Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Mazda CX-9

unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
edited May 2014 in Mazda
Comments, questions and reviews on the 2008 CX-9.

Comments

• kbedwardskbedwards Member Posts: 41
    cross posted from 2007 CX9 forum:

For anyone that is considering buying, please note that overall I love this vehicle, and have said as much in a couple of other forums here. This is more an addendum to those other mini reviews after I have owned the vehicle for several months now.

So the fact that I am posting some negative issues should not really sway anyone since out of all the models I looked at and considered, the CX9 still won out - i.e. every vehicle has flaws and negatives to go with the good stuff of course (and I would buy it again today if that helps).

I have the 08 CX9 GT, FWD with all the goodies.

Interior space:

Space has not yet been an issue, and my wife's aunt and brother are visiting our house for more than 2 weeks, so it has been tested multiple times, and vigorously in this dept.

We have EASILY packed the following into the CX9 (at the same time):
    Mom
    Dad
    Uncle (3rd row)
    Aunt (center 2nd row)
    3 yr old in booster (2nd row)
    6 mos old in carseat (2nd row)
    85lb dog in back
    stroller

Now granted, there was not much room for anything else, but the entry and exit times for all those beings/things was pretty impressive imo.

This is exactly why I bought the vehicle, and was pleased to find out that it delivered on that front.

Now if I had those two extra adults to fit on a daily or even continual basis, I would have bought a minivan, no question, but this was a once a year, maybe once every 2 yrs thing, so no big deal.

DRIVING:

Continues to impress. Handling is superb for a vehicle this size. Acceleration is decent. Transmission is butter smooth.

I have been wavering about the ride though. At first I posted a comment about how I thought people who decried the 20" wheels ride as too rough were being overly sensitive, but I can see the point now after some time.

Let's just say, in hindsight, if I had had a choice to choose the GT model with 18" wheels instead of 20" I would have done so. Not only because I imagine the cost to replace those things will be insane, but also for ride comfort of passengers. It is very European, in that you definitely feel the road more, which has positives and negatives. You get better feedback when driving, but you also get "feedback" when you hit a pothole. I will say when you do encounter a pothole, it recovers VERY quickly, but there is a pretty big jolt probably due to the low profile of the tires.

Road noise. Not as quiet as I had hoped on the interstate. More wind noise than anything else, as the cabin itself seems pretty well insulated. But like my Passat wagon, when you hit cruising speeds on the interstate, the wind hitting (side view mirror is what it sounds like) obstructions can really start to whistle. But again, this IS a Mazda, and not a Lexus, so there ya go (though they are pricing this model like it was a Lexus!) Not really a big issue or a dealbreaker at all, just a note.

FIT/FINISH:

The floor mats are the worst I have ever seen in any car I have bought. Just awful. I would probably go ahead and plan to buy some 3rd party (like Weathertech) or even Mazda's own all weather mats, even if you don't live in a climate that needs that, because the default ones are sooooo cheap looking - they are so lightweight and cheap that mine are already starting to pull off the floor at some of the corners. Real shoddy, Mazda, does not at all go with high quality material used in the rest of the cabin.

OPTIONS:

Sound:
    I have barked about this already, but I am even more down on the sound system than I was previously. The Bose system they have with the "premium" audio package (I got the RSE) is pure crap, no other way to put it. Not sure if it's the head unit or the speakers, (I think the unit), but normal CD's (even after I have spent MUCH time tweaking audio settings) sounds just terrible. Overly boomy bass, NO mid range, ack. I can't say enough about how disappointed I am considering the extra cost.

OTOH, the sound of the DVD system is phenomenol. Surround is incredible and believable, so I tried some CD's in the DVD player and it seems to be somewhat better (because I have more options I think, to tweak). Still testing this.

Video on DVD is mediocre at best.

Have not tested headphones that come with it yet.

Locking/opening:

This still baffles me. Not sure why, but after many months, I still can't seem to get "the system" (and yes I have read the ENTIRE manual). The memory seats only work if you click the LOCK button on the remote entry key. If you use the button on the door, this does NOT work, so it kinda defeats the purpose of a keycard (not having to pull out the card when you want to open or start car).

I just think the whole system could be better, or better integrated at least.

Maybe I will try having the dealer reprogram to do the auto locking and unlocking thing. that would probably help out (it's off by default).

Mileage:

Wow, it's horrible! I mean, maybe not relatively, but for us, coming from 2 VW's (4 cylinder Passat and even a V6 GTI) we have to fill up the tank ALL the time. Not so much concerned about that as I wish they would have used a larger tank...just a pain to have to constantly stop for gas.

Climate control works great.

Bluetooth works great

Nav system itself is awful RELATIVE to personal units you can buy like Garmin, but will get you where you want to go (if you have a specific address). I would consider the NAV as just the MOST basic GPS you could find on the market - i.e it does the bare minimum (which is really all I need, so not really that much of a complaint from me)

It is not friendly to use, the interface is plain bad, the graphics are worse (though if you are just listening this should not be a problem). They should completely overhaul the NAV for 09 imo.

Love the adjustable headlights.

Love the quality of the leather.

Love the overall look, except for the chrome, which is completely cheesy imo (which is why I got a platinum one which contrasts with the chrome the least, so much less noticeable than say on the blue). That is completely subjective though, some probably like chrome everything.

Rearview camera - I use it a LOT more than I thought I would. Glad to have it.

Power liftgate: I thought I would use this a LOT more...but I find myself almost never using it. Maybe the wife does, not sure.

I guess if you have a hand free to be able to click on the keycard to close it remotely, or even able to reach up and push the button on the gate itself, you are probably able to just close it with your hand! Not sure why I thought this would be such a great feature, but again, my 5ft tall wife may beg to differ on that point.

