Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Trebor, that's exactly why the Cold Kit is optional...some people (like you) want it, and others choose not to. If I lived in South Florida, to me the $200 would be a total waste. The higher amp battery does not have a longer service life. It's merely to offset the loss of power in a wet cell battery at cold temperatures...that's why it's part of the "cold kit". I have headlight washers on one of my current vehicles, live in New Jersey, and the only time I've found them to be useful is in the winter at night when the roads are being salted or sanded, although in those conditions they really do work well. For general cleaning of headlights, I've never been able to discern a noticeable difference.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "Yes, I am planning to replace our 02 Odyssey for a bigger and more capable vehicle. "

You may not have many choices when it comes to "a bigger" vehicle depending on your definition, since the Odyssey has one of the largest interiors on the market and in many respects larger than a Suburban.

I could be wrong, however I think the Honda may be one of the few passenger vehicles left on the market that can handle a full sheet of plywood on the floor with the seats folded and the hatch closed. I think the only others are full size vans and the Navigator/Expedition EL. I know the new Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV can no longer handle a sheet since their seats don't fold flat to the floor in the 2nd row.

I don't think there's any other minivan with this interior size. Handling a sheet of plywood may not be on everyone's "needs" list, but it is an interesting way to compare interior cargo capacities. Anyone know if there's any other vehicles other than the one's I mentioned that can handle a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood lying flat inside as cargo with all doors closed?
    If any dealer is telling you that ordering a Sequoia with an unusual set of options will potentially production of the vehicle, they are simply lying to you. First, they want the ability to complete the sale asap, and a truck with a standard option set will be easier to find and may not even need to be factory ordered. Second, in case they take delivery on the truck and the buyer does not complete the purchase, they don't want to risk being left with a truck that might be difficult to sell.
    "ordering a Sequoia with an unusual set of options "

What's your definition of "unusual" combination? Heck there aren't even that many options to choose from. Can anybody provide an example of what an "unusual set of options" might look like so that we aren't talking hypotheticals?

Obviously some options only come together as a package and that's understood (ie you can't get headlight washers unless you get the Cold Kit), but can anyone outline a single combination of individual options from the factory they believe can't be ordered on a new Sequoia?

http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/options.html
    An "unusual set of options" (my term) is any set of options inconsistent with the option packages as shown in the ebrochure for your geographical area on Toyota's website. Unless they have radically changed the plant in the last 12 months, given Toyota's flexible manufacturing system as applied at Princeton they can make any one of the three vehicles they assemble there in any order, in any color, and with any available set of options. Note that the "standard" option packages are different based on region. For example in New Jersey the Cold Weather Package is included in any listed option package for any 4 wheel drive Sequoia, irrespective of the trim level (SR5, Limited, Platimum). In Miami, many of the option packages shown for 4x4's don't include the Cold Weather Package (but some do). There are all sorts of option limitations, just look at the ebrochure. For example, you can't get the 20" wheels on the SR5, and you can't get the 6 CD indash unit in the Platinum due to the rear camera.
    "An "unusual set of options" (my term) is any set of options inconsistent with the option packages as shown in the ebrochure for your geographical area on Toyota's website."

Based on "your" criteria that would mean you can't order a Platinum Sequoia without a Rear Entertainment option since its in both of the 2 options listed on the Toyota website. The Toyota website does not allow the user to build a Platinum without including Option A or B for the NorthEast.

I know this to be innaccurate as I had an order for a Platinum that did not include the rear entertainment and subsequently changed it to include the rear entertainment (which is in my current order). The order was placed by the dealership and accepted by the dealer ordering system.

Based on my experience, it is not accurate to state that a buyer can only order the packages shown on the Toyota website. My view is that the builds on the Toyota website are the most likely builds you are to find on dealer showrooms and has nothing to do with placing orders through your local dealer...as I did.

Shark..by chance are you a Toyota salesman?
    I think you misread my post, we are in agreement. You absolutely can "special order" the truck the way you described. It's just very unlikely that you would ever find one sitting on a dealer's lot equipped that way. I'm not a Toyota salesman.
    Its also worth noting the following on the Toyota Sequoia build site (bottom right corner http://www.toyota.com/byt/pub/init.do?zip_code=08833&series_id=79):

"NOTE: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle".

