Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Brakes and Rotors

Comments

• homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    If you are buying a new car, or even one under warranty, I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes. VW knows the fix - replacement calipers. In fact, I would expect that new Jettas today would have the "improved" calipers. My Jetta has been a great car, with 29,000 Mi. currently. I average 27 MPG, the car is very comfortable, and they're not that expensive anymore (VW lowered pricing with the '07s). My car is a base, 5 spd car, but if I were buying today, I'd get the SE. It's a great deal, in my opinion. Don't worry about the brakes.
  • trepinetrepine Member Posts: 15
    Dear homerkc,
    I'm wondering if you would mind calling my dealership: Hoy-Fox in El Paso, TX and explaining what you said to me to them.
    "don't worry about the brakes" "VW knows the fix"
    were you even paying attention to what I posted
    1. I would worry about the brakes on these cars...after all..they're the BRAKES and when you don't even consider that at 4200 miles they might be gone you are heading for a wreck.
    2. VW may "know the fix" but my dealership and the national complaint line for VW flat out denied that this problem has ever been reported or encountered before. If you're on this forum and have had/seen this problem I strongly encourage you to call the VW national complaint line on behalf of all of us and all the people who might buy a VW Jetta--VW doesn't consider this a problem and blamed me outright. If VW hears about this from other people maybe they'll take it more seriously.
    But at this time, I think homerkc is dangerously wrong.
    Tom
  • pholetapholeta Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Jetta that I purchased in September of 2007. I had a defective rear passenger rim and had to have the dealership replace it. At the time the rim was replaced I was notified at 16,500 miles that my rear brakes were almost out and if I waited another 2 weeks or so I would have to replace brakes and rotors. It wasn't two weeks before I was cringing every time I stopped my car. I finally broke down and took my car to Good Year for a 2nd option. Let's say I have been very impressed. Good refused to repair the brakes until they spoke with the dealership service manager. Apparently they have received a lot of work from the 2007/2008 Jetta's and are just as floored as me that they will not replace them under warranty. If I have to pay this out of pocket I will, but I will never buy another VW. I'm a first time VW buyer and I am happy with the brand, but the warranty sucks. Also, I had a blow out on the interstate within about 17500 miles and the tires didn't have road hazard warranty. Never experience this issue as well. I must say that there are some benefits to buying American made as well as Toyota.
  • pholetapholeta Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately the new Jetta's brakes are not any better than the old ones. Read my story below. I am going through this situation right now and glad I came across this forum. The dealership said nothing about defective calibers, but basically told me not to use the emergency brake and to pay for the repair.

I have a 2008 Jetta that I purchased in September of 2007. I had a defective rear passenger rim and had to have the dealership replace it. At the time the rim was replaced I was notified at 16,500 miles that my rear brakes were almost out and if I waited another 2 weeks or so I would have to replace brakes and rotors. It wasn't two weaks before I was cringing every time I stopped my car. I finally broke down and took my car to Good Year for a 2nd option. Let's say I have been very impressed. Good refused to repair the brakes until they spoke with the dealership service manager. Apparently they have received a lot of work from the 2007/2008 Jetta's and are just as floored as me that they will not replace them under warranty. If I have to pay this out of pocket I will, but I will never buy another VW. I'm a first time VW buyer and I am happy with the brand, but the warranty sucks. Also, I had a blow out on the interstate within about 17500 miles and the tires didn't have road hazard warranty. Never experience this issue as well. I must say that there are some benefits to buying American made as well as Toyota.
    Pholeta,
    thank you for your reply
    to anyone who reads this forum and has had or heard of similar problems...please please please call the VW national complaint line at 1-800-822-8987 and for all of our sakes register a formal complaint.
    oh and tell them that I sent you--Tom Repine from El Paso, TX and have them addend my formal complaint with your example (I'm serious--tell them that)
    Again, VW flat out denied this problem existed to me and refused manufacturer defect issues, warranty issues, etc....
    If you have a dealer that responded favorably to this issue then please show them this forum and ask them to chime in with their company.
    thanks
    Tom ;)
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Brakes with certain car mfg's are funny, I replaced front brakes on a few Toyota's with less than 20M miles on them however the cars were over three years old. As far as any tire warranty goes, a tire blow out without hitting or running something over is a tire defect and is covered automatically, however based on the amount of miles that are on the tire you will pay some sort of tire wear charge.
  • 20jetta0620jetta06 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shocked to see that I'm not the only one who is having problems with my rear brakes. I just hit 29,000 miles and my rear brakes are shot. The VW dealership where I bought my car, told me it was going to cost me between $300-$500 to fix this and the back cost more... are they serious? Brakes pads are cheap if you buy them at the store, they must be talking crazy talk. Also, I've never heard of rear brakes going out first and at 29,000 miles. Absurd!
    Also, I was told that since I lease, if I go to a place other than a VW dealer, my lease is void? Is this true? I ask because my cousin, fixed his own and said he would do mine as well if I bought the parts? I'm not paying $500, period. Love my car, but maintenence is outrageous on it.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I thought I read somewhere that VW has fixed the problem on the rear brakes. I think it said it was fixed starting with the 07 Jettas.
    Not sure about getting it repaired at a VW dealer because it's a lease. I would think as long as you produced a receipt showing the brakes were replaced that would be enough.
    Maybe others will chime in. Good luck.
  • alcu77alcu77 Member Posts: 5
    To all,