Oh, I also had to take it in to dealer because it was pulling to left pretty severely on the interstate.

Overall impression after several months (1-10 scale): 8.5
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    I am in the process of ordering a CX-9, however I would like to have further information in 3 points:

(1)- Is it the AWD in the CX-9 an option or I have to pay for it?
    (2)- Can I order a CX-9 Grand Touring with tyres 245/60R18 instead of 245/50R20? I do not think it will cause any problem with the electronic of the car (e.g. speedo, ABS, stability control, etc). The problem is that the only way to have the car with HID lights and mirrors with integrated LED turn signal is the Grand Touring model. This car however is sold with 20 inches wheels.

(3)- Will the dealer reimburse me the difference in price of these two tyres and wheels. A 20 inches wheel cost more than a 18 inches tyres/wheels.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    1)- Is it the AWD in the CX-9 an option or I have to pay for it?

You can either order an AWD or FWD CX-9. I believe the price difference is around $1,200.

(2)- Can I order a CX-9 Grand Touring with tyres 245/60R18 instead of 245/50R20? I do not think it will cause any problem with the electronic of the car (e.g. speedo, ABS, stability control, etc). The problem is that the only way to have the car with HID lights and mirrors with integrated LED turn signal is the Grand Touring model. This car however is sold with 20 inches wheels.

The GT only comes with 20" wheels You would have to buy the 18"'s seperately.

(3)- Will the dealer reimburse me the difference in price of these two tyres and wheels. A 20 inches wheel cost more than a 18 inches tyres/wheels.

Most likely no. It is not the dealer making you purchase the GT. You choose to, therefore you will also have to choose to pay for the 18"'s on your own. They are mega bucks, I do not suppose a dealer would loose such money just to make a customer.
  • psycho6psycho6 Member Posts: 9
    I'm buying a 2008 GT FWD, and my dealer has agreed to swap my 20" tires with the 18" tires from a Sport or Touring model at no charge. I realize I'm trading more expensive rims for less expensive ones, but from everything I've heard (and from my test drives), I'm happy that the dealer is doing it.
  • bellarybellary Member Posts: 2
    Thinking about purchasing the 2008 GT w/ rear seat ent pkg. I've never had a dvd player in my car before, when playing movies will we still be able to listen to the radio? Or does the dvd take over all the speakers? Thanks!
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    With the RSES system, you will still be able to listen to the radio or CDs as long as the rear seat passengers use the headphones to listen to the movie soundtracks. We do this all the time so our daughter can watch and listen to her movies while my wife and I listen to the radio or CDs. However, if for some reason you want to listen to the DVD soundtrack, you can switch to RSES mode on the option screen. Also, the DVD player can play music CDs, so if the rear seat passengers want to listen to music instead of watching a movie, they can do that too via the headphones.
  • bellarybellary Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info, very helpful! Not sure if our 2 yr old will actually wear the headphones to watch a movie but I think we'll still get the RSES.
  • topneurotopneuro Member Posts: 8
    BSMS just showing up in CX-9 models, only $200.
    Know tha Volvo also has this but need the opinion of someone driving now a CX-9 with it.
    Does it work properly? many false alarma whe a vehicle is close?

Also questiona bout the NAV, screen has to flip for every music CD entry or removal now how long it will take for this to break or get stuck, anybody having problems with Navi and frequent Music CD use?
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    The active split all-wheel drive is an option in the CX-9 brochure. Does the price MSRP $34,655 include this option or the dealer will ask me to pay another $1,000, for example to have this option on?
    $34,655 is the MSRP of the Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, less any additional options, less $635 destination, and less any local, state, or dealer charges.
  • c_bagc_bag Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 08 CX-9 GT AWD the day before Thanksgiving, and have been driving the vehicle and noting the performance of the BSMS, and I would have to say that it's dead on, there are instances where the system can be a little cautious, but I'd rather it be proactive than not at all. The system hasn't thrown out any false alerts, additionally the BSMS is an option that can be deactivated via the button below the steering wheel to the left. I don't have the Nav option maybe someone else can answer that question for u. I will say one note about the integreted NAV system. The factory install Nav systems are predominately used for more than just NAV, many of these system are imbedded into the cars functionality ie, audio/visual controls, vehicle monitoring of convenience and critical functions, and many other functions. The problem with this is if that Nav display or the unit itself gets damaged then it places you at an expensive disadvantage, and you will be flying blind not having access to those functions controlled by the navigation system.
  • zippydriverzippydriver Member Posts: 11
    does anyone know currently the reliability and resale issue of the Mazda CX-9?
    I love the drive of the car and wish to purchase it but am concerned about consumer reports note about reliability and poor resale.
    Did Mazda fix the sound system issue, Navi issue & long stopping distance on the 2008? and what is the resale of these cars?

is there a new model coming out in 2009 also, and if so, will this be much different and when will it come out?

love the car but don't want to buy something with a big headache. have a 2001 MB ML430 right now and have had nightmare repair issues. can't afford time nor money of another dud car.

please advise, hoping to decide by 1/2/08 for the 0% interest rate
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    When it comes to braking distances, I'd rather look at magazines that do comparisons, since these tend to be on the same day/same conditions. So on Motor Trend, when they compared the 2007 CX-9 to the MDX and the Acadia, here were the numbers: (from 60 to 0 mph):

MDX: 121 feet
    CX-9: 123 feet
    Acadia: 138 feet

As far as reliability, truedelta.com is another useful source where owners have reported in on issues. Out of 100 vehicles, the 2007 CX-9 had 54 trips to the shop, the Acadia had 98, and the MDX had 48. So the Acadia was problem-prone in its first year, and the CX-9 was average.