I think this addresses the matter quite well that if you want a Sequoia outfitted a particular way you should work with the dealership that's given you the deal you want and "build" the vehicle just the way you want it. Based on the experience with my dealer, I am confident that almost any build is possible with time being the only factor to consider.

For the dealership that gives you a "take it or leave it" attitude, my recommendation is to "leave it" and find a dealership more interested in your needs than selling you whats on their showroom floor or their dealer order sheet.
    Shark,

Thanks for the clarification...I misunderstood your point. My apologies.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Hd, you're totally misunderstanding my point. Our dealership goes out of its way to please customers. We can preference any car or suv we want we the options we want but if it's not configured that way on the TVO it's not happening. To wit: We preferenced an Avalon XLS magnetic grey with ivory interior. Haven't seen it. "normally not ordered in your area" This was back in November of 07 and guess what? we have not gotten a single mag grey in any interior color since then. Why? because the dumb computer keeps cycling to see if there will be one made and since it's not being made it's keeping us from getting mag grey XLS's. Until we go and delete the request it will keep cycling. The customer finally got tired of waiting and are now looking at alternate colors.
    Mack
    "NOTE: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle".

That's just legalese and not indicative of the true reality.
    Mack
    That's right, and in theory there could be a problem with a "special" order if the plant was temporarily closed, or if they were having a supplier issue. For example, let's use the example of Lear (I think Lear manufactures the "cooled" seats) running short of Saddle colored Platimum front seats (it's unlikely this would ever happen) due to a fire in Lear's plant. If a dealer ordered such a vehicle, Toyota's production system would either not accept the order, or inform the dealer that the production of the vehicle was going to be delayed.
    "Hd, you're totally misunderstanding my point."

Its possible however you seem to be changing your point. I never made any reference to interior and exterior colors. My point was that you could build a Sequoia with any combination of "options" from the factory list and that if you disagreed to please suggest a combination you thought was not available.

Unless your position has changed, you suggested that it was only possible to order a Sequoia with the "packages" listed on the Toyota "Build it" website. I think both the website and my dealership have been clear in suggesting that if you want to build a Sequoia with a different set of options (or no options) you can do so by placing an order through your dealership instead of taking the "commonly available" combination already on the showroom floor.
    "That's just legalese and not indicative of the true reality.
    Mack "

Of course.....I should have known...the Toyota website couldn't be correct because only Mack the Car Salesman knows the "true reality". Boy.... am I glad I bought from the dealership I did.
    One other point with the Lear example....if Lear was going to be unable to provide seats for a long period of time, you might see Toyota install "Limited" seats (I'm assuming Limited seats would be compatable with the Platinum wiring harness), and it would be so noted on the window sticker along with a price credit. Something similar happened several years ago when there was a manufacturing problem with the alloy wheels for Camry XLE's...for a few days the factory installed wheels from a lesser Camry model and a credit showed up on the window stickers.
    Hey no need to get snooty. If you don't agree with what I say then say so. I'm just telling it to you the way it is. I've been selling Toyotas for 10 years, have been an internet manager, dealer exchanger, stock in clerk, order vehicles, you name it I've done it and I know how the system works. All you got was a Sequoia Platinum that was already being built. Nothing special about it. And another thing, I have nothing to gain by coming to this forum. I just come here to inform. Don't like it, don't read it.
    Mack
  • wrxcstiwrxcsti Member Posts: 21
    jabc,

I'm in a similar situation in terms of trunk space. With my 4th baby on the way, I really value the trunk space since the 3rd row will always be up. I have a 05 Odyssey which has a very good trunk space of approx 38.4 cu ft. I checked out the 08 Sequoia in person and the trunk space behind the 3rd row is really not that much (28.4 per Toyota's spec). The larger trunk space of the GM XLs is the ONLY reason that I'm still considering the Denali XL. I do plan to keep my Odyssey for everyday use but utilize the Sequoia or XL more for longer distance trips or family vacations (almost always long road trips hence the need for large trunk space).

