Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE

Comments

• vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    Congratulations on the new Vue. I love the green color, but it wasn't available last year. Sounds like you must be in the cold zone this week like we are. I hate this cold, it makes me want to hibernate.
  • kozlokozlo Member Posts: 2
    I should also mention that the fluid seems to be traveling to the rear sprayer OK. The rear one, however, doesn't seem to spray and the fluid just dribbles out. The fronts are the real problem. I'm going to try to replace the fluid with the
    -20 degree stuff and seeif that helps. I have found a few messages on this board that have talked about defective sprayers. Anyone have any more thoughts on that?
  • jchamborsjchambors Member Posts: 4
    The day after I picked up my AWD4, we had a snowstorm. My front washers failed on the freeway during the drive home from work. What a mess. I took the car in to the dealer the next morning and all they did was pour hot water on the nozzles to thaw them. Today when I used the washers, the fluid froze on contact with the windshield with the outdoor temperature about 18 degrees F. I can't believe I didn't insist they change the fluid the first time it happened. I will now!
  • garrettda2garrettda2 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone live in a state that has front license plates?? I live in Florida and normally we don't have front plates but I have a DV (Disabled Veteran) tag and there is a front license plate that I am supposed to display. The car didn't come with a holder. There are two dimples in the bumper but they don't match up with the holes in the tag. Any suggestions??
  • gehegehe Member Posts: 78
    (raine4llh)
    -Congrats on Sunkist. The best color.
    -So now I know that there is at least one other crazy in the world that names their car.
    -I wonder when Sunkist will be reduced to Sunny then Sun ? Mine started as the Late Miss Vivienne Vue, then Miss Vivienne, then Miz Viv and now Vivie ! Even my friends never forget to ask how " Vivie " is doing.
    -A business colleague went even further and, along with re negotiating a frequent stay discount at the Park Ave hotel where we stay for NYC business meetings, but also requested a discount for Vivie's valet parking. Now that's the Royal treatment !
    (garrettda2)
    -Yup. I have front plates as required in Jersey. My Saturn Sales Gal put them on once when visiting so I guess it was no big deal. They certainly get thru the auto car wash okay.

re:- Creeks and groans ..
    -Back in the ice storms of 1994, when I was taking delivery of my Tracker, temps were down to extremes as they are now. I remember that every vehicle developed odd creeks and groans that went as soon as temps rose. I don't think it's unusual. I would feel the same if I sat outside in these temps.
    -Come to think of it. I see a pattern here. Every time I buy a new car the temps plummet ! eerrhhh ???
    -I still get the same jingle, jangle when I back out at first start up. The dealership were unfussed by it and so am I really. I think it's probably about having the hand brake on, AWD stuff etc. If it goes wrong ... that's when I'll worry and take it to the folks that will take care of it. Otherwise, it's not worth the worry.
    re:- Local Mechie ...
    -I took Viv for an oil change at my local two brothers service place. I teased the one brother about how much he had lost in the bet ... the bet where he said they would never see my business once I bought a Saturn ! We had a good chuckle.
    -The GM brother, had a great time fussing over Viv. He dug around every nook and cranny to see where they had put everything. He liked it. Never a bad thing to work on a car from scratch and take care of it.
    Later ....
    Gerald, Is the front lice plate in a bracket? I assume Saturn provided it? By the way I am also one crazy enough to name my VUE. It is bright blue so I named it Smurf. Wife's car is Sport (96 Dodge Cravan with sport package). Thanks for the info.
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    Hey guys. I'm considering trading my SL2 for either a VUE or a CR-V. I'm pretty well educated on all the differences and pros/cons of each. I was wondering if any of you considered the CR-V when you bought your VUE and if you are happy with your decision? I'm very happy with my SL2 (my 2nd Saturn) and my local dealer. My biggest concern with the VUE is the fact that they don't fly off the dealer lots and Saturns are not well known for holding value over time anyway. Thanks!
    I am not sure how far back you have read in this series but a while back I posted about taking my VUE back under the 30-day/1500 mile money back guarantee. After I did that I went out and drove several cars including the CR-V. The bottom line was I couldn't find another vehicle that was any quieter, better equipped, or rode better than the VUE. I went back that evening and asked the dealer to tear up the return paper work. I had some concerns also because you don't seem to see a lot of them but I am definitely happy with my choice. I specifically thought the CR-V was underpowered and felt the 4-cylinder engine was noisy. I also felt the CR-V had too much road noise to be acceptable. I have always thought that Saturns in general held their resale value pretty well. This is my second Saturn and when I traded the first one in I got a a pretty good price for it. Good luck in your decision.
  • mmspealmmspeal Member Posts: 122
    In Canada, we have to have a front plate so my VUE came with the adapter for the front bumper. It screws into those holes and then the plate itself into it.

