Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Electrical Problems

Comments

• 84formula84formula Member Posts: 7
    Your not alone! My wife just called me tonight while out and told me her Tach reads 7000 rpm and the oil pressure gauge reads like over 90psi. Two years or more ago the speedometer quit, and about ayear ago the fuel gauge quit! I tried countlessly to get GM to cover the speedo and they would not! So why bother repairing all this electrical if its all going to crap out like its doin. Iv been workin on my own vehicles all my life and this 2004 trailblazer is one of the worst cars i have ever driven, and have had the most electrical problems ever. When does it end! Oh yea three months ago my wifes brakes started to fade on her. After doing some investigating i found the antilock module seems to let brake fluid bleed bye therefor causing the brake pedal to fade while applying the brakes. Also had no warning light to let me know of any trouble with thw ABS system. Now i drive the car with the power disconnected to the abs system and the brakes work like preantilock systems did LOL! I never started to chase and try and fix these problem because in the end they do not affect the cars performance. I will however NEVER buy another small GM vehicle again. I own a 99 suburban with 199875 miles on it and have only done mainteance work on it. My next small vehicle will be a honda for sure, or atleast something foreign. Me being a union electrician, never thought i'd say that, but chevy has a long way to go with some of their products. If you can't tell i'm not to happy with the trailblazer. LOL ! I It is dependable but electrically leavs alot to be desired. Good luck with your quest. Let me know what you think.
  • lyferiklyferik Member Posts: 2
    thank you for all the info on the other issues you are having and have had...but so far my truck is over 135k and that seems to be the only issue....the tach intermitintly going dead...so...ill keep my fingers crossed and hope that nothing else goes weird on her...but less than 2 weeks ago i finally changed the factory brake pads and still had about 20 to 25 percent left. my kids love the space and its been a reliable cross country road tripping vehicle. sorry u had these elec. issues.
  • knicklesknickles Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Trailblazer that has an electrical problem. Every so often when you get in and put the key in the ignition the vehicle is completely dead. No lights, nothing. You cant even get the key back out of the ignition. I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago and it did it again yesterday. As soon as I hook jumper cables up, all the power comes back up and the vehicle starts fine and may not repeat the problem for a week or so. I had the starter and alternator checked and they showed ok. Any suggestions?
  • misslanakmisslanak Member Posts: 2
    I also have a trailblazer with every electrical problem mentioned here. I have 43,000 miles and at this point, I will never buy another GM product. I purchased this new in 07, being a woman, I got screwed from the beginning. No new warranty and the extended warranty sold to me was worthless. Everything from sensors to battery going dead for no reason has happened. Now my oil pressure gauge is all the way to the right, oil is fine. I took it to a dealership and was told about 600.00 for repairs. Luckily a friend of mine took pity on me and found out it is the oil sending unit that has gone bad. $33.00 for the part and about 2 hours of labor. I also have had every gauge in the dash quit at one time. I have replaced the battery 2 times and every other week the service 4 wheel drive light comes on for a day or so.
  • misslanakmisslanak Member Posts: 2
    Mine done the same thing, a friend of mine replaced a sensor and it hasn't done that sense.
  • frzdawnfrzdawn Member Posts: 15
    :lemon: i have a 04 chevy which has been nothing but problems i swear the car is posessed. i get in after the car sits all night and it wont start so after 10 tries it starts right up. i thought it was the started after almost a and lots of visits to the car repair place chevy yesterday finally let me know that this is a common problem and its the ignition switch and i was happy until im told that this is on back order nationwide thats right nationwide so yes im on a waiting list for this part who knows when this will be available finally the truth how this switch turns the lights on and off in the car and dashboard also stop the car mid way while turning then you have to shut the car off and back on to get to go....but that not even half of what i went through with this truck ...i cant understand if a part is on backorder nationwide why not put a recall on this part its obviously a problem in 98% of the trucks!!!! yea but who am i lol :mad:
  • bsk29bsk29 Member Posts: 1
    I am having several problems with our 2005 Chevy Trailblazer, can someone help?...It started with headlights dimming at night, then when you start the car the powered locks go crazy clicking for about 8-10 seconds, after filling the vehicle up with gas the gas gauge went to empty and finally would not go into 4 wheel drive. My husband took the vehicle to Autozone to have them test the battery & alternator, which both tested good. Anyone have any suggestions?...Also wanted to add the car starts fine.