As I said earlier, if the Sequoia makes an extended version that is another 15 inches longer, I'd buy it without any delay.
    "Hey no need to get snooty."

It just seemed abit unseemly to have one salesman suggesting another is lying and at the same time suggesting as a salesman your reality is more accurate then the information printed on the Toyota website.

I'm sure your experience has helped many customers, but perhaps Toyota's manufacturing has changed from your historical ordering experiences. Particularly given that the Sequoia engine and chassis plants are new plants and probably better designed to serve the American Sequoia marketplace. I suspect they are better suited to flexible manufacturing than your past experiences with models that are made and shipped from Japan.

I never suggested there was anything special about the Sequoia I ordered other than to share with others that I was not limited by my dealer to the 2 options packages described on the Toyota website. BTW it hasn't been built yet and the color Platinum with the interior and options I chose is scheduled for production on Feb 20. The order was placed by the dealer on Dec. 22

I think if your comments as a salesman were couched more as "your experience" versus portraying others as lying, your views might have been received differently.
    Whatever. Don't like the truth don't read it. There is no difference when preferencing not ordering we don't order from Toyota. They dictate to the dealers what is being produced with which options and take your pick. Only things we can add are PIO or DIO accessories. As I said your Sequoia is nothing special. It's just one that was already in the pipeling. And yes if you go to buyatoyota.com there are only two option packages available and you got one of them. Have a nice day.
    :P
    "Whatever. Don't like the truth don't read it."

As always, there are many "truths" on a forum like this.

There's the "truth" on the Toyota website that encourages potential buyers to contact a local dealer to configure their Sequoia as the prefer if they want to combine options or delete options not already listed in an option package:

There's the "truth" that other dealers are building and receiving Sequoias with option combinations that are not the standard combinations listed on the Toyota website: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sequoia/123052-2008-sequoia-2wd-5-7-sr5/

There's the truth that I had a Platinum Sequoia order accepted without a rear entertainment unit included when the Toyota website does not offer that as one of the option packages.

And there's the "truth" of a Toyota car salesman that says you can only purchase the option packages exactly as they are configured on the Toyota website regardless of the Note above.

The good news is that potential Sequoia buyers have choices when deciding which "truth" they plan to follow when spending their hard-earned money.
  • jabcjabc Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, we are on the same boat.

If the trunk space is indeed 28.4 as provided by Toyota's website.
    I may consider to buy a 2008 Sequoia.
    Will need a good roof rack for the camping gears though.

But I am concerned about the number from Edmunds which is only 18.9.
    The 18.9 in similar to that of Armada/QX (~20) and Ford Exp (~20).
    If Edmund is correct, the 2008 Sequoia will be out of my considerations.

Will dream about a Sequoia XL, but still won't consider GM's XL nor Ford's EL.
    "There's the truth that I had a Platinum Sequoia order accepted without a rear entertainment unit included when the Toyota website does not offer that as one of the option packages. "

Sure it does. You can get a Platinum Sequoia with or without the DVD entertainment system. And that's the truth. Seems like you have a disdain for car salesman. That's ok. I have a disdain for blind people too even when the
    "truth" is staring them in the face. See you later. I won't be coming back to this thread.
    Go ahead and "order" yourself a pick and choose Sequoia and let me know how long it takes you to get it and if you don't get it I really don't care. Have a nice day.
    Hasta Luego :shades:
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    Don't worry HD....he got peeved with me too when I questioned some "truths" that he was stating. What can you do?
    We all have our biases....some of us are just more willing to admit to them :)
  • hanoverkenhanoverken Member Posts: 30
    Hey hd,

So if I get the drift of this (heated) discussion, so long as you give it ample time, you can order your Sequoia pretty much any way you want? As you know from another thread I am getting a Limited loaded up. What I DON'T want is all the extra crap thrown in like skid pads (my only off road will be the beach), wheel locks (I live in a nice neighborhood and have good insurance), cargo cover (mine have always sat in the garage for the 3 year duration of the lease), first aid kit (I have my own), etc. It's not huge money, but the stuff I just listed retails for close to a $G. Some dealers say that the stuff just "comes that way" others don't. Hard to get a straight answer - hence my feeling that I have had to have my guard up while shopping for this vehicle.

What is the timeframe from order to delivery? I wonder if it changes from market to market - I'm in the Northeast?

The other big question is why the heck Toyota doesn't offer black leather and carpet in this vehicle? Gray or Beige is going to get killed by my son's Scout friends that I take away camping once a month and my two dogs - let alone the abuse my kids and their friends dish out on a daily basis. It's almost like Toyota is clueless on that issue. I guess every vehicle has worts...and my local detailer will have extra business. Thanks as always for your input.

Ken W.
    That 28 number from Toyota is the outlyer from what I've seen. I'm much more apt to believe Edmunds' measurement than Toyota's. The Toyota number looks like a typo to me...should be 18 instead of 28.
    I don't really get the interior color options either. Toyota/Lexus and even Honda seem to commonly ignore black as an interior color. Personally, I'd jump at black for an interior color since it does hide dirt so well. I suppose that car makers know what they're doing and there is not the demand for black interiors as we seem to think or that the demand is not a fiscally prudent approach to the manufactoring cost/benefit analysis.
    And what "truths" would those be keg? If I recall you were the one to utter the words you attributed to me. Let's get this right.
    Get your facts together before slinging mud. image
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    Does anybody on this forum have any idea when full pricing for the 08 will be available in Canada ?

The only information I have is that the "base" Limited will be $ 11,000 more than the SR5 and the Limited "B package" (technology options) will be an additional $ 4,000. The Platinum will apparently be $ 5,000 on top of the Limited B package.

The configurations are different than the US offering. For example, the Limited comes standard with 20 inch wheels. It is not an option.

I don't know what the base price is and the Canadian web site still shows the 2007 model, so there is no information there.
    No need to rehash several pages of your comments. They are quite obvious to most of us here. Your Toyota rose colored glasses are beyond coke bottle thick. ;)

Besides...I thought you were not coming back to this thread ;) :P

Don't worry....we know you like us over here :blush:
    "Seems like you have a disdain for car salesman."

I hope Mack decides to continue in the forum as I have no disdain for salesman. In fact I've been in sales my entire career. His experience may very well have supported his position but suggesting that others are lying when their experiences are different is generally not a good approach to selling, at least in my industry. I tried to share what I thought were legitimate sources that supported my view that Sequoia's can be ordered with option packages other than those listed as the "common option packages" on the Toyota website.

Who knows, maybe Mack will try to meet a future customer's requested needs instead of trying to force them into a configuration that was more convenient for the dealership..
    You should have no trouble getting any Sequoia you want without skid pads, wheel locks, cargo cover or first aid kit as these are all dealer installed options. If a dealer requires you to take these items, I would immediately be suspect and find a quick exit. If OTOH the dealership is suggesting you should consider these options because they are offering a great discount if you buy them at the time of the vehicle pruchase, I would take the time to hear them out. Otherwise IMO they're just trying to find a way to reach deeper into your pocket.

I'm really no expert on the delivery time, particularly this early in the manufacturing of a new model where they are probably keeping the line at a modest production level in order to correct any issues before they get out the door or at least to minimize the # of vehicles on the road if an issue is discovered.

All I can really share is that my dealer said that according to his ordering system there are some delays on Red Rock interiors and he was unsure if it was the manufacturing process or that there are more orders for this interior than original planned. If you assume that Toyota was planning on 60,000 Sequoias this year and they meet their goal of 10% Platinums and 20% of the Platinums are ordered with Red Rock, that would mean they need to produce 1200 interiors with this color leather. With such a small # of RR interiors, a couple 100 one way or the other might have an impact on their manufacturing plans for such a small run of leather.

I have to agree with your assessment of Toyota not offering at least one dark colored interior other than RR with a dark carpet. Having had light colored interiors in a family utility vehicle like the Sequoia, you're asking for a dingy interior down the road with either grey or beige carpeting. That was one of the motivations for me in choosing the Red Rock interior which comes with black carpeting. Not much you can do about the beige or grey carpeting other than keep a dust buster handy in the garage before small spills become dingy carpeting.
  • buyer4suvbuyer4suv Member Posts: 26
    Not sure which forum this belongs in but thought I 'd pass along my final decision after having researched and test driven the Sequoia a lot...

I ended up buying the Tahoe....decided against the Sequoia for a few reasons: louder than the Tahoe, toyota satellite radio to use in-dash satellite functions costs $550 , remote start by Toyota is $650. I got a loaded Tahoe (lt3 package) with gps for $41.2k - about $2k less than a comparable sequoia without gps.

Also factoring into my decision was the overall size of the Toyota and the plastic dash. I could barely reach the scan function on the radio and I'm 6' tall! The trade off for me was the 3rd row doesn't fold flat in the Chevy but I'll just remove the seats if I need to. Still the Toyota is a very good vehicle but the price point and features weren't where I needed them to be even though I was getting quotes at $1k over invoice on the Sequoia.
    Since you been in sales also you will agree there are bad salespeople and good salespeople. Bad salespeople lie, cheat, and steal from customers and fellow salesman. I've seen them all in my tenure.
    Selling what's in stock if the first rule of sales. We don't get paid on "mind deals" or future orders until the vehicle is on the road burning gas. I do try to meet customers need to the extent that's within my power. I have no control over the factory or distributors. In fact I have a few cars on "order" ;) right now scheduled for delivery to the dealership in mid Feb. You should try selling Toyotas for at least a couple of years then you would understand.
    "Who knows, maybe Mack will try to meet a future customer's requested needs instead of trying to force them into a configuration that was more convenient for the dealership.."
    As a salesperson I ask customers what is important to them and find the right product for them. There's no such thing as "what's more convenient for the dealership" we are there to serve customers needs. I didn't becoma a Toyota Master Sales consultant by steering customers to cars they don't want or had a "spiff" on them.
    :shades:
    Have you sat in a black leather interior car in the summer when the temp outside is 105 degrees? or cloth for that matter. Black interiors don't sell very well.
    And the reason I got "peeved" at you is that I don't like to be misquoted or words put in my mouth. Let's call a truce and start from scratch.
    Mack

• vernschillingevernschillinge Member Posts: 66
    I know the Platinum has a power tilt and telescoping steering column. Question is, does the steering column automatically move out of the way when the key is removed from the ignition? This is a feature I've seen in the GX470, didn't know if the Sequoia does the same. Thanks.
    It moves. Nice feature.
    My guess is that you're actually a pretty conscientious sales rep for Toyota just based on the fact that you spend time on a forum like this trying to learn more about customer's needs, latest findings on the products you're selling and how the competition compares. All good things which are probably a small indicator of how you achieved the status of Master Sales Consultant.

I would also guess that the vast majority of Toyota reps could care less about this type of forum which is at least evident in the minimal knowledge of the Sequoia that I've found in the reps I've dealt with to date. I have to say that in my experience, GM sales reps selling trucks and SUVs have had far greater technical knowledge of their products than the Toyota reps I've interacted with. I've not spoken with a single sales Toyo rep yet that has any clue about the rear diff in the new Sequoia and whether its open or not (its open with electronic torque distribution) or that it has a Torsen ctr LSD (which it does). These types of technical questions are pretty easily handled by most Chevy and GMC Truck/SUV sales reps. Toyota has a long way to go in the area of technical training of their sales reps IMO.

While your loyalty to Toyota is an admirable quality, too much of a good thing can work against you. Take that 2-bit advice for what its worth (which may be nothing).
    " ended up buying the Tahoe....decided against the Sequoia for a few reasons: louder than the Tahoe, toyota satellite radio to use in-dash satellite functions costs $550 , remote start by Toyota is $650. I got a loaded Tahoe (lt3 package) with gps for $41.2k - about $2k less than a comparable sequoia without gps. "

I think you're going to be very pleased with the Tahoe. My past 100K miles with a Denali XL have been surprisingly positive with no regrets whatsoever. As a past owner of multiple GM SUVs I was surveyed for input into their current product line. I made it very simple in my survey response.