Saturn does have it listed on their accessories list so I'd just go back to the dealer and tell then you need it. I can't imagine them charging you extra for it in your circumstance.
    Michael, thanks fo rthe info. I will do that. Happy trails. David
    No, I did not read all 2200 posts. Quickly, why did you decide to return you VUE originally? I am on my 2nd Saturn now (SL2), and resale is not impressing me. Then again, the used market may be a little soft and nobody may be doing well. Thanks for the input, though.
    Clay, Originally I decided to return the VUE because I thought it had a lot of wind noise. After driving quite a few other vehicles in the same class (mini SUVs) I decided it wasn't as noisy as some of the others. The others I drove were just as noisy or worse and many didn’t have the features I like about the VUE. By the way the return policy is as advertised. No hassle - just gave me my money back. He sure was glad when I wanted it back though. Happy trails. David
  • cmac46cmac46 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Vue fully loaded(love it). The one thing I found strange is the luggage rack is directly over my Sun Roof. I went back to the dealership and looked at another VUE on the floor and it was the same. Does anyone else have this same setup? I have never seen a luggage rack or the first one over a sunroof
  • simonovsimonov Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2002 with sun roof and I had the dealer install the cross bars for the luggage rack. There are 7 positions as I can see to install them. Without my asking or requesting mine were installed in the third and sixth position with the third being directly behind the sun roof. This position works fine for skiis and snow boards. Have them change it, who wants to open a sunroof and see a luggage rack.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Both vehicles are good and recommended by CR (not that I think they are any grand authority on SUVs). Resale may be a bit less but the longer you own it the less difference it will be. Honda resale is the best in the business so you could compare anything to them and it would be less. If you are financing you will likely get a better deal on a VUE. I don't think they are offering any cash incentives on the VUE right now.
    I bought the crossbars and installed them on my own. In the instructions, they suggest the 2nd and 5th position but having a sunroof, I thought it would be pretty silly to install over the sunroof. The one in their showroom also had them over the sunroof. I've installed mine in the 3rd and 6th position and it looks fine. (I actually tried to move the back one to the 7th position but you can't do it - the bolt will not go down far enough)

Anyway, the dealership should have given you a special screw driver with a hollow tip that comes with the cross bars. Using this, you can easily move them wherever you want in about 10 minutes. You can also remove them for a long trip when you are not using them, to save on gas mileage.
  • dbwordgirldbwordgirl Member Posts: 18
    vuefor2, I got a cheap 19" TV, returned it for a CHEAPER 13" TV, then returned that. Soooo decisive!
    Anyway, the service dept. told me there is supposed to be some kind of speed regulator that keeps the Vue from going very fast in reverse? Has anyone heard of this? I certainly have not. And I have to say, it was a bit disturbing how much gas I was giving it .... I'd give it gas, it would go ROAARR, it would lurch a tiny bit backward, then I'd have to stomp it again.

The service ticket said the lack of power could not be duplicated ... but then there's a repair code (1 Transaxle NPF, OPCODE K995) and a "charge" of $0. Is this a diagnostic thing? Or did they actually do something?

