Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Noises - Squeals - Rattles

acorymacorym Member Posts: 1
I have a 1999 F-150. Bought it used. I noticed the other day a slight squeal and clanking noise coming from the passenger side rear area. It sounds to me like the u-joints on the drive shaft are banging around but I'm not sure. It could also be a wheel bearing. The truck is a 4x2. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• paco42754paco42754 Member Posts: 2
    I have a F150 Sport with a 4.2L V6. It has a ticking noise which sounds like it's in the exhaust but can't find it anywhere. Someone told me the 4.2L is known for this noise but I can't believe that. Do you know what it is and can it be fixed?
  • twister4twister4 Member Posts: 1
    80 F350 - New Crate Motor just installed 500 miles ago and removed everything connected to the fan belts or turning over along with the crank. Sounds like a bearing on the crank paking it in to me but I've never experienced this horridly LOUD squealing before in any vehicle. Any Suggestions on an easy find and fix...I did install the engine myself from the crate so taking to the installer under warranty is not an option. Looking for a few serious suggestions without tearing the engine apart just yet.
  • guitarblues60guitarblues60 Member Posts: 2
    EXHAUST manafold is rusted might have a leak.its common on this truck
  • guitarblues60guitarblues60 Member Posts: 2
    I get a whistle noise when i am between 35 and 45 mph it gets noisy.. sounds like a dry bearing.or Idler pulley that sticks..Just had all brakes done.Replace a rear axle bearing..too.when i go to idle it goes away and gets worse the longer i drive it.
  • jasoncarpjasoncarp Member Posts: 8
    When accelerating from a stop at a moderate pace I get a shudder out of the rear end like it's not getting enough power. I can creep out of a stop, and jump on it without it doing it. '08 f150 4X4 bought new in 9-08 now have almost 6000 miles. Started about a month ago. It almost like the off road tires are gripping and slipping, but it feels deeper in the rear end.
  • ferets1ferets1 Member Posts: 3
    i have an 05 F-150 5.4 i had it in the shop and they could here it but could not figure out what and where it was coming from. mine usually starts the annoying whistle any wheres from 40-60 mph.
    how can i get rid of this before it drives me insane!
    any info would greatly be appreciated
    Thanks
  • jessejesse Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2004 f-150 with 55,000 miles i have a slight ticking sound coming from the engine ....something to do with the timing chain????.... its the loudest when you lay under it and listen....ehaust manifold????? can any one help??
  • mikiechrismikiechris Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you ever find out the results to your sounds in the rear wheels? I have a 1999 F-150 Flareside Supercab 4x2 Lariat with 4-Wheel Disk Brakes. At 102,000 miles, my truck is doing the same thing? :confuse:
  • craftsman82craftsman82 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I have a 03 F150 with the 4.2 V6, 5sp manual trans. It has 63k miles on it. I dont know if it has the limited slip diff in it. This is what it started doing. If you are coasting up hill and you hit the gas, sometimes it will "bump" or "jolt", similar feeling as if someone lightly bumped you in the rear end. It does not do it all the time, mainly if your coasting uphill, hit the gas and the engine is under a load, almost at the point where you need to shift up a gear. It does not do it at higher RPMs. It does not do it on the interstate. I recently had the oil changed and they added oil to the rear end. Any ideas of what to check. I also filled up the tank, bad/watery gas? Thanks for your help.
  • craftsman82craftsman82 Member Posts: 2
  • matt2448matt2448 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah having the same prob mines auto tho. would like to know whats up
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    Lubricate slip yoke coming out of transmission. be sure to use ford special grease for this around 30 dollars a tube same answer for craftsman82 another symptom if coming to stop right before stopping it fills like someone lightly bumped you from behind.
  • kkwrfdkkwrfd Member Posts: 1
    Hey had the same problem with mine but it was under warranty. Took it in and they said it was something on the cam ticking. Can't remember honestly what it was called and not near my truck to get paper work out. I have heard a few 04's sound like that besides mine. Also, after the dealer fixed the problem it represented itself again a few months later.
  • joemac3joemac3 Member Posts: 5
    I had a ticking noise they replaced both cam sensors. Then it came back and it was a bad cranks shaft.
  • tvollmansrtvollmansr Member Posts: 2
    After my 2004 F150 FX sits for a couple of days and I go to start it up, it sounds like a diesel for about 10 seconds until the RPM's come up then the engine settles into a quiet run and the noise goes away. It almost sounds like the engine is dry, like when you change the oil and start it up for the first time after the change is done. It only happens the very first time I start it. This started about 2 months ago. What could be wrong?
  • tvollmansrtvollmansr Member Posts: 2
  • chase12chase12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 F-150 it was making the same noise and would also vibrate starting at 65mph it was my rear universal joint and the drive shaft. Bought a used drive shaft and now it is running very smooth. :)
  • tonyaf150tonyaf150 Member Posts: 2
    Just took mine in today and they said it was my 4x4. Did you ever find your problem. I dealt with mine for 2 years before Ford found it today, lets see if this time it works. First time they said my tires needed to be rotated.
  • celia_nikolcelia_nikol Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford F150 and I regularly get my oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles. Last Tuesday I went to a mechanic to get my oil changed and as soon as I left my motor began to knock. I took my truck back Wednesday and they said that it is not a problem and I can keep driving on it. On Saturday I took it back because the engine began knocking much harder and shaking. They then claimed they drained a quart of oil out, put Lucas inside, then put a quart of oil back in. On Sunday my truck broke down on the side of the road. My oil pressure was going crazy then the check engine light came on so I pulled on the side of the road and my engine cut off and wouldn't turn back over to start up. The next day, I checked my oil and noticed that there was about double the oil then what was supposed to be in it. When i got it towed back up to their shop on the following Tuesday they claimed they called a Ford dealer and they said what happened with my motor is a common problem. They also said that the oil level was accurate. I asked them to hook the diagnostic computer up to it and they said they had no need to because they knew exactly what the problem was. I asked what the problem was then and they said well it could be my timing chains or it could be my screen, or a few other things. Do you have any advice or an idea of what might have happened? Is this a common problem? What should I do following this because I had absolutely no problems at all with my truck until they changed the oil?
  • rageigerrageiger Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 2004 F150 5.4 i had it towed to the shop they said my oil pump failed but i had no warning lights of any kind.I contacted Ford Corp. they said my warranty was for 60,000 miles i had 80,000 miles on it, nothing they could do for me.I had a Jasper 5.4 put in it out of my pocket because the body is in good shape.
  • rageigerrageiger Member Posts: 2
    mine started out sounding like a diesel then one day it started knocking real bad, had it towed to the shop my oil pump had gone out, my new Jasper has a larger oil pump,which in my old engine i believe the oil pump is too small also had cam issues
  • beck65beck65 Member Posts: 1
    If you find the answer, I'd like to know what it is. I have a friend who had his tranny replaced a few hundred miles ago and it sounds like the same scenario. It sounds like the squealing is coming for the rear main bearing. I wonder if it's due to something during instillation.