Make the 3rd row fold flat - manually or electronically - I didn't care.
    Make the 2nd row fold flat - manually or electronically
    Design at least an additional 4-6 inches into the 2nd row leg room when the driver's seat is set for a 6'+ driver.
    Get rid of On-Star and give me blue-tooth. or give me BT technology with On-Star. Either way I don't need my cell phone company trying to sell me a car and I don't need my car company trying to sell me cell phone service.

Had they made these changes to their full size suv line, I'm pretty sure I'd still be in a GM, since I prefer the look of the GM interior. I find the exterior of both the Sequoia and Denali equally attractive.

Overall Toyota beat them to the punch which is hard to believe since they've had since 2001 to get the latest revamp right and they missed the mark by alot. That's why I'll soon be in a Platinum Sequoia. I still think you'll be happy with the value and the quality of your new Tahoe...good luck!
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    I don't think there's any other minivan with this interior size. Handling a sheet of plywood may not be on everyone's "needs" list, but it is an interesting way to compare interior cargo capacities. Anyone know if there's any other vehicles other than the one's I mentioned that can handle a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood lying flat inside as cargo with all doors closed?

There's always the Nissan Quest

GP
    Of course.....I should have known...the Toyota website couldn't be correct because only Mack the Car Salesman knows the "true reality". Boy.... am I glad I bought from the dealership I did.

Wow this is true comedy... You'll figure it out sooner or later :cry:

GP
    I would also guess that the vast majority of Toyota reps could care less about this type of forum which is at least evident in the minimal knowledge of the Sequoia that I've found in the reps I've dealt with to date. I have to say that in my experience, GM sales reps selling trucks and SUVs have had far greater technical knowledge of their products than the Toyota reps I've interacted with. I've not spoken with a single sales Toyo rep yet that has any clue about the rear diff in the new Sequoia and whether its open or not (its open with electronic torque distribution) or that it has a Torsen ctr LSD (which it does). These types of technical questions are pretty easily handled by most Chevy and GMC Truck/SUV sales reps. Toyota has a long way to go in the area of technical training of their sales reps IMO.

The main reason for that is Toyo's basically sell themselves so you'll find that a lot reps are new and inexperienced..

Where as GM reps have probably been selling them for awhile and are depending on their repeat business and referals. Also most people buying Toyotas are buying cars ( Camry / corrolla) compared to GM's biggest market is their trucks. You also really need to be a salesman and know your product in the GM market. Just my 2 cents.

Also on your ordered vehicle I would be a little skeptical meaning that the dealer you are dealing with may be trying to take you off the market hoping you'll give up and buy what is available in your market.

I hope though for arguments sake that your vehicle does come in...

GP
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    take the sales talk over to CONSIDERATE Salespeople & CONSIDERATE Buyers or one of the other discussions in the Smart Shopper board, and get back to the pros and cons of the 08 Sequoia in here.

thanks!
    3 of our last 4 interiors have been black leather and we live in the humid mid-Atlantic with a summer place in the very humid/tropic-like locale of Hilton Head, SC. The other interior was light grey leather. There is no comparison in the wear factor or the ease of keeping a black interior cleaner compared to a lighter one. I'll take having to take a damp cloth to a black interior any day over having to scrub out stains out of a lighter interior.

As far as the heat factor, I won't call it a myth, but it seems greatly exaggerated to us. Granted, our vehicles stay in a shaded garage any time that they are not being driven, but we don't feel a noticeable difference when our vehicles are out (compared to ligher interior ones- whether parents, friends, etc), either at work or when out doing errands. We do tint them all, so that might help, but again, we don't see the issue of black interiors being appreciably hotter.

As far as a "truce" being called....no problem. I never was at war with you here. Just the opposite, I believe that you bring a very keen perspective as a Toyota insider. Similarly, many of us bring vital perspectives as outside consumers, many from different parts of the country, who are typically looking at the marketplace with a very objective and open view.

Perhaps we all need to read our posts a second/third time before posting them to consider how they "read" to others?
    "Also on your ordered vehicle I would be a little skeptical meaning that the dealer you are dealing with may be trying to take you off the market hoping you'll give up and buy what is available in your market."