Interesting reading all the posts about Vues in the snow ... we had a snowstorm here .... kinda ... we had temps. in the low 20s Friday and some coastal Florida communities actually got a few flakes! The northerners get a real giggle out of Floridians all bundled up like Eskimos, but I have to say my Vue's heater is outstanding.
  • gehegehe Member Posts: 78
    (garrettda2) Smurf, huh. Cute.
    -Yes. It's a bracket and well explained by mmspeal.
    (uga91) CR-V ...
    -Yes. I considered Japanese first and was not in the market for a Saturn. But, I think the new CR-V is simply a bread box on 4 wheels and the RAV-4 just as over styled.
    -I came back from New York City yesterday, a 3 hour drive, and was so grateful to have the VUE to cruise in, especially the V6.
    -I still think the VUE is very cool looking. It's roomy, it's comfortable and it handles well. If you read past Posts and researched the Saturnfans.com articles, you will see that the VUE is selling very well and exceeding each months forecasts. I was glad to see more of them on the road now, but also a little sad as they will soon be common.
    -My dealership had only one on the lot last time I drove by.
    -The resale market is devastated by the 0.0% financing so this is a dismal resale time. I agree with the other folks comments above.
    (mac46) Sunroof ...
    -Mine was installed over the Sunroof so I took that tool and moved it back one position. I like it like that.

....I'm off to the UK and Italy. Happy motoring until I return. It will be fun seeing all those funny, strange European cars for a change.
    Later ...
    Get a 32", you will never need anything bigger and TV is much more enjoyable. Beauty is, it will fit in the VUE !
  • markopolomarkopolo Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone had a gas smell with their four cylinder. I have been parking my Vue in the garage and have been getting an odor. No the smell is not from the inside of the vehicle. The smell is only there when the truck is in the garage. So far the new windshield sprayers are still working.
    FYI to those who responded to previous posts – same subject. I checked at the dealer and they said since the cars are shipped to Florida without front license plate holders, they would have to order one and charge me about $30. Not a big sum of money but it seems like that is part of the car, especially when I need it to display a Disabled Veteran tag, and should be provided with the car. I e-mailed Saturn the other day. No response yet but I will post what response (if any) I get from them. Thanks for the input and comments.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    For most of last year VUE sightings in the DC suburb of Arlington, VA, have been minimal at best. But now...........I see them on a daily basis as I commute from home to work and back.

Every morning as I wait for my bus I see one in Orange and one in Silver occasionally I'll see one in Green and White as well. Then In the afternoons I always see an Organ and Silver and of course I have seen many others outside of my work commute.

Sales of the VUE have definitely picked up in my area.

Good for Saturn :-)
  • dwabiddwabid Member Posts: 36
    I have a 2003 VUE with the sunroof. Seeing that I reside in Wisconsin I really have no need to open it until maybe mid July ;-) . One thing I noticed is that it does not fully retract into the roof. I know on the showroom model it did but I believe that might have been a 2002 model.

I actually looked it up in the manual and apparently you should be able to have it retract fully if you pull the switch back after it completes the express open. Anyone else experience this?

By the by we FINALLY received some significant ice and snow last night. AWD keeps the VUE on its footing. Great stuff! Just got to remember it don't stop any better than a car...
    If I open my sun roof manually (don't use the auto retract) it will go back all the way - the noise it creates when back all the way will make you think there is a helicopter in the back though. If I use the auto-retract, it doesn't go back all the way but is a lot quieter inside.
    We were one of the first in our area to get a Vue. You see lots of them now. They are quite popular. I heard Saturn sold more than expected in 02 and sales should continue to be good as it's a very nice little SUV for the money.
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    "it's a very nice little SUV for the money."

Not so little, compared to the Kia Sportage and Suzuki Vitara... But a great value just the same.. I may be getting the VUE special edition soon for $ 17,495 with air/ cd/ keyless entry/ alloys/etc.... Can't wait
    Here is my e-mail to Saturn:
    I recently purchased a 2003 VUE. I happen to live in the state of Florida, which does not have front license plates. However, I am a Disabled Veteran (DV) and my DV license plates include a front plate. I checked with the dealer and he said since the cars are shipped to Florida without front license plate brackets he does not stock them and would have to charge me around $30 to order one. I realize it doesn't seem like a large sum of money but to me it seems like the bracket is something that should come with the car when it is need such as living in state that has front license plates or in my case to display a DV tag. Can you assist me in getting this bracket?

Here is Saturn's Response:
    All Saturn vehicles are shipped from the factory without front license plate brackets. These brackets are added to the vehicles at the Saturn retail facilities that are located in states that have the front license plate requirements. These retailers pass the fee of the bracket on to the buyer at the time the car is prepped for delivery.