I am an Engineer who used to work for the OEM of Jetta Brakes (through 03 model). There are rigorous Dyno and Wear tests that are performed on pads, and typical minimum mileage is usually 50K miles. There is no way brakes should wear before then. When I was working for this manufacturer, we never had any complaints or recalls from VW, and all customers were very satisfied (Toyota, Honda, VW, Chrysler). I can honestly say that 99-03 VW brakes themselves are designed, manufactured very well, and are extremely reliable. Although, it is correct that poorly designed calipers have caused increased brake wear on certain vehicles. The dealer will not admit this b/c they would have to replace calipers + brakes, and since caliper wear is impossible ... they blame defectiveness on brakes + owner. When I purchased my 03 Jetta TDI back in 2004, VW had worst reputation, and was voted worst by consumer reports for dealare customer satisfaction, so I am not surprised by everyone's complaints. FYI, if a dealer tells you it's time to replace your breaks, ask them to tell you how much wear in (mm) the pads have. then ask to see the pads. If they cant pull them off, then ask them to bring you to the vehicle, and measure the brakes in front of you. Why? because there are VW wear specs for brakes. I purchased a VW Jetta, Golf, GTI service manual for 99-03 models (published by Bentley Publishers) which contains documented service instructions for areas of the vehicle (Engine, suspension, brakes, HVAC, electrical, transmission, body, interior, steering, clutch, exhaust, trim, etc) this manual has pictures, diagrams, step-by-step instruction, specs, wiring diagrams, etc) it has everything the owner needs to troubleshoot, identify, and fix the issue. And if you can't fix the issue yourself, at the very least it prevents you from being ripped off by the dealer of other mechanic. Ebay - $80. Anyways, the wear limits for 99-03 Jetta, Golf, GTI is: 1.8/2.8L (FN3 caliper) Front: (both pads) - 7.0 mm thickness (including backing plate). Rear: (both pads) - 7.5 mm thickness (including backing plate). for 1.9/2.0L (FSIII caliper) - Front: (both pads) - 7.0 mm thickness (including backing plate). Rear: (both pads) - 7.5 mm thickness (including backing plate). for all of the above pads, the new pad thickness is 14mm for fronts, and 9mm for Rears. this means that for 99-03 models the front brakes work harder, hence the reason for thicker friction material, and therefore will wear out faster than the rears. Also, you should not have to change the front brakes until the electonic wear sensor indicates change needed via your info panel next to the speedometer. The rears do not have wear sensors. My Jetta has 92K miles, and I have not changed either the front or rears. Th reason I accessed this forum was because I am experiencing squeeling, but the brakes do not look that worn, and the rotors are not scored. I may be getting down close to the friction underlayer (used to absorb noise and vibration) becuase I can see more brkae dust than usual at the rear. I hope this helps anyone who is in need. Overall, my Jetta has performed well, but has had several issues. At 80K miles the bearings seized in my alternator and I lost power steering and a pulley belt. Cost me $350 for new alternator and labor (not at the dealer) . Now I am experiencing A/C issues where I cannot get cold air when I turn to full blast, or I turn on my recirc button. In closing, I suggest never going to the delaer after warranty expires, and try to find a reputable mechanic (by a friends referal only). For TDI owners, and VW owners in general, Try these websites also:

