Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I suppose you can't blame a dealer for trying to boost profits

I agree that one can't blame a dealer trying to make profit. I just can't stand this practise. Taking advantage of someone who doesn't know any better with ridiculous prices for add-ons is just kind slimy IMO. I know it is right there to see and they aren't sneaking it in during the sales process but I just won't buy a car at one of those dealers. Just a matter of principle as far as I'm concerned. Obviously, other dealers that don't follow this practise must maximize profit the old fashioned way---hard negotiating.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I got to see the 2009 Sonata GLS and Limited up close today at the local auto show. They had a red GLS with premium package and a white Limited.

First, the new dash is even better up close than in photos. The materials quality is really good. Even the faux aluminum trim didn't look or feel cheap (if not quite convincing as aluminum). IMO the dash (with the faux wood trim) is the nicest of any of the current mid-sized cars, especially the I4 cars. (And I looked at all of them today.) It looks good and everything feels good and works smoothly. Most of the plastic on the dash and doors is padded, an increasing rarity on new cars today.

The driver's seat was power in both cars, and it seemed more comfortable than before (maybe because the cushion is longer, as someone else noted). Also, it seemed like the height adjuster has a greater range of movement than on the 2008 Sonata. Anyway, it was easy to find a comfortable driving position.

The new alloys on the Limited don't look as bad in person as they did in photos--there is some texture to them that isn't evident in the photos. But I still prefer the simpler looks of the GLS. The more-red taillamps didn't bother me, except I don't know why Hyundai changed them. Maybe it was, "Hey, you folks who think these look like an Accord's lamps--take THAT!" The plastic covers on the GLS appear to be carried over from 2008.

Some not so good changes:

* The front center armrest is now plastic-covered, with little padding. I much preferred the armrest on the 2006-8 Sonatas. This new one looks cheap and isn't comfortable. It's the same on the Limited as on the GLS. Hyundai goofed on that change, I think.

* The inside door handles are black plastic. They look and feel cheap. The silver-painted handles on the 2006-8 Sonata weren't the greatest, but they looked a lot better than these. I thought it was a strange move by Hyundai until I noticed that the Veracruz has similar door handles. So maybe they think they're stylish. Note to Hyundai: they're not.

* In an obvious cost-cutting move, the GLS with preferred package lost the fog lamps. Those are unusual on base models in this class, but the car does look better with them and they are pretty useful in many parts of the country.

* One thing that stood out looking at the Limited, which had the light tan leather, is that the seat belts are black. They looked odd against the tan leather. Before, the cars with tan leather had tan belts, a little darker than the leather. The black belts kind of jump out at you ("Keee--yaa!"... ok, maybe not like that).

Other than that, I was pretty impressed by the 2009 Sonata. I'd like to see it with the gray and black interiors. (The tan cloth on the GLS was pretty light--I can see it getting dirty pretty easily.) Judging from the response of the rather large crowd gathered around the new Sonatas (a larger crowd than I've ever seen before at the Hyundai exhibit at this auto show), others find them attractive also.

P.S. They also had a cut-away Sonata Limited showing off its safety features--including (inflated) airbags.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe a pad can be put on the armrest.
    For some reason, there is always some oversight or flaw that could have been easily prevented/fixed in almost every car I see in this price range.
    Well, no car, even the luxo-cruisers, is perfect. I just wonder sometimes, "Why did they do that?"

A center armrest is not a deal-breaker, but it's just strange that they took a armrest that was just fine and messed it up, after making so many other improvements to the car. And black belts in an ivory interior? Maybe it's some chic thing that goes over my head.
    I could live with plastic door handles and black belts since they really don't hurt anything, but I would not buy a new car and try to live with an uncomfortable armrest that made my arm/elbow sore on long trips for the next 5 or 6 years. Most people are not going to notice any problem with it on a 10 minute test drive, but may regret it later.

