Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• lennyyulennyyu Member Posts: 8
    Hi, just got the 09 Sonata last friday, i notice my sonata will always wave to the left when i am on highway doing 65+, it will only happen when i am on the center lane and left lane of the highway. Once i move to the right lane or get on the local, the car will go stright.

I check all the tire pressure and still doing the same thing. is this only happen to me or other people have the same thing. anything i should worry about?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Might want to have the wheel balance and possibly the alignment checked, by the dealer. Since it's brand new, adjustments should be covered under warranty.
  • lennyyulennyyu Member Posts: 8
    just got the 09 GLS, i felt in love with car when i first saw it. Before i could never image myself drive a hyundai, but i think my decision is good even though i may pay abit too much on my GLS. about 18500 after tax and my trade in.

For you question,
    1. 09 engine is a upgrade from 07 and 08. it is the 2nd generation theta engine and you also get the upgrade on the Auto Trans. it is a 5 speed now Engine sound i think is not that bad, but i never drove a 08 before. But i think it is okay.
    2. all the engine trans and suspension are all upgraded on the 09, so Hyundai should address any problem already.

As for Toyota, i think their quality has gone low, My dad has an 09 Sienna mini van. that car has nothing but problem. of course all the problem are not engine related but still, sometime windows stopped working, fuse gone bad, these little problems are problems that we should not expect a toyota developes.

My view toward Sonata when compare to accord and Camry are
    1. Accord
    2. Sonata
    3. Camry.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Probably that particular road has a high crown in the center lane biased toward the left lane. If the car tracks straight on other roads or as you state even on the right lane of the same highway there is probably no mechanical issues with the car.
  • hickorychickoryc Member Posts: 25
    I drove my Contour 11 years and 220,000 miles and also did my own PM. Reasons: a)Knowing the old oil had sufficient time to drain completely, b)Knowing the filter was changed, c)Knowing the surfaces were wiped clean prior to insertion of new oil & air filters, d)Knowing oil drain plug was started carefully and not stripped or the head mashed...and other things along those lines. One other reason to change your own oil: You get a good opportunity to check out the underside of your vehicle every 3 months...and it so, you'll find things amiss from time-to-time. My point is I don't think I save a lot of money in the parts, but vehicle longevity factor leans in the favor of those of us who do our own PMs.
  • aalsherriaalsherri Member Posts: 68
    Thanks lennyyu.
    We need someone who drove 2007 model to compare the noise level from the engine and the suspension system.
    Enjoy your car! I feel it is a good car for the money but the price will drop by the end of next year.
    Most engines including low quality engines last over 150,000 with proper maintenance. Some engines are more reliable than others because the manufacturer use high quality components such as materials, starters, water pumps, compressors, alternators, chains, pistons, etc. High quality engines with proper maintenance and the use of synthetic oil can last over 600,000 miles. I read a story about a SAAB engine that lasts 1,000,000 miles. Yes one million miles without any rebuilt. The reason according to the owner is that he uses synthetic oil and most of the miles are highway miles.
    I change the oil myself and use synthetic oil. So changing the oil may help reduce wear but will not lengthen the life of low quality components.
    The test for Hyundai is to built long lasting cars because this is the main factor to reduce depreciation and enhance Hyundai image.
    The Japanese especially Toyota and Honda build their reputation based on their reliable cars during the 90's and the Koreans have to do the same thing.
    Anyway we may witness in our lifes the end of the oil era. Oil will not last more than 15 years and the price of oil will continue to climb over time. I wonder when I see so many large SUV with 5+ liters with only the driver inside. This is wrong and a big waste of resources.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, let's not lose sight of our topic here which we're just about to do. You might want to check out the topics over on our Automotive News & Views board where your thoughts would be most appropriate!

:)
  • jim1299jim1299 Member Posts: 16
    Got a real world "torture test" of the ability of the 2009 Sonata to avoid an accident Friday afternoon. Was cruising in traffic at 45 mph when someone pulled out from a side street at an absurdly short distance (I'm estimating 50+ yards, but this is a SWAG). Didn't have time to hit the horn (plus my instinct is always to maneuver out of trouble myself rather than relying on the other driver). Laid on the brakes and tried to steer behind the car (since it was continuing broadside into my path). Was probably still moving 25+ mph when I passed the rear of the other car by a foot or two. My daughter, who was in the car, said she heard the tires squeal (despite the ABS and ESC), but I have no recollection of it.

