Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima CVT

Comments

• heygheyg Member Posts: 3
    Did your accelerations issues get corrected with the valve body? I am having the same issues and my dealer says if they can't duplicate it they won't replace anything? Also can I ask what your dealer name is and the associate you worked with? ANY info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Did your accelerations issues get corrected with the valve body? I am having the same issues and my dealer says if they can't duplicate it they won't replace anything? Also can I ask what your dealer name is and the associate you worked with? ANY info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • anordinaryguyanordinaryguy Member Posts: 4
    My dealer told me that they are not allowed to open the transmission or change/replace any parts. This comes direct from Nissan Canada. The only option they have is to replace the transmission.
  • mslucymslucy Member Posts: 1
    Smarty 666 - I am going through the same problem right now. I took a trip from Ohio to NY and the transmission acted up. I brought it to Nissan in NY and they felt it, but there were no codes coming out of their diagnostic computer. It stopped while we were driving it and they said they had been hearing of problems like this, but I should drive it around to see if it may have been a bad batch of gas. I drove back to Ohio and had the same problem. I brought it to Nissan here and they felt it as well, but gave me the run around, because they didn't have enough people on staff that day. Now they want me to duplicate it, but the car is acting fine again. When should I duplicate it - when I'm in the middle of traffic with my family!! I'm ready to file a suit!!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited August 2010
    Have u tried contacting NCAs about this problem? If not I would recommend you do so immediately. If you tell them how serious this is they should recommend or call the stealership that is poo poo you off. If they don't take you seriously and dismiss your problem, I would then threaten them over the phone that you'll get a lawyer involved, your state's lemon law, etc even if you do or don't. I've found in the past that the threat alone typically helps to get a fire burning under their butts.

If NCAs does not do anything to help you, make sure you document your call to them, who you spoke to, what they said, etc. If you don't get satisfaction from them, your last result before having to get legal counsel/advice involved is to take your Altima to another Nissan stealer near you that you haven't brought your vehicle to before. Tell them, your local stealer dismissed and poo pooed your problem. Other stealers LOVE to hear how badly another stealer treated you and many times will help you more knowing they have gotten your business over one of their competitors stealers, due to poor customer service.

If that Nissan stealer pulls the same thing as your first one, then your going to have to get a lawyer involved most likely. The problem your describing sounds very serious. It might have something to do with the transmission or it might not, I have no idea since I have not experienced anything similar to that on my Maxima but its certainly possible. Like I said, though there have been much less numerous problems with the 2nd Gen CVT, there are still some people having trouble. The problem is getting a stealership to listen to you and finding out exactly what the problem is.

Best of luck on finding out what is wrong. If I were you, I would follow those steps I mentioned before having to get into the sick mess of legal/lawyer help.
  • azmuranoazmurano Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Murano began having a hesitation problem about 18 months ago. The problem happens if I have to drive for more than a few minutes in stop and go traffic. Turning off the ignition and restarting fixes the problem. I had a service tech tell me it is a "safety" feature. Went on a long weekend trip and the transmission began up and down shifting at 70-80 mph on the highway - the engine began going from 2500 to 3500 rpm and back every few seconds. I took it in to the dealer and was told the engine oil needed changing and that would fix it. I made another trip two days later and the same things happened after a few minutes inching forward at a Border Patrol check point. I guess I'll again call the dealer... I spent quite a while explaining the problem to the service manager who gave no indication anyone else ever had a similar problem. Strange the dealer did not jump on the opportunity to do warranty work given it is a cash cow for them.
  • anordinaryguyanordinaryguy Member Posts: 4
    The dealer may hesitate as they may not be able to get approval/reimbusement from Nissan.
  • jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
    I have a Rogue, 2010, and the CVT caused us an issue of no acceleration after slowing down. This is a dangerous situation when on a highway or trying to get on one. Nissan is replacing my CVT but who's to say the new one won't do the same. I'm hearing so many different things and some of them are safety issues that need to be addressed. Trying to get as many of us having issues such as this to the National highway traffic services....hotline. Their number is 888-327-4236. I read posts, in this string that mentioned something about the CVT reving up and almost making the driver feel as if they were going to hit the car in front of them. I read a response that said something that this is how the CVT runs...or something like that. One of these times, there will be an accident due to the way this CVT is acting. It may be acting this way, but I think it's an issue that Nissan seriously needs to address before someone gets injured or killed. Please call the number!! Good luck with the CVT's.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    I have had a 2008 Nissan Rogue for the past three years and work out of it every day (drive 300 - 500 miles per week) and never had an problem with the vehicle or CVT. I traded it in for a 2010 Altima Coupe about four weeks ago and now look forward to many more years of trouble free driving.