Maybe the cars at the show are preproduction and they did something better with the armrest in the production cars or will make changes later.
    I drove a Corolla LE this week and it had a hard plastic center armrest that was unacceptable, so this is not unique to the Sonata. I think the Corolla XLE has a better armrest though.
    Maybe an upholstery shop could add padding to the armrest for not too much money, but, otherwise, that could be too much of an annoyance unless you plan to wear elbow pads on road trips
    .image
    That's a good point about these auto show samples possibly being pre-production. There were no Monroney stickers on them, just a note re "Monroney stickers are available at the information desk." I hope that is the case (pre-production).

I know what you mean re the Corolla LE's arm rest--it was in fact hard plastic, not padded plastic as was the Sonata's. Really an elbow-knocker. But the padding on the Sonata's armrest was not very comfy, not like the padded cloth armrests of yore.

And no, I don't plan on wearing elbow pads on trips. ;)
    I also drove a Prius for a weekend with a very large cloth covered center armest.
    Unfortunately, it felt like only had about 1/8th inch of padding under the cloth with hard plastic underneath.

It felt fine until the end of the day when I noticed my forearm was sore and almost bruised.
    A bit more padding would have made it an excellent armrest.
    I don't know how things like that get past these companies.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Went to the dealership yesterday with a friend who wanted to test drive a 2009 Sonata V6. The dealer has several 2009s now but NO SEs yet. Anyway the salesman gave us the keys to a 2009 pearl white Limited with the beige leather. I don't remember what color the seat belts were but I did notice that the carpeting was black. The door handles looked like shiny brushed aluminum. They were definitely NOT black and they look better than the pewter colored ones in the 2006 I used to own. My friend and I liked the look and feel of the new dash and center stack. I was a little disappointed that the instrument cluster was not electro luminescent.

I thought the power train in the 2006 V6 was pretty darn good and refined but the new one is even better. What impressed both of us most, however were the improvements to the suspension. We drove it over every type of pavement available at various speeds and the car took everything in stride - no creaks, groans, clunks, kthumps, or jolts.

What neither of us liked was the sticker price of over $26,000. My friend asked the salesman to give him a call when incentives become available.

Off topic: I'm no longer the proud owner of a 2006 Sonata. I traded it in last Monday for a 2007 Azera Limited with the Ultimate package. Loved the Sonata but the dealership made me an offer on the Azzy I couldn't refuse. I wished my wife would have taken possession of the Sonata and given me her Kia to trade but she likes driving a small car. BTW my salesman told me yesterday that he sold the Sonata to a young airman from the local air base, two days after I traded it in. The airman definitely got a good car.
  • xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    Anyone know if the warning chime is less noisy for the '09s? I shoved a pair of gloves underneath the center stack to reduce the noise.
  • akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    * One thing that stood out looking at the Limited, which had the light tan leather, is that the seat belts are black. They looked odd against the tan leather. Before, the cars with tan leather had tan belts, a little darker than the leather. The black belts kind of jump out at you ("Keee--yaa!"... ok, maybe not like that).

Having black belts in a tan interior will bother some people, including me, enough to not consider this car seriously for buying.

I am hoping that this idiosyncrasy was in a preproduction model only. Thus, I have a question for those of you who may have bought or looked at a production version of the 2009 Sonata Limited with tan interior. Do the production models also have black belts in cars with tan interior or are those in tan color matching the interior?
    Maybe it's just preproduction, but It didn't look that bad to me. Maybe it's supposed to be a contrasting and match the dark carpet. I've seen cars with tan interiors that have matching tan carpet that looks really bad within weeks.
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    Two weeks ago I visited a local Hyundai dealer in S. Florida and took a 2009 Sonata Limited V6 for a test drive. The dealership location was important to me since it is located near Interstate 75.

The first thing that I noticed was how the subtle exterior tweaks had given the Sonata an even more elegant, sophisticated look. From the reshaped jeweled headlights, front and rear bumpers and grill to the near flawless fit and finish, including tight gap lines. Everything looked tight.

The interior did not disappoint as the major changes in the re-design of the dash now blends in harmony with the 'enhanced' elegance of the exterior. I was even more impressed with the high quality soft touch dash areas and chrome interior door handles. Very nice. Though, I would have much preferred if Hyundai had chosen to offer perforated leather seating surfaces. I think this would have added even more of an upscale elegance to this car.