Have you spoken with the sales manager at your Saturn retail facility about the bracket? Do you still go to Saturn of Tampa?

I hope that you have been enjoying your new VUE. Please feel welcome to
    e-mail us again or you may call us at 1-800-553-6000, prompt 3.

Take care,

Anne Cerasoli
    Saturn Customer Assistance Center

I answered her but so far have not heard back. Am I wrong in thinking I should be provided the bracket?? Any thoughts???
    They do not charge for plate brackets in areas where they are mandatory, but I can understand them charging a little if you are in a state where it's not required. Have you asked you dealer if they will just do it as a courtesy?
    Kanti,
    Yes that was my first choice. They said $30. I am about to call Saturn. Thanks for the post.
  • forgiven490forgiven490 Member Posts: 1
    I'm saving to buy a vehicle at the end of this year, and the Vue is in the top four. Do you think there will be some on the market to buy used by 2004?

I'm also researching the Honda Element, Toyota Matrix, Hyundai Santa Fe
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    I personally have seen a few used VUE's on www.ebaymotors.com and one or two on www.autotrader.com Make sure to check your nearest Saturn retailer for "special edition" VUE's which are common every 6 months it seems.

At my local retailer, special edition VUE's are/will be available for $ 17,495.00 with air/cd/alloys/keyless entry and it also qualifies for special financing rates...
    After several e-mails and a call to Saturn Customer Service, I finally have my front license plate bracket. I think the Saturn Customer Service representative suggested to the dealer that it should be provided. Seems like a lot of hassle just to get the rest of the car but at lease I have it and can display the DV tag correctly. Thanks for the comments.
    Aggravating a customer over a $5 piece of plastic is hardly good business. Glad to hear you got it ok.
    A supercharged 240hp Vue is coming in September!!

http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Future/superchargedvue.shtml
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Yeah, I know the VUE quite well. I have been following it since it was first announced. I have been without a vehicle since 00 when my little Tracker was totaled by a "Redlight Running Non-Seatbelt Wearing Maniac".

I don't currently have a need for a car but still want one, so I have been slowly taking my time tryign to figure out what I want. First it was the Pontiac Vibe, then I decided on a VUE both of which I waited over a year to go on sale.

I went to see the VUE at the Washington Int'l Auto Show and was determined to get one, but then heard that Chevy would be offering a version of the VUE.

So, just as with the Vibe and VUE, I'm now waiting for the Equinox. But this time I'm sure I'm gonna buy, I'm just tired of all this waiting.
    It looks like we will not be buying until late 2004 (when our other car is paid off), so I will wait and see what the Equinox looks like. I still like the VUE a lot so a lot will depend on pricing, features and dealers. I also understand the VUE will get a slight refresh in the fall.
  • oarloxoarlox Member Posts: 45
    After over a year on road, what are some of your opinions on the AWD system used in the VUE. I would like to hear from someone that has real life experience spinning there tires on the ice and snow or better yet MUD. Also how do you feel about the AWD system engaging in an emergency slip/slide situation. I will express my opinions after I've heard some of yours.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Does Saturn still have the one price, no hassle pricing? I kinda like the VUE, but I love to negotiate for best price.
    Henry, from my experience in buying Saturn's and from what I have heard from friends you can negotiate on your trade in; the dealer added options like pin stripping, window tinting, etc; and the dealer preparation charges. I personally bought two Saturns and haven’t paid for the dealer added options. When I bought my first Saturn I didn’t pay for the dealer added options or the dealer preparation charges. I didn’t have a trade in at that time. On my VUE I negotiated a higher price on my trade in than I had been offered anywhere else and didn’t pay for the décor package the dealer added which included window tinting. Good luck. I am very happy with my VUE.
    The trade in values you can get at Saturn are quite often very good vs what you can get anywhere else. It's the only thing that's really negotiable so I guess they can be a little more generous.
    Over the last week or so we have had several slippery days here in wisconsin. On mnday we actually had freezing rain which made the driving interesting. Several times I found myself in a slight spin. As with my other FWD cars I typically turn the opposite direction and hit the gas to regain control. With the AWD VUE I did not do that. I just tapped the accelerator. There is a very slight hesitation as power is transfered to the rear and the VUE regains comes under control very quickly. The hesitation though takes some getting used to, but after awhile I probably won't even notice it. I am really waiting for a big snow (haven't had one yet). Like you I would like to know what other owners think.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Here's a little info on how our VUE (a 2003 V6 AWD) is doing on the snow and ice. Over the last week we've had a 12" snowfall, and a couple 3" or so snowfalls. Also we've had morning temps near 10°F below zero. I take the VUE to work (as opposed to our Sienna) in these conditions since I'm out before the plows usually.