www.TDIClub.com
    www.TDIparts.com
    www.illicitvw.com
    Thank you very much for your post. very helpful
    I'm curious if you have any specific comments for my case with no brakes at 4200 miles, and how you, as a brake engineer, might have approached things with my dealer.
    their assertion to me was basically so preposterous that I didn't even know how to argue it...certainly didn't do it right b/c I ended up having to go off warranty and pay out of pocket outside of VW to get my brakes fixed and get reasonable customer service.
    very interested in your reply: 1) is it possible to have no brakes/damaged rotors on both rear brakes on a 2008 VW Jetta in 4200 miles? 2) how would you explain this if it is possible--driver error?
    thanks

oh, and btw, I'm gonna take your post #61 and shove it up my dealer's [non-permissible content removed], or wallpaper his car with it and snot/superglue :blush: , or make it into a banner behind an airplane and fly circles around his dealership all day and then parachute out of the plane using a big blown up version of it as my parachute, and then stuff the parachute version...up his [non-permissible content removed] too.
    thanks
    Tom
  • sdgirl13sdgirl13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Passat and am experiencing the same thing...and am shocked that they brakes and the rotors go so quickly. Does anyone know if the Passat has the same brake system as the Jetta? There are a lot of posts on here and I haven't read them all yet (just found the site) but is there a defect on the car? Is there a reason to press the dealer to fix it for free?? Help!
  • jam2989jam2989 Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone,
    its really funny because i just stumbled on this forum and found my exact problem that all of us have in common, i leased my 2007 vw wolfsburg edition jetta in may 2007 and i now have almost 22,000 miles on the car. my rear brakes started sounding like metal rubbing together and i realized that there was a problem. my step dad is a mechanic and he looked at the car and said that the rear brakes are shot. i had a ford explorer before this car and only needed the brakes changed once in the ten year period that my family had the car. my step dad says that a car with only 22,000 miles should not need the brakes changed so soon, especially the rear ones. and to top it off the vw dealers have special bolts on the brake parts so you can only get the done at the dealer. this is ridiculous.
  • rshaker90rshaker90 Member Posts: 6
    It seems on all newer VWs the rears will wear much faster than the fronts will mainly because of how the braking power is distrubted. My solution is to either deal with it or stay away from the VWs. It's just how VW set up their brake system and it's not a defect the dealer will even take care of. I purchased the tool for the rear brakes for $25 so I'll just do it myself because if you take it to the dealer, they will agrue with you till you agree to get new pads and new rotors everytime. I had my old rotors checked and they still were far within spec after 35,000+ miles.
  • johnnytoobadjohnnytoobad Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Jetta GLS with 98.5K miles, purchased for my 16 year old daughter. In February I replaced the front pads and rotors. Now the rotors need to be replaced again after only 3642 miles and 5 months. The pads, however, are fine, very little wear. According to the dealer, the rotors are rusted and pitted, "due to outside influences", i.e. rain or humidity. Both VW and the dealer refuse to stand by the 12 mo warranty. They said "perhaps she doesn't drive it enough", or "it must have sat too long without being driven", both not true.

This is interesting because I also have a 2003 Jetta that sits next to the 2000 in the driveway and has none of the same problems, i.e. shaking when braking. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Kind of interesting that over on the Saab forums I see a lot of problems with the rear brakes wearing out at 20-25k also. Maybe it's a Euro thing.
  • rshaker90rshaker90 Member Posts: 6
    Did you have the brakes replaced at a VW dealership or a used car dealership? If it was a used car dealership that I think was the problem. I had a buddy who worked at one place by me and the stories he told me of how what the did to get the cars off the lots were amazing, he couldn't take that so he finally let. One think he said the dealership would do is use old rotors from junk yards tad inches of rust on them and just cut them to make them look fresh (even if the thickness of the rotor was out of spec) and through some pads on them. And since they are the ones to do your inspection, you as the customer didn't know anything until it was to late. No saying that's what happened to you but I wouldn't be surprised in this day and age of cost cutting. :lemon:
    Thanks-but the rotors and pads were replaced at the VW dealer.
    Dear Johnnytoobad,
    welcome to my world and to our club.
    You're not in El Paso are you?
    Don't worry it's just your daughter driving around with no brakes
    did the dealer specify the "outside influences", sounds like the old blame game they gave me telling me it was my fault that the brakes burned out to metal on metal in 4200 miles on a brand new 2008 jetta b/c I sucked at driving.
    Have you ever heard of customer service like this???
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