I thought the dark carmel colored seat belts blended well with the interior of the vehicle and did not find that it detracted one bit. Perhaps this item is a matter of personal taste. However, it pales as an area of issue compared to the overall aesthetics and visible improvements.

Once I got rolling, it was obvious that Hyundai had tweaked the Sonata's suspension to offer even more suppleness and sophistication. Driving over some coarse asphalt proved that and what was even just as impressive was how quiet the ride was.

I-75 gave me a chance to find out just how much faster the added horses, which increased from 242 to 258, made the Sonata perform. I felt the performance of the V6 to be very responsive indeed. Hammering the accelerator returned an immediate reward of power and I could hear a slight growl from the engine as the speedo ticked up to 80. Honestly, I could see the need for a Beltronic or Valentine One, if nothing more than to protect against heavy left foot syndrome. This V6 power is too tempting.

I don't want to give the impression that this is a sports sedan by any means but given the current improvements in the engine and powertrain, it is only a matter of time before Hyundai offers the Sonata in SE gear. Handling felt very secure and drama free as I exited a circular off-ramp thanks to the standard stability control.

Although I liked the ride and design of the 2006 Sonata, Hyundai has definitely brought their 'A' game with the improvements in the 2009 given all the necessary changes and improvements from the exterior and most importantly, interior, including the suspension and powertrain. This Sonata can sing!
  • fannibalfannibal Member Posts: 23
    1000$ rebate plus 500$ hyundai loyalty rebate started for the 2009 sonata today. I got this information from 2 separate dealerships in the philadelphia area.

I am actually torn between a 2008 and a 2009. Are the updates worth the extra $$? I am thinking of buying a 2008 limited 4 cyl for 17,948$ before TTL. any thoughts? should I wait for a 2000$ 2009 sonata rebate?
    There are still parts of the country that have a huge supply of 2008s and few 2009s. They can't raise the rebate on 2009s any time soon or the price difference between them will be too close and the remaining 2008s will not move.
  • howard18howard18 Member Posts: 53
    If there is only $1,500 difference for the rebate, i will go for 2009 Sonata!!! Don't your guys think so???
    Yes, assuming both cars are otherwise discounted to the same level before the rebate.
    The 2009 will have a little better resale value and it will also just be nicer to drive since it's an improved model.
    I'm surprised they didn't wait for the 2008s to go before even adding the $1000 rebate.
    The Hyundai dealer I went to had a lot full of 2008s (maybe close to 100) and no 2009s yet. I'm sure they don't even want to deal with seeing 2009s before they clear out the 2008s.
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    Anyone know when the 09 will come out in Canada? I desperately need a car and the 09 Sonata looks like the car for me (I can't stand the 08 interior)
    I didn't drive it because it was a V6 and I'm only considering the 4 cylinder. It was their only 2009 and they still have tons of 2008s. I'm really surprised that there is a rebate when the dealers barely have any 2009s to sell yet anyway.

The interior was really nice and the dark seatbelts and dark carpeting with the tan leather did look stylish. The contrast actually looks better than if it was all matching.
    This is interesting--another post said the tan leather had tan belts. :confuse:

Some dealers do have many 2009s in stock, e.g. Fitzmall does. I noticed they are offering about $3000-4000 off on these depending on trim. Also I saw ads from two local (Twin Cities) dealers for the 2009s this past weekend--the first local ads I've seen for 2009s. In one case, they advertised ONLY the 2009 Sonata, not the 2008s--meaning I expect they have few if any 2008s left. In the other case, they advertised both 2008s and 2009s.
    I went to another Hyundai dealer to look for a 2009 and they also had one single 2009 and it was almost exactly the same V6 Limited but without nav. This was a sleazier dealer that had a $2995 "Market Value Adjustment" sticker next to the factory sticker.

I decided to go ahead a drive it and it was very nice. The V6 was silky, but I didn't change my mind about wanting a 4 cylinder.

I then went to a Chevy dealer and test drove a 2008 Malibu and liked it better in most ways except for the amount of passenger space and it only having a 4-speed automatic. The Malibu was barely adequate in interior space and the Sonata had room to spare,

I'm now leaning towards waiting for a 2009 Malibu with the new six-speed, but I will probably test drive a 2009 Sonata 4 cylinder before deciding..
    I think the 6-speed Malibu I4 will be available only in LTZ trim--which is probably what you want anyway, since you're looking at the Sonata Limited.

