Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2009-2010 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• bmwconvtbmwconvt Posts: 20
    I started using the bluetooth this past week. I think it works great for regular calls. Voice recognition is good. I haven't programmed in any names yet. I started to, but the directions are a bit weak, either that or the 2 beers I had that evening had some influence on my comprehension ability. The car has been great so far. I took it on a longer trip yesterday and it was smooth, and quick to respond when passing other cars, etc.

One thing I'd like to see is a driver's seat position memory function.
  • dgs4dgs4 Posts: 66
    "I have an 08 SE"

I thought this was a discussion for the 09 Sonata.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,181
    Thanks for the follow up. Is this the bluetooth unit that is put into the ceiling in place of the sunglass holder or is yours built into the NAV unit? The one I was thinking of is like a $325 option that is not factory installed but dealer/port added. If it's in the NAV, I didn't even know that was available.
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    No there is no Nav bluetooth, I think we've gone over this a million times. It's sunglass holder or nothing for now.

I took my Sonata on a fun little drive over a windy hill for 20 miles each way there and back. I felt it handled pretty decently and certainly held taking pretty hard curves at 60 well. Definitely better than my old car, which had plenty of understeer issues. I'm definitely liking the dynamics so far, she feels so solid and smooth.
    It replaces the sunglasses holder and is a dealer add.
  • jm1996jm1996 Posts: 10
    I've had my 09 sonota (with sunroof) for two months. As the summer heat starts, I've noticed a sometimes very bad b.o. smell...especially when the sunroof opens. I feel like I'm living a Seinfeld episode. Has anyone had this issue?
  • jm1996jm1996 Posts: 10
    Try reclining the passenger seat one position back. I had the same annoyance early on and haven't noticed it since the reposition.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,181
    No there is no Nav bluetooth, I think we've gone over this a million times. It's sunglass holder or nothing for now.

That's what I thought but just making sure I didn't miss something. I guess if we've covered it a "million times" my short term memory must be really shot! ;)
    "It replaces the sunglasses holder and is a dealer add."

This really stinks, as I use my sunglass holder all the time. I either have sunglasses in there or my regular glasses which I need to use for night time driving. Thus the dealer bluetooth add on wouldn't work for me. I wish they could have figured out a way of incorporating this without forcing the owner to do without the sunglass holder. Seems like a real after thought by Hyundai. I'm sure the 2010 model will have proper bluetooth integration and I'm surprised Hyundai didn't include that for the 09.
  • mervay2mervay2 Posts: 20
    I have a 09 Sonata GLS. Just was wondering if anyone else noticed this. When you unlock the car via the remote, If you do not open a door within a minute or so the car locks itself back up. I think this is neat.
  • chrrmurpchrrmurp Posts: 24
    Yep - if you don't open the trunk or a door within 30 seconds of unlocking it with the remote, it re-locks and re-arms the car for ya
    It is too bad, but it does work really well. It allows you to manage navi and xm all through voice, I gotta think that they will get it fully integrated in next redesign. I'm sure they figured it out for the Genesis... My son and I are driving from Cincy to Chicago today - I'm going to see if it can pick a nice Italian restaurant for us (too bad it can't make reservations and pick a nice Chianti too).
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    With the sunroof open??? are you by chance driving past a pig or dairy farm at the time? It is, most likely some outside odor invading the interior via the open sunroof.
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    "It is too bad, but it does work really well. It allows you to manage navi and xm all through voice"

That has nothing to do with your Bluetooth adapter.
    Yes, as another poster said the navigation system has nothing to do with the bluetooth dealer add-on. I have the navigation system in my 09 Limited and I love it. Seems to respond to my voice commands pretty well. It did however have difficulty with an address, specifically the street name it couldn't get right. Finally I got frustrated and just punched it in. Fortunately the navigation is super easy to use and thankfully you can use it while the car is moving, a huge plus. It calculates routes super fast and has been very accurate the couple of times I've used it. Definitely worth the $1,250 for someone like myself who could get lost driving around the block. :)

I imagine in the 2010 model Hyundai will probably get proper bluetooth integration from the factory with no dealer add-on necessary. However that's not a big deal to me, as I hardly ever use my cell phone in my car, and it's not bluetooth enabled. Would it have been nice to have it from the factory, sure. But I'm not going to do the dealer add and give up my sunglass holder for it.
  • peridocperidoc Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2009 Sonata Limited with Navigation and I was thumbing through my Navigation setup screens and noticed a button that said "Map Upgrade". When I pressed it the system appeared to be expecting a update on a disc. I have a few questions related to this:

1. How do you get map updates or know when they are needed (obviously since these units are new they won't need them for a while)
    2. Will updates cost money or will they periodically be sent to me? Will I be notified when they are available?
    3. Who provides the actual map data for the Hyundai units? Will updates come from the data provider or Hyundai itself?