If you look at the CR reliability data, you'll see that the CX-9 mostly gets full red circles (good), while the Acadia/Outlook get plenty of half circles (average). The CX-9 had only one black circle for Audio Systems, and that seems to drive the low reliability? I believe the issue here is the way CR weighs the black circles.

In any case, the audio system in the CX-9 is a bit funky. The voice-recognition on the NAV can be spotty, and you need a dealer-installed adapter if you want to run an iPOD on a satellite-radio equipped system (why couldn't they build it into the stereo system?) Apart from that, people seem to like the way the stereo sounds.

Resale value? Not sure. Mazdas in general tend to do okay in the last few years (the Mazda 3 holds 35% of its resale value after 5 years, which is industry average). The CX-9 did win the Motor Trend award, so that should help.
    zippydriver, thanks for the info.

some think that's its not worth $ for navi system. currently have navi system in car (MB ML430) and like it fixed and not have to play around with it. do i have to stop to change destination always except for hospital? and if that is the case, would a cheaper hand held make more sense/be more use? I use it by putting in addresses to work related things usually and use it quite a bit.

ie do you think it's worth it for the navi system?

and in regards to reliability, does mazda give you a loaner if car goes in or do i have to wait for some time/halfday/etc at the shop for the repair? does anyone have any comments about how the service is at the local mazda dealers (I am by the Smithtown, NY one)?

and CR had the drive train as an issue, anyone know what this was for?

thanks
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    and in regards to reliability, does mazda give you a loaner if car goes in or do i have to wait for some time/halfday/etc at the shop for the repair?

Mazda provides you with a loaner vehicle if your car is in the shop for warranty related services as well as free road side assistance. I am not aware of any drive train issues relating to the CX-9. As far as resale value, the CX-9 has been on the market for less than a year making it harder to judge its resale value.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I think CR should apologize to Mazda on the long stopping distance claim.
    Everywhere you check with any automobile magzines, you will find them praise CX-9 for outstanding braking. CR is the only exception. Anyway, I only read CR for their reliability data. I don't know why people bother to read their "testing" or "reviews". If you were the expert in testing automobiles, which magzine would you work for? CR or CarAndDriver, MotorTrend, Automobile or RoadAndTrack?

On the issue with tranny, from what I read, it was a typical 1st year issue. Tranny fluid comes half filled from factory (I wonder why? Like they over-inflat the tires for transportation?). At the dealerships, they have to fill it up before sales. However, the new Aisin 6-speed uses special fluid than conventional. Some mechnics filled it with WRONG fluid causing the tranny to seize up.

Ford-Mazda 3.7L DOHC engine is very good. The Aisin 6-speed tranny is top notch. I wouldn't worry about the power-train, if Mazda had chosen Ford's tranny, I would be worried...

Reliability wise, 2nd year model sould be much better than the 1st. Almost every company have to recall their 1st year vehicle. My Prius has been recalled TWICE and it was a 2nd year vehicle (a 2005, 2004 being the 1st). Note also that the CX-9 is made in Japan (I am stating a fact. Take it for whatever it is worth to you...)

Resale: Well, I think you can't beat Honda in resale value. I don't know about Mazda.

I am one of the guys who is comparing Honda Pilot and Mazda CX-9. The new Pilot is coming out in May, 2008. Prototype to be shown in Detriot Autoshow in Jan, 2008.
    Hi

I am also comparing the Mazda CX-9 to the hopefully new Honda Pilot in 2008. I looked at the Mazda when Honda did not release the new pilot in 2007.

my current car is not doing well (MB ML430 2001) so I have been looking elsewhere. I am considering possibly waiting for the new Honda Pilot or buying the Mazda CX-9 now. I test drove the Acura MDX (too much electronics and car for $), audi (too expensive) Honda CRV (too small and not enough power), subaru, INfiniti, etc and really really liked the drive of teh Mazda especially for the $.

thanks for the data on Honda, I spoke to dealer 2 days ago and they did not have release date. will continue to look, but will decide within next 2+/- months or less on what car. just put lots of $ in my current car (breaks, electronics,etc) and considering driving it to get out what I put in .
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    The CX-9 has won the 2008 North American Truck of the Year, beating out the Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid for the award. This will be the second major award after winning the Motor Trend's 2008 sport utility of the year. I'm sure it will displace the 2008 Honda Pilot in this year's Car and Driver 5 best Truck award. Below is the link.

AP News Link
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    I've had my CX9 for about 2 months now and 3100 miles - unusually low miles for me, as this is my work vehicle and I typically average about 3000 per month. But I thought I would share my 2 cents up to this point.

Because this is my work vehicle, I opted to get the Sport AWD model for cost savings. There were a few things that the Touring/GT models offered that I wished I had, but nothing I can't live without.

Wind Noise:
    Because of the comment made above by 'kbedwards', I specifically looked for a model without the Roof Rails. I knew I would never use them, and if they are perhaps the source of some of the wind noise that he refers to, I'd rather not have them. The roof CROSS rails were definitely the source of a LOT of wind noise on my Subaru wagon, so I decided not to take the chance with the CX9 - my roof is bare and the wind noise from this vehicle is not an issue for me. I just can't say whether not having the rails on my car makes it any quieter.

Sound System:
    At the last minute, I also decided against the Bose / Moonroof package - not only to save myself the extra $1800, but because the standard stereo sounded fine enough for me. And I've never been a fan of Moonroofs, so this was a good economics move for me....but if this was to be my wife's vehicle, I could never convince her NOT to get the Moonroof.....to each his/her own.

