Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Sequoia

Comments

• trebor129trebor129 Member Posts: 176
    Um, they have Limiteds listed for over $60K. More than the MSRP of a Platinum with every option. WTF. I guess they have their 'additional dealer markup' fees.
  • daallisodaalliso Member Posts: 16
    I think they have the Platinums listed as Limiteds. The base price show $55,600 for a 4x4 and that's the Platinum MSRP pricing.

You would think for one of Toyota's most expensive vehicles, they would have a little better quality control on their web sites..... :)
    Strange. You cannot order a black Platinum with black leather interior. But that is what mine is. The dealer claimed it was limited/special even for a Platinum, and he may be correct.
  • sinecuresinecure Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I are considering both the 2007 and 2008 Limited. It looks like the 2008 has significant improvements, but the 2007 is still a fine machine. Would a 2007 Limited at a steep discount (a thousand or so below invoice) and, perhaps, other incentives, be a better buy than a 2008 at a couple thousand over invoice? We'll probably have the vehicle about 10 years (presently driving a 95 Avalon we purchased new; now broken in at 235k).
    That dealer has $400 in fees. My dealer charges $280 in fees (including inspection sticker, new plate, running to the registry, full tank of gas, etc). I though that was a lot as it seemed like a $180 value at best. $400 is a real lot though. And that is on top of destination/dealer prep fee.
  • healthnuthealthnut Member Posts: 64
    I think the new vehicle has so many new refinements I wouldn't buy the old model again. I owned it for 5 years and that was long enough. If anything, wait a month or two when you will be able to get the 2008 model at $500.00 - $1,000.00 over invoice...
  • jci1jci1 Member Posts: 34
    Check here for 2008 Sequoia pricing, site offers both list and dealer invoice plus what they will sell them for...

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/search.asp?lstMake=TOYOTA

Just scroll down to Sequoia and click the go button

2008's are selling for $1500 over invoice.
    When they say 'Delivered Internet Price' do they mean delivered to my house in any state in the country?
  • rivhernrivhern Member Posts: 3
    I have driven both vehicles daily and would definitely go with the 2008. Drives soooo much better. The old model was so out dated. The new one is awesome.
  • toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
    Test drive both and then decide. At this point, I would pick the 08 hands down....
  • rivhernrivhern Member Posts: 3
    The remote start is worth getting when the vehicle is ordered. They would install it at the Vehicle Distribution Center, where everything is done the Toyota way, the right way :-)
    The dealer I bought mine from got their first 2008 today -- a white Limited with every option or nearly so. The window sticker was $56K. I liked it. The exterior looked good. The 20 inch wheels were just the right size. I did not mind the silver dash thought the silver gear-selector lever would have been better black. In any case, it was nothing that would keep me from buying it. Mine is expected in on Wed.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tire-12/Bridgestone/Dueler+H%252FL.shtml

These are the tires it had (New England).

They seem well rated on Tire Rack.
    My Slate Grey Platinum is coming in later this week. I will need to transport it From East coast to west coast.... Does anyone have an auto transporter thay can recommend as well as avoid...

Thank-you!
    Did you buy it on the East Coast because you got a lower price? The transport might be a lot. I guess you got $3000 off MSRP but if a local dealer even gave $1500 off MSRP I think it would be equal.
  • de77de77 Member Posts: 40
    Toyota reimburses the dealer for the full tank so don't count that.
    Well, let's put it this way: I saved more than the transprt cost in state taxes alone. The main reason was because I wanted a fully loaded Platinum in Slate color and that was the only place that had one coming in before the end of the year which was a requirement for me.

So does anyone have a recommendation on transport companies? Also anyone to avoid?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking your dealer for recommendations - they probably swap cars all the time with other dealers and flatbed them now and then. And we have a Car Transport Companies discussion.

Re sales taxes - won't you have to pay those when you register the car in your home state?
    I know in my state I would have to pay sales tax when I register it. Maybe some states don't do that?

Has anyone noticed the way the Toyota got the 2008 Sequoia to have fold-in-the-floor seats was that they don't fold into the floor but just fold flat and they simply raised the floor after the 3rd row so it does not look obvious?

This is really no different than the 2007 Sequoia except now they have less room inside due to raising the inside floor up to the seat level. I am not sure that did anything but hide the problem. In some minivans the seats really go *into* the floor.

Overall I like it better though, but it is not like the seats drop down.
  • gananganan Member Posts: 20
    I use my 2001 Limited for hauling recreational equipment including bikes. I took out the third row seats and tumble up the second row to get a large flat space with sufficient height to stand up a bike.
    I am interested in the 2008 Limited or Platinum but am concerned about the loss of height and space due to new seating style.

Can you take out the third row seats ? If so, would there be a flat space ?
    Do the second row seats have the ability to tumble up in addition to folding flat ?

Also,

Can you order Remote Start with the Limited model ?
    Can you order 2nd row bench with Platinum model ? I know there has been discussion on this item but don't beleive there has been a definitive answer to date.
  • kush2kush2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know if the box in the middle row of the captain's chairs is removable? I'm really interested in this car but would like to get to the third row from between the captains chairs. I was in one yesterday and it didn't look like it could be removed. Kind of defeats the purpose of captains chairs in my opinion.

Thanks.
    Healthnut, what state will you be registering the vehicle in? I can't believe they don't assess sales tax upon registration of the vehicle.

As far as auto transporters, I would be nervous if I were you. I would recommend paying extra for an enclosed trailer. I would also request that the dealer leave annd of the plastic film, etc. on the vehicle for the transport. Good luck.

My dealer got in 2 Platinums today - both in the pearl white color with Oak interior. I am going to wait until the frenzy dies down a little and get the exact colors and options that I want.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    Saw my first Sequoia on the road in LA today...granted it was at night but it still looked pretty good. I guess the dealers are starting to get them now! :)
    Yes, you can remove the console between the captain's chairs. I saw a Limited with 2nd-row captain's chairs and there was no console in place at the time.

I have not seen a way to order a Platinum with a 2nd row bench as it comes standard and there is no such think as bench being an 'option.'
    http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_0802_toty_winner

Tundra wins truck of the year. That will help give the Sequoia a boost also.
    http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/index.html

Finally the 2008 is updated on the website.
    The 5.7 liter is about $1100 more. Or I should say that the 4.7 is about $1100 less since the 5.7 seems 'standard' and you will have to special order a 4.7. Toyota thinks 90% of people will get the 5.7 and with a price difference that low, I can see why. After all, to gain that much power in a Mercedes you have to spend about $10K extra for the larger engine (for example, to go from an E350 to an E550 - 268 HP to 382 HP).
  • kush2kush2 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response. I'm wondering if the Platinum edition is different. The switches for the heated seats are on the console. I noticed on the toyota site that the Limited doesn't have heated captains chairs. This could be an issue. I hope it's not.
    What interior color is LD21?

My dealer said it is black leather, but there is no black offered on the 'build it' site. So either it will come in as gray, or it is a special black you cannot normally order.

http://cars.overstock.com/detail.php?vid=14252603

I see this Tundra has LD21 and it is listed as 'black' so perhaps my dealer is right and I have a special rare color.
    I was thinking the LB21 must be the Red Rock color.
  • sirrafsirraf Member Posts: 55
    With the Sequoia being a new product was anyone considering an purchasing extended warranty? If so, which is the best extended warranty?
    Remember when Homer was losing brain cells and over time got more and more stupid? At his final stage of regression, he said "Extended Warranty! Here I come!"

If it did not work out so that they collected more money than they paid out, they would not offer it.
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    I got a chance to see the new 2008 here in Utah. I really liked the looks but didn't have enough time to drive or check inside. The 2008 was a LTD and was pretty much loaded with dvd, nav etc. and was stickered at $55k. Even though my 2002 SR5 isn't quite as fancy, I'm having a hard time justifying the $13k difference in price. I've enjoyed my Sequoia but have had the typical issues ie. rear window, rear hatch handle and vsc light. I'll definitely wait to track reliability and see how much discount is given.
    Personally, I would not buy a new model of any car, Toyota or not. I think buying any new model is not a good idea, certainly not the first year. I also have some things at issue with my 2004 4runner but that does not mean I am going to rush out and buy a new Sequoia (or any other vehicle for that matter). Maybe in a few years when I can see some of the customer reviews and reliability feedback. Personally i can't see how they justify charging $56,000 for a Platinum. I've seen the interior of the new Sequoia; it is not that refined, compared to some of the other models (the Mercedes GL450, for example or the Audi Q7). For that kind of money, i'd rather buy a Landcruiser or new Lexus LX570. That at least would be worth plunking down 60k. And even more so considering how ugly the new Sequoia is compared to the '07. But who knows? Maybe Toyota will redesign it in a year or two and make it more upscale.
    "For that kind of money, i'd rather buy a Landcruiser or new Lexus LX570. That at least would be worth plunking down 60k."

A Landcrusier is $76,000 MSRP -- more than $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option added to it. And that is for a smaller vehicle. So the Sequoia is plenty discounted for the fact that it is not as luxurious inside.

As for the GL450 -- I wanted one but I went to see it and it was too small for my needs. Likewise, it was $76,000 -- also $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option. Again, for a smaller vehicle.

So I maintain that the Platinum is perfectly refined for a $50,000+ vehicle. It is just not refined compared to a $76,000 vehicle.
    Edmunds now has 2008 data.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    Sequoia is based on Tundra hence some learning curve is already there. Sequoia is also a yr to two yr late for its new model hence they must have done their homework pretty well. Very rarely a new vehicle changes shape except for in 4-runner they discontinued the plastic siding and bumpers with color-matched after the first yr. I will not expect any changes in Seq for atleast 4 yrs. May be minor issues for which they will issue TSB and fix it in next yr model.
  • asif1asif1 Member Posts: 49
    The picture does not do justice with actual sequoia, it looks much better in real. I was under the impression that it is front heavy and tail lights are not jiving with front but in reality it looks pretty well balanced inside out. Also the plastic inside is not massive. when you increase the interior space, you have to fill it up too.

For first gen sequoia it always looked like big suv with small tires. i always liked even that one better in reality.
    Could not agree more about the following:

A Landcrusier is $76,000 MSRP -- more than $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option added to it. And that is for a smaller vehicle. So the Sequoia is plenty discounted for the fact that it is not as luxurious inside.

As for the GL450 -- I wanted one but I went to see it and it was too small for my needs. Likewise, it was $76,000 -- also $16,000 more than a Platinum with every option. Again, for a smaller vehicle.

So I maintain that the Platinum is perfectly refined for a $50,000+ vehicle. It is just not refined compared to a $76,000 vehicle.

If you want a *full size* SUV, the Sequoia remains the best choice on the market bar none in my opinion. If you can deal with a smaller, more mid size SUV, you have tons of good/better options... For full size, there really isn't any other good choice in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed with the loss in internal cubic volume. Even though fold flat seats are convenient, I, like the other person, like the ability to REMOVE them for increased storage.

I need to call some transport companies still. My Slate Platinum is due in any day...

(That Mercedez is way too small...)
    $76k? The website says $63k- or is that not a fully loaded LandCruiser? In any event, maybe $56k isn't a bad price, considering the Denali is close to 60k already..i still maintain that the old styling was nicer looking, regardless of price.
    $63K is stripped without the dvd player, leather steering wheel and shift knob, back up camera, steering controls for audio, cruise control, navigation, etc. A loaded Sequoia has all that stuff, so to compare apples to apples, you need to price the Land Cruiser with options and compare MSRPs of each. And when you do, the Land Cruiser is $16K more and that is for a smaller vehicle. So really, if the Sequoia had the Land Cruiser's quality and Japanese assembly, it would have to be about $20K more due to it being larger. So if you wanted Toyota to build that, they would have had to price it about $80K to keep their product line in perspective. I feel that a $16K drop in price below the Land Cruiser for a fully loaded Platinum Sequoia is more than fair in exchange for the less cushy interior.
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    I drove a 08' Limited today for an hour on the highway and in the city. Here is my take:
    Pros:
    - Excellent engine/transmission (smooth & fast)
    - Handles well for its size
    - Great brakes (did some hard stops with no fade)
    - Good highway cruiser (tall gears and no wind noise)
    - Lots' of 2nd row leg room and nice reclining features (well thought out)
    Cons:
    - Interior style/quality seemed too much like a pick-up truck. (Examples: The inside door panels, the center armrest console and the dashboard. Parts of the interior reminded me of a Nissan not a Toyota).
    - Steering is slightly over-assisted
    - Older tech 4WD (Should have went with AWD)
    - Overall the styling is not bad in person. The sides and the back of the 08' look good. The front-end looks too much like the Tundra pick-up (looks huge). Not crazy about the style of the 20inch rims. In time I think the style will grow on me.
    - Dealers are not willing to provide much of a discount off MSRP....yet.

I've waited a while for the 08' and test drove the Yukon Den, Navigator, MB GL450, Q56, LX 470 and others. I think paying full MSRP is too high (mid-$50k to $60k) for the Sequoia. Even though the Yukon and Navigator are in some ways are inferior to the Sequoia, it is hard to ignore them when they are being discounted at $10k off MSRP and can be purchased in the low 40's. Also, the LX470 is being heavily discounted now and it has some advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Sequoia within the same price range as the Platinum.

I will wait a couple weeks to see if they start selling them at $1k (or so) over invoice. If they do - I'll buy one. If not - there are some good second choices.
  • sequoianutsequoianut Member Posts: 2
    I have to disagree with you on your statements. Finally, I got a chance to test drive it today, here in Seattle. This particular model came in fully loaded with *every* possible option at the price tag of 59,640. (by the way next to the Sequoia there was 08 Land cruiser. Starting price 73,500). Anyway, interior is completely redesigned. (I am driving fully loaded 03 model, TRD, custom wheels, etc...) The ride was amazing. Smooth, but very powerful on pick up. Yes, I will probably wait till LX570, but you know that it will start at 80K and will go up from there. As for the value, towing 7300 camping trailer, and yet having a great luxury SUV, you can't beat it. Again, what do you get in 570 that you don't already have in this one? Self parking option? Video monitor under the side mirrors? Your needs might be different, but for someone who wants to camp and drive nice rig, this is by far good investment. Regards,
    "Older tech 4WD (Should have went with AWD) "

Whoa. What do you mean 'older tech?' I actually don't know much about the various 4WD/AWD systems. But I do know that if the two right or two left tires of a Highlander are on ice, they will just spin. I believe the Sequoia system does not have that problem. Are you sure AWD systems are better for serious use? Nothing I have read supports that.
    "Also, the LX470 is being heavily discounted now and it has some advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Sequoia within the same price range as the Platinum. "

I think it has the cast-iron low power 4.7 liter engine. Would anyone want that? I would not touch it. Either a 2008 Land Cruiser or a LX570, or the Sequoia 2008. That is all I would consider.
    I agree for serious off-road use - 4WD is better. However, for typical use (on pavement) I believe AWD is the better solution. The LX, LC, GX and 4-runner v8 are AWD. Also, the recent recall on the Tundra's 4WD system is not encouraging (same system as the new Sequoia).
    "I agree for serious off-road use - 4WD is better. However, for typical use (on pavement) I believe AWD is the better solution. "

I have a steep driveway and when it snows, I cannot get up in our Subaru AWD. Part of the reason why my wife and I picked the Sequoia was that it was a real truck. We were going to get a Sienna AWD but decided it would sometimes get into situations were we would be stuck. I very much want the ability to lock some differentials. If we wanted a cross-over vehicle we could have bought a Mazda CX9. I wanted the most serious and capable system. The fact that the Sequoia was 4WD helped sell me on it. But I could be wrong. As I said, I don't really understand how they all work.
    Sequoia definitely has the better engine (which is a big advantage). However, I think there are several advantages to the LX 470.
    1. Interior quality/styling (luxury)
    2. Ride quality (benchmark for smoothness)
    3. Proven reliability (most reliable SUV according to Consumer Reports)
    4. Exterior Styling (the LX still looks good after all these years and can't be confused with a pick-up truck)
    5. Dealer service (big difference between Lexus and Toyota service)
    When I see a LX470 I just see the old Land Cruiser. It will look dated super fast as the 2008 Land Cruisers are out. I would get a 2008 Land Cruiser any day over a LX470. I have no experience with Toyota service. I am happy with my Subaru and Honda service. It has to come down to individuals dealers.