Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Wow, I actually hit 1k miles on my V6 Limited this morning on the way to work.

So far, so good in the two weeks I've had it. The only thing I notice is that the driver's seat is a little loose. There's no way I'm bringing it back to the dealer to look at it, though. I've owned enough cars to know better than to take something minor in for repair. It usually comes back with a few more issues, plus the original one. :)

I'm averaging a little better than 25 mpg in mixed driving. I'm saving a ton on gas. If it only had integrated Bluetooth, it would be perfect!
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    Yep, I'm loving this car. I'm so happy with it. I also really like the fact you can use the navigation system while the car is in motion. Not that I advocate the driver doing that, but least it's an option for the passenger. I hate these car companies who completely disable navigation functions as soon as the car is in motion. So annoying to have to pull over to enter an address. It's a little too "big brother" for me. Plus the voice recognition is really good too. I love being able to tell it what track I want to go to rather than having to cycle through the tracks to get to the desired track. Just one of the many conveniences of voice recognition. It's very accurate too; the few times I've had to use it, it's taken me right to my address perfectly.

What a car this 09 model is. I just don't know why anyone would purchase an Accord, Camry, Malibu, Fusion etc. with such a good value as the Sonata, especially the 09. Every time I get in my car I feel like I'm in a much more expensive car than $27,000. I hope the car lasts me for many trouble free years.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I think we just got our cars a little too early. Bluetooth integration will be there in 2010 or 2011 with this whole microsoft thing. Ah well, none for us until a new car....which isn't gonna happen for many years on my part hopefully.

I'm around 25mpg as well with a lot more city than highway. Hoping to get up to 26 or 27 this tank, but we'll see what happens. Only thing is I'm in the I4 rather than V6 like you guys.
  • bmwconvtbmwconvt Member Posts: 20
    if you go to automobilemag.com, they have a video review of the 09 sonata. they prefer the handling of the se over the limited, but limited has features that make it perhaps a challenging decision. i just picked up a limited v6 w/navi today - 2 year lease special. like it so far but need more time behind the wheel...
    saw maroon one yesterday at the dealer here in cincy, oh. nice looking - kinda cool seats... i got a black limited with navi and bluetooth... sales person, manager and f&i guy were all really nice folks. worked with me and no pressure at all.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I'd be interested in what you think of the bluetooth in your new Limited. I realize it does not interface with the radio or anything but I'd curious as to send sound quality and ease of use. Thanks.
    i'll have to let you know. i havent synched up blackberry yet - probably this weekend. one thing... and maybe other posters will advise - i'm not able to hook up my ipod using my ipod usb cord... do i need to buy a special one from Hyundai?

i also noticed that the mileage on the paperwork was 22 miles, but actual was 175 miles - i called the dealer and they are going to true it up... given its a lease - that matters!
    Thanks. Towards the bottom on page 7 of the Sonata audio thread they talk about a special $30 cable to hook up an IPod. They list the part number as well.
    "i'm not able to hook up my ipod using my ipod usb cord... do i need to buy a special one from Hyundai?"

Yes, the part number is: 08620-2L000 It's $29.95
    It works great, except you need to remember to turn your iPod off when you get out. Otherwise, you'll kill the iPod's battery.
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    Here's some exciting news about the new 2009 Sonata. Another in a series of quality awards bestowed on the Sonata!

09 Sonata Wins Best Interior Award
    Or connect the ipod to the car charger to avoid the issue altogether ;)

Hmm that almost tricked me. Unforunately it's not best interior period for the sonata. But best redesign is good too :) Looks like Sonata was barely beaten by the Malibu. Oh well, good non-japanese interiors for all in the mid-size world ;)
    Or connect the ipod to the car charger to avoid the issue altogether

That's impossible, because you use that same port to connect to the system. It charges while the car is running through the car's USB port, though.