Gas Mileage:
    I rack up most of my mileage on the highway, so my local driving is very limited. Highway mileage has been consistently between 21 and 23 MPG. I do notice a significant drop in mileage when I am 'in-town'. I purchased a Trip Computer for the CX9 which gives me accurate, real-time gas mileage, and I can see how those who spend most of their time on city streets might be less than thrilled with their mileage.

Fit / Finish:
    I've been very happy overall with the F & F. As 'kbedwards' mentioned, the floor mats are cheap, but I've see worse - my wife's Ford Explorer as an example - now those are REALLY cheap. I don't think I've read any complaints about the interior door handles on the CX9, but having known about the poor job Ford did with the door handles in the '06 Explorer (which is why we got the '07) I do think the front door handles could have been designed better. When the front doors are fully open, it's a long stretch to reach the handles. A recessed (hand-grab) area further back in the arm rest probably would have helped here. The 2nd row doors are Big. I have to be very careful when I'm getting items out of the rear passenger area. I can just imagine what it would be like to have kids back there - swinging open those doors and hitting the cars parked next to them - yikes! Some type of protection for your doors (and for the cars next to you) would seem to be almost a necessity.

Driving Experience:
    Overall, I'm pleased with how this handles for such a large vehicle. HOWEVER, I'm very disappointed in the ride. 'kbedwards' indicated that he wished he had gotten the 18" wheels over the 20". I have the 18" wheels and I have a feeling there wouldn't be much of a difference with the 20". I even bought new tires, thinking it was the Bridgestone tires that were part of the problem - the new Continentals, which had terrific reviews for quiet/comfortable ride, are really no better. I think the issue, therefore, is the overall suspension of this vehicle and not really related to the wheels/tires. If you want to call it a "Sport" ride, go ahead.... I will just call it simply UNCOMFORTABLE when hitting bumps, potholes, expansion joints, etc. The jolts come right through. When cruising on a highway with good road conditions, it rides great. But then you hit a bump and it reminds you how stiff the ride can be. ***I do carry about 150 pounds of equipment in the cargo area......whether that contributes to the overall ride, I don't know. (I would think the extra weight in the rear would help dampen the bumps..?) I don't remember the test drives being so 'bumpy'. Had I known this was the way it would ride, I may not have purchased this vehicle.
    I find the seats to be very supportive and comfortable. I've been on a few long drives (3~4 hours, one-way) and feel good throughout the ride....it's a nice "Cruiser".

Acceleration is okay, but you can hear the engine when you put your foot down and I'd rather have a quiet car all the time. Since I can visually see how accelerating affects the gas mileage, I now accelerate only moderately to acheive the desired speed. No issues with the transmission, it shifts smoothly. I wish the turning radius was a little tighter - it's pretty good, it's just not as tight as my wife's Explorer. Coming from 3 VW Passats and a Subaru, I was worried about parking this 'monster', but it hasn't been too bad. I do find myself being more choosey about my parking spots - looking for the wider ones.

Miscellaneous:
    Other than the pulling to left, which was corrected, I have had no issues so far. I just brought it in for it's first Oil Change. I brought my own Mobil-1 0W20 full synthetic oil to be used. I don't know if that will have any affect on the gas mileage, but I'll find out. I asked them to re-program the door locks; so that they all lock after putting the vehicle in Drive, but they said it was not available......what??? I think I have read where others have had this done, so I may end up taking it to another dealer. I also asked them to have all the doors Unlock when I put the car in Park/or removed the key - again, they said this was not something they could program. If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate knowing.
    I'm still getting used to the controls - on the dash and on the steering wheel. It will likely take my some time before I'm real comfortable (used to) with the layout. Not that it's bad, it's just very different than my previous cars.

The interior color choices are crappy (IMHO). Especially if you get the Sport model, your cloth color choices are; Black - with no other 'accent' color so it will show absolutely everything that sticks to it - unless it's also black, or, this odd shade of Gray/Taupe(?), that is so light, I'm afraid of what my seats will look like a year from now. In leather, these colors look much better....but they're not a good choice for fabric colors....and I prefer cloth interior.

With the light interior, they did a good thing by making the top of the dashboard Black, to minimize reflections, however, they should have carried the black color further down in the dash area. As I look out at my side mirror, I can always see the reflection of my interior side vent in the mirror. If this area was black, I probably wouldn't even notice it in the mirror. (The reflection is actually off the window) - minor, but annoying.

I really like the vehicle, but the ride on rough roads is really spoiling it for me.
    As time goes by, I hope I get m
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    What an insightful post! Let's see...

Wind noise: I just can't say whether not having the rails on my car makes it any quieter.

You really told us a lot there.

Sound system: I also decided against the Bose / Moonroof package

Most CX-9 owners will opt for this package, so some information would be helpful.

Gas mileage: I do notice a significant drop in mileage when I am 'in-town'.

Yup...most cars do that.

Fit / Finish: I don't think I've read any complaints about the interior door handles on the CX9, but having known about the poor job Ford did with the door handles in the '06 Explorer (which is why we got the '07) I do think the front door handles could have been designed better.

Let's see...no real complaints, but Ford made a bad one at one time, so you found it necessary to offer a fix to a problem that doesn't exist.

I can just imagine what it would be like to have kids back there - swinging open those doors and hitting the cars parked next to them - yikes! Some type of protection for your doors (and for the cars next to you) would seem to be almost a necessity.

Or you could teach your passengers to be aware of their surroundings and be careful.

Driving Experience: I think the issue, therefore, is the overall suspension of this vehicle and not really related to the wheels/tires. If you want to call it a "Sport" ride, go ahead.... I will just call it simply UNCOMFORTABLE when hitting bumps, potholes, expansion joints, etc. The jolts come right through.

It IS a "sport" model, just doing what it's supposed to do.

I don't remember the test drives being so 'bumpy'.

Should have done a better test drive.