Mike
    :)
  • jamie30jamie30 Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same hesitation or jerking problem with my 2007 Altima. The Nissan dealership has looked at it several times, reprogrammed the transmission computer stated the problem was solved, I drove the car again and immediately noticed it wasn't resolved so I took the car back. Now I am being told this is a normal characteristic of the CVT transmissions and that the torque converter is locking up but that's normal according to Nissan. I didn't experience this "normal characteristic" the first year I drove the car. I had 2 independent mechanics drive the car and suggest that I needed to return to Nissan for a transmission fix. I also received an extended warranty letter in the mail from Nissan covering to 120,000 miles. However, Nissan is saying there is nothing wrong with the transmission and no codes are showing on the computer. I'm frustrated and not sure where to go from here to have my car repaired so that this issue is resolved.
  • cath8cath8 Member Posts: 1
    Drove my 2010 Altima off the lot and the next day the engine light came on. It had 50 miles on it. Dealer said it was loose harness wires. 1 week later same thing, engine light comes on. This time different dealer replaced valve body, and other parts in the engine. Car was down for 19 days. I had called corporate. I was told the part was on national back order. Then corporate called and asked if i knew about the lemon law. I said yes, 30 days and they would have to give me a new car. They got the part the next day. So far its ok. But we shall see. Seems the CVT is giving a lot of people trouble. When the engine light comes on, you should not drive it. Both times the dealer said i could not take the car home. Nissan corporate can get the dealer that valve body part. Call and register a complaint.
    This is my second Altima, my first never had a problem so i thought i would be a loyal customer. I'm hoping no other problems occur.
  • marka921marka921 Member Posts: 1
    FYI...i just dropped off my 08 Altima to the dealership out here in San Diego for the same CVT problems...problems accelerating, decelerating and sometimes straight loss of power...only has about 40K miles on the car and apparently he says that five people this week have dropped off cars with the same tranny issues...back-ordered for a week...i agree that it is a safety hazard...luckily i was three blocks from the dealership when it acted up again (it was the second time)...also for those who think that the problem is related to gasoline quality, don't be fooled by someone who really is dumb...your transmission performance has nothing to do with your oil or gasoline, two separate systems..FYI...it's a major problem with the transmission and be careful...if you have a problem with it let me know b/c i've been dealing with it and Nissan has also been denying requests for loaners on many of these MAJOR problems.
  • bitmanbitman Member Posts: 1
    Wow I have the exact same problem you described 2008 Altima with about 46K and just about a week and a half ago it started whinning at about 40 MPH and gets louder till around 65 MPH. Was this CVT transmission replaced at no charge?
    Did they give you any trouble any advice?

