Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might be better off going through a buying service then, e.g. Sam's Club or Costco, if you have a membership.

Walking out can be effective, but you have to know when to do it.
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    a couple of days ago there were two 2010 GLS's near where i live for
    16,500. OTD brand new cars a blue one and a black one!!
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    Buy me the blue one NOW and I'll pay you back. :)

Just got back from Columbus...will recap soon.
  • pries4pries4 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased my 2009 Sonata on July 22 '09. and only have 3300 miles on the odometer. I knew that the manual said to change the oil after 7500 mi. but I didn't realize it had to be changed at 6 month intervals. Yikes it's been eight months! Do car companys give you some leeway warranty wise if you screw up like this? Thanks Diane
    So, it was a quick trip to Ohio but we marvelled at the fact that there's a lot more Hyundai dealers in that state and each of them are larger than anything Michigan has.

We stopped at a mega-dealer the first day and they had a large inventory of new 2010's. It was a good opportunity to show my wife the color availabilities the Sonata's come in. We never talked to a salesman in that area but swung over to the used lot and was in contact with one. They only had one 4-cylinder 2009 GLS. It had the level one convenience package (incl. sunroof) and 32K miles. The color was like Grey/Brown but no one could tell us the technical color name of it. We test drove it and my wife liked the color and the car but they were asking $16,999. I wasn't going to start bargaining right there anyway and at that price point, I don't think we would have got close to under $13K where I think it was worth.

Yesterday on the way home we stopped at a few others. Saw some 2010 used model GLS's with about 30K on them but no prices. When I got home, I put in an e-mail request for them. Basically what I figured out in our Ohio stops is that my wife will be quite picky (I shouldn't be surprised) regarding colors but she IS sold on the Hyundai Sonata. Really likes it. Slate Blue is her first choice. Cocoa Metallic and Willow Gray are runners up. Khaki and Medium Blue/Silver are acceptable. Forget about anything else. The lighter beige interior is a no-go and the black dash is out as well.

One more stop in Michigan gave us some interesting thoughts. One dealer had the right colors, especially a beauty in Slate Blue but it was the "Limited" version. We're quite conservative and have been looking at the base models but when you sit in one like that with all the creature comforts, including leather, your mind starts racing a little. With only 15K in miles, it was very tempting. Asking price at $19.2 starts to pop your bubble a bit but you start wondering what you can work them down to. Another Limited was Cocoa and sharp w/17K miles and asking "only" $17.5. The only downside was a few wood grain highlights on the dash. We don't like those at all. If the prices between those two were reversed, we would be seriously interested in the Slate Blue. The salesman had all the lines going with us on both cars but he finally took a hint that we weren't buying anything that day and politely understood. Very few Limited's (thus the name) on Autotrader to get a good feel as to an acceptable price point at that low of miles.

So, here we are. In no real rush to make decisions but at least my wife is now familiar with the Sonata. I have about $6,500 budgeted for a car at this point (will have no trade-in) and would "borrow" from myself the balance of whatever it costs then pay myself back about $200/month. At $14,000, that would take about 3 years. To step up in style a bit would take that to about 4 years.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    They would have to show how the 2 months would have damaged the engine. If it was sitting unused that would not hurt the oil. It is the short trips that damage the oil since they assume you only drive short distances.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    On my 2006 Sonata GLS V6 with Michelin tires, I have 35,000 miles and the tire tread is wearing awfully low. I just read the Michelin warranty info that came with the car and I didn't see anything about the tire tread being warranted to last for x miles within x years. I could only find that they are warranted against defects for 6 years.

Does anyone know these details and, more importantly, has anyone ever made a claim under a tire warranty for unusually fast wear? I'm basically wondering if it's even worth pursuing from a financial perspective.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately this is pretty typical for the OEM Michelins. Most used Sonatas I see with this kind of mileage have new tires. I just bought a 2007 Sonata with 37k miles last November, and it had new tires (Kumhos).
    Thanks, Backy. Good to know. Found out through Michelin that these tires don't have a mileage warranty, just a 6 year workmanship warranty.