By the time the 6-speed Malibu I4s show up, the Sonata SE I4 might be at dealers. That could make for an interesting test drive... as long as you don't mind a stick.
    The 6-speed four cylinder will only be in LTZ trim on 2008 models, but it will become available for all except the LS on 2009 models.
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I test drove a 4 cyl limited 2 weeks ago and was impressed with it. The interior is much nicer than previous Sonnatas. This new interior is as nice or nicer than the 08 Accord EXL. The power for the 4 cyl is adequate, but the Accord and Altima(especially) felt quicker. The Accord and Altima also felt more sporty. I did not care for the Camry, I felt Toyota can give you more for what they are charging. The price for a hyundai is a hard sell for me 24K( I currently own a Toyota and Mazda). Once the incentives(rebate) is around $2000 or higher, this would be quite a compelling buy. I hope Hyundai will continue to improve their vehicles like this to give the Japanese companies something to worry about. I don't even consider American makes(GM, Ford, Chrysler), I feel they are constantly playing catch up and not doing a very good job at it(except for the new Malibu and CTS).
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    When 09 Sonata SE be out? I wish Hyundai would put the 09 models on their website soon. Local dealer said there might be a leather seat option on the SE for 09.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2006 Sonata GLS V6 and now that I see the excellent Edmunds review of the 2009 Sonata, I've got the idea to trade up. I have a 60 month loan with $319 monthly payment that's up in May 2011 so my balance is around $10,600 right now.

I'm interested in a 4 cylinder since I live in the city and the 6 gets really bad mileage for my city driving, which is gentle on the accelerator but the drive is filled with lights and stop signs. I only average under 16 mpg in the city. (29 on the highway, but that's only 10% of my driving.)

Do you think it's foolish to trade up to a 2009? Since they are new, I imagine the deals aren't as good as with the outgoing 2008's. And Hyundai is giving $1,500 more for the 2008 rebates so I could be open to a 2008. (I didn't get a good test drive in a 2006 4 cylinder so I don't have a good idea of the power or lack thereof.)

I'm also hoping I might be able to get Hyundai financing at a lower rate than I currently have, making the monthly payment equal or less depending on my trade-in allowance.

Getting down to it, I want better fuel economy while staying with a mid-size car and would like to change from a black exterior to silver. I also wanted leather when I originally bought the 2006 but didn't feel that the quality of the Sonata leather was that good. Perhaps it's better on the 2009.

Thanks for anyone's input.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Do you think that it's smart to take on more debt just to acquire a car that's not terribly different from what you're now driving? You may gain a few mpg, but unless you really pile on the miles, it'll take years for your fuel savings to exceed the cost of the new car.

What's wrong with hanging on to your '06 until you've paid off the loan? Why not go a step further & keep the car for 2 or 3 years after you've paid it off & bank the payments? Then you can make a much bigger down payment on your next car.
    You are approaching his situation from a financial point of view and from that aspect you are 100% correct. However, most people buy new vehicles for a variety of reasons(financial considerations being one) and the poster mentioned two or three in his post. Your advice is good and I follow it myself but I also realize that there are emotional aspects to buying, owning and driving that are valid. I know he wants to save on gas but it looks like there are definitely other strong motivators as well.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Good point.

If every person were to keep their car 10 - 15 years like I do, the car industry and the economy would be in a far, far worse situation than it is today. The economy is propped up by consumer spending of any type, especially of the discretionary and emotional types, of which 75+% of the population are active contributors. Uncle Sam is hoping that we all spend our coming rebate checks to do that. The smart people(less than 25% population), like the many financial advice that have been given, would invest their rebate in, say their IRA/401K , or pay down their debt.

My 2007 Sonata Limited V6 has had no problems, is a joy to drive and I am planning to keep her over 10 years like my past vehicles. I also do my own PM. That strategy has saved me so much money and with its investment gains, I have been able to buy my new cars in cash.

But then, to each, its own...
    I agree with your assessment of the OP's motives: better fuel economy is only part of the story here. Certainly, there's nothing at all wrong with buying a new car simply because you want a new car -- as long as you aren't fooling yourself about why you're doing what you're doing.

During the 1979 gas crunch, one of my coworkers insisted that trading in his 3-year-old car was a smart move because the new car was more fuel efficient. Well, my friend lived all of 3 miles from the office, & his new ride represented a 2 mpg improvement (as I recall) over what he had been driving. But he defended this transaction as a real money-saver.
    I usually keep my vehicles 7-10yrs. Longest was 13yrs and shortest was 1 year). The reason for the one year car was that I got somewhat of a lemon(used) and really didn't like the car for that and other reasons, mostly asthetic. Have to admit that as I get older I do a lot more research into the exact car I want so even if I don't love it after three years, I can live with it for financial reasons for at least 7 yrs or so.

Right now my wife and I are getting ready to trade a 6(almost 7) year old SUV for a new mid-size sedan. Probably would be a little better financially if we kept for 3 or 4 more years but neither one of us likes to drive it anymore, it uses premium and gets really lousy MPG. So I can understand when somebody just wants something different to a degree. But like you said, I'm not kidding myself that I'm going to save money in the transaction.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    If it was me, I'd stay with what I got. You aren't really trading up unless you're going for the Limited and its associated amenities.
    We do pretty much the same thing: keep our cars for 8 to 10 years. I hung on to one car for more than 13 years & regretted it; the last 2 years turned out to be awfully expensive. Then again, we were coping with family stuff (elderly parents) & didn't have time to shop for a new car.

Anyway, I'm here because my mother-in-law is thinking about replacing her 2000 Camry. Her experience with the Toyota has been good & if no one speaks up, she'll buy another one, but I suspect that the Sonata might be a better value. For one thing, a valuable safety feature - ESC - is standard on the Sonata & optional on the Camry. Toyota dealers tend to stock cars that are either loaded or stripped, which means that a Camry equipped with ESC (Toyota calls it "VSC") is likely to have stuff - V6 engine, leather, etc. - that my 80-year-old MIL doesn't want. She'll go for the 4-cylinder base car in the back of the lot, which probably won't have ESC. So I'm thinking that she might be better off with a Sonata.

Has anyone cross-shopped Camry vs. Sonata lately? If so, what are your impressions?
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    The Sonata is a better value, as you suspected. The best deals right now are on 2008 Sonatas, and many people are getting 4cyl / auto GLS models for around $16,000 Out The Door (after tax, doc fees). The best deal you'll find on a similar '08 Camry is about $19,500 Out The Door. Ride comfort, ergonomics, and fuel economy are very close between the 2 cars. From my experience with rentals, the Sonata actually seems more solidly built.

So, you save about $3,500 with the Sonata, and you get a better-equipped car.

If she doesn't mind spending more, the 2009 Sonatas are even nicer. The interiors were completely redone and are considered among the best in the class. The suspensions were refined even more for a super-soft ride and better handling, and the engines (both 4cyl and V6) get the best fuel economy in the midsize class. If you go test drive an '09 Sonata GLS and an '09 Camry LE, you'll probably wonder why the Sonata isn't more expensive than the Camry. The Hyundai website doesn't list the '09 Sonata yet because they want dealers to clear-out all the leftover '08's first. If she can wait about 2 to 3 more months, there will probably be at least a $1,000 rebate on the '09's.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    There already is a $1,000 rebate on the '09 Sonata--$1500 in the NY area including a $500 auto show discount.
    Thanks, autokritiker, for your informative & to-the-point comments. Much appreciated.

As it happens, the women in my wife's family are extraordinarily indecisive. It can take them 2 or 3 months to pick out a pair of shoes, so my MIL will have no trouble waiting until rebates are available on the '09s.
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    Glad I could help. There are a lot of members in here with tons of combined knowledge, so you came to the right place. I've done a lot of research on the Sonatas, since I've been planning to replace my '01 Hyundai Accent. It's just so hard to replace such a good car: approaching 170K miles, still gets around 35 MPG at 70 MPH on the freeway. The most expensive thing I've had to replace was the MAF Sensor about a year ago, which was $290 from the dealer. Took a whole 5 minutes for me to replace it myself. First Hyundai I've ever owned, and it definitely won't be the last.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my post about trading up. Really appreciate the thoughts. After reading the comments about gas mileage I figured out that it will take me quite awhile to justify trading mainly for the mpg difference. Looking forward to seeing the new interior in person. I'll visit the dealer soon for an oil change and inquire about what sort of deal they can offer me.
  • newuser3newuser3 Member Posts: 1
    I just thought I'd contribute to this discussion. I've been working at a Hyundai dealership for some time and I think the company's doing great things.I'm glad to see our bestseller improved so much. The front grill gives it better look I think and the interior is great, I'll go as far as say it's one of the best interiors I've seen in any car. I personally prefer the grey one.
    I'm glad Sonata went from 4 speed automatic to 5 speed automatic (talking abour 4 cylinder engines)...makes it quieter and helps fuel economy. It's faster than the previous one, not by much, but most of the population should be perfectly ok with the acceleration. Its handling has been improved, body roll much lower than the previous 4Cyl, and much better feedback on the steering wheel
    Few suggestions - fold in mirrors still nonexistent, turn signal is green on a predominantly blue instrument panel (looks out of place), wheel covers look cheap on such a nice car....btw, the rebate here is 2000 (if you're an owner of Hyundai), hope my boss doesn't read this...
    I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer to see what they had for 2009 Sonatas. They had a long row of 2009s out front, all Limiteds and GLSes. They had NO new 2008s visible, just a couple of used ones. A few observations:

* There's a silver blue color that I like very much. A little more blue than the former steel grey, but still sharp IMO. There's also a slate blue that is darker, but still handsome. Both look good with the grey interior--richer than silver. Also, the grey interior makes the black seat belts stand out less, and the base trim, which is what I'd describe as mottled aluminum or maybe faux carbon fiber, looks ok with grey. There's a grey exterior color that looked like a basic grey, not like the former steel grey. It was ok, but not as sharp IMO as the silver blue or slate blue. The hold-over colors I saw were black, silver, camel, red, and natural khaki.

* Most of the GLSes had the ivory interior, which is quite light and I think would show dirt easily. It looks good with the upgrade wood trim, but I think the base dash trim looks better with grey.

* The black leather interior on the Limited looks nice, although I'm not a big fan of black interiors. I didn't see any Limiteds with the new brown interior--they had ivory, grey, and black.

* I noticed the GLS has been decontented a bit for '09. The preferred package (?), i.e. the one that costs $650, used to include fog lamps and a leather-covered wheel and shifter. Not any more. :( Also the cover on the center console is now plastic vs. cloth, and the door handles on the GLS are black plastic (chrome plastic on the Limiteds though). But there is that slick new dash. :)

* There was one base GLS with the Bluetooth option on the factory sticker. This was surprising, since I had heard that Bluetooth was a dealer-added option. Unless the stickers are printed by the dealer??
    Maybe they install some bluetooth kits at the factory or at some midpoint pseudo "port" between the factory and the dealership.
  • suvojitsuvojit Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I am getting a 2009 Hyundai Sonta GLS 4 cylinder Auto for 18645 Out of the Door..

I got a $1000 rebate but i wa stold that $1500 rebate is only part of the Hyundai Loyalty program..

Is this a good deal?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes it's port installed. It replaces the sunglasses holder. The unit is made by Johnson controls. It's a rebadged blueconnect system that doesn't integrate with the radio.
    I read earlier that the factory nav doesn't have any voice recognition so I wasn't considering it because it would have little advantage over a portable unit, but I just went to the Kelly Blue Book site and read this description on the 2009 Sonata page:

Navigation System • Limited 1,137.00 1,250.00
    (N/A GLS or SE) Includes Touch Screen & Voice Activation.

The Intellichoice web site also list it:

Navigation System $1,137 $1,250
    Touch Screen Grp
    Voice Activation Grp

Does it have voice activation or not? If so, how much voice activation? Can you enter an address with your voice or find points of interest (food, gas stations etc.) while driving?