Says it has a 60 Month 60K Power Train warranty.
    Just good to check before going into the nearest Nissan dealer. Thanks for any advice.
  • donnadee01donnadee01 Member Posts: 2
    I'm on my third transmission. Nissan paid for everything. The transmission warranty is good up to 10 years/ 120000 miles which ever comes first.
  • schroelschroel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe and I'm having the power loss after going a short distance. I come to a stop and then put the car in reverse and it runs the RPMs to 2500 and the car moves slow. then I put it in Drive and it dose the same thing. I have taken it to the dealer and they can't duplicate the problem,also there are no CPU codes or warning signals. Now they think im dumb. this is the second time. and now i will be waiting for it to do it again and then I'll bring in the blogs i have read, and the lemon law printed out and if need be a lawyer. Has anyone had this problem? :mad:
  • tripletrannytripletranny Member Posts: 13
    Another woe story - just had the THIRD transmission put in my 08 Altima. All were covered by the dealer under the 100,000KM (oops, now) 200,000KM warranty. The first tranny (factory) at 68,000km started making a high pitched whine on acceleration, which just got worse over the week I waited to get it in. Only 5,000km later, the new (rebuilt) CVT they installed started making a terrible scraping noise if you accelerated quickly with fair gas. This problem got worse, scraping noise all the time through bottom gears, and even had an afternoon where it did lose all power, after I had to floor it to get into first gear. It then started slipping through all the gears, a real hazard to driving. Dealership did not bawk at replacing any of the trannies, but this is getting tiresome. I don't even have 75,000 km and on the third tranny now. Service guy at dealership did state they are having lots of noisy CVTs with the Rogues, but he said he'd never seen it with an Altima? Nissan is by default admitting issues with CVT by adding to the warranty, but from my experience the replacement trannies are just as bad. Am hoping to go back to dealership and see about getting rid of this Altima for a 2010....hopefully those CVT's are better??? Any 2010 Altima owners out there with same CVT issues - please let me know if you think I should try this game again...
    Another woe story - just had the THIRD transmission put in my 08 Altima. All were covered by the dealer under the 100,000KM (oops, now) 200,000KM warranty. The first tranny (factory) at 68,000km started making a high pitched whine on acceleration, which just got worse over the week I waited to get it in. Only 5,000km later, the new (rebuilt) CVT they installed started making a terrible scraping noise if you accelerated quickly with fair gas. This problem got worse, scraping noise all the time through bottom gears, and even had an afternoon where it did lose all power, after I had to floor it to get into first gear. It then started slipping through all the gears, a real hazard to driving. Dealership did not bawk at replacing any of the trannies, but this is getting tiresome. I don't even have 75,000 km and on the third tranny now. Service guy at dealership did state they are having lots of noisy CVTs with the Rogues, but he said he'd never seen it with an Altima? Nissan is by default admitting issues with CVT by adding to the warranty, but from my experience the replacement trannies are just as bad. Am hoping to go back to dealership and see about getting rid of this Altima for a 2010....hopefully those CVT's are better??? Any 2010 Altima owners out there with same CVT issues - please let me know if you think I should try this game again...
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    ...had 2007 w/ no issue and now no issue w/ the 2010 as well.
  • jamess3jamess3 Member Posts: 16
    Tripletranny: sorry to hear about your issues, but have you tried to twitter about it? See today's WSJ about what Delta is doing to help clients with problems who use the "megaphone" of social media.

FWIW, I have a 2010 Altima 3.5, albeit w/ only 1500 miles, but I've had no problems. Granted, it did take some getting used to, but now I actually like the linear power feel. It's like a light switch w/ a dimmer vs, a 3-way switch, right?

I had read about such issues prior to purchase in July, but with a 10 yr warranty, I figured I'd roll the dice.

Best of luck.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I have a 2010 2.5S with 4,000 miles on it and the CVT is great. The combination of power and efficiency is excellent. I took a long road trip with flat highway and hill climbing and the CVT did a good job adjusting to the roads.

I hope everything works out for you. If I am not mistaken, starting in 2010 Nissan put a better/net generation CVT into the Altima's? A friend of mine used to own the 2007 2.5S and let me test drive it. The CVT is way better in the 2010 compared to the 2007, in my opinion.
    I have a 2010 Altima Coupe that I have put 11,000 miles on it in under 3 months. I traded in a 2007 Rogue with 64,000 miles in less than 3 years. Both have the CVT transmission. I work out of my vehicle and drive it every day. I have never had a one problem from either vehicle. :)
    how did you get in touch with Nissan Corporate?
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2010 Nissan Versa and the CVT makes a whistling noise on deceleration.
    The dealership tells me that this is normal for the CVT transmission.