I can say that overall I'm quite pleased with the performance on snow and ice. I do notice a short hesitation before the real wheels start to grab (same issue the auto magazines point out) in slippery conditions. But this is easy to deal with once you are used to it (just like the torque steer is easy to manage once you are used to it).

I have no problems getting around in the VUE. I think the lighter weight as opposed to the bigger SUV's is a plus. The route I drive to work has some hills with turns at the bottoms, and I've counted 3 Mercedes ML's in the ditch so far (two brand new ones without the plates yet!). The lesson here is no matter how good a car is, you can trash it out if you aren't careful in poor conditions.

So for a careful driver the VUE will perform just fine in poor conditions.
  • bmf1214bmf1214 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a VUE AWD v6 about 8 months ago. Heavy driver (21,000 miles). Since approx. 3000 miles can hear a knock noise coming from right rear. Been to dealer many times - noise non-reproducable! Very intermittent; however does seem more noticeable with 1/2 to 1/4 tank of gas. Dealer first insisted hears no noise; now says any noise heard is normal.....has anyone heard this noise as well?
    The AWD has performed very well in snow and ice this winter (and we have had lots of both). The key is not to rely on it (as someone pointed out). It's very helpful, but it won't save you from careless driving either. One has to be careful in the snow and ice.

I'm glad we have an AWD, it well worth the extra money if you live anywhere where you may get slippery winter roads.
    I take it the knocking noise is heard while you are driving? Did the dealer fully inspect the struts? Reason being, (I fully admit this may be absolutely irrelevant) recently I have a friend had the same problem with a late model pontiac. I looked at it, dealership looked at it...no one could figure it out. Turned out that after inspecting the struts the dealer found walnuts (stored by a squirrel) in an around the rear struts. Could be totally irrelevant but, hey, sometimes you have to look at the implausible...
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    It's hard for me to consider the Saturn Vue with their one price, no hassle policy. I"m the type of guy who likes to negotiate. Also, it's very hard to pass up on Chevy Trailblazers knowing that GM and the dealers are knocking off $6-7K off the MSRP. So then, why on earth would I want to pay "full price" on a Saturn Vue? GM is offering heavy discounting on SUVs and Trucks, why not on Saturn? Also, does anyone know if Saturn will accept GM card rebate points?

Thanks
    Trailblazer is nice, but the gas mileage will kill me with gas prices where they are. No cash backs on VUEs, but there are discounted interest / lease rates. I think the VUE was at 0% for a while.

GM points can be used for Saturn in Canada but not in the US.
  • ottawascottottawascott Member Posts: 13
    My 2003 has 10,500 KMs. It will be receiving a new transmission next week. After the software and wiring recall it was subject to (and it may be coincidence) the transmission started producing a groaning noise and a shudder when the vehicle accelerated from 0 to 20km/h. Im now noticing it hesitating when its up around 60km/h. The dealership has been in touch with the GM engineers and they dont recognize the problem based on the description the dealer is providing. They called today to say they are replacing the transmission. I do appreciate their willingness to replace the transmission, Im assuming it will allow the engineers the opportunity to determine what the problem is and come up with a fix if it happens on other Vues. The new CVT transmission resulted in a 5 month delay in delivery of the vehicle and now this. Im more than a bit worried that Im in for 5 years of grief.
  • jchamborsjchambors Member Posts: 4
    I share your concern about the CVT. I have a shudder at 60 mph which has been reported by a lot of CVT owners. I bought the CVT because it was so smooth but now I wonder if I've bought 5 years of trouble. The ION was supposed to get the CVT originally, but when it came out it had a regular automatic transmission instead. I wonder if Saturn was trying to contain the spread of CVT problems. Anyway, good luck with the transmission change. I hope it takes care of your problems and works for a long time.