  • mah208mah208 Member Posts: 6
    I also have an 04 Trailblazer that I got used last year 09. It had only 21000 miles and I have the exact same problem as you. The vehicle is completely dead, but when I hook up cables it starts right up. Battery is now new and vehicle checks out okay. Did you ever find out what the problem was. I am totally confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I have the same problem as [knickles], what sensor did your friend replace. i am at a loss.
  • annie0122annie0122 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 trailblazer and first thing that happened was while making a left turn a few days ago my car completely shut off. Started back up again fine, a few days later and I cannot get my key out of the accessory mode position to take key out of ignition. Any ideas?
  • nutrinomannutrinoman Member Posts: 10
    I have not experienced the problem with the left turn. However, when I experience the electrical problems aI mentioned, absolutely nothing turns on, I could not pull my key from the ignition. I was told by a local mechanic that the ignitions switch actually requires a trickle of power to release the key. Just putting the charger on the battery for a few seconds was enough to cause the release.
    Sorry for the delay in getting back. My trailblazer is currently working fine (fingers crossed). Both times these problems occurred I tried everything I could think of to trace the problems. The only bit of information I could wiggle out was when the car was dead the battery measured seven volts. A very quick jump or only a couple of minutes on a charger and the car started right up.The first time it happened was with a battery warrantied for eight years that was two years old. I replaced it with the same model battery and experienced the same problems a year or two later. I brought the car in to a dealer for that and the window electrical problem (which was fixed by replacing the window control switch for $450.00). They tested the battery and told me it was defective.

I drove the car to the battery seller and showed them the test from the dealer. They ran some sort of battery test five times. The first four times it passed but it failed the fifth time. With that they replaced the battery for free.. So once again my problems have disappeared.
    hi yes i finally took it to chevy and they told me it was the ignition switch yes this part is on backorder they had to request it from all dealers threwout the 50states the part came in about a week and a half later and i paid 270.00 for a 40$ piece yea :( but the good news is the car has not done that since this should definatly be a recall they did no testing or anything and know right off that was the problem hope this helps ;)
    sorry i didn t have the key stuck problem but i did have the when i was turning the car completly stopped but in my conversation with the chevy tech says that the ignition has something to do with that problem says that it messes with the clutch and it also turns the lights on buy itself that ignition switch causes lots of problems... :sick:
    Thats for the information. I am going to try to get the ignition switch fixed...hopefully that will fix my problem. Thanks for getting back to me.
    thanks for getting back to me. I need all the information and help i can get. I had the same thing with the battery, and now have a new one. I am also going to try to get the ignition switch fixed. Here to hoping it works.
  • mincheyminchey Member Posts: 2
    Recently, while driving my passenger side front window went down by itself, then up again, all in short little bursts. Happens occasionally. Then my rear passenger side window went all the way down in one burst the other day but it happened just that once. Yes, I powered it back up fine. It's a 2002 Trailblazer. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Other than not doing things by itself my shotgun window did the same thing. It would happen no matter which window switch was used, the driver or the passenger. After a few months of frustration the window mostly stopped working. Does the illumination in the switch at night come and go? Mine did and when it was off nothing on the door would work, even the electrical lock.

Turns out it was all due to a bad window control switch. I don't know where it is located but it cost me over $400 to get the dealer to replace the switch. Since then I have not had any problems.
  • supern8inaksupern8inak Member Posts: 3
    Monday the 15th started real sour for me. I've recently gone over 70K miles in my 06' Trailblazer Ext. Around 5 or 6 months ago I had it in the shop what I recall was a crankshaft sensor that went out. Everything has been riding just fine on the vehicle. We did take about 100 mile drive on Saturday and it sat in the garage all day Sunday and overnight. Monday morning the garage was full of smoke and smelled like something electrical was burning. I figured it was my garage heater and shut it off. As I went to get into the car the doors were all locked and none of the remotes were working. I manually unlocked with the key (who does this anymore??) and there was no power to the trailblazer. She wouldn't turn over, nothing, dead, and, it wouldn't give me my key back (although I hear this happens on a dead battery). I popped the hood and it was scorched inside. I had it towed over to the GM shop and am awaiting the word on what happened. I am concerned due to the fact the car was parked for over 24 hours and while sitting there something caused it to burn up. Any thoughts? GM Mechanics seemed puzzled.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    What exactly was burned? The electrical harness? Or something else?