Upon taking off in the morning, shortly after the automatic doors lock, a clunk clunk sound with vibration is heard and felt. The dealer representatives do not seem to hear or feel this problem. They tell me the car is fine.

I pointed out that mileage is the pits, - 43L/400 km. They had a mumbo jumbo answer for this as well.

I also pointed out that the tail pipe on the muffler has a very serious rust spot. The dealer representative pointed out to me that this was normal, and proceeded to show me the tail pipe of a car on the showroom floor which also had rust.

he said that they receive them this way!!!! :lemon:

I guess they are making these cars with tin cans from Mexico.
    Could you please let me know who you called at Nissan Corporate.

I purchased a brand new Nissan Versa 1.8L SL with CVT transmission.
    I purchased the car in July 2010 and all was well until mid September when the weather cooled down a bit.
    1. By mid September at 3289 km it started to make a whistling noise on deceleration. The noise is quite irritiating after a while when driving in the city. The noise was pronounced enough that on a few occasions pedestrians have turned their heads and looked over at me.

2. The other noise it started to make was a clunk clunk noise with vibration immediately after the automatic doors lockafter ltake off. This can be quite pronounced, and you wonder whether you are going to loose your transmission or your engine.

The Nissan dealership where I purchased the car says that the whistling noise is normal for the CVT, and that they do not hear the clunk clunk sound I am complaininmg about.

3. I have also noted the smell of antifreeze from time to time in the passenger compartment. I am now monitoring the antifreeze coolant level.

4. I have complained about gas mileage. The CVT is supposed to give better gas mileage; however I am only getting 43L/400 km.

5. I recently noticed a major rust spot at the seam of the muffler tailpipe.
    The service manager told me that this was normal, and he proceeded to show me a Versa on the showroom floor with rust on the same location. He says that is how they arrive? I guess they accept rusted product from Mexico????

They seem to have no shame here, and I am wondering what Nissan in Nippon is doing. What happened to quality product?

Please respond if you have any advice on how to handle this.

Dixie
    I haven't called Nissan Corporate yet. I am going to try the dealership first, to see what can be done about the Altima. I can't remember if I already posted it, but each time I've gotten a "new" CVT installed, they are actually rebuilts. I am wondering why this is. Since the last rebuilt they installed lasted only 5,000 k, my experience is that the rebuilts are even worse than the original CVTs. With the service record on this puppy, noone in their right mind would ever buy it used. I'm really feeling like I own a piece of junk/boat anchor, and this is supposed to be a "new car" experience.
    Ok, back from dealership - they agreed to a decent amount for trade-in on a new Altima. Had no problems negotiating this - a nice experience. New story on replacement CVTs is that they are supposed to be new, not rebuilt. (The service dep't at my dealership was good in dealing with both CVT replacements - no arguments about the noises & performance).
  • hrotolohrotolo Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a 2010 Altima 3.5 Coupe and has 10,000 miles. About a month ago I noticed when backing up and taking off the car does not go and sounds like it is winding trying to find the gears. Took it to the dealership and two people drove it and noticed what was happening. when diagnosed by mechanic he said nothing wrong and was the CVT transmission. Took the car home PISSED OFF and that weekend my boyfriend and I drove it to SF all day no problem. We went to store and it started doing and he said there is something wrong with my transmission. So after searching online found that they do have issues which the mechanic said they do not....
    If you have any updates on the matter or if you are still doing class action.
    Thanks
    Yes I just wrote a blog about my 2010 Altima Coupe and am so irritated 3rd time back to dealership to tell me nothing is wrong. My car is a piece of crap I have 3 Infinitis and loved them no problems. My car does exactly what yours is doing and I am taking my computer to the dealership and show him these postings as he says they never have problems with CVT .
  • dbailey75dbailey75 Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem with the clunking sounds after putting the car in drive and then accelerating. At first I thought it was the auto door locks, but its definitely a clunk I feel the clunk ever so slightly in the acceleration.