I never had previous complaints with these tires but 35,000 miles is quite low compared to Michelin tires I've had in the past. Additionally, the replacement price is about $161/tire from the few places I've checked. Does anyone know of a good P215/60R16 tire for an '06 GLS V6 that costs closer to $100/tire? Thanks.
    Check out the Kumho Solus. That is what is on my '07 Sonata GLS and they seem to ride smoothly, are quiet, and gripped pretty well this past winter (for all season tires). Also see if Falken makes a tire in that size. I got Falken tires awhile back for a minivan I owned, they were about $50 at Discount Tire (plus mounting, warranty etc.) and I thought they were great tires.

I had Michelins on my '01 Elantra and they lasted only a little over 30k miles, and I rotate my tires every 6-7k miles. Maybe other Michelins wear longer, but these OEM tires don't seem to.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I had the OEM Michelin Pilot MXM4 on my 06 Sonata LX V6 and changed them out with the same tires after 67k miles. I think they were pretty damn good tires to have lasted that long, but man they are expensive at $175/tire.
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    I put Cooper CS4 Touring tires on mine. They were about $100/tire installed and have improved the ride and noise considerably.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    My wife and I have an 09 Slate Blue GLS I4 Auto, with PEP (not PEP2; PEP2 is PEP with the Moonroof), the Beige Interior (not our first choice internally, but we've grown to really like it), and Bluetooth.

It's a GREAT car, and is just incredible to look at (even after having had to be repainted TWICE (long story, and DEFINITELY not Hyundai's fault in any way... one was being rearended while stopped at a stop light, the other was a dump truck dropping rocks on the interstate in front of the car) since we got it last May. Gets great mileage, too, at around 29.4 on her commute. The entire feel of the car is one of quality, so I'm not surprised your wife went from sceptical to enthused that quickly. BTW, Willow and Khaki were #2 and #3 on our choices, followed by Burgundy for the '09 when we were shopping.

As for the woodtrim, I'm quite taken with it; it looks quite snazzy. The only downsides were that we also have an older Burgundy 2003 Sonata GLS V6 Auto with the equivalent of PEP2 (the GLS then is closer to the SE in more recent trims, as there was a GL trim back then as the base); the leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knobs (i.e., the touch surfaces) of the 2003 make a sharp contrast with the touch surfaces on the 2009 GLS. We went out and got an aftermarket leather steering wheel wrap to take care of one of those issues, but we would need to replace the shifter knob for the other. The PEP package for the '09 and '10 should have included the leather wrapped (even if it had raised the price an extra C-note).
    I have to agree about the leather steering wheel. That's the main place my bare skin touches the car and I sometimes feel the entire car is luxury because of how nice it feels.
    Just came across a Slate Blue, 2010 w/30,000 miles on it and they are asking $12,600. I'm thinking that's pretty good. Would like less miles on it but, of course, the price would go up. Another I had my eye on ('09) has only 10K miles on it for $13,900. It was a rental, not sure if that would affect things too much. All prices negotiable I'm sure. Both are GLS auto with no PEP.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    You can get a brand new 2010 for not much more than that.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    edited March 2010
    Not everywhere, depends on your location.
    oooh.... no PEP. Neither is a great deal without PEP, simply because it turns the car from feeling like a large Econo-box to feeling like a nice, comfortable luxury car.

PEP included the Trip Computer, Woodgrain interior trim (certain models), steering wheel mounted audio controls, Power Driver Seat w/Lumbar support, etc. It's the little things that turned the car into just a overall nicer platform to drive; my wife became very enthused about the Trip Computer, for example, even though she didn't care at all until she realized what it added to the car. PEP was something like $700, with the Moonroof (as PEP2) adding an additional $800 to the price over just plain PEP (PEP2 was PEP plus Moonroof).
    Thanks for the input. Would love some bells and whistles for sure (except for the wood grain, neither of us like it). Found a Plain Jane 2010 GLS from a private seller asking $13,900 with only 9,000 miles. What's the deal with the remainder of the factory warranty in such a case (private seller)? Anybody familiar with these cases? What do you think of the price (and what would you negotiate to?)?

Thanks again...
    You get the remainder of the 5-year bumper to bumper warranty.
    edited April 2010
    I came across a 2009 Limited 4-cyl w/15K mileage. In the color we want and all. They wanted $18K, I offered $15.5K and they came back with $16.7K but my limit really IS $15.5K and I said no thanks. They could still reply but nothing yet. I figure I have a lead on a GLS basic (auto, 4-cyl) with the same 15K mileage and Sam's Club pricing is $12,900. The Limited features are not worth more than $2,600 to us, hence my top line on the Limited offer. The only rub being the $12,900 car is 3 1/2 hours away vs. 45 minutes for the Limited. Still being patient.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    Just noticed today that the headlight on my 09 Sonata Limited 4 Cylinder is out. Drove my 07 SE for two years and never had a light go out.