    I also had to replace the camshaft position sensor which is a small device with a short wire that sits on the top of the motor. This is not active when the car is off. The only burn problem I have had is the small wire harness inside the headlights. It actually burned off the bakalite connector.I don't know when this happened as I discovered it when replacing a "failed" headlight bulb.
    Okay, in regards to the electrical burning part. I was informed this morning that my Electronic Brake Control Module or EBCM shorted out and caught on fire. I was also informed "You're very luck sir because the fuel line runs about 4 inches below the EBCM and that could have burned your house down." I was told to file a claim with my insurance company since this was not a mechanical or parts failure but a freak electrical accident. $3000 dollar repair estimate. I'm not sure I want this POS back in my garage. I'm outside of warranty and I found a list of possible recalls in the future for grounding problems on the EBCM for multiple vehicles within the GM line.
  • eckruteckrut Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was, I am having the exact same problem.
    The Electronic Brake Control Module shorted out and caught fire. GM replaced as a manufacturer defect although my insurance had to cover the initial repairs. Just yesterday I returned the Trailblazer to the shop due to the ABS / Stabilitrac lights coming on again. This was the same set of lights that came on the day before the EBCM burned up. They better figure this out and soon because it's the fifth time it's been in the shop since the original fire.
  • mincheyminchey Member Posts: 2
    No, never heard a word or suggestion. Since it was so cold, I ended up unplugging the windows inside the right front door. Thought I was unplugging just that window but none work now. Since it's warming up outside, I need a proper fix. I just know it's going to cost an arm and a leg. Good luck.
  • eckruteckrut Member Posts: 2
    Thanks
  • gopostalrichgopostalrich Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Tb since Dec '03, my airbag light has been on almost since the beginning...the dealer replaced the instrument cluster at least twice, once on them and once on me....the light is still on...I just ignore it and live with it. While turning 164,500 miles, my 3rd gear clutch pistons began slipping...4500 rpms to do 40 mpg...solution...replace transmission ($3000.00 parts and labor). I need more light at night while doing daily night driving in Pennsylvania....so...QUESTION??? Dare I risk running HID's ? Will they fry my wiring? Will 8000's get me pulled over? R GE Nighthawks a better solution? Can I up grade my headlights to a new one'10 ? I need more light at night....HELP!! (hopefully my rebuilt tranny is a done deal)..thanks
  • kimmi4kimmi4 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Chevy TB, after 6 recalls before my warranty went out, its been a mess. I am currently experiencing what seem to be electrical problems. My air bag light sometimes comes on, my cruise control works then doesnt, my a/c blows cold then doesn't. Its been in and out of the shop for the last 6 days and the mechanic cant seem to figure it out. Check engine light back on after sensors were replaced. The panel for radio seems to get blazing hot when radio is on. Anyone had these problems, if so what did you find out that it could be?
    Do you mean that sometimes after you start it certain things don't work, but other times they do? Or do these things just stop working randomly? If it's the first, I would look at the ignition switch.
    The hot radio panel was discussed lots of times early on and I expect it's just normal. The heatsink for the output driver transistors may be close to the front, I don't know for sure but it's a possibility.
    The A/C has always been quirky on my 02, it has to do with the cooling fan design. It's a long technical explanantion. If the A/C is not working at all that's another story.
    The most common reason for a CEL to come on is the fuel cap being loose, crooked, or the seal on the cap being worn or cracked. I found the latter to be the problem on mine. The seal isn't just an O ring but a special grooved extrusion (kind of like an O ring with a lip) that gets small cracks over time. I was able to just turn it over and get another year or so out of it before I replaced the entire cap (couldn't just get the seal). Keep in mind that the CEL won't go off right away on it's own even if the problem is cleared. It will take several start cycles. It can be reset through the OBD connection however.
    I've had the airbag light stay on after starting a couple of times in 8 years, but shutting it off and re-starting has always taken care of it.
    I don't remember 6 recalls. I remember the wiper motor, tail light bulb socket assembly, and the trans lockout button (which I opted not to do). There was also a few TSB's that were done during service but those aren't "recalls".