My car is a 2010 with the 3.5L, just purchased new two weeks ago, car had 543 miles when purchased, and I noticed the clunk the very next day. I read the manual to see if there was anything special that I had to with the car, and it does recommend letting the car warm up, which I do, as this was a requirement with my last car to warm up the turbo, so by default I've followed the required warm up and cool down periods as outlined in the manual.

I've just completed the break in period, and the clunk has gotten progressively louder. I'm going to wait until my first oil change to bring it up with the dealer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    We don't allow organizing class action suits within the Forums.

Also, it will be of MUCH more benefit to you to try to work this out with Nissan (perhaps via your dealership) directly than to go through a class action suit - both financially and in terms of speediness. Those suits generally take years and would possibly be resolved after you no longer own the vehicle. Additionally, resolution to the individual in these cases is almost always less desirable than what you'd get on your own - for example, in a class action, you may be awarded a small lump sum, a certificate for $X off service or the purchase of a new Nissan, or a replacement transmission (which wouldn't do you any good several years from now).

Your best bet is to document the problems that you are experiencing, and print out identical complaints from other owners as you find them. IMO, your worst path is to give up fighting this personally and just hope a class action lawyer takes over.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I've been a little worried about the reliablity of the CVT after reading a lot of the negative reviews here and else where, and i'm not just talking about Nissan, Audi has had some real issues, well according to the forum's I've read, but after looking at the total sales data for the last 3 years, I'm not as concerned, but the questions is, "do I feel lucky"

188K year to date through Oct 2010
    203k for 2009
    269k for 2008

660K altimas sold, I would assume that at least 85% or more where CVT's ( i'm still searching for the numbers) and lets just asume that 200k ( I would assume is much more that that) were sold in 2007, which was the first year for the CVT, that's 860k atlimas sold, or roughly 731k with CVT, that's a lot of cars. I think it's safe to say some folks are having good luck with the CVT otherwise I think we'd see more than 135 posts here. So for thoses having good luck with the CVT whats the secret, should we suck it up and follow the preimum maintenance schedule? Is city stop and go traffic going cause more wear and tear to the CVT than a standard transmission?

Frankly, I like the fact that I can drive my car, with good acceleration and never exceed 3000 rpms, I love the smooth acceleration and the way the car handles, but i'm still concerned with the ultimate Total cost of ownership. Only time will tell.
    The Altima has the CVT since 2007. Some Nissan models got the CVT even before that. Currently, only the Z doesn't have the CVT. Many complains here b/c they cannot get used to with the CVT's behaviors. Here is my reply from another thread.

1. I have a whistling or whining noise which is particularly pronounced upon deceleration coming to a stop.

That's called the engine breaking. You will feel more when you go down the hill.

2. Shortly after take off from the curb, the automatic door locks clink on, and shortly therafter, I have a " clunck clunck clunck clunck with vibration"noise coming from the underside of the car toward the back. All of my passengers in the car have experience these noises with me.

That's the ABS activation. I'm not too happy with the noise as well but that's how it's. You only hear that first thing in the morning after the car has been stopped for a couple hours.
    "2. Shortly after take off from the curb, the automatic door locks clink on, and shortly therafter, I have a " clunck clunck clunck clunck with vibration"noise coming from the underside of the car toward the back. All of my passengers in the car have experience these noises with me.

That's the ABS activation. I'm not too happy with the noise as well but that's how it's. You only hear that first thing in the morning after the car has been stopped for a couple hours. "

Thanks for the clarification.

Do not get me wrong, I'm loving the V6.
    goodeal2, thanks again for the information on the ABS, seems I missed that in the manual. In the section under Anti Lock Breaking System (ABS), there's a heading for Self Test Feature, and it talks about how the system performs a self test at each start and that "you may hear a clunk noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal."