I had an adapter in my last car that direct connected to the HU, and it turned the iPod off. It also remembered your settings, like "Random". (It did have several other quirks, though.) On the '09 Sonata, you have to reset that each start-up.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looks like Sonata was barely beaten by the Malibu

Can you explain that, please? The Wards award included all cars either new for 2008 or redesigned in 2008. That would include the Malibu.
    In the mid-cost class, Malibu was the #1 pick over the Sonata.
    You are looking at something I am not. Here is what the press release said:

The 2009 Hyundai Sonata was named an "Interior of the Year" award winner in the category of "Best Redesign" at the annual "Auto Interior of the Year Awards" conducted by Ward's AutoWorld magazine. ... Ward's editors served as judges for the competition, evaluating 36 vehicles in March and April. The pool consisted of completely new vehicles or existing models that received significant interior redesigns for '08.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=wardsauto.story&STORY=/www/sto- - ry/06-04-2008/0004826685&EDATE=WED+Jun+04+2008,+04:13+PM

Can you please provide a link to the statement that the Malibu was in fact the #1 pick for best interior design for a redesign, and not the Sonata? Because the press release from Ward's says otherwise. Thanks
    You're also reading my comments incorrectly. Sonata won the redesign award. Malibu won the popular priced car award..and specifically over the Sonata, which means Sonata was #2, still damn good. This is more of a real competition as it compares all cars in the same price tier.
    Here's a more useful report :p

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2008/interiors/
    Thanks for posting that. With their award for best Interior Design to the Suzuki SX4 Sport in the Economy category, I just lost all respect for this award. Unless the Suzuki were the only car nominated... or maybe it and the Corolla and Focus--not much happening in the Economy space in 2008. That's the problem with awards that look only at a narrow segment of the market. I've seen cases where there was only one nominee for such awards. Guess which car won then? :P

But I still don't understand how the Sonata can top the Malibu for best interior for redesigned cars, but lose to it for cars in the same price class--since Sonata and Malibu are in the same price class. :confuse:
    Redesign is a special one-time award that was probably created as a consolation for the Sonata for being a great interior. As stated, the Malibu is obviously the overall winner in the main category.
    The Ward's folks seemed to really dig that two-tone leather interior on the Malibu LTZ. Even though it's the same interior as on the 2007 Malibu, since the Malibu was not redesigned for 2008, according to Ward's. ;)
  • fountainpen108fountainpen108 Member Posts: 10
    Can this be an option in the Sonata?
    What about daytime running lights?
    Thinking of importing it into Canada
  • chrrmurpchrrmurp Member Posts: 24
    I wrote about this a while back when I had about 600 miles on the car and I see Moocow responded back again about it last week. I now have about 2,800 miles on my 09 V6 limited. I wanted to take another poll from you guys. Is anyone feeling like the transmission shifts kind of rough when you're accelerating rather moderately? It seems slightly better than it was around 600 miles. It's nice and smooth when speeding up fast, but on normal acceleration (like after a red light or something), it almost jerks between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. I notice it more when I'm speeding up moderately and slowly pull my foot up. It's like when I'm not accelerating into the shift, it jerks. It's really been bothering me and I'm considering taking it in or at least test driving another V6 to see if it's the same on all of them. I also notice when I'm slowing down while coming up to a stop light I can feel a slight jolt as the car down shifts from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1.

Am I crazy? I feel like I'm being really knit-picky and I hate that, but I really think it should be smooth!! I checked the trans fluid and it's fine. What do you all think?
    I wanted to share these two things with everyone. I have the 09 V6 Limited with Nav.

1. I was at a coffee shop drive-thru a few weeks ago and I didn't know it, but my front left tire was really close to the curb. I needed to get over to the left a little more so while I was waiting for the guy in front of me, I just lightly (it really was lightly) moved the wheel to the left. The steering wheel shook back and forth and the car completely died out. It was the strangest thing. So I sat there thinking ok, I bought this car so this wouldn't happen and left it off for about 30 seconds so maybe the person behind me would think I was just trying to conserve gas. I started it back up and it was fine and that hasn't happened since. But I thought that was really strange that just from the wheel not being able to turn, the power steering could make the car die out. Thankfully the rim is not scratched!

2. My navigation has rebooted in the middle of a trips three times so far. I'll be driving along with my destination set and then I'll look down and the screen is locked up. Then about a minute later it just reboots itself, the Hyundai logo comes up on the screen like I've just started the car, and then it resumes my current route. Really strange.

Everything else has been great and I have no regrets buying this car. Any comments are always appreciated!
    Hey man, sounds like you got a bum car. I have had no problems with the shifting being rough at any time. My car has never stalled out and died. The navigation has never rebooted itself. Those issues would bother me in a brand new car. That's the only benefit of buying a new car.