You could be right but I don't think so. The dealer told me upfront before I even visited the dealership that delivery wasn't likely to mid-Feb. (now delayed to mid-March) The dealership was also the only one to quote in an email the exact price for the vehicle and a detailed breakdown of all taxes, title and dealer costs for the purchase.

They also know that time doesn't matter to me since I'm in a vehicle I currently like (but with high mileage and due for replacement). So while its possible I might get strung along, no other dealer can get me what I want in my area any sooner, so he has no motivation to make me wait any longer than necessary.

As Mack pointed out, my ordered vehicle is really nothing out-of-the-ordinary. Its just a Platinum with RR interior. So if I'm delayed in taking delivery, my guess is so are most other buyers of a RR Platinum.
    Expanding on what Greanpea said, it's always a good idea to add a provision to your sales contract that if the vehicle is not ready for delivery by a date certain, you have the option to have the order cancelled and your deposit returned in full within 24 hours after being requested. Otherwise you risk the stealer (mistake intended) stringing you out indefinitely.
    I think one of your posts mentioned Caldwell Toyota. Are you in NJ also? If yes, which dealer did you order the car from?
    As Mack pointed out, my ordered vehicle is really nothing out-of-the-ordinary. Its just a Platinum with RR interior. So if I'm delayed in taking delivery, my guess is so are most other buyers of a RR Platinum.

Blieve me i hope that is the case. I do hope things work out for you. But being in sales i have seen it happen before... but I have also seen it go through from time to time.

Good Luck

GP
  • buyer4suvbuyer4suv Member Posts: 26

# Make the 3rd row fold flat - manually or electronically - I didn't care.
    # Make the 2nd row fold flat - manually or electronically
    # Design at least an additional 4-6 inches into the 2nd row leg room when the driver's seat is set for a 6'+ driver.
    # Get rid of On-Star and give me blue-tooth. or give me BT technology with On-Star. Either way I don't need my cell phone company trying to sell me a car and I don't need my car company trying to sell me cell phone service.

I agree with your points...I personally hate onstar but the fact that I can now add my phone service for only $10 a month is a big plus...not perfect but better...now i need to remember to forward my calls to that number....if this proves to be an issue, I'll buy a 2nd gps with bluetooth - they are reportedly very good.

regardless, the toyota is a very nice vehicle...One other thing factored into my decision...I've read so many negative comments about the dash that I think Toyota will change it for '09...at least the look. So I didn't want to get stuck with the "ugly duckling" model year which would affect its resale value...for those that like the dash, great...but I felt that I was making a big sacrifice in an expensive vehicle.

fwiw, I think the gas mileage may be better in the Toyota if the trip computers of both vehicles are accurate...by about 2 MPG based on the quick loops I did.
    Yes.... I was the one that posted the info on Caldwell Toyota. This is the dealer I purchased my Platinum Sequoia from 2 days after it was launched . They sold it to me at $1000 over factory invoice plus $149 for doc fees ($5250 off MSRP). No other extras other than the typical taxes, title and registration.

Given that they put this deal together during the week of the vehicle's launch in Dec., I'm very satisfied with both the discount and the knowledgable service they provided. I also appreciated that they they had the paperwork ready when I arrived and no effort to try and push "extras" on me at the time of the signing. They were also very upfront on the time of delivery and that they have stayed in touch as the order is updated in their ordering system.
    "I agree with your points...I personally hate onstar but the fact that I can now add my phone service for only $10 a month is a big plus...not perfect but better...now i need to remember to forward my calls to that number....if this proves to be an issue, I'll buy a 2nd gps with bluetooth - they are reportedly very good."

Seems like a ripoff to me to pay GM $120/yr just so I can use my cell phone in their vehicle. I predict they will eventually have to surrender and put BT technology so that owners can use their cell phones hands-free through the sound system. Seems like both a financial and legal liability to not offer BT while every other manufacturer offers it in most of the vehicle models.

But as usual GM is behind both their competitors and their customers on key technology and design features. Too bad.