:shades:
    Keep in mind, that pre 2008, Nissan's had the 1st Gen CVT in them which had a lot of problems and kinks in it, the Murano from 2003-2007 in particular had many problems with it. It was not to be totally unexpected since it was Nissan's and the first mass market car manufacturer to put a new CVT technology in to mass market production and there is always bound to be kinks and problems with new technology in cars.

Since 2009+, the 2nd Gen CVT has been implemented and the amount of problems with the 2G CVT are tremendously less than the 1st Gen since the efficiency and kinks were worked out on the newer generation, just like when the 3G CVT comes out it will be even more efficient and better than the 2G.

So far I have almost 15k on my 2010 Maxima and the CVT has been flawless leading to great mpg for the powerhouse under the hood (26-27mpg avgs).

I'm not saying the CVT is perfect and there aren't people who are having trouble, but that is what the 10yr/120k warranty protection if for b/c Nissan is sticking to the CVT for the long haul.
    Hello Gooddeal2,

Thanks to the reply regarding my noises with the CVT and the "clunk clunk clunck clunk noise with vibration" on my new Versa 1.8 L SL with CVT.

1. You say we should get used to these noises, but these are the kind of noises an old car makes or a car that is getting ready to break down.

As a matter of fact my 1994 Infiniti J30 (3.0 L V6) and my 1987 Plymouth Reliant LE (2.5 L 4cyl) have never made these noises, nor did they give the vibration I am experiencing with this new Versa 1.8 L SL.

2. Last week we spoke to our contact at Enterprise Car Rental. They had a lot of Versas with CVT transmissions in their fleet, and they had a lot of problems with their CVT transmissions.

3. I spoke with my mechanic re: the story about the ABS settling in making that "clunk clunk clunk noise with vibration". He said "it just doesn't fit". We'll all had cars with ABS brakes, and no vibration and clunking noises were heard.

4. Any whining noise coming from an assembly of metal parts is definitely cause for concern, ....check any tribology manual.

5. Also check with any mechanical engineering department, and you will be told that vibration leads to metal fatigue, metal wear & eventual breakdown of the component.

6. We do not even know what kind of mettalic alloys have been used in the Versa CVT components, but remember that the weights involved with the centrifugal action may be causing the clunking noises. I think that makes more sense than having the clunking noise coming from the ABS breaks.

7. If the clunking noise is coming from the weights of the CVT setting up, then the vibration experienced during clunking will cause wear on the metal components of the CVT.

God knows what can be happening to the polymer belt in the CVT transmission.

I know polymers, and they break down with time.

Does anyone have the phone number to the Nissan Engineering Department in Japan. We need to speak to them to find out what is wrong with their lemons. :lemon:

Why should we, the consumers be trying to solve their LEMON :lemon: problems ourselves?

Dixie
    I don't have much knowledge about car system. I just go by the manual and the tone of the service adviser. I have several Infinitis as well and it doesn't have that noise. However, I just think that Nissan might use a very cheap ABS system in the Altima and Versa since they cost less than half of the G.

If your car is the only car that has that noise, you should be worry but if all Altimas and Versas have that noise, I don't think you need to be worry much. It's either the noise is normal or they will have a recall in the future to fix the issue. I just don't think Nissan can ignore that mass number of defects if it's real.
    Hi Gooddeal2,

Thanks for your reply again. It is much appreciated.

My Versa is brand new, it has 4000 km on it. When I first got the car in July 2010, it had no whining noise on deceleration, and certainly no "clunk clunk clunk noise with vibration"". These noises began around 3289 km.

As we have all had cars with ABS braking systems,- what kind or quality of ABS Nissan has placed on the Versa.

We could have purchased a Honda Civic with the same money, and I believe we would not have run into these problems.

CVT transmissions are found in snowmobiles which I believe have 2-cycle engines.

I do not think the CVT is an appropriate transmission for a car. Check out the Altima Forum on this site, they are reporting lots of problems with their CVTs and some engine failures.