    Good luck finding your solutions.
  • sher9sher9 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 trailblazer first thing that happened was fuel gage stopped working, then couple days later wouldnt start, when u turn the key all the lights come on but engine wont turn over. Towed it to dealer they fixed the fuel guage but still no start . so far it has been towed 6 times in 3 weeks they have replaced the starter relay, ignition, battery, and ecm. got it back yesterday with new ecm and wouldnt start this am. towed back to dealer today. good thing i bought the extended warrantee, But they cant figure ourt what is wrong
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Sher9,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experience issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about the situation so I can look further into it? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • camille2010camille2010 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. Checked for battery, alternator which battery was recently put in so none was bad. Finally, my brother changed the timing belt and has been 4 months now I haven't notice light flashing or battery gauge dropped suddenly again at night or day. Tensioner is also good to look into to replace if it looks like not functioning correctly.
  • flyleclairflyleclair Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have a 2005 Trailblazer problem. The tailgate will not unlock, the rear wiper is not working, and the keyless entry is not working all at the same time. The problem was intermittent and then finally didn't work. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a frayed wire and they repaired. Now the problem is back and is intermittent again. Any ideas where I could start looking?
    Thanks.
  • pin06pin06 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar issue with my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. I was driving yesterday and hit a bump in road. The car signaled to "Service Stabilitrak." As I continued to drive, less than 1/4 mile, power started to cut off to several parts of the car. The radio and a/c turned off and I could no longer get readings on my gauges. I stopped at the stop sign and it wouldn't restart. I'm not sure if it is the fuse or alternator. Yesterday, I looked at the fuses and they looked fine. Last night I went back to have the truck towed and it was completely dead due to battery drain. A boost got me up and running and I was able to drive it up on the AAA truck. It's currently sitting outside my house, but I'm concerned as to what might be pulling on my electrical system like this.
  • trailbastardtrailbastard Member Posts: 1
    The only way we are going to get anywhere is by getting people to not buy Chevys. The way they treat their customers is criminal. My 06 Trailblazer has been the worst car I have ever owned and they will do nothing to fix it.
  • timeforchangetimeforchange Member Posts: 2
    It's time for a change. Rather than being slaves to a corporation that sells us crap it's time to file a complaint with the NHTSA. The only way we will ever get a recall issued for or trucks is to get the government involved. Any vehicle problem that has the potential to leave you stranded is a risk to personal safety. These electrical problems that Chevy has been ignoring and charging the consumer for are a risk to your personal safety. It's time to mobilize people. Go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint.
    i agree .....its crazy that you have to spend so much more than the truck is worth to figure out all the mess thats going on with it....... :lemon:
    "Any vehicle problem that has the potential to leave you stranded is a risk to personal safety". Unfortunately, the NHTSA doesn't look at it that way.
  • timeforchangetimeforchange Member Posts: 2
    For a government agency to ignore a problem that has been ongoing is unacceptable. We as taxpayers allow bailout money to go to this manufacturer and then we allow them to continue to operate in this manner? Why don't we just hand every taxpayer that owns a chevy a shotgun and let them shoot their own foot off? If I'm paying for a government agency to enfore vehicle safety, I want them to enforce vehicle safety. Screw the semantics.
  • snackcaksnackcak Member Posts: 1
    I had same issue with 2006 trailblazer not starting.pulled up the driverside floor sill and found several wires melted as they wore thru from getting in and out of truck.after connecting new wires and placing them under the sill no problems
  • jnhnelsonjnhnelson Member Posts: 2
    Wiring from my blower motor to the resistor has gotten hot and I have found several damage spots on the Ground wire between the motor and resistor and including damage on one portion of the butt connector on the Resistor. I did my best to repair the damaged spots and replaced one section of ground wire. My work allowed me to enjoy my air conditioning for about a week. Its now not working again.
    What is causing my wiring to get so hot? Any suggestions?