I'm not sure to what extent it was the ABS or ESC that got me out of this situation. The Sonata is the first car I've owned with stability control-- and in this panic maneuver for the first time I did feel the body sway reviewers have spoken about on the Sonata. Certainly didn't feel like 'numb' or loggy steering, though, which I've also heard cited as a complaint against the pre-09 Sonatas.

I am convinced that this is only one of the five cars I currently own (including a Honda Accord) that could have steered out of this situation. It was one of those times when you *know* you're going to hit despite your best efforts-- yet you don't.
    The only conscious thought that went through my mind was "Great-- I'm going to total my 3 week old car! Good thing it's the other driver's fault, and he's insured" (He was pulling out of a 'gated community' in a German-made sedan, which again proves that money and driving skill/common sense aren't always linked!)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    My guess is that you were a lot closer than you think(50yds/150ft/about 9 car lengths). I think most midsized cars can go from 60 to 0 in around 120-140 ft. From 45mph the stopping distance would probably me more like 80-100 ft. I certainly am not an expert but this is just from memory reading a lot of consumer report reviews.

Congrats on your(and your car's)ability to avoid this accident. I know how you feel. I had less than 1400 miles on a new Maxima one time and a delivery guy did
    something similar with worse results than you had. Pretty sickening as I was pretty proud of that car.
    I re-drove that stretch of road today and, while the details are fuzzy (I'd seen the other car sitting stopped before deciding to dart out), I agree it was probably less than 50 yards separation when he pulled out. I decided to be conservative in my estimate (no 'sea story' here!), plus you've got to allow for reaction time getting my foot from the accelerator to the brake. My reflexes are fast, but I'm sure at 45mph my car chewed up another couple of car lengths before I hit the brake pedal. Again, it was close another that both my daughter and I were amazed not to feel an impact, at least of me clipping his tail. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been at the wheel of either my Ford conversion van or Honda Odyssey. Centerpunched sports sedan for sure!
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    What's the difference between the "GLS" and the GLS PZEV"?

Both have the same MSRP.
    PZEV (partial zero emissions vehicle) is lower emissions, also slightly lower horsespower.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    There is a way to get full iPod integration on the 09 sonata. All it needs is a special cable. The cable uses both the USB and aux in jack. Costs about 75 USD and should work for those iPods with dock connectors. Doesn't work on the shuffle. You should be able to get this cable at the dealer.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    The Ody would have handled it just as well as it is based on the Accord and drives just as "sporty". I enjoy spirited driving in our Ody and have surprised many other drivers who try to hustle me - something I cannot do in any other minivan. The Ody handles very well and is well connected to the road.

If I had to centerpunched the sport sedan, I would prefer do it with the Ford conversion as I assumed that it has air bags in addition to seat belts. The Ford is truck based and would have a greater (dent) effect on the sedan a la demolition derby :-0)
    The Ody would have handled it just as well as it is based on the Accord and drives just as "sporty". I enjoy spirited driving in our Ody and have surprised many other drivers who try to hustle me - something I cannot do in any other minivan. The Ody handles very well and is well connected to the road. I enjoy driving my Sonata as well, but for a minivan the Ody is best for sporty handling.

If I had to centerpunch the sport sedan, I would prefer do it with the Ford conversion as I assumed that it has air bags in addition to seat belts. The Ford is truck based and would have a greater (dent) effect on the sedan a la demolition derby :-0)
    Thanks.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I was having my 2003 Sonata LX serviced yesterday at my local Hyundai Dealer and as I always do I walk the lot while waiting. They had about 8 new 2009 Sonata's in and I was blown away by how beautiful two of them were. Both were Limited V6 one Black with Black Leather interior and the other Willow Grey with Grey interior. What a massive improvement this year. I am now drooling with anticipation to replace my 2003 in a year, but can hardly wait. I avoided speaking to any sales people because I knew if they asked me if I wanted to test drive one that I'd be in trouble. I would have went straight home and thought up many reasons to tell my wife why I should buy myself a new vehicle this year. The 2003 seems so bland and boring to me now. I've also been considering the Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, and Mercury Milan, but based on looks alone I'd buy the Sonata tomorrow if I could convince my wife that I need a new car this year. I'm giving my current one to my youngest Son next spring just before his 17th birthday.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    By waiting a day you saved $500--rebates are up to $1500 on the 2009 Sonata in most locations, and there's still the $500 loyalty rebate, which you would qualify for :)

One oddity--I noticed in CA, there's $1500 off the I4s but only $1000 off the V6s. Apparently HMA thinks that in CA, power is more important than fuel economy. :surprise:
    For just about 2mpg(or even less due to car weight) penalty over the I4, I would spring for the V6, especially with more ponies (249hp) in 2009.

It is my personal preference - I just enjoy the spirited feeling and the more refined noise of the V6 compared to the I4. During my frequent business trips, I have rented I4 Sonatas and I can see and feel the driving difference in power and engine noise. Was always glad to get back home to my V6 LTD.
    Local Hyundai dealer is offering 2009 Sonatas at $5,000 off the MSRP. That's MSRP.... not the dealers mark-up price (with a couple of thousands of phony add ons) like some others advertise.

By July I expect it will be up to $6,000-6,500 off.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    That's good info and appears to be the lowest I've seen on a 2009. But....I really wish everyone when posting would give the actual location rather than just stating "local Hyundai dealer". It seems like it would be just as easy and is certainly within the criteria for the forum.
    I haven't seen anything here on rebates for the 2009. Where does it say anything about them and how much?
    Sorry backy. I saw just a short time ago that where they offeing the 1500. Thanks.
  • justntime2justntime2 Member Posts: 3
    O.K...so I read the manual about 4 times going over IPOD integration. It states you need "the power cable exclusive for an i-pod in order to operate the buttons on the audio system" Huh? Is it me or does this sound the least bit confusing to anyone else? Anyone have any idea where I can get this cable?
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    I am amazed that Hyundai on the west coast has not heard about the thunking problem until today when I called and gave the the whole story. I gave them the web site to check all the complaints about this problem, the fellow I spoke with was very interested since I told him my local dealer refused to do business with because of the my uncomplimentary e-mails regarding the "SERVICE MANAGER" who had told me (among other errors) that my Sonata did have an emergency release for the gas cap, and believe me other things that he should have known about the vehicle. Anyway he found quite interesting that a dealer has refused to do any work on my car. An investigation is under way into the Thunking and the dealer problem. I went so far as to tell him even his factory reps are denying that problem exists. SO hang tight everyone and I will let you know the outcome.
    Lmaxick@aol.com if you have any comments for me, good or bad.
    www.hyundaiusa.com, and click on the Special Offers link and when there plug in your state.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I just bought myself a 2009 Sonata GLS Auto with Preferred Package myself. It was 16.6k + TTL, which was by far the best deal in northern cali that I could find. That's only about $4.1k off msrp, but still pretty good imho.
    I used to own a 2003 Elantra and this is a massive upgrade in almost every area. Also not hearing any thunking like some people have mentioned in older models.

168hp PZEV Engine
    Steering Wheel Audio with Controls in Logical Places(I drove a rented 2008 Cobalt Sport and the audio controls were stupidly placed...mute was accidentally hit like 10 times)
    USB Audio!
    International Language Friendly CD/Mp3 Head Unit(It Displays Japanese characters. a first for any radio I've seen, including my friend's top of the line civic with nav)
    Having ESC/Traction
    Awesome and Sensible Interior
    Best Mpg in class(only a few mpg worse than a civic)
    Very enjoyable nighttime lighting
    Comfortable Seats

Dislikes:
    All involve upgrading to a better package, but not worth the price :)
    No Alloy
    No Fog Lights
    No Telescopic Steering Wheel

It's certainly possible I'll find more issues as I spend more time with it, but she's near perfect so far. I think the difference in cost between the 2008 and 2009 for me was about $1600, well worth the price. I can't imagine going to that old and moldy 2008 interior, let alone the weaker engine and 4 speed auto. Also the resale values will always be better on an improved model with a later year number.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Has someone seen it in action? What are some specific examples of things that can be done via speech recognition?
    Hi Whee!

Also a proud owner of a new GLS with preffered package. Any luck getting your USB audio working with an IPOD? What kind of cable are you using?

Thanks!
    Nope! I do have a small ipod, but I'm not going to bother with that. What I mean by usb audio is putting in an actual usb stick, 16gb to be exact. No need for any extra music. Supposedly you need a specific cable for ipod connections. My dealer said any proper ipod cable should work, but I don't think he knew much about it. I might try if I'm really bored.
  • mervay2mervay2 Member Posts: 20
    I have a ipod nano. The cable that came with it to charge it and connect via usb to a computer works just fine with my 2009 GLS. It detects the music folders and starts playing.
    Does anyone know if the mudflaps on the 2009 Sonata are identical to the 2008 version?
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    It's the USB cable that comes with your iPOD.
    According to the service dept. at my local dealership, no one in Hyundai has said officially, so one dealership tried and found they don't fit properly. My local guys said that, as of three weeks ago, they had few maintenance parts for the new '09 Sonatas, but could order replacement parts for accident repairs (cheery thought).

I guess parts and knowledge will trickle into the dealerships over the next few months.
    No. There is a special cable you need to buy from Hyundai if you want to be able to control the iPod with the stereo controls. It simultaneously plugs into both the USB and the AUX port.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?s=6c3eb36519487302ce7f5c6b5a02d454&act=A- ttach&type=post&id=7001
    Ya I had the same problem, asked a part's guy in a dealer and they said no information until probably next month. That's sad that it doesn't fit. :( I guess we'll just have to wait for the new accessories to come out first.
    I finally tested my ipod for fun and the standard ipod to usb cable worked perfectly for me. The only issue I've noticed is that I can't make the radio stay on displaying titles. It always goes back to filename display for ipod and mp3 cds. Does anyone know how to make it stay on song title?
  • lmaxicklmaxick Member Posts: 46
    I had called corporate here on the west coast to find out if they were aware of the thunking problem. I told them about this web site and gave them the address of it. Then I copied all the thunking articles published on this web site. After that I e-mailed corporate to advive them of our problerm, and had some choice words about my local dealer not wanting to do business with me because of the uncomplimentary e-mails I had sent them. When I called corporate I got a hold of what sounded like a young man, who listened intently to my story, gave me a case number etc and siad he will get on it ASAP, I sent him all the stuff I printed from the web site. This morning he gave me a call to let me know that in fact they are working on it,and as yet he did not receive my package and was looking forward to receiving.it. Now I don't know if this wll do us any good, but at least they are aprised of the problem and seem to be following through, just thought I'd bring you all up to date from this end of the country.
    So you are saying the "thunking" problem applies to the 2009 Sonata also? Or do you have an older Sonata?
    You need to get the iPod adaptor cable if you want it to work properly. You will have to get it at your dealer. Should cost around 25 to 50 USD. It should connect to both iPod and Aux in. You have to special order it though. You can use the USB but it won't give you 100 percent integration though.
    08620-2L000

Dealer price is 24 USD. Should be able to get it for less than 50 USD. Just show the dealer this part number and they should be able to get it for you. Maybe it's not a special order anymore. This is the cable that gives you full integration. Hope this helps.
    Some dealers are charging $75-$90 for this cable.
    Strange, I talked to hyundai customer service and they said that the 2008 version should work with 2009... Now I'm confused if I should believe that or not.
  • chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone noticed the automatic shifting (not using the auto-stick) from 1st to 2nd on the V6 seems a little rough at slower speeds? I'm wondering if I should check the trans fluid level. I read for the 2009, "the automatic transmission has a new reducing valve and solenoid valve for smoother shift quality while the manual transmission has been refined for more precise shifts" - so I was surprised it wasn't very smooth from 1st to 2nd gear.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    I have noticed this to0.....I have a 4 cylinder. I'm at about 700 miles and it seems a little better but I'm going to keep my eye on it.

I'm more concerned with my seat. The fabric is coming out at the bottom by the power seat module. It also seems that the cushion might be giving too much compared to the other seats. Guess I'll have to bring it in.
    I've seen it be a little bit rough sometimes, but usually it's pretty smooth. I've only driven a total of 300 miles though...not even up to my first fillup yet! I won't assume anything until I get past breakin and the automatic is used to my driving style. The most rough thing is going from gear 2 to 1 in shiftronic mode, but that's expected ;)
  • chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    That's what I figured too - I'll worry about it after the 1200 mile break in period. Seems to be getting better though over the past few days. I have about 450 miles on it now. I find it's the roughest when it shifts right around 18-20 mph when I'm accelerating slowly. Other than that it shifts pretty smooth everywhere else. Although, as I'm slowing down to a stop I sometimes feel it shake a little when down shifting automatically. Hopefully the transmission just needs to be broken in and then everything will be smooth. If not - hey, we have a great warranty to back it up, right?
  • focus530focus530 Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased 2009 V6 Limited without Bluetooth/Navigation. I did not care for Navigation, but I wanted Bluetooth; just could not find any in stock.

Is there any aftermarket Bluetooth option for 09 Sonata that would integrate with stock audio system? Dealer says they can install one for $600 ($399 for system + $200 install charges). For that kind of price, I can buy a Garmin GPS with Bluetooth. The only thing is that I cannot integrate it with stock audio system.