Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

1181920212224»

Comments

• ay50ay50 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2009 SE with the Kuhmo 17" tires. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same type sound but I have noticed that on a certain type of highway road surface here in Texas I hear a high-pitched whine or whistle. Upon switching to a different type of highway surface it goes away.

I don't remember what type of surface it is that I hear it on but the OP might take this into consideration.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Have you had a windshield replaced lately? Check all the trim around the edge to ensure the OEM moulding is complete and with nothing missing or not attached properly right out to the edge in places. This was the cause of an elusive whistle on an X Trail I had. Doesn't take much. Also confirm the wipers have been reattached on their stems so that they rest at the correct position. Those too can cause noise. I feel your pain though, I really don't like wind and road noise. That and poor seats and inadequate HVAC are among my biggest beefs with a car. Many cars will have some noise at 60 to 65+. But if you have whistling at 50 mph, that should be able to be found. Also look for previous mirror damage and gap discrepancy from one side to the next. If one side is wider, try using black tape to close the gap and test again. If you want to try to rule out your driver's door. Tape the entire door up tight, then crawl in from the passenger side. Try it, next, then tape all around the perimeter of where the glass meets the moulding, and test again. Start simple and work your way up to more effort as needed. Speaking of simple...have you confirmed that all the windows are up, in back doors too? Any previous accidents on car?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I hear a whine on certain concrete road surfaces also; my Sonata has Kumho Solus tires. But that whine sounds much different than a wind noise.
  • carbuyer109carbuyer109 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2011
    I appreciate everyone's input, I will try to reply to everyone's comments so forgive me if this rambles a bit. The noise starts at 40mph and up, I do not have a moonroof, (basic GLS), I bought the car used, nothing about the windshield replaced on the Carfax report, doesn't look replaced, the tires are origional to the car (Michelins I think), doesn't only happen in strong winds, though this does make it worse. Maybe it is the seal around the door, I will have to look into that, maybe a bit of air is entering the cabin. Will check the wipers too (once this storm leaves New York :). Thanks again everyone.
    edited February 2011
    Finally got some warmer weather, found a few small gaps around the drivers side mirror and filled them with black silicone but did not help, do not see any other differences between the drivers and passengers side windows, doors, weather stripping or mirrors but the whistling is very bad, especially when it is windy. Not sure what else to do but take it to dealer. Thanks for everyones ideas.
  • retsabretsab Member Posts: 10
    I have an '09 Sonata GLS, haven't noticed any wind noise but I did notice my drivers side mirror weather covering (black triangle surrounding the mirror base) starting to come loose at the top. I am worried about snow and moisture getting behind, freezing and causing difficulty with the mirror. I took it to the dealership, they thought it might be the Weather Tec window shields causing this problem but decided to order a new mirror for my car. It has been so cold and the roads so messed up I would never notice wind noise here in Western New York.
    That is what happened to my drivers mirror so I assumed the gaps were causing the noise, as someone else posted, it doesn't take much, I don't have window shields so I think the mirrors are just seperating. Did you have the dealer replace it or buy and replace yourself. I though about buying an OEM on the web (did this for a Saturn years ago and it was fine). Will cost about $70 this way, the dealer will charge about $300 I imagine including installation costs. It is a high pitched whistle though, not typical wind noise so air must be getting in or around something.
  • retsabretsab Member Posts: 10
    Dealer is going to replace it under warranty, has been ordered but not installed as of this date. I might have an advantage due to the fact that this car is a replacement for another in a Lemon Law decision 2 years earlier.
    I see, I bought my car used, the mirror had a small crack in the bottom front corner where it mounts to the door (I did not notice this when I bought the car) so I was afraid the dealer would not replace it since this was damage rather than a part failure. This is why I decided to caulk the gap myself. Of course now I've tampered with it and I still is no better. Someone had suggested removing the mirror and covering the hole then taking the car for a drive. This way if the noise stops, I know its the mirror. Think I will try this when it warms up.
  • joel607joel607 Member Posts: 3