Acceleration is okay, but you can hear the engine when you put your foot down and I'd rather have a quiet car all the time.

Most cars get noiser when they rev higher. Been going on for years.

Miscellaneous: I brought my own Mobil-1 0W20 full synthetic oil to be used.

Wow! You paid for an oil change AND brought the oil. With the help you're giving the dealer's profit margin, seems they should have tried harder on your programming issues.

Keep doing this and you'll erase the $1800 you saved on the Bose/Moonroof package.

As I look out at my side mirror, I can always see the reflection of my interior side vent in the mirror. If this area was black, I probably wouldn't even notice it in the mirror. (The reflection is actually off the window) - minor, but annoying.

Again, a better test drive would have identified this.
    Wow! You paid for an oil change AND brought the oil.

Dealers will typically just let you pay labor if you bring in your own oil (i.e. they won't charge you for their oil). I do this all the time with my car, since the grade they use is not what I like. Of course, you do have to be careful with the bill, since they might charge you for their oil anyway!
  • etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Pulleydog,

Great bit of reviewing. Unlike the others, I'll say thank you for investing the time in keeping us informed. Other posters tend to blow hold or cold, so don't understand when a reviewer can find some middle ground, especially one that's an owner.

I have a 08 CX-9 GT, its not perfect by a long chalk for instance, there's something about its beautiful svelte like design that attracts mud. Compared to other black cars, mine always looks filthy even after a wash.

The mileage is not great, but hey, anyone buying a 4400 lb vehicle shouldn't have any illusions (I haven't even tried to calculate my MPG, as I know as I'll lie in bed at night breaking sweat trying to work out how to increase it). I'd love to see Mazda borrow Land Rover's 3.6 V8 diesel which (top selling Range Rover in Europe) before Ford sells the unit to the Indian's - then we would get performance with economy.

Against this are the countless aspects I love. No car is ever going to be perfect but the CX-9 is pretty darn close.

On balance, its a great car (so far) . The test of the pudding is my wife likes driving it against her initial prejudices
    I don't think I've read any complaints about the interior door handles on the CX9, but having known about the poor job Ford did with the door handles in the '06 Explorer (which is why we got the '07) I do think the front door handles could have been designed better.

These are not Ford door handles, so, I don't really follow you there. Mazda uses those door handles on most all Mazda models, with no complaints I can recolect. Remember, the CX-9 was designed by Mazda, built by Mazda in Japan.

I brought my own Mobil-1 0W20 full synthetic oil to be used. I don't know if that will have any affect on the gas mileage, but I'll find out.

Your salesman / service manager should have told you Mazda does not recommend full synthetic. I think you will be wasting your hard earned money on oil that only benefits Exxon/Mobils bottom line.
  • rocco9rocco9 Member Posts: 4
    Overall I am very please with my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD. I love the blind spot motoring for my wife. I have owned Lexus, Toyota's, and Ford's in the past. I have 3000 on the car without any issues. I was wondering if any other CX-9 owners have experience excessive water coming out of the mirrors after you wash the car. It makes it difficult to dry you car when water splashes down the side after you drive it. I have tried stick paper towel in behind the mirror, folding the mirrors and drying, even an air compressor to blow the mirror out. Any ideas?
  • msuvetmsuvet Member Posts: 54
    Your salesman / service manager should have told you Mazda does not recommend full synthetic. I think you will be wasting your hard earned money on oil that only benefits Exxon/Mobils bottom line.

Do you mind sharing what they do recommend?

No synthetic at all? Part synthetic?

Thanks
    You should be able to go much longer between oil changes with synthetic, since it tends to degrade at a slower rate since it has better shear stability and better thermal degradation. I've seen people go 10,000 miles between oil changes with no issues, and by "no issues" I mean that they have sent their used oil to Blackstone lab for analysis and the oil came out great in terms of wear, etc.

In any case, synthetic is probably best on a turbo car since that turbo spins like mad. My car is a twin-turbo, so I use synthetic as "insurance". For non-turbo engines that are driven normally, I would tend to agree that mineral oil is just fine.
    After looking at many different suvs for my family, I decided to get a CX-9. I originally liked the GMC Acadia, until I sat in one and gave it a once over. I have always enjoyed my Toyotas so I had to go look at the new Highlander. I liked it compared to the Acadia along with its long list of great features. When I saw the CX-9 in my car magazine, I had to go also look at that. After I test drove it, I was very surprised as to how nice a car like this could be. That same day I called my contact at Toyota and arranged a test drive in a Highlander. With my hopes high, I took it off the lot and drove it about one mile. What is Toyota doing? After owning four Toyotas in the past and one Lexus I could not believe how disappointing the Highlander is compared to the CX-9. Has Toyota lost there drive to keep trying since they are the Top Dog? I have never owned a Mazda and hope it is everything I think it will be. After 3000 miles the car is a dream with a few minor irritants. If anyone is thinking of buying one, you have to take a test drive and compare. If any other CX owners have found any great web sites or service issues I would love to hear about it.
    I'm not sure what is up your butt to insite that type of response, Mr. mdhutton, but maybe I need to type slower for you.

What an insightful post! Let's see...

Wind noise: I just can't say whether not having the rails on my car makes it any quieter.

You really told us a lot there.

If you paid attention, I was replying to an earlier post by another CX-9 owner, who made some personal observations regarding several aspects of his new CX-9. One, being Wind Noise. I am acutely aware of wind noise and I feel this vehicle doesn't generate a lot of wind noise on the highway. My experience with roof rails / cross rails made me wonder if the noise he heard was in part, being caused by the rails. If others were concerned, maybe they could test drive vehicles with and without roof rails to help determine this. I guess I should have done more research on this myself, maybe rent a decibel meter and give you more definitive numbers on the differences.

Sound system: I also decided against the Bose / Moonroof package

Most CX-9 owners will opt for this package, so some information would be helpful.

What part of "the standard sound system sounded just fine to me" and I didn't feel the extra money was warranted, didn't you understand? Again, this was in response to the previous owner commenting on how disappointed he was with the Bose system. My comment was to get people to think about the choice and decide if the $1800 was really worth it. FYI - These forums are for ALL owners, not for 'most owners'. Gee, I bought the Sport - less than 25% of all CX-9's sold. Maybe I should be banned from the forums for being in the minority.

Gas mileage: I do notice a significant drop in mileage when I am 'in-town'.

Yup...most cars do that.

I guess I needed to spell it out for you. If you'd been following the concern a lot of CX-9 owners have over the gas mileage, you'd know there have been a lot of people writing in that their gas mileage is much lower than they expected. My 'significant' drop in mileage around town, mirrors what others have found - that we aren't even getting close to the sticker. I do however, get decent mileage on the highway.

Fit / Finish: I don't think I've read any complaints about the interior door handles on the CX9, but having known about the poor job Ford did with the door handles in the '06 Explorer (which is why we got the '07) I do think the front door handles could have been designed better.

Let's see...no real complaints, but Ford made a bad one at one time, so you found it necessary to offer a fix to a problem that doesn't exist.

Do you own a CX-9? I can't tell. If you do, it would make me understand your reason for even commenting on my post the way you did. If you don't, then you probably don't know what I'm even refering to. With my driver's door wide open, I have a heck of stretch to reach the door/pull handle. If someone is looking at the CX-9 for their next vehicle, I think it was appropriate to point this out. Someone's 5' 1" wife, may not even be able to pull the door closed. Just as I appreciate reading someone else's comments about their vehicle, this could be a very real concern for some.

I can just imagine what it would be like to have kids back there - swinging open those doors and hitting the cars parked next to them - yikes! Some type of protection for your doors (and for the cars next to you) would seem to be almost a necessity.

Or you could teach your passengers to be aware of their surroundings and be careful.

What planet do you live on? I don't have kids, or plan to have anyone in the 2nd row. Again, pointing out the hazards of those huge doors. Something, someone may not notice on a test drive.

Driving Experience: I think the issue, therefore, is the overall suspension of this vehicle and not really related to the wheels/tires. If you want to call it a "Sport" ride, go ahead.... I will just call it simply UNCOMFORTABLE when hitting bumps, potholes, expansion joints, etc. The jolts come right through.

It IS a "sport" model, just doing what it's supposed to do.

OMG, I must be SO STUPID. You mean, SPORT, really means it's supposed to drive 'sporty'??? Isn't that funny..... the Touring and the Grand Touring drive the same way...
    The point here, Einstein, was to mention that although there have been a lot of comments on how the 20" wheels/tires ride roughly, I am not convinced the 20-inchers are to blame, since the 18"s ride can be just as harsh.

I don't remember the test drives being so 'bumpy'.

Should have done a better test drive.

I drove 5 different CX-9's over various road conditions. Not everyone drove exactly the same. Some tires were over-inflated, some were Sports/Tourings/GTs. I guess I should have called you because you apparently know how to do it right.

Acceleration is okay, but you can hear the engine when you put your foot down and I'd rather have a quiet car all the time.

Most cars get noiser when they rev higher. Been going on for years.

Maybe most, but not all. This is a Duratec engine and one of the more common complaints with some of their engines is the loud, unrefined sound they can emit under heavy acceleration. I'm not saying this is an unrefined engine, but it does get loud when you put your foot down. I've owned 4 other vehicles that I could barely hear the engine - at any time. Perhaps a result of more sound insulation between the engine and passenger compartments, but nonetheless, the CX-9 is not a quiet experience when accelerating.

Miscellaneous: I brought my own Mobil-1 0W20 full synthetic oil to be used.

Wow! You paid for an oil change AND brought the oil. With the help you're giving the dealer's profit margin, seems they should have tried harder on your programming issues.

Keep doing this and you'll erase the $1800 you saved on the Bose/Moonroof package

Not that it's even relevent, but I bought both the oil and filters on sale. The total cost at the dealership (labor and oil disposal) was less than $15. Taking all into consideration, getting this oil change with an oil filter that cost me less than the dealer's - which is rated better at filtering, and changing to full synthetic, which will be better for the engine over the long term, and might give me better mileage, cost me about $15 over the standard dealer oil change. It would take me 120 oil changes to "erase the $1800" and I don't plan to keep the vehicle for 600,000 miles.

As I look out at my side mirror, I can always see the reflection of my interior side vent in the mirror. If this area was black, I probably wouldn't even notice it in the mirror. (The reflection is actually off the window) - minor, but annoying.

Again, a b
    ...part 2;

Again, a better test drive would have identified this.

As mentioned before, I test drove several different models, most were with the black interior, although I didn't opt for this color. But you're absolutely right, I guess I should have test drove 'my' vehicle better; under all weather conditions, during the day, during the night, on sunny days, on cloudy days, during Solar and Lunar Eclipses, on every road within 100 miles of home, in the Summer, in the Winter, in the snow, and in the rain, ......

What's it like being so perfect? Do you have trouble finding a vehicle with adequate HEADroom?

Just remember, I didn't write the post for you. If you didn't get anything out of it, GOD I'm so sorry, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

I'm not sure who assigned you as the Edmunds Forum Police, but I will contact them and suggest that from here on out, all posts should be approved by you, first.
    These are not Ford door handles, so, I don't really follow you there. Mazda uses those door handles on most all Mazda models, with no complaints I can recolect. Remember, the CX-9 was designed by Mazda, built by Mazda in Japan.

It's not the exterior door handles, it's the interior door handle - or more specifically, the door 'pull'. The front doors open so wide that I have to really stretch to reach that handle/pull, to pull the door closed. My reference to the Ford was because they had a similar issue with the '06 Explorer - the handle is in a low, ackward spot and a lot of people were opening the doors and finding that there wasn't anything to grab onto, to prevent the door from opening all the way (and perhaps whacking the car next to them) and then it is an awkward reach to pull the door closed. They remedied the situation for the '07 models with a recessed area in the arm rest to pull the door closed. Because I was aware of the Explorer issue, is probably the reason I picked up on door design of the CX-9.

And don't forget, Ford has a stake in Mazda....10 or 15%, I think. The 3.5L Duratec engines were designed by Ford, built in the USA - Lima, Ohio to be exact, and then shipped to Japan to be installed into the CX-9. It wasn't until the 2008 model, that the Japanese started building the engine in Japan, where they (or in conjunction with Ford) 'tweaked' it a bit there, and it became the 3.7L Duratec.

I don't know where you got that info. The Dealers use 5W20 Semi-Synthetic. They don't "recommend" synthetic because then they would have to supply it for the oil changes....and they are probably afraid of the fallout from having to charge people $50 for an oil change. Discussions about oil (dino vs synthetic) will go on until the Earth freezes over. Personally, I feel there has been enough testing to justify the extra cost, but then, I stock up during really good sales and I don't really spend that much more than a standard oil change....about $15 per oil change. Plus, I don't work THAT hard for my money... :P
    Mazda recommends SAE 5W-20. Oil change intervals at 5,000-7,500 miles, depending on what area of the country you live in.
    Door pull...gottcha.

Ford's stake is 33.4%. That's neither here nor there. Yes, 2007 CX-9's used the US build 3.5L Duratec and now Mazda builds the 3.7L, and a different computer MAP for power delivery. It is actually a good design. Issues in the past have been from the computer system side of the Duratec engine, and other issues like the throttle body or sensors. Mazda uses their own for this application.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I was wondering if any other CX-9 owners have experience excessive water coming out of the mirrors after you wash the car. It makes it difficult to dry you car when water splashes down the side after you drive it. I have tried stick paper towel in behind the mirror, folding the mirrors and drying, even an air compressor to blow the mirror out. Any ideas?

When I go for a car wash, I keep a small towel in the car. When they hand over the keys I grab the towel and push the bottom of the mirror in to get that nasty bit of water. Once in the car, re-adjust the mirrors and it's a spot-free ride home.
    Fair criticism of my reply.
  • gfostergfoster Member Posts: 10
    Regarding rearview camera:

I test drove the GT recently and noticed that the rear camera was angled at an awkward position. The camera displayed more right bumper than left, thereby presenting a distorted view. Also, there were no parking guides on the camera view (to measure proximity to objects). I drive an FX 35 and the rear camera is excellent, i.e., the camera view is centered thereby providing perfect orientation while backing in and the color-coded guide to measure proximity to objects works like a charm. As I backed into a parking space with a CX-9, the distorted view had me feeling less than confident that I was parking correctly. I resulted to the side view mirror to check my orientation.

While I assume the visible parking guides are not an option on the CX-9, is the distorted view a common experience or was the camera installed improperly. If this is common, this is a major design flaw for such an expensive option.
  • live2skilive2ski Member Posts: 25
    yes, the camera gives a bit of a distorted view of the rear bumper, but objects on the ground seem to be correct. It's been a great assist in parallel parking since the rear window is so high. Also, I use it when parking in my garage to make sure I'm in far enough for the garage door. Maybe the camera can be adjusted slightly to improve the viewing, but it will be limited by it's placement off to the side. It may not be as fancy as the FX35, but it does the job and may take getting used to.
    Additional question for you guys:

I am considering purchasing the 2008 AWD Touring w/ navigation. My understanding is that the nav system can only be set to a direction when the car is stopped. you cannot change the destination on the navi unless you stop the car.

is this correct?

and if so, I was thinking about getting a portable one.
    I currently have an integrated navi system on my current SUV and can change it during the trip, etc and do not have to stop the car. This is a hugely important feature for me because I am constantly on the go and cannot stop for every change. I find myself changing it many times to estimate times to different locations, etc.

Please advise.
  • gfostergfoster Member Posts: 10
    live2ski: thanks for the response. good to know that it is not problem once you get used to it.
    You can change your destination while driving, but, only destinations that are programed into your address book, I believe. You cannot enter in a new destination while moving.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    You know the NAVI was produced by Denso, the same company that produces NAVI for Lexus and Toyota Prius. If you compare both, you will see lots of similarity in look and feel and usage.
    That said, there is a site, coastaletech.com that sells a lockpick that allows you to disconnect speed sensor to fool the NAVI into allowing you access to the NAVi while in motion. The principle is the same - cut the speed sensor input into the NAVI so that the NAVI "thinks" your vehicle is not moving.
    Let us hope that coastaletech also have one for CX-9 in the future.
    Also, there was a sequence of "moves" (or touching the screen at different locations) to tempararily deactivate the access blocking. I wonder if it also work on CX-9. I will try that sometimes. I know this because I also own a Prius.
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    also...if' you dont already have another destination pre-loaded...you can "finger" point and add the new destination while you're still in motion... ( if that makes sense )... I did it the other day... because I'd heard consistantly (here) that you couldn't do that while in motion...
  • masudurmasudur Member Posts: 3
    I bought Mazda CX9 GT 2008, and I have problem with alignment. It pulls me to left especially on highway. If I drive in first lane on high way, and drive 20/30 kph I can feel the pressure on the steering wheel that tires want to go towards left. If I drive on right most lane most of the time it goes straight, sometimes it goes to right side. In city road I feel much better because on city road the slope on the road is on right side.