no matter what, make sure you file a complaint with the national complaint line about this (see my previous posts for number) and tell them to addend it to my file Tom Repine from El Paso TX b/c VW still believes that there isn't any known problem about this--and I'm glad to show them the error of their ways.

Thanks
    Tom
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I'm truly sorry your dealers won't / can't fix your brakes. I can't help but think that if a VW exec read this stream, they would want to save these VW owners as customers. Probably too late for some of you. While my brakes were fixed, the dealer who did it has announced they are dropping their VW franchise. Too bad, as the next closest dealer told me the brakes were "operating within spec" even though the rims were too hot to touch after driving a few miles. I just had the brakes checked, and after 31K miles have 50% left on rears, 75% on fronts (a lot of highway miles). Warranty coverage is only as good as the dealer, and there are horror stories on this site for every marque. I'm not excusing VW - - it's their job to weed out the bad dealers, or pay the price in lost customers.
    Thanks Tom-

I'm in Cincinnati.

The dealer blamed VW and VW blamed the dealer for failing to live up to the warranty. Dealer won't do it without VW approval and VW won't do it because dealer says "outside influences" and thus the warranty doesn't apply. Seriously, as to outside influences, I was told heat and humidity, and the driver not driving the car enough. To be fair, the car did sit one week while she was at camp. Right.

Anyway, they offered to replace one of the two rotors and I pay for the other and labor, a total of $207.00 out of pocket for me. I called Midas and they'll do the whole thing for less since I don't need pads. This "offer" was a "goodwill gesture" by the dealer, and VW recommended I take the offer. I didn't.

The problem is that I have another VW, and the dealer has serviced that one, though no brake work (yet). The cars sit in the same driveway and are generally subject to the same conditions. I drive a little farther each day to/from work. However, the one with the new rotors (3642 miles) has the problems. Go figure. Clearly something is defective.

I've owned a '68 bug, an '85 golf and now these two Jettas, and i've generally liked and enjoyed the cars. I have to rethink that now, and will certainly not use that dealer again, he who put the rusting rotors in and now won't replace them.

I'll call the hotline. Will that do anything? I dealt with the "consumer advocate" already. Nice Fellow. Felt Bad Wouldn't Bend, recommended I take the deal. Spoke to his boss. Nice Fellow. Felt Bad. Wouldn't Bend. Recommended I take the deal. Not going to. Thinking about suing in small claims court.

Thanks again for your advice.

JTB
  • jam2989jam2989 Member Posts: 2
    i got the car fixed today and the rotors, brakes, and calipers are shot after not even 22,000 miles. this sucks
    OK I'm really confused. How can some people have 40,000 miles on their pads and still have some life let in them, while other say their pads are gone in less than 20,000??? I'm assuming no one is riding the brake, slamming on the brakes when coming to a stop.................you know regular easy driving.
    We just bought a Wolfsburg Jetta in July and I have noticed equal amounts of brake dust on the rims with both front and rears.
    The '03 Trail Blazer I'm driving has over 40,000 miles with the original brake pads front and rear. Also hardly any if any at all brake dust in the rear.
    If VW had a brake pad (rotor, or caliper) issue wouldn't it be found on most Jetta's and not just a select few???
    Please help me understand this problem with the brake pads.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Here is just another data point. 03 Jetta TDI, 5 sp manual with 109,000 miles. Front/rear brake pads are less than half worn. I am swagging 200,000 miles total mileage. If others are interested will post as it goes.
    My pads are fine, its the new rotors that arre the problem.

JTB
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Another data point:
    I'm the original owner of a 2002 GLX VR6. I put rear brake pads on at 95,000 miles. The fronts are still 70-80%.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    At current comsumption, it would look like you would be north of 225,000 miles on your front pads. :shades:
  • ppro101ppro101 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T. It has been a very good car. Always had dealer service from the original dealer. Last week I brought it in for its 50000 mile service. Dealer called me and said I need new brakes on the front and it would be $560. This car is driven by my wife and son so I had them do the work. All seemed ok they also told me I needed new tires and I made an appointment to have new ones put on.

Well this morning, I was driving the car in stop and go traffic. I was creeping up on the car in front and hit the brakes. Nothing happened. Pumped them still nothing. Hit the car in front. I left the car on the side of the road and called the dealer to have it towed and checked out. I was not going to drive a car with bad brakes.

The dealer takes it to the shop and finds nothing wrong. But earlier today I was not able to get the car to stop.

I am thinking that either they did not bleed the lines correctly or some sort of debris was blocking the line preventing me from stopping.

As of now they can find nothing in the computer and nothing in the repairs. Anyone have any ideas? Although I am now quite sure that I should have brought the car to a third party to check since I am sure the dealer "will find nothing they did" to cause the problem.

I am really concerned about driving this car. In this instance I was going about 5 miles an hour. What if I was on the highway and this happened? Someone could have been killed.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    The same thing happened to our 2002 GLX VR6, but only one time when it was about 1 year old. Unlike your situation, we did not have any brake work done prior to the occurrence. We do recall having scheduled maintenance a few days prior to it happening. The dealer found no problems and thankfully it has never happened again. I had forgot about it until reading your post.
  • spaniard82spaniard82 Member Posts: 8
    Had to replace rear rotors and pads at 21,272 miles and less than 10,000 miles later I was told I need to do it again. The first time I filed a complaint, talked to VW comsumer bs advocate, and still had to pay for it. Today (after only 9,849 miles on the replaced rear rotors and pads), the service department told me I had to replace rotors and pads again and pay for it. I told them there was no way in hell I would pay for it and took my car out of there. I called VW consumer bs advocate and they told me that it is still under warranty. I'm waiting to hear back from the service department. I will post the results of this later.
    Ok. Called service back and told them about warranty.The service tech told me that it is normal wear and tear and not covered under warranty but he would check with his manager when he got back in the office 3 days later. Meanwhile I called VW consumer bs advocate line and talked to another guy who said that "whoever told me that the brakes were under warranty was wrong and that it is normal wear and tear". I filed another complaint. VW SUCKS!!! One thing is to put out defective cars. I know it happens. But fix YOUR problem VW and treat your customers right! I will never buy another VW in my life and will tell everyone my story.
  • bobtravbobtrav Member Posts: 3
    A mechanic looked at my GLI and said those are special heavy duty brakes
    Sorry Spaniard.
    Welcome to our party.
    You saw my posts right?? 4200 miles and no brakes, metal on metal, damaged rotors on brand new 2008 Jetta--not only did the dealer and VW both say "normal wear and tear" but that it was indeed excessive wear...b/c I suck at driving.
    I'm wondering what the warranty actually does cover in the mind of VW??..maybe if the windshield wipers burn out at 4200 miles they'd replace them...unless, of course, I used them...which would be wear and tear and my fault again.
    BUYER BEWARE
    IF YOU ARE READING THIS
    Tom
    :sick: :lemon: :sick: :lemon: :sick:
  • bobtravbobtrav Member Posts: 3
    Tom, yes I saw your posts and feel your pain. It just reinforces how stupid VW is. It is just plain bad business! Forget about doing the right thing and fixing your mistakes. I don't think it would be as costly for VW to fix the brake problem, as it will be losing business because of the blatant disregard for their customers.

This forum and others I've posted on are great for venting and warning potential future VW owners but I really want to take some action so that VW does not get away with it. So far I've complained to VW customer advocate people and my dealership. I've also filed a complaint with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) with their Office of Defects Investigations: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I also filed a complaint with the BBB Auto Line: http://us.bbb.org/WWWRoot/SitePage.aspx?site=113&id=008c749a-ea0b-40ed-9be1-65db- - 5886a6fd

I have not heard back yet from the BBB Auto Line and was wondering if anyone has used them and if they were happy with the results?

This is also an excellent website to find out about existing problems with cars and to post your complaints: http://www.mycarstats.com/

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else can be done? Has anyone tried Small Claims?

Just in case I come off as a little nuts, I have never sued anyone in my life. My motto is live and let live. But when VW looks you in the eye and tells you it's your fault that the brakes are once again prematurely worn (4,200 miles in Tom's case???) it pisses me off!!!

I'm a web developer and will be willing to create a website for pissed off VW owners. I wonder how many people this happens to that don't complain. It would be great to have one united front.

David
    Bob, I'm sorry but don't know about GLI brakes.
  • surfmansurfman Member Posts: 11
    Purchased an certified pre-loved '04 Jetta with 39,000 miles at the beginning of August, 2008 for my son. Dealer said the brake pads were approximately 11/32 or 12/32 fronts and rears when the car had the PA state inspection performed in July. Front brakes are now squealing a lot. Anybody have any thoughts on what might be causing this and what should I do? Contact Dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
    I would go back the dealer and have them check it out. Might be an easy fix or something major.
    My advice is to take it back to the dealer as ndmike states ...BUT:
    1. expect to be asked to do a ride along to "help diagnose" the car problems--refuse, tell them to do it themselves
    by the way, tell them it started squealing about 30 minutes before you brought it in to them--DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING
    2. expect to be told you have no brakes and will need new brakes and new rotors if squealing...300$
    3. expect to post your disgust on this thread for all of us
    Tom
  • ajsvwjettaajsvwjetta Member Posts: 4
    I hate VW and will never buy a VW/Audi in my life. I own a 06 Jetta 2.5L 5spd manual and was just told that my car needs rear brake pads and rotors? The car has 34,100 miles on it and it is 90% highway mileage. I have 3mm left on my rear brake and 8mm on the front. THIS MAKES NO SENSE at all! Before this at my 20,000 mile mark I told VW that my car, when braking, the backend fish tails almost losing control (I live near the Great Lakes were it snows alot) and there is something wrong with the car's brakes, they stated that the brakes were O.k.. and not to worry. Then at my 30,000 service this is when i found out about the rear brake issue. SO Went to two different dealerships and both said that the VW Jetta is suppose to go through the rear pads before the fronts because they do not have as much thickness to them as the fronts. Total B.S. Also they stated that my car is intended to go through the rear brakes like other german cars do. B.S. My parents own a BMW and a Mercedes-Benz and have to replace there front pads before the rear pads. This makes no sense at all and I will NEVER EVER buy a VW or Audi in my life again. Please if anyone knows of a solution to this problem please let me know! I am going to talk to a judge, supreme court judge and lawyer that the family is friends with to discuss legal action against VW!
    sign me up
    you saw my original post right--brand new 2008 car, 4200 miles, no rear brakes/damaged rotors
    VW "it's your fault"
    VW = Veneral Wart
    Tom
    Please count me in too!
    An update on my situation with BBB Auto Line. They responded saying that they could not take the case because it is not a warranty issue. I'm assuming that they concluded it is not a warranty issue after talking to VW because VW probably told them that this is normal wear and tear so it is not covered under warranty.

I have 30 days to appeal their decision but I feel that if I have to convince the people that will conduct the arbitration to take my case I've already lost.
  • ajsvwjettaajsvwjetta Member Posts: 4
    Talked to the family friends in the system and they stated it has to be a "safety issue" for the government/court room to take action and help me out. SO until winter time and I go to use my brakes and the rear brakes brake first, making the car spin out again and do some damage this time to the car, it will never be covered by VW! I am sooooo mad at VW! Also the warenty is horrible on this car 48 50,000 New car warranty B.S.. My singling mirror light shorted out 3wks ago and that is not covered under the warranty! At a cost to me of $110 for 3 LED light bulbs. Worst car I have ever owned. NEVER EVER recommend this car to ANYONE!
  • jetta7jetta7 Member Posts: 17
    From what I've been reading, it sounds like the calipers are defective. As the shoes wear, they are automatically adjusted for clearance via a piston which screws in, pushing the shoes closer to the rotor so as to maintain a clearance. The piston, and, or caliper might be defective. I put 72,000 mile on my 2003 Jetta before I changed the shoes, and still had plenty of wear left.
    Jetta 7
  • atljettaatljetta Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 Jetta 2.5 I thought I read all of the reviews and I never saw this....Or I probably wouldnt have purchased the car. But just to ease my mind has anyone with this issue had any good experiences with a dealership in Atlanta?

Keeping my fingers crossed!! :surprise:
    I have certainly heard of people touting their individual dealers committment to service but with a lunatic company behind them I wouldn't bet on it.

remember--DON'T tell your dealer anything but that "something doesn't seem right with xxx"...play dumb b/c they're only going to use anything you say to get out of their warranty/committment/other. DON'T go for a "drive-along" either--they're the mechanics...let them figure it out.

also, I have been formally reprimanded by the forum watchers for using vulgarity...am sorry if this bothered anyone (except if it bothered VW/Hoy-Fox)

In the future, I will use an old trick that works for my lack of control over my anger over this issue.

This company is Smurfin Smurf and their service is Smurf-smurfin-smurf-smurf

love,
    Papa Smurf ;)
    Thanks for the info tmycakes. I'm having issues with my rear brakes, dealership, and VW. They're blaming my driving habits for the premature rear brake wear (first rear pad/rotor change at 21,000 and dealing with the same problem 9,000 miles later) and refuse to fix it for free. For the record, I've owned several cars and never had to change rear or front pads before 40,000. Is there any way to prove that the premature wear is caused by faulty rear brake assembly or poorly adjusted ebrake?
    Thank you,
    David
    To everyone on this forum
    Please please please
    submit a complaint to the national highway transportation safety board
    the contact info is in the very first few pages of your VW owner's manual.
    This is the only way that VW is going to stop doing this to its customers.
    Tom
  • amberncambernc Member Posts: 1
    Completely agree with Tom.

I have a 2007 piece of JUNK Jetta!!! At 29,000 highway miles I started getting a grinding noise in the back. Called my dealer, advised of noise in brakes and was given an appt for 2 weeks later. At appt I was advised that it was going to cost $400 to have the pads and rotors on the rear replaced.

This issue started at the end of August and my car has been sitting in my garage ever since because I refuse to pay for an issue that is not my fault.

I just went online and filed a complaint with the highway transportation safety board.
  • pcg2pcg2 Member Posts: 1
    hey, i'm no car guy by any means, but this one at the dealership threw me a bit...

I took jetta to tire dealer after noticing odd wear pattern on inside portion of rear tires, front tires have worn evenly. Tire place said that it could be cause by possible rear axle misalignment and that my brake actuators were sticking in engaged position and brakes were worn. They did not want to mess with jetta axle and suggested dealership...

dealership said that there was no misalignmen with the back end, or front end and suggested I replace rear brakes/rotors. I agreed to rear brakes/rotors, figured at 78k it was about time (never had it performed).

dealership threw me when they recommended I replace the emergency brake cables as they said they were rusted. I questioned them on this and lady said the cables can "swell" when they rust, thereby causing the brakes to remain engaged, like driving with e-brake on is what lady said....

Does this make sense to anyone, or was I getting fed a line of BS?? (i didn't allow them to perform the service)
  • grimjakgrimjak Member Posts: 1
    Rear brakes grinding metal after 26000 miles. Grinded metal for 1 minute after releasing parking brake and pulling away from parking spot. Obviously the parking brake was still partially engaged or there would not have been a metal sound as I drove away. Dealer said new pads and rotors for the rear, $400. This was normal on all VWs as the rear rotors/pads are smaller than the front (yeah since they are supposed to do only a small fraction of the work). Called the VW corporate advocate (they certainly are not a consumer advocate). The dealer called me back told me the same lies (this dealer is in Snellville, GA by the way). Service manager continuously refuses to speak to me about the issue. Otherwise I have really enjoyed the car and the great milage I get. But this one issue is enough to show me without a doubt that VW doesn't' care about the customer, won't take the time to fix a simple problem and woudl prefer to lie to their customers. Don't trust them, don't buy their products.