The button being there just got my curiosity peaked.

Thanks!
  • gasmizrgasmizr Posts: 40
    I am looking at purchasing a new GLS. The one the dealer showed me did not have the Option 2 package.. It was just the basic GLS. Seems like the leg room is short on the GLS with the non power seat. My question is does the power seat give more leg room? The regular seat has less leg room then my civic. This seems strange since the car lists out 43"+ leg room. I sat in an Altima and it has way more leg room but is only listed at 42"+. The Sonata supposedly has 1.5" more. Thoughts?
    Yes, I asked for a power seat but they did not have one available at the time and I do not want to waste my time going back to the dealer if the power seat is no better. I am tall and this is a deal breaker for me. Headroom was fine and the new seat has much better thigh support. I really like the car but the leg room is killing me. :cry:
    Lots of legroom in back, wish they would just let the driver be comfortable. :-) Also, what is up with no telescope on the GLS?
    It's doubtful you'll know when map/firmware updates are released unless you check with the dealership. I'm positive the updates will cost money. Every time there is a new map edition (usually every year) it's going to cost, and the range can be from a $100 to even as much as $180. No need to buy a new map update however unless you're constantly typing in newer addresses the system doesn't recognize.

What I'm telling you is based on experiences with friends/family who have OEM nav systems. My buddy has one is his Mazda 3 and the new map discs are like $180, so he hasn't bought a new one in several years (he has a 2006 model). You can pretty much count on not getting any updates except for firmware updates for free. For the firmware updates, you'll be able to get that done at the dealership I'm sure. Every six months or so when you take your car in for service it might be good to ask your service advisor if there have been any nav updates released recently.

Lastly the map updates will come from the provider, and the provider is Hyundai. There is there own unit, they built it, it's not like you bought an Alpine system and they slapped their name on it. This is their tech, so the updates will come from them.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,076
    Map Database is made by Navteq.
    Ya the lack of telescopic is one of the few minuses of not getting a SE or Limited. Ah well, at least we get way more standard features than most other cars including the kia platform mate. And yes the power seat certainly allows plenty of legroom, not that I personally need it, I actually moved my seat forward.
  • gasmizrgasmizr Posts: 40
    Thanks, I will now go back to the dealer and try again. I really want a SE with the I4 but with an automatic. The SE is worth the upgrade price from the GLS for the nice extras. I am not in a hurry so a wondering if they may add an auto in the fall to the SE.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    It appears they will. Motor Trend just published a 10-car comparo including the 2009 Sonata SE I4 with automatic. (And it did very well!) :)
  • ebrent1ebrent1 Posts: 2
    I just purchased an 09 sonata GLS 2 weeks ago and I was wondering, where do you mount the front license plate?
    I have mine in the trunk. I hate the look with it on.

If you're worried about being pulled over, it screws in directly to the front bumper.
  • ebrent1ebrent1 Posts: 2
    where does it screw on at... I looked at the bumber and couldn't find any screw holes or anything :(
    You make your own. Just the top two, though.
    Ya I was a little weirded out about that too. Usually the dealer already makes the screwholes, but since they haven't you'll just have to screw them in yourself. I kinda wish there was a front plate holder, but perhaps this is better for those who don't use front plates at all(when it's legal)
    Certainly possible in the future. Hyundai has snuck in random things before such as 3.3L Azeras in a model year that officially had none.
    However if you're buying now, I highly recommend the Option 2 package gls. It has most of the important features and just a few SE things missing.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    If your Sonata is anything like my 05 Tucson and my wife's 04 Sonata, there should be at least 2 "dimples" on the front bumper in the location where you would mount your plate or holder. Use those. I mounted plates on both of ours and it was just a matter of getting the screws started in those dimples and tightening them down. ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,934
    Hmmm... IMO the SE includes quite a few features not available on the Sonata GLS I4, including:

* 17" five-spoke alloys with performance tires
    * sport-tuned suspension and steering
    * telescopic steering wheel
    * special dash trim
    * fog lamps (those are available on the GLS V6 maybe??)
    * leather seat trim (actually a cloth/leather combo unique to the SE)
    * leather wheel/shifter (those are on the GLS V6 I think)
    * rear spoiler (I suppose it could be added on to the GLS, but it's not in Package 2)

I am probably forgetting some features, but there's a pretty big difference between the SE and the GLS with Package 2.