Also, does it have the ability to speak the street names so it can say "Turn right on Main Street" instead of "Turn right in 600 feet?"

Does the voice recognition control the radio such as tuning to a certain XM radio station?

I saw some Limiteds at my local Hyundai dealer the other day with nav. Maybe the most sure way to answer all your questions about the Sonata's nav system would be to take one for a spin.
    I took my Elantra in for an oil change and wash (both free :D ) today and checked out the showfloor. There was a 2009 Sonata GLS (slate blue, tan interior, no options except mats) so I climbed in. The first thing I noticed was that I was immediately comfortable. This was not the case on the 2006-2008 Sonatas w/o the power seat. The seat bottom really does feel longer and offered good thigh support. Also the seatback had better lumbar support than the 2006-8 base seat, even w/o the lumbar adjuster. The wheel was a comfortable reach w/o the telescoper.

So this experience changed my mind about the need for the options package with the power seat. The main reason I thought I needed that package was for the power-adjustable seat bottom, which provided a comfortable driving position compared to the manual seat on the 2006-8 Sonatas. But now I don't need it for a comfy fit. The other features--trip computer, audio controls on the wheel, chrome trim strips along the bottom of the side windows, woodgrain trim--I can do without. Two of my favorite features on this package--leather wheel/shifter and fog lamps--have been dropped out for 2009. And I like the faux metal trim on the base GLS' dash just fine, with the grey interior (but the woodgrain trim looks nicer on the tan interior IMO). But I wouldn't get the tan interior anyway. The color is very light, and I think the fabric, especially the velour on the sides, will show dirt easily. And I think the dark carpet, belts, and doorsill trim look better with the grey interior.

So now I have the Medium Silver Blue GLS 5AT with no options except mats and the grey interior locked into my "consider" list for this fall. (Slate blue and grey would be OK too, but I really like that silver blue.) Although there will have to be some big incentives in place then to move it ahead of the top two cars on my list, the 2009 Fit and Elantra Touring.
  • jjx456jjx456 Member Posts: 41
  • brian302505brian302505 Member Posts: 22
    I sell Hyundai's in Minnesota, and can confirm it is Voice Recognition. In fact, I have most of the commands memorized, I actually don't have to touch the nav itself, until I have to hit the agree button when you start the car or add a CD to the unit. After playing with it, I found it to be easy to use and personally I think one of the best out there. :D

Hope this helps!
    Can you give some specific examples of what can be done by voice?
  • asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    So what are my chances of getting a good price in Connecticut? I want a SE and all the 2008's are gone of course. The $1000 off rebate really isn't anything since i the 2009 invoice price for the SE lists for like 700 more than the 2008.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    I bought my 2007 I4 Sonata before 14 months. I put over 13,000 miles on it so far. The car is reliable and I never took it to the dealer for any services. However, there are few areas where Hyundai can make improvements. The engine is noisy when you push it hard but it is quite at highway speeds (cruising). The suspension system can be isolated to reduce noise. The dash panel is ugly. I saw few pictures of the 2009 model and I really liked the new style internally and externally. I may buy the 2009 model and give my 2007 Sonata to my daughter.
    The questions I need answers for are:
    First: Is the new engine still noisy like the 2007 engine.
    Second: since the introduction of the 2006 model, any news about serious problems with the engine, unibody, rust, transmission, suspension system, etc.
    Third: this is the most important question but it is difficult to answer at this time. How about the quality and longevity of the Sonata. I feel using the data of the old models may not be fair at this time because Hyundai made a totally new model and kept improving the quality of its cars.
    My friend has a 1995 Toyota Camry and drive it like crazy even on local roads and gots many tickets but the car withstands all such abuse. I drove with him recently and I told him when he changed the freon of the cooling system. He said he never changed it and the car now is about 13 years old and the airconditioner still works fine. This is an example of the longevity and quality of components I am talking about.
    I am planning to keep the car for 10-15 years (I have 6 kids waiting). So I really don't care about the price after 10-15 years. Depreciation is not an issue for me. The most important factors are longevity, price, and value. I appreciate any suggestions.