    Have an 09 Sonata with the same issue...creaking snapping noise coming from passenger's side dash area...interestingly enough the 2011 has the same issue and the fix is to loosen are reposition and tighten the hood mount. Since the hood mount area is almost underneath the windshield and dash area makes sense it would sound like it's coming from the dash...mine is worse when cold and gets better as it gets really hot but flexing the frame when hitting bumps makes it worse. Mine is at the dealership right now and have a good relationship with service manager and he knows i'm in the automotive diagnostic field, I passed on what I found out and will let you know how it turns out. My suspension thunking noise was 80% addressed with new strut and strut mount and making sure the strut fork was tight, the other issue is a balljoint that the boot is crushed and collapsed on one side that hopefully will take care of the rest of the suspension noise, otherwise I'm really happy with my 28 MPG average and the overall features and styling of the car...it's a limited edition I purchased used with new warranty still in place.
  • joel607joel607 Member Posts: 3
    Have an 09 Sonata with the same issue...creaking snapping noise coming from passenger's side dash area...interestingly enough the 2011 has the same issue and the fix is to loosen are reposition and tighten the hood mount. Since the hood mount area is almost underneath the windshield and dash area makes sense it would sound like it's coming from the dash...mine is worse when cold and gets better as it gets really hot but flexing the frame when hitting bumps makes it worse. Mine is at the dealership right now and have a good relationship with service manager and he knows i'm in the automotive diagnostic field, I passed on what I found out and will let you know how it turns out. My suspension thunking noise was 80% addressed with new strut and strut mount and making sure the strut fork was tight, the other issue is a balljoint that the boot is crushed and collapsed on one side that hopefully will take care of the rest of the suspension noise, otherwise I'm really happy with my 28 MPG average and the overall features and styling of the car...it's a limited edition I purchased used with new warranty still in place.
  • davesev6davesev6 Member Posts: 6
    Bought my 09 SEV6 back in Aug. 08 and it has always had that whistle from the drivers side. Can't really notice in unless moving fast or with the window down, but it seems to come from the mirror. Not sure why since the passenger side doesn't do it. Always wanted to look into it, but never really got around to it. Looked the irror over, but never saw any issues. Like I said, it was doing it straight off the lot. Always a small nuisance, but never enough to take the time taking it to the dealer.
    That is my exact situation, drivers side mirror but not passenger. Only on highway or on windy days, but it is loud. May get a replacement mirror and see if this helps. Sorry you are having this problem too but glad to have someone else confirm my suspicion that its the mirror.
    Replaced mirror and noise is gone. Thank you to all that tried to help!
  • gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    Hello, I am having a problem with the automatic dome light dimmer. the lights won't come on when you open the door. the lights do work when you turn them on manually. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    My Sonata is an '05 bvut yours may operate the same. There are 2 or 3 buttons in front of the dome light. Someone may accidentially pushed a button other than you desired setting.
  • sduff68sduff68 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2011
    I finally fixed the squeak rattle in my 09 Hyundai Sonata Limited I4.

I only heard it coming from what appeared at first to be the dash or the windshield area during cold weather (40 degrees or cooler).

Based on what i had heard from reviewing multiple hyundai related forums and blogs I decided to try "lubricating" my windshield to see if it might stop the squeak/rattle after dealing with the dealership and trying to use other fixes failed.

I sprayed one of those clear tire shine/lubricant sprays (the ones that look silicon based) along the rubber seams in the windshield. I even lifted up the rubber seams and allowed the tire shine spray to get into the cracks.

Well, that appeared to solve the problem!

I don't know if the rubber was squeaking rubbing against the glass windshield, or if if the rubber was too hard in cold weather, but now I drive over bumps and indentation that used to cause the squeak/rattle and it isn't there!

This is a big relief for me, I considered my 09 Sonata Limited to be a poor mans luxury car (especially with it's absolutely beautiful interior) and the squeak/rattle was a huge disappointment.
  • 1savior1savior Member Posts: 1
    I have 37,000 mi. on my sonada. In the morning when it is cold, it down shifts very hard. after it warms up it seems to be fine.I'am taking it to the dealer to get it checked out. Will let you know what i find out. This forum has been very helpful.