Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Heat and Air Conditioning

2»

Comments

• coachizcoachiz Member Posts: 9
    My CX9 is less than 3 years old but has 44K miles so I'm out of warranty.
    I did remove the blower motor (under the passenger's dash w/ 3 Torx screws & one connector) & was able to determine the armature is open & very rusted. I have 12VDC at the connector so there doesn't seem to be any additional electrical problems.
    My local Mazda dealer wants $611 for the blower motor over the counter. I was able to find a few aftermarket locations on the web with a $470+ with shipping price tag for the blower. None of the local salvage yards have this part & if they were to get a CX9 in, they would look to sell the entire HVAC unit as opposed to the blower by itself.
    My local dealer didn't want to hear my sob story so they sent me to Mazda Customer Service. Mazda Customer Service (aka Sales Prevention Team) didn't want to hear my sob story either but let me know to keep my receipt for the blower as if there's ever a recall for the problem, I would be reimbursed for the cost of the motor.
    After owning 20+ vehicles over 35 years, I've never had an evaporator drain tube clog. What's even more disturbing is that the vehicle is less than 3 years in service. I believe it's safe to say this is my first & last Mazda vehicle. :lemon: :lemon:
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2011
    "..armature is open and rusted..."

Rusted: simple sand papering will clear the rust on the "iron" armature surfaces..

Open: IMMHO that is not very likely. If it uses brushes then the brushes will undoubtedly be stuck in a non-contact position, somewhat retracted position, clean the brush holder(s) and see if the armature is still open.

Lightly sand papering, cleaning, the copper commutator segments wouldn't hurt.

If the blower motor uses electronic brushless commutation, as many modern systems do, then I would still clean it up thoroughly and see if now runs. If it doesn't run then the electronic control is most likely at fault.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    We have the 09 GT here in Dallas and its smokin hot this summer (was 112 eysterday on the way to dinner) and have no complaints.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I learned my lesson...stick to Honda products

...even if they look like cr@p!

2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring 2WD (first generation and first year) with 89,000 miles on the clock. Inland Empire in SoCal every summer temps run between 100-115 degrees...not a single problem. Runs everytime ice cold.
    The blower motor is a Denso assembly; it's sealed with no way to repair. Any armature assembly when ohmed out should have some impedence but this one shows open - as if the winding was broken. Got any ideas I'm not aware of?
    edited August 2011
    NOTHING is truly sealed.

what's to lose if you "break" it open.

"..any armature assembly..."

No, the brushless ones would likely indicate infinite ohmage since the commutation is done with transistors.

How did know the armature is rusty...?

Pictures..?

r u near Seattle..?
    I purchased the front blower motor online from DealerDirectParts.com. Their cost was $465 vs. any Mazda dealer I talked to at $611 for the same part. I paid $12 shipping but saved $37 tax. I replaced the blower with the 3 Torx screws, plugged in the connector & everything is fine. A notice to those owners out there who hear a swishing/ water noise under the dash; turn off the AC, check for an evaporator drain hose blockage & don't let the water overflow into the blower motor assembly under the passenger's dashboard. If your passenger's side front mat is wet; you've already overflowed water into the motor assembly & it's just a matter of time before the unit goes. Let's hope Mazda has a recall for this problem so I can get my money back for the motor.
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    wouldn't this have been covered under warranty?
    not, if he is out of warranty (time/mileage) or does not have an extended warranty.
  • wheels58wheels58 Member Posts: 2
    Where does the evaporator drain hose exit the vehicle? Does anyone have the service repair manuals for the CX9 and does it similar to the Haynes manuals? Thanks
    If you haven't found it already, the AC evaporator drain plug is located on the driver's side, under the vehicle, on the upslope for the "transmission hump" & under the silver protective sheeth. The drain plug is a white plastic grommet which makes a sharp upturn immediately. Trying to clean the drain tube with a hanger is difficult but an air hose, if you have a compressor, works well. Be prepared to get wet if the evaporator is full & you've already gotten water on your mats as the water will come gushing out after the block is cleared.
  • wheels58wheels58 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information coach. Just trying to do some preventative maintenance. Anyone with information on the Mazda Service Manual for the CX9? Is the manual descriptive like the Haynes manuals?
    I don't have a Haynes manual but I do have a genuine Mazda Repair Manual and it is very descriptive and use friendly. Please do invest on an OEM manual instead. I found mine on eBay and it was in pristine used condition.
  • mazda4salemazda4sale Member Posts: 1
    My three year old was forcing his backpack out of the back seat and broke the knob off of the rear air controls (the one that controls the fan speed). The fan still works, but you cannot control the speed, just the temperature with the other knob. What broke appears to be the little piece that the control slips into. I tried to fix it, but the circuit was broken. Anyone have an issue with this or know how to order a replacement part?
  • mrolonmrolon Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    It is normal that the a/c seems to turn on when you turn off the car?
    My car does that sometimes when the outside temperature is high and I dont now if is something wrong...
    Read some earlier threads...there is a TSB for this issue. Replacing the two relays will most likely fix your issue.
    Radiator cooling fans are often designed to do just that.

Just in case..
  • staceyeastaceyea Member Posts: 1
    Recently, I noticed that when I make a left hand turn, it sounds like something(perhaps water) is moving in the area inside the dash around the AC fan. There is a wet spot sometimes on the passenger side front seat at times.

When we turn left, it sounds like whatever we are moving around in the dash makes it hard for the fan to function properly and the air coming from the vents comes almost to a stop.

Has anyone run into this? We are out of warranty and will have to fix it ourselves. :cry:
    Check out my posts earlier on this string. You're clogged & need to unclog before you fry your blower motor. Keep the AC off. Good luck.
  • jrcjr65jrcjr65 Member Posts: 2
    Our 2010 CX-9 front blower fan takes as long as 5 minutes to start blowing. This happens about 90% of the time and usually after the car has been off for a while. Any suggestions?
  • bird02bird02 Member Posts: 3
    I spent over $700 replacing my motor blower. I searched the web to see if I could find the part cheaper but it still was over $400 & there was no way I could put it in my self so I forked up the money and the new blower does the same thing so I searched the web for answers & came across this website you'll want to take a look at. http://www.chimicles.com/mazda-cx-9-blower-motor-defect...I did contact the law office & sent them my old motor blower.
  • mom52mom52 Member Posts: 1
    Are you still having the problem with your blower? My 2007 CX9 has been doing the same thing for about a year. Dealership wants $1000 to replace the blower. I'm wondering if it could be a loose wire or bad relay since the blower works well once it actually kicks on. It sometimes takes hitting a bump for it to kick on.
  • jrcjr65jrcjr65 Member Posts: 2
    mom52, No I fixed the problem by replacing the blower motor relay.
    http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx9-blower-relay.html

$4.17 not including shipping. Sounds like the dealer is trying to screw you. Replace the relay and if you still have the issue it may be the motor..