I would schedule an appointment with the dealership and see if maybe there is a software update for the navigation system. I would also have them look at your transmission and power steering system, as those things are just not normal.
    I'd also mention, since stuff like rough shifting are hard for a service guy to diagnose, try taking them for a ride to understand it. I originally had a squeaking noise from my door on my Elantra that showed up when going only at 60+ mph and they were able to fix it properly after hearing it in person.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You state you were close to the curb with your left front tire anyhow and when you turned the wheel left to get closer still the tire contacted the curb. I'm guessing the inability for the tire to turn further left due to the contact with the curb set up some type of feedback in the power steering system causing the engine to slow even though the engine management system compensates for additional engine loads at idle or slow speeds (by speeding up idle) and the engine stalled due to low idle speed.
    Yep - that's exactly what I thought. The steering took too much engine power at the low idle speed, which caused it to die out. But I would think it would've increased the idle, similar to how it does if you have the air conditioner running at a stop.
    Yeah I think I'll do that (take it in). I'm getting close to oil change time anyways, so I'll bring the issues up. I agree - taking the person for a drive would be a good idea. Thanks
    It's funny, I've found one minor build quality issue with my Sonata, it's actually similar to what I heard in my old car too. Basically the passenger seat does a little rattling when empty and going over moderate to heavy bumps. Makes me wonder how many cars are like that, since I've seen it happen in quite a few.
  • cmw829cmw829 Member Posts: 19
    I have an 08 SE with 3500 miles on it. I've noticed rough shifing from 1st to 2nd, which started about 500 miles ago. 2nd to 3rd is fine. Prior to this, we would comment on how smooth the shifting was. I've also noticed during the first shift from 1st to 2nd after the car has been stopped overnight or for a number of hours, I get the sense of something shifting or moving under the gas pedal.

Anyone experience this as well?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Read up on the anti-lock brake test and see if that might be what you're feeling.
    I started using the bluetooth this past week. I think it works great for regular calls. Voice recognition is good. I haven't programmed in any names yet. I started to, but the directions are a bit weak, either that or the 2 beers I had that evening had some influence on my comprehension ability. The car has been great so far. I took it on a longer trip yesterday and it was smooth, and quick to respond when passing other cars, etc.

One thing I'd like to see is a driver's seat position memory function.
    "I have an 08 SE"

I thought this was a discussion for the 09 Sonata.
    Thanks for the follow up. Is this the bluetooth unit that is put into the ceiling in place of the sunglass holder or is yours built into the NAV unit? The one I was thinking of is like a $325 option that is not factory installed but dealer/port added. If it's in the NAV, I didn't even know that was available.
    No there is no Nav bluetooth, I think we've gone over this a million times. It's sunglass holder or nothing for now.

I took my Sonata on a fun little drive over a windy hill for 20 miles each way there and back. I felt it handled pretty decently and certainly held taking pretty hard curves at 60 well. Definitely better than my old car, which had plenty of understeer issues. I'm definitely liking the dynamics so far, she feels so solid and smooth.
    It replaces the sunglasses holder and is a dealer add.
  • jm1996jm1996 Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 09 sonota (with sunroof) for two months. As the summer heat starts, I've noticed a sometimes very bad b.o. smell...especially when the sunroof opens. I feel like I'm living a Seinfeld episode. Has anyone had this issue?
  • jm1996jm1996 Member Posts: 10
    Try reclining the passenger seat one position back. I had the same annoyance early on and haven't noticed it since the reposition.
    No there is no Nav bluetooth, I think we've gone over this a million times. It's sunglass holder or nothing for now.

That's what I thought but just making sure I didn't miss something. I guess if we've covered it a "million times" my short term memory must be really shot! ;)
    "It replaces the sunglasses holder and is a dealer add."