I am hoping my noises on the Versa will go away. In the interim, I am not enjoying my experience with Nissan, and in all good conscience I cannot recommend a Nissan to anyone.

Dixie.
    2010 Altima coupe 2.5 with 13400 miles on it in 3.5 months... No problems....
  • newcarproblemsnewcarproblems Member Posts: 5
    I am experiencing problems with my 2010 Nissan Altima. The car fails to accelerate after long periods of high speed driving and occasionally on inclines. The first incident occurred about 3 months after the purchase, where the car was sluggish in climbing onto my driveway. The second event occurred after driving for 1hr on the highway and exiting on the ramp with a larger incline. The dealer described the events as “special” CTV performance. The third and fourth events occurred while out of town on a business trip. The local dealer reset a “unrelated “malfunction code and advise that I return to my purchasing dealership. In route, the sluggishness returned just blocks for the dealership. My dealer kept my car for 4 days and was unable to recreate the problem. They indicated that Nissan has had no other problem of this nature reported. I am ready to trade this car in. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes- this is the same problem that i am having. Thank you for letting me know that i am not alone onthis one. iI am experiencing problems with my 2010 Nissan Altima. The car fails to accelerate after long periods of high speed driving and occasionally on inclines. The first incident occurred about 3 months after the purchase, where the car was sluggish in climbing onto my driveway. The second event occurred after driving for 1hr on the highway and exiting on the ramp with a larger incline. The dealer described the events as “special” CTV performance. The third and fourth events occurred while out of town on a business trip. The local dealer reset a “unrelated “malfunction code and advise that I return to my purchasing dealership. In route, the sluggishness returned just blocks for the dealership. My dealer kept my car for 4 days and was unable to recreate the problem. They indicated that Nissan has had no other problem of this nature reported. I am ready to trade this car in.
  • dllaserdllaser Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Same problem on new (less than 200 miles) 2010 Altima. Dealer replaced valve body in CVT. Took 10 days to get the part. Obviously this is a problem in some of the 2010's. Each Dealership is dealing with each customer on an individual basis and that response seems to vary widely. How do I now "test" the CVT without risking getting stranded 2 hours from home?? Suggestions?
    I just got off the phone with Nissan. You should call them to have a file openned .They then work with your dealership to try to have the issue resolved. they may even send an nissan tech to your dealership to see you car 1-800-647-7261
    Thank you funny Nissan called me yesterday and asked if I was happy expressed my concern. She was the woman that sold me the car and recommend I trade in for a new car REALLY!!! I have had it one year and I am sure would lose $$. I am going to go down and see what they say when I bring copies of all these postings. Will let you know the out come....
    Hi Smarty666 I am have in gthe same problem with my car. how was you issue reolved. did you call nissan to open a file. fyi their number is 1 800 647-7261. also did you dealer ever call the tech line? it matter if they just ask for information or open a ticket on the tech line. I have learned that this is how Nissan build the data base for researching issues with vehicle.
    Sorry, I have had not troubles with the CVT in my Maxima at all so I can not help you in that regard or have ever filed for lemon law. Best advice I can give you is to type in Google the name of your state and lemon and law and it should give you a link to that website and you can read about how you go about filing a complaint in your state.

Best of Luck1
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I went on a extended long road trip with driving at speeds around 75mph. Freeway driving with hills. Reached rpm's of around 3000, sometimes hit 4000rpm. When I got back from my trip, there was white smoke coming out of the front end. It was just for a short moment and then stopped. I opened the the front hood and everything seemed fine.

When I was driving back, it was raining and I was driving around 75mph and was a windy too.

Is this normal? Could there be a problem? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Almost has 10K miles on it.
    ok thanks
    A reporter is hoping to interview people who sent NHTSA a complaint about their car during 2010. Please respond by Thursday, December 23, 2010 to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story

Thought this might be of interest, since some of the material for the story was based on complaints found in these forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR