Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Mack:

The LS is not based on the Camry. The Camry is a front-wheel drive platform. The LS460/LS600H are based on a different, rear-drive platform. The Lexus ES is front-wheel drive and is, indeed, based on the Camry.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    LS460/460l/600hL : Toyota Celsior
    GS350/460: Toyota Aristo
    ES350: Toyota Windom (the Camry is the same platform sold here)
    IS250/350: Toyota Altezza
    RX350/450h: Toyota Harrier
    LX470: Toyota Landcruiser Amazon (sold here)
    GX470: Toyota Landcruiser Colorado (the 4runner is a different body on the same platform sold here)
    SC430: Toyota Soarer
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "LX is a Landcruiser/Sequoia."

Mack, I know you're an expert on Toyota's however other than the engine and drivetrain there is very little in common between the Sequoia and LC/LX platform. They have entirely different exterior dimensions, wheelbases, capacities and interior dimensions. One of the biggest differences is that the LC/LX still uses a solid rear axle while the new Sequoia has been upgraded to an independent rear suspension. The Sequoia is made in the US while the LC/LX models are all made in Japan, which to a large extent explains why the LC is so much more expensive than a Sequoia.

One of the other big differences is cost. With the $ to Yen exchange rate the cost to build an LC/LX is far greater than a Sequoia which shows up on the MSRP.
    "In your pictures I note there appears to be a large floor "mat" covering the full rear. Was this standard with the Platinum or was it an accessory ? I purchased a couple of mats from Home Depot to protect the rear but would prefer something that would fit better. I don't see anything in Toyota accessories for this item. "

I ordered the "Accessories Package" with my Sequoia. This package from the dealer includes mats for all 3 rows plus the tri-fold cargo mat that works great with the 3rd folded down or up. The package also includes a first aid kit which fits very nicely in the bottom of the 2nd row console. It also included a cargo net for the rear and door sill protectors for all 4 doorways. Seemed a reasonable deal for a couple hundred bucks.
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    Ok Thanks for the info. When I bought the vehicle, the dealer included the mats for all three rows but didn't mention anything about the trifold mat.
    I will check with them to see if it is available here.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Ok,. let me clarify. The Camry was based on the Japanese Crown, the big Camry/Crown became a an LS back in 1988 if I recall. Just about everything Toyota/Lexus makes as far as four doors is concerned are based off the same platform.
    Mack
    You're right. What I was trying to show is the similarities in features between the LX570 and the Platinum Sequoia. Very minor differences as far as the drivetrain is concerned. 2 more hp and lb-ft torque on the Lexus.
    Mack
    If gas prices keep going higher I don't see any "refresh" or re-designs. Time to bring the hybrids, otherwise the big SUV as we know it will disappear.
    Mack
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    ratomlinson: You must use those clips otherwise you risk the mat bunching up under the gas pedal and you will get unintended acceleration when it sticks.
  • keg97keg97 Member Posts: 189
    What features are similar btwn the two beyond the powertrain?
  • lou88lou88 Member Posts: 12
    I just visited a couple of local Toyota dealers in central NJ, and found each 4WD SR5 Sequoia comes with the towing package, I asked the salespersons if this package can be deleted since I really don't need it for transporting people...
    They claimed that I have no other choice but keeping it if I want to buy the truck from the dealer's lots. Is it true ????????

Any input is appreciated.

Lou
    Similarities between the Lexus LX570 and Platinum Sequoia.

1. abs. brake assist, electronic brake distribution, traction control, stability control.
    2. active suspension
    3. front driver and passenger heated and ventilated seats
    4. power folding third row seat
    5. heated outside mirrors, auto dimming with reverse tilt
    6. power tilt and telescope steering wheel
    7. homelink transmitter
    8. exterior entry lights
    9. driver's memory seat, mirrors and steering wheel

Mack
    The tow hitch receiver is part of an option package. Ask them to locate a vehicle without it. You can also go to www.buyatoyota.com and "build" your Sequoia. Tell them you want option package "a" or "b" which don't have to tow package. If they look at you like you're from outer space just tell them to go to that site. You will be amazed how many Toyota "salespersons" don't know how to use the site. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Mack
    :shades:
    Mack,

Thank you for the information. For the trucks already on the dealer's lots, is it possible to ask the dealer to remove the tow hitch receiver to save $600 ???
    I am not sure if the price is still the same (as the one sitting on lots) if I ask the dealer to locate one without TO package...it become a sort of special order.
    Thanks again,

Lou
  • ccooke70ccooke70 Member Posts: 31
    Hopefully a dealer will see this and can make the suggestion or offer an add on that will address this.

I love my platinum sequoia. However, I have found one issue I would like to report. I wish Toyota would have offered a keychain button that would roll down the back window. I have ran into times where I would have liked to access the back through the window instead of raising the hatch. It would be nice if this was accessible form the key fob buttong. I am going to check with the local car stereo / car mod shop to see if this is something they can make happen.
    Although there is no function on the key fob. Try the key itself and turn left and hold it. If nothing happens then turn right and hold it. Make sure all locks are disabled. You can roll down the tailgate window with the key.
    Mack
    Any factory option that's listed on the Monroney sticker cannot be removed from the vehicle. What you may want to do is ask them to take another $1000.00 off the price of the vehicle. They may come back with another $500.00 . Make it so that it offsets the price of the tow pack. And if you ever sell it or trade it you will get more for it. Usually 4wd buyers also tow with their vehicles.
    Mack
  • dudelyfoodudelyfoo Member Posts: 1
    AS if buying this gas guzzling beast of waste has nothing to do with image. SUV's, Trucks, and other mammoth V8s ARE the "image" of many of today's utterly selfish drivers. In case you didn't notice, the Prius is a fuel efficient economy car... it's not about image, it's about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Whoever thinks 14 MPG is efficient needs to WAKE UP!

Thanks for wasting America!
    You can keep your Prius. I was out enjoying my Holiday weekend using my Sequoia to tow my "wasteful" boat for a great day on the water with family and friends and I also used it to tow my son's and my "wasteful" dirt motorcycles for an afternoon of riding on this same weekend.

I can only assume you're not from America based on your remark. Much of the environmental claims against SUVs are really camoflauged (poorly I might add) claims against an American lifestyle that enables us to enjoy the output of our labors by spending our earnings on recreation like dirt bike riding, boating, snowmobiling, traveling our country, RVing etc. that are not enjoyed by the rest of the world. Face it..... the claims against the SUV are as much a demonstration of the envy of others as they are outrage at waste.

I for one intend to continue enjoying the fruits of my labor by enjoying uniquely American recreational activities such as boating, RVing, motorcycling, snowmobiling etc. I'll be damned if I'm going to diminish the enjoyment my family and friends get from these types of "wasteful" recreational activities that require a large SUV such as my Sequoia, just so some non-American with less means than myself will no longer consider me "non-wasteful".

I suppose I should also sell my large house, my collectible car, my boat, motorcyle, pool, large screen TVs and everything else not enjoyed by the rest of the world so that we Americans can be perceived as "efficient" by the rest of the world. If you think I'm gonna live in squalor just so the 99% of the ROW doesn't think I'm wasteful...you can forget it.

IMO, it wouldn't matter what Americans do or don't do, the rest of the world will always be envious and in some respects seek revenge against Americans because we find ways to enjoy the fruits of our labor that the majority of the world can only dream about.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is not the place to engage in the political debate about environment and lifestyle. There are other Forums dedicated to those issues. Let's stick to discussing the Sequoia and the test.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kduahkduah Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody hear a very audible buzzing noise from the transmission area under the vehicle whenever the ignition is turned on (but engine not started). I have 4X4 Limited and it has this noise. If you want to check it, turn the ignition on and listen from under the car. I checked few Sequoias on dealers' lot but they don't have this (sometime) high pitched noise.
    "I have a 2007 Tundra, and although there isnt a specific VSC off button, you can still shut it down completely. You first, push the traction control button off, then right after that, hold it again for about 5 seconds. The VSC off light should appear right next to the traction control light. This procedure must be done when when the car is stopped."

I tried pressing the VSC button on my 2008 Sequoia while underway and it displayed on my dash that it was turned off. It would appear you do not need to be stopped in the 08 Sequoia to turn the VSC off.
    You have too much time on your hands. ;)
    "This is not the place to engage in the political debate about environment and lifestyle."

While I understand and agree that the Sequoia forum is not the place for an environmental debate, I would have thought "lifestyle" would have been a very important discussion point. The degree to which the 08 Sequoia meets the needs of its owner is likely to be directly related to the lifestyle of the owner. ie towing of all types of trailers, passenger hauling, cargo moving, comfort features...aren't these all lifestyle factors for deciding if the new 08 Sequoia is the best vehicle for your needs?
    Mackabee:
    I don't get what you mean by "too much time on your hands" The noise is loud such that a friend of mine who wanted to buy a 2008 Sequoia has decided to wait to see what may be wrong with my vehicle. The noise has been verified by two toyota dealerships but they don't know the cause(s) or what to do.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would have thought "lifestyle" would have been a very important discussion point.

My statement was qualified appropriately. Lifestyle as it relates to politics is not the topic here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    In all likelyhood it is your self leveling suspension activating when you turn your key to the "on" position. The sound can be quite disturbing first time around. Usually you'll get so used to it that you won't even notice it after a month or so.

If the Sequoia you listened to didn't make the sound then it probably doesn't have the auto leveling option. Makes me wonder what kind of techs those Toyota dealerships have.
    Thanks, but mine has option D which doesn't include the auto-leveling option.
    Agreed, thanks for the clarification.
    Does someone know if the gas tank is made of steel or plastic ?
    I just read some news regarding people stealing gas by drilling a hole at the truck's plastic gas tank. As a potential 08 Toyota Sequoia's owner, I am a little bit concerned about it..
  • tsfantsfan Member Posts: 20
    You actuall do NOT drill any hole at all. 08 Sequoia does NOT have lock for the gas tank opener, so anyone can open your gas tank anytime.
  • tsfantsfan Member Posts: 20
    My Limited 4X4 also has noise when ignition is on but engine not started. but the noise (sounds like little wind blowing through or speaker noise) coming from front passengers side somewhere around glove box. I have not got chance to see dealer yet.
    I hear the same noise like a blowing fan or speaker noise from the front passenger side when the ignition is on. Do you hear any noise from the transmission under the vehicle when the ignition is on?
  • robertnrobertn Member Posts: 1
    Where did it go? My Limited has a plunger type switch to turn it off/on
    but the hole in the left side of the box where the light should be is empty. The Toyota CS say it's not there. Still can't believe that a 50K plus vechile doesn't have a box light when all is there but the housing.
    Does a Platinum have a light?
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    It's time to take the Sequoia in for service. The only problem we have noted was that the Low Fuel Level warning comes on when there is still 5+ gallons on gas left in the tank. I was wondering if anyone else has had this fixed and what did they do to fix the "problem". Actually this is not much of a problem when you consider the number of things that could go wrong with a new SUV.
    I think the engineers purposely did this to ensure you don't run out of gas while driving. On most Toyota sedans the light comes on when the tank is at around 2 gallons. First it will fade in and out then when it's really time to pull into the gas station the light will stay on.
    Mack
  • penaddict1penaddict1 Member Posts: 10
    Hi, I have the Limited 2x2 Sequoia with about 500 miles on it. With AC on low temp, it usually takes about 15 minutes before I get any cold air. Does anybody experience the same problem? I will take it into service tomorrow to check it out.
    Mike
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Call Toyota at 800 331 4331 to report missing addresses. The discrepancies are forwarded to the map suppliers to investigate.
    I got the answer to the AC problem after taking it to service. They said that I only have about 1/2 lbs of freon in the system and this is why it took so long before I got any cold air. They brought it up to about over 2 lbs of freon. They did not detect any leaks so it must be QA problem or my truck really has a undetectable leak.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Was the A/C working correctly when you first bought the truck? Maybe they simply didn't add the correct amount of freon at the factory?
    I don't think it was working correctly or I did not pay attention or think about it until recently. I only had the truck for about 2 weeks and the weather just started getting hot for the past few days. Hopefully, the reason like you said, they did not add enough freon at the factory.
    Mike
  • dansgaragedansgarage Member Posts: 11
    Checked the Consumer Reports list for 'reliability' and the (2008) 2x is rated ABOVE AVG. but the 4x4 is rated WORSE THAN AVG. Does anyone know "WHY"???is it the 4x4 differential or what?
    Thanks all!
    Dan
    We had a small problem with the 07 Tundra which the Sequoia is based on. There were a very small number of trucks that the engine had a malfunction due to defective parts from the supplier. Toyota immediately switched supplier and the problem was fixed. The affected trucks got a new engine and full manufacturer's warranty. I think CR sometimes overreacts with their ratings. They did the same thing with the 07 Camry v6 which they did not recommend but the 4 cylinder they did.
    Mack
    The cost from this place(www.bernardiwarranty.com) is very good . Did someone ever purchase ..???
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    My laser that controls the distance my Sequoia keeps between me and the car ahead while using cruise control kicks off whenever I get in heavy rain.
    Is there any way to disable the laser completly and still use the cruise control in these type situations?
  • ccooke70ccooke70 Member Posts: 31
    Press the button to engage the cruize control. Now push the cruize control lever forward toward the dash and hold it there until the readout says "normal"(I think). At that point, the radar is turned off until you turn cruize off and on again.
  • rtribblertribble Member Posts: 45
    Thanks, I'll give it a try the next time it happens.
  • nobulenobule Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2008 Sequoia SR5 10 days ago. I discovered two rust spots under the third row seat on the metal frame that anchors the seat to the floor. The spots are isolated from each other and are about 10 mm-20 mm in length. The rust appears on two corroded spots on the metal and does not appear to come up through the floor. The rust is not near the area of the bolt that anchors the seat to the floor--it is about 6 inches up the frame from that spot. There is no evidence of leak, spill, or water damage. Since this is a brand new vehicle, I am wondering if this corrosion is from the manufacturing of the seat frame. Any thoughts on what could cause this rust and any advice on what to do? Should I ask the dealer to replace the whole seat?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Is it surface rust or something that has penetrated the metal? Either way you should let the dealer take a look at it and have them make suggestions as to how to proceed. If you're not satisfied with their recommendations there are other avenues to pursue but you should really give the dealer an opportunity to correct it.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Whoa. You should never use cruise control in any rain or slippery condition. You could end up going too fast for the conditions, and once a spin starts you're just along for the ride.

I'd suspect a sensor is detecting wheel slippage and deactivating the cruise control.