This really stinks, as I use my sunglass holder all the time. I either have sunglasses in there or my regular glasses which I need to use for night time driving. Thus the dealer bluetooth add on wouldn't work for me. I wish they could have figured out a way of incorporating this without forcing the owner to do without the sunglass holder. Seems like a real after thought by Hyundai. I'm sure the 2010 model will have proper bluetooth integration and I'm surprised Hyundai didn't include that for the 09.
  • mervay2mervay2 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 09 Sonata GLS. Just was wondering if anyone else noticed this. When you unlock the car via the remote, If you do not open a door within a minute or so the car locks itself back up. I think this is neat.
    Yep - if you don't open the trunk or a door within 30 seconds of unlocking it with the remote, it re-locks and re-arms the car for ya
    It is too bad, but it does work really well. It allows you to manage navi and xm all through voice, I gotta think that they will get it fully integrated in next redesign. I'm sure they figured it out for the Genesis... My son and I are driving from Cincy to Chicago today - I'm going to see if it can pick a nice Italian restaurant for us (too bad it can't make reservations and pick a nice Chianti too).
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    With the sunroof open??? are you by chance driving past a pig or dairy farm at the time? It is, most likely some outside odor invading the interior via the open sunroof.
    "It is too bad, but it does work really well. It allows you to manage navi and xm all through voice"

That has nothing to do with your Bluetooth adapter.
    Yes, as another poster said the navigation system has nothing to do with the bluetooth dealer add-on. I have the navigation system in my 09 Limited and I love it. Seems to respond to my voice commands pretty well. It did however have difficulty with an address, specifically the street name it couldn't get right. Finally I got frustrated and just punched it in. Fortunately the navigation is super easy to use and thankfully you can use it while the car is moving, a huge plus. It calculates routes super fast and has been very accurate the couple of times I've used it. Definitely worth the $1,250 for someone like myself who could get lost driving around the block. :)

I imagine in the 2010 model Hyundai will probably get proper bluetooth integration from the factory with no dealer add-on necessary. However that's not a big deal to me, as I hardly ever use my cell phone in my car, and it's not bluetooth enabled. Would it have been nice to have it from the factory, sure. But I'm not going to do the dealer add and give up my sunglass holder for it.
  • peridocperidoc Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2009 Sonata Limited with Navigation and I was thumbing through my Navigation setup screens and noticed a button that said "Map Upgrade". When I pressed it the system appeared to be expecting a update on a disc. I have a few questions related to this:

1. How do you get map updates or know when they are needed (obviously since these units are new they won't need them for a while)
    2. Will updates cost money or will they periodically be sent to me? Will I be notified when they are available?
    3. Who provides the actual map data for the Hyundai units? Will updates come from the data provider or Hyundai itself?

The button being there just got my curiosity peaked.

Thanks!
  • gasmizrgasmizr Member Posts: 40
    I am looking at purchasing a new GLS. The one the dealer showed me did not have the Option 2 package.. It was just the basic GLS. Seems like the leg room is short on the GLS with the non power seat. My question is does the power seat give more leg room? The regular seat has less leg room then my civic. This seems strange since the car lists out 43"+ leg room. I sat in an Altima and it has way more leg room but is only listed at 42"+. The Sonata supposedly has 1.5" more. Thoughts?
    Yes, I asked for a power seat but they did not have one available at the time and I do not want to waste my time going back to the dealer if the power seat is no better. I am tall and this is a deal breaker for me. Headroom was fine and the new seat has much better thigh support. I really like the car but the leg room is killing me. :cry:
    Lots of legroom in back, wish they would just let the driver be comfortable. :-) Also, what is up with no telescope on the GLS?
    It's doubtful you'll know when map/firmware updates are released unless you check with the dealership. I'm positive the updates will cost money. Every time there is a new map edition (usually every year) it's going to cost, and the range can be from a $100 to even as much as $180. No need to buy a new map update however unless you're constantly typing in newer addresses the system doesn't recognize.

What I'm telling you is based on experiences with friends/family who have OEM nav systems. My buddy has one is his Mazda 3 and the new map discs are like $180, so he hasn't bought a new one in several years (he has a 2006 model). You can pretty much count on not getting any updates except for firmware updates for free. For the firmware updates, you'll be able to get that done at the dealership I'm sure. Every six months or so when you take your car in for service it might be good to ask your service advisor if there have been any nav updates released recently.

Lastly the map updates will come from the provider, and the provider is Hyundai. There is there own unit, they built it, it's not like you bought an Alpine system and they slapped their name on it. This is their tech, so the updates will come from them.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Map Database is made by Navteq.
    Ya the lack of telescopic is one of the few minuses of not getting a SE or Limited. Ah well, at least we get way more standard features than most other cars including the kia platform mate. And yes the power seat certainly allows plenty of legroom, not that I personally need it, I actually moved my seat forward.