I talked to dealer they do the realignment but I have the same problem. They told me it might be for 20” tire. But I am not sure. It pulls me hard towards left when I drive on 1st (left most lane) lane or middle lane but it goes straight when I drive on right lane, it doesn’t pull me much to right side even if I am on right most lane.
    Dealer is playing games with you, there is a recall on this and Mazda has send all dealer mechanic shop on how to repair this. I had actually the adobe PDF Mazda document on this but lost it. Found it with google. Is random, 2007 and 2008 still have this problem.
    Here is the text.
    TSB: 02-003/07

2007 CX-9 - STEERING PULL / DRIFT

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007 CX-9

DESCRIPTION

Some customers may complain that the vehicle pulls to the left or right during normal driving conditions.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Test drive vehicle and verify customer concern.
    2. Confirm pull/drift is not caused by the following factors:
    Road crown or wheel track during constant speed driving.

Different size tires or uneven tire wear between left and right tires.

Brake drag on any wheel.

Excessive ball joint clearance or steering linkage play.

3. Check tire pressure. Front and Rear Cold Tire Specification = 36 psi (18-inch tire), 34 psi (20-inch tire)
    If tire pressure is too low or too high, correct tire pressure as necessary and test drive vehicle again.

If vehicle no longer pulls/drifts, return vehicle to customer and explain the importance of proper tire inflation to the customer.

If vehicle pulls/drifts, go to next step.

If tire pressure is correct, go to next step.

4. Swap left and right front wheels/tires and check for damage or deformation of control arms, brackets, or bushings. If any item is damaged or deformed, repair as necessary. Test drive vehicle.
    If vehicle no longer pulls, return vehicle to customer or dealer inventory.

If no improvement is noticed and vehicle still pulls or drifts, go to next step.

5. Confirm position of left and right strut mounting rubber identification marks. Identification marks should be positioned as shown.
    Remove the left-side windshield wiper arm.

Partially pull back the cowl grill.

6. Check wheel alignment of the vehicle. Refer to ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATION CHARTS for 2WD or 4WD vehicle.
    7. Confirm the direction of vehicle pulling (left or right) and adjust camber and caster angles at the same time.
    8. Adjust the strut mounting rubber as follows:
    Remove the left-side windshield wiper arm.

Partially pull back the cowl grill.

Jack up front of vehicle and support on safety stands.

Remove mounting rubber nuts.

Push shock absorber and coil spring assembly downward, and turn identification mark to desired position.

Adjustment Value From Original Position

Identification Mark Position

Camber Angle

Caster Angle

A

-0° 22'

B

+0° 22'

-0° 22'

C

+0° 22'

NOTE:

If the vehicle pulls right, rotate the left side strut mounting rubber 180 degrees so the position of the "identification mark" is inside the circle. (Position B)

If the vehicle pulls left, rotate the right side strut mounting rubber 180 degrees so the position of the "identification mark" is inside the circle. (Position B)

After adjustment of mounting rubber, install components in reverse order of removal.

Tighten mounting rubber nuts to specified torque.

Tighten Torque: 34.1 - 46.2 ft.lb (46.1 - 62.7 N.m)

9. Adjust front toe to center of the specification as much as possible. Confirm all the other wheel alignment items are within specification. Test drive vehicle to verify the repair.
    10. If the vehicle starts pulling/drifting to the other side, rotate the front strut mounting rubber back from Position B to C, by 90 degrees.
    11. Test drive and verify repair.
    ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATION CHARTS

NOTE: To convert "minutes" to "degrees", divide by 60. Example: 27' divided by 60 = 0.45°
    Found the document URL link, go to this link:

http://www.coremazda.com/tsb/cx9/02-003-07-steering-pull-drift.pdf

This is not the only version, there a other version and links to the pdf document in other forums.
  • dizmarkdizmark Member Posts: 3
    YES - I hand wash my car and get frustrated with the amount of water that comes out. So, I've devised a plan. 1) Turn the mirror in or out, (whichever way it turns) that allows a hidden pocket to be reached and dried. 2) More imporantly, I take my small blower or shop vac (in blow mode) and blow out the mirror. A little extra work, but worth it to keep you car looking nice after being washed.

I LOVE the car overall though. Everything a Lexus has - but better, for cheaper.
    I was wondering if this problem started from day one or developed with time? I have not noticed this problem with mine. I was aware of the problem but have not had any pulling issues - so far. My car was has a build date of Sept. 07'.
  • mpb2mpb2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering an '07 Touring and I'm wondering how important the motor difference is (I assume there are no other differences) between the 07 and 08's. Does anyone have more information on the differences and if they are worth the extra money?
    From what I understand the 3.5 is an all Ford motor. Which isn't terrible, however, the CX-9 was designed for the 3.7 that Mazda developed in Japan. The only reason the 3.5 was placed in the 07' CX-9's was because the car was finished before the motor was done being developed. This may affect the resale value of all the first year release vehicles. Some say you should never buy a first year release due to all the bugs that need time to be worked out. Besides who doesn't like having more power.
    I would imagine that at some point, Mazda would have incorporated the changes in the TSB addressing the pulling issue into the manufacturing process and eliminate the problem right from the start. Not sure what that point in time is though...
  • 16ue16ue Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a Trip Computer for the CX9 which gives me accurate, real-time gas mileage, and I can see how those who spend most of their time on city streets might be less than thrilled with their mileage.

Can you tell me more about the trip computer that you have purchased? I would like to get one too as I missed having one on the CX-9.
This discussion has been closed.