Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Programing New Key on a Jeep Liberty

yakersyakers Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I have a 2006 Liberty CRD and bought a replacement key. I have two keys but when I go to the directions for programing a new key (on page 16 of the owners manual) is says (literally) on step 4:

Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and
turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10
seconds, a single chime will sound. The Sentry Key/
Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing, turn
on for 3 seconds; then turn off.
The new Sentry Key has been programmed.

OK, its pretty bad English, but how do you turn on something that is ALREADY on?

Anyone gone through the process and can tell me the right steps to follow?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    OK, its pretty bad English, but how do you turn on something that is ALREADY on?

I don't think it is instructing you to turn it on a second time. I think it is informing you that the alarm indicator will turn on for three seconds - after it stops flashing - and then it will turn itself off.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • yakersyakers Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, it worked as, sort of, stated. Nice to have spare key. I suggest owners make a backup copy (3rd key) when they already have tow keys. Its easy to program and MUCH cheaper than getting a second key from the dealership.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Way to go - glad it worked!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • walker89walker89 Member Posts: 2
    Does this work if I just have one key left? Where do you get your replacement key and kid? I have aJeep Liberty 2005. Thanks
    No you need two keys with the security chip, not necessarily the remote lock keys. I had to buy one form the dealer for over $100 and then I had two, I ordered another remote key and a security key off the internet and programmed them as spares. The non remote key is @$25, and that with an original key will allow programming another key. IMHO good insurance for everyone to have a third key to be able to program a new key if one is lost.
  • jb2007qjb2007q Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 jeep liberty it had no keys and I just got a new one how do I reprogram it.
    Look in the owners manual. Thee is a procedure for programming a key but it takes two keys currently programmed to the Jeep to make the third. If you hae less than two programmed keys as far as I know you have to go to a dealer to have the whole system reprogrammed.I had only one key when I bought my Jeep used and it cost a bunch to get the second from a dealer. Now I have backups.
  • tom1147tom1147 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 jeep liberty. Someone stole one of the spare keys. Is it possible to reprogram the remaining keys so that the stolen key no longer works?