  • mayabmayab Member Posts: 1
    You are not the only one who is having electrical issues, if you type on Google you will see forums full of customers complaining about the battery drain on their car. There is a DEFECT in GM built trucks and cars. I have heard of Impalas having the same issue. But there are forums are out there showing 2002-2008 Trailblazers with battery drains, that lead to electrical problems throughout the whole vehicle. My friend is having the same issue with his car and has replaced batteries, alternators and everything else. Some forums say that its the BCM The body control monitor is to blame. But, there may still be another underlying issues. I am currently asking for legal representation to have petitions signed on behalf of GM customers that are experiencing these types of issues. There are so many out there, that are having to jump their cars everyday in order to get it to function properly, I don't know how many people want to spend $20,000-$40,000.00 on a vehicle that has to be jumped or that they have to take the negative terminal off the battery every day just to have their cars run properly, but I know I wouldn't. Please get the word out, that if anyone is having any issues like this with their Trailblazer to keep posting to this forum or any other Trailblazer forum that they can find! I will be sending links to different firms to see if it generates enough to get people's cars fixed~ You all deserve to have properly running cars!
    yes definatly does not work at all chevy says total cost 378 or so :( :mad:
  • chevblazr05chevblazr05 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    I have tried to do some research on this issue but not sure what to do. The #5 setting for the fan won't work, I have read it may be a fuse, or maybe the Blower Motor Resistor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Usually, the highest speed is connected directly to the 12v source via a relay. The blower resistor may only be a connection point in this case. You really need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot something like this. It could be a problem with the fan speed selector switch itself also.
  • malibukpmalibukp Member Posts: 7
    We have FINALLY resolved our problem (cross our fingers) after 3 years of exactly what you just described. We had to unhook our battery every nite just to ensure the car would work the next day! I could go on forever.
    This is how we fixed it. As you know, you have to think outside the box. My husband started thinking about how the car is run by a master computer. Computers take time to shut off, slow down... you have to be gentle w/thm. So, when stopping our car, we turn the key slowly to the first shut off- at this pnt the engine is not running but all lights and radio are on. Then we count to 9 or 10 and then turn the ignition key again. Now we have turned everything off but the radio would still be running. We would wait til the car shut off everything itself- and NO one opens any doors until all turns off. Then the 1st door opened is driver door- keep open until all other doors are opened & closed. I swear it works! It took car about 2 months to reset itself, now when we go through process radio turns off immediately when you turn key in ignition to final off position. The car hasn't been dead for the last 2 months. You must follow routine. We do still go out at night once & awhile and make sure we don't hear anything draining the engine.... good luck......
  • yorkiemom5yorkiemom5 Member Posts: 1
    my 2004 Trailblazer fan does the same thing - sometimes! Along with many other problems that all appear to be related to wiring issues. Radio works some days and not others. Speakers will suddenly come on and scare us to death.... right tail light is out, but the bulb is NOT the problem.... door alarms ding at strange times....some guages don't work anymore. I've found well over 200 complaints along very similar lines. Somewhere there should be a recall and fix for this problem!
  • chevblazr05chevblazr05 Member Posts: 2
    I took a look behind the glove box the other night turned the fan to 5 and then moved some of the wires around "wall - a" it works Scary, yes I think so. Not a good sign for sure. I guess I will see how long it works. Biggest problem is you can't see anything very well under there so it is hard to diagnose anything. Like I said I guess I will see how long it stays working for now untill I look into it any farther.
  • untrailblazeruntrailblazer Member Posts: 2
    My Trailblazer brings me to tears almost every week. I bought mine 2004 new and had problems from that day on. I have called Chevy many times to complain and get a lemon law passed to fix all the problems. Why should I pay $39,000.00 for a vehicle and then turn around to spend more money to fix it. I'm glad my brother is a mechanic so the labor is free but because I go to him GM doesn't recognize my problem do to the fact my brother doesn't work for a certified GM dealer! SO I can't claim any of my problems! My brother has my Trailblazer now due to the same problems you are having. I talked with him last night and he thinks it is the BCM before this he replaced the dash cluster which had a short. If I let the SUV sit more then 2 days I had to jump it so they (I brought it to a GM dealer to look at) thought it was the cluster. My brother replaced the cluster and still having problems and now we are on to the BCM being replaced. I would love to get GM to claim the problems!
  • untrailblazeruntrailblazer Member Posts: 2
    Just received a phone call from my brother... he tells me that the power seats are drawling lots of power. I looked online to see if anyone else was having the same problem and I did find others. I told him that someone cleaned the power seat switches with contact cleaner and the battery stopped draining. Lets see if that helps with the draining battery problem!