I am wondering if the bumper to bumper warranty will cover headlights, or is it going out considered normal wear and tear.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 1096
    The Hyundai warranty is NOT all-inclusive despite the bumper-bumper claims:

"5-YEAR / 60,000-MILE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY
    Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.
    The following components are covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
    * Radio and audio systems (i.e., radio, compact disc player, DVD player, navigation system, and Bluetooth®): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    * Paint: 3 years / 36,000 miles
    * Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    * Air conditioner refrigerant charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    * Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    * Wear items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g., belts, brake pads and linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, BULBS, fuses)"

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx
    I'm getting tired of perusing used Sonatas (target has been 2009 GLS) and am thinking of just going new (2010), perhaps to Fitzmall (fly to DC w/flier miles) or see if someone closer can match. The way prices for new are and how stubborn used dealers are, the difference is a couple thousand. Anyway, does anyone have a 2009 or 2010 Slate Blue model? The 2009 models seem to be a slightly different Blue than 2010 and 2010 are called "Slate Blue Mica" and appear a deeper blue. Haven't seen a 2010 in person as no one local has them so I'm going by pictures. Knowledge on this anyone?

Thanks!
    My wife's 2009 is a Slate Blue, but I have never seen/noticed a 2010 Slate Blue; if I've seen one, I wasn't able to tell the difference.

The 2009 Slate Blue is somewhat... grey/blue, although it's quite striking when clean in a nice light. Doesn't hurt at ALL that Hyundai didn't skimp when they went with the metallic flake in the paint, which gives it incredibly vivid lustre.
    Thanks for that information. I've seen some Sonata's that look sort of midnight blue but those could be pre-2009 models or something. Hopefully we can visit a dealer soon that has '10's on the lot. The "grey/blue" is a pretty good way to describe it. I've seen some listings post "Slate Blue" when it is really the "Medium Silver/Blue" but that's usually a non-Hyundai dealer. Gotta go by the picture.

As a side note: we wouldn't mind the "Willow Gray" either as a runner up in case Slate Blue can't be found. Then my next door neighbor, a snow bird in Florida right now, e-mails me about mowing their lawn for them until they get back. We start talking cars and guess what they just bought in Florida to bring home? An '09 Gray Limited. My wife says no way Gray is an option now. And an additional side note to that: I thought the guy was all-GM/Buy American and all (yeah, I know the Sonata is built in Alabama, but still). His news just confirmed my preference.
    Willow is quite attractive, but yeah, I probably wouldn't want the same color of the same model/year car as my next door neighbor, either.

Our choices came down to Slate Blue, Willow, Red, Arctic Blue, Silver. My wife and I were adamant that we would NOT be buying the White (I've had a white car (actually two, but one was basically given to us free for our son), and while my old 1989 Camaro was probably the single most beautfiul car I ever owned when it was freshly washed and waxed, in a soft early evening light, it has IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean). Neither my wife or I are big fans of black cars, for some of the same reasons we're not going to get a white car.

If Slate Blue is not available, but you REALLY want Blue, then Arctic is out there. It's kind of a creamy light robin ege blue, with silver metallic flake. I imagine it would have some of the same issues of white, though not nearly as bad. I've seen it a number of times (one of my coworkers has an Arctic Blue, probably a 2008, as it doesn't have the Sharkfin, but does have satelite radio) and it's attractive. Not as attractive as Slate Blue, mind you, but attractive. :P
  • dave09sedave09se Member Posts: 20
    White is the best color to keep clean contrary to popular belief you just have to know how to do it Ive had many white cars and they all look the best the longest, and are the easiest to maintain. My pearl white 09 Sonata SE looks better now than when I bought it!
    I think the official name for the other blue is "Medium Blue/Silver". I run across a lot of them on my searches because on Autotrader, you can only search "Blue". I'm fine with it but my wife says no. If she was good with it, we'd have one already since I found a decent deal close by and with extras (power seats,etc.). 2009, 12,000 miles for $13.999 with probably some wiggle room. Then there was a good deal on a Cocoa (Brown) that is an acceptable exterior color to her but she didn't like the woodgrain on the interior (which also meant it had the upgraded features that I like). I'm no big fan of the woodgrain either but I could live with it for everything else. Alas, she couldn't....groan! Yeah, I'm halfway towards throwing up my hands in surrender.
    Wow.... I can't STAND the Cocoa, it's just plain ugly to me.

