and holes in your door panels where your door handles are connected. Your CM should tell you to go to a local Chrysler/Jeep dealer service center to have them (an independant 3rd party) "do an evaluation" and take pictures that they will send to the CM. Call and make a dealership service appointment. BE NICE & POLITE at the dealership, and give them your case number. They should testify that you did not break the door handles, and they look defective because of cracks but not impact dents, etc, and you were a nice loyal Jeep customer. You should have his direct extension by now, so notify your CM that the dealership saw the defective parts and took pictures.

STEP # 6 - NEGOTIATE
    The CM will receive the pictures and server manager's comments about you, and the defects on your Jeep. Expect further escalation; the CM will talk with you and his manager for approvals for an offer to help you out. The first offer may be for 50% to 60% of the repair. If at least a 90% reimbursement of about $2,400 is not offerred, now is when you begin to up the stakes.

STEP # 7 - RAISE THE STAKES
    Your position is: A) THIS IS A VEHICLE SAFETY issue, due to a supplier's defective plastic resin mix, not a warranty issue. B) In case of a crash or fire, a passenger or driver might not be able to get out of the vehicle and die from this defect. C) If something like this happens, you don't want to get sued, and you don't want to have to go through the trouble of suing Chrysler for this; you just want to get it fixed!!! D) Chrysler recovers the cost of this repair from their supplier via their Supplier Recovery Process, which is in every automotive supplier's contract. You or Chrysler don't pay for this; the supplier pays. You should get several offers for Chrysler to reimburse you (pay you back) for a portion of the replacement/repair.

STEP # 8 - AS A LAST RESORT THREATEN LEGAL ACTIONS
    State your position again (above). E) Your concern is for the safety of people and possibility of deaths due to a vehicle defect. F) Offer to FAX in your list of 104+ complaints listed with the NHTSA, which are identical to your complaint. G) If you are sued, this case is a record of your similar complaint and the liability lies with Chrysler. You would like to avoid this. H) Tell the CM that you will be contacting your attorney (lawyer) and sending a copy of your complaint, this Chrysler case #, and a copy of the list of 104+ similar complaints. I) Your CM will have to discuss this with his Director for further approvals, so expect a few more days of phone tag.

STEP # 9 - FINALIZE THE OFFERS
    You should only have to pay a max of $125, maybe zero ($0) to have this $2,400 replacement/repair done. This depends on how POLITE you have been, how diligent you are, how much PATIENCE you have, etc.

STEP # 10 - REPAIR AND FILE
    Procedurally: Once your CM and his Director approves, he will give you specific instructions. You'll have to arrange the repair service and pay the dealership yourself. Then, per your CM's instructions, submit the case #, with a copy of the work order & receipts, to Chrysler and they will mail you a check back.

Enjoy your Jeep again! THE END!
    The Ghost Sailor
  • Options
    skg2skg2 Member Posts: 1
    Finally, after months of surfing the net, I am finding other posts from people having the same door panel problems I have experienced. My 2005 Grand Cherokee has all four door panels cracked and broken where the door handle is located. The back seat passengers can not open the doors from the inside of the car. This is Very Dangerous!! I have been to 3 Jeep Dealerships in Austin, Texas and get the same old "We have never had a compliant or seen this before. Sorry can't help you". That was just one dealership being "nice". The other two were awful to me. This is my last Chysler product.......... never again will I buy a car where I get such horrible service. I am going to file a complaint with Chysler. This is obviously a defect in the 2005 manufacting of the Grand Cherokee Jeeps. If more filed complaints then perhaps there will be a recall.
  • Options
    dredd17dredd17 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, so I get to step 3 and talk to Chrystler. The guy pretty much shut me down right out gate, stating the vehicle was not under warranty and there was no recall. I pled my case of the safety issue and the fact that it is well documented in the NHTSA website of the failure. I was told, that they would call me if any thing changed. I was given a case number, but I guess it doesnt mean anything since they are not going to call me back. So how do I put step 4 in to effect? I just call them and tell them that I want a case manager? I'm not sure what it is I need to say or do to get to that point.
  • Options
    Yeah ask for a case manager and state your case. Obviously you got blown off.
  • Options
    thrasher04thrasher04 Member Posts: 2
    There is a kit available that fixes the handle housing and not the entire panel. The kit repairs the broken and cracked door handles by replacing the defective plastic that caused the issue. There are 3 options to resolve this handle issue, in order from the most expensive option to the least:

The dealer
    The junkyard
    The handle kit

The only other temporary fix would be removing the panel and glueing the pieces of your handle back together. These are the options available to resolve this unfortunately very common problem.
  • Options
    sigourneysigourney Member Posts: 1
    There are currently 160 complaints logged with NHSTA. I have talked to several case managers and their supervisors at Jeep/Chrysler to no resolve. I have sent e-mails and made phone calls to news media, Attorney general office, and FTC. Who did you talk with that helped resolve your door handles and get reimbursed??? I have young children and cannot open our back doors to get them out in case of emergency. NHTSA says it could take a year to investigate. ??? Please help. Thanks.