Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Car-what is high mileage

wattaguywattaguy Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
My wife and I looked at Toyota Sienna's tonight. The dealer we were at had a "take back" with 600 miles. That seems awfully high, and the fact that it was sold previously leads me to ask-

What s considered used vs new, and is a take back still eligible to be sold as new? I was offered like $800 off, but that seems low for the number of miles on the car.

Comments

• mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    It depends where the $800 was discounted from. MSRP ( list price ), not a good deal. I don't think 600 miles is really that big of a deal. Typical break-in for most cars is 1,200 miles....
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    I think a vehicle is USED if it has more than 15 miles since my Sienna had only 7 miles on it when it was purchased new. I saw a NEW 2008 GC SXT and a NEW 2008 T&C Touring and each had only 4 miles on the odometer.

A vehicle is USED if it has been licensed....even if it has only 20 miles.

Some dealers claim the vehicle is not used if it has been used as a demonstrator using dealer plates but has never been officially licensed by the state and most factory warranties are good for the 36 months from the date of registration to the first buyer. :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I would avoid that van at all costs.

If it was returned very likely something was wrong with that particular model.

There is a small chance it was just a serious case of buyer's remorse, but 79% of Sienna owners would buy it again, so let's call that a 21% chance.

79% chance something was wrong.

Run, don't walk, away from that van.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    AGREE 100 % WITH ateixeira ( we normally agree only 99 % of the time). :shades:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Run away!
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    $800 is not much. I would ask for $3000... but before that... find the original owner and talk to him... and if you're satisfied... then whatever dealer tells you put that in writing and have them sign it... otherwise...

RUN
This discussion has been closed.