And my wife and I LOVE the woodgrain, as it makes the car feel so classy inside (I've had cars that have gone the non-woodgrain route, too, though, so don't think it's just "that's what I like because that's what I've had"). The woodgrain makes the car feel... warmer, more alive and friendly. BTW, I've had rental 2006-2010 Sonatas often enough that the same is true there, too; I've driven everything from a basic GLS without PEP, through to the GLS with PEP but sans woodgrain, a GLS V-6 with PEP (with woodgrain), our GLS I4 with PEP and woodgrain, an SE v6 with woodgrain, a limited equivalent v6 with wood grain and a limited v6 with out... I've always found that the woodgrain is just nicer to the touch and eye than the "carbon-fiber" look.

I guess it truly is a "To each his own" kind of thing in terms of preferences.
    I thought ALL the GLS had PEP and the upgrade is either PEP2 (power seats, lumbar, trip computer and steering wheel radio controls) or PEP3 (PEP2 + Sunroof). Is that not correct? Does PEP2 or 3 automatically include the woodgrain? Instead of reading through the entire "features" list I usually check out the picture of the driver's seat (if shown) looking for the power levers or the steering wheel for the left side controls.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    I had the impression that on the GLS the presence or absence of woodgrain was keyed to the upholstery color (tan=yes, gray/black=no).
    No, some GLSes definitely do NOT have either of the PEP packages (there are only two). PEP is what you called PEP2 (power seats, lumbar, trip computer, steering wheel radio controls, woodgrain trim in cars that have the appropriate internal colors (if not, it's some carbon fiber looking effect), upgraded upholstry). You cannot get PEP in a Manual Transmission GLS, for example.

Not all cars with PEP have the woodgrain, but all cars with the woodgrain have PEP, as it's a feature that's keyed to the interior color of the car, but only if the car has PEP or PEP2.

PEP2 is PEP with the Sunroof.
    Partially correct; Woodgrain is keyed to the upholstery color, but only if the car has PEP. If it doesn't, then a carbon fiber effect is given as part of the PEP package. If PEP isn't there, a more plasticy look is given for ALL upholstery colors, it's definitely not as attractive, and definitely not as "touch friendly" as either of the two PEP styles, though it's similar to the carbon fiber look (just cheaper looking and feeling). That's one of the advantages of the woodgrain by the way; even though it's smooth to the touch (it isn't true woodgrain), the feel of it in some of the body contact areas is quite nice, such as the door panels, where you arm will touch; it makes the car feel more expensive than it is.

As a side note, the SE and Limited have the woodgrain as available on the shift knob, as well; it's my one complaint with the GLS with PEP in that they didn't take that extra step, as my older 2003 GLS (it would be an SE in today's nomenclature) has it, and it DEFINTELY feels oh so nice in the hand, versus the cheaper feeling plastic used on the GLS even with PEP. I'd pay $30-$40 for a nice aftermarket replacement that looked correct for our 2009 Sonata and had either a nice leather or wood grain feel.
    Thanks for the additional information. We finally settled on a vehicle. Found a dealer in Northern Indiana with $5,000 off MSRP (dealer matching the factory rebate). Got a basic 2010 GLS Auto I4 for $17,355 OTD which included $1113 tax and $189 doc fee. Came with carpeted mats, Blue Tooth (probably never use it) and a full tank of gas. Had to take what was in inventory since we were particular about the color: Slate Blue/Grey Interior. Gurley-Leep Hyundai and Kirk were a pleasure to do business with. Easy transaction and only a soft-sell of the extra warranty by the finance guy although I did pay cash so I didn’t have to deal with financing.

Beautiful car with an easy ride, nothing fancy but that’s who we are. I’d rather have the MPG than the power. After 200 miles (mostly highway), the gas gauge is barely past the ¼ mark but that could mean anything I guess until I actually fill it up again (no trip computer). The XM radio, free subscription for 3 months, is pretty cool. I might be tempted to extend it if the novelty doesn’t wear off. Would prefer larger spacing per unit in the speedometer but I guess to fit all the units up to 160 they had to squeeze.

A little buyer’s remorse only because we’re not used to spending that much money but this should be a 10-12 year car for us with some of that within the great warranty.
    They say if you feel you got a good deal, then you got a good deal. Congratulations. I love our 2009 GLS Slate Blue I4 Auto with PEP and a Tan Interior.

We average about 29-30 mpg mixed driving with it, so your 1/4 tank isn't that unreasonable.

As for the XM, I was like you; I had no intention of paying for it once the 3 months ended. That lasted until the second long trip we took, where we realized just how nice it was. Now, if only they had even poor customer service; XM seems to practice customer DISservce as poor as they are. But the product is great.
    Just a really comfortable car that drives smoothly. The 6-speed trans. takes a little getting used to with different shift points from my '98 Accord but the trade off is better MPG.

I may be hooked already to the XM but still have 3 months to worry about the subscription. Do they call you or e-mail you to let you know your time is almost up then try to get you to continue?
  • themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    You'll get plenty of calls and mailings asking you to subscribe!

- Merg
  • dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    It is just great, one of my favorite things about the car.

They'll send you an invoice one or more months before the trial expires, and would like you to pay a whole year in advance, but there are shorter periods available.

Conratulations on your new Sonata!
    FWIW your 2010 Sonata has a 5-speed AT. 6ATs came for 2011.
    edited April 2010
    FWIW your 2010 Sonata has a 5-speed AT. 6ATs came for 2011.

Oh, I thought that's how they boosted the MPG on it for '09 and '10. Must have been some other factor in that. I know at 65MPH, the RPM is 2000 while the Accord is 2300 at the same speed. Was the Accord ('98) only 4-speed I wonder?

I look forward to my first fill-up to determine the MPG though I realize it will take several to get the most accurate reading. I drive very conservatively.

By the way, per the thought you put in my head (I think it was you), I asked the salesman about the Tucson but he said they had none and are hard to get. I wanted to at least see one in person but no luck.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Accord automatics were 4-speed till 2003.
    Yes, the Sonata I4s were 4ATs until 2009 MY, then they got the 5AT previously used only in the V6 Sonatas.
    As Backy said, the 09 and 10 MY I4 Sonatas had the previously V6 only 5 speed transmissions; that's where they got a lot of the boost (but not all) in mileage and performance for the 09/10 I4. My 09 I4 is on par performance wise with my older 03 V6 Sonata, which only has a 4 speed automatic; I think the V6 has a very slight edge in speed and accelleration, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. That little I4 and 5 speed really helps the car move!

Just wish they had put the '11's 6 speed in; then you would have seen some BIG jumps in mileage and performance!
    I'm already getting hooked on it. Will be hard to turn it down at the end of the 3 months. Nice, clear sound on the music stations...I can take a trip back to the 70's or 80's or stay in the present. I'm not much into country but 17 plays some stuff that I don't mind.
    Just wish they had put the '11's 6 speed in; then you would have seen some BIG jumps in mileage and performance!

First fillup netted 33MPG at about 75/25 highway/city. Quite happy with that. Now that the shock of spending all that money is wearing off, I'm really growing fond of the thing.
  • grdawggrdawg Member Posts: 5
    Wow, that's great mileage. I got a 2010 SE in early April, have filled up 3 times and the best i have gotten is 27.05 mpg, average is about 26.5. I do primarily highway driving as I commute 40 miles each way. I do drive over 70ish most of the way and do hit stop and go traffic usually a few times a week so could be what is keeping me down? I would love to see over 30.
    grdawg, do you have an I4 or a V6? We're talking I4s here, so if you've got a V6, there is part of the issue.

Yeah, my wife's '09 I4 gets over 30 routinely, even in rush hour traffic. On long trips, it's way up in the mid 30s if the trip is mostly highway.
    With an I4, you should be getting over 30 but I drive pretty conservatively. Plus, half the first tank's miles were driving it home on the scenic route which was a 55mph, very few towns, road. I'll get a better read with my second tank which has been mostly my 37 mile/day commute, mostly highway.

I'm still thinking I got one of the best value cars out there though every time I reach over to the buttons on the sound system, I'm wishing I got a package with the steering controls.
  • grdawggrdawg Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    I have an I4. I have about 1300 miles on it now. Hopefully gas mileage gets better. I dont' think I drive overly fast, but usually in a 65 mph speed limit you have to drive almost 80 to keep up here. Oh and I've been using regular gas, does the higher octane really make a difference?